American Horror Story Adds The Big C's Gabourey Sidibe to Bewitching Season 3

Gabourey Sidibe American Horror StoryGabourey Sidibe is going from The Big C to The Scary C.

The Oscar-nominated actress is joining the cast of American Horror Story: Coven, series cocreator Ryan Murphy announced on Twitter Monday morning.

RELATED | Glee‘s Jonathan Groff to Romance Taylor Kitsch in Ryan Murphy’s HBO Film The Normal Heart

She joins returning AHS fixtures Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Frances Conroy and Taissa Farmiga, in addition to “new kid” Kathy Bates, who is playing what Murphy has called “a bad, bad woman,” someone “five times worse than [her] Misery character — which is why she liked it.”

Coven will mark the first time AHS will go on the road and shoot on location. (The Harmon House and asylum interiors of Seasons 1 and 2 were sets on a studio.) “The fun thing is researching what are the really haunted places in America, and we have a couple doozy locales,” Murphy revealed at Paley Fest last month.

RELATED | Ryan Murphy’s Sexy Pilot Open Lands at HBO

And while the name Coven implies a central storyline pertaining to witches, Murphy noted that the scares will come from a variety of sources. “It’s about a lot of things,” he added.

Murphy had also previously stated that the new season will be “more historical in nature” and take place in modern day. But just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.” Bates and Lange, meanwhile, will portray best friends-turned-arch enemies.

Excited about Sidibe joining in the spooky fun? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rrrrrr says:

At first glance I was like “Ehhhh….” But I can actually kinda see it

2. Mike says:

LOL piggy

3. iMember says:

No! This is the girl who starred in the movie Precious. She was brilliant in it.

4. July says:

I hope she plays a witch, she has the face of one. lol But she has a face of a comedy show instead of a horror show, still… am excited… never heard of her before, but glad that AHS introduced me to great actors like Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe, Evan Peters and others.

5. Ronnie says:

Why do I get the feeling that Ryan Murphy is going to throw some kind of voodoo into the storyline? If so, all I can say is how cliche’.

6. Dennis says:

She is terrific!

7. Cherry says:

Chloe Sevigny needs to return! :( she was wasted last season.

8. Elliott says:

She was amusing using the West Indian accent in Tower Heist but she can’t act to save her life. Jessica Lange will make mincemeat of her.

9. lisa says:

I like her. I can’t see her fitting in with this show but I like her as an actress. My first thought unfortunately is he’ll be using her appearance to make his next ‘monster’

10. anil says:

i hope she doesent eat any of the actors.

• Guy says:

Ugh disgusted and disappointed with the amount of comments like this.

• tripoli says:

Thank you for saying that, Guy. She’s not my favorite by any means but it surely has nothing to do with her size. So disgusted by the numerous rude comments about her appearance. It’s a petty, sad world we live in.

• maureen black says:

Good on you Gabby I wish you all the best Shame on you people for making terrible remarks about her looks Easy for you to hide behind your computer and be verbally abusive.

• Rick Warren says:

What you should be disgusted in is this womans unhealthy appearance and apologists like you who seem to justify it… thereby setting a wonderful example for our children and future generations… “dont worry it is okay you are morbidly obese and unhealthy due to the fact that you eat like an out of control animal… Its not your fault…. WAIT A SECOND YES IT IS!!!!!” Stop justifying disgusting behavior like this. She sets an example that you can make it in life being an undisciplined slob.

• TvjunkE says:

Me either. I hope she comes to your house and eat you and your family. Immature bastard

11. Coolio Jackson says:

If these detractors had seen her on any of her talk show appearances, they would realize how diiferent she is from “Precious”…she really was good in it as well as in Seven Psychopaths and The Big C

12. Ian says:

Oh this isn’t good. I just think Gabby’s going to bring this down.

13. A says:

Ugh I wish it would be just about witches. While I really enjoyed Asylum, I definitely could have done without the alien storyline.

14. Kim says:

Very sad to see the nasty hurtful comments about a person that know one knows. Interesting how easy it is to throw stones. While I’m not sure how she will fit into the new “Coven” I am excited to see the next season. After all we wouldn’t all be on here if the writers weren’t brilliant with the story lines….with the exception of the aliens. Love the idea of witches and Kathy Bates as well. Gabourey will do a great job as well.

15. Lena says:

All of these comments are filled with ignorance. She’s a great actress no matter what she looks like. I’m excited for this new season.

16. Antonio says:

All jokes aside! Love the show and glad they chose someone who does not look like the norm in Hollywood (the skinny type)! However she really needs to lose some weight! It is very unhealthy! I do not know why people get offended when this is suggested. I do not like when people make fat jokes, as being overweight is no joke! Truth be told, it’s just not healthy. Even one of the Queens of Comedy, Monique, lost weight! She kept glorifying it, but had to come to reality and see being that big is a disaster! I do wish her all the best however, but she needs t take control of he weight before it’s too late!