Scandal Recap: Cheaters Never Prosper

Scandal Mellie Reveals Fitz's AffairWarning: This recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains big ol’ spoilers from this week’s Scandal.

So… she didn’t blink.

PHOTOS | The Scandal Finale: What’s Cookin’ in the White House Kitchen? And Is [Spoiler] Quitting?

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Mellie as promised made camp across the street at Blair House, giving Cyrus 36 hours to convince her husband, his president, to give up on Olivia once and for all. Oh, the chief of staff did his darndest, all but laying out a PowerPoint preso for FLOTUS on how her political career and own one-day White House bid would play out if she sticks to the script.

Yeah, Mellie tore up that pitch in a hurry. And as the literal clock ran out, where was Fitz? At Olivia’s apartment, choosing her. Earning her. Because he wants her.

In fact, the copulating couple appeared none the wiser about the nuclear winter that Cy’s husband James aka The Next Anderson Cooper was broadcasting nationwide, on live TV.

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week: Scandal‘s Guillermo Diaz

Elsewhere in the hour, the Gladiators appeared to zero in on the mole/Albatross, after Huck ID’d Charlie’s ear — yes, his ear — from the storage facility security tape. Suspecting that Charlie was working for Cyrus, they set out to dig up as much as they could on the uber-elusive freelance spook. But in the end, their search led them to a book club gal pal whom Charlie had pursued in the name of getting his hands on the Defiance grand jury transcripts.

So if Cyrus, who would not want Defiance secrets out there, didn’t hire Charlie, who did?

Charlie may still have things to worry about, though, seeing as Jake has made him as the guy who fortified Cyrus with intel on President Grant’s new bestie. Actor Joe Morton has just one request of Jake as he preys on his own predator: Don’t kill him.

And can’t let this one go without mention: David Rosen, watching Mellie’s scandalous sitdown at OPA, wondering aloud who the prez is “banging” — and the tidal wave of awkwardness that followed.

But again, in summary: Mellie blabbed, as Olitz shagged. Is there any even-fictional scenario where Fitz runs for president again? What did you think of “A Woman Scorned” (indeed)?

1. rachelle says:

LIFE!! This episode gave me life. It was great as usual, but the Olitz goodness took me OVER the moon!

• ok says:

If they have any sense, (which I think they might), they’ll just stop here, and leave Olivia and Fitz where they stand.
      Let ‘em date for a while as she goes back to fixing, and then move the relationship slowly forward.

2. Moe says:

What just happened?!?!? #MindBlown

3. katie says:

OH MY GOSH! How do they top this?!

4. LaLa says:

Scandal for the win, hands down! The best thing on TV, period. I was holding my breath for the entire episode – breathing through the commercials. Now I’m holding my breath food next week’s episode. Superb.

5. Grrrrp says:

I am so tired of Olivia and Fitz. I hope his career goes down the toilet.

• Viv says:

Agreed. Their relationship is ruining the show for me.

• leelee says:

They are the SHOW!! Then don’t watch!!

• Jon says:

Shut up! The show is about more than just Ftiz and Olivia. The op can watch whatever the hell they want to- you on the other hand should be away from the TV at an institution somewhere learning manners.

• leelee says:

Really???? And where did you get your manners from??? The point is if you don’t like the show turn it off!!!

• Lola says:

No, the point is…you can like a show but not be happy with one part of it. Happens all the time. TV is not an all or nothing situation.

• Kristen says:

You are able to watch a show and not like a part of it, but still enjoy watching; however that is normally the case when a show makes a change in the storyline and breaks up a couple due to a triangle. Not when a pairing has played such a huge role in the series since day one. Olivia and POTUS’s relationship has consumed a large portion of the series, so it’s hard to believe someone would still like the show, but dislike the pairing so much. Not impossible, but a little odd. Not to mention… “Shut up!”? So, it’s okay for you to voice your opinion, but when someone voices their opinion all of a sudden they need to “shut up”? Let’s try to be remotely civil – we are all human beings after all. It’s people like you with your quick temper and closed mind that are what’s wrong with this world.

• Kort says:

The show is about WHATEVER Shonda Rhimes wants it to be, not what you think it should be.

• Nikki says:

Shut up with your high morals! they are the show.

• Lulu says:

There’s a lot of interesting things going on in the show. Those events, not Olivia’s sicko relationship with the president, keep a lot of people watching. He’s gross.

• Anna says:

They are not the show. I agree with the Viv and Grrrp that their relationship is annoying. I’d prefer Olivia move on to someone else & other actor’s storylines to get more development then seeing Olivia & Fitz break up and make up another billion times. Just because the actors have good chemistry together doesn’t mean the written plot can’t get tiresome.

• Cheyenne says:

So stop watching the show. Problem solved.

• Basically Scandal is Olitz. They are end game. This show could not and would not go on without them two.

• leelee says:

• Moe says:

The show could go on, it just would lose its rabid Olitz fanbase .

I have enough faith in the writers that they could pull anything off. To say that the show is just about Olitz, a GORGEOUS bonus – I love their chemistry, is to ignore the amazing casting, scriptwriting, storytelling, etc… which I think is an insult to Shonda Rhimes.

• Grrrrp says:

Exactly. This show is about much more than them which is why I do watch. I love everything else. Just not her relationship with Fitz. I don’t like the way he treats her.

• Charlie says:

@Moe. Yes. Olitz is only a part of the total sum of which is Scandal. There are so many parts that factor in making this a great show! Fans have favorites on the show outside of Olitz and understand Scandal as more of a complete package. The cast and crew deserves a lot of credit outside of the “narrow-minded” Olitz fandom. The Olitz storyline can not sustain this show forever. Please fans invest in the show as a complete package-the total sum.

• Mary says:

Not for me…I still watch the show for the games and manipulation and stories around the carachters; if the show was just about Olivia and Fitz, I would have stop watching a long time ago! Personally, couldn´t care less about them and their sick relationship. I respect people who like them, just don´t say the show is just about them, because it´s not…

• Ellen says:

Agree 100%. Don’t care about these two at all,in fact, doesn’t even make sense – it’s unhealthy and borderline ridiculous. Time for our girl to move on. And heck yeah, Shonda doesn’t need \olitz storyline to make this a kick arse show……. Shonda can make it worth fabulously without that combo.

• shasha says:

Scandal wouldnt be scandal without Kerry Washington…and if u dnt agree with how the show is just dont watch it…but remember ppl its just a show its not reality so chill out…theres more serious things in life then arguing over a damn show…

• Tasha says:

Yes absolutely!. They ARE the show.

• grandee says:

Most everyone wants to be loved or in love — not everyone wants or needs to “be fixed or handled.” Love2all!!

• Kort says:

It is called “Scandal” not “Saints”. Perhaps you should watch “Father’s Knows Best” or “I Dream of Genie” re-runs.

• Vince says:

It’s called SCANDAL because Olivia, in case you haven’t noticed, runs a crisis management firm. In short, her business is all about helping her clients get out of scandals they find themselves in.

• ShippersareMentallyDeficient says:

Wow, these Olivia/Fitz shippers are vicious and rude. I was personally grossed out by the love scene. He’s pathetic, he chooses her over his wife and his presidency at the sake of his own children. He is a selfish person, in real life, you would think he’s a dick but because it’s TV he is a romantic hero. Their entire relationship is built on lies. When he finds out that she slept with that other guy, he will be pissed and when she learns that he killed her friend, she will hate him. To me their relationship is the least interesting thing about the show. Huck and Olivia’s team are interesting and the cases they work on, not this soap opera drama in the White House. That part is actually getting really tiresome. Don’t tell me not to watch, I can watch whatever I want and you can stfu.

• Cheyenne says:

His wife is a vindictive, manipulative bitch. He never loved her. He’s stuck with her. He’s in the unenviable position of finding the love of his life after he was already married to someone he doesn’t love or respect. He’s far from perfect, but so is his wife.

