American Idol Top 4 Results Recap (Redux): Don't Know Why...There's No Sun Up in the Sky

American-Idol-Top-4-Results-Recap-Kree-Harrison-Amber-HolcombIn an American Idol season that’s been almost entirely void of suspense — except maybe an intermittent/horrifying feeling of, “Lazaro Arbos isn’t really gonna live to forget his lyrics another week, is he?” — tonight’s Top 4 results telecast sure was an armchair-clenching affair.

RELATED | American Idol: 11 Terrible Ideas to Avoid in a Potential Season 13 Reboot

With only four ladies left in the competition, the cherished “hometown visits” on the line, and last Thursday’s non-elimination meaning that 38 million votes carried into this week’s tallies, it was one of the few moments in Season 12 where you could sincerely say that anything could happen.

RELATED | American Idol Top 4 (Redux) Performance Recap: Standards Operating Procedure

And indeed, by the end of the hour, just about everything did. We had David Cook serving up his delicious new single “Laying Me Low” with his usual brand of unassuming charm and muscular vocals. (That hand-clapping, foot-stomping breakdown was giving me everything I needed in my life today.) We had Harry Connick Jr. — keeping the runs to a minimum, naturally — singing “Every Man Should Know” and prompting my mother to send a flurry of texts including, “Love Harry Connick!!!” “OMG he is soooo good looking!!!!” and “Gives me chills!” [Those are direct quotes, by the bye.]

In other “news,” “will.i.am” “also” “took” “the stage” with a “song” from the Great Gatsby soundtrack. Oh, why am I being polite? Dude’s musical output was less appetizing than a chunk of three-day-old shawarma that’s been pecked to smithereens by pigeons. Uncle Nigel coulda booked Crystal Bowersox or Melinda Doolittle or Katelyn Epperly, and instead we got an old Cher song ripped limb from limb by a combine harvester.

American Idol Top 4 Results Recap David CookBut enough delaying…let’s get to the moment of truth (brought to you by some hideously painted Ford Fiestas):

SENT TO SAFETY (in no particular order)
Angie Miller
Candice Glover

LAST TWO IN JEOPARDY
Amber Holcomb
Kree Harrison

ELIMINATED
Amber Holcomb

After her ouster was announced, Amber offered a tearful rendition of Whitney Houston’s “I Believe in You and Me” that stopped in its tracks after her adorable, weeping dad clambered up on stage to hug her. It was an emotional moment for the underdog contestant who’d received thunderous cheerleading from the judges’ panel in recent weeks, but who nevertheless proved to be a definitive No. 4 in a very tough quartet of contestants. Who knows, maybe Amber will prove Nicki correct, sell a gajillion albums and become the best friend of every girl in America, but for Season 12 of American Idol, I think she finished in the exact right position. Now dry those tears, girl! You’ve got a tour coming up (and an Idology interview to ace)!

A few other thoughts on the evening’s telecast:

* The Top 4’s performance of a big band-inspired “Crazy in Love” was pretty good on the verses, but the chorus — which I’m pretty sure was a backing track — made them sound like a 33 record played on 45. And on the fashion tip, was it me or did Angie and Amber’s outfits look inspired by Gatsby’s art-deco ad campaign?

* Weirdest retort of the night? Keith Urban muttering “Kree is Kree” while defending her from Jimmy’s implication that she was the contestant who deserved the boot this week.

* Best bon mot of the night? “You are gonna cry.” –David Cook, prepping the Top 3 for their hometown visits. But come on man, all of us are gonna cry, yes?

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 12 Top 4 results? Are you heartbroken, or did the right decision get made? What did you think of Jimmy’s comments? And how about that David Cook fella? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Davey says:

Angie grinning all night. She couldn’t care less that Amber was leaving. I wonder if she will cry if she’s eliminated next week. I certainly won’t be if she goes.

Does Kree play an instrument?

• LeahKittyS says:

Kree plays guitar, I saw it on Twitter, but she hasn’t done it on the show yet. I wonder why? I hope she breaks it out for the tour (which I’ve already got my tickets for!)

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

read my other post, it was off-base to Mafs but clearly does apply to you.
      Angie was smiling FOR Amber, she did so more whenever Amber hit something big/emotional and was clapping the whole time (you totally misread that) and then broke to only being able to sway and then she was balling too (which you missed noticing).
      She was crying as all the rest.
      The whole thing is silly anyway, vote what you think, reading this or that into contestants is a dangerous game and one easy to get wrong.

• Jongirl says:

For all who use the word, when someone is crying, the term is “BAWLING”. “Balling” is something else completely.

• Aly says:

I LOVE when people dare to correct mistakes! Absolutely no sarcasm intended. Thanks for this Jongirl.

• Jongirl says:

Usually I don’t correct, because I’ve been blasted by people on some other message boards when I’ve done so. But this one had the potential for so much embarrassment that I felt I HAD to say something. I’m glad someone else appreciates it.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

aghh haha man completely correct, can’t believe I did that, yikes
          hopefully it was just the late hour and because I was only half paying attention while typing at the same time as watching stuff

2. Carla says:

I think if Idol wants to remain credible, they need a winner like Kree. I have a big feeling that she will be selling Carrie Underwood numbers and will be hugely successful in country. Then again I think if they want to remain credible, they need Candace to win because she is clearly the best singer left and if she loses, all hell will break loose and Idol fans will start to really cut ties with the program. Lets hope they’re the final two cause they are in my opinion the best of the best.

