The Voice Recap: Fishin' in the Dark [Updated]

The Voice - Season 4 RecapPeople say the darndest things on The Voice. Tonight’s Live Playoffs episode — featuring the members of Team Shakira and Team Blake fighting to make the Season 4 Top 12 — found host Carson Daly dropping this bomb mot: “It’s clear tonight that Blake [Shelton] doesn’t know where ‘the girl place’ is.” (Somewhere, someone at Parents Television Council HQ is firing off a strongly worded email.)

If that wasn’t enough, we had Blake blasting a fire hose of hyperbole at viewers by calling solid but hardly electrifying teenager Danielle Bradbery “one of the most important artists” who’s ever been on the show. (Whoa! Let’s slow down and see what young grasshopper does between now and June, okay?) And then there was social-media scourge Christina Milian excitedly suggesting that Sasha Allen’s daughter is probably more popular in school now because her mommy is on TV. Uff da.

I know, I know, I really ought to cut to the chase and talk about the night’s musical performances, but…well…I’ve got to confess to being a little disappointed in the overall product — especially because, despite the coaches’ unrelentingly positive feedback, no single act lived up to the level of Monday night’s breakout stars Amber Carrington, Michelle Chamuel and Sarah Simmons. Heck, I’m not sure anyone off Team Blake or Team Shakira did much better than Monday’s midpack players Caroline Glaser and Vedo.

But let’s get to the set list and letter grades! (Just to clarify, America will vote through two members of Team Blake and two from Team Shakira, then the coaches will save one of their two remaining “at risk” contestants.)

Team Shakira: Garrett Gardner — John Lennon’s “Imagine” | Was David Copperfield in the audience? Maybe that would explain how and why Garrett’s voice intermittently disappeared over the course of his performance. I know Shakira has a soft spot for the kid with the ring in his lip, but I’m confused why she’d saddle him with a song that’s been covered hundreds of times by stronger vocalists — and seems unlikely to get many iTunes downloads. (I mean, if you have John Lennon’s original, is there any reason you’d want Garrett’s? And if you don’t own Lennon’s, again, is there any reason you’d want Garrett’s?) Methinks Usher’s misspeak about seeing Garrett at the computer (as opposed to the piano) might have been a little bit of soothsaying. (Cue sad trombone.) Grade: C

Team Blake: Holly Tucker — LeAnn Rimes’ “How Do I Live” | First, the good news: Holly proved she’s got powerful pipes, and that fierce green sequin-trimmed dress showed she’s not yielding the fashion lane to her rivals just because she has confidence issues over not looking like a Barbie doll. I wish, though, she’d channeled some of her pre-performance angst into her vocal. Because while Holly’s “How Do I Live” was technically proficient, it lacked any real emotional heft. With her big, empty glory notes, Holly gave us a warming tray when we needed a raging bonfire. And if Blake decides to clear a path to the final for his other young, blonde country artist, Holly might be in big trouble come Wednesday. Grade: B-

Team Shakira: Kris Thomas — Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man” | To my ears, Kris encountered many of the same problems as Holly. Yeah, the guy’s got a natural gift, but a lot of his melodic choices felt like lace doilies on your great auntie’s end table: Frilly and dusty and ultimately unnecessary. Plus, Adam was right that Kris looked stiff and tense on the stage: He’ll need to really lay himself bare (emotionally) if he manages to survive into next week. Grade: B-

Team Blake: The Swon Brothers — Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Fishin’ in the Dark” | I know Grace Askew wasn’t 100 percent on pitch when she took on this duo in the Knockout Rounds, but seriously, Blake cut her to save these dudes? Yeah, their affable bro shtick is sweet, I guess, but their tone and delivery were as common as ants on a picnic blanket. I still can’t believe Adam is gonna have to send home one of his four fabulous women while these guys will probably advance to the Top 12. Universe, where is the justice anymore? Grade: C+

Team Shakira: Karina Iglesias — Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” | I must confess: I’ve got a weak spot for Karina’s jaw-trembling vibrato and her ALL CAPS brand of belting — even when her sense of rhythm ever-so-slightly fails her, and even when I’m forced to admit that she needs to infuse her performances with more dynamics. Like Shakira noted, Karina leaves everything on the stage — lungs, heart, kidney, spleen — to the point where it’s like The Voice had a crossover episode with Hannibal. And yes, I mean that as high praise! Grade: B+

Team Blake: Justin Rivers — Diamond Rio’s “Meet in the Middle” | I’ve never before heard the very middle-of-the-road “Meet in the Middle” — and I don’t care if I never hear it again — but that’s not to say Justin didn’t perform it with more heartfelt energy and enthusiasm than any other singer tonight. I know I wince every time a singer on a reality singing competition says something like “I just wanted to have fun,” but in this case, Justin really met that goal, and brought everybody else to the party, too. Not even the slight strain on his upper register or the gaggle of blandbots that surrounded him could stifle my enjoyment. Grade: B+

Team Blake: Danielle Bradbery — Pam Tillis’ “Maybe It Was Memphis” | Yes, yes, Danielle is going to cure the common cold and reintroduce classic country to today’s youth — at least if Blake is to be believed — but I think it’s a tad premature for Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift to ponder early retirement. No doubt Danielle has a grasp on pitch that’s beyond her years, but I felt like her stage presence was surprisingly tentative this week — maybe due to those painted-on, copper-colored jeans? (Note to stylists: Nobody needs to see a 16-year-old in any clothing — not even socks — that form-fitting!) That said, I did love Danielle showcasing her lilting head voice when the band backed off toward the end of the performance, but a little more plainspoken critique and a little less exaggerated flattery from the panel might actually help her chances going forward, no? Grade: B

Team Shakira: Sasha Allen — The Beatles’ “Oh! Darling” | Sasha is yet another Season 4 hopeful with undeniable vocal ability. The problem with her “Oh! Darling,” though, was that it read like she was playing the role of passionate rocker rather than actually being one. Well, and that screaming final note which was definitely more American Horror Story than American Idol. The pimp slot and the judges’ effusive praise means there’s no chance she’ll go home this week (or the next, or even the one after that), but until she can tamp down the “look what I can do!” vocal grandstanding and really feel the music, I can’t see her taking home the whole enchilada. Grade: B+

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Night 2 of the Live Playoffs? Who was your favorite? Who’s going to be in trouble come results night? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (300)

• I see Michael’s grades are a lot lower than mine. That’s the nice thing about these shows (and this blog for that matter), people can have different opinions and there’s no real right or wrong. Just opinions.
    I thought it was another good show. I didn’t think it quite lived up to yesterdays, but still a pretty strong show. The best song of the round was sang tonight, but there were a few underwhelming performances today where as I thought there was only 1 not so great yesterday.
    I finally got on board w/ the Swon brothers. Danielle is the first kid since Allison on AI a few years ago who I think belongs in the finals of a show like this.
    On Shakira’s team Sasha Allen, WOW!!! Real nice job. I woke up to Garrett. I guess he’d be the 2nd kid who belongs in the finals of a show like this. If I’m not mistaken he’s 17. So 2 kids who are doing pretty well.
    On the downer side of things, I didn’t think Karina did that well. She was one of my favorites coming into this round. I also didn’t care for Kris or Holly. I’m not saying they did a poor job, they just didn’t register w/ me. At least Kris’ solo didn’t register. I thought he was real good on the group song.
    I wonder if Adam’s moaning about losing Karina has any meaning towards Judith. I thought Judith was a lot better last night than Karina was today.
    My rankings would be
    Team Blake: Swon Brothers, Danielle, Justin, Holly
    Team Shakira: Sasha (#1 overall for this round), Garrett, Kris, Karina

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Danielle has earned her spot at this level. She is some kind of singing machine. I assume when she is older her performances will resonate more with life experience and such. She was solid though – and the best by far on Blake’s team (which I found quite ordinary by country standards or any standard really.) I find it funny that the best country singer is on Adam’s team. I find Sasha a bit robotic – and can’t really connect with her because of it. She can sing though…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree with you on Sasha, like Candice on American Idol, great vocals. But there’s no connection whatsoever.

