Vampire Diaries Finale Photos: Ghosts Descend on Graduation! Plus — Look Who's About to Kiss!

Graduation day arrives on The Vampire Diaries in the Season 4 finale on May 16 (The CW, 8/7c), and the big occasion finds Mystic Falls overrun with ghosts intent on settling old scores. But based on the sneak peek below, one duo manages to sneak in a little romance amid all the pomp and circumstance.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, including The Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Castle, Elementary and More

“Caroline receives a touching and unexpected graduation present,” per the official episode description. We’re willing to bet it’s from Klaus because the frenemies look pretty darn close in the following photos. What do you think the Original got Caroline? A painting from New Orleans? A one-way ticket to the Big Easy?

Elsewhere, Damon’s got his shirt off and something on his chest is freaking Elena out.

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts/theories/predictions.

Comments (74)

• Elena’s look indicates that Damon could get a WereWolf bite! And are that the 12 witches Caro killed!?

Comment by Maki – May 1, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. He’s gonna become a human.

Comment by iMember – May 1, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And then become a werewolf. That would be an unexpected twist.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 1, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Whoa! lol That would be crazy

Comment by sls – May 1, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Isn’t lycanthropism genetic in TVD world?

Comment by LC – May 2, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes but the writers can always find ways around it. I don’t think that Damon is actually going to become a werewolf but in supernatural shows anything goes even if it didn’t “go” before.

Comment by sls – May 2, 2013 01:48 PM PDT
        • You have to be born with the werewolf gene….you can’t just become a werewolf on TVD, lol.

Comment by Emily – May 3, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they actually went to school?

Comment by Grrrrp – May 1, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not just attended, but did homework? Took a test?

Comment by henninggirl – May 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Compelled passing grades is more likely.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 1, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want to know how they managed to graduate considering they haven’t attended class much at all this year.

Comment by L – May 1, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well it really would’ve been unrealistic if any of them graduated with honors. I can buy them graduating.

Comment by Kristen – May 1, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everybody graduated in my high school. Even the ones that had F’s, they didn’t hold anyone back.

Comment by V – May 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s nice, preparing them for life. Everyone’s a winner.

Comment by dude – May 1, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Blame No Child Left Behind and numbers-based education. Low graduation rates = less government funding.

Comment by David – May 1, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They probably compelled the administration.

Comment by sara – May 1, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love caroline please send her to New Orleans “The Originals” imo that I saw today was lacking something- Caroline! Her and Klaus have been great this season. I don’t think warewolf girl & klaus are very interesting together.

Comment by laura meakin – May 1, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already have a blonde-girl-Caroline-replacement, with the blonde bartender.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 1, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damon becomes human??????????????????????????????????

Comment by queen – May 1, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now I’d be happy with this! So many places to go next season with that story.

Comment by laura meakin – May 1, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory is that the graduation gift to Caroline is that Klaus lets Tyler return, which would in turn leave her conflicted about her feelings for Klaus since he’s showing her he’s not 100% evil.

Comment by Kristen – May 1, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I was thinking Klaus was going to allow Tyler return and now there is mention of a graduation present. Makes sense to me.

Comment by sls – May 1, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NO! Tyler sucks and needs to be killed.

Comment by Russ – May 1, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol I’m not a fan of Tyler so I don’t care one way or the other. It just seemed like a logical step in the plot to me.

Comment by sls – May 1, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since Klaus makes up his mind to go to NOLA, he allows Tyler to return to Mystic Falls

Comment by Alice – May 1, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I hate Tyler though. He’s gone for half of every season! Just cut him loose. Also, Klaus is a suit. I always thought Elijah was the one with style in that family but DAMN Klaus was looking good too.

Comment by Ari – May 1, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just all take a second to talk about how sexy Ian Somerhalder is?

Comment by Babybop – May 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be illegal to be that hot.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – May 1, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just a second?

Comment by ER – May 2, 2013 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. This is definitely a conversation worth having.

Comment by cas – May 2, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Judging by her straight hair and concern for Damon, can we be hoping for an Elena with her humanity by this point???

Comment by Hazeleyes – May 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus the fact that she’s smiling while standing next to Bonnie and Caroline.

Comment by Ashlee – May 1, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was so strange given the past view episodes I thought it was the actresses posing for a photo but not in character. THen I clicked through and she looks awfully emotiony in all the shots.

