Bones Finale Post Mortem: Show's Boss Talks Booth and Brennan's New Obstacle, Season 9 Time Jump and the Death of [Spoiler]

Bones Season 9 SpoilersHaven’t watched Monday’s Bones finale yet? Back away from this post mortem. Everyone else, please proceed…

Bones giveth, and Bones (quickly and cruelly) taketh away.

In Monday’s season finale of the long-running Fox drama, Brennan — buoyed in part by a certain Big Bad’s escalating reign of terror — overcame her aversion to marriage and popped the question to Booth. His answer? “Hell, yes!”

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

But in a heartbreaking twist, Pelant (who has an allergic reaction to even the whiff of happiness, particularly where B&B are concerned) threatened to whack five random strangers if Booth didn’t end the engagement. And adding insult to injury, Booth wasn’t allowed to tell Brennan why he was calling it off!

Cut to a bewildered and devastated Brennan, cue the closing credits.

In the following Q&A, Bones EP Stephen Nathan takes us inside the action-packed hour and teases what’s to come in Season 9 (hint: time jumps, deaths, rigged alarm clocks, possible break-ups and more!)

TVLINE | What you did to Booth and Brennan was just… not right.

[Laughs] It was so much fun to do!

TVLINE | Couldn’t Booth, you know, tell Brennan what was really going on somewhere outside of Pelant’s reach — like in the shower?
No. There’s too much at stake. It’s not just Brennan’s life but Christine’s, too. He has a daughter he has to think about. And Pelant is crazy. Booth doesn’t want to test those waters, not before they figure out how to get them. And I can promise that they will, and we already know how. Pelant will not live forever.

TVLINE | Will he live beyond the Season 9 premiere?
Yes. He won’t go quietly into the night.

TVLINE | Will the premiere pick up right where the finale left off?
There will be a bit of a time jump. It’s not going to be huge, but it’s going to be enough of a time jump that we can tell their relationship has been through something. It becomes an issue of trust between Booth and Brennan. It’s a very difficult emotional situation for them to be in. We have a lot to contend with heading into Season 9 with this tension and rift. It’s going to be a lot to surmount.

TVLINE | How serious will this obstacle be? Is it going to jeopardize the relationship?
The potential for that is definitely there. We don’t want to soft-pedal this. There’s a secret, and relationships don’t really thrive when one or both parties are withholding something. And I think that’s what we’re going to see. And we do have some episodes that we’re developing now that embrace that conflict.

TVLINE | How hard is Sweets going to take the unintended role he played in Pelant’s latest killing spree?

He definitely feels responsible for the death of those people, because Pelant was using Sweets’ work. So there’s fallout from that.

TVLINE | And Booth, I’m guessing, will be on the warpath.

Yes. When Season 9 opens up, we will see him quite obsessed with Pelant, quite obsessed with the fact that he wants this guy out of his life. Going through [normal] channels is not working.

TVLINE | Is it now safe to say Pelant messing with Booth and Brennan’s alarm clock last season was just a red herring? It hasn’t been revisited since.
That will play into what comes up next season. That is something we will revisit.

TVLINE | Even though it was a short-lived engagement, the question-popping scene was really sweet. Was there any discussion about having her get down on one knee?

We never wanted to do anything excessively traditional with Brennan. And it seemed to us that we had to put her in a situation where she could be spontaneous — something that we’ve seen evolve in her life over time. She’s always so rational that having her character evolve where she can spontaneously do something, she can rationalize it later as she did in the episode, but the reality is she couldn’t imagine living without Booth.

TVLINE | This totally sets things up for Booth to eventually turn the tables and do the proposing himself.
That crossed our minds. But we will have to see how it will unfold. We have our ideas on how this situation might resolve, but it might in no way fall into the current expectations of the fans.

1. BWC says:

I AM READY FOR WRITERS TO FINISH PELANT!!!!!

2. I will never stop watching Bones. The Finale acting & directing were brilliant ~ they’ve outdone themselves. If their intent was to stir the hornets’ nest, they succeeded. The scenes in Brennan’s office & the park were breathtakingly beautiful. Pelant is an intriguing monster a la Stieg Larsson’s ‘Zalachenko’. Whatever will he do next?! He is no match for the genius and expertise of B&B! Cam & Sweets are going to blow a gasket and see right through Booth’s ruse! I only PRAY 4 Brennan’s enlightenment B4 she puts her feelings in a box, folds the flaps over, & tapes it closed, & then painfully & quietly slides that box onto the last shelf inside her heart. Booth, lean on your faith to get you through!

