Criminal Minds Boss on Renewal Hold-Up: 'If We're Not on the Fall Schedule, I Will Be in Shock'

Criminal Minds Season 9 Renewal DelayErica Messer has signed a new deal with ABC Studios to continue on as executive producer and showrunner of CBS’ Criminal Minds, our sister site Deadline reports — assuming the crime drama is renewed for Season 9.

The hold-up: Longtime castmembers A.J. Cook, Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore and Kirsten Vangsness all have yet to negotiate their own Season 9 returns, though that process is expected to be expedited now that Messer’s officially on board.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Criminal Minds, CSI, NCIS and More of Your Favorite Series

During a TVLine interview about the show’s season finale (airing May 22), Messer said that if CBS’ May 15 Upfront presentation “rolls around and we’re not the schedule, I won’t have any words for you, because i will be in shock, on the floor.”

CBS already has renewed 19 shows to return for the 2013-14 TV season, but Criminal Minds remains a conspicuous omission from the list. “Five of our seven actors aren’t negotiated for next year — it wasn’t just one or two [as in past seasons] — and good business says you can’t pick something up until those [talks] are at least well underway,” Messer explains. “And when CBS put out that press release [about pick-ups], they weren’t.”

For her part, Messer admits, “I’m calling business affairs [for updates] every day saying, ‘How bored are you with me calling?’ And they are very, very bored with me calling. But I feel very confident that the show is beloved both by ABC Studios and the CBS Network, and by fans around the world. I’d be shocked if we didn’t come back.”

As previously reported, Criminal Minds‘ Replicator-centric Season 8 finale will feature one fatality and one possible death — one of which is a character played by a series regular.

Want scoop on Criminal Mins, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Janey says:

Why do they film it in the dark? When it was first season, say, it looked bright and neat, now it looks like the picture tube went out – every week- must be a budget thing!

2. Criminal minds fan shayla! says:

I hated it when paget left the cm team, the team without prentiss is like straw without berry! If aj cook leaves that would be it! J.j+prentiss are my ultimate favourite and they all fit in well ”just like family” jj,prentiss,morgan,reid,garcia,hotch+rossi are the CM family,full stop. thousends of us were devistated when Prentiss left and will be is J.J does! I say get rid of Blake(tipplehorn) and Bring PRENTISS(brewster) back. Emily was pretty,smart and mysterious which was why I loved her! Blake is just blake, nothing extrodinary or special:L she just doesn’t fit. The team will be perfect again is blake leaves, and I hope nobosy else does.. But please bring Paget Brewster(Emily Prentiss) back

3. Stephanie says:

ORIGINAL CAST did prentiss not come back though I have not seen most of this season so its when she died or she left somewhere I do know she didn’t die though she comes back and im not sure if its this or she like just left.GET RID OF HER REPLACEMENT shes so boring and cold she just doesn’t fit the family.

4. Miss Pri says:

I HOPE THEY HURRY AND REACH AGREEMENT BC IM TIRED OF WATCHING RERUNS. LOL

5. Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did
    you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few
    simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Thanks

6. TSU says:

Reid, Gracia, Derek and Hotch is a must have for me! All of the original casts, please come back to Season 9! It ain’t the same without the entire family :'( Blake doesn’t fit into the family as much, not like Prentiss and i wouldn’t be upset if she left. But PLEASE don’t kill off Reid! He makes the show funny! Interaction between Derek and Garcia makes my day too :))

7. pat.walton says:

I love criminal minds would love to see all the same Ones stay the show is awesome best show on tv.

8. Les looks chinois se sont m|lang|s des inspirations disco.

9. James Loc says:

I haven’t heard anything of a season 10 for 2014 so i’m just wondering if anyone else has or is this like a lot of other really good shows such as Golden Bot, Burn Notice, Southland and Numb3rs to name a few getting cancelled??

I don’t know who makes these decisions, but they should be fired; I mean c’mon even seth decided to f*ck up by killing off Brian WTF!!! lol

10. Tara desautels says:

I think there should be a show on criminal mind that called abduction were the criminal takes there victims does experiments on them like aliens do

11. Cristina Fermin says:

Will like for all the cast to stay and for Prentis to return. I love criminal minds, I will hate to see anyone leave.