• Tasha says:

THANK YOU Cheyanne! Fitz is a romantic hero because he chose LOVE over duty. ShippersareMentallyDeficient, you say that Fitz and Olivia’s relationship was based on a lie, Well, His and Millie’s marriage was based on a BIGGER lie! His marriage was a sham from the get go orcestrated by his fathers political powers. Millie knew what she was getting into form the JUMP! She is ambitious and married Fitz because of what she could gain politically. I don’t know if she fell in love with him later on or what, but she has found out over the years that things are not happening the way she wants. AND Fitz has found love, real love, with someone else. Instead of remaining trapped in a lie, he has decided to free himself by choosing the woman he loves! They say love triumphs all even DUTY. So yes, he (seemingly) gave it all up, his presidency (also based on a lie) and his fake marriage, for love–the only TRUE thing he has in his whole world!

• badromance says:

His wife just outed him on national television without warning her kids first.
        Mellie is the one who has traumatised those children in her bid to ruin their father, a man she never loved and she was PERFECTLY happy to organise to sleep with someone else.
        Now she’s upset because he fell in LOVE?
        What kind of monster is she?
        Olivia’s ‘friend’ tried to kill Fitz first, and they’ve BOTH slept with other people while they were apart. Thinking that will break up two ADULTS is just wishful thinking. They’ll fall out for 2 weeks, TOPS.
        The show DOES need to keep them together and move on now, though, the relentless drama is tiresome.
        As for Fitz’s career, now that Mellie’s started talking, it’s only a matter of time before people find out she gave a nod to the affair in the past and lied about the tape.
        Mellie WILL eventually turn all of America against her, because at her heart, she’s a foolish, spiteful, hypocritical woman.
        She is not the victim of the piece. None of them are, she’s just the best at self pity.

• Melissa A. White says:

I agree 100%. Fitz and Olivia’s relationship is the worst part about the show. I love the show, but I love it for everything else! And as far as Mellie is concerned, I went from hating her in the first season to absolutely loving her. I hope she ruins Fitz, and Olivia sees through his facade. He’s a murderer after all, and he uses Olivia when he chooses and discards her. Olivia is supposed to be strong and able to handle anything, yet she lets Fitz treat her like dirt under his feet.

• shasha says:

maybe if u paid attention to the whole show u would clearly see that fitz an his wife was basically put together and like mellie says they pretend to be a happily married couple for the public so him going with his true feelings is apart of being a human and once again the show is called SCANDAL seems like u need a dictionary to look the word up

• Cheyenne says:

“Stfu”? Who’s vicious and rude now?

6. JP says:

Hate to say it this about Scandal, but somewhat a lackluster episode tonight. I know they have to have a calm before final 2 episodes, but what really bothers me is its almost glaring that the mole is VP Langston. In an interview after the shooting of the President earlier in the season Tony Goldwin said there would be repucussions for what the VP did. Well we haven’t seen her and they haven’t named the mole… seems pretty fitting. Who else would want the defiance papers? Who wants the presidency so badly? Hope I’m thrown through a loop in final two episodes, but I’ll put my money on her being the mole.

• Moe says:

It’s so glaring, that I’m hoping she is not the mole, u know?

• grandee says:

Hollis Doyle is the mole — he hates Olivia — he likes “living in the Whitehouse” — he cannot do this with Fitz but he can and did when Sally was in charge. Release Defiance and once again own the Whitehulouse with Sally.

• Leah says:

I thought about Langston, too. But didn’t Jake’s bench pal say, “Don’t kill him?” That’s in the recap, too. That could certainly be a red herring…she could have someone doing the work for her besides Charlie.

• Alichat says:

“Don’t kill him” meant don’t kill Charlie. Jake asked if he could find out who was checking into him. That was Charlie.

• Anna says:

He meant: “don’t kill Charlie”. On another note, I’m curious to know how Charlie got out of B613. Obviously, he’s gone rogue unless the mysterious man’s torture unit was dismantled.

• Cheyenne says:

It was disbanded already. Remember all the spies meeting in Olivia’s office?

• Anna says:

Thank you Cheyenne. I’m a newbie to this show, have only been watching since Fowley came onboard.

• Moe says:

@Anna – You’ve got to start at the beginning! Season 1 should still be on Netflix! You won’t regret it!

• Ummm we did not watch the same episode, because this was not a lackluster episode, not even near it.This was a fast peace, action pack, heart breaking episode. I thought I was going to have a heart attack from how amazing it was.

• Alichat says:

Yeah….it seems odd we haven’t seen her. It’s looking more and more like it’s Langston. But I am seriously wondering if perhaps she and Mellie are in on it. Mellie comes forward about the affair and garners sympathy. That stirs up press about the President. Langston uses her information to cause other messes (like the hostages,) and gets Fitz into more trouble. He resigns. She becomes President. Then she appoints Mellie to some position which will give her a leg up into politics on her own. That’s the current theory running through my head. There’s a strategic reason Mellie spilled the beans on Fitz and Olivia now. I don’t buy the heartbroken wife.

• Cheyenne says:

I don’t buy the heartbroken wife either but I definitely buy the angry, scorned, humiliated wife. If you’ve been watching the show since the first season, you already understand how Mellie brought all this mess on herself. She not only encouraged Fitz and Olivia’s affair, she facilitated it. Now she’s trying to change the rules in the middle of the game because she’s losing the game. She never expected Fitz to fall in love with Olivia. That’s the part that hurts.

• MK says:

I totally agree that the mole is the Vice President!!!

• david says:

Its gonna be Millie and its going to discredit everything she said about the president. If ih ad to guess i would say the next thing to break Olivia and Fitz up will be when she learns he murdered the old woman in the hospital

• Jane says:

I agree. Mellie has some kind of end game going on that we are not aware of. She’s manipulative and she doesn’t want Fitz because she loves him, she wants him because he’s president.

• Cheyenne says:

I wonder, though, how is she going to learn that? The only two people who know are Fitz and Cyrus. Do you think either of them will tell her? I don’t see it.

• slm says:

lackluster??? Are you kidding….the audience was grabbed at 10:01 pm and hasn’t stopped. Come on!!!!

7. Ashley says:

What a fabulous episode on SO many levels.
    1) How is it that EVERYONE at OPA knew about Olivia and Fitz?
    2) To me Cyrus being the mole was an obvious red herring but great was Jeff Beane in the entire episode? At times it appeared that he was the only one who truly understood the ramifications of Mellie going on television to announce that Fitz was a cheater which brings me to
    3) Mellie…I did feel kind of sorry for her when the clock ran out and she realized that Fitz was going to come to save their marriage but than she went on television to announce that Fitz was unfaithful. Don’t get me wrong, I understand as the wife how she was hurt but as the politician want to be….she should understand that she might have ruined two careers by being emotional. Is someone anyone at all who let her personal emotions get in the way of running the country. Cause now Mellie, the press is talking about your marriage and not what is going on in the country. As usual….Mellie is Mellie’s worst enemy.
    4) How bold is Charlie to sit in Jake’s house…watch his movie…and drink soda straight out of the bottle.
    5) So Jake’s boss (sorry Jake…your much too late in trying to be Olivia’s soul mate) doesn’t know that Charlie is on Cyrus’s payroll? So that makes me think…Charlie must be dead like Huck (in regards to the Secret Ops). Wait til that gets out!
    6) Olitz….a perfect ending for a great episode.

• Agreed, Agreed and Agreed

• Jon says:

Everyone at OPA found out about Olivia and Fitz at the end of the Defiance arc when they were trying to figure out why Olivia was acting strange after Fitz woke up. I assume that any assumptions they were shown to have come up with at that time were verified by Olivia during the 10-month jump.

• GTS says:

I don’t think so. Maybe they just assumed so, but just last episode Harrison kind of realized it. When Olivia was giving Abby advice about her missing David, Abby asked if that worked for her, and it didn’t really seem like she knew.

• Barbara says:

You hit the nail on the head in every point. This was an exceptional episode! My heart is still pounding!!! It was a L.O.L. moment when it seemed that everyone at OPA Knew about Fitz and Liv! This is truly the best show on TV. The writing is off the chain!

• GTS says:

If you really know Olivia, and spend that much time with her, and know how much time she spent with the president when she worked for the White House, you could see that she might have a *special* relationship with the president.

