Ratings: Once and Revenge Tick Up, The Mentalist and Red Widow Rise With Finales

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Red John's RulesABC enjoyed upticks across the board this second Sunday of May sweeps, starting with the penultimate Once Upon a Time, which with 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating was up 3 percent and two tenths versus last week.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: The Lost Baes

Leading out of that, the penultimate Revenge (6.2 mil/1.8) inched up 3 percent and a tenth, while Red Widow (3.5 mil/0.9) wrapped its freshman run by adding a handful of viewers and a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: A Change of Plans

Over on CBS, The Amazing Race crossed its 22nd finish line with 9 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, down a tick week-to-week and off 15 percent from its previous spring finale. The Mentalist‘s finale drew Sunday’s largest primetime crowd — 9.2 million — while scoring a 1.7 rating, up 6 percent and a tenth. (It also found an eerie way to reveal the Red John suspects.)

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

Elsewhere, NBC’s Celebrity Apprentice (4.7 mil/1.4) dipped 7 and 12 percent to tie a series low… Pending NASCAR-related adjustments, Fox’s The Simpsons (1.7) and Family Guy (2.1) were down, while Bob’s Burgers (1.7) and American Dad (2.1) were up.

Comments (24)

• Emily and Victoria’s scene on the swinging bench was epic. Revenge has really turned it around I’m actually waiting in suspense like last season!

Comment by Xandra – May 6, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Upon a Time, which with 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating was up 3 percent and two tenths versus last week….GREAT!

Comment by Rita Coelho – May 6, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode last night from once, an a amazing performance by Lana Parrilla (Regina)

Comment by rocio rojas (@rochiss271) – May 6, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see OUAT and Revenge with better ratings this week. Both shows have gotten SO GOOD lately (still heartbroken for Neal & Emma) and I’m glad it seems like more people are tuning in to watch live again. Hopefully they both go up again for the finales this weekend! =)

Comment by HeatherC – May 6, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad about OUAT ratings. So low. Better than the last few but still. For a two-part finale, that’s very low.

Comment by sara – May 6, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OUAT ratings decline is quite spectacular. Can you imagine – episode 02×01 had 3.9 demo. No matter how you look at it the drop is quite unbelievable!

Now they have 3.0 demo in L+7 ratings…

Comment by whatever – May 6, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If ABC stopped having three week break’s with this show people might have kept interested after the first such break I switched this to my DVR viewing and not my live Sunday watch. As I just didn’t know when it was on and it’s easier to figure out what’s going on then.

Comment by Mark – May 6, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s not like their scheduling is uncommon. Lots of shows have that. Side effect of having a television season that starts in September and ends in May but with 22 episodes.

Comment by xaverie – May 6, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *applause* truth.

Comment by mia – May 6, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t believe that was the finale

Comment by Brynn – May 6, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised good ratings for The Mentalist with the scant promotion it gets.

Comment by nitemar – May 6, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the Mentalist finale was excellent in the way they showed the 7 names. It was a little creepy. Can’t wait for next season.

Comment by Pamc – May 6, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m praying that Neals alive and that he and his love reunite because Henry really needs a father but I hope emma moves on and finds someone better who loves her and stays kind of like graham and that he and Neal(if he is alive) should battle for Emma because that would show how in love Neal was/is with emma

Comment by Delena forever – May 6, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time was incredible last night. Michael Raymond-James was amazing. Love me some Neal Cassidy

Comment by Kelly – May 6, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly don’t understand why ratings go up and down. Who watches tv shows so casually and why do they have such an influence on renewal. Like who just watches an episode of Once Upon a Time? Its one long story?! I understand stopping watching something, but tuning in just cause? I just don’t get it. I don’t know anyone who does that – not even my grandparents; they always watch their shows.

Comment by mia – May 6, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lots of people do that. Or they record it. They have an influence on renewal because it’s based on how much money the show makes.

Comment by xaverie – May 6, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For once I feel clever on a police procedural! I’ve had Reed Diamond down as Red John since his first appearance. I also figured Bertram, Kirkland and Stiles would be on the list (naturally, those were the most obvious answers). However, I have no recollection of who Mcallister or Smith even are. I need to go back and re-watch their episodes during hiatus :-)

I wonder if Red John will turn out to even be on the list in the end, or if this indeed is the magnificent seven.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – May 6, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad The Mentalist did good ratings last night! That was one excellent episode and so surprising. The Red John story is really coming to a head. I was so wowed by those last few moments.

Comment by J – May 6, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The very best episode of revenge this season and is in par with the first season– so many shocking twists!!!

Comment by Jake – May 6, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched, but have never been less interested in the outcome of an Amazing Race finale. I hope they cast better couples next season. These were so uninteresting.

Once was awesome. Hope the ratings shoot up next week. People should watch that live now that Amazing Race is over.

We’ll see

Comment by Gerald – May 7, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m going solo as one who was hoping Red Widow would survive. They needed better writers, but the acting was good — and great chemistry between to two lead characters. Maybe one of the cable stations will pick it up.

Comment by AnitaC24 – May 8, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not alone regarding Red Widow. When it started I was like huh? But after a few episodes I went back and rewatched and fell in love with the show and love Marta and Nickoli Shiller chemistry. He is so brooding. I hope Abc gives Red Widow a chance like they did Scandal. I think alsoit would fit better at 9pm before Nashville

Comment by scandalhooked – May 9, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish that Abc renew Red Widow, I loved this show and really need to see more of it, espeically since Abc left us in despence by not knowing if martha daughter killed schilling or not, please im begging that you bring it back and thanks for bringing back once upon a time

Comment by Angelica thomas – September 16, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post