American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Sing for 'Standards' and 'Hits of 2013' Themes?

American Idol Season 12 Top 4 Song PicksAfter last Thursday’s non-elimination, American Idol takes a second shot at Top 4 Performance Night this Wednesday (8/7c on Fox), and the theme is one worth getting excited about.

Yes, folks, Amber Holcomb, Kree Harrison, Candice Glover and Angie Miller will be tackling a “Now & Then” theme — one song from the “Standards” category and one that’s been released (or on the charts) in 2013.

RELATED | Lazaro Arbos Idol Exit Interview: ‘No Way 5 Guys Could’ve Left in a Row’

Below are my dream set-list selections. Check ‘em out, then hit the comments with your own suggestions:

STANDARDS
Candice Glover: LaBelle’s version of Cole Porter’s “Miss Otis Regrets
Kree Harrison: Annie Lennox’s version of “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye
Angie Miller: Carly Simon’s version of “Hurt
Amber Holcomb: Ella Fitzgerald’s version of “Lullabye of Birdland

RELATED | American Idol Top 4 Performance Night Recap: I Don’t Think That I Can Take It

HITS OF 2013 (can be a 2012 release, but must have still been charting this year)
Candice Glover: Anna Kendrick’s “Cups” (AKA Pitch Perfect‘s “When I’m Gone”)
Kree Harrison: The Lumineers’ “Ho Hey
Angie Miller: : Little Mix’s “Wings
Amber Holcomb: Carrie Underwood’s “Two Black Cadillacs

Your turn. What songs do you want the Top 4 to cover for “Standards” and “Hits of 2013″? Sound off below!

1. noa says:

i’m just gonna say thank you Michael, for introducing me to Annie Lennox’s version of “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye“, which i didn’t know. AMAZING.

2. bridget says:

I’m thinking a completely acoustic version of Frank Ocean’s ‘Thinkin Bout You’ could turn out to be pretty excellent for Kree.

3. Next to Me by Emeli Sande for Candice!!

4. David says:

My dream is that this nightmare of a season ends now. And that next season Nicki is replaced with someone way less caustic…and Mariah is replaced with someone who can construct a simple sentence and wears clothing that affords her the ability to stand once she sits down….and that Randy and his “in it to win it” nonsense is gone…and that Nigel never again tries to arrange for one gender to win over another…and that only the very best singers are put through (and not just because of their story)…and that Idol finds a way to not allow tweens to vote 1000+ times every week. My ideal judging team: Keith Urban, Paula Abdul and Jimmy Iovine.

• Shaun says:

Paula is too soft…her and Mariah the same

• Amy says:

Word. Well said. I’m for keeping Keith at least. And all the rest you said regarding manipulation for a certain sex and for tween votings fix. I say Shania Twain as a judge…she was terrific as a guest judge a few yrs. ago and I believe would have good chemistry with Keith. ..That is if her Vegas run will be up by then. I wouldn’t mind Jimmy as a judge…but he’s kinda good as the little thorn in everyone’s side on the sidelines.
      Harry Connick Jr. was also good as a mentor and might make a good judge. I don’t mind Mariah, but I totally get the criticisms of her and don’t mind if she’s a one-season-wonder, takes her outrageous 12 mil and calls it a day. And if so…I hope they get cool pros, not overblown ego-“Diva” types anymore…if…they exist out there. I think Shania has her head on straight, Harry too…and types like that.

• Goody says:

Agree on Harry Connick, Jr. but no to Shania. Another country singer won’t help. Keith can stay, still like Simon though, byt it’s impossible i think. So i’d settle for Keith, Harry, and maybe Madonna.. What do you think?

• Mafs95 says:

I will base my opinion on what I’ve seen from these people when they were mentoring in either American Idol or The Voice… my ideal judges panel would be Keith Urban, Jewel, Lady Gaga and Robin Thicke. I loved how they gave real constructive criticism and how interested and invested they seemed in the contestants. Plus, they are relevant artists today and all of them are great singers.