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you implying that Candice has no connection to the music? I haven’t seen enough of Sasha, but Candice digs deep into each song.

Comment by MC – May 7, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I meant the viewers can’t connect with her and her bland personality, same with Kree. Yippy skippy!! I’m surprise Judith Hill is not even on the itunes chart today. Danielle is already #12. Could go top ten? But you’re right too…have not seen enough of Sasha. She is a hottie, her looks reminds me of Aaliyah.

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
          • Very easy for you to see more of Sasha! Go to Youtube! Some of you are playing games! Sasha is fabulous.

Comment by Lynn – May 8, 2013 12:10 AM PDT
          • Wow. Some people look for something different in a song dont they? Or surrounding or decorating, or accessorizing. Candice knocks the living guts out of everything she sings.I really dont’ care about her soundbites.

Comment by syb – May 8, 2013 12:11 AM PDT
          • How do you figure Candice digs deep into every song? She (and all the top 4 over there) are as bland as can be.

Comment by Adeem – May 8, 2013 05:14 AM PDT
        • Is that why the audience always gives her a standing ovation? Pleaseeee! I don’t believe you!

Comment by Helene – May 8, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Standing ovations cost the audience nothing and are worth that amount on a singing show.

Comment by Adeem – May 8, 2013 05:17 AM PDT
        • I can’t believe these write ups. They really feel like a angry parent of a singer or upset fan! Get Real. That Sasha was awesome!

Comment by Ashante – May 9, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Connection! A standing ovation is a connection! The audience loved her! So did America! So, I guess you were wrong.

Comment by Ashante – May 9, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have a bad feeling that Amber is at a disadvantage being a country singer on Team Adam because country fans are more likely to be a fan of Blake than Adam and therefore are probably more likely to support a Blake team member over an Adam team member in the same genre.

Comment by Jonna – May 8, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blake: Justin>Danielle>Swon Bros>>>Holly
      Shakira: Sasha>>>>Karina>>>Kris (I missed Garrett, was forced to step away so I can’t really comment, it sounds like he may have done well though.) (and I put all the >>>>>>> before Karina thinking Karina did well)
      Sasha was just insane and I even have to put here above yesterday’s #1 of Amber and yesterday’s #2 of Michelle. And like Sahsa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sarah

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That last part didn’t come out but it was Sasha nearly infinitely far ahead of Sarah (I liked Sarah before too but last night was not her best).

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THANK YOU!!! I love Sarah too but I think she did not so well last night. Very pitchy. Amber did indeed do well and actually better than Sarah last night. I don’t say that lightly either. I don’t even recognize Amber she has grown so much! My husband does not agree with me on the Sarah thing. I also love Garrett and I think not only did he do well tonight (not phenomenal, but good), I think he is going to get voted through this week.

Comment by Laurie Kester-Havens (@LauriHavenMusic) – May 7, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No. Why are people bashing Sarah Simmons excessively? It’s like one person made a negative comment calling her overrated and there’s a lemming effect. You want overrated, it’s Blake’s most important super awe inspiring, changes the world with just one note singer (go home, Blake, you’re drunk), Danielle.

Comment by NedPepper – May 7, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Hit, I agree there’s a pretty big gap between Sasha & then Garrett. At least in my book he was 2nd. Then there’s another gap between him & the next two. I had her as the best of the round, all 4 teams. I haven’t ranked em all, but he’d be middle of the pack for both days.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually liked Karina though so my gap was more putting Sasha way up there than Karina way down there though hah.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha was incredible!!!! Sasha, Sasha, Sasha…so much soul!!!

Comment by Lynn Henderson – May 7, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha! Be honest. She was awesome!

Comment by Helene – May 7, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, I thought Karina’s song was hot mess. She can sing, of course, but that wasn’t pleasant to listen to.

Comment by Truly – May 7, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Karina was terrible. B+? I’d give it a D at best. On the plus side, Danielle and Sasha really killed it.

Comment by Timmah – May 7, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank god I’m not the only one. I thought for sure the judges would say something about the way she totally lost the melody in the beginning of the song–she just sounded off. I left the room during her performance because I thought it was horrible and then the judges were fawning all over her. I just don’t get it–between the knockout round and this she has not been her best. I’m just glad that I’m not alone in thinking that Karina is way overrated (IMHO)! :)

Comment by Daisy – May 8, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Garrett and Danielle too. I thought they did very well tonight. Way better than he rated them! LOL!

Comment by Laurie Kester-Havens (@LauriHavenMusic) – May 7, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How can people criticize American Idol for it’s song list? Really this list of songs is terrible!!

Comment by Mack – May 7, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha #1 Don’t matter …We know you did as Shakira asked ….and it was fantastic!

Comment by George – May 7, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overall, disappointing night. No one came close to Amber or Michelle. I wish we could eliminate Garret and Kris or Holly and the duo who somehow went farther than Midas Whale and keep all of Adam’s team!

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The more the Swan Brothers sing the more ordinary they appear. They are not a great country duo. They are not a great duo. They are just *fine*, but no better than any coffee house singer, if that.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Adeem – May 7, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree

Comment by allie – May 7, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. I prefer Christian and Grace over the Bros. And I’m tired of Blake cheerleading his very ordinary team.

Comment by Lee – May 8, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they’ll be singing their swon song tonight.

Comment by Bessie – May 8, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah Sasha was definitely above even Amber and Michelle and that is saying a lot.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sasha was absolutely fantastic! She was the best of both nights imo. I also liked Amber and Danielle very much. Michelle was probably the next best one for me.

Comment by MC – May 7, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Dan- I hesitated to bring this up, cuz I know some don’t like too much Idol comparisons on here. But ahhhhhhhhh, skip it. I didn’t think the show was as good as yesterdays, but I feel it was better than all but 1 or 2 Idol shows this year. So maybe after tomorrow you’ll look back and see this episode wasn’t all bad.
      My take on it is the worst guy on this show is better than any of the top 10 guys who were on AI. And if Candice (my #1 Idol) were on the Voice, she’d be in the 5th to 8th range on here.
      The caveat w/ my Candice comment is if she was actually on the Voice, her talent might take her to near the top if she had better coaching, song choices, etc. I think her performances over here would be better if she was actually on this show. But her Idol performances, if they were left as is over here, wouldn’t be considered that great. I hope that makes sense.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good point. You do make a lot of sense. The Voice has surpassed Idol.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No your post doesn’t make sense. What are you talking about. If Candice was on the Voice, she’d have better song choices. Candice sang When I Was Your Man. Didn’t someone on The Voice sing this tonight? Her other great song choices-Lovesong, You’ve Changed, and Drake’s Find Your Love performances have been better than anything on the Voice this season so far. The song choices on The Voice are really not good so far, with the exception of a few.

