Castle Recap: 'Did You See the Hearts?'

Get More: Recaps

Castle Recap Season 5 Beckett BombThis week, ABC’s Castle used Season 5′s “bonus” episode to deliver what series creator Andrew W. Marlowe hoped was “the best clip show television has ever seen.” So… was it?

RELATED | Castle Creator Teases ‘Emotional Cliffhanger’ Finale That Sets Up a ‘Complicated’ Season 6

The premise: While chasing a mad bomber, Beckett unwittingly triggers a pressure-sensitive bombing mechanism, forcing her to stand still for an indeterminate amount of time. To help distract Kate from the dire sitch, Rick stuck around and peppered her with questions about their time together as partners both professional and personal. Annnnnd cue flashbacks galore.

PHOTOS | Castle Season 5 Finale First Look — Rick and Kate Face Questions About the Future

Some notable lines/moments from the fresh scenes; please use comments to chime in with others:

* “Did you see the hearts…?”

* “If I had to be stuck not standing on a bomb, then I’m glad I’m stuck with you.”

* “Remember how that turned out?” — Kate, after Rick suggests to the bomb squad that they try “the old Indiana Jones/bag of sand/golden idol trick.”

* Rick pausing a montage of Kate’s naughty bon mots because “I was momentarily distracted by your dizzying array of hairstyles over the years.” And Kate capping said montage with: “I can’t help it if you get off by putting things in my mouth.”

* Part of the fun was revisiting Castle‘s huge array of guest stars over the years. Who knew that Dallas bad girl Julie Gonzalo had once been on?

* Esposito putting Kate and Rick on speakerphone, then tuning out, as they compare notes over who made whom jealous.

* Caskett’s shared dubbing of Martha Interruptus as “the scariest [experience] of all.”

* How fun was the montage of them speaking at same time? But for pure emotion, my favorite montage may have been the Beckett’s Greatest Hits one narrated by Captain Montgomery.

* “Always.”Castle Beckett I Love You

* “Oh for heaven’s sake, detective, just kiss the man!” — Captain Gates, putting to rest that burning question (and then adding for good measure, “He deserves it.”)

But of course, no above moment compares to those four little words, delivered with Stana Katic’s take-no-prisoners simultaneous double tear: “Rick. I love you.” (Though “I think we’re just getting started” could run a close-ish second.)

What did you think of “Still”? Is it odder than ever that this was to run before “Squab and the Quail,” which opened with Rick acting so indifferent to his lady love? And while I can’t say I have a great recollection of “clip shows” from Happy Days and the like, yeah, this one was incredibly entertaining. And the bombing case was pretty intense and well-paced, though the eventual cracking of the code was a bit of a stretch.

Tags: ,

Comments (171)

• Loved the episode. It is hard to pick a favorite out of all the flashbacks but I think I laughed the most during Castle’s story weaving while figuring out the crimes. “Killer’s a zombie!” (high five). hahahaha :)

Comment by Kim R – April 30, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flawless. This episode was flawless!

Comment by Erin – April 30, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle does a “clip show” better than most normal shows do original episodes. Episode was perfect. I do wonder where the events (Becketss ILY and Gates reveal) would have taken place had this episode not been added.

Comment by Andrea – April 30, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If someone is willing to be your “bomb buddy”…that is true love.

Comment by Maria – April 30, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a great, great episode – loved the “trip down memory lane” …. all of the hairstyles & clothes Stana has worn over the course of the 5 seasons, wow! To me, the BEST quote of the night was Captain Gates telling Kate …. “Oh for heaven’s sake, detective, just kiss the man!” No, Gates is not an idiot – she has seen how they have felt about each other – she knew the diamond earrings that ended up in her coat pocke,t during the Valentine’s Day episode, were not intended for her. Gates had to do her job when she called Rick into her office to alert him to watch himself with Kate when on the job. I really like it when they call each other by their first names instead of by their last all the time. When on personal time, I would really like it if they referred to each other as Rick & Kate. Makes their personal relationship feel like a relationship instead of always feeling like they are “on the job.”

