Mad Men Recap: Meet the New Boss

Mad Men Season 6 Recap“I don’t like change,” Peggy declares at one point in this week’s Mad Men. “I just want everything back the way it was.” Too bad, Peg, because your entire world is about to shift in seismic fashion. After a very methodical start to the season, the AMC drama ramped up, big time, with the packed “For Immediate Release.” Let’s take a good look at what went down.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

WE’RE IN THE MONEY | The episode opens with Joan, Pete and Bert meeting with a banker who’s evaluating the company’s potential for an IPO. He leaves to review the financial information, and Joan nearly swoons when Pete tells her that her portion of the firm will make her worth at least $1 million. It’ll also make the firm much bigger – a fact that might be used to sway Don, who’s expected to put up some resistance to Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce going public. Within the next few days, Bert has great news: The banker valued SCDP at $11 a share, which means — allow me to do the math for a minute… carry the one… square root of pi… move the decimal point – the partners are all going to be stinking rich. Unless something goes wrong, but that’s not likely to happen, right?

THE PERFECT STORM | While Pete, Joan and Bert are celebrating in secret (they plan to tell everyone else the following day), forces are gathering to conspire against them. Well, maybe not so much “forces” as “Don’s cockiness” and “Pete’s penis.” First, Pete and Bob visit a whorehouse… where Campbell runs into his father-in-law (and SCDP client) with, as he later tells Ken, “the biggest, blackest prostitute you’ve ever seen.” Ken assures his colleague that Trudy’s dad can’t say anything to his daughter, who hasn’t filed for divorce yet and who seems to be softening toward her husband, without outing himself as a philanderer, too. It’s a matter of “mutually assured destruction,” Cosgrove says.

Pete would feel even less at ease if he knew that he’d been bumped from a dinner involving Jaguar fat cat Herb, Don, their wives, Megan’s visiting mother Marie and Roger. Though Roger never shows at the meal, which is intended to let Herb vent about his anger toward the firm – and hopefully smooth things over a bit – Don uses the event as an opportunity to tell Herb exactly what he thinks about him. (It doesn’t help that Herb, who is certainly an insufferable boor, suggests that an employee who draws up fliers at the dealership should give Don notes on SCDP’s early creative work for the account.) It goes downhill from there.

REALLY FRIENDLY SKIES | Roger’s bedding a cute little airline employee, Daisy (played by Danielle Panabaker, Bones, Shark) who works the first-class lounge at the airport, in order to get account leads. And when his hard “work” pays off and he gets a crack at the campaign for Chevy’s newest car, he can’t wait to share the news with the SCDP gang (and rub it in Pete’s face, just a little).

Unfortunately for Rog, he returns to the office just as Campbell learns that Don effectively ended the firm’s relationship with Jaguar. Pete sputters, falls down the stairs (I know this is terrible but ha!) and spews vitriol at Don for ruining the IPO, of which Draper is still unaware. It’s a scene full of chaos and gaping employees until Joan pushes the men into the conference room to figure out what’s what. Roger announces that they’ll present to Chevy in Detroit on Friday, and in the excitement, Joan almost gets lost. That is, until Don asks her to gather the creative staff in his office, and the edge in her voice cuts him to ribbons. She’s mad that Don – the one partner who was against her sleeping with Herb to land the Jaguar account – just threw away everything she’d done. “Honestly, Don, if I could deal with him, you could deal with him,” she says, swallowing angry tears. “And what now? I went through all of that for nothing?” Get it, Christina Hendricks!

As if there weren’t enough going on, Pete’s father-in-law calls his bluff and pulls Vicks’ business from SCDP, telling Pete that he can’t stand to have someone so disgusting around his daughter. (Um, those who stick their nether regions into glass houses really shouldn’t throw stones, no?) So Pete tells Trudy everything, but it backfires and she orders him to pack his things and leave for good.

SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT | Life is also in flux at Cutler Gleason and Chaough. Frank Gleason has pancreatic cancer and plans to leave, which means Ted and Jim are going to have to buy him out if they want to keep the firm afloat. Ted is freaking, personally and professionally, and when Peggy tells him “strong,” he responds by kissing her… and she responds later that night by pretending Abe in his tidy-whities is really Ted in a smoking jacket. Uh-oh.

CGC, along with SCDP and a few other firms, are all set to present to Chevy. But in a Detroit hotel bar late the night before the presentations, Don and Ted realize that neither of their firms will nab the business because they’re just not big or prestigious enough. After sharing their ideas – and grudgingly acknowledging that each are very good – they decide to present together. Guess what? It works.