• KD says:

My thoughts exactly. I thought only Huck and now Harrison knew. I was surprised that Abby and Quinn (especially Quinn) acted awkward too.

Love Charlie… He sat in Jake’s house, drinking Jake’s soda and watching Jake’s home movies. Probably realizing that if Jake taped that incident, the house was still being taped. And he didn’t care.

I like Jake, but now that Olivia is back with Fitz, the writing is on the wall. Hopefully, they write him out in a way that he can come back, and they don’t kill him.

• GTS says:

You know, maybe it’s because Fitz is a close friend of Olivia’s so they didn’t want anyone to talk bad about him….? That doesn’t really make sense though.

• Lulu says:

I don’t think Fitz really wants the presidency now that he knows that he did not earn it.

• Kort says:

And who is whining that this is all about Olivia and Fitz’s scandalous affair? It is much more than that as stated in some of these posts. If you whiners can write the twists and turns better than Ms. Rhimes, have at it. I will certainly watch your more successful show.

• ok says:

Agreed.

8. Monday Girl says:

The mole is someone who wants to know more about Defiance, right? Which is why he or she wants the grand jury transcripts? For me, all signs point to David Rosen. And like Harrison said in the bookstore with Abby, there are way too many people in that office. Rosen has basically gotten an in on all OPA activities, what they do, the lengths they can and will go to–he could use this information against them, especially in light of the fact that Olivia has humiliated him more than once. To me, all signs point to David Rosen. Or maybe Fitz’s secretary. I don’t know anything anymore, really. This show is bananas.

• Cheyenne says:

Oh wow, Fitz’s secretary… now there’s an idea. David isn’t close enough to the president, but secretaries know everything about their bosses. Omigod, you got my head spinning…

• Muse says:

I don’t think it’s likely to be David, because he didn’t know the woman who broke into his apartment. (Wasn’t that intruder Molly from “Molly, You in Danger Girl” who ID’ed the framed CIA director?) I’d be kinda disappointed if it turned out to be VP Sally Langston, although that would make sense. Another possibility could be that smarmy governor who lost to Fitz by 1,259 votes or whatever that number was. In fact, that makes the MOST sense to me.

• Monday Girl says:

I just have this feeling that Rosen has been stringing them along this whole time, you know? Anyway, at this point, it could be anyone. It could Olivia, for all we know. Ha!

• Cheyenne says:

They said at one point the only people who would have access to the kind of info the mole is looking for are POTUS, the VP, the Secretary of Defense and the Chief of Staff (Cyrus). We know it isn’t Cyrus because the last thing he wants is for the info on Defiance to get out. He was ready to have James killed when he thought James was going to spill the beans, remember?

How come we never see the Sec. of Defense? I don’t even know who he is. Hmmm….

• M says:

I don’t think so. David was the prosecuting US attorney who questioned the grand jury witnesses, including James, Cyrus’s husband, who perjured himself. It would have to be someone who had a hint about Defiance but no source. The grand jury testimony won’t lead to Olivia, Cyrus or Mellie. Who else would Verna tell other than Fitz and David? Fitz made sure she couldn’t tell David. She was making deals with the VP for keeping her cancer a secret so that she could stay on the SCOTUS. That’s when she accused Huck of attempting to assassinate the President. We can only assume that Billy the VP’s chief of staff “killed himself” with Charlie’s help. Edison maybe? He certainly has a bone to pick with Fitz and Olivia. He’s chair of the Senate intelligence committee, he was keyed into their relationship, he was jilted by Olivia and Fitz initiated an investigation into him out of jealousy. He could have connections in the CIA to do his dirty work. Which person is his mole? Jake? I have no idea! This is a great show! And, I adore Olitz but understand and accept that it is an impossible relationship.

• M says:

Or, it could be Hal! His loyalty certainly isn’t with Fitz and he just made an appearance after a long absence! Who knows?!

• JaneFr says:

I tend to think like you. Plus, being a part of his security detail one could say that he ‘hangs’ out with the president.

9. Patricia says:

so… the mole’s the Vice-President, right??

10. I will not watch it live next week! Can’t sit thru those commercials! I will have to DVR it, so no holding my breath while waiting! Crazy love this show!!

• dsm says:

That’s funny because I’ve just caught up with Season 1 and Season 2 so I could watch the last few episodes live, however, it is a completely different exprience watching it live with commercials – it took me out of the show altogether! Still love this crazy ride BUT I will have to rewatch the last few episodes on DVR or online wihtout the annoyance of the advertisements! Live TV is so difficult to sit through these days!

11. Emily says:

Could the mole be James? He was sending out some pretty weird vibes tonight.

• Cheyenne says:

Oh God, I hope not. That would absolutely destroy Cyrus. And he would absolutely kill James or have him killed, husband or no husband.

• Amy says:

This is what I think. I’m all in on James.

• Suz says:

Not James, Mellie or David. James and Cy were not talking for weeks so no way he knows inside WH info. Mellie so focused on Olivia she has lost aight of everything else. David doesn’t have access or money to pay for access. Has to be a secretary or Secret Service agent who is passing info to VP or Senetor.

12. Cheyenne says:

I just remembered… I don’t think it’s James. It’s somebody who wants the goods on Defiance. James already knows about Defiance. He could have spilled the beans at the grand jury hearing but he didn’t. David is looking like a likely possibility, along with the VP. And then there’s Hal, who is very close to the president although he seems to be very loyal to Mellie but he could be running a double game on both of them.

I give up. My head is spinning.

13. ski_diva says:

The mole is James!!!!! James, Charlie’s “girfriend ,” and David were the only people in the grand jury room during the dearing for Defiance. I can’t see David betraying Liv like that but she did ruin his career. But Charlie needed the information from the hearing for someone who wasn’t there so maybe it’s not James. I’m so confused……..this was a great episode but we know that the Olitz High that we are currently on will not last. Shonda doesn’t write that way. So lets enjoy this episode for the masterpiece it was and get ready to have ou hearts shredded next week. lol

P.S. Could the mole be Fitz??????

• Alichat says:

And the grand jury. James, the court stenographer, David Rosen, and the grand jury were in the hearing about Defiance. And you’ve pointed out a continuity issue I ignored, which is that the stenographer should have recognized David immediately. It was odd that they didn’t recognize each other immediately.

• the girl says:

Why would David recognize a court stenographer? It’s not like she was the judge or something, her position isn’t that prominent. And this is like a year later.

• Alichat says:

Because it’s the case that ruined his career. I’d remember everyone in that room. Because he had been a Federal prosecutor for awhile, and you get to know the judges, bailiffs, and stenographers in the courthouse. Because in doing their research on the women of the book club, the OPA team would have looked to see what she does for a living, in trying to determine why Charlie is interested in her. They would have seen she was a court stenographer, and hit on what cases she worked. Rosen should have at least recognized her name or face before meeting her. And she most definitely should have known who he is before the second meeting.

• Anna says:

Hmm, trust me lawyers don’t necessarily know or pay attention to court stenographers. Not only they work on different files but court stenographers are most of a time a dot in the decorum of a courtroom, you don’t care about them since your focus is the judge and/or the jury.

14. Nicole says:

I think the mole is Sally. It would be more of a shock if Billy Chambers was still alive somehow and he was paying Charlie. It was not actually confirmed that Charlie killed Billy all we saw was Charlie getting in the elevator with Billy. Cyrus already knew about Defiance if that is really what the mole is after. It would be Sally or Billy who were bitter about it. It seems s a little out of the blue for Governor Reston who Fitz ran against in the lection wanted to figure out the truth about defiance.
    Someone on twitter said that shouldn’t they got Cyrus a scooter or a golf cart so he didn’t have to run in the tunnels between the white house and Blair house which I thought was funny.
    I think Mellie asked for James to be the person to interview her instead of the woman who was supposed to interview her. As it was a way to not only stick it to Fitz but to also stab Cyrus in the back. I thought it was funny that David was oblivious to the Fitz and Olivia when he asked who is he banging and the rest of OPA were all like looking down and all left the office. If I was David I would be curious as to why all of them needed to suddenly leave.