• Nephtalia says:

We have Carrie and Kelly. Kree will be sharing the same market. But, Carrie was like Kree when she was on Idol. So maybe she will be the next Carrie.

• Carl says:

Kree has a beautiful voice but is as dull as dry toast. Carrie Underwood, although pretty boring during her season, was still quite stunning. Sad but true. Kree is a nice girl with no “pop”.

3. darcy's evil twin says:

Just watched “Idol” on the DVR. Wow, David Cook was amazing! Yay for the hometown boy! I sure miss good old rock and roll.
    I think America got it right and Amber should have been the one to leave but wow, how sad was that? It was so sweet when her dad came up on stage.
    Next Wednesday looks like it will be so exciting and I will be BUSY (darn!).

• Mary says:

You probably won’t miss much because this whole season has been lackluster for sure. Good luck girls but whoever wins it will be a hollow victory.

4. KREEDOM says:

Am I the only one here rooting for Kree – Angie finale?

5. waterbug says:

Candice is the best singer on the AI, Angie will win it all and Kree is just boring.

• Mafs95 says:

Kree is sometimes “boring” but I think she’ll be an amazing recording artist and with more time and experience she’ll learn how to connect more with the audience. I’m rooting for a Candice/Angie finale but if we had Kree instead of the latter I wouldn’t mind at all.

6. jane says:

Would love to see Candice win, but pretty sure Angie will. She’s got that perky Miley Cyrus thing that can get the teens voting and she has the Christian block. Even when she hasn’t preformed well, she’s never been in the bottom 2. And she seems like she really wants to win, not just get to the finale. She wants that trophy and shower of glitter more than any contestant I’ve ever seen on idol. It wouldn’t totally suck if she won. She’s a talented girl, just not my musical taste. I liked Kree at the beginning, but she is boring now. I’d rather see an Angie/ Candice finale. It would be more entertaining! Both Candice and Angie have had idol moments this season. Has Kree? I don’t remember.

• Matrix says:

It’s possible Angie was in the bottom two this week. The results were given “in no particular order”.

7. Billie says:

WHAT I WANT (SHOULD?) HAPPEN: Candice/Kree Finale
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN: Angie/Candice Finale
    There is no freaking way Candice will not be in Finale!!!

• AlyB says:

The one and only way to make sure that happens is to vote. No complacency allowed next week. Without a doubt she deserves to be there but it’s all about who’s fan base is going to do the heavy lifting necessary to get their fav into the finale. Too many people thinking their fav is a shoe-in and not voting is what leads to “shocking” eliminations and we’ve had plenty of those.

8. Being the sentimental favorite and my personal favorite all but ensures Kree’s exit next week.

9. twnkltoze says:

Amber. Bought into the hype from the judges and felt she didn’t have to do anything other than stand, open her mouth and sing. And beautifully I might add. But she never sold it. She was stiff and emotionless about 98% of the time. Little to no relatability to the lyrics. The judges made that OK. Aside from her song on Diva’s night and MFV, she relied solely on her vocals. Period. I think she was truly in shock last week and knew the cards were stacked against her this week. I think she knew she might go home. I took her emotional goodbye two ways. Heartbroken yes, but she also came off as a sore loser rather than attempting to take the news gracefully. She’s got some serious growing up to do in the world of hard knocks before she can relate to any song and express herself sincerely on stage. SO happy Candice is around for another week and rooting for her to go all the way!

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

Sore loser? By crying when you’re dream just got crushed in front of millions of people? You, are just a plain loser.

• Mary says:

Are you for real?? Did you watch the show? Amber moved around when the song warranted it. None of these girls other than Janelle have really worked the stage. This is a singing show so I think relying on vocals is important. I could go on but frankly it is not worth it.

10. laurirose says:

Why isn’t anyone addressing the awful reality of race on Idol??

Unfortunately, despite her obnoxious melodramatics, eyes glued to the cameras, & consistently sub-par vocals, I’m very concerned Angie will win it all due to the mass of white tween & white Southern grandma voting blocs.

They will do everything to prevent a dark-skinned black woman from winning as the brilliant Candice so obviously deserves to- and to put the young white Christian singer in top spot.. so much has changed since Fantasia won…

Praying my pathetic prediction doesn’t come true… can’t stand seeing Angie anymore… PLEASE get everyone u know to vote for Candice 2 hours straight.. we CAN do the right thing!

• Tricia says:

Seriously. The final four was split between two Caucasian girls and two African American girls and you are still gonna pull the race card? Really?

• Scott says:

But Idol already has had Fantasia & Jordin Sparks win. And on the male side, Ruben Studdard. I think the race barrier was broken (if there ever even was one) in seasons 2 & 3. If white tween & white Southern grandma voting blocs mean only a white christian will win, then what happened to Colton Dixon last year? I say rubbish.

• Adam Fachry says:

Disagree. Colton was basically less strategic in terms of reaching out to his demographic than Angie is this season. He’s made some creative, interesting song choices, so creative that he chose to sing a Gaga song which was arguably a turn-off for many of his fans. He was perceived as contradictive back then, but Angie, as of now, hasn’t been deemed that way (even though, I think if we closely look at some of the aspects of her artifice, she did contradict a little, i.e. some of her outfits that could be considered too sexual for conservative christians, but this thing is hardly a problem compared to singing a song from a gay icon).