So when Peggy is called into Ted’s office upon his return, she’s beyond shocked to hear Don’s voice say, “We got it. We won Chevy.” (Brilliant reaction from Elisabeth Moss, by the way.) Bottom line: SCDP and CGC are merging to create a much larger company that can play with Madison Avenue’s big boys. Don and Ted are glowing with smug satisfaction; Peggy looks like someone hit her in the face with a two-by-four, but she dutifully retires to her office and starts to draft the press release announcing the merger.

Now it’s your turn. What do you think of SCDP and CGC forming a mega-firm? Are you mad that Marie and Roger didn’t have another fling (yet)? How do you think Dr. Rosen’s frustration/possible resignation will affect Don and Sylvia’s affair? Sound off in the comments!

1. EJ says:

Christina Hendricks looked uncomfortable on-camera in several shots, like she suddenly didn’t really know who Joan was anymore. I thought it was very odd.

Welcome back to Julia Ormond. Marie makes me laugh.

• WW says:

Christina Hendricks is playing it perfectly – the fact she doesnt know who Joan is anymore is exactly where she is at in this part of her life. She is a partner but Don is still telling her to fetch his creative team like an office manager. She slept her way to a partnership instead of earning it like her capabilities should have allowed her and more importantly she is not as youn as she used to be – so Joan is not herself these days.

Pete falling down the stairs priceless.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Great thoughts on Joan! I never thought about it that way with Joan not knowing who she was anymore.

• Chester says:

She earned the partnership because she organizes the business. When they all leave to start the new agency, they all recognize that they need her help. Because her work, except for the accounting, is ‘women’s work’, they don’t reward her with the partnership she deserves. Only after she prostitutes herself will they give her the partnership. Her choices were to remain unrecognized in traditional, respectable work or to become recognized by degrading herself through prostitution.

• james says:

You realize woman during this time weren’t in positions to be partners. She had to sleep her way to the top. And she will always be viewed as just a secretary. She got way over her head making a deal with the devil.

• april-ann says:

Yes she did get in way over her head (pun intended). Joking aside, she did make a deal with the devil, which makes her no different than the successful men in the business. I for one would like to see her suck it up (pun intended) and play with the big boys now that she’s at the top and learn to use the cutthroat tactics they do to stay there.

• Chester says:

That’s the essence of Weiner’s criticism, through Mad Men, of the way women were treated at the time. I was responding to someone who said “she slept her way to a partnership instead of earning it.” The point is that she earned it without the sex, but they still would not give it to her.

• Perfect way to put it: Joan is going through major growing pains. Sometimes having to feel her way through the dark to get to where she’s going. I love the way Marie cuts Roger down to size. Did anyone recognize Roger’s lounge-mate from Chevrolett? He seems much heavier but, I recognize him from the ’60’s. Anyone know who he is?

2. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Great episode – Mad Men back in full throttle mode. I always assumed that somehow SCDP and CGC would find a way to merge. My question – does the merger alleviate the need/desire to go public with an IPO? If the IPO goes public, that might be the second shoe to drop and give Don (and the show) a chance to really turn up the pressure.
    When companies go public, at a minimum, the company’s executives’ lives (at least professionally, if not personally) become an open book – the shareholders find out how much they make, what their backgrounds are, where they went to school, and so forth. I think it is likely that Don can’t go through that process – the Dick Whitman portion of this life would be exposed. He’d need to ‘make his escape’ before that happens. Very interesting.
    Good quotes in this episode as well –
    * “Fate hasn’t chosen me.” “I don’t believe in fate. You make your own opportunities.”
    * “It’s one thing to want something, it’s another to need it.”
    * “Let me tell you how great this is going to be.”
    Will the Dr Rosen possible resignation have an effect on Don/Sylvia? I think it is possible; but if so, so be it – I’m still hoping for one scene with Don and Ted’s wife Nan. Don always has to be ready to move on, following his Uncle Mac’s wisdom – “A man always has to have his bags packed and ready go.”

• Josh says:

Pete already knew about Don’s secret past, In one of the earlier seasons he found out about it and threatened to – and then did – tell Bert everything. But Burt indicated the past wasn’t important. So is the IPO a way for Pete to smoke out Don, or just get rich? Also, I’m wondering if Don isn’t going to harbor any ill will toward Peggy for using his “Change the conversation” line, or will he be proud she remembered it and used it so appropriately?