15. Donna says:

Who is Hal? And no can’t be David. Dav

16. Cheyenne says:

I’m starting to think Fitz is tired of being president. So far, Mellie hasn’t named any names. But what if it gets out that Olivia is the other woman? Remember, this is a republican president. Republicans have some very negative ideas about black people in general. Can you imagine how his right-wing, whitebread republican constituency is going to react when they find out he cheated on his nice upper-class white wife with a black woman? He won’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of being re-elected. But maybe deep down that’s what he wants. I dunno.

• Russ says:

Pretty sure he wouldn’t have a chance of re-election if he was cheating with a white girl too.

• Joe says:

I thought no saying Olivia’s name was a good move. It means that as long as fitz stop seing her, they can save her anonymas. Plus, he still has à chance to play it sorry, publicly work at his marriage and get back his political credits. Under public scrutiny, Olitz would be hard to be.

Loved, loved the akward OPA. I didnt think they knew knew. But then, if the president is banging someone, who else could it be? At the very least, it must be an of course moment for them.

• Grrrrp says:

I’m more worried about what it would do to Liv. That would be horrible for her reputation. Everyone would hate her

• Suz says:

Preview for 21 shows that OP is about to be name as the other woman.

• Derek says:

Utterly ignorant and bias statement the OP made.

• the girl says:

Unfortunately I don’t think it is. There are a lot of people who still harbor racist inclinations and still even more people who don’t approve of interracial relationships. Perhaps it is inappropriate to say this is a “Republican” thing, but as they are the party of the Deep South, including those areas that still fly Confederate flags and the like, I suspect it isn’t far off from the truth. I wouldn’t want to visit Mississippi if I were Olivia Pope, that’s all I’m saying.

• CS says:

You’re ignorant. There are many prominent and powerful African American politicians in the south. The majors of the capitals in at least Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina are black not to mention the south is home to a ton of black entertainers. If the south was so racist that wouldn’t be the case.

• Jessica P. says:

Just FYI? Democrats and liberals are just as capable of being racist as their Republican/conservative counterparts; neither party has a monopoly on that, and it’s actually damaging and dangerous to perpetuate the idea that it’s only Republicans who have negative ideas about black people (anyone who doubts this, please, I invite you to look at the way Dan Savage acted towards the black community in the wake of the passage of Proposition 8, just as one fairly prominent example of someone with liberal ideology still capable of being a big ol’ racist). Having said that, I nevertheless agree with you that Fitz might be deliberately engaging in what could be political self-sabotage (because the CHEATING is actually the big, BIG deal for a lot people, regardless of the race of the person with whom he’s cheating). The EW article on the show said that he was going to do something in the finale that would have repercussions for every single character on the show, and I’m starting to wonder if he’s going to announce his resignation. THAT would throw a curveball at a lot of folks, including Cyrus & Mellie.

• Kari says:

Dan Savage was not showing prejudice against black people, he was showing it to all the people who believe in Jesus Christ in that community as a way to not be equal to everybody. They happen to be black

17. Donna says:

Can’t be David because he wouldn’t have info on agents who were hostages. Plus mole framed him for murder. Vp is good theory. I just hope jakes a good guy because I really kinda wish Olivia would choose him instead of fitz. And what will fitz do when he sees the tapes of his BFF and Olivia?

• Suz says:

Question is, does Jake know Charlie? I couldn’t tell based on Jake’s reaction to seeing Charlie in his house. Charlie was excited to see Jake and OP hook up. Are they both working for the same person (unnamed black guy)? And is that unnamed black guy working for the VP or a Senator? Liv’s ex is on a super secret committee!

• Lash says:

I don’t think Jake knows Charlie personally but his boss knows Charlie. we saw that in last week “huck episode flashback where Charlie told Jake’s present Boss (joe morton’s charachter) that Huck was dead.

18. kew1224 says:

this show tonight kept me on the edge of my seat. it was so good ,i couldn’t move out of my seat until the comercials came on. Cyrus is crazy to trust Charlie,and Liv thibks Cyrus is her friend. i am glad Jake didn’t leave Liv,because Cyrus is actually trying to have Liv killed.he is a dog,i knew when he started to have James killed he was no good. people forget that Mellie had an affair at the time when Fitz was the govenor.CYRUS Told FITZ,AND Harrison shut it down. Fitz ‘s daddy brought Mellie for Fitz,because he never apelong togetherproved of anything Fitz did. i love Fitz and Liv together,they rock. they belong together. everybody who plays in this show is superbad. i wll hate to see the season end,but i will be right here waiting for the next season. GO SHONDA, You are the best writer on tv to me.

• Alichat says:

I don’t think Cyrus was going to kill Olivia. I think we were meant to think that. But Cyrus doesn’t do his dirty work. He gets Charlie to do it. He would only need to get Jake out of the way for Charlie to get into Liv’s apartment. The fact that he showed up instead tells me that he was going to convince Liv that she needs to convince Fitz to give Mellie what she wants and placate her. At the worst, he may have been willing to make a threat….but he wouldn’t kill her himself.

• kevin says:

agreed

• Cheyenne says:

But what if he told Olivia to reason with Fitz and she refused? What if she washed her hands of the whole problem and told Cyrus, you deal with it, I’m not getting mixed up in it? At the point when Cyrus went to see Olivia he was pretty desperate. All the lines has already been drawn. So what was he planning to do? I don’t think he would make an empty threat. He would have to be ready to back it up. But how?

The bottom line is Cyrus has gone bananas at having lost control of the situation. I think he’s become quite dangerous at this point and is capable of doing some really crazy things.

• Alichat says:

I see your point, but I still don’t think Cyrus would kill her. He’d not lost all his options by that point. He’d ask Olivia, plead with her, make threats, and if that didn’t work, he’d leave. Then he’d maybe call Charlie in as a last resort.

19. chris says:

Loved it. Great episode, the ticking clocks for drama. Mellie’s pouty face, sorry sweetie. Should have taken Cy’s deal. Above all Olivia and Fitz were explosive and the end was perfect.

Not sure how the writers get out of this one but that’s the hook. Tune in next week.

20. kristin says:

The mole is Fitz! I mean, it seems to me he doesn’t really want to be president anymore. If word gets out about Definance, that would take care of that problem. Seeing as he killed Verna, I really wouldnt put anything passed him at this point. Plus, I dont think anyone knows yet that he’s the one that killed Verna do they? If you noticed too, in the preview’s for next week, Huck told Olivia over the phone that he knew who the mole was. She had a horrific look on her face and almost dropped the phone. I dont see her having that kind of reaction about anyone else being the mole but Fitz.

• Christie says:

If word gets out about defiance they’re all going to jail. Mellie, Cyrus, Olivia. These are all people that he cares about. He’s not looking to have them all be caught for rigging a presidential election.
      My money is on Mellie or Sally. Mellie had to back track on this affair thing. She’s got to go on national television and say that things have been hard since fitz was shot and she THOUGHT he was having an affair. In order for this to happen, they have to have something really big on Mellie to get her to agree to this.
      This show is nuts! I never know what the heck is going on

• kristin says:

Maybe Fitz does want all of them to go to jail. After he initally found out, he was very upset with Cyrus, millie and Olivia, and stated at one point he wanted them to “pay” for betraying him.(or something to that effect) Or, maybe he just wanted the Definance information to learn more about what went on and exactly what happened, not nessisarily to take it public. It definitely would be something he could use as leverage with Mellie. Im sure someone could manipulate the evidence to make it look like Mellie was the ringleader.

• Jessica P. says:

By why wouldn’t Fitz used the Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) tactic with Mellie (“You go public about me and Olivia, I go public about Defiance”) BEFORE she went on national TV? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he thought she was bluffing but if he wanted to ensure she just backed down completely and let him do whatever he wanted, then he would’ve pulled the pin on the MAD grenade sooner. Doing it now, after Mellie’s gone on TV and made this big statement that will necessarily undercut him and change perceptions of him in ways that almost can’t be undone – because even if Mellie tried to walk it back later, lots of people will assume she was forced to do so and they’ll still think of Fitz as a bad man who stepped out on his pregnant and that kind of perception MATTERS in politics (just ask John Edwards) – is a bit like shutting the barn door after the horse has wandered two counties over. MAD only works as a preemptive measure; now that Mellie’s talked, Fitz has lost his chance, IMO.

