Ratings: Chicago Fire Is Lone Gainer on Soft Wednesday; Family Tools Nails a Low for ABC

Ratings Chicago Fire Arrow American IdolNBC’s Chicago Fire was the only show to enjoy a demo gain this Wednesday night, drawing 6.4 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, ticking up a tenth from its last, forever-ago outing.

Opening NBC’s night, a Voice clip show (5.6 mil/1.6) placed fourth in the 8 o’clock hour, while SVU (5.7 mil/1.5) dropped some 20 percent week-to-week.

Fox’s American Idol Top 4 Re-Sing-Off (11.1 mil/2.8) was down 11 and 15 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Top 4 (Redux) Performance Recap: Standards Operating Procedure

Over on CBS… yikes. Survivor (9.1 mil/2.3) fell 21 percent, an ubercreepy Criminal Minds (10 mil/2.3) dropped 23 percent and CSI (9.3 mil/1.8) was down 25 percent, with all three shows hitting series lows.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Boys and Busses

On ABC, The Middle (7.3 mil/2.0) was flat, and Family Tools (5.8 mil/1.5) was down two tenths from Suburgatory’s finale — giving the Alphabet network its lowest-rated comedy premiere ever. Modern Family (9.5 mil/3.5) commanded the night’s best demo, though dipping 8 percent, while How to Live With Your Parents… (6.3 mil/2.2) was up from last week yet down 15 and 12 percent versus its last time with an original lead-in. Nashville (5.3 mil/1.7) dipped 11 percent and a tenth.

The CW’s Arrow (2.8 mil/0.9) and Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.9) dipped about 10 percent and a tenth.

1. Ouch! I so hope Nahville get renewed! *Crossing my fingers and praying real hard*

2. Kresh says:

Supernatural was sooooo goood, loved the storyline and even the drama was great! I can’t wait untill the next episode! :D

3. Amanda says:

I do wish ABC would promote The Middle more, its a real gem. How to Live With Your Parents… and Family Tools really drag down what could have been an excellent night of Television for ABC.

• Andy says:

EXACTLY! I say get rid of this parents and tools garbage and make the lineup The Middle, Suburgatpry, Modern Family, and Happy Endings. Why is ABC so dumb..?

4. Lee says:

I’m not surprised that American Idol continues to go down in the ratings. Has there ever been a more boring Top 4? I didn’t even bother watching the first hour and didn’t care for the second hour. All this manipulation has ruined the show.

• Paula Abdul says:

Sounds like you watch religiously since I have no idea that the show was even down to 4 “singers”. Only thing worse than haters are self – loathing haters.

5. Boiler says:

I have to think that all the breaks in new episodes hurts. I think it is a combination of hilarious and sad when I now see commercials about how we should be thrilled that there are a whopping 4 new episodes of these shows to end the year. Give me a break!!

• mia says:

+1. Its ridiculous ‘a whole 4 new episodes!’. I hate how the networks jerk viewers around like this – no wonder ratings are so up-and-down, no one knows when episodes are new.
      I’d rather take 2 haituses than the one-new-episode-three-repeats structure we have now

6. Joe says:

Family tools sucked , Happy endings , and apt 23 are much funnier and one is canceled and the other outlook doesn’t look so good ABC u suck

7. Maggie says:

Nashville was so good!!! It should have gotten better ratings than that…bummer.

8. Mel says:

Everything down means people were living their lives instead of parked in front of the TV.

9. I hope NBC will move Chicago Fire to another night or time, I feel like CSI takes away from its viewers, they both share the same viewers. Parenthood should move to Wed. night at 8/7pm.

10. Et al. says:

I’ve never seen a more self-destructive network than today’s ABC. At least NBC tries.

11. Lena says:

I watched about 5min of The Family Tool and then had to change it.

12. AN says:

The Middle is one of my favorite shows. Always funny and relatable!

13. sarah says:

I am so happy that Chicago Fire keeps getting more viewers! I do like Nashville too but Chi Fi is my #1 show at that time to watch.

14. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I know it has probably been said many times on TVLine, but it is worth repeating – this time of year, there are two ratings battles going on that we need to watch closely – 1) ratings between networks for ad dollar revenue and 2) ratings within networks for bubble show survival. ABC has four bubble show comedies – Live w/Parents, Suburgatory, Neighbors and Reba2 [w/Happy Endings going to TBS].
    The ABC comedy pilots fall into two camps – Family based – ‘Back in the Game/aka Safe at Home’, ‘How the Hell’, ‘Trophy Wife’ are Wednesday night fare, and ‘Mixology’, ‘Pulling’, ‘Super Fun Night’, ‘Bad Mgmt’ and ‘Lucky 7′ that are more Tuesday/single/urban type comedies.
    So, where does that leave ABC’s bubble show comedies? ABC has a three-step process to figure this out. Step 1 – Wednesdays at 8:30 and 9:30. ABC is going to want to give their ‘family’ pilots a shot at these slots this fall – Back in the Game and Trophy Wife would fit well into these slots. Step 2 – Tuesday night 9pm hour and winter 8pm hour. I think ABC will want to go with ‘single/urban’ type comedies, and they have plenty of pilots to choose from – Bad Mgmt, Lucky 7, Fun Night, Mix, Pulling. Step 3 – Friday 8:30 – Reba2 slot. If Reba is canceled (I think it will be), then either Live w/Parents, Suburgatory or Neighbors could move to that slot and pair with Last Man Standing. Hence, I think just one of the three ABC bubble comedies will survive. Which one?
    If you are an ABC programmer, what to do? I’m biased – in my mind, Sarah Chalke can do no wrong, so I’d place Live W/Parents at Friday at 8:30 following Last Man. But that’s why I can’t be a network programmer – tunnel vision. ;)

• Mark says:

How to Live With Your Parents is pretty risque though tbh. It doesn’t really fit the family fare like Malibu and LMS. Also, there’s no laugh track with that one. It seems to me like they’d want another laugh track comedy to go with LMS.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good point – that might mean ABC leans towards Suburgatory or Neighbors. I think Neighbors is an ABC production, and very family friendly for that slot.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

…and if they want to go with a multi-camera family-type comedy/laugh track approach (which is certainly possible), ABC has the John Leguizamo pilot. That’s an option. If they go that route, it may be curtains for all four bubble shows – Parents, Suburb, Neighbors and Reba2/Malibu.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Suburgatory is such a great show. I’d hate to see it shuffled off to TBS. Except, Cougar Town is 100% a better show now that it is on TBS, so there is that….

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Just did a final run through of my notes prior to this coming week when the networks make their final run through decision-making prior to Upfronts that start next Sunday night/NBC, May 12th. I just found an error in my notes that I hadn’t corrected – wanted to come back here and ensure I correct the error so that others won’t get bad info. The show ‘Lucky 7′ on ABC that I noted in my posting above is actually a drama, not a half hour comedy as I had in my notes. Correction made – Lucky 7, an ABC drama.

15. jess k says:

LOVE Chicago Fire! So glad last night’s episode was a gainer. :)

16. Tom Charles says:

Will this finally convince people to stop giving Kyle Bornheimer leads? Sadly I doubt it, but c’mon, it’s gotta happen.

17. Kim says:

I LOVE The Middle and Modern Family, and The Neighbors really grew on me–I hope it comes back because I thought it was really sweet and funny. The others–Meh.

18. mike says:

Nashville needs Chris Carmack as a regular cast member.

19. Steve says:

I wish the MIDDLE would get more credit and publicity…Its such a great family show…I think its timeslot against Idol and Survivor makes it hard to get the attention and viewers it desrves.

20. Rrswag says:

First, Nashville got right back to the drama on Wednesday and if you missed it, then it’s really your loss.

Second, Networks are still living in the dark ages no matter how you look at it. The overnight ratings aren’t true reflections of anything since so many of us have DVRs plus Neilson ratings are flat out outdated. They can’t keep up with the times. Do they look at how many people DVR the episode, download it the next day from the Network’s website, or the social media (Twitter, in particular) popularity of a show? Times are changing and the way ratings are calculated need to change, too.

Third, Networks could move away from this antiquated scheduling by having 2 seasons of TV shows. Since shows are more easily accessible, it is no longer necessary to take a summer break. They could have shows that start in the Fall and shows that start in May/June. Shorten the break at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. I know this year I had plenty of time to watch new shows because I still work and have all my normal stuff to do until it gets to the week of the holiday. Just think how many more shows they could produce and good bubble shows wouldn’t have to get the ax. They could still ax all the bad shows they want. Maybe even then the Networks could give a show more than 2 airings to gain a following before canceling the series.

Just a dream, I know!