The Voice Recap: Fishin' in the Dark [Updated]

The Voice - Season 4 RecapPeople say the darndest things on The Voice. Tonight’s Live Playoffs episode — featuring the members of Team Shakira and Team Blake fighting to make the Season 4 Top 12 — found host Carson Daly dropping this bomb mot: “It’s clear tonight that Blake [Shelton] doesn’t know where ‘the girl place’ is.” (Somewhere, someone at Parents Television Council HQ is firing off a strongly worded email.)

If that wasn’t enough, we had Blake blasting a fire hose of hyperbole at viewers by calling solid but hardly electrifying teenager Danielle Bradbery “one of the most important artists” who’s ever been on the show. (Whoa! Let’s slow down and see what young grasshopper does between now and June, okay?) And then there was social-media scourge Christina Milian excitedly suggesting that Sasha Allen’s daughter is probably more popular in school now because her mommy is on TV. Uff da.

I know, I know, I really ought to cut to the chase and talk about the night’s musical performances, but…well…I’ve got to confess to being a little disappointed in the overall product — especially because, despite the coaches’ unrelentingly positive feedback, no single act lived up to the level of Monday night’s breakout stars Amber Carrington, Michelle Chamuel and Sarah Simmons. Heck, I’m not sure anyone off Team Blake or Team Shakira did much better than Monday’s midpack players Caroline Glaser and Vedo.

But let’s get to the set list and letter grades! (Just to clarify, America will vote through two members of Team Blake and two from Team Shakira, then the coaches will save one of their two remaining “at risk” contestants.)

Team Shakira: Garrett Gardner — John Lennon’s “Imagine” | Was David Copperfield in the audience? Maybe that would explain how and why Garrett’s voice intermittently disappeared over the course of his performance. I know Shakira has a soft spot for the kid with the ring in his lip, but I’m confused why she’d saddle him with a song that’s been covered hundreds of times by stronger vocalists — and seems unlikely to get many iTunes downloads. (I mean, if you have John Lennon’s original, is there any reason you’d want Garrett’s? And if you don’t own Lennon’s, again, is there any reason you’d want Garrett’s?) Methinks Usher’s misspeak about seeing Garrett at the computer (as opposed to the piano) might have been a little bit of soothsaying. (Cue sad trombone.) Grade: C

Team Blake: Holly Tucker — LeAnn Rimes’ “How Do I Live” | First, the good news: Holly proved she’s got powerful pipes, and that fierce green sequin-trimmed dress showed she’s not yielding the fashion lane to her rivals just because she has confidence issues over not looking like a Barbie doll. I wish, though, she’d channeled some of her pre-performance angst into her vocal. Because while Holly’s “How Do I Live” was technically proficient, it lacked any real emotional heft. With her big, empty glory notes, Holly gave us a warming tray when we needed a raging bonfire. And if Blake decides to clear a path to the final for his other young, blonde country artist, Holly might be in big trouble come Wednesday. Grade: B-

Team Shakira: Kris Thomas — Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man” | To my ears, Kris encountered many of the same problems as Holly. Yeah, the guy’s got a natural gift, but a lot of his melodic choices felt like lace doilies on your great auntie’s end table: Frilly and dusty and ultimately unnecessary. Plus, Adam was right that Kris looked stiff and tense on the stage: He’ll need to really lay himself bare (emotionally) if he manages to survive into next week. Grade: B-

Team Blake: The Swon Brothers — Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Fishin’ in the Dark” | I know Grace Askew wasn’t 100 percent on pitch when she took on this duo in the Knockout Rounds, but seriously, Blake cut her to save these dudes? Yeah, their affable bro shtick is sweet, I guess, but their tone and delivery were as common as ants on a picnic blanket. I still can’t believe Adam is gonna have to send home one of his four fabulous women while these guys will probably advance to the Top 12. Universe, where is the justice anymore? Grade: C+

Team Shakira: Karina Iglesias — Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” | I must confess: I’ve got a weak spot for Karina’s jaw-trembling vibrato and her ALL CAPS brand of belting — even when her sense of rhythm ever-so-slightly fails her, and even when I’m forced to admit that she needs to infuse her performances with more dynamics. Like Shakira noted, Karina leaves everything on the stage — lungs, heart, kidney, spleen — to the point where it’s like The Voice had a crossover episode with Hannibal. And yes, I mean that as high praise! Grade: B+