• Becky says:

I don’t necessarily agree with the judge choices. I have enjoyed Nicki quite a bit. But I do agree that this year was sabatoged hugely. It is about the best. And I think they all could have grown quite a bit if they had been told what their opportunities are as well as their strengths from the beginning. And as for their weight. C’mon isn’t Kree like an 8 or 10. Damn. The other two are teenagers not earning a living yet.
      My favorite is Kree because she is who I want to listen to. i would turn her on for hours at a time. i feel that way sbout Mariah. Carey ‘s christmas standard “all i want for christmas” i can put that on repeat for hours all year round. I think the
      other three are talented. But I have never replayed their songs on YouTube once I have listened to them.
      And I do think Candice is the most talented. But where is the coaching process on her. If they don’t think she is marketable, why have they waited this long to tell her. And on national tv. Really… How not classy.

• Ann Marie says:

Thanks for making me giggle, plus you hit the nail on the head!

• MB says:

I don’t want Paula back. She was good because of chemistry with SImon but I never thought she was a good judge. Simon was so harsh at times and she balanced him but it did not worl on the XFactor because Simon was not the same. Plus Paula is a little off the wall.

• raf says:

Agree 100% with everything you said!!!!

• marie says:

I started out the season liking Keith as a judge, but since he sold out and became just a mouthpiece for the producers, I don’t want him back. I’d clean house of the bunch of them (but they’d just bring in new mouthpieces, so what’s the point anyway).

• karyn says:

I agree about Keith and Jimmy but not Paula – she was always useless as a judge (very much like Mariah except Mariah at least has real singing creds).

I really loved Keith for most of the season but ever since the ‘name your top 3′ fiasco and last week’s collective rave re Amber’s crappy performance, he’s shown he’s willing to say what the producers tell him to, so I’d axe him too. BUT, for continuity’s sake, they won’t do a completely fresh panel and Keith is the closest thing to a keeper on the current panel.

• Mary says:

Maybe Amber was his top three. It is possible he is looking at the whole picture and thinks she will have a career. Just because you do not agree with the judges does not make their remarks invalid or the producers mouth piece. Maybe being in the business he knows a little more than say you. I believe he stated once he was looking at everything, being a great singer is not enough.

• syb says:

My guess is that Mariah and Nicki will both depart, and probably Keith as well.

Only 3 judges are necessary. I’m fine with Jimmy, Keith or the like, and some female who isn’t Mariah, Nicki, Paula, Kara, Ellen or JLo. I wish Pink or someone like that would do it, or Chrissie Hynde, or some other rocker chick type would do it. Not somebody all soft and sweet. Someone not afraid to be blunt but who isn’t putting on a show for whatever her version of the barbz might be. Keith can be the nice judge. I think Randy’s expiration date has passed. He no longer has anything interesting to say. (Although I’ll miss his wardrobe…)

• Jen says:

Brilliant. I second the motion to end this debacle now. WHY does everyone have to have a compelling back story??! How refreshing would it be to see someone say, “I had a perfectly normal childhood” ?! And it should be the 10 most talented people that get through to the finals, their sex be damned.

• Mary says:

The back story tells you a little about the person. I do agree we don’t always need the sad story,
        I am sure there are talented people that have a normal upbringing.

• MamaLis says:

Very clever. Love the “ability to stand up once she sits down.” However, like gin when paired with juice or a touch of sugar in a really acidic barbecue sauce, I think Nicki – might- be salvageable if she had the right judges around her. I give her credit because for the most part, she brought truth and constructive criticism back to AI after a very long hiatus. Granted, her “truth” is a bit clouded at times and perhaps inappropriate, but it also can be spot-on and definitely comical and most CERTAINLY better than the judging of the last X years, that we’ve had.

5. Alan says:

Hits of 2013
    Angie: Zedd ft. Foxes – Clarity
    Kree: Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait
    Amber: Cher Lloyd – With Ur Love
    Candice: Lana Del Rey – Ride

Standards:
    Angie: Charlie Chaplin – Smile
    Kree: Ozzie Nelson – Dream a Little Dream of Me (She & Him version)
    Amber: Peggy Lee – Why Don’t You Do Right?
    Candice: Ella Fitzgerald – Stormy Weather

• Harvey says:

I thought of Dream a Little Dream for Kree too. She has the right tone for it.