Comment by Alice – May 1, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they kiss Klaroline not be removed (again) and this is not an attempt to Sting fandom (again!)

Comment by KC_TVD – May 1, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking that. Didn’t they release a promo photo for an episode awhile ago that showed him leaning in for a kiss only to have that scene not even be in the episode?

Comment by E – May 1, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can you repeat that in clear language? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Comment by Chris – May 1, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as I saw the Originals I thought that they were going to do an ‘Angel’ and bring Caroline over, simply because as large a part as Elijah and Rebekah have played they have never been series regulars, bring two tvd regulars over would mean a lot more people will be likely to tune in and Caroline is the one that makes the most sense. It worked for Angel and Cordelia and that pairing made no sense whatsoever at first. (I made this connection before the whole awful pregnancy storyline…..). I feel like Caroline serves no real purpose any more other than to judge and criticise everyone else, she used to be my favourite but this season she’s annoyed me a lot. Maybe a transfer to New Orleans will feeshen her up a bit.

Comment by katy917 – May 1, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rebekah may not be an official regular but she pretty much is in every sense that counts. She’s been present in Mystic Falls (aside from the odd daggering) since her first episode. She’s not like Elijah who comes and goes as the story dictates, she’s basically a main character.

Comment by dude – May 1, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s been in more episodes than Tyler the most useless character ever. The only thing he ever gave to TVD is Hayley the werewolf and i think we can all agree that was a big mistake.

Comment by Ari – May 2, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please move pass the Klaroline pairing? I don’t necessarily dislike Klaus, but I definitely dislike him with Caroline. She deserves much better.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – May 1, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree.

Comment by Diva – May 1, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU. I hate this pairing and I don’t get why they keep ramming it down our throats. Klaus is vile and he’s not even cute! Take away the British accent and he does nothing for me. I would much rather stare at Elijah. I find him a much more ominous villain.

Comment by Radha – May 1, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems to me that Elena has emotions again, which means she’ll probably get her humanity back in episode 4×22.

Comment by Walter – May 1, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elena has the same look on her face in most all these pics. Ugh, so sick of her. Caroline, Klaus and Tyler are the only reasons to watch this show anymore. So you think when they graduate any of them will get a job?

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 1, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD KLAROLINEEE! i cant stand at their goodbye! im not ready..they are the best thing of tvd..

Comment by SILVIA – May 1, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and I must not be watching the same show. Caroline I will agree with you. Klaus? Never.

Comment by Radha – May 1, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt and Rebekah. I like this.

Comment by Kate'shomesick – May 1, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you!!!! I Ship them so Bad!!

Comment by Lee An – May 1, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! If only Matt can cross-over to the Originals even for a few episodes. :) If Rebekah leaves Mystic Falls, at least they should give Mabekah substantial scenes together.

Comment by Rose – May 1, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not a rebekah fan. i was at first. alaric needs to be resurrected stat. this season mostly blew.

Comment by lorna – May 2, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We want Alaric! Seriously bring him back

Comment by ggny – May 1, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG KLAUS AND CAROLiNE TOGETHER iN THE LAST EPiSODE OF SEASON FOUR. GOSH i AM GOiNG TO MiSS WATCHiNG KLAUS ON THE VAMPiRE DiARiES BUT i WON’T EVER GiVE UP ON KLAROLiNE EVER. EVENTHOUGH THEY ARE GOiNG TO BE ON DiFFERENT SHOWS. KLAROLiNE iS ENDGAME!!!

Comment by MzSweetPrincess – May 1, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Comments like this make me feel like I am too old to watch this show.

Comment by Ari – May 2, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off, Damon being shirtless should happen more :) secondly, Elena looks really concerned, I do think her humanity is back! And a possible Delena moment ? I really home she picks Damon so we can have a legit Delena season. Did Damon get bit? But if he did wouldnt klaus just heal him wih his blood? This has to be something huge… So huge that Damon could possibly need “the cure” to even live and with that, Elena saves Damon and he becomes human and that’s the set up for season 5. Can’t wait for tomorrows episode as well!

Comment by Elena – May 1, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like Elena is feeling Dam

Comment by Eriyn – May 1, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like Elena is feelind Damon’s heart… Which means it is beating… Which means he’s human!!!!

