American Horror Story Adds The Big C's Gabourey Sidibe to Bewitching Season 3

Get More: Casting News

Gabourey Sidibe American Horror StoryGabourey Sidibe is going from The Big C to The Scary C.

The Oscar-nominated actress is joining the cast of American Horror Story: Coven, series cocreator Ryan Murphy announced on Twitter Monday morning.

RELATED | Glee‘s Jonathan Groff to Romance Taylor Kitsch in Ryan Murphy’s HBO Film The Normal Heart

She joins returning AHS fixtures Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Frances Conroy and Taissa Farmiga, in addition to “new kid” Kathy Bates, who is playing what Murphy has called “a bad, bad woman,” someone “five times worse than [her] Misery character — which is why she liked it.”

Coven will mark the first time AHS will go on the road and shoot on location. (The Harmon House and asylum interiors of Seasons 1 and 2 were sets on a studio.) “The fun thing is researching what are the really haunted places in America, and we have a couple doozy locales,” Murphy revealed at Paley Fest last month.

RELATED | Ryan Murphy’s Sexy Pilot Open Lands at HBO

And while the name Coven implies a central storyline pertaining to witches, Murphy noted that the scares will come from a variety of sources. “It’s about a lot of things,” he added.

Murphy had also previously stated that the new season will be “more historical in nature” and take place in modern day. But just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.” Bates and Lange, meanwhile, will portray best friends-turned-arch enemies.

Excited about Sidibe joining in the spooky fun? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (24)

• At first glance I was like “Ehhhh….” But I can actually kinda see it

Comment by Rrrrrr – April 29, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL piggy

Comment by Mike – April 29, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh.

Comment by iMember – April 29, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Isn’t “Ha ha, fat person!” the most tired excuse of a joke anyone can trot out these days?

Comment by Brooke – April 29, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! This is the girl who starred in the movie Precious. She was brilliant in it.

Comment by iMember – April 29, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she plays a witch, she has the face of one. lol But she has a face of a comedy show instead of a horror show, still… am excited… never heard of her before, but glad that AHS introduced me to great actors like Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe, Evan Peters and others.

Comment by July – April 29, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do I get the feeling that Ryan Murphy is going to throw some kind of voodoo into the storyline? If so, all I can say is how cliche’.

Comment by Ronnie – April 29, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree I see it now. Voodoo and new orleans.

Comment by Rachel – April 29, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is terrific!

Comment by Dennis – April 29, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chloe Sevigny needs to return! :( she was wasted last season.

Comment by Cherry – April 29, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was amusing using the West Indian accent in Tower Heist but she can’t act to save her life. Jessica Lange will make mincemeat of her.

Comment by Elliott – April 29, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, getting nominated for an Oscar for her debut performance, totally can’t act…

Comment by Helen – April 29, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her. I can’t see her fitting in with this show but I like her as an actress. My first thought unfortunately is he’ll be using her appearance to make his next ‘monster’

Comment by lisa – April 29, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope she doesent eat any of the actors.

Comment by anil – April 29, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh disgusted and disappointed with the amount of comments like this.

Comment by Guy – April 29, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for saying that, Guy. She’s not my favorite by any means but it surely has nothing to do with her size. So disgusted by the numerous rude comments about her appearance. It’s a petty, sad world we live in.

Comment by tripoli – April 29, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good on you Gabby I wish you all the best Shame on you people for making terrible remarks about her looks Easy for you to hide behind your computer and be verbally abusive.

Comment by maureen black – April 30, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me either. I hope she comes to your house and eat you and your family. Immature bastard

Comment by TvjunkE – April 29, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If these detractors had seen her on any of her talk show appearances, they would realize how diiferent she is from “Precious”…she really was good in it as well as in Seven Psychopaths and The Big C

Comment by Coolio Jackson – April 29, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh this isn’t good. I just think Gabby’s going to bring this down.

Comment by Ian – April 29, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh I wish it would be just about witches. While I really enjoyed Asylum, I definitely could have done without the alien storyline.

Comment by A – April 29, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad to see the nasty hurtful comments about a person that know one knows. Interesting how easy it is to throw stones. While I’m not sure how she will fit into the new “Coven” I am excited to see the next season. After all we wouldn’t all be on here if the writers weren’t brilliant with the story lines….with the exception of the aliens. Love the idea of witches and Kathy Bates as well. Gabourey will do a great job as well.

Comment by Kim – May 5, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of these comments are filled with ignorance. She’s a great actress no matter what she looks like. I’m excited for this new season.

Comment by Lena – May 22, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All jokes aside! Love the show and glad they chose someone who does not look like the norm in Hollywood (the skinny type)! However she really needs to lose some weight! It is very unhealthy! I do not know why people get offended when this is suggested. I do not like when people make fat jokes, as being overweight is no joke! Truth be told, it’s just not healthy. Even one of the Queens of Comedy, Monique, lost weight! She kept glorifying it, but had to come to reality and see being that big is a disaster! I do wish her all the best however, but she needs t take control of he weight before it’s too late!

Comment by Antonio – October 10, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post