The Following Season Finale Recap: Boom Goes the Denouement [Updated]

The Following Season 1 Finale Recap The following recap contains spoilers for the season finale of The Following. If you haven’t watched yet, be gone! Everyone else, read on…

Remember the The Following‘s pilot, when a really evil, highly intelligent man slayed several prison guards in his intricately planned scheme to break free? Remember how shocking it was when one of his spindly limbed female followers showed up and shishkebabbed her own eyeball just to ensure that a note of terror would ring in the FBI’s ear for as long as her idol was alive?

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

That version of The Following was scary because it gave off a sense that nothing was safe, that evil was better, smarter and faster than us, and that it lay in wait absolutely everywhere: In short, there was no haven from The Raven. This week’s season capper is just as expertly acted (if not more so) than the season premiere, but the fright it conveys is derived from jumpy moments of shock instead of the all-encompassing dread the series so beautifully built in its first outings.

Will that type of fear be as compelling in the series’ second season? And will our protagonist even be around to find out? Let’s review what went down in the season finale, “The Last Chapter.”

DEB IN A BOX | As Ryan’s peering out the sheriff’s office window, a kid wearing a Poe mask approaches the building and is stopped by an officer. For reasons I cannot fathom, no one makes the twerp take off the rubber mask until Ryan and Mike come outside – and even then, it doesn’t happen fast enough. Guys, this is the exact mask you saw in the followers’ hideout! Who’s to say that’s not just a really short insane-o? When the mask comes off, the kid inside tells them a woman named Emma gave him $20 to wear it to the station. Ryan finds a number written on the inside; when he calls it, Debra answers, because the followers left her a cell phone when they buried her alive.

She, understandably, is NOT OKAY about being interred by nutjobs in the middle of nowhere. Ryan asks a series of soothing questions to try to discern her location; Mike guesses she has, at best, five hours’ worth of air. Hardy, Weston and some backup ride off to where the followers’ car has been found. Soon after they arrive, though, Ryan realizes it’s a set-up… and that’s when Alex the follower begins shooting at the group. Hardy eventually creeps up on the sniper and stops him, then informs Captain Turner (you’ll remember him as the man who did not want Ryan connected to the case in any way) that they’ll transport Alex in their car. Unspoken by Ryan: “Because we’re going to beat the poo out of him until he gives up Debra’s location.” Actually spoken by Turner: “Do what you need to do.”

TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE | Once they get him to an abandoned warehouse or something of the sort, Alex’s “I’ll never tell” ends the moment a lead pipe hits his legs and Ryan’s thumb enters his eye socket. (Ick. I will never get used to the eye trauma on this show.) Alex sings like it’s the Knockout Rounds, and as Ryan and Mike are on their way to the location he gives them, they talk to Debra again. She weakly asks her colleagues to tell her sister and parents that she loves them, then tells Mike “you’re a good man, don’t lose that” and informs Ryan “This is not on you… I am not your fault.” Mike is nearly crying as he promises that they’re almost there, which makes me love him all the more.

At the site, Alex watches while Mike and Ryan dig to save Deb. (Side note: Did anyone else think, from the way things were going, that this was going to be a fake-out site, with Deb actually languishing elsewhere?) But no, she’s actually in the crate – and she’s not breathing. For the love of God, will someone call for an ambulance or backup or anything? I’d settle for a well-outfitted AAA truck at this point. Ryan does about two seconds of CPR on his boss before deciding it’s a lost cause. Both men weep as Alex watches with a smile on his face, calling Deb’s death a “bummer.” His snarking is the only incentive Ryan needs to walk over and put a bullet through the acolyte’s forehead – woah – and then (nicely) threaten to shoot Mike if he tries to follow. See, the followers slipped a copy of Joe’s manuscript into the box with Debra, and Ryan knows exactly where he’s going.