3. i was really excited by this episode – it definitely harkens back to the last episode of season three.
    i was also intrigued by the balance of don being the ‘don of old’ and also being called on his sh** by joan. that’s pretty much the first time anyone has done that – at least in front of other people – and the dressing down came from someone don might actually listen to, so i’m fascinated to see if that has any effect – or does chevy just wipe out her words completely from his mind???
    bring on the next episode!

• anna says:

Of course it will have no affect on him. Don is ruled by his ego.

• peb says:

Of course it had a major effect. Joan told Don to think “we”, and that was the whole reason Don thought of the dual presentation and the merger.

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Ha! was pretty much my reaction to Pete falling down the stairs too.
    I don’t know what to think about Joan’s reaction to Don quitting Jaguar. The guy was an ass, I’m glad he’s gone. I feel like Joan should have been happy about that too. And it’s not like she did it for nothing, she’s still got her partnership, which was the whole reason she went through with it in the first place. I also still feel really skeezed out by her decision to whore herself out like that to Jaguar, so I felt great difficulty feeling sorry for her in that moment when she hissed at Don. By the way, Joan is so stunning with her hair down. She should do that more often.
    Overall, it was quite an episode, eh? I agree it was pretty ramped up. The ending shocked me. I wonder what Peggy’s place in the new firm will be. I’m thinking it will be a step down as the new firm will be top heavy. I guess this means we get a lot more of Ted. (On a side note, I went to school with that actor, so I always like seeing him on the show. Name dropping! Haha.)
    Marie’s icy cold speech to Roger made me laugh. I know it wasn’t meant to be funny, but it made me laugh regardless, because Roger is so not used to women giving him the cold shoulder. Roger had another funny moment too in the episode at the airport. “They’re messing with us. Daisy is going to lose their luggage.”

• Lin says:

Britta, I have read so many responses of late as to how Joan did the deed for her partnership. My recall of this event was her response to Pete; a silent acknowledgement that the firm was going to
      die a quick death without that account. The issue of partnership was a Lane idea ( to save the firm immediate cash). Skeeze not my sweet, and try to imagine supporting a child and your mother in
      1968; after spending your entire adult working life at one firm and being neither male nor young.

5. Xandra says:

Great episode for Pete, Joan and Peggy. Poor Peggy thought she had a triumphant moment last season and was out of Don’s reach for good, and then this crap happens. At least she’s making more money. Pete and Joan were soooo in the right for calling out Don. Don is impulsive and doesn’t put the company before his own wants.

6. Krissy says:

SO glad to see all the supporting players getting their screentime after the lopsided debacle that was Season 5.

7. Jessica says:

I’ve been annoyed at Don all season, but in this particular case regarding Jaguar I’m on his side. The firm was clearly doing well (as it had expanded and they hadn’t lost Vicks yet. Even if Don didnt know they were going public he mustve noticed they were making money) and Herb was an awful deuchebag!

8. Kathy says:

From the date on the press release Peggy was typing, it’s only a out another week until Bobby Kennedy gets murdered. It will be interesting to see how it will be handled

9. cfm says:

“It’s a common mistake to not ask questions when you want something because you’re afraid of the answers.” Banker in the opening scene setting the tone of the episode.
    Bert, Pete, Joan don’t want Don and Roger’s IPO answers so they don’t ask.
    Megan doesn’t know why Don seems distant but doesn’t ask.
    Marie is hurt by being stood up by Roger but doesn’t wait for an explanation.
    Peggy moved where Abe wanted to raise kids before asking herself the hard questions.
    Don and Ted don’t ask any questions they want the account so badly.
    Ted’s reaction to his partner’s cancer news reminded me of Don. “Stop talking about money.”
    His scene when he kissed Peggy after she called him strong when he was terrified mirrored the scene of Megan telling Don she loved when he was fearless though he was scared. But Don would never say, “I’m sick of people saying I’m nice” like Ted did and that is their main difference.
    When Peggy powdered her nose before giddily going to Ted’s office, I felt sad for her. It always bothered her Don never tried anything with her (she even said so to him in The Suitcase) and she’s enjoying Ted’s flirting. And she walks in and sees the man who ignored her but taught her everything merging with the man who kissed her and gave her a real chance. Things just got really interesting for Peggy!
    I also felt sad for Megan. After the awful dinner with Herb Don was turned on from the thrill of telling off weasel Herb but Megan thinks it’s because of the sexy way she dressed. Her mom may be threatened by her signing autographs but that’s not the reason for Don’s distance.
    Joan, I did not feel sorry for. I think her reaction was more about the IPO falling through, not as much about losing Jaguar. I did love her comment to Don, “just one time I’d like to hear you say we.”
    Which leads Don to come up with the idea of merging with CGC. At the hotelTed says “” and Don says “we… now there’s an idea.”
    Also their pitches for Chevy are telling.
    Ted’s: Today, nobody knows where they’re headed but they’re not afraid of what’s around the bend. Power + Design = Adventure.
    Don’s: It’s so new, this combination of power, technology, comfort and price, it’s impossible to imimagine. The future is something you haven’t even thought of yet.
    They are basically pitching a merger to each other and you know they’ll be able to pitch it to their partners just as well.
    In the end, Don got double the firm, which Pete had told Joan would be why Don would accept the IPO idea. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