Comment by Mack – May 7, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know how anyone can listen to You’ve Changed and Make Me Over (among others) and think those performances are somehow less than what is shown on The Voice. I think Sasha is great and a couple of others could be great, but Candice surpasses the other singers on The Voice imo.

Comment by MC – May 7, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Completely agree. Even though I do believe The Voice surpassed Idol, I still think that Candice is incredible and better than anyone on this show. At least, for now.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 8, 2013 05:50 AM PDT
    • I still don’t understand how the Swon Brothers beat Christian Porter and Grace Askew. Ridiculous.

Comment by kavyn – May 7, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although there are better performers on these teams than Kris, I really hope he stays. That kid has tons of potential. His clarity and range are both amazing.

Comment by Alienate – May 8, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You realize that Holly was kept over Luke, right? That’s just insane. How was I not listening to him sing last night?

I love country music, which is why the Swon Brothers were great; just good ol’ fashioned entertainment. However, Holly is boring and has middle of the range vocals. Luke was special.

Comment by Tim – May 8, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone on Team Adam & 1/4 of Team Usher were better than anyone tonight!

Comment by JOHN – May 7, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Even Cathia & Caroline were better than most of them..

Comment by Helen – May 7, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is fair to say that Adam has the best team he has ever had and definitely of this season.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Teeny- Yea, unlike a lot of the posters I enjoyed tonight. I’m not saying they were better than anyone on Adam’s team though. His team 1-4 are real close and all of them should go on. He’s got a powerhouse team. Tomorrow he’s got a decision to make that no matter what choice he makes, people are going to be upset w/ the guy.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let’s pray a Safe is introduced or they pull a Melanie Amaro for whoever is eliminated in Adam’s team.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree!! They should save his WHOLE team and do a double elimination next week!!

Comment by B. – May 7, 2013 08:53 PM PDT
      • It is very fair. Somebody in Adam’s team or Michelle “White Girl With Gigantic Glasses (WGWGG)” Chamuel must win.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Dan!! LOL!! I like that WGWGG. Or maybe she’s really wearing small binoculars.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • At least we won’t need to repair the Hubble again. I think she can see back to the earliest moments of the universe with those things hah.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:29 PM PDT
        • Dude, you are on tonight. “WGWGG” – that is too freaking hilarious. You know I love her. ;)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah Sasha was better than any of them. And Karina was better than Caroline and Sarah on Adam’s team.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Hit- Agree w/ ya on Sasha. Karina didn’t do it for me tonight though. She was one of my favorites coming in. This gets back to that overall or one night thing. I hope she stays over Kris, or even Garrett if it comes down to it, but I’m thinking she might be toast.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think team adam performed tonight.

Comment by MB – May 7, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me neither.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Team Shakira sang We are the Champions not team Adam

Comment by MB – May 7, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha for the WIN!!! And Michelle too :)

Comment by Loveshak – May 7, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All my favourites were eliminated aside from the two you listed :S

Comment by kavyn – May 7, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i have to say I love Shakira. She just comes off so honest, down to earth and unaffected by her fame. Mentoring her team, it didn’t even look like she was wearing makeup. Rarely do you ever see a female star in any public forum confident enough in themselves to not have to be made up to the nines.

Comment by MyTake – May 7, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @MyTake-I know this is off topic, but I’m glad you brought that up. I mean the make up thing. Every now and then an article will have these pics where actresses are shown with and without make up. The idea often seems to be to embarrass the woman about how she looks w/out make up. Yet when I see those pics, I think about half of them look better w/out makeup than with it. Shakira looks great both ways. Good observation MT.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um… I love her. She is refreshing in every way. I wish she didn’t sound so repetitive tonight though… But in my book, she can do know wrong.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops. I meant *no*. You’d think I could spell a 2-letter word. My bad.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Teeny- You’ve apparently mastered the 4 letter words though. Keep up the good work, Sailor.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL. Danny, you read me write :) :)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:16 PM PDT
    • Could not agree more. Shakira is amazing that’s all there is to it. I hate to compare her to Christina, but all Shakira needs is a microphone to show her stage presence. Last year when Christina performed I just wanted to slap her because she was so selfish by drawing attention to herself and not her artists by wearing over the top outfits and waving that stupid fan. Thank you NBC for bringing usher and Shakira on board! Do not let them go.

Comment by Beth – May 7, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah Shakira is awesome, thankfully everyone is finally getting to see it now

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My fellow latina has become my favorite coach.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yea, she’s got some spunk & fight to her. I like her a lot. A whole lot. Me being French, I know I’ll never get to see a French coach cuz the team would be instructed to wave the white flag and surrender.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:41 PM PDT
      • I agree. Christina is so self-involved. Every single performance she has ever done on The Voice, it seems she only cared about what SHE looked like, how she came across and how she sounded. made it all about her for sure. That’s why Shakira is so refreshing, she truly cares about her contestants and makes it about them always.

Comment by @JennyS714 – May 7, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding…especially someone regarded as the sexy Latina singer but there she was with no makeup and looked damn good too. How refreshing!

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I agree. She’s soooo down to earth and humble that sometimes it bugs me when she downplays herself. It’s like you’re freakin Shakira, GLOBAL superstar, then she goes and makes comments like if she was just any random human being which makes you love her even more!

Comment by @JennyS714 – May 7, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they keep Shakira and lose Xtina. Shakira is so loveable. CeeLo or Usher can be a toss up!

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Blake is full of crap. Danielle “one of the MOST important artists EVER on The Voice”??? Pffffffttt,!!!! She is nothing special, really, just a 16 year old with an average to slightly above average voice. I wonder where Blake was last night?? I mean, all 4 of Adam’s girls absolutely blow Danielle away, and Michelle and Sasha do, too. I just hate it when the judges start trying to blow sunshine up our butts, most of us have watched these singing shows for long enough that we recognize bullsh*t the moment it comes out of the bull.

Comment by ETG – May 7, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ETG- Yea, he might have gotten carried away w/ the bubbles up her butt, but I think she did a pretty good job.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, that was way over the top – even for Blake (who is known for a sufficient amount of BS). I am unimpressed in general by him this season. Might be time for him to go “on tour” and add some fresh blood in that seat.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who should replace Blake? Maybe Pink.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ooooooo… Gawd, that would be fun. And we’d get to hear her sing – even better….

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • would be sweet, I wonder is she isn’t too busy with tours and stuff though

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:32 PM PDT
          • I know. Right. She is really hot right now.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:47 PM PDT
        • @Dan- I’d lose the last bit of credibility I had if I suggested Blake be replaced by Nikki Minag. So I’m going to suggest Shania Twain. I think she’s said she’d like to judge one of these shows. Plus, she’s country and I think they’d want a country person to replace him. For what it’s worth, I like Blake and hope he sticks around. If he’s going to go on tour though, I’d love to see Shania be his replacement.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’ll have to be a country singer. Maybe Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley.

Comment by Lee – May 8, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m really upset with Blake this season too. He had a LOT of talent on his team and let them all go because they weren’t pure country singers.

Comment by kavyn – May 7, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. I just think he’s *off* this year. It’s weird. Because I have always thought his taste in music was great – in all genres, not just country. It’s odd.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Something is DEFINITELY wrong with Blake. He looks and acts preoccupied, or maybe just plain bored. I loved the judges’ interaction earlier this season but am now starting to detect some underlying tension between some of them…

Comment by ETG – May 8, 2013 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Okay. So you noticed it too… Thank you.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 8, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I blame whatever was in his Starbucks cup. lol.

Comment by Bessie – May 8, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • okay, glad i’m not the only one who noticed that. he does seem out of it. and the babbling about starbucks on Monday? and then his performance with shakira, holy sweat buckets!

Comment by courtney – May 8, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I liked Blake in the past, but I’m tiring of that foul mouth fool. Replace Blake with Shania or Brad Paisley

Comment by Spudd – May 8, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She does handle the crowd and stage awfully well for 16 and 4th performance before a crowd ever though. You gotta admit that. You’d be surprised how few can do that.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. She really handles the stage well, especially for someone so young and inexperienced. I thought she did really well tonight.

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Blake is full of holy CRAP! But Danielle has the Carrie Underwood star power. I’m not really a country fan, but her performance is EPIC! Prove? Already #12 on itunes. Need to say more? #POW

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think there was anything “epic” about Danielle’s performance, not by a LONG stretch. I think the only reason she spiked on itunes is because of Blake’s over-the-top comments. If there was an epic performance this weeek, it had to be Amber on Monday night…. now THAT was STELLAR!!!!

Comment by ETG – May 8, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is pretty clear after tonight it is a complete shame that someone from Adam’s team will go home tomorrow when contestants like the Swon Brothers (or Justin), Garrett, Kris (or Karina), Josiah, and Vedo will probably advance. Sasha was really good, until that last note, Danielle was pretty good. Everyone else: yawn. Hopefully Usher will do the shocking thing the promos promised a couple weeks ago that never came to fruition and instead of saving someone on his team, save whoever Adam casts off because I doubt either of Usher’s bottom two will be worth saving. Adam’s fourth place finisher would probably go further than anyone on Usher’s team anyway.

Comment by scootermcgavin – May 7, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach. It is sad that Adam will have to eliminate anyone in light the dreckitude tonight. So sad. But that’s the game.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha’s screams were way off (the awful first one rivaled Gokey’s “Scream On”) and her score should be more penalized despite a great vocal on the rest of it.

Garrett’s score is a little too low.

I’m afraid Justin or Danielle are gonna win, which is just too boring for me to care about.

Comment by Pat – May 7, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber is a more superior country artist (well, she has done a lot of genres, but country is her favorite one) than both of them, so she is more likely to win. Michelle or Amber for the win!

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops! Thanks for the reminder of the sublime, Ms. Amber. She is dope. As a country or any other kind of singer. The girl can just SING. Michelle and Amber are my Top 2 as well.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 1. Sasha 2. Amber 3. Michelle and there is your top three folks.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Hit- I’ve got 1) Sasha 2) Judith (anyone on Adam’s team could take the 2 spot though) and Michelle. So it’s a real tight top 6 the way I see it. Unfortunately one of them will be gone tomorrow.

Comment by Danny – May 7, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Why are you sure that one of Sasha, Judith or Michelle or Amber will be gone tomorrow?
            I’d be shocked if any of them were gone tomorrow.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 09:46 PM PDT
          • @Hit- I stated that wrong. I meant one of Adam’s team will be gone tomorrow.

Comment by Danny – May 8, 2013 01:46 PM PDT
        • 1. Amber 2. Michelle 3. Caroline (wishful thinking…)

Comment by Josh – May 7, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha did not impress me tonight. That was waaaaaaay over the top – and just a touch on the desperate side (in a bad way for her and a painful way for me). What has happened to subtlety? Michelle has proven last night that you can rip someone’s guts with well-placed notes and a quiet confidence. And that screaming is not singing – at least nothing I want to listen to.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the song is about desperation!
        it better have sounded like that

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL. Okay. :) I mean her, not her delivery. But sure I guess that’s fine too… I can see why you like her. I am just not about the holleration anymore – even when it’s proficient.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What about all the other songs she screamed instead of sung?

Comment by Holly – May 8, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well I guess we just have a different definition of screams and what is awesome vs. what is bothersome.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 8, 2013 05:29 PM PDT
      • Sasha is ALWAYS overwrought and operatic. That’s why I completely agreed with Adam’s decision to keep Amber over her. And nothing has changed my mind so far. Screeching isn’t singing.

Comment by Aisha – May 8, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • out of this round
      1) Amber 2) Michelle 3) Sarah 4) Sasha
      in general,,, well that’s much harder to say. All I know is all of Adams team should advance. So unfair

Comment by Sieves – May 8, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe, I was watching a different show because no one came close to Sasha’s perfect performance. SHE SHUT IT DOWN COMPLETELY!

Comment by Jane – May 7, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you may have been watching a different show.

Comment by Adeem – May 7, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • preach it Jane!! Hands down Sasha the best of the night by miles. And even better than Amber?!! and Michelle?!! Yes.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha looked amazing because she was floating in a sea of Mediocrity last night. Compared to Adam’s Angels and Michelle, she was just pretty good. Also Haley’s audition on Idol with Oh Darling was waaaaaaaaay better than what Sasha sang. But I do love Sasha though, I just think she needs to work on showboating less and emoting more.

Comment by Sieves – May 8, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the love for Sarah Simmons. Sasha Allen is 10x more exciting than Sarah.

Comment by Davey – May 7, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think people see her as the american Adele or something. I still think Judith, Sasha, Amber and Michelle are better than her.

Comment by Michele – May 7, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you seen her cover of Someone Like You? It’s amazing.

Comment by uraza – May 7, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Judith, Sasha, Amber, Michelle and most of the other singers are better than Sarah. I don’t get it. She’s no Adele. That warble, her tendency to go pitchy up high then just drop off below a whisper so you can’t even hear her in her lower register till the warble sets in again all make me cringe. I tend to gravitate toward unique voices but hers is just bad. I know I’m sounding harsh but I’m really confused and just floored at how much people like her. It’s baffling. It’s like I’m hearing something completely different.

Comment by AlyB – May 7, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @AlyB – yeah I’m with you on what Sarah did the night before. I was fine with her earlier in the season, but all that you wrote it all that I heard from her last night.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With this level of the singing from the Top 5 women – which I think includes Sarah – it will come down to a matter of preference. There is no doubt both Sarah and Sasha have mad talent – but for me, Sasha is not my cuppa tea.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • plus Sarah is way way overcooking it with runs and weird jumps and leaps put in for zero musical reason at all and she started getting bleating on some of her notes too now. I don’t know what happened to the Sarah of the auditions.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, I was beginning to think I was nuts. Sasha is so much better! I just don’t get the Sarah love at all.

