Idology: Is Angie Unbeatable? Candice and Kree Dissed Again? Plus: Debating Harry Connick Jr!

Season 12 of American Idol is down to three closely matched ladies — but is the race already over?

On this week’s Idology, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I look at the number of Twitter followers for Angie Miller in relation to her two remaining rivals, Kree Harrison and Candice Glover, and wonder if she’s unstoppable. Even if the answer is “yes,” though, we outline reasons why it’s vital for Angie to return to her highest performance level after fumbling the ball a bit during Top 4 Redux Week.

RELATED | American Idol: 11 Terrible Ideas to Avoid in a Potential Season 13 Reboot

Melinda and I also take a look at some questionable comments directed at Candice and Kree, and outline strategies for the duo to make this the closest Top 3 race possible. And yes, there’s a bit of disagreement over the mentoring style of Harry “Randy, Stop!” Connick, Jr. Finally, Melinda offers insights from her own Season 6 experiences that shed light on the pressures that the Season 12 women are currently enduring.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

So press play below for the full Idology episode, then hit the comments with your own opinions. And for all my Idol news, interviews, recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. marie says:

Two nitpicks about some of the comments:
    I’m not a fan of Angie’s, but those who are should at least call her by the name she has chosen to go by, i.e., Angie, and not Angela, which evidently she has decided to leave behind. Believe me, it does matter: as someone who has often been called “Maria,” and who has corrected people only to sometimes have them reply, “What’s the difference?”, I’m in a position to know that it absolutely does make a difference! It’s a matter of respect: a person has the right to be addressed and referred to by the name he or she prefers.
    Also, who give a frick whether or not she looks like Miley Cyrus? While most posters on this site seem to have thinking brains in their heads, those who are put off Angie by this perceived resemblance seem not to.

• Jasmine says:

Her name still is and will always be Angela, even though a lot of people call her Angie. I really don’t think she’ll make that much of a fuss over what she’s called though, despite the fact that YOU might. I really don’t see the problem with saying Angie and Angela interchangeably. Even Nicki still calls her Angela sometimes.

2. Name That Tune says:

The songs they are singing have been leaked. Candice & Angie each get an Emile Sand number. Kree gets Rascal Flats, The Band Perry and Pink. Candice gets U2 snd Somewhere from West side Story, Angie gets Pink snd Elton John. They’re definitely setting Angie up to sing at the piano at least twice.
    I think it’s setting up for a Candice-Angie finale.

• Name That Tune says:

The acoustic version of Next To Me is an awesome choice for Candice. She’s got 2 moments already just based on song choice.

• Name That Tune says:

TPTB are pushing for a Candice win. All 3 of her songs are meant to show her strengths as a singer – we’ll see an acoustic Next To Me, A classic with Somewhere (this came from Mariah no doubt), snd a Mary J Blige version of One.
      They want Angie at the pisno at least twice. She’s going to have to do some rearrangements to fit her voice.
      They gave Kree just one song that suits her voice and style. She’s not a power singer, so The Band Perry will test her. Don’t know what to think of Perfect as a song choice for her.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I don’t know, that Elton song is ollllllllllld and tired and does it really pull votes? Kree’s Pink choice could be rough (if she pulls it off somehow she may be set beyond set though) but she has two country songs which is sure to get votes streaming in like nobodies business and the band perry choice even had a lot of cross-over appeal and play (even in NYC where they never play country much at all). I don’t know what the Rascall Flatts song is but I’m sure it’s gotta be crazy popular in country music land and I’m sure it fits her well. Don’t forget nobody outside of country land but Lee has ever won Idol. Candice has songs that you can really get huge emotional moments with.

• Name That Tune says:

I thought the Elton John song was old, too, but it plays to Angie’s strengths especially if she stays at the piano. I think the Pink song & Emeli will be more difficult. Angie’s lower register is weak and Maybe starts there. But Maybe will play well at the piano.

3. marie says:

(I’ve just figured it out. Evidently we have Angie Miller’s publicist posting here this week.)

• bingham says:

LOL!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

And apparently Candice’s too then (and maybe even Kree’s).
      come on already

• marie says:

I’m sorry if I’m getting on your nerves, HTGR. It’s just that the poster in question is getting on my own nerves today. Like, 1-800-TOO-MUCH. I think I’ll go do something else now – like go watch the Mets game, which at least will be a different kind of aggravation…!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

oh dear…. Mets :) I see your troubles and toils will never end! :(
          (at least you will always have ’86!)
          and you can always relax a little, as can basically anyone, by looking to see when the Cubs last won it all, I must say those goats cast one heck of a curse!

