It's Official: Revenge EP Sunil Nayar to Succeed Mike Kelley as Showrunner

EMILY VANCAMPSomeone new is officially at Revenges helm.

As predicted, executive producer Sunil Nayar has been named showrunner — taking over for departing series creator Mike Kelley — if and when the drama is renewed for a third season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s On the Bubble?

In addition to Revenge, Nayar’s career includes stints on Body of Proof, CSI: Miami and Oz.

1. ZmaX says:

Good to hear a confirmation, but I am worried…this could either work out for fail miserably. Mike Kelly always talked about how much he loved this show so hopefully Sunil Nayar has the same passion. Sure, Kelly was responsible for problems with season 2, but he was also the one to put in back on track during the second half.

In an interview last year, Kelly had talked about how he had lots of story ideas for the series and if the fans didn’t like certain plot lines, he would wrap those up and expand on the ones that people did like. That’s exactly what happened this year. He started wrapping up the Initiative arc because of a negative fan response and went back to the core “Emily vs the Graysons” story.

Kelly also knew exactly how he wanted to end the series and has definitely put a lot of thought in how he wants to develop the characters and their journey. I believe there is a reason for everything he’s done so far. Hopefully the new show-runner keeps that vision the same.

Good Luck Revenge!

2. Zorkel567 says:

So pretty much this is as good as a renewal…

3. EJ says:

It should be a summer series, 13 episodes.

4. Kyle says:

Is there a non-profiling way to ask if Sunil was responsible for Padma? Because that character was the single biggest blunder of the season.

• candice says:

you answered that question for yourself already.

• sam says:

to blame Padma is ridiculous, they have had bigger problems, like absolutely no direction in the first half and concentrating on expanding the show that just made things convoluted.

• kavyn says:

Padma wasn’t the biggest blunder of the season, the Initiative was.

• DL says:

I disagree, I just think the way the Initiative was handled was utterly bungled. Coming out of season 1, I thought it was a great idea to have a hierarchy of villainy that extended beyond the Graysons.

The issue was that it all needed to relate back to Emily’s father and HER revenge. It didn’t. Instead the Initiative plotline first became focused around Emily’s mother and Gordon Murphy, and then inexplicably moved on to being about Aidan’s sister. An example of a more interesting twist would’ve been if the Carrion plot came in earlier, and it became clear that the Initiative was setting up Nolan to be the new David Clarke. I too could have done without Padma, but as for the Initiative’s new terror plan, it has felt to me like one gigantic missed opportunity.

That said, getting back to the Graysons is definitely working for me. However, I’m not sure whether the “Victoria’s secret son” thing will function well in the long run.

• kavyn says:

The way I saw it, the Initiative was a cheap way to make the Graysons look like good people for killing Emily’s father. That’s why I hated it; I’m so tired of shows taking an excellent villain (Regina, Victoria, etc) and trying to find a way to make them actually look like good people (or people that “had” to do it to save themselves), when their original appeal was in the bad things they did.

I think Padma herself was fine. Having every little thing tie into the Initiative was just frustrating to watch. Didn’t care for any of the new characters this season really (Marco, Aiden, Foster Brother, Em’s mom, etc).

• ZmaX says:

I see what you mean, but I don’t think that was any of the writers/producers intention at all.

People aren’t born evil, they get that way. It’s the journey of a (possibly) good person being hurt by others and making wrong choices that leads them to darkness. The Graysons were forced into a corner but in the end, it was their choice to frame an innocent man. If Conrad was good, them he would have taken the fall.
            Knowing their past creates real three-dimension characters, but it doesn’t change the fact that they did awful things.
            The Initiative is no excuse for what Conrad and Victoria did, they could have handled it many different ways, but they made the wrong choice.

But Yes, people do like seeing villains being truly evil, I remember reading an interview with Kelly (midway through this season) about how he realized that the Graysons (specifically Victoria) didn’t seem as terrible, so he was going to correct that, which worked out well in this second half of the season :)
            I guess i’m an optimist/idealist, I like seeing a villain trying to atone for their sins and I do root for them to eventually learn from their mistakes, but it is so much more fun seeing a villain’s decedent into complete darkness. Every story needs a Hero and every Hero needs a Villain, so they need to keep the Graysons bad.

5. a says:

Well, it appears that this guy joined the show AFTER season one. Not a great sign.

6. A says:

Is Mike Kelley possibly staying on as a consultant?