Comment by Rain – May 8, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does everybody keep comparing Sarah to Adele!!! Just because she has an adele cover on youtube does not mean she is like adele. In my opinion she’s more like a Stevie Nicks. She has a rock edge people! She’s not pure alt indie pop

Comment by Sieves – May 8, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what’s with Blake having all his contestants sing country songs from before the year 2000?! At least Justin sounded better than he did last week. I actually kinda the Boondocks performance, the 5 of them sounded great as a group.

Comment by Maggie – May 7, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the bringing up Blake’s dated songs. It didn’t do him any favors. I did like Justin tonight. He seems to be improving.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He and Danielle are Blake’s only chance to get to the top 6.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Blake nailed it when he compared Justin to a “Rascal Flatts” type, his voice reminds me of Gary LeVoux’s. I’m stilling bummed we didn’t get to hear his full battle of “Easy” with the Morgan Twins, the clip sounded amazing. Get Danielle to sing something by Kacey Musgraves or even The Band Perry, I think those would be great challenges for her.

Comment by Maggie – May 7, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really appreciate Danielle’s talent. There is really no end to her potential right now. And that’s kinda fun right now…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Shakira and Blake’s duet. Sadly, it was one of the best performances of a very hohum evening.

Comment by Avery – May 7, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usher’s team is weak, besides Michelle. Her performance wasn’t incredible.

Comment by Jane – May 7, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By her you mean Michelle? Michelle had an amazing performance!

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cathia has a heck of a voice though. Hope she survives to show it.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Blake/Shakira duet. It was really beautiful, soulful, and they complimented each other really well. They have great on stage chemistry. They seriously looked like a legit couple singing together, ha!

Comment by Jane – May 7, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just to hear Shakira sing one of her own songs. No duet. I am waiting for that…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess I’m odd man out here. I didn’t care for their duet. I didn’t think their voices were complementary and it seemed it needed more rehearsal.

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya, I agree, but I give Shakira huge props because she’s the farthest thing from a country singer.

Comment by Bessie – May 8, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, that makes two of us; I didn’t care for the duet at all. It doesn’t help that the song has been played to absolute death on the radio and I totally HATE it now!!!

Comment by ETG – May 8, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that last night’s performances were better, but I thought there was plenty of talent up there tonight. Karina was incredible, as was Sasha. I liked the country girls of Danielle and Holly. Maybe the world isn’t ready for country on nbc.

Comment by AvCo – May 7, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? Country singers place high in all of the singing competitions – so let’s not overstate. And because they do, we know outstanding (Carrie Underwood) as compared to ordinary (everyone of Blake’s team). Saying network television is not ready for “country” cannot be substantiated by any of the singing show results (American Idol, X Factor and/or The Voice). This is simply not true.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On NBC. Even carson said it was alot of country for nbc. maybe just michael and teeny bikini are not ready for blakes country on nbc. I agree that no many can compare to carrie underwood but that doesnt mean we cant find the good in others. I think that the people will vote for danielle… shes already at #18 on the itunes chart… I think that her talent at 16 is “outstanding”. but it is very early in the competition. i wonder what everyone’s opinion will be a bit farther along.

Comment by AvCo – May 7, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I had to re-read my statement. I think you have misread it for some reason. I voted for Danielle 20 times. She was by far the best tonight for me, but she is ordinary compared to other talent – including country singers – on this very show. That is not to say she is not talented. She is. And will continuously get better, considering she is only 16. But *overall* he has an ordinary team this year. The fact that Adam has the two best country singers is ironic in many ways to me. Again, like I said before – Blake is not breaking any “country” ground on this show or for country literally being a major singing genre on this type of show across all networks in general. Thanks for lumping me in with Michael – color me happy. That’s high praise, though unintended. :)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG tonight was a million times better than last night: more fun, better songs, better personality, and stage presence. Everybody was having fun and singing well. Blake and Shakira were great fun with genuinely good coaching–their kids keep getting better and better. Just a great night.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – May 7, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha “social media scourge.” Christina Milian serves no purpose on this show. I hope they eliminate her roll next season.

I think Shakira has a soft spot for Garrett because based on his talent he should not have made it past the blind audition. While I appreciate his sad story and his passion for music, none of that changes the fact that he just isn’t a good singer.

Adam has definitely built the strongest team this year. I’m hoping Sarah or Amber wins.

Comment by Team Adam Fan – May 7, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Garret was so completely ordinary tonight. I have heard that song sung better in a park, on the subway and in every coffee house better. He is a great kid. He is now out of his league in a big way though…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Garrett is 17 years old. Give him a break.

Comment by davey – May 8, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Age is really not a legitimate rationale on shows like this. Danielle would be a good example of demonstrating a proficient performance in spite of her age *and* lack of previous experience before this show. He might stay though… you really never know who people will vote for, but going first with a “quiet” performance like that really doesn’t bode well for him.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 8, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mm mm mmmmmm damn I’ve been saying it since the beginning that Sasha is just incredible and the one since the start. Performance of the night. I have to say she is my favorite in the whole shebang.
    I know Michael hasn’t ever been quite on board, God only knows why, but man I’m thinking that has got to change now?
    Her and Karina for top two for Shakira’s team for me. I guess Danielle and Justin for the top two for Blake? Duo brothers weren’t bad. I don’t really know how to judge country so well.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Michael’s grade of a B+ for Sasha was spot on. I want to like her more but there is something missing (*not* technnically – whose gonna argue with her technical merit? Something else….) I think you nailed the top 2 on Blake’s team as it were.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well we will have to viciously disagree hah about that. She has that special something and more. Wow.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL. You are cracking me up. It’s not vicious for me. We have reached an impasse right now. It’s still early in the competition.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OK, well a vicious impasse then :)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 09:51 PM PDT
          • Sweet. Compromise rocks. ;)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 10:09 PM PDT
        • I agree! She is special!

Comment by Helene – May 8, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about Sasha..amazing talent. I think she was better than Judith last night. But I thought Karina was sharp on so many notes tonight. Agree with Danielle and Justin for Blake.

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Karina strikes me as someone who’s stubborn and doesn’t take coaching well. Shakira told her not to over-embellish and that’s exactly what she did.

Comment by Timmah – May 7, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No emotional connection with Sasha. Kind of over-the-top at times. Not at all current. The judges fawn over her in off-site interviews, but I don’t get it. She comes off as a lot older than she is (not that being old is bad . . . Shawna certainly proved that), but she lacks the personality and spirit that most of the others demonstrate.

Comment by Aisha – May 7, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night was better by far.

Comment by lori – May 7, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a snore. Even Sasha Allen seemed robotic. When I watch her I feel like it is a singing demo (ie, “look – I’m about to hit a high note”) as opposed to a gut-wrenching performance (which I think she was going for…). On night’s like this – where everyone is proficient but completely ordinary – I am glad I taped it and fastforwarded. The best performances by far – were last night. Go Michelle! As for the judges they sounded a bit dim and “expected” tonight. Usher: “Nice cowboys boots” – would be my example of a dim comment. And when Blake said Danielle was the most important artist *to ever* grace the stage – um… I started washing dishes. And that is about as bad as it gets for me.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – May 7, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was listening to Amber’s and Michelle’s performances from last night in ITunes when the Swon Brothers and a few others were singing.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – May 7, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they praised Holly tons and pitch perfection and the audience went wild but it seemed kind off pitch and all over to me. I kinda thought she’d do better.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She smiled all the way through this gut-wrenching song about begging someone not to leave her. Talk about not connecting with the lyrics! Her tone is pretty though.

