Good Wife: Josh Charles Reacts to Twist Ending, Looks Ahead to Season 5′s 'Great Conflict'

Get More: Finales, Previews

good wife season 5 spoilersViewers weren’t the only ones caught off guard by the twist in the closing moments of Sunday’s Good Wife finale. The clever bait-and-switch — which found Alicia rendezvousing with new business partner Cary and not longtime crush Will —  left the latter’s portrayer, Josh Charles, in a state of shock and awe, too.

RELATED | Good Wife Season Finale Post Mortem: Exec Producer Robert King Confirms ‘Alicia’s With Peter Now’

“My first impression when I read [the script] was that I was surprised, in a really good way,” the actor tells TVLine. “I did not see that coming. I thought it was a brilliant stroke of writing and storytelling that sets the show up really nicely for next [season].”

Making the cliffhanger all the more satisfying was that it was “organic and authentic” as opposed to a stunt intended to “shake stuff up just to shake it up.” Alicia’s decision to launch a new firm with Cary “makes sense [because] these seeds have been planted a while ago and they’ve been building… So much of the show is about Alicia’s evolution personally and professionally and the moral tightrope she walks, and she’s seen a lot of things as partner that haven’t been very pleasant. So maybe she feels like this is an opportunity to explore running a business the way she wants.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including ArrowThe Vampire DiariesNCIS, Glee and More!

Furthermore, echoing what series cocreator Robert King told TVLine, Charles views Alicia’s decision to quit Lockhart Gardner as, at least partially, a way for her to separate herself from Will, although he acknowledges that it “doesn’t resolve” the triangle. If anything, Charles speculates, it could set the stage for Will and Alicia to be an official item at some point down the line.

“There are a lot of reasons why these two probably shouldn’t be together, and one of the big reasons is he’s her boss,” he points out. “And you take that element out of it and… while I don’t think it necessarily means they’re going to immediately end up together or anything, it takes out one obstacle. Alicia is not going to be working under Will.”

On the flipside, they’ll be professional rivals for the first time. “It’s going to be interesting to see them be competitors,” he says. “I think it’s going to bring out a lot of great conflict, both for the show and those two characters.”

Comments (64)

• I’m very excited at the prospect of seeing Will and Alicia arguing against each other. Their interactions in Red Team, Blue Team with the mock trial were electrifying. Their chemistry is amazing.

Comment by rachelle – April 28, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly my thoughts. Adding professional conflict to the already sky high sexual tension between Will and Alicia can only lead to very interesting things, indeed. ;)

Comment by Danielle – April 29, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Cary and Kalinda???? GRRRR!

Comment by Lucy – April 28, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about Kalinda and WIll? Diane is leaving the firm…so our main characters are getting to be pretty splintered. What’s going to happen next season!

Great ending!

Comment by Josh – April 29, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a darn good lawyer, and a darn good wife, and that’s what I tune in to see. Not her screwing around with Will. Why not have her throw cases? Why stop at adultery?

Comment by bobbie – April 28, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been wondering the same thing too. There are a lot of fans that still have a bite when it comes to talking about Peter and his infidelity, but supposedly she is back with Peter now…as poetically justified as it is for her to still act on her yearning with Will, I really think she needs to draw a line in the concrete (as opposed to the erasable sand) after she remakes her vows with Peter or else she’s going to turn into a hypocrite. Again, I can see the justifications, but it’s still wrong.

Comment by takakupo – April 29, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion Alicias decision to stick with her husband is the best choice. I have been watching the Good Wife since the begining and even though he cheated on her the rest of the stuff that they printed in the news papers were lies. No one is perfect we all make mistakes. Peter sufferd the consequences of his actions, but don’t forget that Alicia also slept with Will while she is still married to Peter. The best decision is leaving the firm and go with Cary and get a fresh start away from the influence of Will.

Comment by Minerva Clinton – April 29, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so tune in to she if Alicia and Will are going to get together. She’s not as bright as I thought she was if she gets back with Peter the Cheater!

Comment by Kathy – April 29, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • tell you what? am so tired of seeing alicia and will kissing, f***ing and all that. what about some romance for a change btn peter and alicia. am even thinking of boycotting season 5 til someones tells me peter and alicia are really together.
      I ve even thought the producers and director enjoy this kind of drama.Well its a good show but am fad up.

Comment by oooppp – August 9, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Cary and Alicia joining up to create their own law firm means Cary will get more time on-screen.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – April 28, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!! :) hoping for that too.

Comment by tamara – April 29, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless they repair Kalinda & Alicia’s friendship, whole lotta no1curr right here.

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 28, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww Josh Charles!!! I love him so much. Come on writer, stop the bs and give us Will/Alicia!!!

Btw why anyone don’t ask about “the talk”, i wish someone would ask this to the King’s or even to Josh but no one is asking and that is really important for will/alicia relationship

Comment by Mandy – April 28, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes me too! A lot was said in these interviews like the triangle would be resolved and it would be permanent, well nothing was clear or resolved so is this permanent? or did she choose Peter and that is permanent? I feel lied to and so much more confused

Comment by Tina B. – April 29, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will & Alicia have so much chemistry together! I want more of that and less of Peter. You can’t stop love! Josh and Alicia are the show to me.