Other classics:
      Candice – My Way (moment material)
      Angela – You Make Me Feel So Young (room to be a little shouty)
      Amber – The Lady is a Tramp (a chance to show some personality)

Hits of 2013 (err the 2010s at least)
      Candice – Mirrors, by Justin Timberlake (beautiful song, can be interpreted without the arena-rock production)
      Kree – Just Give Me A Reason, by P!nk (great melody, works with her voice)
      Angela – State of Grace, by Taylor Swift (good for a dramatic performance)
      Amber – One Thing, by One Direction (fun song, not too fast for her)

• Cunegonde says:

Standards:
      Kree — k.d. lang’s version of “Skylark”
      Amber — Nina Simone’s version of “I Loves You Porgy”
      Candice — Ella Fitzgerald’s live in Berlin version of “How High the Moon”
      Angie — Sarah Vaughan’s version of “I Feel Pretty”

2013 (why not go for obscure but substantial pop released so far this year)
      Kree — Edie Brickell’s “Sarah Jane and the Iron Mountain Baby”
      Amber — Laura Mvula’s “She”
      Candice — Alice Russell’s “Heartbreaker”
      Angie — Tift Merritt’s “Only in Songs”

6. John. says:

Michael YOU KNOW OF WINGS <3

I knew there was a reason you were my favorite blogger. Huge Little Mix fan here (and unashamed). O.K STAN moment over :D

I really like an Emeli Sande song for Amber since she's such a fan of midtempos.
    Also, I'd go crazy if Candice covered Frank Ocean- Thinkin Bout You would be great for her. Not sure if it's a big enough moment for her though, and Candice needs to blow it out of the park this week. I don't want her to go home.

7. John says:

I would give a LOT of money to hear Candice sing a sexy version of Miguel’s “Adorn.” Kree could show her Country relevance by singing Little Big Town’s “Tornado,” Angie could probably do any Colton Dixon song but it would be great to hear her sing Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Tonight I’m Getting Over You,” and Amber might want to do something with more pop potential to show she can reach that audience like “The Way” from Ariana Grande (which would piss Mariah off because it sounds so much like her classic stuff).

• Good call on going the Miguel route … but Candice singing his “Quickie” would shut down the show. It’d give her just enough room to put her Candice magic in and still be ‘current’.

8. dude says:

I haven’t been watching every week so I don’t know if any of these have already bneen done but here are my picks for the 2013 theme.

Angie: “Try” by Pink
    Amber: “Diamonds” by Rihanna
    Candice: “Don’t You Worry Child” by Swedish House Mafia
    Kree: “Ho Hey” by The Lumineers

9. You just know they’ll find a loophole in the theme like they did with One Hit Wonders, and Amber will do Whitney Houston because someone posted a cover of it on YouTube last month.

And then she’ll get a standing ovation and be called the living, breathing vision of the future. Followed by Keith giving Nigel a wink, Nikki fixing her thong, Randy saying it was eleven and a half out of ten out of seven and Mariah saying Hasssssshtag Poooooow. Followed immediately by #pow popping up on our screens and Ryan Seacrest giving Amber a contract on the spot without even reading her numbers.

10. Oh yeah, and if I were Candice, I’d do a stripped down, acoustic version of any Nicki Minaj song (it would sound breathtaking to any non-English speaking viewer). Then I’d drop the mic the second the song was over and say “This was for Find Your Love. NOW call me old-fashioned.”

• Bristow says:

Hahahahahahah @prkhan_708 u r hilariousssss!!! #POW

• megan says:

that would be amazing I can hear it now. boom boom boom boom boom bass got that super bass

• LOL Mariah would be like “A+Mazing!!!”

• Mark says:

No. No. No. Nicki is already stealing money from this show. Don’t give her an opportunity to collect royalties too.

• My Alter Ego says:

Good point, Mark!

• Jasmine says:

Am I the only one who likes Nicki? She’s one of the better judges to me!

• Mary says:

No I like her to. Everyone has a preconceive notion about her and even if they like how she judges would never give her credit. I think she is the new Simon, but not as harsh. I still don’t like her music and hope she does not sing on the show, but I do like her judging, especially this season being so lacklusting. Spices it up a little.