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was fairly underwhelmed tonight until Danielle- this was my favorite song of hers to date. And I thought Sasha was terrific as well. Still enjoyed the talent more last night- but the last two singers redeemed this night for me. I thought that shakira’s group song worked better when they sang alone. There voices didn’t blend well to my ears.

Comment by Cagney – May 7, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But man that Sasha, Sasha Sasha!

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (are you Sasha’s grandmother?)

Comment by Truly – May 7, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Truly I am not. Nor hopefully her brother as that would truly just be tragic.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do they air more than one version of the the voice? Sasha Allen was outstanding. One of the best, if not the best female singer I have heard for many years.

Comment by Lauers Lauersen – May 7, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My question too! I think he is pulling a reverse Nigel, he picked out someone from the start to be scripted down (as opposed to up) and hell or high water he seems to be sticking to it no matter where and how far away the storyline takes it from there.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “no single act lived up to the level of Monday night’s breakout stars Amber Carrington, Michelle Chamuel and Sarah Simmons. Heck, I’m not sure anyone off Team Blake or Team Shakira did much better than Monday’s midpack players Caroline Glaser and Vedo.”
    What the what?!?!!
    Holy cow Vedo and Sarah and Caroline were better than Sasha was??!!? Do you know where the reality place is????? Holy smokes. What next Lazaro was ten times better than her????!?????
    And how could you have Sasha mixed right in with so many others tonight???????
    Man this is like the reverse Nigel, you scripted Sasha as some broadway joker and now will refuse to ever give it up. Maybe next week….
    I often agree but holy smokes is this another one of those times I don’t by a billion miles.
    Holy cow,

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dontcha mean “holy crap” :-)

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nah, it’s “Holy cow!” for us Yankees :)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Then again if it is good enough for Shakira it is good enough for me. Bring on the crap. Holy crap.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Beach was quoting the Blake.

Comment by Bessie – May 8, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is funny!

Comment by lucy27lucy – May 7, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael I just don’t get what you find so incredible about Sarah’s voice. I usually agree w/most of your assessments. I’m at a loss over Sarah. I really want her to go home. I’d rather hear anyone from tonight before listening to her again. That said, tonight was really underwhelming. From the song selections to the performances most of it was a big shrug. I was looking forward to Karina but the acapella part went off key. She pulled it together but her tone on that song was less than pleasing. i think Danielle has a kick-@#$ voice for a 16 y.o. but she is 16 and really looked out of her depth in that outfit singing that song like a deer caught in the headlights. Justin sounded great and had some energy. Too bad I really don’t like country music. Sasha sounded great but I’m sick to death of hearing Beatles songs on competition shows. I have same ole same ole song fatigue and it’s frustrating that they just keep doing them. No one else was even particularly memorable. They did ok. No real train wrecks but overall just a big shrug. I voted last night and then bought 3 songs. I’m not moved to do any of it tonight. Let the chips fall where they may.

Comment by AlyB – May 7, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Sarah doesn’t sound like anyone else. You feel Sarah’s music in your gut. There’s power there. Compare that to, say, Danielle or even Judith. You don’t feel anything. You mentally observe they are proficient singers and that’s it. That’s where the comparison to Adele or any great singer comes from. You FEEL their music. If you don’t feel anything watching and listening to Sarah sing, say, Wild Horses, then I don’t know what to say. .Maybe you just listen to very boring music. But wanting her gone from the show…what, are we going to spend weeks listening to the Swon Brothers and Josiah?

Comment by NedPepper – May 7, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know. Maybe during her audition, yeah sure and even the following weeks a decent bit, althogh slowly a bit less and less. But yesterday I didn’t feel it. Not at all. Well my ears did a few times. I mean she’d have some nice and pure and felt parts but then she’d do the bleating thing during tossed in nonsense runs for no reason or do some sudden weird melody of dynamics shift that didn’t even fit. That is a simple, power, beautfiul and did I say simple, melody based song and she had more runs and things cooking in it at times than a 90s R&B performance.
        I mean maybe I need to listen to it again and it will hit me differently. I will see.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. Perfectly put.

Comment by Sheilalala – May 7, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • (I meant @nedpepper-Sarah is astonishing..

Comment by Sheilalala – May 8, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Predictions:

Kris may be in trouble.

Comment by Jane – May 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My personal ranking tonight:
    1. Sasha, A-
    2. Danielle, A-
    3. Justin, B+
    4. Karina, B
    5. Garrett, B-
    6. Holly, C+
    7. Kris, C
    8. Swon Bros., D
    As a note, Danielle is already at #31 on iTunes this early, so she looks likely to surpass the mark of everyone from last night’s show – looks like the viewers disagree with you, Michael.

Comment by EM – May 7, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deserve to go home: Kris, The Swon Brothers, everyone except Michelle on Team Usher, and no one on Team Adam.
      Who I think will actually go home: Kris, Holly, Cathia and Caroline.

Comment by EM – May 7, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kris did a good job on his song, not perfect, but it’s obvious his potential is far higher than Garret. I think Garret should leave on team shakira first. Did you honestly like Him over Kris tonight?

If so you all must be like those idol girls/frau who liked PP over Jessica Sanchez, those cute white boys have too much pull with your kind.

Comment by Ty – May 7, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your generalizations amuse me. Yes, I did prefer Garrett to Kris. First of all, I’m a rock fan, so Garrett’s style is closer to mine. Kris is undeniably vocally skilled, but he layers his performances with far too much vibrato, which as a matter of personal taste really grates on my ear, and he lacks stage presence. Garrett’s vocals are rough around the edges, but he is 17 to Kris’s 27 and has plenty of time to learn polish.

I didn’t say Garrett should win. I ranked him 5th out of this subset of 8, and if I were to rank all of the top 16 he’d probably be about 10th. I just like him better than Kris.

And for the record, I preferred Jessica. And Haley Reinhart, and Crystal Bowersox, if you were wondering.

Comment by EM – May 8, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are spot on. Except for maybe Garrett. I give him a C- Garrett and Swon Bros has to go!
      Danielle is currently at #12 on iTunes (11 PM Pacific time).

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t help but watch Blake’s team tonight and think that it would have been a much more interesting and entertaining show had he only kept Luke or Christian, especially Luke. I’m personally not a huge fan of country, but I can appreciate it when it’s done well and with personality. His team are all decent singers, but none of them are really all that interesting. They didn’t really do anything to hold my attention.

Comment by P – May 7, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, if Blake had Luke, Christian, Danielle and Justin he would have a much stronger team.

Comment by The Beach – May 7, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am the only person, who thinks kris did a great job on a very difficult song. No one sings like Bruno Mars but he really hold his own. Can we start dropping songs that are more than 10 years old. Most of them are so played out on singing shows!!