Comment by soxfan – April 30, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Clip. Show. Ever! I loved the ‘dizzying array of hairstyles.’ And I stand by my comment that Nathan deserves an Emmy for what he has presented us with this season and last. This clip show just reinforces that. This is a great show with a great cast and some really excellent writers and producers. They obviously have a very clear idea of what they want to do and how to move the story forward. Love it! Now I can ‘t wait to get Season 5 on DVD.

Comment by jennifer – April 30, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad someone else sees the acting chops of Nathan Fillion. His facial expressions during the exchange with Gates were epic. Especially liked the moment after Gates said the ‘not many men’ comment. How do actors get such honest expressions on their faces? I’ve seen that expression on my hubby’s face, that I’m in love look. Stana Katic was great when she was showing Kate trying to keep it together on the bomb. The tiny movements that conveyed the inner fear that Beckett was trying to control. And the goodbye scene, wow.

Comment by Wendykw – April 30, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching the episode, I’m disappointed that its airing was delayed at all. Yes, there was reference to bombs, but there were no explosions or depictions of violence or carnage. It fact, with the exception of the few snippets of Kate’s shooting, it was probably the least violent episode of Castle ever. Overall, it was very positive & upbeat. I think it SHOULD have been shown as originally scheduled.

Comment by Doug – April 30, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ironically after all that concern the episode that most mirrored Boston’s events aired that very week on TNT. There’s sensitivity and hypersensititivity.

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 30, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, we are talking about an episode that airs once every three weeks (47 Seconds) compared to 24 hours that networks spent on talking about the Boston bombings. Repeating video and photos of the death, the destruction and the injuries.

It should come down to personal choice. And if you can’t make that choice, then you shouldn’t be watching TV.

Comment by Squintern – May 1, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you RICK, was my favorite line of the episode! I love Castle and how he is truly a nice guy. A loving single dad, a great son, a generous friend. He loves Beckett and is good to her. Why wouldn’t she say she loves him? Great episode and I hope the writers can keep the chemistry and continue to move the show forward without resorting to the same old “break them up” tricks.

Comment by zoot – April 30, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode!!!

Comment by Guadalupe – April 30, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an okay/good clip show — but Stargate did the BEST clip shows!

Comment by Morisot – April 30, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone notice that even though Gates now admits to knowing what it was pretty obvious she knew at least since “Target”, she has to maintain plausible deniability? That means that Caskett may still have to stick to handshakes in the precinct and Beckett can’t sport a ring if she gets one. That will provide some bumps in the road and obviously if they go public with an engagement or a marriage they would not be able to work together.That is a challenge. From a realistic standpoint it is very unlikely that Beckett would accept any offers in DC. The contracts of the actors still have a year to go, new sets cost money as do the shots of buildings and such. Beckett and Castle will be in the 12th, wrestling with whatever problems they have. Castle was a winner in last night’s ratings – for a show shot in 3 days. That is pretty amazing. I would imagine that that will sit favorably with ABC. Let’s hope we see renewal soon.

Comment by Sally Ramsey – April 30, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show uses stock footage of NYC! I’m fairly certainly they can purchase stock footage of DC and change a few sets around — no more than what they’d do for any other ordinary episode. LOL.

Comment by Squintern – April 30, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not to mention the horrible green screen “Paris” with NF in Hunt.

Comment by DarkDefender – April 30, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He came back! And brought coffee!

That would have been a perfect season or even series finale. Great job to all involved, especially Nathan and Stana, who were perfect in tone and delivery. And Robert Duncan’s piano melody toward the end deserves a shout out as well. THAT is how you do a clip show. You make it so well done that the audience doesn’t even realize they are watching a clip show until halfway thru.

Comment by Lisa – April 30, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Always” seems to be the trending phrase for couples of late. Peeta and Katniss, Rose and the Doctor……Castle and Beckett.

Comment by Sar – April 30, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Snape and Lily have “always” all to themselves, even if they aren’t a couple

Comment by Jackie H – April 30, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a little worried about the ‘recap’ aspect of the episode. So many shows have done it and so many have done it poorly. But huge props to the editors and people who dug through all the seasons for the perfect clip, it was so much fun to see the evolution over the years in one go.