TO THE LIGHTHOUSE | After a brief rendezvous with Emma that ends in him being drugged, Ryan wakes in a house near a lighthouse on the small island where Joe is keeping Claire. Earlier, we saw Joe’s ex needling him about his literary overkill (“It’s a motif, Claire” was my favorite part of that exchange) and meeting another captive, a poor guy who was hired to bring a boat to the island and then was hobbled so he couldn’t run. I’d care more about getting you that guy’s name if Joe hadn’t stabbed him violently in an odd bid to make Claire realize that she wasn’t responsible for the deaths of Joe’s college-student victims. “I earned them. I own them. They are mine,” he asserts.

Anyway, Joe’s still drinking and taking pain pills as he quizzes Ryan on when he first fell in love with Claire… and somehow turns it that Ryan was kinda sorta in love with Joe, too. It’s an interesting hypothesis, and not without basis: Whether it was romantic or just brotastic, Ryan looked quite happy the night that Joe invited him in for a drink, remember? I just wish it had been explored more before Joe was a sweating, half-drunk, whacked out loon with a gaping wound full of silverware festering underneath his natty turtleneck.

There’s lots of back-and-forth and Claire-threatening before Ryan manages to grab Joe’s gun and chase him out into the night. The men eventually do battle in a boathouse full of combustible materials; soon after a bullet pierces a fuel tank, the structure is aflame. Joe and Ryan exchange one last look before the place collapses, ostensibly killing Carroll. Yay?

The next morning, Mike and the FBI are on the scene. Dental records and DNA say the partial remains that have been recovered are Joe, but both Claire and Ryan look wary. He takes her back to Brooklyn, where they’re allowed exactly one relieved kiss before Molly breaks in and slices Ryan, outing herself as a follower as she tells him “You were always my chapter.” Claire exits the shower and finds Hardy gasping for air on the floor… then soon she’s down beside him after Molly stabs her, too! And… bloody scene!

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Are you wondering what happened to Ryan’s alcoholism and heart problems? Do you think Ryan and/or Claire will make it through to Season 2? And the biggie: Is Joe really dead? Grade the episode via the poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Daisy says:

Joe is not dead. That other random guy had to be there for a reason, to pose as Joe’s dead body obviously.

I liked the finale, though I’m sad Deborah was killed. Now I cannot wat wait to find out what season 2 has in store.

• Maria says:

Ausielo has Joe listed as a fatality, NOT a possible fatality, on his May Sweeps Scorecard. And no way am I watching next season without him. I loved to hate this guy and it’s just not going to be the same without Joe Carroll.

2. Sshah says:

Thought the same thing about the brief attempt at CPR. And why did they think it would be safe to go back to his place??? Really?? Just leave the knife on the table?? Really??????

3. Susan says:

Where is Jack Bauer???

4. kirads09 says:

I don’t believe for one moment that Joe is dead. Remember he got fixated while watching Molly’s recording (not on the sex) but on Ryan telling Molly “Can’t kill me if I’m already dead”. Joe played that several times over. I think at that very moment Joe started planning to fake his own death. Also when Joe was crouching down in that spot in the burning building it seemed like very “fake” moaning and screaming. The forensics were doctored by one of the followers to seal the deal. When Ryan first sees Emma, I was hoping that would be her end as well but – no. She just annoys me now. I am so sad about Debra – I really was thinking they would get to her just in time and have one little positive outcome. Is Turner a follower? I am wondering now.
    It didn’t go in the direction I suspected, but can’t wait for Season 2! If it were in my power, Purefoy would get an Emmy.

5. Lena says:

Stopped watching this show a while ago and after reading the first couple of sentences of this recap I’m glad I did. This show has gotten so ridiculous and absurd it’s beyond salvageable.