3. Kelley says:

Okay, Bones fan from season one here…
    At first take, this finale seems so pointless and self indulgent for the writers, HH and SN. But, after thinking about it for a day, watching it again and pondering the journey of BB; I understand it. Bones, abandoned, with trust issues, finally opens her heart and risks heartbreak by proposing. She has had a tough time lately and become a mother in the midst of chasing killers and losing people. She took a step that Booth has hoped for for so long, and now he appears to be the one letting her down and proving her belief that “She isn’t the kind of person who gets to be in a family.” Now Booth, he is a sniper, a trained killer who can not catch this one man. If he was actually the one physically killing people, out in public, Booth could get him. But, this is a different kind of evil, Pelant doesn’t just kill. Pelant is lonely, he thinks of this as a game being played with his family. But, Booth sees it as a threat against the people he loves. I especially found interesting when he told Sweets and Caroline that they were some of his favorite people and he was going home to his “first favorite” person. They are his world, and he would kill anyone that would hurt his people. So, here we are, very deep in a series where we expect them to be different, to have found closure and healing from their past. Until something happens that reawakens all of those wounds. Bones feels hurt, maybe abandoned, but definitely now back to her logical views on love and relationships. Booth is not going to sit comfortably in his office and let the other agents look for Pelant. He will use his skills, connections and maybe Max to take care of Pelant. This is a way to keep our characters from becoming stale or boring, frustrating as it is for us fans. I am willing to sit back and trust that the writers, HH, SN and especially DB and ED know where Bones and Booth should be, are willing to give them the life they deserve and we want to see. I have a little voice that keeps saying, remember when DB said that they may not end up together, HH has not exactly been a shipper either. But, why even go there with a baby and a house and relationship?? I look forward to some discord, some hurting, angst and whatnot! Why?? Because, maybe, just maybe, we will get to see some romance, the kind that we missed in the time jump a few seasons ago. Maybe we get to see Bones fall apart, and Booth have to show that he really won’t hurt her, won’t leave her. So much angst to simmer in this summer, but so much to look forward to next season!!

4. Keith Wilfort says:

This Pelant arc is well past it’s sell by date. Makes it difficult to keep watching the series.

5. JOCEE says:

I am a die hard fan and wont stop watching…..NEVER

6. stormy says:

Personally, I find Pelant’s character completely unbelievable. That’s what’s ruining the show for me. I love a good serial killer, but they have given Pelant too much power. I fear the only resolution will rely on some dues ex machina crap. It screams of lazy writing.

7. stormy says:

The words “jumped the shark” come to mind.

8. Linda says:

You know that everyone is pretty smart on this show but I would love for them to get Zach Addy back into the scene because Brennan is so distraught over the relationship she is not thinking clearly. And with his background with the Gormagon he would be perfect to catch Pellant.

9. Berta says:

Once Bones proposed to Booth, I knew it wasn’t going to end there! But, I’m also supposing that this will make Season 9 super exciting — I.e. Palant has been around too long,that will be dealt with;Bones overcame her “objection” to getting hitched,that will be handled; so, here’s to an inspiring next season!!!!

10. amanda says:

I think sweets will realize what booth is doing since he warned booth about putting his happiness over pelants (however you spell it). I hope sweets figures out a way to tell her to calm her down a little but then again that may ruin it. Pelant wants to see her and booth suffering. I just wish the season would come back already.

11. Darth Ed's Wife says:

So sick of Pelant. Enough already. And such a horrible thing to do to Booth and Bones. Seriously, even if there is a happy ending for the finale, people will continue to watch. I’m about done with all this Pelant garbage. How could they do this to the characters. The serials detract from the show. Gormogon, Gravedigger, at least they were tolerable…irritating but tolerable. Pelant is a detraction. Enough already. Get back to the science and the core group with the awesome interns and fascinating cases. And maybe some progression in the relationships with some happy times and happy families (they do happen) instead of just heartache!

Oh and I hope we’ll also see more of Cam and Aristoo!

12. Roxy says:

I didn’t tally every single response but a quick average is telling me that the majority that bothered to respond are not happy with the manipulation by the writers and are tired of the Pelant super villain story arc, and would like to see a return to the murder resolved in an hour format. All of the character development, love interest, etc. should be a secondary story to the crime solving which is what drew most of your viewers to begin with. What next..a giant freeze ray pointed straight at Port Charles…errr.. I mean DC. Get over yourselves, stop with jerking the viewers around with cliff hangers and get back to writing good television..or their won’t be anyone left to write for.

13. connor says:

i think the show went down once they got rid of zach

14. Pattyann5662 says:

I watch Bones for the stories… the science,,,,the crime….BUT I do like happy couples sometimes. I am fed up with TV writers thinking that couples don’t exist or that people won’t watch if the main characters are a happy couple.

15. BB123 says:

With pelant character and his storylines and super-competence, HH and SN asked too much of “suspension of disbielief”.

16. Nikki says:

Was not happy with the episode, but I can only hope that Season 9 premier will make up for it. I like Pelant, but agree it’s time for him to go, his story line has been dragged out enough. I am a LOYAL Bones fan, but I feel like the show really took a down hill turn since the got rid of Zack. Introducing all the different interns with all their different story lines makes it more like a soap opera. I would LOVE to see Zack brought back, with the original group together they could surely catch Pelant and I could finally be over with him.

17. Carolyn Gay says:

I think the writers are very happy right now. Such passion from all of you. I love Bones and was so bummed out about the ending last night too, but I am willing to see how next season plays out. i won’t be so quick to leave.

18. Writer says:

I bet every Bones writer is sitting in a room laughing at all these comments. Seriously? It’s a drama television show! There has to be drama! Personally, if I was writing this show, when Booth got the phone call I would’ve had something happen to Brennan/Christine. Whether the play swing behind them blew up and Booth couldn’t find them in the smoke or whatever. I agree with most of you on the whole “Lets get married” “Jk” “Okay?” Was a little… Cheesy but maybe the writers will make this full circle in the end and create a happy ending. Bones has some very strong points which we are all over looking. If Brennan would’ve got down on one knee, with a thousand roses and asked Booth to marry her I bet you’d all be back in the message boards saying how that wasn’t a “Brennan” thing to do. I am a Bone head and I want Bones and Booth to get locked in a train that can’t stop and they have to figure out how to get out, you know, the action + love. Lets just all take a deep breath and be happy the show didn’t end to that way or Booth didn’t almost die for a 3rd season, there is still at least 22 more episodes to go! Yay!

• Roxy says:

I think there is drama..and then there is soap opera. The writing used to be slick, but it has become very predictable and puhhlezz..the whole cliff hanger at the end of every season is so over done. I would have been fine if there wasn’t a proposal at all. Especially since they clearly only did it so they could undo it. Can’t really undo the baby at this point and they needed something to keep the “tension” up. Too bad they don’t look at the first few seasons and see where they had interesting crimes and smart investigations. Now they need someone dying on every show just to create hype. I am still waiting for the freeze ray..I know it’s coming next.

• BB123 says:

And Aliens. Freeze Ray and Aliens. ANd Then the Avengers came by but they realise that they work for Disney (so ABC) so they leave and they go help Castle and Beckett and even Megan Hunt in their spare time. So Brennan called in the X-Men (who are own by the 20th century Fox),who can’t help them because they are way too busy helping the guys from the Following.(that really need them).
        The squint are doomed

19. BB123 says:

As for me, it isn’t even the hearache and relationship struggle that I am angry with. I am a HUGE fan of Psych and Shules shipper. I am more invested in this ship than in Bones and Booth. And Anyone watching the show this season knows that is happening. And While it’s heartbreaking, I though it was great, interesting, greatly done, and that really had to come up at some point and the aftermath was the realistic think to do and is currently well handled.
    So it isn’t the WHAT the issue, it’s really the HOW it happend and why. That where HH and SN failed.
    The engagement, calling off the engagment ? Why not, it can be done beautifully and without hurting a show too much. But doing that because Pelant says so, threatining people that aren’t under threat anymore when Booth finally obey to him. Booth not finding any way to tell her. (Couldn’t he “confess” to a priest and asking the priest to break the secret for Bones. Or Pelant has mic and cam in church and even in confessionals ?).