• gailer says:

I’m sorry I would never vote on anything based on race, but I believe your post is telling voters to do just that.

11. Gailer says:

I actually enjoyed David Cook, but I have never heard him on the radio, so I assume things aren’t going that great for him.

• Carla says:

He has one of Idol’s strongest fan bases though. Including me!! ;)

• deedee says:

Didn’t you love the banter with Mariah about ABMB? She remembered it well!

• Carla says:

Yeah! Good on Mariah for mentioning that. David never gets half of the credit he deserves–made such a mark on Idol for his musical intelligence.

• deedee says:

He changed the game in so many ways. It’s great he has a standing invitation to perform every season. Incentive to crank out a new single.

• waterbug says:

David Cook blows up the radio here, so I guess it just depends on what market you live in.

12. Adam Fachry says:

Might as well throw a confetti shower at Angie right after Amber was eliminated cause it’s co obvious she’s gonna win it all come May 16. “This is my nooooowwww!”

• deedee says:

Trying to decide what object to hurl at the television during Angie’s confetti shower. It’s gotta be light enough not to damage the tv, but substantial enough to feel good throwing it :) .

• Adam Fachry says:

I’d suggest you make a standing banner of her figure right now so when she is announced the winner, you can do whatever you want with that banner. I figure it would be more affordable and less risky than throwing something at a tv–well at least for mine, which was made in 1995 lol.

• deedee says:

mm-hmm, mm-hmm, *taking notes*. On my way to the craft store for some foam board and glue, and to HMV for a leftover Miley poster …

• sherab says:

bang-snaps are effective, deedee… (ask me how i know! ;-) )

• deedee says:

Just looked up “bang-snaps” … *gasp*! It’s like loose-cannon bb gun pellets! I’ve decided on empty juice box containers and tomato puree cans. Plenty of each in my household, and they’re reusable. Excellent ‘green’ Idol-disappointment-assault-weapons. I’m fully armed and ready for an Angela Miller eyeroll-inducing, gag-worthy, tiara-and-sash moment. Bring it, Idol!!

• waterbug says:

Agreed!

13. Tricia says:

I predicted at her audition Angie would be next American Idol. She has the most artistry of any of the final three. While Candace and Kree may have technically better voices, Angie has that, dare I say, X factor, that the others don’t. Every time she takes the stage you are left thinking, She can’t be beat and good for her. I bet she is a really hard worker and will make the most of her opportunity.

• dj says:

That’s not what I think. I think Angie is good, but I think Candice is great. Her performances are great, like Ella Fitzgerald great. She’s a phenomenon.

• deedee says:

Angie definitely does not have more artistry that Candice.

• syb says:

Most of her “artistry” is a product of cameras, lights and wardrobe at this point. Angie wrote a good song. I don’t think her interpretations of others’ songs have been too artful. So if you’re confining your definition of “artistry” to songwriting, and the image of young lady in short dress at the piano, staring soulfully into the camera, then that’s your choice. Candice’s artistry in vocal interpretation is unmatched by any of the others this season.

14. Brandon says:

Hold up. They had HALEY FREAKIN’ REINHART in the audience last night, and instead we get will.i.am?! Why is Stefano good enough to be on the show but she’s not? She didn’t even get a Latoya London-style shout out!

• Trouty Mouth says:

She performed last season. She doesn’t have a single to promote, so why would she be performing?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Promotion never hurts. Some others didn’t have a new album either.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

and she never got any promotion at all for anything she wrote on her current/old album, apparently her schedule was too busy to work out an appearance the last couple weeks (although maybe there is more going on one way or another since that seems odd, unless they sprung the invite really late in the game) apparently they did want her back, at least now, but she is traveling too much or something. Who knows maybe she is near a new deal and they want to brand her apart from Idol? Although is re-tweeting Idol appearance so it doesn’t seem like that would be the case. Maybe doesn’t wanna promote something they dropped her for on their stage? but she is still tweeting about her album. Maybe they didn’t want to promote an old song since if it did well they would look weird and they wanted her to try a new song but she didn’t have time to prep that up? could be?
          who knows, but apparently they asked her back for the last week or two and she was going to be traveling and couldn’t get everything that would need to be done setup

• Emma says:

Casey Abrams did a cover, why couldn’t she? I’m mighty pissedoff! I mean c’mon even Lazaro sang better than that garbage Stephano puked up on the stage. And I agree with Brandon that Ryan could have taken one bleeping second to say, hey look who’s here, it’s HALEY FREAKIN’ REINHART!!!

15. Lois Benton says:

This was a night in which there was no result that wouldn’t hurt. All four are all extraordinarily talented. They all have fabulous voices. But last week’s MacArthur Park did Amber in. Even though the music business is harsh, I do believe all four will have enviable careers.

• Truly says:

“All four are all extraordinarily talented. They all have fabulous voices.”

Oh, if only that were true.

• Mafs95 says:

They all have great voices. The difference between each girl is how they connect to the songs and how many risks they take. Amber completely lost it with “MacArthur Park” and “Just Give Me A Reason”.

16. Scott says:

“Dude’s musical output was less appetizing than a chunk of three-day-old shawarma that’s been pecked to smithereens by pigeons.”

Ewwww! But seriously Michael, I love you. Truly, madly deeply. I have nothing else to add because you said everything I would say. And a lot more creatively.

17. efe says:

I wanted Angie to go. She was terrible this week. And frankly, her upper register makes me cringe. It should be a Kree/Candice finale.