• Jasmine says:

Exactly. Her music is wack. I would never listen to it, regardless of what people would expect from a black 18-year old. I can’t stand that type of music. However, Nicki is a wonderful judge on the show and some of the critiques she gives the contestants are really true. I think if the contestants were wise, they would take heed to her advice. Vote for Angela Miller, everybody!

11. Kim R says:

Love the Ho Hey choice for Kree. Oh please, oh please, oh please….. :)

12. Kim says:

Candice – Just give me a Reason (Pink feat Nate Ruess)
    Angie – I knew you were trouble (taylor swift)
    Kree – Little Talks (Of Monsters and Men)
    Amber – (I wish 2012 was included cuz she’d sound great on We Found Love), but some other Rihanna song would work

• dude says:

I think Diamonds would be a good choice for her. Then again, song choice doesn’t really matter for her. She could take a steaming dump on stage (which she did vocally with “McArthur Park”) and they would praise her originality. Nicki: “What you did with that dump was so current. I want to be friends with a girl that’s as current as you. Your lipstick is amazing.”

13. EC says:

How about some Kacey Musgraves for Kreedom?

• John says:

Kacey is great and I thought about that, but her voice isn’t that strong and I don’t know how songs written for her would transfer to Kree’s voice.

14. Danny says:

Whatever they decide to sing, I hope they do it with all band members in the background w/ the spotlight soley on the contestants. This low light, sleepy music stuff is slaying me. I want up tempo, lots of light (not strobe, just bright lights) and lots of energy.
    Good luck to all 4.

15. Tara d says:

would love to hear Angie do sweet nothing by Calvin Harris/Florence Welch. she could strip it down and show some vulnerability

16. megan says:

Kree- Georgia On My Mind; Done or Better Dig Two ( Both by The Band Perry). She needs to do something uptempo. OR she could do pp’s gone, gone, gone. or try by Pink. So many options for kree! she just needs to do something PEOPLE KNOW.

Candice- At Last, Mirrors (Justin Timberlake) or Stars (Grace Potter)

Amber-Don’t Rain On My Parade; Heart Attack (Demi Lovato)

Angie-Someone To Watch Over Me; her cover of Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (I know it’s a lame song but Angie’s cover is fabulous)

17. Chris says:

Thank you Melinda – sold out is a great way to sum it up. If they are going off a “script” now they should probably do some reflection first.

I am excited to see what Kree and Candice are bringing to the stage Wednesday!

18. Mark says:

Now:

Amber – Next to Me (Emile Sande)
    Angie – It’s Time (Imagine Dragons)
    Candice – Hold On (Alabama Shakes)
    Kree – Better Dig Two (The Band Perry)

Then:
    Amber – Down in the Depths (Lisa Stansfield version)
    Angie – But Beautiful (Boz Scaggs version)
    Candice – Night and Day (U2 version)
    Kree – Don’t Smoke in Bed (kd Lang version

19. Shaun says:

I think Angie would suffer a bit doing Pink songs,I’d like to hear Bruno Mars or maybe Alicia Keys.

20. kewl says:

Candice is doing a male artist’s song!

21. Mafs95 says:

Standards:
    Angie – “You’re So Vain”, Carly Simon
    Amber – “Summertime”, Ella Fitzgerald
    Kree – “Sweet Dreams”, Patsy Cline
    Candice – “Doesn’t Matter Anymore”, Buddy Holly

2013 Hits:
    Angie – “Just Give Me A Reason”, Pink
    Amber – “Nuclear”, Destiny Child
    Kree – “Thrift Shop”, Macklemore
    Candice – “Blank Page”, Christina Aguilera

22. Jake says:

Now (2013):
    Amber- “Just Give Me A Reason” (P!nk ft. Nate Reuss)
    It’s in her range, got a ton of emotion, and there’s wiggle room to give her own twist.
    Angie- “I Knew You Were Trouble” (Taylor Swift)
    Minus the dub-step and AutoTune, plus a mid-paced piano backing.
    Candice- “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark” (Fall Out Boy)
    I kind of want to see Candice rock out again (they can’t call her a church girl if she does!), and I can see her giving a great soulful twist on this.
    Kree- “Two Weeks Late” (Ashley Monroe)
    At first I went with Florida-Georgia Line’s “Get Your Shine On,” but since Kree doesn’t really get her shine on with up-tempo songs, I went with this soulful country ballad instead.
    *I still wish someone would sing fun.’s “Carry On” on this show, but it doesn’t really fit any of these girls’ voices.