• ellen8 says:

Fitz told Cyrus that he killed Verna. So Cyrus has that info – if he were the mole that would be all he needs to ruin Fitz.

Sally as the mole is boring – I would see that as a writer’s copout since she has been absent most of the season. The mole should be someone we see frequently – like Mellie.

David is too naive to be the mole and James is too domestic to be involved in something so complicated. LOL at it being Fitz’s secretary but it could be !!! She is definitely in the chair to do harm !!

• Moe says:

I love Mellie so much it would hurt me desperately to have her be the mole, BUT, it could be the only thing that saves Fitz’s re-election.

• Dixie says:

I’d like to ask a question without all of my fellow Scandal fans jumping down my throat. I realize she may be going about it the wrong way, but does anyone else think that Mellie is not entirely wrong in her feelings? Fitz is her husband. He is the President. And he is committing adultery. Any thoughts?

• Alichat says:

In some respects, yes I feel sympathy for her. But, and this is not justifying the affair, she knew it was happening, and she was ok with it as long as the charade of the marriage was still in existence. It wasn’t until she and Fitz had that conversation about the true story of how they met and how it was a set-up by his dad that I got the feeling that Mellie, in her own way, loves Fitz. But I don’t think she’s in love with him. If Mellie’s real end game is to get him back, then why trash his career which is the big piece of tape that’s keeping the marriage together? Why damage his already tenuous relationship with his two oldest kids? Why ruin his career, which by extension is her career? As painful as it may be for her, as his wife, there is a point where you have to give up the ghost. It’s obvious she won’t get him back in any traditional way as it was before he became president. But whatever sympathy I had for her disappeared when she did the television interview. It would have been smarter for her to take Cy’s deal.

• Dixie says:

I understand what your’re saying. Mellie went from “wronged wife” to “vengeful witch” once the interview began. Truthfully, I don’t see how that interview will help her, but I guess you’re not really thinking clearly when you’re that angry and bent on revenge.

• the girl says:

I felt bad for Mellie in that moment when she realize he really wasn’t coming back. I think she thought he would come in and stop her and he didn’t. She was truly taken aback. She never thought he would call her bluff and let her do the interview. I think she really felt hurt, like… well DAMN. I don’t even think it’s because she loves Fitz, more than anything she loved the potential that was open to them as a powerful couple, she loved the SYMBOL of them, and he took all that away. I really do think that she thinks she is opening opportunities for herself by being the tattle-tell and playing the scorned wife.

• grandee says:

Mellie is right in her requests and they would b good if for reasons given. But they are not. The reasons are her desires to be FLOTUS.

• Kathy says:

Mellie need to go ahead and file for her divorce, she knows that Fitz do not love her and really never did!

• I think when Huck tell’s Olivia who the mole is she drops the phone because it is someone sitting or standing in the next room to her. His name is David Rosen.

• H-Bomb says:

THIS!

• ok says:

Of course the mole isn’t Fitz! We’ve seen him LOOKING for the mole.

21. tee says:

Whenever Cyrus gets mad & starts jumping up and down screaming it’s VERY cartoonish & hilarious.

On another note HOT DAMN! I can see it now. the season two finale is gonna kill us. Move over Grey’s Anatomy…make room for shonda’s NEW HIT.

22. Kew1224 says:

Why is Hal reporting to mellie telling her what Fitzgerald is doing? She is not the president,he works for the president I wonder does he have hot pants for mellie.

23. Jessica says:

I really hate how Olivia is around Fitz. I dislike the relationship so much. She is such a strong woman all the time and then she gets around this guy who treats her like dirt and she becomes someone entirely different and it irritates me to no end. I know I am in the minority but I actually want Olivia with someone else. I think her and Jake have chemistry and I like who she is around him!

• mobile50 says:

Hi Jessica, I totally agree with your assessment of Fitz and Olivia’s relationship. it seems extremely dysfunctional and doesn’t seem like the relationship will ever work. Olivia seems like a troubled woman – can’t be interested in available men, allows herself to be ‘summons” by Fitz. I hate their relationship.

• Sheila B says:

Are you watching the same show we are watching. Did you see the previous episode and tonight’s episode? You must really hate Fitz; because if you do you seem to be letting it cloud your judgement and you just missed out on some beautiful scenes tonight. Give it up girl; it not happening for Olivia and Jake. And even if it does, it will only be for a short time. Enjoy the show girl. Olitz live.

• Jessica P. says:

Can you not do the “we” thing? It’s clear from the OP’s comment as well as some of the other replies not only on this post, but other Scandal posts on this site, that – hard as this may be for some folks to believe – NOT EVERYONE IS INTO THE OLIVIA/FITZ. Not everyone is watching the show for that. The people who aren’t into Olitz might be in the minority among Scandal fans, but they DO exist. Acting as though they don’t by trying to frame your comments as though everyone else agrees that Olitz is the BEST!THING!EVER! is unnecessarily dismissive.

• nelly says:

I agreed..I love olivia n fitz together but I don’t mine the spice with her n jake even for a lil while n I love to c the face of fitz when he find out abt dem two sexin…damn swt drama

• Anna says:

Preach Jessica, even though Jake won’t survive S2! Olitz is so toxic and dysfunctional on so many levels, so is Jake and Olivia but at least, he’s a single murderer:) Olitz just reminds me of those Harlequin novels I used to read in high school. Now, at 35, I know that what people calls passion is just drama. Olitz’s just drama, yet, a lot of people dream about this type of “love”.

• joy says:

Fitz murdered Verna & Jake murdered Osbourne. Why can’t anyone remember that part? Yes he is single but he is spying on Olivia. He is a SPY people and not for Fitz but for the B613 boss.

• kew1224 says:

Verna tried to have Fitz assassinated two times.Becky was getting ready to shoot Fitz again in the hospital,but Huck stopped her. I just don’t have any bad feelings that Fitz snuffed out the little time she had left. She was the cause of Brenda Kagen getting killed,and a secret service guy was shot by her hired killer.

• MM says:

I agree about Olivia and Fitz. That relationship is completely toxic and brings out the absolute worst in both characters. That being said, the show has yet to give Liv a love interest who would actually be good for her. Jake has been lying to her and manipulating her from the start and that Edison dude didn’t really know Liv at all so when he claimed to love her, he only really loved his idea of her.

Unfortunately, Shonda has made it clear that Olivia/Fitz is the end-game couple here so even if they were to introduce a decent guy for Liv (one who accepts her for who she really is and isn’t using her) it would never work out. It’s a shame because Olivia’s love life is pretty much the only thing about this show that doesn’t work for me.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Agreed. Fitz is abusive and a drunk and weak. Olivia is strong (except for when it comes to him) and could do much, much better. Odd thing to say when you’re talking about better than “the most powerful man in the free world.”

Tony Goldwyn and Kerry Washington do have great chemistry… but his character just disgusts me now.

• Dixie says:

You nailed it! So much of what we all love about shows like this is the chemistry between the actors. Tony Goldwyn and Kerry Washington are like magic together. Aside from the storyline (Bravo Shonda!), I’d pay good money just to watch those two interact in the same room. Bellamy Young (Mellie) is also beyond fabulous on this show – but she is a disaster in her guest role on Criminal Minds (another one of my favorites). Whoever did the casting on Scandal really knows their business.

• Moe says:

I REALLY like her with Jake too, but I think Kerry Washington’s chemistry with Tony Goldwyn, makes it difficult to not examine fully the President’s relationship with Pope. My thinking is that, okay… this can’t last. I just don’t see how they could have an open relationship post-Mellie’s revelation. I’m hoping Jake stays in the picture.