• Maíra says:

I cringe so hard every time keith praises her “soothing to the ear” upper register. I mean, I think it works for her and I feel it’s really hard to manipulate the timbre of the upper registers (non-falsetto voice) so I’m not saying it’s for lack of talent. she’s talented enough… she just isn’t the kind of artist I like to listen to, on my part. now candice… much like ms. mariah, I don’t know how she manages to make every note in that huge range sound so pleasant, clear and effortless. astounding. to boot, what she actually does with her pyrotechnics shouldn’t be called “runs” but, yes, licks, as she’s very creative in her melodic choices. I know many guitarists, for instance, who wouldn’t have the verve to pop in some of the notes she chooses on a lick. and it takes a lot more pitch-training (or perhaps a relative or perfect pitch) to do that if you’re a singer.

18. Lois Benton says:

Speaking of The Finale, efe, what I wouldn’t give for a Joshua Ledet/Candice Glover duet. I know it won’t happen on this show, but it would be good if it did. While I’m at it, for The Finale, it also would be very nice to see duets, in any combination, with Carly Smithson, Adam Lambert, Alllison Iraheta, Cystal Bowersox, Haley Reinhart, and Casey Abrams.

19. So happy for Candace, I was holding my breathe. And David Cook will always remain my favorite idol, all time (with props to Kellie Clarkson and Double P whose album really is pretty dang good)

20. Linda Foltz says:

I just want Candice to win. Period. She deserves it. Her voice is like honey and incomparable, in my opinion. And she’s sweet and humble, and cries every time someone leaves. I voted for her continuously Wednesday night and will continue to do so.

CANDICE FOR THE WIN!!!!

21. Chris says:

I never thought I’d see Jimmy make excuses for a contestant, so imagine my surprise when he said Amber didn’t have time to learn the song… Either someone made him say that or he’s changed his entire outlook on the process the contestants go through.

Amber you have a beautiful voice, an audience, and an open doorway – three major things for success. Go get it.

Candice, Angie, and Kree – great job and enjoy every second of your hometown visit! Looking forward to your performances next week!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I think he might want to sign her and he doesn’t want anything to tarnish his signing.

22. Carol says:

Amber is an amazing singer but I can’t help feeling that the only reason she is singing is because she can. There’s no passion. And that why I would never vote for her. Or buy her album for that matter.

23. Ed says:

I have not enjoyed this season at all; sure, there have been some good performances here and there, but the whole Idol format is getting stale. Won’t be watching any more; am just gonna watch The Voice from here on out.

• Mary says:

I am with you about this season, but I don’t believe it is the format. I think it is the way the producers manipulated it. I don’t watch the voice because it is all about the judges and frankly I don’t waste my time. This season has no variety what so ever. Yes I know they wanted a female winner but at what cost. Personally I don’t think it was worth it. Having only 5 females in the top five has been redundant and quite frankly dull. I am a firm believer variety is the spice of life.
      I don’t want steak everyday.

• ETG says:

The thing I don’t like about Idol anymore is the way they do the audition and elimination rounds. It is no longer entertaining to have all the stupidity during the auditions; viewers deserve better than the producers trotting out person after person who cannot sing a lick, then cuss the judges when they get sent home. If I wanted to watch Jerry Springer, I would do that; I don’t need Idol to try to emulate the trailer trash shows. Also, with tens of thousands of people auditioning for the show, it is ludicrous that the top 12 we got this year (in fact, MOST years) is the BEST they could come up with!! The Voice is my show of choice from here on out.

24. Jessica says:

The right person went home! I think Kree is gone next week -if she can bring out the guitar that would be a nice shocker or an amazing song choice. I really hope Candice wins and will be voting for her! I cannot relate to Angie at all but I’m not into wide eyes/ big smiles all the time and her music.

25. Kieran The Lighting Guy says:

I just want to take this moment to sincerely thank Ryan Seacrest for dignifying my existence, by mentioning my name in the telecasts. He could just say “Dim the lights” but he chooses, to say “Dim the lights Kieran”, thereby acknowledging me and making me feel like a human being. Thank you Ryan.

• deedee says:

You haven’t been paying attention all these years. Ryan says, “Kieran, dim the lights”. I guess you’ve been too busy dimming the lights to have noticed the order of his words.

• Carla says:

I’m dying lmfao he says “Kieran dim the lights” every freaking results show

• Kieran The Lighting Guy says:

Ryan has indeed said those words in the order of “Kieran, dim the lights” on occasion, but for the great majority he has said “Dim the lights, Kieran”.

Please feel free to go back and watch every episode of American Idol and record each instance of this, then graph it to compare, just as I have done (when not being too busy dimming the lights!) :)

• deedee says:

On the contrary. Ryan has said the words, “Kieran, dim the lights” (in that order) 93.7% of the time since I started tracking it in season 4.
          Either way, thank you, and bless you, Keiran, for your many years of service dimming the lights on our favourite show. Results would be nothing without light-dimming, and I say that as someone who has experienced results announced in full light. It’s just not the same.

Btw, are you related to Jonathan Lipnicki?

nice!

• syb says:

I want to know how to get that gig. Is it union? Because I’m killing myself here in the office every day, and all you do is dim the damn lights once a week.

26. waterbug says:

Candice DESERVES to win it–I will be voting only for her. But she will not win. It will be wgwp or country girl.