Then (standards):
    Amber- “Call Me Irresponsible” (Van Heusen)
    Angie- “Heart and Soul” (Hoagy Carmichael)
    Candice- “The Lady Is a Tramp” (Rodgers & Hart)
    Kree- “Someone to Watch Over Me” (Gershwin)
    *No explanations needed for these really, because we all know they’re probably all going to pick sappy ballads.

23. JM says:

Candice – better dig two or when I was your man
    Kree- downtown by lady a or mamas broken heart
    Angie- uptempo piano version of feel again one republic
    Amber- let me love you

24. Adam Fachry says:

OMG and I thought Michael wouldn’t make this thread. Here I go….

Candice
    Now (I’m gonna pretend it’s not a 2013 hits theme, 21st. century songs are more vast, obviously): Janelle Monae’s Tihtrope (“some calling me a sinner, some calling me a winner”, “You dance up on the them haters”)—Perfect song for a redemption arc! It also tells a story about an android oppressed by the machine, which is hello, Candice as the Android, and the producers as the machine(s). Erykah Badu’s Window Seat.
    Then: Don’t Rain on My Parade, Ella Fitzgerald’s version of Manhattan, Billie Holiday’s version of A Fine Romance

Kree
    Now: Neko Case’s This Tornado Loves You—Come on, Kree. Recognize this goddess! Her tone reminds me a lot of yours. I’d like to see Kree going with the alt-country approach like she does. Gillian Welch’s Elvis Presley Blues
    Then: Who’s Sorry Now?

Angie
    Now: P!nk’s Try
    Then: My Dream Is Yours

Amber
    Now: Jessie Ware’s Running. Sky Ferreira’s Everything Is Embarrassing
    Then: Dinah Washington’s version of A Foggy Day

• My Alter Ego says:

Adam, I like your list — but mainly, I like Candice tackling almost anything Ella did (with the exception of “A Tisket, a Tasket”). Ella always had great arrangements and Candice has a lot more range, so the combination could make for some very magical moments.

• Adam Fachry says:

Thank you! Yes, Candice and Ella are like a match made in heaven! Manhattan, in particular, would channel her inner chanteuse to the fullest

Now that i think about it, I’d like to revise my choices for Angie. Now: Robyn’s Hang With Me (acoustic version). Then: Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out to Dry

• Jasmine says:

I think that Sky Ferreira song sounds aaaaamaaazing! It’s so beautiful. However, I think Angela would sing it better than Amber. Especially, if Angela took out the drum beat, made the song more slicker and played the piano. That’d be a performance right there! Also, the song Sweet Talk by Jessie Ware…Angela would slay this one too! Ooh, just so many visions for this girl. But we all know that these contestants are not that creative. Jessie J’s song Who You Are, Angela did a fantastic job with it, but it wasn’t a creative song choice. Sky Ferreira and Jessie Ware, those are some creative choices because their songs are sooo different-sounding, so distinct! Anyway, Angela will do well with Diamonds. Vote for Angela, ya’ll. (I’m from TN…sue me)

• Adam Fachry says:

Have you listened to Robyn’s acoustic version of Hang With Me? I think it would fit your precious ~Angela~ like a glove better than the Sky Ferreira or Jessie Ware song. It would be a creative choice, too, cause Robyn is not just a pop singer, she’s a pop sophisticate. But other than that,, I’ve got to compliment your taste. Love the fact that someone here acknowledges Sky Ferreira and Jessie Ware! :)

• Jasmine says:

No, I haven’t listened to it. I think I’m going to check it out right now! like…right now…I’m sure it’s fabulous. Let’s see…right now…

• Jasmine says:

Wow! Just listened to Hang With Me. It’s pretty awesome, pretty eclectic…hmmm….I smell a winner here. Yeah, Angela would sing this really well…ooohhhh, how I wish she was more creative because then this would be at the top of my list for Angela to sing. Hey…I just realized something. Are you making fun of me calling her Angela?

