Grey's Anatomy Sneak Peeks: Arizona Fields a Proposal, Bailey Braces for the Storm

There’s a storm brewing as ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy heads into the final two episodes of Season 9 — yet Arizona is feeling a bit of a heat wave, coming from her new gal pal Lauren.

RELATED | Grey’s Finale Preview: Shonda Rhimes on the ‘Calzona’ Scene that Left the Cast ‘Stunned’

In this first clip from Thursday’s episode, it is revealed that, just as Lauren (played by One Tree Hill‘s Hilarie Burton) did her research on Grey+Sloan Memorial’s pretty peds specialist, Arizona has Googled her perky new colleague — and learned they share something in common. It all leads to a bit more femme-on-femme flustering… and then an impromptu invitation. How will ‘Zona respond?

Loading video...

Elsewhere in the episode: As denoted above, a superstorm is barreling toward Seattle, and Bailey has a plan to put in place in case the hospital is forced offline — provided Shane can get over his woe-is-me issues and help her out.

Loading video...

Want more scoop on Grey’s Anatomy, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Taylor Anne says:

oh snap.

2. nitemar says:

Yay! Can feel the heat brewing like hotttt coffee! ;]

3. hertss says:

I love Calzona! Arizona better not cheat…but frig Lauren Boswell is one sexy lady.

4. Jessica says:

I love Callie and Arizona, but I have to say that Arizona and Lauren have amazing chemistry! I still don’t want Arizona to cheat though. It’s been done way too many times on this show.

5. kavyn says:

I’m hoping Lauren flirts her way into a threesome (flattering both Arizona and Callie) and brings some drama to this relationship. The aftermath of a threesome when two participants are a couple = drama.

6. mcyum says:

lol, they have a hard enough time showing us two women getting it on, let alone 3. No threesome will be happening, sorry. Arizona won’t cheat, she loves Callie too much, and Sofia.

7. Babygate says:

Wow. Love Calzona but I wouldn’t mind it if they broke up for good. It would be nice for Callie to find someone who looks at her the way that Arizona has been looking at Lauren. I agree that the new doctor and Arizona have more chemistry than Callie and Arizona. This is kind of sad considering that we have been rooting for this couple and waiting for them to finally find their stride for the last five seasons. But it seems evident that while Arizona loves Callie, she is attracted to Lauren and looks at her in a way that she has never looked at Callie. So, why force it? I just want for Callie to be happy and find someone that can treat her with some respect unlike George, Erica and even Arizona who spent the entire season being angry at her and dismissing her and treating her like crap while Callie is patient and steadfast and loving. All for what? For Arizona to seek validation from a stranger? I wonder if any of these writers are in healthy, grown up relationships because you wouldn’t think that by the way they write these characters. I mean, who thinks that PTSD justifies cheating?

• rowan77 says:

So you basically know nothing about writing – or PTSD. If writers only wrote strong stable relationships then this show would be boring and have been cancelled a long time ago. This is a DRAMA so there needs to be conflict. As much as I would hate for my fav Grey’s couple break-up, it is realistic that someone with PTSD would need to get validation from someone other than their spouse. They can feel emotionally out of control and afraid and want to know they’re still desirous. It’s can be what they feel is a much needed escape from their reality. While I find it odd how Shondra referred to how the characters “earned” this storyline (who earns infidelity?), I respect that it is grounded in reality.

• Ninna says:

It may be you who don’t know nothing about life. Writers could write strong stable relationships, if they had the talent for it. But that’s very difficult. It’s much easier to destroy couple after couple by cheating and insisting with the weak minds that they still are MFEO. There’s so many ways to create drama without throwing constantly the same drama: infidelity and PTSD. It only shows lack of craftsmanship, lack of imagination and lack of interest in the show and fans.

And no, PTSD is not justification to cheat on the partner. PTSD+shortage of character, is.

• brycealexander says:

“It may be you who don’t know nothing about life.” Case closed ladies and gentlemen, move along.