• anna says:

I don’t feel sorry for Megan. She’s spineless this season.

• cfm says:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like Megan. I do think it is sad how out of touch with the reality of her marriage she is.

• ivy says:

I know from reading interviews with Matthew Weiner that the series is going to end with Don in his 80’s looking back. My prediction is that he will be married to Peggy as the show started with her first day at Sterling Cooper.

10. Jo Montana says:

Great episode indeed in every way. I totally trust the writers to weave us and the characters through an amazing loom. One thing is really bugging me. This car for Chevy….if it’s the Camaro, that was out in 1967. Peggy’s memo at the end announcing the merger was May, 1968. Not sure why this car issue is bothering me, but it is.

• Unfortunately for them it’s the Vega. Ouch.

• RabbitEars says:

I too thought it was going to be Chevy Camaro… especially all the build-up that Don did in regards to the car being MORE than the Ford Mustang. So out of curiosity I looked it up, the Camaro debuted in 1967. Infact when Don & Roger at GMC’s head office, in the Lobby behind the iconic Corvette… sits a 1968 Camaro.
      So, as want I am to do often on Sunday Nights, I watched the episode twice back-to-back, the second time catching the code letters for this GMC yet unnamed vehicle… the XP-887… and looked it up, turns out the car they were pitching for was the Chevy Vega which in 1968 would still have been in the preliminary stages on the drawing board, with its actual release for the 1970 model year. Not to mention that the car was sort of the “something for everyone” car … available in a 2 Door Hatchback, a Notchback, Wagon, and Panel models.
      Interestingly the Vega was released and quickly won Motor Trend Car of the Year… BUT by the time of its demise (1977) it was a “favourite” of Ralph Nadar due to it’s many safety issues, and recalls & warranty claims. It would go onto be listed as one of the worst cars ever made in many magazines, and be nicknamed in Popular Mechanics as “the car that nearly destroyed GM”.
      The Vega is considered to be “the symbol” of all the problems that Detroit and the US Car Industry faced in the 1970s. (Info on the car, as per Wikipedia)
      Interesting foreshadow perhaps? Of what is to come of this SCDP… and their merger with CGC? Is this telling us that you cannot be everything to everyone effectively… that there are limitations, things you cannot always see on the horizon? The US Car Industry suffered in the 1970s due to Inflation, the changes in Consumer Regulations, the Gas Shortage, and the influx of Foreign Imports. I do feel that the coded XP-887 Account is setting the stage for us and the coded SDCP-CGC Ad Co… and the many unknowns ahead that will break loose as we head thru the rest of unsettled Sumer of 1968 and on into 1969 and the turbulent 1970s.

• Jo Montana says:

Great research and yes, now that I think about it, they’ve introduced many products, changes, etc. with an uplifting sort of promise on this show. And so it is in life. Imagine if we all knew what was coming next. I think life’s disappointments would overshadow that need to hope. So so funny it’s the Vega and yes, it really does couple with all that’s about to come down presidentially and other. I think back to these times in teen hood as easier softer times. Maybe because my mom and dad were footing the bill and life was so full of rock and roll and mood altering drugs. Now in hindsight, I see that we were in a most turbulent time and today is simply the outcome of it all.
        My dad had the Ford Pinto. What a dog, but my guess, was Fords answer to the Vega?? I noticed the numbers they mentioned as I too watched the re-run as I always miss things. Should have jotted that down. I thought the car in the background, behind the Corvette was a Malibu. It just looked larger. Again, great research and thanks!

• Lucy27Lucy says:

I think getting the Chevy account, and the fact that it is Vega gives a lot of interesting places to take the plot for a while – the Vega when first introduced was Car of the Year, so they could have significant early successes. It later on became a bust with numerous recalls, quality, reliability and rust issues. This episode was one of the best in 2 years, good to see the head writer back on the job.