4. marie says:

Getting back to the initial question here, yes, I think Angie at this point is pretty much unbeatable. I don’t mind, though. Both Kree and Candice have had plenty of exposure by now and I’m sure both of them will be able to release albums in due time without much impediment, and both have a strong chance at having successful careers (perhaps Kree a little more; the country market seems to be a little easier to break into, or maybe it’s that country music fans are more welcoming; I don’t know). Anyway, this year at least there will be one contestant in the finale that I enjoy; if what seems unlikely occurs and the two better singers (IMO), Candice and Kree, both make it to the finale, then I personally will be looking forward to a very enjoyable final two showdown.

• deedee says:

You never know who will or won’t get good opportunities after Idol. Last year I was convinced Joshua would get at least an EP deal, but … nada. He kind of disappeared, only to pop up here and there for a live performance or a National Anthem. Jessica Sanchez’s album is not getting any (or much) promo, and only Phillip is being pushed into the national consciousness by some excellent marketing strategies. Given that the show has dropped in ratings, and albums don’t sell anymore, it seems that mere exposure on the show is not what it used to be. Although, the exposure might be enough to keep them working in the industry in some capacity … which is also something.

• marie says:

…yeah. Yeah. I know. Wishful thinking, I guess; maybe it’s just because I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to buy that Candice Glover vocal-jazz album (and maybe even that Kree Harrison bluesy-country album)…but your make some valid points. Phooey. <:-O

5. darcy's evil twin says:

Loved Idology. LOVED Melinda’s shirt! :-)
    Candice Glover is one of the very best vocalists to grace the stage of Idol. I expect Angie to win, and she’s fine – she has a lot of talent and I’m sure she’ll do well. But I love Candice and Kree as well.
    I saw an interview with Joshua Ledet somewhere – he appeared at the White House and he is working on an album.

• deedee says:

I saw Joshua’s White House youtubes, but didn’t know he was working on an album! This is great news! Did he sign with a label or is he self-financing track-by-track? Did he give any details?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t know. He didn’t give any details but said he’d been in the studio.

• MB says:

A few of them Skylar, Holly, Elise, Joshua, Erica, have talked about working on their albums and then selling it. I don’t think they actually got signed by any label yet.

6. Bessie says:

I think the number of twitter followers someone has is irrelevant. Case in point… Jessica Sanchez released her debut album last week… she has over a million twitter followers… she if projected to sell 15,000 albums.

• Bessie says:

Oh the final sales were just announced… Jessica sold just under 14,000 records… Nothing against her, I think she’s incredibly talented, my point is just that number of twitter followers doesn’t mean sh-t!

• MB says:

I saw somewhere but I could be wrong because I read it quickly. I think she sold less than 10,000. Now that is a pity with all her fans screaming how she should have won but they do not have the decency to support her album. Her video is getting a lot of play though so I think they are ripping off the music from it instead of buying it. SMH

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I’m surprised. Have they been giving it any push or big radio buys? I figured she’d get quite some sales.
        It seems like it went from you could get solid sales for a first album, for sure if it was dven half way decent, if you attracted enough attention to get signed out of the top 7 or so. And then recently it has been you better be top two since Idol audience will NOT launch anyone anymore and the Interscope/19 people will not give you the sort of push you need to be given these days and now it seems that even with top two you better also hope you can get the album out FAST (note that even idol song compilations and Christmas singles do better than real albums dropped a year later) and pray you can do it that fast and make it good. So other than being the winner nothing much in sales is a given off of Idol now.
        Haley had a great album with superb reviews for an Idol album but without top two support and quick release…. and that said her albums have actually done the second BEST of anyone since S8 who did not make the finale AND get a quick release (she seems on pace to maybe even outdo a 2nd place finisher from last season, Jessica). It’s getting rough out there. You better make quality quickly and pray they really, realllly believe in you and know how to handle you or you better win (or damn well at least hit the finale). That said you might be still able to continue making music and a surprising number of Idol alums are worth over a million. Some site even said some of the recent non-finalists are worth 1.5 million or more already (granted those how much are celeb’s worth sites often overstate things and count stuff that doesn’t make sense to count).