• Grrrrp says:

Yes. The way he talks to her is disgusting ordering her around saying “You don’t leave me” “I demand another chance” “You’re going to be with me” “Hang up the phone” “Sit down” really who wants to be talked to like that? And once again they’ll just end when he finds out she slept with Jake and kissed him right before she got into bed with Fitz and when she finds out he killed Verna. She could find a better guy to love her.

• Moe says:

The thing is, he learned that is the only way Olivia listens. He has learned how to get her attention. Olivia can be terse with her, “What.” phone greetings and dismissal of her OPA associates needs (she does so not to be rude, but because she is often tied up with sensitive matters and knows they are capable), Fitz’s tone and recent language with her works for them during this tumultuous time in their relationship, and he does so not because he is being controlling, but because he has learned how to save Olivia from herself. I don’t think it will be there norm, but I just don’t see how they are going to make the relationship work at all, so I’m all for Jake coming between them.

• Alichat says:

I agree with you on why he spoke to her in that manner. And I don’t think we can look at how the two of them spoke with each other or dealt with each other over the last 9 to 10 episodes as how their relationship is. Based upon flashbacks, last season, and the first half of this season, it’s obvious that they had a very good, honest (except for Defiance of course,) intimate relationship. Olivia understood him, she could lay out things to him in an honest and blunt way and he’d listen, and vice versa. If you looked at their relationship separately….he’s not married, he’s not president, she’s not a DC fixer, etc….it was a healthy relationship. But, they do have all of those obstacles….he’s married, president, etc…..and that’s why it’s an unhealthy relationship, or perhaps why it’s one that won’t work.

• ok says:

Olivia answers her phone by yelling ‘what?’
            They’re both rude people, why is it you can only see it in Fitz?
            Their relationship worked for a long time in the pat and if they want it too it will again.
            But even if you don’t root for Fitz, how can you root for Jake?
            Jake spied on her, lied to her, broke into her apartment, tricked her into bed using knowledge he got watching her when vulnerable, made a sex tape and is now WATCHING IT?
            THAT’S healthy?
            I read these comments and I wonder WHAT IS GOING ON?

*their

• the girl says:

I want to be talked to that way. For my man, who I love, to take command of a situation and be assertive like that, oh yes please daddy. When Fitz said “watch me EARN you” me and Olivia both went swoon.

• ok says:

Fitz treats her like dirt?
      He may have just given up the PRESIDENCY for her!!
      I’m sorry but that dog won’t hunt.
      You like Jake, the guy who finished up the episode watching the sex tape he made of her without her consent???
      Really?
      Wow.

• Anna says:

I agree! I like the Olivia/Jake dynamic. It feels fresher (not so much baggage, spouses, and melodrama as with Fitz), more equal, and I genuinely like watching them talk to each other. They have a really intelligent and playful dynamic. I’d enjoy seeing more scenes of them playing the ‘I tell you something, you tell me something’ game. I think Jake has been shady as all get out with the spying & mysterious bosses, however, he genuinely seems to care about Olivia’s mental well being whereas Fitz just seems to steamroll her with his declarations & secret service team removing everyone around every time he wants to see her. I appreciated that moment at the White House after the Fitz/Oliva fight when Jake was asking her to tell him what’s wrong and she asked him to please just give her a minute alone, that she really needed it, and he said OK and backed off so she could sit by herself. He was genuinely concerned but also respected her request. It was small, but seemed in stark contrast to the interaction she’d just had with Fitz.
      Hope they don’t kill him!

24. Louise says:

OMG OMG OMG jumping for joy, i loved this episode, Fitz finally proved to Liv how much se means to him :) and Liv finally!! understood :) but vast this is shondaland and we all know that something going to go down…… also didnt tony goldwyn do so good directing :)

25. Yvonne says:

hmmmm… so, has Fitz put all this in motion to prove he is capable of winning an election in the arduous of circumstances?

26. sladewilson says:

If the mole wants the scandal of Defiance out in the open, then we already know who the mole isn’t: Cyrus, Olivia, Mellie, and Hollis. They have the most to lose (their freedom). James knows about Defiance but he’ll lose Cy and we all saw he doesn’t want that. As for Fitz – he said – he wanted Olivia more than he wanted to be President. He got his wish because there is NO WAY he gets re-elected now. All out war is the only thing that MIGHT help him and I’m talking World War III. And if Mellie outs Olivia as the “mistress”, her days as a fixer are done because her anonymity would be destroyed because she would be too well known, not just known in certain circles. It would definitely hinder OPA’s ability to move undetected as they do now. Oh yeah – this show just got ALOT more interesting and that’s saying something since it’s already one of the top 5 best shows on TV.

27. Chloe says:

This episode was amazing, it’s one of my favourites. While I’m happy for the Olitz moment, I don’t think it will last as Fitz will be hurt when he finds out Olivia & Jake slept together and Olivia would be shocked that Fitz killed Verna. I didn’t feel sorry for Mellie because she’s known for a long time that Fitz isn’t in love with her and that’s mainly her fault. Trying to force him to commit to her was pointless as he’ll never actually love her. It probably hurt her a LOT to know that Fitz loves Olivia more than the presidency though, don’t think she expected that at all. I don’t think the mole is Cyrus or Mellie can’t wait to find out who it is

28. Kaliera says:

I would LOVE a show where the first lady reveals her husband is having an affair and the country goes batsh*t insane like they did with Bill/Monica. Inquests! Hearings! Impeachments! Right wing crazies spouting conspiracy theories about Oliva being a democratic plot to bring down the president! Online Yahoo commenters calling her Holivia, and spouting all the horrible racist, stuff Michelle Obama gets called just for being black!

But this is Shonda Rhimes, so we get version 2.0 of “Pick Me. Choose Me. Love Me” and everyone squees over the President being “brave” enough to go after true love, instead of pointing out that he still let Mellie blow it up for him. If he had any guts, he would have had a pre-emptive press conference – announced he was divorcing his wife – damn the consequences and THEN gone to screw Olivia again free and clear.

I have no doubt Fitz and Olivia WILL end up together. Because Shonda has always gone for the completely boring and predictable “true love conquers all” relationship. Always. It’s why Meredith and Derek have always been the most boring part of Grey’s Anatomy. Oh, look, Olivia told the President to stay away from her again. That should last about about as long as a Lindsey Lohan rehab stay.

Scandal is about 80% awesome. But it would be 100% awesome if the cheaters got what was really coming to them instead of the lame fairy tale.

• Hali says:

But that’s why Scandal is awesome, because it imitates life. Cheaters never really get ‘what’s really coming to them’ – that’s the fairytale, because in fairytales the good guy always wins. Not in this life, and we all know it.

• ok says:

It’s only in fairytales that the cheater is always the bad guy.
        I’ve never cheated but I know PLENTY of good people who have and if you’re honest so do all of you.
        Unless you’re 12 years old.

• the girl says:

Who says he won’t get what’s coming to him? Next season can be all about impeachment hearings and the like. We have time to get to that. Especially since Fitz has to answer for having Jake Ballard follow Olivia around. I would like to believe that Shonda really will capture that craziness now that the affair has been made public. I am going to have faith in her and expect that next season will be about the repercussions of Fitz’s actions on his presidency and his divorce proceedings from Mellie.

29. ellen8 says:

Yes Fitz should have gotten ahead of Mellie and made the divorce announcement himself. The affair would have been easier to buffer if he had done that. As for the mole, I have eliminated most of the major players, especially those involved in Defiance, but Jake is still a mystery to me. GIven the competitive nature of those who rise to high rankings in the military, I would think that he feels jealous of Fitz’s achievements, and he is obviously having feelings for Olivia. Jake’s scenes are confusing, it is difficult to tell what he is really thinking. I would love to hear the conversations he has with himself !!! Could Jake be the mole?

• Sandy says:

Jake gave Fitzgerald the intel to solve hostage crisis. He also copied the hard drive. If he was the mole, he wdnt need to do that.

30. liz says:

Amazon episode. I think the mole is Mellie. She wants the info on defiance to blackmail fitz. Just a thought….