27. Jongirl says:

Amber had a gorgeous voice, but no stage presence or connection at all, so it’s the right thing for her to be going home. This leaves three very distinctly different styles and voices for us to enjoy next week. I actually think this week may be more enjoyable, musically, than the last week will be, and I’m looking forward to it.

28. syb says:

Wasn’t a big fan of most of what Amber did, but she had two performances that really impressed me, and one was Wednesday. To me, she should have made top 3 over Angie. But that wasn’t going to happen in any Idol universe. So best of luck to her. I think she has the ingredients to be;a success. That doesn’t guarantee she will be of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see her emerge as one of Idol’s star alumni given time, seasoning, good material and good management. She’s a very likeable seeming young lady, so although I doubt I’d run out and buy her records, it’s hard not to root for her to make it big.

• dadang says:

agreed. she should have made it over Angie. i’m at peace now that she went home because I’m sick of the judges pushing her too hard and tho i’m a big fan, i know she is yet to be seasoned. when that time comes she will make it big.

fine for her to go.

29. jeanann says:

It will probably be Candice and Kree. But, I wouldn’t be upset if it was Candice and Angie. I think each of them will have great success in their own categories. I love that Angie is a singer songwriter – that will give her some longevity. But they are all good. I think the correct three are in the finals.

30. waterbug says:

Angie will win…It is not that I want her to, it is just how the stars are aligning. Go Candice.

31. Katya says:

I think that Amber has an amazing voice. I honestly felt that she had the best “marketable” voice on the show, and the looks. The raw talent is there. I believe she will have a long and lucrative career. Yes, she made mistakes. But she is very young. When she grows into her voice she does have to potential to be unforgettable.

Angie, to me, is a good singer, but she doesn’t stand out to me. . If she wins this it will be because of the superficial aspects, not the quality of her voice being the best on the show.

Candice & Kree are boring performers. They have both stepped it up a bit, but I don’t believe performing comes naturally to them. In the beginning I was really rooting for both of them. I would have like to see Amber win.

I hope Candice or Kree win it, but I see the finale as most other do. Candice & Angie. I think Kree will be the one going home next week. Which could be a blessing in disguise for her. Winning American Idol limits the performer since they are under contract.

American Idol has been really lackluster and boring this season. I’ve really enjoyed Nicki Minaj. I know a lot of people don’t like her but there is never a dull moment with her. She is entertaining, to say the least, and gives honest and helpful feedback. Mariah seems like a nice, yet insecure woman. Randy, boring. Keith, I can listen to him say “baby” all day long. :)

So, until next week.

32. Larry says:

Did no one else hear the flat notes Amber sang in BOTH her songs? It’s a fairly common problem: starting or ending a phrase in a lower register flat. Amber sounded like she either wasn’t “into it” or was just plain sloppy with her singing. AND she clearly didn’t understand either ‘Stormy Weather’ or “Funny Valentine”. She was slipping every week and deserved to go home. Maybe she’ll have a career… but not if she doesn’t start LISTENING to what she’s singing.

• deedee says:

I know. It’s really awful when a contestant doesn’t understand the lyrics to a song that another contestant sings. Kree performed “Stormy Weather”.

• Lulu says:

I was glad Harry called both Amber and Kree out on their ignorance. Amber is clearly not very bright even for a 19 yr old – the lyrics to Funny Valentine aren’t complicated and her not understanding them made her look like the karaoke singer she is – tho it won’t stand in her way of becoming a star as – look at Nicki Minaj. And why Kree is too thick-witted to understand why it’s bizarre to smile through ‘She Talk to Angels’ – addiction, mental illness – is a mystery. So I was glad when Harry was clearly annoyed she was equally disconnected from Stormy Weather. At least Candice and Angie both listen to what they are singing and understand the words – hellooo, it’s pretty basic. (More Harry or at least someone with a similar knowledge of music who is willing to hold contestants to certain standards because clearly the judges – no matter who they are – will clearly have to continue to subscribe to the ‘Lying Jackass Club’ as long as Nigel’s running things.)

• Mafs95 says:

loool oh snap!

33. TheFaxWhisperer says:

That fella David Cook was the reason I watched an entire season of American Idol.

34. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Jimmy did have a potential point there with his I’d rather one stunning performance, even if paired with something that failed, than two decently solid performances or nothing but average middle of the pack every single week compared to a mix of so-so and incredible.

35. Singing_gal says:

A little off topic, but where is the Janelle interview?

36. BrazenSongBird says:

I love all FIVE of the girls this season. Here’s why:

1. Candace – If the the stars in the industry and market align right, she IS our next great diva along with Whitney, Mariah and yes, even the queen, Aretha. (ah-ahhhhhh!). I respect her musicianship so very much. She is a rare talent. I can’t wait to hear what she’s going to sing next. I haven’t been this excited about an idol artist since Haley.

2. Kree – I see her heart when she sings and it’s a beautiful heart at that. Everything this girl has been through in her life shows up in her art. And she has some MAJOR skills! Does her stage presence need improvement? Sure. I suspect that most of her performance flaws will correct themselves when it’s just her and the audience and no judges. And her voice is so damn pretty!