• rowan77 says:

I think perhaps my grasp of life is better than your grasp of the English language. Writing a happy couple is easy. It’s fun for a while, but lack of conflict is a snore in storytelling. Also no one is saying PTSD is justifiable cause to cheat – but people with PTSD have been known to cheat as a symptom. Facts are facts. Plus if you don’t like the show, don’t watch. You are a viewer, not the writer or producer (clearly) and don’t control the storylines.

• Ninna says:

If all of us would cheat on our spouses to seek validation in our period of crisis throughout life there wouldn’t be married people. It must have to be other ways of dealing with our frustrations. One of the ways is seeking help in our partner, not in outsiders.
        Care and consideration has always to exist in a partnership. And infidelity can’t be accepted as a way to deal with it, however much it feels so good!

• Babygate says:

So you are basically one of Shonda’s faithful acolytes… Your rather sardonic analysis is extremely short-sighted. My argument is not for a relationship absent of drama and conflict. My argument is for the way this storyline has been developed. Good writing should adhere to a certain continuity and order that will protect the integrity of the story. That has not been the case here. It took 18 episodes for them to reconnect and only 1 for Arizona to be completely smitten by someone she just met. I understand PTSD more than I would ever want to. And I even understand needing that validation from someone other than your significant other. But it’s one thing to want to feel like you are still attractive to others and it is quite another to engage in conversations that betray your commitment to your marriage. Although there are elements of realism in this story, I take issue with the way that Shonda presents this as an ‘earned’ moment. Betrayal is never ‘earned’. IRL, infidelity wrecks a relationship and she’s gambling with the credibility of C/A as a couple. Arizona could have had an ‘I still got it moment’ and move on. But this that Shonda is creating for the sake of drama goes beyond what is necessary. To add insult to injury, going back to S5 Arizona has never looked at Callie with the interest and attraction that she looked at Lauren in one episode.

• rowan77 says:

You know nothing. I am not an acolyte of anyone. I am and always will be a discerning viewer and have disliked various storylines and characters on this show and others. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but yours is uninformed. You seem to have the wrong idea about what continuity actually is. I see it with Supernatural fans as well when they cry about Sam choosing to honor his promise to Dean instead of trying to find him. Under the circumstances he did what many would do – he was totally alone and fell apart for a while, which eventually lead to him finding happiness with Amelia for a short period of time. Out of character? Nope. What the fans wanted to see? Nope. So they cry about continuity. “Continuity” does not mean “sameness.”

Arizona is still dealing with losing her leg and not feeling desirable. It doesn’t matter if Callie has been supportive, her fear is irrational and her PTSD is not being treated, so her behavior, while frustrating, is true to what some people in her situation would do. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t love Callie – the problem is how she feels about herself. If you think an “I still got it” moment will suffice, you need to learn a great deal about characters and their arcs.

And you are wrong about Arizona not ever looking at Callie that way. You have a short memory. Watch Arizona’s first season at Seattle Grace. She went after Callie shamelessly. She’s looked at Callie like that as recently as last season – BEFORE the loss of her leg.

• Babygate says:

Yet another hostile and juvenile response. You need to relax. You don’t need to like or agree with my comment. You could have just ignored it and move on. What is it to you if I disagree with you? Talking about Supernatural does nothing for me because I have never watched that show. I’m completely unfamiliar with it. And I did not err in my use of the word ‘continuity’. That is exactly what I meant. And I see you agree. ‘Some people’ react the way Arizona has. Not ‘everyone’, ergo, another choice could have been made. And about having a short memory…I own every season on DVD and I watch on Netflix as well as re-runs on Lifetime. My recollection of Callie;s and Arizona’s exchanges, romantically or otherwise is just fine. But you know, to each his own. It’s all about perspective.

• rowan77 says:

There was nothin juvenile about my post. You’re whining because I don’t agree with you and you can’t admit when you aren’t right about something. Just because a character chooses to do something you don’t like doesn’t mean the writer is wrong. You are very much the pot calling the kettle black in your responses to me. Look at yourself.

• Tania says:

@rowan77 – I think the ‘earned it’ comment refers to having their issues addressed. They deserve to have some indepth writing where they deal with all the underlying baggage they have, rather than this two dimensional, faux ‘shiny, happy’ stuff they’ve been doing. They’ve earned the right to have the PTSD addressed, put on the table and dealt with.