Comment by Jay – May 7, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally! Thank you. I also thought Kris did a terrific job. I really felt the emotion in his delivery, and it moved me. I don’t understand why so few people feel this. That is why I buy records–when they move me. Sasha was so off key in her two screams that it was painful for me to listen to her. She needs to show some softness and vulnerability instead of just powering away–same with Karina. I am not a fan of Sarah, either. I don’t get all the hype there. I like Amber, Kris, Judith, and Michelle. I liked the Shakira/Adam duet. Shakira is the real deal.

Comment by Suzy Goard – May 7, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i unconsciously compare artists if i just heard someone else cover a song, but last week Candice sang “when i was your man” on idol and tore it up! Kris did a decent job, but i feel he could really benefit from vocal lessons to better control his voice. i think the voice should pay attention to idol and not do the same song that someone else did last week. i mean unless you’re gonna kill it, but the song was prolly chosen b4 candice sang it to.

Comment by daynamonet – May 8, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Kris, I thought he did a wonderful job. Disagree about dropping songs that are more than 10 yrs old, I prefer them to the crap that’s out there now!

Comment by Rain – May 8, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly think the best performance of the live round was the first person to sing individually and that’s Amber. Today I watched her first performance and I was amazed by the improvement.

Comment by Connor – May 7, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha is very pretty, and she seems to be quite nice, but she’s way overrated as a singer, in my opinion. Her song really didn’t connect with me in any way. It had no emotional impact, no interesting phrasing or embellishment. It seemed all she was concentrating on was how loudly she could belt the thing out.

Comment by Bob – May 7, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1) Blake’s comment about Danielle was a prediction. She’s only 16. She’s never been on stage before The Voice. She already has a better vocal instrument than half of the veterans singing on the radio. Imagine the potential!
    2) Adam and Usher could learn a thing or two from the performance by Blake and Shakira tonight.
    3) Sasha, IMHO, was the best of this entire round!
    4) ‘We are the Champions’ does not translate well into a group song.

Comment by David – May 7, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dearest Michael, i think you were extra tough with your grades tonight… Here, checking the file and Lazaro Arbos got a B- singing Feeling Good and you give Kris Thomas the same grade????? Something is off…

Comment by Larali – May 7, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! That is CRAZY! No he did not, did he? They aren’t even on the same planet, and Kris is better!

Comment by Laurie Kester-Havens (@LauriHavenMusic) – May 7, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the grades are relative to their potential. for kris’s b- is equal to an a+ on lazaro scale. trust me

Comment by Sieves – May 8, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t know are how far any of Blake’s team are gonna go
    but B.S. didn’t just bring country to the voice he brought OLD SCHOOL country to the voice & i loved every minute of it

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – May 7, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • also as fantastically cheesy & corny as it is. I would love to hear the Swon bros. do
      “Brotherly Love” by Keith Whitley & Earl Thomas Conley

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – May 7, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was just boring!

Comment by A – May 7, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think tonight was way better than last night. Maybe it’s because I love country music? But I also agree with other comments that Shakira and Blake’s team were a lot more fun and had a much better stage presence. Whereas yesterday’s performances were good but tonight’s were just a lot more enjoyable. And aside from Michelle I don’t really like anyone on Ushers team, but Adams team is really awesome. And although Sarah is a great singer there’s still something about her I don’t like that much and I don’t think her performance yesterday was the greatest.

Comment by Taryn – May 7, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha did nothing with Oh Darling. Her voice does not pierce. When she tries, it is borderline screaming. We seem polarized with Sasha. I am on the detracting side.

Comment by Alan Dvorkis – May 7, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually i totally agree with you but I’m sorry, Shasha deserves an A for sure. I really don’t get why everyone is so excited about Danielle. She is good but not a stand out to me.

Comment by A – May 7, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My opinion only. Lol. Please don’t yell at me! :)

My top 3 favorite were Danielle, Sasha and Garrett
    (Danielle IMO could give Adam’s team a run for their money toward the finals)

GARRETT: B+

HOLLY: B-

KRIS: B-

SWON BROTHERS: C- (their weakest performance. Good song but stale)

KARINA: C- (her weakest performance. Bad song choice & bad arrangement)

JUSTIN: B

TEAM BLAKE SONG: B+ (the best team song performance)

TEAM SHAKIRA SONG: C

DANIELLE: A-
    (not perfect but really, really good. Her and Sasha were the best of the night I thought, and Danielle has almost no exerience next to Sasha. Wow! That is very telling!)

SASHA: A-
    (she is just in another league. Still, not as good as last week, but one of the best of the night)

I’m a country music diehard but I didn’t love Blake’s song choices. Love the songs just not with those contestants tonight, except for maybe Danielle. He coulda found something just as country from this decade.

Comment by Laurie Kester-Havens (@LauriHavenMusic) – May 7, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you like country music, this was a good show. If you are indifferent or don’t like it….my God, was tonight’s show boring. Just give the meaningless contract to Danielle and be done with it. She’s young, blonde, pretty, and can sing karaoke country really well. And Blake is her coach. We have our winner…blech.

Comment by NedPepper – May 7, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s just say tonight was an okay show. I do believe yesterday’s was better. Team Blake’s Holly has a gorgeous voice, but the lack of confidence makes her boring to watch. I don’t care for the Swon Brothers, didn’t recognize the song i pretty much fast forwarded. Justin, same thing. Danielle has a great vocal instrument, and I’m amazed at how seasoned she sounds as if she’s been doing this a long time. The only problem is she has yet to connect to a song. Could be cause she’s so young. But she NEEDS to connect with a song so she can be great.

Team Shakira’s Garret did way better than a “C” in my opinion. He is growing as an artist week to week and that’s enjoying to watch. he’s a talented kid and he looks so humble too. Karina is a great vocalist but I think “Let’s Stay Together” was the wrong song choice for her. Kris Thomas’ butchered “When I Was Your Man”. I love that song and no one can do it like Bruno Mars. Period. I do have to say he sounded great during the group performance. Sasha has a powerful voice but a lot of the times it sounded like she was screaming for help, like if someone was chasing her with a knife or something.

I LOVED Blake and Shakira’s duet. I think they both gave it their all and have great stage presence. Kudos to Shakira for goin country, stepping out of her comfort zone and just owning the song.

Comment by Jenny – May 7, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with your comments on the Blake and Shakira duet, fantastic – and I think Shakira outdid Blake by a COUNTRY mile.

Comment by lucy27lucy – May 7, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I wasn’t blown away by anyone except Sasha, I wasn’t bored by the episode, and though there weren’t any truly bad performances.

Garrett: Personal bias since Imagine is one of my favorite of all times, and I thin he did it well. Something special about his tone, though he has yet to master his abilities.
    Holly Great voice but lackluster performance, her self-doubt and lack of presence holds her back.
    Kris: Tentative and could have slayed that song, but weakest of the night.
    Swon Bros: They are done, nothing special here but their hokey ditty was kinda fun.
    Karina: Powerful voice, but I did not care for this interpretation at all – it is a powerful love song that oozes sensuality which she turned into vocal gymnastics.
    Justin: Had more crowd swag than anyone tonight, and delivered well all around.
    Danielle: I see one of the best pure voices, but she really does suffer from her youth and lack of artistic interpretation and injecting her own style. Cmon folks, she is 16 and brand new to this – she has the chops and I think will keep growing with coaching and maturity – get her a year with a mentor, producer and a studio to work her and she will sell!
    Sasha: No question, best of the night (take out the screeches, which if recorded this absolutely would have been reworked, so I dismiss them). She has top 3 potential.