25. Dan says:

How can Angie not sing “When I Was Your Man”? I’m pretty sure Bruno Mars recorded and released that song, specifically so Angie could sing it on American Idol to get into the finals.

26. IMHO says:

Wish 1: none of the songs have ever been done on any version of Idol ever
    Wish 2: none of the songs have ever been publicly sung or recorded by anyone associated with Idol ever
    Wish 3: good singing and arrangements that tell people what this person would record in the future
    Wish 4: all judges get struck with laryngitis so they just hold up the scripts from the producers – this could be at the start of the show so the judges can go to their sick beds for the rest of the show
    Wish 5: they get announced as equal winners and the rest of the season turns into a concert from all the ‘successful’ Idol alumni from all seasons

27. Ken says:

SONGS FROM NOW & THEN
    THEN:
    Amber: A Foggy Day
    Angie: Smile
    Candice: Lullabye Of Birdland
    Kree: Night And Day
    NOW:
    Amber: *any Rihanna song*
    Angie: *How i wish try sleeping with a broken heart is a 2013 song* I Knew You Were Trouble (minus the dubstep) / State Of Grace / Wings
    Candice: My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark
    Kree: I Will Wait / Ho Hey

28. Name That Tune says:

Candice said she would like to sing “Gone” by Lianne LaHavas. I think she would slay it. So sometime between now and the finale.
    And Nature Boy seems to be on her radar so I will take a dose of that.

• Name That Tune says:

Now I am really excited. We’re going to get a Sarah Vaughn/Billie Holiday ditty called “You’ve changed” from Candice. Hope the second sing is Lianne.
      Amber is playing it safe with “My Funny Vakentine”

• Bob says:

I’m really disappointed by Candice’s pick, assuming it is “You’ve Changed.” There are so many much better standards out there. Anything by Cole Porter would be fantastic. Candice, in my opinion, is by far the best this year, but I fear her song will put her at a disadvantage before she even opens her mouth.

29. dani n. says:

The question IS will AMBER revive My Funny Valentine cause she slated on that song..that’s why I am still voting for her. I’m loyal that way.And really I will miss her when she’s noted off even though her song choices have been half&half.Kree has consistently picked songs I like and Candice has killed on a couple of songs. I wouldn’t mind if any of them win. It’s really funny seeing one of my picks for the first time ever getting the over done lavish treatment. Don’t forget the lazy judges use notes from rehearsals. So who knows maybe Amber kicked booty during the rehearsal. AND why the big deal about Nikki calling Amber Angie??? Moms do it to their kids all the time. ALSO maybe LAZ was right and Angie is a psycho B.And that’s why judges want Amber. It won’t happen.Angie’s got this thing sewn up.

30. Name That Tune says:

All of them chose great classic songs but the best part is that Harry Connick Jr is going to mentor them. Should be a great night of singing.
    I am loving the choices that Candice and Kree made.

31. deedee says:

For the 2013 song, I’d love to hear Candice take on Bruno Mars’ “If I Was Your Man” from the woman’s POV. It’s such a gorgeous song!

• deedee says:

sorry, I meant “When I Was Your Man”.

• deedee says:

GAH! I just saw the spoilers. Candice IS doing this song! When I heard it in the car today, I though, oh lord, this has Candice written all over it. I can’t believe she picked it! I never get these things right. :-)

• Mary says:

I also heard she couldn’t change the lyrics so I am not so sure how it will turn out. Should be interesting.