Team Blake: Justin Rivers — Diamond Rio’s “Meet in the Middle” | I’ve never before heard the very middle-of-the-road “Meet in the Middle” — and I don’t care if I never hear it again — but that’s not to say Justin didn’t perform it with more heartfelt energy and enthusiasm than any other singer tonight. I know I wince every time a singer on a reality singing competition says something like “I just wanted to have fun,” but in this case, Justin really met that goal, and brought everybody else to the party, too. Not even the slight strain on his upper register or the gaggle of blandbots that surrounded him could stifle my enjoyment. Grade: B+

Team Blake: Danielle Bradbery — Pam Tillis’ “Maybe It Was Memphis” | Yes, yes, Danielle is going to cure the common cold and reintroduce classic country to today’s youth — at least if Blake is to be believed — but I think it’s a tad premature for Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift to ponder early retirement. No doubt Danielle has a grasp on pitch that’s beyond her years, but I felt like her stage presence was surprisingly tentative this week — maybe due to those painted-on, copper-colored jeans? (Note to stylists: Nobody needs to see a 16-year-old in any clothing — not even socks — that form-fitting!) That said, I did love Danielle showcasing her lilting head voice when the band backed off toward the end of the performance, but a little more plainspoken critique and a little less exaggerated flattery from the panel might actually help her chances going forward, no? Grade: B

Team Shakira: Sasha Allen — The Beatles’ “Oh! Darling” | Sasha is yet another Season 4 hopeful with undeniable vocal ability. The problem with her “Oh! Darling,” though, was that it read like she was playing the role of passionate rocker rather than actually being one. Well, and that screaming final note which was definitely more American Horror Story than American Idol. The pimp slot and the judges’ effusive praise means there’s no chance she’ll go home this week (or the next, or even the one after that), but until she can tamp down the “look what I can do!” vocal grandstanding and really feel the music, I can’t see her taking home the whole enchilada. Grade: B+

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Night 2 of the Live Playoffs? Who was your favorite? Who’s going to be in trouble come results night? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. matt says:

” …but until she can tamp down the “look what I can do!” vocal grandstanding and really feel the music, I can’t see her taking home the whole enchilada. Grade: B+” you said regarding Sasha. Uh, remember the winner of Season 2? (Can’t remember his name, he was a handsome bald black guy)

2. Karen says:

Anyone notice how Blake’s contestants all seemed to be singing Karaoke?? They all did decent versions of the songs, but none showed their own style. I remember all the songs they did. Funny how he says to find that moment, cuz none of his team did.
    Where as Shakira’s team all put their style on it, I am not familiar with the song Kris did, so not sure on it. When I vote I am only going for Sasha and Karina, maybe Garrett, tonight.
    Last night was definitely the better show. Sasha brought the sexy to the song, though I agree the final note was a but much.
    It will be interesting to see who stays.
    I think either the Swons or Justin will go on Blake’s team.
    Kris or Garrett on Shakira’s
    While I think Judith is a power house singer, she needs to feel her music more, I would let her go based on last night’s performance, butI don’t think Adam will. I like Caroline, even if I can’t understand her, but she will likely go.
    Usher’s team should lose Josiah, will likely lose Cathia or Vedo.

• MC says:

Good comments. I think Judith is wonderful, but came off as a tad pretentious this week. She probably lost some traction with many voters due to that misfired cover. I thought Sasha delivered a fairly bold update of a rather ancient track. I actually forgot that it was a very old song while she sang it. Did she overkill a couple of notes? Yeah, but with good reason. It’s a crowded field of talented people and you have to bring some drama to make an impression. Sasha reminded me of Amanda with this performance, and that’s a good thing in my book. I think Caroline and Cathia are in deep trouble tonight. I hope Shakira lets go of Garrett. I love Danielle’s potential and her crisp, clear voice. I think she would have made an even bigger impression if not for those stupid form-fitting jeans (a horrible choice by the stylists). Danielle was vocally spot-on and the itunes sales show that she is rightfully gaining in popularity.

3. Brandon says:

Thank you Michael for hitting the biggest issue I have with Sasha. She’s technically very good but her attempts to showcase her big voice is getting very annoying. Her vibrato and runs need some work too because those make up about half her performance (I’m overexaggerating but that is what sticks in my mind). She didn’t have the best overall performance in my opinion; that honor goes to Danielle.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

The thing is then why is he so crazy for Candice (talk about runs all over) or Sarah (he know started adding runs and all sorts of whatever to Angel which really, reallllly doesn’t need that,a nd they were not even well placed) then??