I love the commentary on Shakira that is floating, she is so real – checked her ego at the door and seems to really care about doing her job here. She is one of the bright spots on the show this season. And she does coach her team well. That being said, I have seen a lot of times where she does give BAD advice and talks her team into doing things that just don’t work out (I’m sure she didn’t want Sasha to raise the dead, but she did guide her to put in some crazy over the top parts to Oh Darling).

Comment by lucy27lucy – May 7, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Garrett was AWEFUL! Hope he goes home soon!! Only Shakira turned for him. I like your incorrect comment on Danielle. She’s the top of all the contestants on the itunes chart!

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you misinterpreted, my thoughts on Danielle – I do think she has the potential to win this thing, and has as stated one of the best pure voices. I just think she needs a little ‘seasoning’, which will make her even more appealing and marketable. I’m a fan!

Comment by lucy27lucy – May 7, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There goes Danielle, shooting up the iTunes chart. I hope this isn’t going to become a trend, or else we may have a predictable Cassadee-esque trek to the finale.

Comment by Alicia – May 7, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Crap I sure hope not. I like some country but it’s huge following might get this girl the win and honestly I think others are more deserving.

Comment by @JennyS714 – May 7, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone says Blake has the weakeast team… true! He put all the eggs (country) in one basket. I think Danielle and Sasha are tops tonight! While American Idol terminated all the white guys with guitars. The Voice is overdosing on the white guys with guitars and banjos! Can Blake’s team be more one dimensional tonight. Everything is country! Yeehaw! I bet all the WGWG voters love this!!

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danielle goes to number 12 in the itunes chart. Don’t forget country fans are strong and devoted. I think Danielle has the Carrie Underwood star power. And at 16 years old. Danielle has the Miley Cyrus fan base too! Tweens! YeeHaw!

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YUP-because he gave her a good song that ISN’T OVERPLAYED. Did the same for Justin

Comment by Sheilalala – May 7, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m not a country music fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love that song. I remember Maybe It Was Memphis from when it was a hit for Pam Tillis and it brought back some good memories.

Comment by Bessie – May 8, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmm maybe Blake was crafty yet again. People said buy bringing along so many country he’d dilute the vote, but instead he may bring troves of country lovers to start watching the show now and they make take control of a lot of the voting perhaps? Still I don’t think too much can be read into things, it’s way early.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 7, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha Allen may well have given the best performance of both nights. Going into this competition, my favorites were, in order: Sarah Simmons, Sasha Allen, Michelle Chamuel, Judith Hill and Kris Thomas. Those 5 are my favorites still, but the performances this week require a different ordering: Sasha Allen gave the best performance of them all, followed by Judith Hill, Sarah Simmons, Kris Thomas and Michelle Chaumel. Sarah Simmons, though, has such a unique, flexible and powerful instrument that, if she can master her nerves, should take her to the finale.

Comment by Lois Benton – May 7, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s looking like it’s going to be an all-female final four. Hopefully, because as of now the women are way better than the men.

Comment by matt – May 7, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Well this was as much of a snooze fest as I thought it would be-damn, poor Holly, I feel her on the bully thing, kills the ole confidence, she has a gorgeous voice but zero *star* power/stage presence. I don’t see that changing, and it is such a shame, because I would love to be commenting on Luke’s riveting performance of ‘Purple People Eaters’ or whatever god awful song Blake would have thrown his way.

As for Kris, For a guy who already had a record deal that dude was SKERRED as sh*t singing that song, it was uncomfortable to watch. He’s 10x as talented as Vedo but probably won’t last through tomorrow. Danielle was…fine, Karina…..fine. I actually enjoyed the Snore Bros, forgot that rare country song I like!

Sasha was the best performance tonight, it will be so interesting to see if she goes further than Judith-I’m worried for Judith/Sarah you guys! The audience is going to save Caroline-I just KNOW it. Adam won’t ditch Amber, it makes me think back to Adam’s comment last night “You know Sarah, someone’s got to win these things, lose, blah blah” I really hope she doesn’t get *Jessie Campbelled” (voice frontrunner S2) tomorrow. I will be one of the whiners who vows to never watch again.

I saw someone call her one of the most unique talents of our generation-and she is. Its just too bad that she has a few weeks in a talent show with sh*tty songs to bang out the dents in her persona-She will be a Jennifer Hudson, mark my words. All she needs is a good solid powerhouse song put out in the last 10 years and she will be back on top in this competition..

Comment by Sheilalala – May 7, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow your comments really scared me. If Caroline survives tomorrow night i will be PISSED.

Comment by matt – May 7, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Scares me TOO. Caroline is charting at #38 on itunes right now, Sarah at #32, and Judith is nowhere to be found…. ;(((((

Comment by Sheilalala – May 7, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Also, Danielle is #12 on the iTunes chart now. I’m surprised that Judith is nowhere to be found on iTunes.

Comment by BillyRay – May 7, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Its because she got ‘Feelin’ Good’ a badly played out song. Anyone who charts does it with rarer music, or because they do a crazy unique version like Michelle with True Colors. We need to start a “BAN OLD TUNES” facebook page or sumpin..

Comment by Sheilalala – May 7, 2013 11:50 PM PDT
          • Yeah, Judith’s version was terrible and over-embellished. Danielle is smart enough (or maybe naive enough) not to add all those annoying affectations.

Comment by Timmah – May 8, 2013 12:09 AM PDT
          • I think Feelin Good was an even worse song choice than Whitney Houston for Cathia. I still don’t think Cathia did a very bad job with it, it is so obvious Usher wants her to be eliminated, he didn’t even try to defend her after Shakira’s predictably harsh comments about Whitney being a “bad song choice blah blah blah”

Comment by matt – May 8, 2013 01:10 AM PDT
          • Honestly she did a lot better with it than some others did with their songs and who didn’t get quite the lukewarm feedback. I was surprised by the whole thing.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – May 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT
          • Remember what’s her face from last season, she did carbon copies of avril lavigne songs and ended up winning, it seems like a good combination is you have the voice to take on the song. People with unique takes on songs (Amanda Brown) never seem to do well in these competitions, it’s america’s overall taste for the bland (Lee Dewyze). So, I think Danielle is going to do great! But I hope Amber does better!

Comment by tommy – May 8, 2013 11:21 AM PDT
    • ” I would love to be commenting on Luke’s riveting performance of ‘Purple People Eaters’ or whatever god awful song Blake would have thrown his way.”

THIS. I’m honestly still so upset that Blake didn’t keep him around. He already had a huge following and had great stage presence. One day I will get to a place where I am not upset by this. Today is not that day.

Comment by P – May 7, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure why Slezak is so grumpy tonight, I actually enjoyed tonight.’s show more than last night’s (when I thought the only standout performances were from Amber and Michelle). Tonight I thought that Sasha, Danielle, Kris and Garrett stood out. Props to Shakira for some good song choices.

Comment by Chris – May 7, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post