32. Fernando says:

Standards —
    Kree: “Crying” (Roy Orbison, k.d. lang) or “Stand By Your Man” (Tammy Wynette)

Angie: “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” (Bette Midler, Andrews Sisters)

Amber: “This Bitter Earth” (Dinah Washington) (would like to see her do something more subtle than her usual diva anthems)

Candice: “Misty” (Ella Fitzgerald) or “Don’t Go to Strangers” (Etta Jones)

Now–
    Kree: “A Good Man,” Holly Williams (she could kill this)

Angie: “Just Give Me a Reason” (Pink)

Amber: “It Will Rain” (Bruno Mars)

Candice: not sure about hers

33. Guitar Blue says:

Anybody remember the catfight between Katy Perry and Kara DioGaurdi, when Katy was a guest judge for auditions? If you google the two names together with Idol, you might find it.

odds/polls are basically indicating that Kree, Candice and Angie are at almost even odds (with each other) to win. Amber is the longshot at this point. ……

So, no one has it “in the bag” – some who strongly support both Amber and Candice,and are splitting votes to keep them on, may cause one or the other to leave this week. The other 2 are not going to have much vote splitting, as they represent different styles and draw their own fans at this point. …..

Song choices could make the difference. Kree sometimes makes some strange song choices like She Talks To Angels and then delivers them in an odd way. One more slip-up and Angie or Candice will overtake her with those who “vote on the night” rather than already have their favorite and gonna vote for them no matter what.

• Name That Tune says:

Except the logic doesn’t quite work. I’ve been looking forward to a Candice/Kree finale. My vote isn’t split between Candice & Amber. It’s split between Candice & Kree. The separation between these 2 is slim.
      We will have a night when one of them goes home. All season I have thrown 100% of my votes for Candice. If she doesn’t make the finale, those votes go to Kree.

34. syb says:

Lullabye of Birdland has Candice written all over it. Amber? Really?

But Candice is taking on Lady Day. Could be epic. Good luck to her. Crawl out of that bottom 2 hole baby. Gotta see you in the finale. Nobody’s going to beat Angie, unfortunately, but let’s get every last song out of you before the confetti falls.
    Go Candice.

35. darcy's evil twin says:

Standards –
    Angie – Hoagy Carmichael’s “Stardust” or maybe “Makin’ Whoopee” (I can’t remember who wrote that one).
    Kree – Cole Porter’s “Night and Day”
    Candice – She must sing my all-time favorite, Harold Arlen/Ira Gershwin’s “The Man That Got Away”
    Amber – “More Than You Know” – who wrote that? Billy Rose? I can’t remember. Or Jule Styne’s “People”.
    However, we’ll have to endure “Summertime”, “Someone to Watch Over Me” (which wouldn’t be so bad), and God forbid, “Georgia on My Mind” for the umpteenth time.

• Name That Tune says:

DET no Summertime or GOMM.

• marie says:

I adore Candice. But I have to disagree on this one; I don’t think she’d be able to bring to “The Man That Got Away” the power of the Garland original (or for that matter, the vulnerability of the Rosemary Clooney recording). Nah, I’d pass on this one. I DO like what I’ve seen for her standard for the spoilers, though! And if Connick is mentoring, wow, perfect!

• darcy's evil twin says:

You might be right, marie, but I LOVE that song. Have you ever heard Striesand sing it? And Harry Connick is there! :-)

36. darcy's evil twin says:

thank goodness!
    I thought about some 2013 songs but couldn’t really think of anything better or add to what others have already suggested.

37. daynamonet says:

I found some spoilers. These are the songs they’re singing this week (supposedly)

Then:
    Amber – My Funny Valentine (hope not, but prolly true)
    Angie – Someone to Watch Over Me
    Kree – Stormy Weather
    Candice – You’ve Changed

Now:
    Amber – Just Give Me A Reason, pink and nate ruess ( i haven’t heard this song but since its pink, i already feel like its a step out of the box for amber so i’m rooting for her
    Angie – diamonds (heard her sing it on youtube so she should do well)
    Candice – when i was your man, bruno mars (yeah this has candice written all over it, but will she say “woman” instead of “man”?
    Kree – See you again, carrie underwood ( i like that she’s singing carrie underwood, good job Kree)

• Mark says:

This is disappointing, but it could have been worse. At least no one is doing Somewhere Over the Rainbow for the 26th time. That was my worst case scenario.

• deedee says:

I’m hoping that Candice will turn it into “When You Were My Man” rather than “When I Was Your Woman”. Puts a whole different spin on the song. For Bruno, it’s about regret. For Candice (if she sings it that way) it will be a sort of a “you snooze, you lose” thing:

Now your baby’s dancing
      But she’s dancing with another man

Do all the things you should have done
      When you were my man

That would be very cool.