• reality check says:

Second BEST? I think you mean second to dead last. According to SoundScan every idol who has released an album from the past 3 seasons has sold considerably more than Haley Reinhart with the exception of Casey Abrams. That includes Casey James (season 9 third place), James Durbin (season 10 fourth place) and Colton Dixon (season 11 seventh place). And they’re all still with their record labels whereas Haley has been dumped. I’m not including Jessica Sanchez because her album hasn’t been out long enough to count yet. But hey, you can believe whatever you want. It seems that these days just getting the chance to release an album at all is a blessing.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Some of them also had singles albums too and I’m counting total album sales from those not making the finale post S8:
            1. James Urbin 180,000
            2. Haley Reinhart 103,000
            3. Colton Dixon 95,000
            4. Casey James 77,000
            5. Casey Abrams 27,000
            6. Tim Halperin 2,000
            Others who you thought might get some sales are still at 0. And even finalist Jessica appears to be slotting in towards spot #5 perhaps and even Pia hasn’t managed much of placement yet at all. Joshua, Holly, Elise, Pia are still having trouble even getting something out. It is just not like the early seasons where you’d get that huge boost, even if it might only last for an initial album or two.
            If you don’t count singles albums then it goes:
            1. James Urbin
            2. Colton
            3. James
            4. Haley
            5. Casey
            6. Tim
            None of them have done anything in sales compared to non-finalists from the first few seasons. And many haven’t even managed to even get albums out at all yet. Even finalist Jessica seems to be heading for maybe spot 5 on that list.
            Elise, Pia, Joshua and so on don’t even make the list at all yet.
            I’m telling you Idol doesn’t even instantly launch good sales for first albums for basically anyone these days who doesn’t both make the finale and release quickly (and it may even require that you be country if you don’t actually win).
            The fact that Haley’s instant single album got better sales than her main album and that her early release Christmas single I think did better than her album singles also shows that instant release does help theses days since they sure don’t seem to invest in the sort of push they need to these days (although releasing fairly far from the most radio friendly single from her main album makes it a bit harder to compare). It also shows that releasing a single that Idol controlled the most so they get all the money even if it is nearly as radio friendly might not be the way to go for the contestants even if it helps Idol get their money and dump and run.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

“3. James” should have been “3. Casey James”

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

James Urbin and Colton with the heavy metal and Christian music genres were able to release to genres that had never been served by Idol yet. I guess that is why they appear likely to do better than even finalist Jessica.

• reality check says:

LOL, um, when you’re comparing sales, you compare album sales, not singles. If James sold 2 albums and Haley sold 7 singles, he made more money than she did. But whatever makes you feel good. Gotta love these delusional Haley fans with unhealthy obsessions. You take care now! LOL!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

@realitycheck – I meant ALBUMS as per officially labelled as such on Billboard and everywhere else. Just that some albums were random bunches of cover singles and not ‘normal’ albums.

• reality check says:

Can’t you see that’s ridiculous?! If you’re going to compare debut album sales then compare debut album sales. You can’t add in a bunch of other random sh-t just to try and make your idol look better. Gah, nevermind, I don’t even care, done talking to cray.

• HTGR says:

Holy crap. I listed it both ways and made it very clear. The music site I found the info on listed it by total album sales and then also had break downs by individual albums. Counting debut albums alone gave the one list and counting season singles album plus debut albums gave another. The main point is that none of them have had much in the way of sales unless they made the finale (and even now with Jessica even that doesn’t seem to help enough unless you win or at least release more quickly) or were S8 or earlier.

• HTGR says:

Counting main debut albums not manay have manged it out of top 13 of those three years 3 out of the 33 not making the finale did better. Nobody really did well at all though. But however crappy her sales were only three managed to do any better on that and only one if you count their Idol singles albums but even in that yeah the sales are still low for all of them.
            whatever

7. James says:

By the way Slezak…where the heck is the Janell Wheeler interview? I think you’ve had more then enough time to set it up.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I wonder if she didn’t like the site at the end of the day or something? It would be cool to see it.

• deedee says:

Wasn’t Janelle Wheeler a semi finalist in season 9? You probably mean Janelle Arthur. And yeah … where’s that interview?!

• James says:

Ah my bad…Good catch! And yes…where is it? At least tell us why there is no interview like what you did for Casey James Slezak…

8. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Random sidebar:
    Isn’t it odd that in the land of the female pop star that Idol hasn’t produced one since season 6 and only one other one ever (Kelly of course)? And other than sort of Cassiddee on The Voice nada. I mean even the XFactor which is all set up for that hasn’t done it either.
    And it’s not like one can’t come from a reality tv show, as we see from Carly Rae, Jessie J and Leona Lewis. They just can’t come from an American one :).

• teatime says:

For many years now American female pop stars have been focused on selly sex appeal. It is just one of several issues with current American popular music.