6. Joe says:

Saw the ending a mile away ever since the nurse was introduced , I don’t think joe , Ryan and Claire is dead, after season 2 the show should end because it was running on fumes near the end of this season

7. Babygate says:

The ending was unpredicatable. You don’t normally expect all the leads in the show to be dead or that close to dead. But I wasn’t crazy about that turn. It felt like it was done more for the shock value. Especially when you consider that Ryan was dumb enough to NOT lock the door after the guy delivered the food (which was the clear indicator that something was going to happen) and that the apartment was dark, which appears to be the way the producers seem to prefer having the action unfold. The darkness as a tool for suspense is getting too predicatable. I challange them to create the same type of tension and suspense in the daylight. Was not happy that they killed Debra off. As far as Joe, I hope he stays dead, but he probably won’t and THAT will be predictable. I think Emma would make a more interesting villain. Joe likes to kill but he has some vulnerabilities that humanize his otherwise reprehensible and sick nature. Emma, on the other hand, was willing to kill Jacob at a second’s notice. There is a cold-blooded quality to her that is really eerie. She’s more detached, less human than Joe. The only person that can affect her is Joe and I think part of that is because he represents everything she wants to be. I don’t think she’s as logistically savvy and she’s much more instinctual as opposed to calculating, but that makes her even more dangerous because she’s undisciplined and irrational. Anywho, it would be interesting to see where they take this next season…

8. Magically Suspicious says:

1. I definitely thought Deb’s location was going to be a fake-out. But, it couldn’t be because they wanted her to be found with the manuscript and Joe knew that Ryan would put a bullet in Alex without hesitating if he played games and didn’t take them to her. I was surprised that Deb actually died though.

2. I 100% thought they’d bury Alex in Deb’s box. At least for a few quiet hours.

3. The ‘previously on The Following…’ referenced Molly, so obviously she was going to be relevant to this episode, but I had completely forgotten about her. It was a good ‘Gotcha!’ moment for me.

I’m excited for season 2.

9. Midori says:

This show is a disaster, I question if I’m watching the same show as some other people are. The cult isn’t smarter than anyone, the FBI was just dumber than the dirt they were walking on.

I guess no one payed attention to last week’s episode where Joe kept going on about faking death, how faking a death would be great for his story. Joe is alive, his death was faked.

They could have found a body that Joe stuck there, and that someone in the FBI who is working with him then changed his files.

10. Dave says:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that Mike Weston is Follower. He is almost killed but not several times and remember when they were tracking the phone call from Joey when Emma had him at the farm house. When the first hit came up as to a possible location, Mike argued that it was an echo and not the real origin of the call and went on to say it would take hours to sift through the data to find the right location. Ryan knew right away that was the location and yet Mike was adamant that it wasn’t. Sure he seems to be the good guy in every show but there is something off about how he keeps escaping. I think he will turn out to be the ultimate Follower. After all, he did his thesis on Joe Carroll. (Episode 1)

• Magically Suspicious says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! But it does fit. Damn you.

• Dave says:

Add the fact that the other followers were waiting for him in his hotel when he was suspended from the FBI for hacking his bosses E-mail. Just how did they know he would be coming back to his hotel so early in the day? And he texted someone after he spotted Riddick. But who? He knew he would be stopped by the other cops because he didn’t have his FBI jacket on or credentials out. He is the variable that will only play out in the last episode in the series I think.

• Wilbur says:

Hmmmmmmmmm… Interesting point! I thought Debra might be one of them but, Mike Westin! Wow! we will have to wait and see.

11. Joe says:

The ending was very predictable Joe is not dead , the body is the guy he killed in front of Claire ( who could be a cult member ) I knew the crazy neighbor was going to so something at the end , the only one I like on the show was agent Parker , and she’s dead hope it ends next season , because it was running on fumes near the end of this season

12. NCSouthernBelle says:

James Purefoy is the only reason I watch this show. I don’t think Joe’s dead, but if he is, I’m done.

13. Anna says:

I’m just glad Mike survived, seeing as my other two favourites got killed off. But that’s what you get for liking the psychopath-not-so-gay-or-maybe-gay-after-all-serial-killers… *siigh* Anyway – go Mike!

• Mike says:

Im beginning to think that mike is a follower, he has dodged to many bullets. The guy has like 9 lives on this show in which people are dying left and right. The fact that he didnt even try cpr or question why ryan gave up so fast on giving cpr on parker raised eyebrows to me plus the sniper just so happened to miss when trying to shot him also and the look on his face when ryan shot the follower in his head made me think he is playing for the other team.I believe in season 2 its going to come out that he is a follower and that will be part of the cliffhanger with joe also still being alive.