• Adam Fachry says:

Love this interpretation. It sort of reminds me of what R. Kelly did to Beyonce’s If I Were a Boy.

• Adam Fachry says:

Or she could just change it to “When I Was Your Girl” though. To prevent the additional syllable of Woman.

• Jasmine says:

I thought the songs were from 2013. Diamonds by Rihanna is not a 2013 song. It was released in 2012. They need to stop having these themes if no one is going to follow them. It could have been called Songs from the past two years, then. Whatever, it’s puny. I’m just talking right now, don’t mind me. Anyway, vote for Angela. Even though that song is not a 2013 song, I’m sure Angela will slay it after seeing her performance of it on YouTube. Hold on to those high notes, Angela, and you’ll soar through to the Final 3. Wooh!

• Mafs95 says:

Amber is playing way too safe by singing “My Funny Valentine” but let’s be honest… she was amazing when she did it the first time. I hope these ladies bring it tomorrow!

• Jongirl says:

I LOVE the idea of Angie singing “Someone to Watch Over Me”. I just hope she doesn’t oversing it, or belt it. That song requires tenderness, like she brought to “Yesterday”.

• Mary says:

Posted somewhere else, but she cannot change the lyrics, so it will be interesting how it turns out.

• MamaLis says:

Interesting spoilers except I don’t think Candice is necessarily going to “substitute the word woman” and call it good. Could be trickier than that. The song is a strong man’s perspective song, with the ‘buying flowers’ and ‘remembering how you liked to dance,’ etc. And there’s a LOT of it!! I’m thinking it’s going to take a bit more artistry and she’s either going to have sing it second person narrative – telling the story of a man and his girl – OR make herself the girl in the song (i.e. Now I’m dancin.. with another man.) Tricky… but potentially AWESOME.

38. Jasmine says:

Both Slezak’s choices for Angie are wack! She can do better than that. Not to say that Carly Simon sucks. She doesn’t. She’s amazing. But, for Angela? I don’t think so. Not at all. And the other song, that song is lackluster, the chorus is boring. Whatever Angie decides to do, I hope it keeps her in the TOP 2. VOTE FOR ANGELA!

39. Miscellaneopolan says:

Man, Slezak REALLY wants someone to sing that Two Black Cadillacs song. He mentions it in, like, every other post. So much so that I actually listened to it, and… c’mon. It’s a fun song, but does anyone expect Amber Holcomb to sing a song about premeditated murder? I get that these are dream set lists, but I wish they were tempered with a little knowledge about what the contestants might actually choose.

40. Adam Fachry says:

I wish Idol contestants or americans in general gave more credit to less popular pop artists such as Solange (she might always be Bey’s second-best sister, but her True EP shows great artistry), Sky Ferreira, Jessie Ware, and Robyn. Also Candice needs to dig deeper into less obvious r&b music by listening to records by Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, and Ledisi. I can see Amber or Angie being totally current yet interesting by singing their songs. I think Solange’s Lovers In The Parking Lot would be tailor-made for Amber. Amber needs to learn more how to tone down her tendency to sing songs with big ranges and plethora of upper-registers. She could learn that by singing Aaliyah-esque r&b songs, which the said Solange song sort of exhibits.

41. Guitar Blue says:

I see The Voice is going to be in the same time slot as Idol after this week – a week from today. Don’t know if it’s just for one week, but they will be running against the top 3 on Idol.

42. idolscaintsing says:

Amber Wonderful World/Stay
    Angie Smile/Never say you cant
    Candace All the Way/Feel this moment
    Kreep Georgia/I will wait

Has anyone done At Last this year?

43. In it to win it, dawg! says:

Since Candice is the second coming of Sarah Vaughn, she should choose one of her songs.

44. jan says:

Gene Simmons did an excellent job years ago when he appeared as a guest judge. spot-on, thoughtful critiques
    Candice singing “Doesn’t Matter Anymore” by Buddy Holly as suggested above – she was the best of the 3 who sang it in Vegas last year