Comment by della – July 3, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant to say Will and Alicia.

Comment by della – July 3, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still Team Will all the way!

Comment by Devon – April 28, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Team Wil also. She took away the problem of having a relationship with her boss so now they can develop the storyline of what it would be like with them together. She is not happy with Peter who used her to get elected, she just needs to open her eyes to the truth that she does not love Peter anymore.

Comment by dlferriola – April 29, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent twist. Did not see tht coming. I was freaking out thinking Will was standing her up and then it is Cary at the door. Awesome. That being said, I desperately want Alicia and Will together, so I am afraid that this choice indicates her choosing Peter. But I would like to think the writers meant it more as her choosing herself and what was best for her.
    I would like to see a time jump of a few months. The 4th years have started their own firm and maybe it is the first Lockhart Gardner vs Agos Florrick case. And Alicia is still single.

Comment by Mandy – April 28, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that’s a great idea. But the one thin that no ones talking about is that Diane may not even be Will’s partner if she gets the nomination and then confirmation. Looks like the cheese (Will) stands alone.

Comment by Rob – April 28, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like they will find a way for this not to happen. Maybe it will be because of Diane’s marriage plans or something, but I like the symmetry of Diane and Will vs Alicia and Cary and want to see that play out.

Comment by Mandy – April 29, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh no. i dont want to see a time jump. i NEED to see the look on Will and Diane’s face when they find out.

Comment by onthegointo – April 29, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The strange thing about illicit affairs are that they make you do stupid things, and the stupidest thing Alicia and Will have ever done was kiss each other in a car on election night. It could have so easily been a photographer outside the car rather than Diane. They dodged a major bullet when Diane “rescued” them!

Excellent season finale. It’s going to be a long summer (which is fine by me).

Comment by TV Gord – April 28, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I apologize for being annoying and asking this in the other article, but where has Julius (the partner at LG that does family law) been this season? Did he leave the firm awhile back and I somehow missed it? I miss the days when he and David Lee would quarrel! :)

Comment by CultureVulture – April 28, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah…those episodes with Michael Ealy & them were priceless :)….I think I still have one of them on my DVR

Comment by Sara – April 29, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was Michael Boatman that played Julius.

Comment by vdofan – April 29, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say the finale was awsome the triangle with will/alicia/peter was getting old it seemed very staled so having her not work at gardner/lockheart will change the relationship and open doors to new stories. Alicia/cary was great last week he refered to them as the new diane and will they have definetly come along way from there begining there where they were competing together for the final spot. It was also good how at the begining when they showed cary trying to rent the space that he was struggling and with alicia he isn’t. The election stuff not as interesting it seemed more of a back story but it was good. Not sure where galinda will fall once the show returns but we will see especially with alicia leaving. The first episode will be interesting when they leave i don’t see will being to happy especially with cary and alicia taking some of their good clients. Can’t wait till next season

Comment by hallie – April 28, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking all week long (ok, obsessing) that Alicia would go with Cary, so she could be with Will personally but not professionally. Disapponting that she did it to break up with him, although in her recent interview JM mentioned Alicia & Will’s backstory was “a stone that shouldn’t be left unturned.” Looking forward to more from this hot couple well into the future…

Comment by Christine – April 29, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t stand Will. I would rather see Alicia with Jackie’s boy toy.

Comment by nikki – April 29, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahaha! I agree wholeheartedly!

Comment by takakupo – April 29, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find name calling and put downs most juvenile and it certainly tends to negate a value included content comments. Putting out negatives does not change the factual behaviors denoted by the writers depicting Will’s character. This tactic only backfires on the speaker. Backing up positions with actions as written in the past story events are much more likely to be convincing.

Comment by guest – June 2, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guessed that it was going to be Cary on the other side of the door and not Will. I like that setup much better. I knew it was him cause there is no way Alica would have had a rendezvous with Will at her apartment!

Comment by Christina – April 29, 2013 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! I was sitting there saying it would be Cary or Will because in sense she had something important to discuss with both of them. In a sense I’m glad it was Cary, and now I wonder where this leaves her and will.

I also hope the writers resolve Cary and Kalinda! I love those two together.

Comment by sweetdayo – April 29, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes..that is exactly what we were thinking as well. I really like the direction it is going. I like Alicia and Cary together. Can’t wait for next season! :)

Comment by Kim R – April 29, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked when Cary and Alicia were teamed up against Will and Diane and was disappointed that it ended so soon, so I was looking forward to this possibly happening. I’m sorry Kalinda didn’t go with them though. I could care less who Alicia ends up with romantically, just have her both feet in with whoever she picks ugh.

Comment by Tee – April 29, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Peter is Governor will Diane become a judge or does her relationship with Gary Coles character put a stop to that?

Comment by Sparky – April 29, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tired of this love triangle. It’s too soapy. They should just kill off Peter.. or Will… or both for that matter.

Comment by inanob – April 29, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks to JC for these comments, he’s amazingly talented! I love Will, looking forward to his storylines!