11. GG says:

My favorite lines were

Older man from other ad agency: “What. Ya takin your son to look at colleges”

Roger’s repsonse…”no we are in the market for a car”

On another subject

How sad that Peggy is being pulled down by her boyfriend when Peggy has work so hard and has accomplished such great professional strides

I too have great respect for cultural diversity, but Peggy sure is paying an uncomfortable price in living in the apartment that her boyfriend chose

The apartment that Peggy viewed on the Upper East Side personified the cleanliness, organization and the status of a place that Peggy so dilligently worked toward and saw herself in

Now Peggy may find herself having lost money because either she leaves Abe, loses money on the apartment or Abe will prove that he does not have the skills to remodel the apartment

In repsonse to the post above, I never felt that Peggy was insulted by the fact that Don did not make a pass at her. As a woman writing about Peggy I would think that Peggy feels honored that Don views Peggy as a sister or a mentor. From a woman’s point of view I would feel that someone had more respect for me then the other women, if someone treated me as his mentor yet made passes at the other women. Don holds a special place for Peggy and respects Peggy too much to make passes

• cfm says:

I agree with you that there is some honor in the fact Don never hit on her. But in the episode “The Suitcase” Peggy and Don speak about this and she is hurt he never hit on her. Even her family assumes he was the father of her baby.
      I didn’t just assume she felt that way.

12. TDunross says:

A great episode indeed. I just want to point out a little detail about Peggy’s Ted fantasy. For the split second that the camera turns to Ted, he’s reading the book “Something” by Ralph Waldo Emerson, a leather bound edition. I’m geeking out a bit here, but I happen to know that Emerson never wrote such a book. Peggy probably isn’t familiar with Emerson’s work, but she must assume that Ted is, as he quoted Emerson when he recruited her. Thus it’s appropriate that when she envisions Ted, he’s reading a leather bound edition of something Emerson wrote.

The powers that be couldn’t have been faulted for using an actual Emerson book, or even some blank leather tome, but instead they opted to create a custom “Something” by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and in-so-doing gave us clearer picture of how Peggy sees Ted.

The attention to detail in this show never ceases to astound.

13. Stephen says:

So… who’s the new boss?

14. GeoDiva says:

Now, that was my Mad Men!

15. Brighter Days says:

Isn’t The New Boss reference from The Who’s Won’t Get Fooled Again? “Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.” Don is the new and old boss.

16. Madnewbie says:

What were the books that Roger took out of his bag before heading to the Airport?

17. DarlaD says:

I really felt for Joan, I’d be pissed too. I’m so glad she told Don off and Christina Hendricks and Jon Hamm’s acting in this scene was perfection. The look on his face was priceless. Great episode, I wish this show would never end!

18. whowho says:

It was funny when someone called Roger “silver bells” Maybe they should have called him “silver balls”.

19. cat says:

I thought Betty was supposed to have a big role this season? Get rid off Megan and give Betty her screen time instead.

• Gail says:

Betty and Don’s children don’t have much to do with Don anymore. It must be tough to fit her in,

• Pat D. says:

I agree. It was a big mistake to break Don and Betty up if you intended on keeping Betty on the show. You could literally never have her appear again, and it ultimately wouldnt matter, IMHO.

In a sense, it almost seemed to be getting that way with Peggy too—-she was so far removed from the “main world” of the show that it almost seemed like her plotlines were tacked on to the central story for no reason.

Thank God Matt found a way to get Peggy back in the firm, because I would have hated to see her leave the show.

20. Dave says:

Great episode! One thing that baffled me is that Don can merge companies without involving the partners? How is that possible?

• Mike says:

That’s what I was going to say. I guess you have to assume it was done off camera. If that is the case then they skipped quite the possible blowouts because they are going to have some crazy tap dancing to do now as they both have similar clients. That’s a conversation we should have seen. And if we still do see it then isn’t it too little too late as it will have happened after the merger.

Otherwise, great episode. That moron from Jaguar needed to go. Who hires a firm to do their advertising and then asks them to use their own guy(some kid who does the flyers locally) to create ideas? Why bother hiring an ad agency then? Just do it yourself. And I can imagine the dynamics with Peggy being back along with the merger of the bosses(from 4 to 7) is going to make a rather tense company…at least in the short term.