4. Karen says:

Well, Danielle’s at # 10, but Amber is at 17, and Sasha is the only one of tonight’s performers in the top 50, while Michele, Caroline and Sarah are still in the top 50.
    I miss Luke also, I keep playing Teenage Dream for people, stupid Blake and his tobacco spitting team.

• Bessie says:

hahahahahhahah, sorry, I just got a picture in my head of Danielle spitting tobacco and it made me laugh. But you’re right, way too much country on Team Blake. This is my first year watching the Voice… has Blake always picked 100% country artists for his team?

5. Fall says:

What really annoyed me in this episode was the way Blake oversold every single one of his contestants just the way he did last season. They’re all average and there was their “proud papa” saying that there’s nothing else like them in the music business. He should be less of a team leader and more of a judge with his own team.
    I expected far more from team Shakira tonight even though Sasha was great and Karina displayed a lot of power. Imagine was a poor choice and I never got Kris Thomas.
    My predictions for the bottom 2:
    Adam: Caroline and… I’m not sure? Sarah is definitely moving on but I don’t know about the other least voted one. Amber is getting high praise and charting high while Judith has always been praised and got the pimp spot so it could go either way. Caroline will be sent home anyway.
    Usher: Cathia and VEDO. Cathia is getting the boot (unfortunately).
    Blake: Swon bros. and Holly. Swon bros should be eliminated but Blake may want to wipe the path for Danielle.
    Shakira: Karina and Kris. Not sure about this one.

• Slayed says:

You’ll be really disappointed when Caroline proceeds without even needing Adam’s save. The audience love her, she’s big on iTunes and has a great sound and unique voice, just because she doesn’t scream like the dire Sarah, doesn’t mean she’s not a good singer.

• Fall says:

I love Caroline and I’d be thrilled if she moves on, but I can’t really see that happening. She’s big on iTunes but still lower than Sarah and Amber.

6. Para says:

I think Michele from team usher is best among all!

7. taj1107 says:

I personally enjoyed Justin’s performance. It had a concert feel. He seems to be a natural performer. If you really think about it, big voices are becoming a dime a dozen. givemea performanceor a unique voice. But performances aside, did you see Justin’s wife. Wow, she is beautiful!

8. Rac says:

I love Maybe it was Memphis and I like Daniell but Blake that was NOT a good song choice–a 16 yr old DOES NOT have the life experience to even understand that song and do it justice–sheesh!

• Spudd says:

Blake needs to let Danielle sing ‘Independence Day’ by Martina McBride! She’ll do it JUSTICE!

9. twnkltoze says:

Sharps and flats all night. It seems there is plenty of power vocals but little control yet not one mention of this painful pitchiness all night. Not even Slezak mentioned it. Karina was the worst offender of them all. Let’s show some control People!! With that said, I enjoyed tonight’s performances much better than Monday nights.

• Daisy says:

I thought I was the only one who thought that about Karina. I thought she was off throughout the entire beginning of the song and then she just lost me because I thought it was so bad!

• The Beach says:

Check page one. I mentioned how sharp Karina was on many of her notes.

10. jazzy says:

Sasha does not know who she is as an artist, just like the other black woman last year, beautiful extremely talented but generic. She sings a little of this and a little of that.

Wrong song choice for the Swon Brothers. It made them generic too. Think about American Girl, fun, rock/country, that’s who they are. I hope they stay another week to prove themselves.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I kinda like it when they have the skills to sing this and that. You can still bring your own thing to completely different things and be yourself. It’s less boring too.
      Wouldn’t you rather Amanda Brown than say Scotty McCreery singing everything form opera to heavy metal as the exact same country tune?

• jazzy says:

Amanda, couldn’t recall her name. There are not too many artists that can a sing a little of this and that, albeit well, that ever make it. We know exactly who a successful artist is and what genre we can put them into. Further the artist truly knows who they are which makes their art more genuine. I think Sasha is amazing. Just not distinguishable, yet. The voice is going to make it worse for her by putting her in different outfits every week depending on what she’s singing, although I have confidence in Shakira. Speaking of which, we now exactly who Shakira is as an artist. Would I rather hear her or Amanda vs Scotty McReery if that were my only choice. Of course. : )

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Although actually Shakira sort of shows that it is possible to do some of this and some of that and still be yourself and have mega success. She has put out songs in countless different styles from auto-tuned pop to folksy accoustic to hard rocking.