20. Steven Smith says:

You guys complain too much. Booth and Brennan got together. You guys are lucky you even got that! But if they didn’t put no obstacles in their way then that would be hella boring! These obstacles make the show more interesting! And Pelant is a great villain and to make him this smart and powerful it also makes the show more interesting! If they brought in a weak villain then that would be boring too so practicly you guys are saying you guys like boring tv! Just shut up and enjoy the show because the show is still great! Reguardless if Booth and Brennan gets married or not!

• BB123 says:

I peronnally don’t mind struggle and obstacles. But Can we keep it interesting, in-character and useful to character growth or is it too much to ask ?
      I don’t want a weak villain. I want a good villain. A realistic one that as some flaws and isn’t cartoon-ish. A super-powerful flawless villain like Pelant, that can survive a bullet to the face with only himself to fix it isn’t realistic !
      Look at tr nearly any other shows you can think powerful villains that are interesting frightening but that has weaked point or the why they are so hard to getis way better explained than in Bones.
      I am asking for something called balanced. Is It too much to ask to ?
      I don’t want boring TV; i want TV that don’t thing I am stupid and will overlook everything because I am a fan. Being a fan doesn’t mean losing your mind and your ability to question things!

21. mmm1234 says:

Oh my goshhhh all of you are so annoying LOL
    Castle this castle that like WTF we have been on for almost 9 seasons and did all this first… Just had to get that out OK but yeh don’t come commenting on our show , our writers, out actors! Just let it go… You don’t need to comment on this thing! Just move on and don’t let our show bother you! If you are a real fan and dedicated fan you like the drama and the action and story line so obviously half of you are not! PLEASE just stopppp

22. Jessi says:

I am a huge Bones fan. I have seen every show at least twice with the help of netfix and nothing else to watch. I think this last episode kinda sucked, I understand leave us wanting more but why leave it that way. Bones was crushed and booth was spineless. He so should have let her know some way that Pelant was involved in his desision not to currently get married. She has such a fragile heart being deserted by both parents and brother. The Pelant thing has run its course, HE WILL DIE but not soon enough lol. I think it is a little unrealistic that the can’t find him but he does have all of Hodgens money so He may be able to fly under the radar but not for long. I think they need to Get back to reality with bones and booth and have them figure out there problems but maybe they should open up the other charter stories as well. Like how are hodgens and angela getting along with no money versus there old budget, and what about cam and sweets among others. It scares me that after this last episode they will lose a lot of viewers and season nine will be the last. I really hope not cause I can’t handle another american idol or X factor sucking up hours a week of tv primetime.

23. Kristin D says:

Last night was the deal breaker for me. I found myself drifting away this season, mainly because of Pelant. The abilities they have given him are off the scales ridiculous. That is not how hacking works…and yes, there are a million ways Booth could have let Bones know what was happening, and Bones is smart enough to realize that something was obviously going on to make his mood switch so suddenly. However, the reason I know I am done is that none of that makes me mad anymore. It just makes me tired, and that makes me sad. I love the actors, I was willing to suspend belief for a lot of things this show does, but the story telling at this point is trite, cliche, the worst offense-boring. It was a good run Bones- I am sorry to see it end this way.

24. Sue says:

I stopped watching the show when Pelant became a recurring character. I can’t abide this plotline.

• A says:

Calm down! Some people are so extra. He’s barely been on. Only 5 episodes with HUGE gaps in between. Stop acting like he’s taking over ever scene.

25. Sandra says:

I think Brennan and Booth will figure it out. It’s just a little disappointed in the ending… I hate the bad guy. I hate that Booth and the FBI are so inept . I hate that Brennan is not her brilliant self…… And Sweet well I won’t even touch him…

26. Phoenix says:

Last night was the worst finale ever. Shame on the writers. To finally get Booth and Brennan happy was just too much for you, wasn’t it? And the Pelant storyline isn’t even believable. To devastate Brennan like that was simply unforgivable. Shame, shame, shame. You want to know what the viewers want? We want Booth and Bones to be happy; that’s what we want. So, give it to us, or we’ll walk away.