31. Sandy says:

Mole can’t be David, he is not capable of hurting so many people, nor would he do so many illegal things. It’s not Cy. Too boring, same argument w Sally. Mole will shock us! Who will shock us? Hollis? Hollis knows about defiance, but he doesn’t know what happened in the grand jury room. They need money, topay for Charlie’s services. Can’t be Fitzgerald either. He killed Verna to preventDefiance from gng public. Think shocking! Hal? Hmmm, he’s close to prez, but usually outside the room. Who has access to that info?

32. Grrrrp says:

Fitz annoys me so much! And I don’t know why Olivia thinks she’ll be treated differently I mean doesn’t she see the way Fitz treats Mellie? What makes her any different? Yes he loves her but what happens when she finds out about Verna? And when Mellie drops her name to the public? Olivia will be completely ruined and have no clients, no job, be labeled as a whore, basically be destroyed all just to be with Fitz? I don’t think so. He is not worth it.

33. Grrrrp says:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Mellie is not playing any games this time.

34. Mariah says:

I think Fitz will give Olivia up temporarily to prevent mellie from revealing her name. He’ll make that sacrifice to keep her name secret

35. Lilly B says:

They need to stop these ‘professions of love’ by Fitz for Liv. It is so terribly painful to listen to and detracts from the show. I don’t why they feel like he must make these speeches in order to portray his feelings. The writers must be drinking heavily when creating these scenes.

• OltizFF says:

I agree, with you….He tells her he loves her every chance he gets and she RARELY utters the words, I dont like that…

I dont think Mellie has a leg to stand on to air anyone’s dirty laundry as much dirt as she has done, but I get it and I agree that Fitz wont allow Liv’s name to be dragged through the mud, he this time will make the sacrifice to end things for her protection

• Chester says:

Yes, the show needs to move beyond Mer Der in the White House.

• Moe says:

He has to make all of the declarations because Liv cannot and is always hanging on by a thread. Liv has no security in their relationship (or control) therefore it is difficult for her to commit emotionally to him in such a way, where Fitz’s professions of love are security blankets. The only thing Liv can control is her expression of love.

36. Suz says:

Edison – Liv’s ex, is the mole.
    1. He’s upset as to why she wouldn’t marry him and who the other guy is that she cannot tear away from.
    2. He is head of a secret/security committee and a secretary or secret service agent would easily give him information without realizing what s/he was passing on.
    3. He would know about Huck/Charlie’s unit that kidnap/torture/kill US citizens.
    4. He would have access to Jake via the unnamed black guy.
    5. He would gain politically with Fitz discredited.

• Moe says:

That was my thought a couple of weeks ago, but I thought it would be near deus ex machina to have Edison suddenly show up out of nowhere after all of these weeks. The same would be true of the Vice President.

• Sam says:

I think that Edison is a perfect choice for the mole and hearing his name from Huck would cause Olivia to drop the phone.

37. This episode was so heartbreaking. Although I think Mellie is a witch, she should be with someone. I like olivia with fitz, but I also like olivia with jake. Maybe she can be with both of them. Just saying. Olivia should be with jake he is the single one. I hope they don’t kill off jake and hope he is a bad guy that turns good. They should make a spinoff about jake. I would watch.

38. You all are wrong. I AM THE MOLE. i also killed Jimmy Hoffa, i was on the grassy knoll (i was 2 at the time) and i framed Roger Rabbit.

i liked the show better when she was a “fixer” not needing to be fixed.

39. the girl says:

I really hope Shonda calls Ausiello and offers some commentary on this episode and the next two! I am in the need for some scoop!!

40. Tony says:

Mellie, to me, is the most compelling character on this show. And probably the most sympathetic and likeable. I know Liv is supposed to be the character the audience gravitates toward and no doubt KW is doing a fabulous job. Bellamy Young, IMO, is just playing probably one of the most delicious roles anyone could ever play.

And am I the only one who thinks Fitz and his lack of common sense and intelligence really sort of gives credibility to why the Defiance 5 did what they did? I mean, this guy seems to constantly challenge his wife’s loyalty and intelligence and he doesn’t seem to register that she just might do something about it. Maybe its arrogance. I just find him to be not that bright of a light bulb

• Cheyenne says:

Are we watching the same show? Mellie is a vindictive bitch. She is completely soulless. She doesn’t give a damn about anyone but herself. Her children are nothing but trophies as far as she is concerned. She put her baby’s life at risk by inducing labor three weeks early because she was afraid Fitz was about to run out on her. Her heart isn’t broken, her pride is hurt. That’s all she’s able to feel. I have to admit Bellamy Young gives an insanely good performance as this revolting character, but as for the character herself, I hope she suffers all the way down.

• Moe says:

Mellie is an awesome character and Bellamy Young brings it every scene, and I think I understand your seeing her as most compelling partially because she is kind of like the underdog at this point. I love Olivia, but Olivia, though she says she is alone, seems to have a lot of people supporting her. Mellie is truly alone and fighting for her life, BUT it is a manipulated life. A fabricated life. A life unto which she submitted; a life that grew on her, somewhat, but a life where she gave up her professional aspirations for what seemed to be a fast track to near royalty if she hitched her wagon to the right rocket. Fitz, submitted to this life as well, until he realized that wasn’t all there was. They didn’t have a conventional marriage… they had a contract, and he broke it. She is fighting for every lost promising career path, every ambition she put aside for the ambitions of her husband, every moment she felt close to Fitz since even arranged marriages can find love. Mellie loves and loved Fitz, but I think she grew into it. She got comfortable in her role and his role of major players in the game of life, and didn’t realize that the contract could ever be dissolved which made her more demanding and him a more miserable partner than if they were in a typical marriage. Now he his busy looking for a way out while she is trying to prove that her life was not in vain.

As for the intelligence piece, he’s a Rhodes Scholar, Ph.D., and I haven’t seen anything that proves him to be unintelligent. He just seemed fettered. I feel he comes off stronger and smarter now that he doesn’t give a F&*&.

• M says:

Basically!

• Tony says:

Being a Rhodes Scholar has no bearing on having common sense and he doesn’t seem to have much, IMO.

• M says:

Fitz seems at some points literally starved for a deeper connection, which is consistent with his back story. His dad was self absorbed, his mom appears to have passed away while he was young, and he has been in a loveless marriage for 20 years. He told Jake that he didn’t anticipate the level of isolation in the presidency. He seems needy and Olivia seems emotionally closed off. All those people would do anything for her but they don’t seem to know her well.

41. Bee says:

It’s really sad that an amazing show like this is constantly been brought down by the awful relationship between Fitz and Olivia. I know they’re the endgame couple so they WILL end up together, but can’t the dynamics of the relationship be rewritten? It’s so painful and cringey to watch and I usually just skip past their scenes now(and no don’t tell me I’ve been missing some ‘beautiful’ scenes or whatever mushy, toxic, disturbing relationship passes as “beautiful” in an era where twilight and 50 shades of grey are hits *rme* because I really don’t find them beautiful). It’s not really Fitz and Olivia I have issues with, it’s just the way their relationship goes and the people advocating Jake, ewww how is that much better? Because we’d all date a guy who’s been spying on us on cctv in his apartment, suuurrreee.

Mellie is the only person keeping me watching tbh. As far as I’m concerned, she’s the only interesting person left for now and I do hope her character stays around.

• Dixie says:

I’m a big fan of Bellamy Young. She’s dreadful in her guest role on Criminal Minds (my other favorite show), but hey, you can’t have great chemistry with everyone. I think she is an incredibly talented and versatile actress and is doing a first rate job playing Mellie. She’s the spark plug for the show at this point.

• kew1224 says:

Mellie had me cracking up when she looked at Fitz and said you have to pretend you like certain things in life to be able to live with somebody for years and years,you have to live in a fantasy to be able to survive. Then she looked at him with this innocent look and said”what’s barthering you Fitz”.i thought i’d die from laughing so hard.

42. Ronnie says:

The show is sooo good! And now that Jake knows Charlie has “been in his house and drinking his coke”, I see a very ugly showdown coming where only one survives. And the preview of Cyrus busting in on the Prez and Olivia just shows how the next episode will be filled with OMG moments. Can’t wait!!