As to the view that tS&tQ doesn’t make sense after seeing this one, I think it does, especially with the way Castle said ‘i love you’ back. Did anyone else notice that he seemed a little hesitant and ‘far away’? And it isn’t something I’m going to blame on the fact that it looked like Beckett’s death was a sure thing.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but in my opinion, the winner of the night was Gates finally letting us know that she has known for a while. (I’ve been a fan of Penny since DS9, so I am a little biased). There was a comfortable feeling at the end of the episode that I liked.

Comment by Shannon – April 30, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When will AWM & CO give Penny Jarrod Johnson more lines, she is such a good actor that is being shamefully underutilized. Montgomery was in on so many cases, why isn’t Gates, especially since she has demonstrated a willingness to take on the big boys. Come on MilMar, bring Gates front and center in season six.

Comment by lame – April 30, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t agree more. I was so excited when I saw that she was the new Captain and then she only appeared in a handful of episodes. I was so disappointing.

Comment by Shannon – April 30, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this episode was the dream of all caskett fans, I don’t know how it fits with the squab epi but I didn’t like that epi so I can skip it. and just rewatch Still a couple of hundred more times!!

Comment by leriam10 – April 30, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The switching of the episodes will make Beckett look some what shallow. It sets aside the circumstances that lead her to consider the offer she’ll be given. Too bad, it would have been the perfect set up, leading to the finale.

Comment by lame – April 30, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else still crying? Cos I am…

Comment by Krithika – April 30, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I came away with 2 observations: 1.) why did ABC think this needed to be pulled. I think the vast majority of viewers could have separated fact from fiction. 2.) I still hate clip episodes.

Comment by Jimmy – April 30, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It makes no sense. This episode comes before last week’s, so Castle was willing to die with Beckett, leaving his daughter fatherless and his mother childless, but isn’t willing to put down the video games and have sex with Beckett?

I’m a gay guy, and even I would put down the video game to have sex with Beckett.

Comment by Midori – April 30, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Castle & hope it continues on for many years. I can see them getting married & being the next Thin Man series.

Comment by Mary – April 30, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ll separate next year in fall episodes, then re-connect and eventually do the ‘thin man’ thing…

Comment by Mike – May 1, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t normally comment on others opinions, but Mike, I would just love to know what do you think is going to cause them to separate in the fall..the job offer/acceptance/leaving NY, their lack of long-term relationship discussions(including Castle’s fears of becoming a 3 time loser), or what? I respect the thought and would love to know rationale. Castle loves her, but is she ALWAYS the first thing in his life? Should she be? Alexis was. I know there is a great relationship between KB and Alexis but if those long-term discussions are fruitful, then will the relationship always be great? All these questions, and the ones that you have offered I’m sure are part of AWM’s visionary strategy. It’s difficult for me to see her leaving NYPD (“We speak for the dead”). That just doesn’ work with the Feds! She’s on home turf now, and is very comfortable where she works. With Gates issues out of the way now, it makes it easier for CASKETT.

Comment by Dan Henderson – May 1, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question: Was there additional footage in the flashbacks? I can’t seem to remember the scene where Castle’s at the shooting range firing an old flintlock pistol.

Comment by DJ Doena – April 30, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was the one with the duel. It was a very funny scene.

Comment by Sally Ramsey – April 30, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s from Season 3 an episode called ‘Punked’ S03E04.

Comment by Olivia – April 30, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to do a clipshow, you deserve to get cancelled.

Comment by dragenphoto – April 30, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They didn’t have a choice. They only had three days to shoot.

Comment by Sally Ramsey – April 30, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a ridiculous comment. Especially that it’s obvious that a) you don’t watch the show or b) you never watched this episode.

Comment by Olivia – April 30, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been watching Castle since the leaked pilot.