27. Katie says:

For me it ended after the phone call in the park after they smiled at each other. I would have been ok with that ending because it adds a little mystery but not wanting me to scream. I love bones and can’t wait for the next season but come on I’m sick of the Ross, Rachel thing in every single show (ok almost every show). Until the next season I am writing it my way. I do believe they will end up getting married. I was going in thinking palant will be killed and they will get married, but well I was wrong. The thing I would change the most wasn’t the ending but the beginning. It drives me crazy how a person is murdered than they automataclly know its Palant.. I would like to see the beginning played out more to them realizing it was him. I am over the whole Palant thing. I want the other fbi agent (I suspected him of being in cahoots with Palant) to shoot him and kill him for whatever reason. I just don’t want it to be any of the main people so there isn’t a fall out again.

28. sasha says:

I got into this show in like 2007 and I started watching from the begining. I love they way they have made Bones and Booths relationship. I’m so in love with them so much. They have been through a lot and this is just something else they have to go through. Keep up the good work of adding the twist. I’m so excited for season nine to start :)

29. Steve says:

This Pelant BS has to end. This was the worst season finale of any show I ever watched. The writers must be some kind of special stupid to think that this will bring viewers back next season. You have viewers watch for 8 seasons from them to finally tie the knot then you pull this BS. What’s next a big S on Pelant’s chest and a red cape or some other kind of super powers. You lost me as a viewer, might watch 1st. Episode next season if superman Pelant doesn’t die I will never watch again

• Dawn says:

Fox has already said Pelant does not die in first episode so do not waste your time. I am not watching anymore either

30. BobB says:

pathetic, flat, ridiculous, incredulous, poorly written, lack lustre drivel.

31. Sheryl says:

Well, now I don’t need to concern myself with the season opener. I have loved Kathy Reich’s entire Bones series. And up until now, I have been a devotee of this TV show. But, even when the fan outcry is deafening, the show’s powers that be hold on to the Pelant thing. Good grief, already. Kill him and get back to forensics. The intricacy of the science is fascinating. The interaction of characters is fun, the yadda yadda of the serial killer. blech.

32. Stacey says:

I loved this Season as I do with all of the previous seasons. I record them all and have got my boyfriend and two step-daughters into it. The 9-11 hero episode was my favorite by far. I like seeing Pelant mess with them, it builds anticipation. The writers know what they’re doing and where exactly they’re going with it. The way I see it is I am not a writer, I started watching the show and just am along for the ride. From the very first episode we all knew at one point they were going to get together and they did. We know what’s going to happen we just have to wait for that one episode. If they made you mad and frustrated by the Season finale then they did their job, you watched. I will be watching next season and the seasons after.

33. Stacey says:

Oh yeah and I agree it would be absolutely amazing to bring Dr. Addy back I miss him and his Rainman brilliance! Bring everyone in and make it great to bring down Pelant!

34. Andrew Poe says:

I thought the season finale was stupid and I won’t be back to watch next season. I’ve been following the show since nearly the beginning and it’s like the writers don’t know how to do their characters consistently anymore. They seem to play Booth as a sucker and he definitely would have told Bones what was going on in the earlier seasons (and the writers seem to have conveniently forgotten Booth’s son). To me, I don’t think Pelant would really care one way or another if Bones & Booth got married. The bigger picture for him is his seeking to take down the government and to one-up Bones and her staff through his hacking skills and whatever means available to him.

35. Andrea says:

well I guess no more Bones. I can,t stand Pelant. I have not believed one thing that Pelant has done. Plus the last time he was it was on it was unbelievable he got away. They are trying to capture some super genius but yet the only exit they don’t cover is the garage. Okay lousy FBI agents.

36. Nuno says:

If you writers are going to break Booth and Brennen off then I don’t see any point of watching this show. I mean the storyline is amazing and Pelant is the most horribly incredible villain I have ever seen so far. Still the beauty of this show is the relationship between Booth and Brennen. I mean it’s such a challenge for a couple to be both career and real life partner. This is what I love seeing in the show not just hey we found a decomp so let’s find the killer. That’s gonna be so dull and you are on the right path writers so don’t disappoint us with what you think might be a good twist in breaking them off nor other couples in the show. Oh and yes kill Pelant already and invent a more creepy one!!!

• A says:

Umm. They are NOT broken up. He rejected her proposal but they never broke up!

• Dawn says:

oh face being the last season they going to break them up. or do something else stupid to drive more fans away

• A says:

I would say to those so-called “fans” that are driven away so easily to STAY AWAY!!. “Oh, I don’t like something that happened so I’m going to stop watching.” Well, good riddance IMO.