Comment by Eriyn – May 1, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they really intent to end the relationship, or let’s call it magic, between Klaus and Caroline then they’re making a HUGE mistake! It’s not just their storyline that fascinates me but also the fantastic chemistry between Joseph and Candice. It’s just so magical and sparkling…. I want them to go in depth with their relationship. Not all fans are 12! I am 24 and hell they need to carry on and bring the characters to the next level… Tyler is a teenage infatuation and High School is OVER! Bring her to NOLA at the end of next season and let them grow …

Comment by Julchen – May 1, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why wasnt there pictures of matt graduating?

Comment by cristi – May 1, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt is in the third picture.

Comment by Lena – May 1, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a bunch of kids who hardly attended school, I find it a bit surprising that they are graduating

Comment by Me – May 1, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think so too… how about the under age drinking, absenteeism, no papers handed in and lack of guardian guidance? If these characters learnt anything they wouldn’t be scared of Silas, they would be scared of Me!!! My students call me the Dragon because I want know know everything… where are your parents I want to talk with them… if no parents… where is social services and your foster parents…why did you skip that lecture that you HAD to ATTEND TO PASS THIS CLASS, and why are you hung over from drugs or drink??? Besides that I am very charming but really bossy. When they graduate with good marks, they come back and thank me!!! Oh yeah… I have to watch these shows to keep up with the gossip… how else do I come up with an angle to all their conversations… and nope I am not 12 or 24.
      Well done writers… not many shows hold my interest when I am supposed to be grading papers!!

Comment by Ronnie – May 5, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaroline!!!!!! Not even shirtless Damon can pull me away from that maybe kiss photo. She has to be on the originals, just has to be……

Comment by Brenna – May 1, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The anticipation for this season finale is LITERALLY hurting me but the klaroline moment looks like its gonna be a kiss on the cheek not lips :’(

Comment by nikki – May 1, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree it will probz be a kiss on the cheek and she will close her eyes or something you will hear the sound that vampires make when they are fast and he won’t be there when she opens her eyes. Like the Damon and Ellen’s thing in season two when he tells her how he feels kiss her on the cheek and makes her forget.

Comment by Hess – May 5, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elena looks.. normal? in these photos.. Nothing about Stefan? Poor thing.

Comment by Norah – May 1, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see how this whole thing is going to play out. Elena is not going to choose Stefan or Damon. In fact, I would be she blames Damon for losing her humanity and hurting all those people. What I am curious about is if Damon does get the cure, how does it happen? And lastly, how come when I was in high school there were not good looking guys like this around? Damn Hollywood always giving me unrealistic expectations of men.

Comment by cas – May 2, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • $10 says Elena utters the phrase, “It’s Stefan, it will always be Stefan!”

Comment by Ari – May 2, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m gonna punch this show in the face if that happens lol

Comment by sls – May 2, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I once adored tvd but this season has all been a little tedious and desperate at times. Unlike the past seasons there has been little that has once kept me on episode by episode tenta-hooks to casual watching for the ‘sake of it all’ now. If that. Needless to say I have some faith and hope that maybe the show can once more regain its ‘sparkle’.

Comment by L.A – May 2, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they almost have to give Elena the cure because, although predictable, it will be the only sure way to rise above this less-than-stellar season. Elena is not likable as a vampire . . . even with her humanity.

Comment by Amphipolis Angel – May 2, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her now that she has a focus: to kill Katherine. I’m not saying I want Katherine dead…but I badly want to see these two face off, as vampires.

Comment by Emily – May 3, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After pulling off such a great stunt at pairing Klaroline in Season 3 & 4.. it wud make no sense for writers to just let the pairing dissolve coz of some twist. That would just be criminal. Won’t do any good to the show. Moreover, Klaroline shippers may jus keep watchin the show hoping for the pairing to happen at some point. Not fair at all !!

Comment by Klarolinefan – May 3, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why won’t klaroline just get together already :(. I hope that Caroline breaks up with Taylor and slowly gets with klaus and moves the originals so that it isn’t sudden for tvd but klaus and her get together anyway. Also I hope that Hayley dies probz something is an issue giving birth and she gives her life for the baby or something (think darla in angel) and klaus has to be the dad. Maybe that’s what brings Caroline to the originals klaus ask for her help.

Comment by Jess – May 5, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post