• Pat D. says:

Actually…it looked like from the spoilers that at least the powerless figurehead Cooper didnt seem too happy about it, though Matt’s “next week on Mad Men” clips are often vague and misleading. So maybe Don did only involve Roger in the decision.

21. Gail says:

Poor Abe. He thinks in the worse case , the next President will be Robert Kennedy ( this being one month before the assassination). We ended up with Nixon. I wonder if the show will deal with the assassination next episode or will there be a time jump and it will have already happened.

• Mike says:

With what just happened I’m not sure they can time jump much. There’s so much immediate fallout from the merger that they’d be skipping far too much drama.

• Meg says:

Since they’ve shown JFK’s and MLK’s assassinations I would assume they would also show RFK’s as well.

• RabbitEars says:

I assume they’ll show some aspect of the Bobby Kennedy Assassination… it was key to 1968.

I remember that summer well… despite being a kid. It was a devastating year for America. MLK in April was one thing, but Bobby Kennedy in June was mind boggling… as big if not bigger than the fall out from JFK, because it woke ALL of America up enough to say “WTF is going on with our country ?”

Three key Americans ASSASSINATED in under 5 years !!

The reaction to Bobby’s murder / death was HUGE. As he was truly LOVED by both Black & White Americans… he was seen to be the possible “saviour” to bring country together, and then he was gone.

I will never forget the images on Tv… of the Funeral Train that made its way from NYC to Washington carrying RFK’s body… and how everyday Americans came out of their homes to sit in their backyards, stand at the stations, or line the tracks, to pay their respects. It was mesmorizing !!

I was a kid, 10 years old, and not even an American (I am Canadian). And I still get a heavy heart, and lump in my throat, and tears come to my eyes when I see photos of that time. Bobby’s death was HUGE. It was game changing.

22. EJ says:

I also don’t think they’d mention the Rosen’s teenage son going to Paris in May 1968 without having him somehow get caught up in the massive riots going on there at the time. Maybe he’ll go all “Les Miserables” on them.

23. Pat D. says:

…and who would have thought it possible, but I found myself rooting for FREAKING PETE CAMPBELL (and his stair-slaying FURY!) last night after pompous Don ditched the Jaguar account all by himself.

• GG says:

Pat D, I agree. I realize that the Jacquar Guy (Herb) is a cad. However, Don’s condesention toward Herb was starting to get old. In that situation Don needed to get off of his pompus high horse

24. Rene says:

Was I the only one who thought Joan yelling at Don was a bit much? Was she naive enough to think that Jaguar was going to stay with SCDP forever and ever? Did she forget about the partnership and stake that she already has because of that fateful night with Herb? I get that Don just cost her $1 Million (Which is a TON of money in ’68), but she already got her prize for sleeping with Herb which she did not HAVE to do and Don did not WANT her to do. I just don’t see her side in the argument. It’s a shameful, shameful business that she is a part of and this stuff happens. Put on your big girl pants and get over it.

• april-ann says:

No, you’re not the only one. I get the impression that Joan thinks all she ever has or had to do was “save the firm” that once. Well, that was a while ago and she’s a partner now and in this business, you’re only as good as your last account landing. She can’t ride that one thing forever (pun intended). And you’re right, Don did NOT want her to do that, even given that it meant saving the firm. I hope we see more of Dawn who, despite her quiet professionalism at the office, knows what a shameful, scumbag business it is and is shedding some light on it for us from her point of view (not that we didn’t already know it was though, lol).

• K says:

Actually Joan “saves the firm” on a daily basis. Apparently she’s been doing all the accounting since Lane’s death and the banker at the beginning told them that the books were “perfect.” She has more than earned her partnership, but I can see how she very much regrets the way she got it. Don just throwing Jaguar away out of pique (out of *his own* pride) is trivializing her sacrifice. I’m sure she would have been thrilled to trade Jaguar for Chevy IF Roger had come in the night before.

25. Sheldon W. says:

First ep since the premiere that didn’t almost put me to sleep.

Loved Joan telling Don to round up creative himself – and sleazy Pete basically failing on all fronts (he doesn’t learn, does he?). Also loved Roger’s creativity – and I’ll watch Danielle Panabaker (been a fan since Sky High) in anything, let alone a show as excellent as Mad Men usually is.

26. andjuliesaid says:

I miss Megan standing up to Don. I could take her or leave her, but I did like that she didn’t take any of his BS last season. This year, she’s completely useless.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Joan. She knew what she was doing, just like when she married the guy who raped her. If you don’t want to play with the big boys, Joan, don’t try to be a partner.