TNT Greenlights Michael Bay's The Last Ship, Starring Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin

Get More: News, Series Orders

TNT The Last Ship Eric DaneTNT has ordered to series The Last Ship, a thriller drama based on the William Brinkley novel and executive-produced by filmmaker Michael Bay (Transformers).

The series follows the fallout of a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Among the few survivors are the crew of the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James, which is now summoned by a new President of the United States to do whatever possible to abate the crisis.

RELATED | TNT Renews Dallas for Season 3 — When Will It Return?

Eric Dane (Grey’s Anatomy) stars as Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man who lords over the Nathan James, while Tracy Middendorf (Boardwalk Empire) plays his wife Darien. Adam Baldwin (Chuck) plays Slattery,TheLastShip-DaneBaldwin the ship’s second-in-command who occasionally clashes with  Chandler over the best course of action, and Rhona Mitra (Strike Back) is Rachel Scott, a strong-willed paleomicrobiologist assigned to the Nathan James to investigate what caused of billions of deaths worldwide.

RELATED | Southland Producer Weighs In on TNT Drama’s Current Renewal Odds

Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form will serve as executive producers, along with showrunner Hank Steinberg (Without a Trace) and Steven Kane (The Closer), who cowrote the pilot.

The Last Ship‘s opening salvo of 10 episodes will launch in 2014. Here’s the trailer:

Comments (52)

• Let the Last Resort comparisons begin ?

Comment by Newo – May 7, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The last resort wasn’t about a virus and this is based on a novel

Comment by Tiffanie – May 7, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not even close. Anything that gets McSteamy back on my TV.. I’ll give a shot. Period.

Comment by DarkDefender – May 7, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thougths:
    - sounds a bit like Last Resort from ABC last year
    - Bryan Fuller will serve as an executive producer – Hannibal about to be cancelled?
    - cool cast!

Comment by jimbo – May 7, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brad Fuller. Not Bryan/Brian.

Comment by RibaMc – May 7, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, they changed it from Bryan to Brad.

Comment by jimbo – May 7, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Michael Bay TV show? How dare you, TNT. How dare you.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 7, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yawn..ill skip this

Comment by Jared – May 7, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great cast and Fuller as a producer, I am in.

Comment by Amanda – May 7, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they waiting a whole year to put this on? I read about this show a few months ago.

Comment by Tiffanie – May 7, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Dane looks damn good!

Comment by marge – May 7, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they cancelled Leverage for that?

Comment by boriqua1ny – May 7, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *sigh* there is just no common sense there at all. I miss Leverage. Thankfully, there are so many Leverage pages on fb.

Comment by Lolah – May 15, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a show I would normally watch, but I’ll give it a try for McSteamy and Jayne.

Comment by Molly – May 7, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to admit that I’ll watch almost anything Adam Baldwin is in. It gets a sampling from me simply on that basis.

Comment by Mari – May 7, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same.

Comment by Tracy – May 7, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree I will watch it because Adam Baldwin is in it.

Comment by Meridith – May 26, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. Not a Michael Bay fan at all, but I love Baldwin and Dane, so I’ll watch the pilot, at least.

Comment by Alia – May 7, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shiny!

Comment by DarkDefender – May 7, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great a michael bay tv show, thats what the people have been asking for.
    wish adam daldwin was getting better work than this, i think his old friend joss might have some work for him.

Comment by Alan – May 7, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It does look like The Last Resort….but that’s maybe why I just might watch it. TLR got better towards the end and I always thought it would have done a lot better if it was on cable and maybe this show will have better odds seeing it’s on cable and not a regular network. TLR averaged 6-8 millions viewers each week. For TNT that’s groundbreaking…..

Comment by Amanda – May 7, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the show is anything like Last Resort except it has the word “Last” in it. A better comparison to it would be the (retro?) movie Waterworld although even that is different. Looking forward to seeing this show as I like the dystopian genre. Speaking of, I really hope The 100 gets greenlit by CW at the upfronts–it’s my favourite pilot of this spring.

Comment by Ally Oop – May 8, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh, the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade on the high seas. Maybe this will last longer than 13 episodes. Michael Bay vs. Adam Baldwin… Baldwin wins. I’ll give it a shot

Comment by Randy – May 7, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin?? I’m in!!!

Comment by katy917 – May 7, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McSteamy is in it you say? ill definitely watch.

Comment by Elyse – May 7, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems entertaining enough, but there’s no longevity to it. I mean, how many seasons can the human race survive a pandemic before everyone is killed off?