• Mike says:

That’s what they said about Dan Harmon, and it didn’t happen, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up. On the brightside for fans this is almost as good as a renewal.

7. Andrew says:

UGH. I was hoping anyone but him! Are they purposely trying to destroy this show?! I mean c’mon, if you look at the credits, he’s responsible for some of the worst episodes this season. And I’m not racist, so don’t come attacking me, but he brought in Pointless Padma into the story. SHE’S HORRIBLE. PLEASE STAY DEAD. After the finale, I’m done with this show. I’m so ticked off at how god-awful it’s gotten. Thanks, ABC!

8. sam says:

I find it puzzling that to correct the problems of the beginning of season 2, they hire a showrunner who came in at the beginning of season 2 — perhaps he righted the wrongs of the first half of the season but still — this season is almost like night and day compared to the excellent first season — where every episode had you shocked to your core.

9. Drew says:

I really wish that Kelley was still in charge, but I won’t give up on the show because of this. I’m still a fan until it starts to suck.

Seriously though, if the main issue was that Kelley wanted shorter, tighter seasons, the network should have done it. Ultimately, it’s more profitable to have a successful product than one that people don’t like. Writers know how their story should be paced. I get that the network and studio thinks that more hours means more money, but if people stop watching the show, that’s not helping them. Instead, they could market Revenge as a television must-see event every year, and if the story is tight, the audience would go for it.

Lost got better when the writers worked out the deal to shorten the seasons and put an end date on the story. Alias fell apart because it became a rambling mess.

10. Gio86 says:

I wanted Nikki Toscano or Mark B Perry but lets wait it out before we come to any conclusions, lets see where season 3 goes. I was not a fan of Padma or making Nolan have a relationship with a girl, let alone her but who knows what happened behind the scenes. Maybe he will do a great job.

• vincentdante says:

It was clearly stated by Nolan that he was bisexual in season one.

• tripoli says:

People vwho comment on his relationships don’t care. They are weirdly adament that he should only be in a same sex pairing, or with Emily, which is a terrible idea. Dude goes both ways, deal with it.

11. iMember says:

All of you complaining about Padma…and she’s already dead. lol

12. Mikael says:

Emily’s mother was a wasted opportunity. I was hoping she’d be the Irina Derevko (Alias reference) of this series. Instead, she didn’t do ANYTHING. There was no point to bringing her in. Emily’s half-brother didn’t add anything besides a few episodes of filler, and don’t even get me started on the Ryan brothers/Stowaway plot! I can see why Kelley wanted shorter seasons. The show is at its best when it’s Emily taking down the Graysons and everyone who helped them frame her father. I like Aidan but he was getting in the way. I’m so glad he told Ems to get on with her mission and then go back to him when she’s finished. It seems like the show is getting back to basics.

• ZmaX says:

YES! I was so excited about her mother in the season 1 finale (I reminded me of Alias immediately. Alias Season 2 was perfection and Irina Derevko was a huge reason why) I had thought that Kara would have known everything about the David Clarke cover-up and was locked away some where, but she didn’t know anything! She wasn’t much help to Emily’s plan. But I did like the emotional turmoil it caused Emily (when she found out what Kara tried to do when she was little) But recently Kelly had said that in Season 3, Emily will in a way face her demons of if she is possibly mentally unstable like her mother. (due to the season 2 finale maybe? it’s said to be a game changer) We’ve seen her snap a few times (w/ Gordon Murphy, and after the sinking of the Amanda) and she has suffered a lot of mental, emotional, and physical abuse growing up. So developing Emily’s character with that would be very interesting.

13. GuyAwks says:

Very disappointed- Nayar joined the show in Season 2. I have no idea how he’s going to replicate Season 1′s magic when he wasn’t even there for it. *sigh* I really hope Season 3 has more takedowns and less serialized, convoluted nonsense or I’ll have to walk.

14. Robby Shrock says:

I loved season 1 so much. When Em is taking down everyone who has wronged her. But season 2 started to lose me with the character of Aiden. I HATED Aiden.

15. cas says:

You know I liked season 1 way more too. But eventually you have to add more people to the mix because as she continues to take people out how is she going to have anyone left to take revenge on if new people/plots aren’t added to the storyline? I feel that most people don’t understand this. I also liked Padma way more than the other guy Nolan was with, can’t remember his name but he wasn’t very interesting either. But I do agree she didn’t need to be a central character or have a huge storyline. I don’t know why everyone hates Aiden though, I like him.

16. Mwai says: