Dexter Season 8 First Look: 'I've Destroyed Deb'

Since Dexter‘s debut, Debra Morgan has made herself into quite a good cop. But as this new video for the Showtime series’ upcoming final season points out, “Her one Achilles’ heel is that she loves Dexter Morgan, and that comes with a price.”

RELATED | Dexter Season 8 First Look Video: Deb Makes Two Shocking Confessions

Clips from the drama’s past seven seasons — as well as new footage from its eighth and interviews with stars Jennifer Carpenter, Michael C. Hall and James Remar — track Deb’s progress from rookie officer to self-assured policewoman… to killer. Along the way, Carpenter & Co. give their take on Ms. Morgan’s romantic feelings for her adopted brother — and what they’ve cost her.

Dexter‘s final season bows Sunday, June 30 at 9/8c.

Press PLAY on the video below, then hit the comments: Has Dexter truly “destroyed” his sis?

1. celine says:

He either destroyed her or….unleashed her true self, it depends from which point of view you see it. But when you know Deb you know that she’s not like Dexter, she doesn’t have that darkness, so I’d say he destroyed her…

2. Ani says:

Love can make you do crazy things, but I think its Deb’s long history with Dexter, more than her romantic feelings for him, that are taking her down a dark road.

3. Anon says:

Ughh…I hope the whole season isn’t going to be about Deb whining.

I personally don’t condone becoming a murderer and it’s not a life path I would ever choose for myself..but Deb did in fact make a choice. She needs to own it-she could have shot her brother instead or simply killed no one in that moment. But she didn’t, she plugged Maria.

Her blaming Dexter is, well, a cop out.

4. A.B. says:

I been wondering about Deb’s fate ever since they said that the creators are not opposed to making a spin-off of Deb. so that’s got my head wondering if she’ll survive at the end or if its just to deflect us and they kill her in a surprise twist.

5. cjeffery7 says:

how does Jennifer Carpenter not have ALL THE AWARDS?! Dexter’s arc over the series blah blah he’s still a serial killer, that stopped being interesting after Rita died. Deb’s arc is the one that keeps changing and growing and taking unpredictable turns. Because of Deb’s arc, Dexter now has something a bit more interesting to worry about.

6. Flo says:

Jesus Freaking Bananaas with cheese on top!! – Not my first choice of words… but you get the idea! :P

7. sanna says:

Jennifer is amazing, can’t wait to see this.

8. bobbie says:

Actually, Deb’s the one that really creeps me out, not Dexter. I was hoping he’d put a stake through her heart, but if they’re talking spinoff, I guess that isn’t going to happen. I wouldn’t watch that show, I think.

I like a lighthearted serial killer. :)

9. Jimmydestiny says:

I couldn’t watch a spin off of deb. Her foul mouthed rants are often way over the top and unnecessary, I get that she is meant to be dramatic and foul mouthed but far to often it just falls flat and sounds down right silly. Her lack of any body fat what so ever also freaks me out a little, especially when that vain starts popping out of her forehead lol (sorry to far I know)

• cjeffery7 says:

poppy-outy forehead veins! – that IS the official term ;-) i am one of those people and i get comments on it pretty much all the time LOLOLOL

10. Leanne says:

This video was great! Deb is my fave on the show. Jennifer Carpenter knocks it out of the park, the scene where she tells Dex she’s in love with him is phenomenal. However, I do believe she was darker than we believed and that we will see how far she will go in the final season, especially if they;re prepping us for a spinoff. Would looove to see that happen! Also, I’m curious as to what will happen regarding relationships this final yr? Will it be Dex/Deb or Dex/Hanna?? She also creeps me out. Aaargh too bad it’s the final season!

11. she deserves recognition from the emmys and golden globe after this season!

12. Grimston says:

If this was in real life, I’d pity her, but she’s an adult. She made her choices.

13. Joe says:

It was one thing for Deb to know that Laguerta was trying to take down Dexter, but people shouldn’t forget that by that point, Deb also knew that Laguerta had her dead to rights with the video of her getting the gasoline that was used to burn down the church where Dexter killed Travis. Protecting Dexter is one thing, but Laguerta knew she was an accomplice. It seems like it’s getting made out to be that Deb killed Laguerta to protect Dexter, and she hates him for it in season 8, but I think we might see that what’s getting Deb deep down is that she knows she was protecting herself too, and that makes her like Dexter in a lot of ways, and she can’t accept that.

14. Sara says:

Omg. My husband and I have lost many hours of daylight on weekends sucking ourselves into this show. It’s suspense is mind numbing and nail biting. As of right now, we’re on Season 7, Episode 5 and I’m so dying to know what’s happening with deb. She is such an incredible actress it brings the show together. I have hated LaGuerta from the beginning of the show, she’s a backstabber and a skank. I’m wondering if dexter will ever get caught. Its almost too drawn out, too long of a series, though I admit I’ve loved every one of them. Lumen was by far my favorite character in the series.

15. jo says:

Debra made her own choices. I love her character . Don’t like the storyline about her being in love with dexter…that’s just weird ! Can’t wait for 8 ! Gutted its the last one ! If Dexter is going down or killed they better make it good ! Nooooo ! DEXTER FOREVER ! What will we do without them all in our lives ?!

16. nicole says:

Anyone else noticed in the 8×05 when Deb said: “you can hate me for the rest of your life, but for right now can we just set that aside”. then Dexter said: ” I don’t hate you” and then and then he begins to breathe hard and sighs. And gives the impression that he will tell her he loves her. and I think deb also noticed something strange about Dexter’s feelings for her. That scene reminded me a couple of times that Deb did not confess her love for Dexter yet. almost about to confess, Until she finally did it. .- in “Argentina”
    I really believed that Dexter is inlove with Deb but he doesn’t know yet.. Does he?
    I want that Dex&Deb’s loving relationship happen!!