Comment by TLRFan – May 7, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are actually being pretty smart about it, it is 10 episode season which is perfect for this type of show.

Comment by dmac – May 7, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, because this is about a submarine immediately it gets compared to Last Resort? Very short-sighted and shallow comparison. I normally don’t like anything that has to do with the military but this is an interesting concept and most importantly it has Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin so, how can I not? The only disappointing part is that we have to wait a whole year. I’m wondering if.this is the series that Tina Marjorino was picked up for and whether or not she will be back to Greys Anatomy. I like Mousy…Anywho, I’m thrilled about this news…McSteamy back on my tv screen… :-)

Comment by Babygate – May 7, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also…it’s clearly NOT a submarine.

Comment by Mel – May 8, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Sloan, I miss you! ):

Comment by nitemar – May 7, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I want ANSWERS!” “Take em OUT!” This looks dumber than dumb. “I WANT OUT!”

Comment by Alienate – May 7, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always wondered what happened to Tracy Middendorf, loved her on BH 90210 and New Nightmare.

Comment by Ed – May 7, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll try it.

Comment by Renee – May 7, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Bay’s producing vs. Adam Baldwin. Decisions, decisions…

Comment by Steve F. – May 7, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see this series lasting too long. While TNT is a good network, these military-type shows never last for too long. The Unit, The Last Resort, two of the latest military dramas, and both were canceled. This teaser doesn’t even do enough to get me interested in this series.

Comment by tamrae – May 7, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The difference between the Last Ship and other military shows that were cancelled is that they were on network and this is on cable.

Cable requires less ratings to get renewed so if the Last ship is a hit initially it will probably run for several seasons.

Hank Steinberg the creator of Without a Trace is the showrunner so he will be in charge of the show.

Michael Bay is one of the producers meaning that he will have little if any creative involvement.

Comment by Brian – May 7, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Dane, that cheeseball. Maybe he can release another sex tape after this show bombs.

Comment by Molly – May 7, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha +1

Comment by Ruby – May 8, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking just that. But I would rather see Adam Balwin in the video and have him in bed with Vera but thats just me.

Comment by Meridith – May 26, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds good, be better if they would hire Chyler Leigh! Miss Mark and Lexie together!!

Comment by K. – May 7, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL wouldn’t that be the funniest casting of them all BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA (but i would totally give up everything in my life for that to happen….)

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 7, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATED “Last Resort” so this is going to be awesome. The book was tremendous and this cast looks like it will do the book justice. I noticed a small change with the crisis being a global pandemic rather than a nuclear war but who cares…. Adam Freaking Baldwin AND Eric Dane together…OMG talk about McHottie and McSteamy good gracious…as for Rona Mitra, her character already slightly annoyed me in the trailer so hopefully that is just an anomaly. I’m just thrilled to see Adam and Eric back on my screen. Michael Bay has the money and experience to do this show right. Last Resort was just such an epic disappointment that this new show looks to be spectacular.

Comment by Ali – May 7, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sooooo Last Resort 2.0? Last Resort didn’t cut it w/ America so why not try another version of dudes on boats on a network w/ more creative freedom? mmmkay. maybe it’ll be bangin’, i dont know.

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 7, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Baldwin means series recording on my DVR.

Comment by Kayla – May 7, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort was about a submarine and that sub was not working for the US any more, the US tried to kill them. This is about a ship (The Last SHIP) and a virus.

I miss Mark and Lexie. Would give any show a chance as long as it had McSteamy.

Comment by J – May 8, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch Adam Baldwin in ANYTHING. I have adored his work ever since My Bodyguard. He may be a flaming Republican in real life, but on screen he is so magical I don’t even care.

Comment by Ruby – May 8, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay for Eric Dane!!

Comment by Lipstick Socialism – May 8, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rhona Mitra you say? I’m in. Loved her in Strike Back!

Comment by Dav – May 8, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! Adam Baldwin is back in a series!

Comment by TVDIVA – May 8, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear this, but why do we have to wait until the SUMMER OF 2014?? WTF?

I certainly hope Baldwin and Dane can find something to do before the show finally gets around to being aired. Good grief, I can’t survive that long with out Adam on my screen!

Comment by Ali – May 8, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gee, did I miss something somewhere? I didn’t see anything that specifically said “Summer” 2014, just 2014. And given the weird way TNT handles it’s seasons, who’s to say it won’t premiere in January or March? Granted, still a depressingly long wait for Adam’s next series, but…..

Comment by Zeph – June 6, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post