3. Angie/Amber – I put these two together because they’re both great vocalists, physically attractive, and highly marketable in their respective genres. But their issues are the same too: Experience and connection. Angie needs to connect to the audience (more) and Amber needs to be consistent in her connection to the lyrics and meaning of a song. With Angie the trick is no trick. She shouldn’t try to act her emotions because she’s indicating them instead, and that is irritating to an audience. Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience. Instead of going “This way! This way!”, just bring them along on the journey by sharing the story. Amber just needs to do her homework. If you don’t know what a song/lyric means, google it! Do you know what I would have given to have had Google when I was in school? I love her voice. There is so much potential there, but showing up to a coaching unprepared is just foolish. How are you supposed to be coached on a song that you don’t know? And, after all the study and understanding, if you feel that you can’t do justice to the emotion and meaning of a song, don’t. do. that. song. These ladies both have massive potential, they’re just not ready….yet. What’s needed is some time to “cook” a little more. The Road and time will both have a good effect on them.

and…

4. Janelle – Whereas the other four girls have a handle on their vocal prowess, Janelle has a bit of a ways to go in that department. I hear serious potential in her voice and she IS a late bloomer; so many untapped skills! When she does come into her own, I predict that she will be amazing. However, what she does have in spades now is a natural affinity for the stage. The girl was born to work a stage and she does it well. Put that together with the voice-to-come and watch out!

37. Aly says:

Even though everyone thinks Angie will win, IMHO I think it would help AI’s ratings for future seasons to have the contestant who actually deserves to win take the victory, namely Candice. It would be amazing and so satisfying to finally make things right after all the previous frustrating rigged seasons (Crystal, Haley, etc.)

• TheGirlsRock says:

I’m not sure why you think Candice is more deserving than any of the other top 4. They have all had their moments. While I like Candice, for me she’s all about the runs and sometimes she runs the melody right out of the song.

If your looking to help the longevity of Idol why not a young girl who has had the Idol dream all her life and is living it to the fullest. That sends a message. Or a country girl who lost her parents at a young age and has fought her way into the mainstream. Also sends a message.

Candice winning has no claim to “the right thing” title. Beauty is “in the ear of the beholder” so vote for who you like and leave it at that.

• deedee says:

Do we really need someone to send us a “message”? I don’t need any Idol kid’s message. How about just someone who delivers some excellent singing? Like Candice Flippin’ Glover?

• syb says:

Haha. Thanks for that. Totally agree.

Inspirational stories are lovely. I’m sure Candice has one too if we probed a bit. The woman has perfected her craft to an extent only seen on Idol a handful of times over 12 seasons. She sings with passion and sophistication, and she never misses a note. How about the best singer wins for a change? That might inspire excellence, which is a message worth sending too.

• TheGirlsRock says:

Yikes…seem to have awaken the Slezak clones. The comment was she deserved to win for whatever reason. They all deserve to win for reasons unique to them was the point. They all can sing. That you think Candice is best is subjective and what this show is about… vote for her.

I love to listen to Candice and she’s one of the two I look forward to. She’ll have a fine career, I think, much like Crystal not huge like say Carrie….just my opinion.

But deserving more than the others…. nope.

This is what keeps the show interesting.

• Aly says:

They all can sing but Candice is just way better. Just like Haley was better than the “country couple” and Crystal was better than Lee.

38. CarolLeslie says:

Add me to the list of former Idol fans who no longer bother to watch the show. It’s so much more entertaining to read Slezak’s recaps instead. Keep up the good work Michael.

39. spas says:

KNEW THE NIGHT B4? amber was all weepy on stage the night before and wouldn’t answer as to why. my guess…someone let her know that she’d have been eliminated the week before – and by a wide margin…so that she’d have had to slay BOTH songs and put out some kind of new vibe to attract new fans to have any hope of salvation – or that she’d lost by such a wide margin that it really wasn’t likely. AND i think someone (seacrest?) told her this in between her first and second performances. why would seacrest or anyone else give her any clue at such a pivotal moment? to create drama. uncle nigel (slezak-stolen) may have thought it would be sweet to have her all weepy on stage. and it was, amber was looking her most gorgeous in that second outfit and i just wanted to hug her. it seems a mean thing to do, but i guess… in the name of ratings, abuse the contestants and give some chance to future contestants.

NOT READY – i agree with others who say that amber is very talented vocally – she just wasn’t READY to go further than this, but deserved to get this far. her song choices, arrangement of the songs, identification with and comprehension of the lyrics, and even some of her performances highlighted her lack of experience. you have to grow up FAST on the idol stage – and amber wasn’t doing that. hopefully she will on tour, so that she CAN prove nicky right.

• michelle4jerusalem says:

ALSO, i found the seacrest HILARIOUS in a rare moment of sharp wit, mocking randy that he always falls asleep on the couch, nothing happens…joining connick jr in flirtatious jest with randy. i had a moment imagining the three of them on randy’s couch – then ran screaming. clearly if someone is going to be nuzzling harry connick jr on a sofa besides his wife, it should be me!

40. Chi-Gal says:

I think Kree is an attractrive young woman with a beautiful voice but OMG her singing does absolutely nothing for me. Everyone has their own goose-bumps level (aka preference), of course but she just has no star quality IMHO. I think she is one that will be quickly forgotten after the show. (I believe she will be the next to go.) Angie’s singing to me is like nails on a blackboard. I usually fast-forward when she performs. Her sappy flirting with the camera is so very annoying. While I agree Amber was not perfect, I liked her voice and looks (loved her dimples!) and believe she will go far. Candice has given me those goose-bumps on almost all of her performances. I think she is a bit too much on the timid side while on stage at this point in time but will gain confidence and then she will be a force to reckon with. Goooo Candice!

