TNT Greenlights Michael Bay's The Last Ship, Starring Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin

TNT The Last Ship Eric DaneTNT has ordered to series The Last Ship, a thriller drama based on the William Brinkley novel and executive-produced by filmmaker Michael Bay (Transformers).

The series follows the fallout of a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Among the few survivors are the crew of the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James, which is now summoned by a new President of the United States to do whatever possible to abate the crisis.

RELATED | TNT Renews Dallas for Season 3 — When Will It Return?

Eric Dane (Grey’s Anatomy) stars as Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man who lords over the Nathan James, while Tracy Middendorf (Boardwalk Empire) plays his wife Darien. Adam Baldwin (Chuck) plays Slattery,TheLastShip-DaneBaldwin the ship’s second-in-command who occasionally clashes with  Chandler over the best course of action, and Rhona Mitra (Strike Back) is Rachel Scott, a strong-willed paleomicrobiologist assigned to the Nathan James to investigate what caused of billions of deaths worldwide.

RELATED | Southland Producer Weighs In on TNT Drama’s Current Renewal Odds

Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form will serve as executive producers, along with showrunner Hank Steinberg (Without a Trace) and Steven Kane (The Closer), who cowrote the pilot.

The Last Ship‘s opening salvo of 10 episodes will launch in 2014. Here’s the trailer:

1. Newo says:

Let the Last Resort comparisons begin ?

2. jimbo says:

Thougths:
    – sounds a bit like Last Resort from ABC last year
    – Bryan Fuller will serve as an executive producer – Hannibal about to be cancelled?
    – cool cast!

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

A Michael Bay TV show? How dare you, TNT. How dare you.

4. Jared says:

yawn..ill skip this

5. Amanda says:

Great cast and Fuller as a producer, I am in.

6. Tiffanie says:

Why are they waiting a whole year to put this on? I read about this show a few months ago.

7. marge says:

Eric Dane looks damn good!

8. boriqua1ny says:

they cancelled Leverage for that?

• Lolah says:

*sigh* there is just no common sense there at all. I miss Leverage. Thankfully, there are so many Leverage pages on fb.

9. Molly says:

Not a show I would normally watch, but I’ll give it a try for McSteamy and Jayne.

10. Alan says:

great a michael bay tv show, thats what the people have been asking for.
    wish adam daldwin was getting better work than this, i think his old friend joss might have some work for him.

11. Amanda says:

It does look like The Last Resort….but that’s maybe why I just might watch it. TLR got better towards the end and I always thought it would have done a lot better if it was on cable and maybe this show will have better odds seeing it’s on cable and not a regular network. TLR averaged 6-8 millions viewers each week. For TNT that’s groundbreaking…..

• Ally Oop says:

I don’t think the show is anything like Last Resort except it has the word “Last” in it. A better comparison to it would be the (retro?) movie Waterworld although even that is different. Looking forward to seeing this show as I like the dystopian genre. Speaking of, I really hope The 100 gets greenlit by CW at the upfronts–it’s my favourite pilot of this spring.

12. Randy says:

Ahh, the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade on the high seas. Maybe this will last longer than 13 episodes. Michael Bay vs. Adam Baldwin… Baldwin wins. I’ll give it a shot

13. katy917 says:

Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin?? I’m in!!!

14. Elyse says:

McSteamy is in it you say? ill definitely watch.

15. TLRFan says:

Seems entertaining enough, but there’s no longevity to it. I mean, how many seasons can the human race survive a pandemic before everyone is killed off?

• dmac says:

They are actually being pretty smart about it, it is 10 episode season which is perfect for this type of show.

16. Babygate says:

So, because this is about a submarine immediately it gets compared to Last Resort? Very short-sighted and shallow comparison. I normally don’t like anything that has to do with the military but this is an interesting concept and most importantly it has Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin so, how can I not? The only disappointing part is that we have to wait a whole year. I’m wondering if.this is the series that Tina Marjorino was picked up for and whether or not she will be back to Greys Anatomy. I like Mousy…Anywho, I’m thrilled about this news…McSteamy back on my tv screen… :-)

17. nitemar says:

Mark Sloan, I miss you! ):

18. Alienate says:

“I want ANSWERS!” “Take em OUT!” This looks dumber than dumb. “I WANT OUT!”

19. Ed says:

I always wondered what happened to Tracy Middendorf, loved her on BH 90210 and New Nightmare.

20. Renee says:

I’ll try it.

21. Steve F. says:

Michael Bay’s producing vs. Adam Baldwin. Decisions, decisions…

22. tamrae says:

I don’t see this series lasting too long. While TNT is a good network, these military-type shows never last for too long. The Unit, The Last Resort, two of the latest military dramas, and both were canceled. This teaser doesn’t even do enough to get me interested in this series.

23. Brian says:

The difference between the Last Ship and other military shows that were cancelled is that they were on network and this is on cable.

Cable requires less ratings to get renewed so if the Last ship is a hit initially it will probably run for several seasons.

Hank Steinberg the creator of Without a Trace is the showrunner so he will be in charge of the show.

Michael Bay is one of the producers meaning that he will have little if any creative involvement.

24. Molly says:

Eric Dane, that cheeseball. Maybe he can release another sex tape after this show bombs.

25. K. says:

Sounds good, be better if they would hire Chyler Leigh! Miss Mark and Lexie together!!

• cjeffery7 says:

LOL wouldn’t that be the funniest casting of them all BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA (but i would totally give up everything in my life for that to happen….)

26. Ali says:

I HATED “Last Resort” so this is going to be awesome. The book was tremendous and this cast looks like it will do the book justice. I noticed a small change with the crisis being a global pandemic rather than a nuclear war but who cares…. Adam Freaking Baldwin AND Eric Dane together…OMG talk about McHottie and McSteamy good gracious…as for Rona Mitra, her character already slightly annoyed me in the trailer so hopefully that is just an anomaly. I’m just thrilled to see Adam and Eric back on my screen. Michael Bay has the money and experience to do this show right. Last Resort was just such an epic disappointment that this new show looks to be spectacular.

27. cjeffery7 says:

sooooo Last Resort 2.0? Last Resort didn’t cut it w/ America so why not try another version of dudes on boats on a network w/ more creative freedom? mmmkay. maybe it’ll be bangin’, i dont know.

28. Kayla says:

Adam Baldwin means series recording on my DVR.

29. J says:

Last Resort was about a submarine and that sub was not working for the US any more, the US tried to kill them. This is about a ship (The Last SHIP) and a virus.

I miss Mark and Lexie. Would give any show a chance as long as it had McSteamy.

30. Ruby says:

I will watch Adam Baldwin in ANYTHING. I have adored his work ever since My Bodyguard. He may be a flaming Republican in real life, but on screen he is so magical I don’t even care.

31. Lipstick Socialism says:

yay for Eric Dane!!

32. Dav says:

Rhona Mitra you say? I’m in. Loved her in Strike Back!

33. TVDIVA says:

Hooray! Adam Baldwin is back in a series!

34. Ali says:

Very happy to hear this, but why do we have to wait until the SUMMER OF 2014?? WTF?

I certainly hope Baldwin and Dane can find something to do before the show finally gets around to being aired. Good grief, I can’t survive that long with out Adam on my screen!

• Zeph says:

Gee, did I miss something somewhere? I didn’t see anything that specifically said “Summer” 2014, just 2014. And given the weird way TNT handles it’s seasons, who’s to say it won’t premiere in January or March? Granted, still a depressingly long wait for Adam’s next series, but…..