• Stacey says:

I agree, if these “fans” don’t like what’s happened and walk away that’s you prerogative. I won’t because I like the show for all that it is. And the negative comments are annoying, constructive criticism I can take.

37. Kaitlyn says:

I was very dissatisfied in this finale. Glad to know I not the only one. Also, this will put a strain on all the relationships because how can the rest of the team trust Booth when he did something like that to Brennan. It’s not just their relationship that’s in danger. And I agree that it is a slap in the face for fans. Very displeased but will definitely watch next season; too much of a fan not too!

38. Bev says:

As a loyal fan from the beginning, I have to say that I didn’t shed one tear last night. Not that I like to cry, but every past season finale has been emotional and I’m sorry SN & HH but you blew it- I didn’t buy it- What!!!!! – hasn’t Booth every heard of writing a note! “Pelant made me do it!” lame really lame. As smart as Booth and Bones are – they could control their reactions. OK I see the reason- It’s probably the last season and it would be really great to have the tension back between B&B – even lame tension.

39. A says:

I absolutely LOVE this Pelant character. I don’t think I have ever been so excited to see a TV show villain come on in a while. The character is so badass and creepy and you can all complain all you want about being annoyed with him but the fact of the matter is that the BEST episodes of this season were the ones Pelant was in and it was definitely not an excellent season. I love the fact that they will continue with the Pelant storyline. Sometimes when a storyline or character is dragged out it can be annoying/tiring, but they have created this awesome, super smart villain and I’m happy they didn’t just end it right there. The guy is way too smart and they can’t just end it like that. He WILL mess up somehow. He’s vulnerable in that he’s lonely and also very much CRAZY. We also saw a glimpse of him being not-so-perfect when Booth shot him. All of this should tell people that he WILL be caught. Add that to the fact that this is a TV show and this there will be a resolution to this storyline. We know that B&B will end up together. So just enjoy the ride.

40. All I’ve got to say is they better not break Brennan and Bones up – I always thought they should be together. If they break them up, I’m going to be freaking pissed! Of course, ultimately Brennan should understand – she kept Booth in the dark when she went “on the lam” so, when Booth can finally explain things, she should understand.

41. Dawn says:

I say because of this Bones dumps Booth , Bones takes the house and baby. Booth moves back to an apartment and their relationship is forever over. They are no longer professional partners either. Since the actor who plays Booth wants out of the series anyway. I say he leaves a letter for Bones explaining why he dumped her before Pelaunt kills Booth. Season 9 ends and so does Bones.

42. Akiko says:

So, the FBI can catch a terrorist in a couple of days, but Pelant’s been killing people for a year or so (and not just regular people: FBI agents, scientists, etc.) and nothing happens, he’s uncatchable. Worst season finale ever, I don’t think I watch it anymore. VERY disappointed and pissed. I mean, I’ve watched every single episode of this show even when I thought it was nonsense but this is it, I’m officially done with Bones, I can’t stand it anymore.
    It’s not because I wanted to see them married, it’s just a lame way of ending the season. The whole “don’t marry her but don’t tell her why” thing is just stupid and has no sense at all. So, why should I watch season 9th?
    Sorry, but I certainly can use my time on more interesting things or more interesting shows.
    And of course I know it’s a tv show, it’s fiction, but even tv shows need a little coherence, in the end, they’re based on what happens in life, right?

43. Me says:

Maybe Bones’ writers could learn something from Castle’s writers… just saying.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Yeah, because the whole “pretending not to remember” storyline wasn’t stupid at all (Sarcasm)

• Me says:

Ok, take it easy, it’s just my opinion! I think Castle’s writers did a better job with Caskett’s relationship, that’s it!

• Tressa says:

Man take it easy! I’m a fan of neither show but Me was just offering an opinion. No need to get all bitchy about it…

• BB123 says:

It wasn’t the smartest move Castle had done, but AT LEAST, it was said that it was a bad move from beckett. “People make bad decision, it’s what is happening here” Marlowe said at the time. (I am paraphrasing). There is the difference. Nathan, here, try to tell us that Booth is doing that he has to do and he is right to do it. Marlowe was very clear that they have their characters make bad decisions and mistakes on purpose. And they prepare it in advance in the season. (All season 3 was all about Beckett not being able to have a seriious relationship, not being able de face her feelings, not being able to trust the others feelings and being way too closed-off. Her making the decision to hide her knowledge and feelings isn’t surprising. Stupid decisions but season 3 presented Beckett making bad decision (or having made bad decisions) when it come to her relationships (with Castle, with Josh, with Mike Royce).