41. LeahKittyS says:

I’m noticing some people complain that Angie shouts when she sings and bangs too hard on the piano. Keep in mind, the girl is hard of hearing. She may need to put in that extra “effort” so she can hear herself.

• ETG says:

I’m hard of hearing too, yet Angie’s shrill high register pierces to the very core of my head and makes me cringe!!!!

• deedee says:

Haterrr!!! Jellluss!!! Biasssssss!!!! :)

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

You better get 7 or 8 of those cardboard cutouts ready hah.
          I think it is far from certain. Even who makes the top two is anyone’s game. Each of the contestants has finished behind the other two at some point.

• deedee says:

Oh, come on, HTGR! I’m not anywhere near an Angie fan (as you, by now, know well) and even I can see the writing on the wall. It’s not anyone’s game. It’s Katniss Miller’s game! Cardboard cutouts are ready in my household! :-D

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

With all of this talk Angie fans will be complacent and not vote every second for four hours and Candice and Kree fans might. Performance night is big. In S10 Scotty was never below anyone, he had the finale as a lock. This time everyone has been below everyone. Angie is decent shape but it’s not a lock to even make the finale.

• ETG says:

I am hard of hearing, too, but I have NO problem hearing Angie’s shrill shrieks in her upper register…. in fact, they make me want to throw something through the plate glass window next to the television.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

maybe it’s the tinny speakers in your TV to some extent. Not that she has the world’s most mellow top register at volume but shrieky and painful doesn’t match what I’m hearing and those notes can even be smooth and ethereal when she hits them the other way.

• TheGirlsRock says:

I’ve made this argument before…3.7 million youtube hits on just her original alone….so somebody likes her “shrieking”. Maybe you and Angie actually have something in common. Have you had your hearing checked lately? lol

42. Deb says:

Amber deserved to go home, out of the 4 ladies left. I think Candice has an amazing voice, probably the widest range and control. However, for my taste, I would probably buy an album that Angie puts out. I like that she is also a songwriter and plays the piano. Too many people try to put Angie in a box like, “pretty girl”, pageanty”, but that is unfair. I liked all the girls this year, including Janelle. I voted for Janelle when the boys were still in it, because the judges kept throwing her “under the bus”. Since she was eliminated, I have not voted. I found it very difficult to pick who I preferred. I did not like the way the judges wer crowning Amber the winner. It reminded me of how the previous judges pimped Lauren Alaina and trashed Hailey, two seasons ago. Truly, it does not matter to me who wins, because all three of these ladies are incredibly talented!

43. Fernando says:

Will I Am is a horrible artist. Is that thing he does music? I don’t thinik so.
    The Voice UK sucks so bad thanks to him.

44. CAM says:

Why do I feel like the only person who does not enjoy Angie’s performances? I feel like I’m always being yelled out by someone who is overacting and too concerned about the overwrought faces she is making and how she looks. Yes, there are times she sounds quite good, but I wonder if people will really buy her music. I think Candace, Kree and Janelle, and probably even Amber, will be more successful.

• TheGirlsRock says:

I think your wrong and that Angie will actually have a number of avenues open to her and singing may just be how she gets started. I also think this over-acting and the like are just a product of her maturity. Candice and Kree both have a little more seasoning and at that age a couple of years is a lot. I think Amber likewise will eventually have multiple paths…I think shes even younger than Angie in terms of focus particularly. Candice and Kree will do well but I don’t think they will be huge. Janelle may surprise everybody.

People won’t buy Angie’s music? 3.7 million hits on youtube on a partial of her original and approaching a million on others. Somebody is going to buy it.

• dadang says:

same here. the emotion that she translates to me is like a nagging yelling spoiled brat doing it with style.

let me say this. i understand the fans that can identify with her. those at their late teenage and early 20s stage who loves the exaggeration and attention-getting drama. no wonder why she has the most fans. I totally agree that the show did push Amber too hard. But they did push Angie too hard too– early on that made her the most popular contestant. Even people who are not a fan of her or a regular viewer of IDOL would automatically recognize that there is a contestant by the name of ANGIE who is a songwriter and plays piano.

I happen to love the strategy that Angie applied to this. She played the game really smart. She knew how to shine and draw attention from the audience by singing her original song and playing the piano. As they say, it’s not necessary that you work hard, you have to work smart. this is a lesson for new joiners next season for anyone who badly wants the crown. Know the game (composed of 70% popularity) and play it smart by making yourself popular at the very beginning of the competition so you’ll have an army of voters.

i want to see how true talent (Candice or Kree) can outnumber the votes from popularity (Angie).