14. Tina B. says:

This finale was awesome, Kevin Bacon was right when he said it would be emotional. I don’t believe Joe is dead and I don’t want him dead, I like the cat and mouse banter between him and Ryan. I don’t see the chemistry or anything between Ryan and Claire, maybe cause she spent 3/4 of the season being mad at him and an idiot running away from him to Joe. Maybe they could try Emma as the big bad villain now and bring Joe “back” if she fails but I hate her. What was the purpose of killing Jacob, I still don’t get it, is that supposed to make us feel sorry for Emma? I would like to see more of Claire and Joe before he was a psycho and a weird thing, before Joe asked Claire when she knew he was killing things? lol I was wondering when was the exact moment that Joe snapped and became a psycho? Joe will still be around in flashbacks but we will see if Emma can carry on. I wanted Emma dead and Joe to live. Then again, if Emma died, Joe wouldn’t care and wouldn’t grieve it but Emma now that Joe is dead? Well you guys have seen her, the revenge she would seek could be more violent and sadistic than Joe ever was. I already think Emma is more psycho than Joe anyways. I love Mike!

15. marie says:

There are many aspects of this show that are annoying, but one that particularly gets to me (and that I don’t know whether anyone has mentioned before) are the absolutely lame recaps that open the show every week. First, WHY at the season finale are they STILL recapping the very foundation of the show from the first episode, i.e., that Joe Carroll is this serial killer, etc., etc. – anyone who doesn’t already know that is not watching the season finale! Second, referencing Molly in the recap: really irritating way to completely telegraph what she eventually did in the final moments of the episode! Like, Hey, remember her? Well watch out for her here…! Really stupid.

• NCSouthernBelle says:

THIS. I have never understood why shows insist on sabotaging their own biggest twists by alluding to people and events they have deliberately tried to get viewers to forget about. It just kills the shock value of the whole story.

16. derdik says:

You guys, when Ryan got the call that confirmed Joes death, dont you think he might have lied to Clair when she asked “is he dead?”. i think he said yes just to calm her down and not worry.So you guessed it Joe is not dead especially with all the water around the house. Plus that last look he gave from the flames it was weird looking…hmmm say hes bak in a disfigure way.

17. Kevin/Colorado says:

I think the vast majority of viewers would have liked to see Debra survive the burial, and then stare down the psycho-dude near her burial site, as that dude was headed for a lifetime of misery in prison. Instead the plotline was totally lame. They get there about 60 seconds too late, and then Ryan puts a bullet through Alex’s head eliminating any hard prison time and possible death row situation. Deb could have been written out of season 2 even if she was still alive. And my biggest problem with the show is that Deb and all of law enforcement is portrayed as the biggest bunch of incompetent people in the history of humanity! After the Boston Marathon bombings, they had 10,000+ searching for the bombers and protecting the public! In THE FOLLOWING, everytime you would expect 2 dozen or 50 or 100 agents to be involved at a critical site, they have about a half-dozen or less, and the bad guys kill good guys while slipping away! RIDICULOUS!! Every attempt at a safehouse was a dismal failure including Ryan’s place at the end. Wouldn’t Ryan be smart enough to figure out that he needed extra-special precautions to protect Claire’s life and his own? And think back to the 2nd prison escape. Wouldn’t you want about a dozen trusted agents to witness Joe loaded into the transport vehicle? (some riding elbow-to-elbow with him) Instead the bumbling FBI agents were protecting an empty vehicle while the lawyer just drives a mass-murderer out of prison.
    I know it’s just as ridiculous as the plotlines in Jack Bauer’s 24, but 24 was a superb show because of the fascinating characters and totally unexpected plot twists.

18. MaryAnn says:

Does anyone know if they filmed this episode before or after they found out they were renewed? It occurred to me that they might have planned to leave off the final stabbings and give some degree of closure if the show was not coming back.