Here I couldn’t explain why Booth lied to Bones at the very beginning of the phone call. Why he didn’t say “it’s Pelant, call the FBI so they can trace this call”. No he lied he said “it’s my mother” BEFORE Pelant said to him it has to be a secret. Why ?
          The Booth I know and love would have tell it right away and Pelant wouldn’t even have the time to blackmail him. The Booth I know and love would’ve see the loophole and tell Angela for her to tell Bones. The Booth I know and Love would have find a way.
          I might have accept it more easily if Booth had follow Pelant orders right away. It’s bad writing that Booth wait to tell her when the people Pelant threatened aren’t in danger anymore.
          The only time I can recall that Booth lied to Bones to protect her, it was when she was pregnant and it didn’t turn out that well…and 1 and a half season ago, way too long ago to consider it’s something he can really do.

44. Okay i’m done! Bones used to be gritty, intriguing & chilling, now it’s a corny romantic comedy that tries entirely too hard to be suspenseful to no avail. The extra-ness of it all doesn’t feel realistic, the entire cast is dating one another and the plot doesn’t stay consistent at all! remember when Dr. Sweets had welts on his back from child abuse? Those welts weren’t present in the episode where he was shirtless in B&B’s home. Remember when Cam started dated the gynecologist and her daughter gave approval under the condition that she be appointed a new (female) gynecologist? Then why did Cam eventually dump the gynecologist because “It was creepy” dating her daughter’s gynecologist? The inconsistencies grouped with the unrealistic cast incest and the overly dramatic yet unimpressive climaxes has eroded Bones over time to the point where the series has the integrity of the skeletal remains of an 80 year old osteoporosis victim who didn’t get enough calcium. Bones was my favorite TV show and i have all the previous seasons on DVD however i won’t be buying this one and i won’t anticipate next season. The moral of this story is that you can create a great show without “doing too much” with it all!

45. madbengalsfan85 says:

My season 9 wishlist

-Pelant needs to die sometime in the first half of the season; he isn’t fun or exciting anymore, just ridiculous (And frankly, TPTB need to redeem themselves in a hurry)
    -Brennan figures out why Booth broke the engagement in the first 3-4 episodes, fixes some of the B/B issues but not all
    -Brennan and Booth are engaged for real by Valentines Day
    -B/B bicker over wedding arrangements
    -Season 9 ends with a wedding (I won’t mind if the wedding is interrupted by a dead body)

46. Ok this whole Pelant is getting old!! If they break up Booth and Brennan I am going to quit watching the show. It’s like The Mentalist and Red John, just end it already!! There can be a great show without all the drama. Things like this is what kills a series to me.

47. Craig mattes says:

I am not crazy about network shows, I like 2 bones and castle. The ending for me Is completely disingenuous as they have I child, clearly love each other and bones doing this must have been tough. You have given the show a new name the Christopher plant show. The problem with tv are the writers and just so Hanson understands this you may tell the fans tough luck but if they answer you back the same way it’s end of show. I like the show and love the characters but I hate to see the writers with no life ruin the show. I am not interested in plant forever. You handled the gravedigger great and gormogon well but pelant is getting old and I’ll leave if again the show becomes his. People may like it this is one persons opinion.

48. joyce says:

There are many colorful characters in this show and the writers could have 3 or 4 story lines of the different characters which would leave us wondering and want more. Thats what I like about this show the colorful characters and developement of these are highly educated and above adverage intellegent people. We have seen all their stories unfold and all this was completely ignored in this final show and we are made to concentrate on Booth and Bones in a totally unbelieveable senario/ story line. It could have be great but was a flat tire. I think thats what everyone is disappointed in. I’m not a computer wiz but even I know there are gapping holes in this story. (and duh on the alarm but how many people with their income keep a cheap alarm clock like that around and these crime specialist don’t notice something, that has bugged me since he left the altered alarm there) I don’t watch that much TV and hardly never a TV series but Bones is quirky and full of characters and I especially love it when they champion a cause. I have watched every episode a couple of times. The writers were on vacation for this one. ; – (