Comment by dragenphoto – April 30, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Then it makes what you have said even more ridiculous. Cancel Castle because of a clip show?! Obviously not a fan of clip shows? I’m not a huge fan of clip shows myself, but I think they did a good job. Excellently executed to move the story forward for this episode and the series itself.
          Making a comment like that makes people think that you are not a fan of Castle. Now that you have mentioned that you have watched since the Pilot, it makes even less sense. Obviously you are not enjoying it at the moment.
          Take break from it all, have a rest and maybe come back with a different perspective! You’re obviosly jaded! Either that or do one, and leave altogether wth your inane and ludicrous statements.

Comment by Olivia – April 30, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • *obviously

Comment by Olivia – April 30, 2013 11:31 PM PDT
  • I loved it

Comment by Carolyn – April 30, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Nathan Fillion was so much thinner in the first season compared to now. Weird how the network have allowed him to gain this much weight instead of forcing him to shape up a little.

Comment by Kasper – April 30, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suppose what annoys me about the weight gain thing is that had Stana put on as many pounds as he has there’s no way the producers would have been remiss in asking her to shape up. I still think Nathan looks good, I mean I’m not gonna lie, a double chin isn’t flattering on anyone but his body shape isn’t a problem.

Comment by Alana – May 1, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just watched about 15 minutes of NF in Calgary this past weekend. It was shot from the side. Definitely no double chin.

Comment by Sally Ramsey – May 1, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I predict that Nathan will lose wt over the summer and Stana will get her hair cut to conform to the edgyness I predict will unfold in fall episodes.

Comment by Mike – May 1, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok in the flashbacks, we saw Castle punch 2 guys. One was Slaughter, but could someone please tell who the other was?

Comment by Krithika – May 1, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He beat Lockwood’s face in. That’s how he hurt his hand.

Comment by Sally Ramsey – May 1, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I don’t think it was Lockwood. The guy I’m talking about was standing up straight, not lying on the floor.

Comment by Krithika – May 1, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The second guy you’re talking about Castle punching was in the same episode as when you saw him punch Slaughter (Headhunters episode 21 season 4 air date April 16th 2012) The guys name was Jay.

Comment by David – May 1, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah that explains it….thanks a bunch :)

Comment by Krithika – May 2, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not going to use all the clichés that everyone else has used in describing how great “Still” was so just let say this about it. I’m a 60 year straight white male. I cried like a little girl.

Comment by David – May 1, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally Loved, Loved. Loved this ep! I cant stop watching! We got everything we’ve been asking for. The ILY from Kate, and he said it back to her, the kiss montage, the trip down memory lane, Gates knows and I think she is aware of how great the entire team is, I cant complain about one single thing in this ep. I absolutely love it! Even the music was awesome. Thank-you, Marlowe, Robert Duncan, cast and crew! Heres to season6!

Comment by Glenda Shearman – May 2, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the episode well enough, but why were the bomb squad so useless? Not only did they not get the slightest bit close to diffusing the bomb, but the leader actually left Beckett standing on a live, highly sensitive bomb with only a “I’ll check in on you later”. Seriously? Even Grey’s Anatomy knew they needed someone with the person to coach them. That is a highly stressful situation, and it doesn’t take much to make a person run. And worst of all, he told her they would put the scope far away from the bomb and work towards it, but they were actually knowingly right next to it.Talk about reckless endangerment. It was distracting how terrible those guys were at their job.

Comment by Not a bomb expert, but seriously – May 4, 2013 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well my DVR didn’t record this….. sigh.. I find myself not caring too much though anymore. This show has basically lost me.

Comment by Danielle H. – May 4, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marlowe has MURDERED Caskett! Beckett’s become a slutty bimbo, and Castle’s become a castrated eunuch!!

If the original schedule had been sdhered to, then we’d have seen Castle standing fast with Beckett, on top of a ticking time bomb in one episode; and then in the next, we’d have seen Beckett dropping her drawers, and getting into bed with a complete stranger after drinking a flute of champagne and few words! WHAT A BUMMER!!!

Comment by David P. Hoadley – June 6, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If that is a joke…not fun, but Ok;
    If you´re serious…God, you are an idiot! And I´m being kind:)

Comment by Mary – April 30, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post