11. Rain says:

Wow, someone’s in a cranky mood Mr. Slezak. Last night’s performances were WAAAAY better than Monday night. As a country music fan, it’s really nice to hear songs I know and love and not the new crap that’s ruining the genre in my opinion. I haven’t been able to stop singing “Fishin’ in the Dark” all morning! I wasn’t a huge fan of The Swon Brothers in the beginning but they’re def. growing on me. I really loved it last night. I personally LOVE the song “Meet in the Middle” and think Justin did a great job with it (plus, totally shallow I know, but he’s freakin’ gorgeous!) I know I seem to be the odd duck on this but my least favorite from Blake’s team is Danielle. If I had to choose between her and Holly based solely on last night I’d go with Holly. She might have esteem issues but her voice is so powerful and pure. Danielle is cute but just not my cup of tea.

As for Team Shakira – ugh, Garrett. I haven’t liked him from day one and now that’s he’s totally trashed one of my very favorite songs I’d like it if I never have to hear his voice again. I’m so/so on Karina – I love her consistent power and passion and she has a gorgeous voice but the constant vibrato drives me batty. I thought she was fantastic on We Are the Champions. Kris’ cover of Bruno Mars was beautiful and if I used iTunes I would have to buy it. Sasha – I can’t even! That was just freakin’ outstanding and moving and the girl is sexy as all get out! What I wouldn’t give to wear an outfit like that and rock it the way she did!

12. starship says:

Sasha was the best of both nights by a very wide margin. Garett was the only other one I liked last night. The rest of team Shakira had some pitch problems and as for Blake’s team, the song choices were so bland, I couldn’t even pay attention to them. I can easily see no one from Blake’s team making it to the finale this year. If people want country, Adam’s got a country singer that’s 20 times better than anyone on Team Blake.

13. Jack says:

I guess Michael has never had to sing harmonies before. It is incredibly difficult to do what the Swon Brothers do every time they’re on stage. I heard zero pitch problems. I guess Michael’s just bitter over Grace Askew (gag) getting sent home.

• Jonna says:

They’re a duo. By choice. If singing harmonies is difficult for them, they should be soloists. There’s no excuse for poor harmonies.

14. Bessie says:

Dear Team Shakira, sorry to inform you but you are def not the champions

15. Bessie says:

Overall lackluster night for me but I think it’s mostly because I am not a fan of country music, like not at all, not even a little. And seeing Blake leap to his feet time and time again and hooting and hollering for those lame performances made me wince. My fave of his team was probably Holly but she better drop the pity party right quick, plus she should listen to what she’s singing, that was a sad song and she smiled all the way through it. Shakira’s team is very weak but if I had to pick a fave it would be Sasha even though I was gasping, and not in a good way, at some of the sounds that were coming out of her mouth during Oh Darling.

16. Bessie says:

My guesses on who is leaving tonight:

Team Adam – Sarah
    Team Usher – Cathia
    Team Blake – Swon Brothers
    Team Shakira – Garrett

17. kiki says:

Okay So I do not agree with Sasha’s grade .She deserves at least an A!!!She really brought it and the performance was about desperation and Shakira did advise her to do those runs and to bring out the sexiness ,which she did.
    Im in love with Sasha’s voice since her blind audtion.And she hasn’t disappointed me Im having Amanda Brown revival with her.
    I have to say that she has to be careful not to oversing now that we can see what she is made of!!!If I hope shehas a great song choice next week because I believe she is staying!!
    Sasha was the only one I was excited to see tonight but I was surprised that I liked Danielle performance,it was solid.I am not a fan of country and all except a couple of artists like Leanna,Miranda,Blake,Lady ANtebellum ,Leanna but that was really good.I also thoyght Holly’s vocals were great but emotion width, I didn’t connect at all.
    Kris did good but I couldn’t stop thinking about Candice Glover last week’s performance and he didn’t change a lot of it and Bruno is just beyond compare.
    I can’t comment on the Swon brothers because I left and made some hot chocolate I couldn’t focus!I also thought that Justin Rivers owned the stage .Always Team Shakira I didn’t feel Garret’s performance,It was over done by so many great people.Brought back memories to me instead Karina was good as well.She is a real performer!!

Im definitely supporting SASHA FREAKING ALLEN but I also really Like Amber ,Judith,Sarah,Michelle,Vedo,Danielle (shocker).

Omg it was also so funny when Usher and Blake were like”you gave her up”ilool I bet Adam was like “I wish I could turn back time” but I did understand why because he didn’t wanna deal with her and Judith and they are both great.would lose it I guess.