43. Abby says:

I love scandal, but I am disappointed by Olivia and Fitz relationship. I agree with some earlier commenters that Fitz is a jerk. He is rude to Olivia, and he got together with her and he is married. I think that he is reckless and mean. He seems to have no heart or respect for the roles he chose for himself (husband, president). There isn’t one thing sexy about him to me and I think he is toxic to Olivia. I really like this show, but I hope the “endgame” is Olivia rising above Fitz. I think the best resolution to me is if she would realize that she deserves better.

• ok says:

Why does she deserve better?
      She rigged an election and covered up a mass murder.
      Why is there this mania for pretending Olivia’s a saint?
      I like the character, but like all the other character’s she is FAR from perfect.

Wait… what mass murder?

• M says:

Thank you so much! Either people didn’t pay attention, have forgotten or didn’t see when 1). Fitz demanded that Cyrus fire Olivia b/c he knew he was attracted to her, 2) when Olivia chose to stay and work with him on the campaign when he told her why he fired her, 3) when Olivia -who knew how much actually winning the presidency on his own meant to Fitz- agreed to rig the election, 4) when her co-conspirator Hollis blew up Quinn’s job killing the programmer Quinn’s boyfriend and several others to cover up the rigging, 5) Olivia’s hiring Quinn out of guilt, 6) Olivia’s manipulation of Fitz with bringing in his Dad to the campaign, having the baby, etc… I like her, I like Fitz, I like Mellie, & I like Jake. But all of them are tremendously flawed – like all humans. It’s a great show and a great roller coaster ride!!

44. Tony says:

I also loved how Mellie revealed the affair. Now, he looks like an even worse dbag because she comes off as the forgiving wife. And if he leaves, he comes off even more as the uncaring, unloving and unfaithful husband.

• Cheyenne says:

Mellie never learns. As Olivia told Cyrus earlier in the season, give her enough rope and she’ll hang herself with it. Mellie is her own worst enemy.

Now that she’s gone public, she’s left herself wide open to Fitz holding a rebuttal press conference telling everybody he cheated on Mellie because she’s a lesbian or she’s frigid or she’s lousy in bed. Like Cyrus said, look for this to get very, very ugly.

• Tony says:

Mellie is the world’s most famous housewife who just had a baby. She struck the first blow. First impressions are everything. And anything he says after this just looks likes a petulant child who got his caught with his hand in the cookie jar. And with the history of presidents not being entirely truthful and faithful, history is certainly not on his side.

• Cheyenne says:

She’s already made herself look like a scorned woman. Now people are going to start wondering why she had to bring all her dirty laundry out in the open, and they are going to feel sorry for Fitz for having such a vindictive shrew for a wife.

• Bee says:

Vindictive shrew or not, it’s usually very rare for people to feel sympathy for the person who’s been ‘cheated on’ no matter if the person revealed it first or not. Fitz would have to pull out something really good to shift support to his side. And if he plays the frigid card, Mellie could easily play the ptsd from miscarriage card or something.

• ok says:

It’s going to come out that Mellie knew all along and only talked when he stayed by Olivia’s bedside.
            And at some point people are going to realise she went public without even warning the kids.

• Cheyenne says:

Are you forgetting that Mellie almost certainly knew about the hit on Fitz in advance? She threatened him to his face that if he kept on seeing Olivia she would blow him away. Then she is in the car with him going to his birthday party and he tells her he isn’t seeing Olivia any more. The look on her face when he said that was priceless: she was looking like Oh God, what have I done?! Next thing you know she is telling him she doesn’t want to go to the party after all and is practically begging him not to get out of the car. Draw your own conclusions.

45. Cheyenne says:

It just occurred to me… do we know for certain Billy Chambers is dead? We know Huck ordered Charlie to kill him and we saw Charlie get into the elevator with him but we never saw him do the deed. What if Charlie was playing a double game all along and let Billy escape? The promo for next week shows Charlie duct-taped to a chair being interrogated by Huck. What if Huck found out Billy is still alive — and is the mole — and Charlie played him false?

I can totally see Billy as the mole, feeding info to Sally Langston, as he’s a complete and total creep, hiding behind his right-wing evangelism to do really nasty things like sleeping with and impregnating Amanda Tanner and killing that guy who found out about it. If Billy is still alive, I think he’s acting in concert with Sally Langston, but if Huck or anyone finds out what he is up to, Sally will throw him under the bus again like she did the first season.

I just have this funny feeling Billy is still around and up to no good. I guess we will find out next week.

46. NaturallyCurlie says:

Want a shocker? How about Olivia Pope as the mole?
    That’d be a real surprise!

47. Ellen says:

So over O&F. After he admitted to O that he murdered the judge, what the heck is she doing with him anyway? How can she love someone who would do that? Sure Presidents have ordered killings for all kinda reasons, but to actually use his own hands for the deed just to protect himself? Greedy. Selfish. Cold. Horrible. Can’t believe she still wants him. Doesn’t fit with what \I know of her character. \love this show. my favorite on tv (well tied with GoTs), but…… don’t get this relationshps if you can call it that.

• Cheyenne says:

Olivia doesn’t know yet that Fitz killed the judge. Only Cyrus knows that. If he really wanted to split Fitz and Olivia up, he could tell Olivia what Fitz did. It would be interesting to see how she would react.

• ok says:

So it’s better to get someone else to do your killing like Verna did to him and Britta Kagan?
      That’s the coward’s way out.
      Verna was a killer.
      I find sympathy for her frankly nauseating.

• Moe says:

Olivia doesn’t know and the judge almost had Fitz successfully killed. She ordered his assassination and was planning to assassinate him again, figuratively, from her hospital room……

48. G. Brown says:

Instead of Marvin Gaye/Tami Terrel, they should have played Babyface’s ” Whip Appeal ” since that is what Olivia has over Fitz….fo’ sho’. Perhaps the Whispers ” Olivia ( Lost & Turned Out ) would have worked…. As for FLOTUS they could have had Teddy Pendergras singing ” I Don’t Love You Anymore ” !!!

49. SydB says:

I’m clearly in the minority but the Olitz thing is toxic IMHO. Olivia is this fabulous, strong, intelligent woman that consistenly allows herself to be manipulated emotionally by Fitz. There will be no happy ever after for them. He’ll find some other excuse to push her away and then dangle her back again. Why is it that women characters who are strong, independent and real role models have this weakness and stupdity when it comes to the choices they make about the men in their lives. I’m not saying she should be with Jake either but is there a reason she can’t have a loving, passionate, HEALTHY relationship?

• ok says:

Why can’t she have one with Fitz? She did before, and she clearly wants HIM.
      So why should you object now, he’s blown up his career for her?
      I thought Jake was way more toxic, and now he has a sex tape to prove it.

• SydB says:

How was her relationship with Fitz ever healthy? He was already married when she met him. And why does him blowing up his presidency for her make him more appealing. This is the POTUS. The leader of his country and with the unique ability to influence world events. And we’re supposed to think well of a man who walks away from those responsibilities as well as those to his wife and children. That makes him a loser. And she’s way to amazing to wind up with someone that selfish.

• M says:

Yes, Olivia is strong and intelligent and capable, but try as everyone might, she’s not the heroine. Neither is Mellie. Fitz isn’t a hero. Everyone wants her to be. Each has done something brave and self-serving. Why didn’t Olivia tell Fitz right away when she figured out that Verna tried to kill him? For all she knew, Verna hadn’t given up. Why didn’t Fitz just come clean on Amanda Tanner instead of having a baby conceived in disdain to go along? Why didn’t Olivia just turn Hollis in when he had the person actually rigged the election and several other innocent people killed in a mass bombing? No, instead she had the trial rigged to sooth her conscious over messing up Quinn’s life. Let’s not forget how she’s treated David. She ruined his career and is trying to clean it up now, as usual. Don’t misunderstand, I like Olivia and I root for her. But it seems as though a lot of folks blame Fitz, Mellie, Jake, like their villains and she’s a heroine being portrayed as bullied by Fitz. But she’s done an equivalent amount of dirt, just in very nice clothes wih a quivering lip!