19. MaryAnn says:

As someone who has never seen one of Williamson’s serial killer movies, I found the ending to be superb, suspenseful, and full of surprises. And it has been YEARS since I have been so on the edge of my seat to know which actors will be returning for next season, so we will know who actually died! Here’s hoping that they find a way to give a really good twist to the premise to next season, without killing off all the current stars!

20. mike c says:

Boy that is one of the worst shows I’ve ever committed to. Good riddance. It will have to be reconfigured a lot better for me to watch it again. It’s a shame because Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy are such great actors to watch.

21. Tracy says:

I really liked Claire in this episode. She came across as so tired of all of it. The matter of fact attitude she had with Joe was well played and written fantastically. Joe had to have faked his own death. All of those explosive materials in the boathouse, the extra body, and the “you can’t kill me, I’m already dead” from last weeks episode seems to set it all up. I’m looking forward to seeing where Kevin Williamson and Co take it next season. Should be entertaining.

22. Follower of The Following says:

Ok, I’ve read a LOT of these comments/theories and have realized that most of you want this show to be like every other clichéd, tired BS from other shows ( twin sister, Joe isn’t dead, etc.) So far, Kevin Bacon is the only actor confirmed for the 2nd season, but the idea of Emma and Holly taking over would be awesome. C’mon – women running a cult to continue Joe’s vision – and what exactly is that? He never explained to ANYONE what this was for other than to get Claire and Joey back. Roderick realized it was all a bunch of s**t. All Joe did is what all cult leaders do – brainwash and bulls**t their followers, but their only agenda is for themselves, as Jacob started to realize before his throat was slit. Anyway, can’t wait for the second season, although it probably wont happen until next year.

• marie says:

Intriguing speculations and I like where you’re going with this! As I mentioned elsewhere, yes, it WOULD be something different to have a woman or women as the cult leader(s)! And I agree that Emma is quite plausible as such a character. She could be even more ruthless and bloodthirsty than Joe was (I think he’s dead, and agree it would be totally cliched if he’s not); it could be her grisly “coming of age” horror story…yes, in a gruesome sort of way, that would be delightful.

• Mary Carlson says:

Okay,no one would follow Emma. Joe is handsome and charismatic. Most of his cult members ,male and female, wanted to sleep with him. There is no show without him . The show could easier continue with Ryan dead with his sidekick continuing the search. Cops are ten a penny. Someone like Joe Carroll, in any incarnation, is rare.

23. That Guy Over There says:

So I guess we’re just going to ignore that Ryan killed a suspect unprovoked 10 feet from a crime scene.. Any idea how they’re going to explain that.. Oh and of course FBI agents just stand there and watch that happen all the time right?

I watched the finale since I’d been ‘Following’ the show to see how absurd it could get. I won’t be back for season 2, the pilot started strong, but it went downhill before a brief recovery and a ridiculous finale. Terrible writing, worse timeline/continuity problems and just overall a weak show.

24. kethabb1 says:

so when they found out Deb’s location, didn’t Ryan call Turner with the information? why did Turner and crew go back to the office? why was it only two people (again) heading over Deb’s location? this bugged me to no end. so they learned of the location and go “ok let’s go back to the office and let those other two handle it”. wtf? and didn’t Deb know she had a cell before Ryan called? couldn’t she have used it earlier?. this show has been more irritating than anything. I found myself not caring. and not coming back next season.

• tripoli says:

The others were also on route but were 45 minutes away. Hardy and Weston were much closer. The cell phone was obviously left by the followers, hence the phone number on the Poe mask on the kid that showed up at the station. It was all part of the game Joe was playing with Ryan.

• kethabb1 says:

ok..granted they were 45 minutes away but why did they go back to the office? at least Turner was back at the office when everyone was listening to Deb’s final words. why did he go back to the office? assuming others with him went back. as for the phone, yes I understand it was left by the followers but it was next to her, doesn’t mean she can’t pick it up and use it before anyone calls her. it’s a small coffin, not like it was across the hall or in a secret compartment. when it rang it was right next to her.

25. Donna says:

I think the series would have been better if it had been done as a one season only show. I really hate how some shows belabor an idea or premise season after season. I loved watching “The Killing” on AMC, but one season was enough. Same here. I think they could have taken more risks & done a better written show if it was a one off. Next season will be more of the same idea, which was good first time around.