I also noticed how Usher was looking at her,he was completely sold by the end of it and I couldn’t help but imagining a duet of those two.Usher commenting on her outfit and that smitten face.We cant blame you.She was stunning,gorgeous.I didn’t say anything.Let’s move on!!!

It’s gonna be tough for Adam.I guess America will vote for Amber and Sarah based on last nigt and Adam will chose Judith?Thats what I hope for.

#SASHA FOR THE WIN

18. Spudd says:

Danielle is in it to win it! Just base on the itunes sales, currently #4. People are buying her song. It’s good enough that people are paying for it. It’s too early to tell over the long haul. But Danielle has the star factor indeed!

• ETG says:

I think people will tire of her after a while, once the real live shows begin. There are just TOO many other contestants who are MUCH more talented.

19. Jake says:

Garrett Gardner = Colton Dixon

• Spudd says:

I thought the same thing too! I think he should be gone. He’s an average singer. Maybe he should do his hair like Colton? O BTW! I like all the groovy people’s comments on this forum. Very well spoken with no profanity. Love you folks and opinions and thoughts.

20. tommy says:

Who I hope goes home:

Team Adam: Judith (a great singer, not an artist)
    Team Shakira: Kris
    Team Usher: Who is on team usher again? oh yeah Cathia
    Team Blake: Swon Brothers

Are they doing it again this year where people get voted off based on votes and irregardless of coaches (ala early exit for Xtina?) in the next round? I hope so, Team Adam should not be broken up any further!

• Sheilalala says:

Who I wish was going home:

Team Adam: None

Team Shakira: Kris and Garrett

Team Usher: Josiah

Team Blake: Holly

Who I think is going home:

Team Adam: Judith (is the only teamadam not charting on itunes) which will be a travesty when ‘artists” like Garrett will get to stay

Team Shakira: Karina (no bueno on itunes)

Team Usher: Cathia (another travesty)

Team Blake: Holly, even though Blake will cry (Swon bros are charting ?!)

• Fall says:

I don’t think that iTunes sales matter that much to the result at this point.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Apparently not text votes nor online votes either hah as they just announced that due to problems they had to toss all text and online votes! They say that they certified that it made no difference, but how can you know if the system wasn’t working right??? I guess maybe it was only in some very specific ways.
          I did notice that last night voting disappeared from the iPad app and that the night before I’d hit 1,2,3 and then it would like go to 10 votes or someone (not that I minded, it just saved me a little time).

21. Margaret says:

‘How Do I Live’ is Trisha Yearwood’s song.

22. Rachel says:

There’s no denying that Karina’s good, but I just can’t get into her STYLE OF SINGING LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT AND VIBRATO VIBRATO VIBRATO. Can she do quiet?

23. Holly says:

I guess maybe my taste in music is different than everyone else on here. I think Sasha is horrible and just screams everything which is not singing. I think Judith is a been there done that kind of singer. However, I think Amber is amazing! Michelle is new and interesting and sings with such passion! The Swon brothers on top of being cute are talented beyond belief, harmonizing is a hard thing to do! Kris Thomas needs to get rid of the nerves and then he is amazing! Josiah has so much talent that needs to be developed!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I think most seem to be with you regarding Amber and Michelle. They have been getting a lot of love here.

24. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Awesome to have CeeLo and Juliet back on the stage again!

25. HitTheGroundRunning says:

dammit I knew it, that sucked, not fair at all either

• ETG says:

What??? I didn’t get to watch. Who left??

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

hopefully it’s OK to put spoilers up now but I’m not sure it hit West Coast yet, only just starting but hopefully this is OK (I think Michael will be busy with Idol for a long time before getting The Voice results page up, they really need to put up near blank pages ahead of time):
        SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st America saved Holly over Justin which I didn’t really agree with and then Blake saved the Swon brothers over Justin which I really didn’t agree with. Neither are among my overall favorites so it didn’t disgust me or anything though but I didn’t agree with it.
        2nd I didn’t agree that America took Kris over Karina and then, although I didn’t see Garrett last night so I can’t go by last night, I don’t know that I agree with Shakira saving him over Karina. Boy you could tell she really cares about them so much though. Same as above.
        3rd First America saved Vedo over Cathia which really annoyed me and then Usher just utterly pissed me off you just knew already from before Cathia even stepped out he was all hot for Josiah so Josiah would get saved and that he did. Sooooo unfair. She has had a much stronger overall track record and she had a tough song she pulled off the other night. I got the impression that he was counting on it not being Cathia vs Josiah (because he said so). I have a feeling that means he would’ve saved Cathia over Vedo and same goes for Josiah over Vedo. I just wish America had saved Josiah so Cathia could’be been put through (or saved her directly). I knew it wouldn’t happen since that song just never ever gets contestants votes and then I just knew Usher was all set to save his man Josiah, that one disgusted me. So unfair. His team is all dull now overall. MIchelle is cool of course.
        4th I actually, for once, totally agree with what America did here. I can’t really argue for or against Adam’s choice. I think Sarah has been stronger overall but I thought she was scarily off the rails last night and even tonight she seemed a bit week in the group songs.