• DonB says:

Angie didn’t know her original song would be liked by the audience or by the judges, an enormous risk at that stage of the competition. As they say, someone has to get to the play-offs to win and that risk didn’t assure her of a playoff (final ten) spot Angie’s popularity with younger people is the eternal question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Did Angie come first or did the personality and sound? Every generation has its own distinct musical sound and personality. For example the sound and personality of the 1960s is nothing like that of 2005-2013. (It’s one reason theme nights and song choices on AI have such trouble with large sections of the viewing audience. It’s not who they are or the sound they have internalized. It’s also the primary reason wgwg has reined for the last five years and will for a while longer.) Angie is this generation. You can see and hear it in how kids act and sound in the schools. Angie is one of them, a Cyrus, a Bieber, in how she presents herself and how she sings. It is a sound I have not gotten comfortable with, but it is the dominant style of our age. Even if she doesn’t win, Angie would be really close just because the voting audience isn’t voting for purely a singer. They vote for singing only when they buy the song. I think Angie is as talented as Candice or Kree, but I understand how style preference influences talent determination.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

All three are talented (and if it is so easy to write that catchy of a tune as the one she used in Hollywood week then why isn’t everyone popping out singles?).
        All three I’m sure are working plenty hard.
        Popping out an original has gotten contestants to go down in flames and killed their chances far more than it’s helped. And why is it smart scheming if she can perform an original, but brilliant artistry if Candice re-arranges some pop or rap to R&B style?
        The Idol viewership isn’t dominated by teens these days either they said it is dominated by old southern women currently. (I don’t know what voting patterns are like and perhaps one teen can equal 50 old females in terms of actual votes cast, who knows). I see barely any evidence of younger side talking about Idol locally these days (then again I don’t even hear many of any age talk about it my region anymore, S10 was the last time I heard even a modest amount of talk about it).
        It’s different styles and you could say her “attention grabbing methods” (ok, maybe a bit of deep projecting stage acting style in her) are no more so than the hundred attention grabbing runs of Candice’s heavy R&B style (which are maybe sometimes a bit much)? Or the attention grabbing country twang when Kree starts going more that way too (which may not be everyone’s thing)? For a country audience I’m sure that twang works wonders though when she goes that direction. For loves loving the 90s R&B runs all over and then even more probably eat up every last bit. For a live audience I’m sure the stage projection of Angie maybe works a lot better than the small projection of the other two.

45. Anna says:

At this point anybody can win. I personally am rooting for Angie but I wouldn’t be upset at all if Candice or Kree won because nevertheless they all did amazing and they will have big careers ahead of them.

46. houster says:

5. Jason Castro, Season 7

4. Tamyra Gray, Season 1

3. LaToya London, Season 3

2. Alison Iraheta, Season 8

1. Chris Daughtry, Season 5

47. Vice says:

Anyone who says Amber is a better 4th then Allison needs to get their head examined…

48. Leticia Prado says:

That “Crazy in Love” version belong to the Puppini Sisters. And they did it better.

49. daynamonet says:

***spoiler alert**** i saw the theme for next week which isnt a big surprise considering its top 3 and its been the same the past several seasons. Theyre singing 3perfect songs, judges choice, jimmy iovine choice, and producers choice (last one was originally contestants choice but it changed) this is the first time the contestants wont be able to choose their songs at all. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Please weigh in with ur thoughts.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Wow, really bad, they should be given their own choice for at least one song for this crucial stage.

• MB says:

I think it is really bad that they can’t choose at least one song. If TPTB really wanted to they could really sabotage one of them. I also remember some of the crummy choices of songs the producers gave last year.

• Mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
      Not cool, not cool :(

• Mafs95 says:

In last season’s Top 3 the worst song choices were actually from the contestants (none of them had a GREAT performance, it was all level B performances). Nevertheless, I don’t think it’s right to not give one chance for the contestants to choose their songs. I hope this week doesn’t become sabotage week… I’m sorry but… PENGUIN SONG!!!!!!!!!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah too much chance to bury someone, plus if the contestant can chose something for themselves at this point maybe it’s on them, and in some years it brings great stuff, no way Haley ever gets Led Zeppelin otherwise (and that was her best, which the switched to go first that season when contestant choice used to go last). They should have let them pick this season!!

• Dadang says:

that’s not cooL….they should have at least one song of their choice…

50. Simon says:

Has anyone thought that maybe the judges just liked Amber without any producer manipulation? I don’t think it’s true that she deserved to go home this week. I usually agree with Michael about most contestants (hardcore Allison and Haley fan here!) but this season I happened to like Amber the best, and not because she was the most marketable. Even with the occasional flat note or facepalm-worthy song choice, there was something about her tone and the way she sang that I just really loved. I agree that marketability shouldn’t be a reason to support someone, but it shouldn’t be a reason to think she received undeserved praise either (although in a few cases, this was true). I’m not too upset though; Candice kicks ass and will probably get the pimp spot next week since Angie and Kree have had it the past 2 weeks.. I’ll be rooting for her. If it were up to me, Angie would go home next. Something about her is very irritating to me, and her voice is pretty one-dimensional in my opinion.

Although it won’t happen, I would like to see Keith choose songs for all three of them. To me, Keith really seems to get it in the song choice department more than anyone else.

On another note, whatever happened to Janelle’s interview? I’m starting to get withdrawal symptoms!

• dadang says:

interesting. I actually found this tweet between Curtis and Amber:

Curtis Finch: @AmberAI12 who gave you that song Ken or Nigel?!?! Sing what YOU want to sing sis! This aint no time to be playing!

Amber Holcomb: @CurtisAI12 I PICKED IT AND I HAVE NO REGRETS.

Curtis Finch: @AmberAI12 AWESOME!!!!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Well good to know she picked it (I’m assuming this is about the Pink song). People did want to her Pink. It’s a tough cover though especially when you are used to doing a lot more ballads.
        She should be proud of her run. You did have some darn impressive performances along the way although she never quite ended up breaking out and taking over the way I thought there was some chance for early on.
        Not many have had albums sell much these days who didn’t make the finale, but since Jimmy seems to believe in her so much and she may be something he better knows how to market, she might do better and get the full on support and all that not so many have.