26. Eve says:

I think that the final episode of this season was okay but the show is kind of annoying. i don’t feel the chemistry between Ryan and Claire even though Ryan is supposed to be in love with her. Also i find that it is to be invested in any of the characters, except Joe because of JP, maybe it is because you don’t know how long they will last, but its probably also because it is hard to identify with most of them, (because they are psycho). But with others they’re just not that interesting. It is probably the writers fault, I have seen some pretty dumb stuff in this show that should not have been written. P.S. Claire could have gotten away if she and that couple had stolen the cop car or at least radioed for help after Emma and Jake left. P.P.S. I think that Emma might be pregnant. P.P.P.S Joe is not dead, or at least he is not off the show yet because i heard that James Purefoy signed on for another season.

27. jane says:

Actually that is a great idea about joe’s son being like him as a grown up, maybe that will come into the story at a later date. I do not think joe is dead…I hate to admit that he is my favourite character, the programme would be unthinkable without him.

28. Beverly Bartos says:

I love First-Class Show ”The Following” – Thriller/Cult.;!!!!(!)
    OATH EXTREME AWESOME FAN “THE FOLLOWING”.;!!!!(!)

29. Sheldon W. says:

This show started out with such promise and just got so damned silly. I think the shark moment was when Claire went back to Joe of her own free will after being rescued, and since then, it’s been a fatality waiting to happen.

Last night it did.

I’m done.

30. maryann says:

the best series this year, so glad they renewed it. joe was the best part of the show, so he has to be back, or else i’m gone.

31. sarah says:

Joe is not dead.
    I think Claire and Ryan will live too.

32. Rocky says:

This was bull! The story was supposed to end this year.That’s what we were told even by Kevin Bacon. I am disgusted by what happened. It will never end now, until ratings drop, and they will.

33. Morisot says:

You don’t think he is going to wake up in a sweat and find out half of it was [only] a nightmare?

PS – The lighthouse is the one on Fire Island/Cap Tree on Long Island.

34. Dianne L. says:

Severely injured, horribly scared from the fire, plausible, in hiding somewhere nursed back to psyco health by Emma, maybe, yes she was in was seen wearing a bad disquise, crying, I am sure she will be clued in for the re-write. Without the main characters iJoe, Ryan and Claire, the story is over. I won’t waste my time watching if either of them are gone.

35. Leonie says:

From the mind of Kevin Williamson comes the most predictable (and so boring that I skipped through it) finale EVER. Why hadn’t FBI Agent Deborah gone through Kill Bill training and punched her way out of that coffin? As soon as the whole chase to find Joe began it was obvious that Joe wouldn’t be killing Ryan nor Claire (orphan child is boring) and if we go back a few episodes to remember that Joe promised Molly her chapter of killing Ryan it was obvious there was going to be a faux happy ending. It’s in the rule book of thrillers, lure your audience into a false sense of security and then bam bring back another killer you had ‘forgotten’ about. I mean where season 2 will be going hell if I know, and yes I’ll probably be watching simply because I HATE the show so much I NEED to see what idiotic storylines happen next.

36. kathy says:

I saw the ending coming when Ryan and Joe were running towards the boat house. So it was pretty predictable. And I’m certain Joe busted through the floor and fell into the water before the building exploded. He was always two steps ahead of Ryan. I thought it was a little overkill to stab both Ryan and Claire. Fairly certain neither of them will die. They are two of the 3 main characters. Felt bad that they didn’t try harder to revive Deb, but I guess someone on the team had to die. Was sucked in by the show so I had to watch to see what happened at the finale. Was just a bit disappointed. Will most likely watch when it returns, though the show is pretty gory and evil.

37. Jeri says:

Carroll isn’t dead, Ryan, and Claire will recover and kill Emma and the story goes on

38. Jeri says:

Carroll isn’t dead, Ryan, and Claire will recover and kill Molly
    and the story goes on

39. Jeffrey Herron says:

I believe that Claire was the original killer of the girls, joe is deranged and believes thatbhes to blame. The conversation between the two when Claire says the deaths are her fault leads me to think this.