SPOILERS ABOVE

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

But
        SPOILERS:

..DOn’t get too worried as all the biggest of the big guns Amber, Sasha, Michelle soared through with ease as expected and Judith too (and some were not expecting it going by iTunes). Or Danielle (also safe) for those who put her up there. I put her in more in the second rank with Cathia (gone, unfair).

SPPOILERS ABOVE

26. HitTheGroundRunning says:

So far I was not in favor of any of the saves and one just really disgusted me.

• matt says:

Which one?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

see my post above for details but
        SPOILER ALERT
        Cathia, Usher freakin dumped her for Josiah!! And America saved Vedo over her! Had it been her vs Vedo it sounded, reading between the lines, Usher would’ve actually saved her. Damn. Her kinda singer always gets cut this round. She had a way stronger overall season than Josiah so far. Disgusted.

….

SPOILERS ABOVE

• Sheilalala says:

This is why the Voice can be so infuriating (and exciting I guess). Ryan Innes gets a 4 chair turn and button pushes by Adam and Blake before he finishes the word “Gravityyyyyyy..”, Usher picks Cathia over him in Knockouts, then it comes down to a choice between Cathia and Josiah (and Usher picks his boyfriend) when Josiah (GURAGHHHH!! The blue steeling bugggggs) could never hold a candle to Ryan Innes…so weird…

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah I know. So basically for all that we traded Ryan for Josiah??? WTH. Come on now man. At least Cathia for Ryan gave us something more. Maybe Usher thinks the Josiah look will get the girl vote but if that was so then how did Vedo beat him out? So he shoulda gone Cathia!
            And you always end up with the top 12 having a bunch who are much weaker than some who get cut.
            It’s also weird that it is almost like Idol all the guys who seemed to have promise like Ryan, Warren, Justin, etc. are gone before it even begins.
            And pop females sure have a rough time going far (well other than Cassidee I guess hah she never did any diva pop though I guess) and latina pop females always cut a frustrating cut during this round it seems. Even with Shakira all gone.
            So disgusted over the Cathia thing! At the least Amber, Sasha, Michelle all made it or I’d be all Tasmanian Devil-level apoplectic hah.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

But Usher seemed all into his Josiah bromance (I guess even super cute Cathia wasn’t enough to break up the bromance) the way Adam was into his bromances his first season. When it was between those two my heart sank.

• matt says:

I think even if Cathia had sung that song better than Whitney the judges would still be like “oh you should never sing a Whitney song that’s sacred ground , etc” Things seemed to be arranged against her, it’s been the real low point of the season so far for me, their treatment of her.

• Sheilalala says:

Totally agree Matt-and she has a more amazing voice than at least 1/3 of those left-and great stage presence

27. Sara says:

I am so confused by the critique on Sasha Allen. If I remember correctly (and it is entirely possible that I am wrong), Slezak loved it when Amanda Brown did almost the exact same note at the end of Dream On last season, but when Sasha does it, it is American Horror Story? I really don’t understand how he can totally love on Amanda Brown last season and rag on Sasha this season.

28. marshall says:

hey michael, i gotta say, i’ve been following your stuff and watching your videos since EW, so i kind of get why you love some things and why you don’t like other stuff. but i really don’t get why you’re “hating” on sasha allen (and i’m hoping americal idol’s season six standout melinda doolittle will agree with me on this). sasha’s doing a brilliant job connecting with the words and emotion of the songs she’s doing — come on, she’s got broadway background — and i don’t see a hint of that smugness you mentioned before. heck, if you want to talk smug, let’s bring up judith hill! seriously, i don’t think you’re giving sasha enough credit for trying to mix it up a little (and you know you always get on the idol judges’ case when they don’t do that for those contestants). i think she’s really blossoming under shakira’s mentoring, and moving past her theatrical and technical training to become a proper soul singer who feels the music and the melody, certainly a lot more than half the other contestants.