• rowan77 says:

Well put. I didn’t think of it that way. Then yes, because the faux shiny happy stuff is less interesting to watch, no matter what the Calzona shippers say.

8. Thercell says:

i LOVE their chemistry. Is there a way to do without zona cheating ? LOL

9. KayZee says:

I think Arizona and Lauren have better chemistry than Calzona. I hope they hook up and Callie and Sofia get lost in the parking lot.

• jen says:

LOL – “get lost in the parking lot”!!! i know a lot of people on these boards ‘ship calzona, but i like them better apart. callie’s too perky and arizona’s just… well, you said it – she has better chemistry with lauren! do we know for how many episodes hilarie burton is guesting? that might help us guess where this storyline is going, no?

• Babygate says:

I was thinking along the same lines. Except in my version it is Arizona who gets lost and never comes back. You know, since she’s the one that would actually be doing her wife wrong.

• Belle says:

What’s “doing your my wife wrong” have to do with anything? I don’t like Callie so I hope she disappears from Greys and Arizona and Lauren stay.

• Babygate says:

Well, let me be as candid as you are, I don’t like Arizona and I would be very happy if she ran off with Lauren.

10. tahina says:

I won’t be surprised if Lauren hits on Callie too..”the more the merrier”..

• CARA says:

i don’t think so…that’s a bad storyline as it can get. but i like the chemistry between lauren & arizona – i hope they exploit this new development.

11. B says:

So impressed with Hilarie Burton. She gets these roles and you can tell it’s Hillarie Burton but she becomes the character based on how friendly, beautiful and mysterious she wants to be. I just a feeling that pretty soon I’m going to be adding Dr Lauren Boswell to Peyton Sawyer and Sarah Ellis when I’m referring to Burton. She’s so good at encompassing these roles that it’s so easy to confuse the names.

12. Karen says:

I don’t want Arizona to cheat, but damn Arizona and Lauren has some amazing chemistry. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen Arizona so carefree and happy.

13. Alichat says:

I can tell Bailey’s issue with Richard is going to aggravate me. I’m already annoyed, and I’ve only seen that one clip.

• Gotta Have 'Em All says:

Word.

• Addie says:

I hate to say it, but Bailey has been really infuriating lately so yeah i can tell this will be incredibly annoying. Like, it’s all the same with her- she gets all huffy and silent and then goes into a long monologue with crying and everyone kisses her feet. I miss the old Bailey who didn’t care what anyone thought of her and would have realized that the whole CDC thing was necessary not an insult.

• Babygate says:

The source of Bailey’s insecurity and the reason she’s isolating herself is not because the CDC was called in. It’s because of the fact that three people died because of her. She’s having a hard time reconciling the facts. She’s a healer. She’s professional and pristine in her work and still people died. Is the guilt that is eating her alive.

14. Jared says:

Well it appears as though Peyton Sawyer stole Lucas from Brooke in One Tree Hill, and now she’s coming after Arizona Robbins. I can’t wait til Thursday.

15. Tia says:

Callie and Arizona are boring. They never even broke up for more than 2 episodes, while other couples spend a whole season apart, so yeah about time they miss with them with another person.

16. Chris says:

“Error loading media: File could not be played”

I’m getting this pretty much ALL THE TIME when I come here now… I’m gonna give up and just stop coming at all at this point because it’s pretty pointless.

17. tahina says:

I keep coming back to the Calzona breathtaking scene and someone on another forum mentioned Lauren is a basket case and puts Arizona in harms way. =/

18. Lisa says:

People are upset with the cheating because of the obvious…they became vested in the characters (Callie & Arizona) as a couple. However, as I mentioned in other comments — if the writers give us the storylines we want for our favorites, it gets boring! Where’s the challenge for us as fans or viewers? And where is the challenge for the actors portraying the characters?

Amazing storylines never start where you expect them to start and yet they circle around to where the ride was worth taking. Simply enjoy this bumpy ride and where Shonda and the writers decide to take it.