40. Okay, so why wasn’t EVERY VISITOR to Joe when he was in prison checked out. One would think there would be pictures, a log, something. Obviously Ryan’s neighbor was there several times, yet Ryan is too stupid and just trusts everyone, even though in the first episode, it was the neighbors who killed the surviving Joe victim. This is a glaring failure on Ryan et al part.

Do they do that on purpose, so we feel “smarter” than the characters, or is it just sloppy writing, not doing the obvious?

41. pgs says:

What if claire is the ultimate mastermind behind all of this? have they looked into her background? what joe carrol was true to what he was, but was predictable…and claire is not..?

42. Tom B says:

pilot good. rest of the season horrible. dumbest FBI agents I ever heard of. everything completely predictable. too long and dragged out. too bad, I like K Bacon, but, really? this was a real disappointment for me. I kept watching hoping it would get better or at least be satisfying, but, no, it just seems like a 10 year old is writing it.

43. Eve says:

Does anyone else think that in the episode before the finale Claire and the couple from the house should have hidden in the woods near the house and waited for Emma and Jake to leave and then gone over and taken the cop car? I mean they knew someone was at the door and got shot but the person or people obviously did not walk there so they could have gotten away and called for help. running into the woods with no plan and no phone was just stupid.

44. George Wells says:

I followed this show and was disturbed by the BUMBLING of the good guys vs. the maybe brilliance of the bad guys. After a while I capitulated to thinking that THE FOLLOWING was a slap stick comedy, with the FBI being Keystone Cops. However subsequently the show did not even be consistent enough to serve that purpose.

45. Bernie Domigan says:

This is one of the most ridiculous drama series I’ve ever watched. The Keystone Cops were more professional than these FBI nitwits. I found myself wishing for Claire to be killed just to shut her up. If these bozos are representative of the FBI then God help America. I certainly won’t be watching any more.

46. jeezy says:

The FBI and Hardy do so many stupid things on this show, but the WORST is that ending.

He took her back to his apartment with no backup, and let his guard down when they KNEW there were still a whole gang of followers (including Emma!) roaming around the area. Let’s just open the door, completely unarmed, and be sure to put the knife down to investigate that strange noise. No safe house? No guards? No attempt to flush out the remaining killers swimming in the frenzy of Joe’s final scene?

Amazing cast, solid acting, characters with far more promise than the scripts delivered… but that writing… ach, worse than Joe’s novels. Maybe they can reboot in season 2 (with different writers) but season 1 is one long unfulfilled aspiration wrapped inside one long unfulfilled aspiration: hack-ception.

47. Azazel13 says:

Pathtic trope writing. Has tv really come to this? What next? The evil twin? Oh no. Wait. Mike is the secret member. No. Wait. Ryan is really in love with Joe. God. What utter crap. One season of crap. Unbelievable plot twists that exceed the suspension of disbelief. I am out!

48. Kate says:

I really want Claire to be alive! The whole Ryan/Claire/Joe is a great dynamic I really don’t want them to lose. Especially because of the Ryan and Claire relationship.

49. Clint says:

Just watched this pathetic, derivative series on Netflix. A few brief observations (believe me, I could go on for pages):
    1. Ryan. Here’s an idea: since you’re giving up your gun every five minutes to baddies, how about carrying a backup in an ankle holster? Idiot.
    2. Why, when the big crime scenes are surrounded by legions of cops, does it take them like three hours to show up once the shooting starts? Idiots.
    3. If you’re buried in a box with a cellphone, how about turning on the GPS and phoning in your location to the search party. Instead – cops scurrying around, overracting, poking out eyes and such when VZ Navigator would have had their buddy out of the box in about ten minutes. Idiots.
    Bad writing, ludicrous scenarios, moronic decisions by half-witted cops, cop response time delays that made no sense, and Kevin Bacon’s annoying nostrils just stole about ten hours from my life. I want them back.