9. Guitar Blue says:

By Thursday night, all 3 of these girls will have had 9 weeks of National Prime Time exposure, been watched and reviewed by pretty much everyone in the mainstream of the music business. ……………

If industry Scouts and Indie Labels think they see a long-term attractive investment in signing and promoting them, any one of, or all 3 will get a deal. “Marketability” has a wide range of meanings, as there are many different markets to address in the music and entertainment field. ……………

During the period of time these shows are airing, it’s easy to grossly overestimate or underestimate the potentials of an aspiring artist, based on our personal taste and assumptions. ..

They will all 3 make over $100,000 this year, with the tour and show pay earned; one of them (the winner) will also get around a $300,000 record contract and other perks. 2nd place may get a record contract as well, and you never know, 3rd place could do well in the industry if they get a good management group behind them……

On the other hand, the business is a fast-moving and fickle enterprise – where new talent is emerging daily and your limited fame from a talent show can fade quickly. It will be interesting to see where these 3 are in 2 years.

10. Adam Fachry says:

Honestly at this point, I’m sort of indifferent with the idea of Candice becoming the winner. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of her, it’s just I’m afraid her album won’t live up to her potential. I really want her to go the Jill Scott, Sharon Jones, Ledisi, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Eryka Badu, Janelle Monae, Lianne La Havas and even Jazmine Sullivan approach where she becomes this indie neo-soul / r&b songstress instead of the Rihanna one. I don’t care if that makes her not radio-ready, but she’s got wayyy too much brilliance to sing materials like “shine bright like a diamond”

11. Kaycee says:

It’s actually BETTER if the best singer/person does NOT win because they are locked into a 5 year agreement and have no say so on the way they want to go with THEIR music. Look at some of the past idols who should have done better after winning but they fell off the face of the earth. The non winners will have a much better career starting out because they will all get recording contracts and won’t be married to a stupid 5 year contract of people trying to market them in a way that does not benefit them. That has been clear since the beginning of idol and read an interview from one of the winners who said they wish they had not won and had they known that they’d be a market puppet and not be able to be who they were they would have purposely tried to not win but just be a top contender. Kree is a perfect example of someone who has the talent and KNOWS who she is and what she sings best but if she won they’d totally ruin her in those 5 years she must do as told, sing only what she’s told to sing, etc…..

The name of the game with idol is to hope to be in the top 5 so you stand out but to definitely NOT win the competition….that in no way implies they aren’t good or enough to be a winner but NO ONE wants to end up the actual winner.

12. init2winitdawg says:

The songlist are floating around online, Candice is finally going to sing a Mary J. Blidge song, I have been hoping she did one or Jill Scott.

• Spudd says:

Here’s the song list for this week:

Angie Miller
      “Maybe” by Emile Sandé
      “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word” by Elton John
      “Try” by Pink

Candice Glover
      “Next To Me” by Emile Sandé
      “One” by U2
      “Somewhere” by Reri Grist/Barbra Stresiand

Kree Harrison
      “F****n’ Perfect” by Pink
      “Better Dig Two” by The Band Perry
      “Here Comes Goodbye” by Chris Sligh/Rascal Flatts

13. Ann VerWiebe says:

I think it’s ridiculous that Randy keeps labeling Candice and Amber as “church girls” when Angie is clearly in the Contemporary Christian wheelhouse and will probably go that route (until she figures out she can’t make a living at music unless she crosses over).

• ETG says:

If Angie wins, I’m not sure that her contract will allow her to do CCM. At least not initially. And yes, it is almost impossible to make a living doing that genre; only a handful of artists over the past 40 years have been financially successful at it, IMO.

14. ETG says:

Is Angie “unbeatable”??? I have no idea. All I know is that she is NOT my “cup of tea”.

15. Jasmine says:

It’s never going to happen. The wonderful, fantastic, beautiful Angela Miller is gone. I’m truly upset. My whole Idol experience has been ruined. Kree over Angie? Seriously?! America has made an egregious error yet again. Remember Season 10? Lauren Alaina over Haley Reinhart. I couldn’t believe it. Now I really can’t believe it and obviously by the looks on the judges and the audience’s faces, they couldn’t either. Angie was soooo GREAT! My head is pounding right now. I will always love you Angie Miller. I really feel for her. This was her life, this was her dream. This girl was the most hungry. And now it’s gone…just like that! I really hope she does better than the winner! I love her so much. I miss her already.

16. Apparently the answer is yes; Angie can be beaten.