Comment by Alex – April 29, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone explain the big scene when Alecia is in the bedroom and she sees someone dressed like Will (or is it actually Will) and how this precipitates her decision to join Cary’s firm? I just did not get that scene at all!!!

Comment by Sheila Johnsrude – April 29, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion (haha) if she is to truly choose Peter & her family unit, she realized that she had to separate herself physically from Will (seeing him every day at work would not work for her if she was to move forward with Peter). So when she saw that man from the bedroom, thought it was Will and recognized how that made her feel, she came to the decision that she had to make a change and remove herself from the situation. :)

Comment by Kim R – April 29, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I differ in opinion here (to the other response), I think her seeing Will was her kind of last vision of him. In my mind, she knows that if she makes this decision (to call Cary) she knows she’s going to upset Will and might ultimately cause them to have no more personal relationship (for the time being). So seeing Will was her sort of hallucinating and thinking about being with him one last time, maybe her last hesitation to leave the firm and change her mind, and then finally moving on from that (when he disappears) and choosing to go along with Cary. Honestly I’m not sure how much Alicia thought about Peter. I think the decision here was between Will and Cary.
      I guess my big problem with this finale was all the speculation and promotion for it. There was no final decision. Will and Alicia didn’t talk. Peter knows something was still going on between Will and Alicia now too (“are you gonna punch me?” or something was what Will say to Peter.
      So no, I don’t think Will and Alicia is resolved. I do however think in Alicia’s mind, what she’s doing to Will and Diane will ultimately put the breaks on said recovered relationship between her and Will. I think what she doesn’t realize is that while Will might be hurt, this decision could ultimately make their relationship possibility a more practical and realistic one. If the King’s really do like to write realistically I can absolutely see their relationship becoming real in time next season. And I really like what Josh Charles has to say here :)

Comment by Maddie – April 29, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It signifies her obsession with Will–it wasn’t him but now she is seeing him when he’s not there. She has to get away from him and get control of herself.

Comment by Sharon Abramczyk (@blondeclyde) – May 27, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s episode was one of the best hours of TV I’ve seen in a long time!! Lots of fun twists and turns, good use of guest stars, and a great set up for next season!

Comment by JR – April 29, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show doesn’t forget that Peter and Alicia, as the Governor and First Lady of the State of Illinois, are going to be MUCH higher-profile now. A First Lady who eschews life in Springfield in favor of starting her own law firm in Chicago? Doesn’t anybody think that’ll make the papers?

Comment by Graymalkin56 (@Graymalkin56) – April 29, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory was correct! So happy with the story so far. Maybe will n alicia r end game but for now Peter was the right choice.

Comment by shuayb – April 29, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know this was the season finale, but I was very pleased with the ending. I had a strong feeling that she’d called Cary. I’m looking forward to next season.

Comment by scorpionglow – April 29, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All-in-all this is the way a popular series should end the season — with a plausible cliff-hanger. Too often the writers go for a ridiculous plot — e.g., the main character is shot, arrested for murder, lost at sea, etc. when everyone knows it’s all going to work out within the first two episodes of the next season. I like this twist. If Diane Lockhart becomes a state supreme court justice and all the other main characters go off to join this new law firm it would certainly seem that Lockhart-Gardner will cease to be the primary setting for next year’s show. I can see how making that change might open up a lot of new story lines. It’s not clear to me how the governor’s wife can function in the legal profession in Illinois without there being a significant conflict of interest (in fact, I thought that was a major failing of last night’s script — a candidates wife and son being part of a legal case relating to voter fraud? ) . I’m not sure that would happen even in Chicago. It’s also not clear to me how Alicia ceases to be a named partner at Lockhart-Gardner. Didn’t she have to make a substantial financial investment in Lockhart-Gardner (as I recall $300K-$400K) to get that named partner position? That’s a lot of money to leave on the table after only holding the job for a couple of months. Otherwise, I’m glad that whole election story line is over. That story was getting more than tired.

Comment by Tom – April 29, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alicia is/was a “partner” … not a “named partner” … otherwise it would be “Lockhart-Gardner-Florick” (which would never have floated with the more senior partners. Further, she had to come up with a *portion* of the buy-in, not all of it … and when she leaves there would be some part of the partnership agreement that would deal with how she is bought out, likely affected by whatever clients the new firm poaches, etc. These are the smallest pieces of the puzzle/potential conflct, imo … fairly routine in the “law firm” world.

Comment by Mark D. Moss – April 29, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes the money thing got me too.

Comment by Maddie – April 29, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I took the finale a different way. I kept remembering that Diane told Will to break up with Alicia if he was seeing her, and he did. I saw this finale as Alicia leaving L/G to stay with Will and Diane couldn’t say anything anymore. Otherwise, wouldn’t Alicia have been with her husband and his acceptance speech – rather than meeting with Cary ? I wish this show continued all year long. It’s the best show on tv .

Comment by Vicki K – April 29, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Alicia sees the “Republican” poll worker, she obviously realizes that her husband’s campaign was crooked … but I don’t think it a stretch for her to wonder how complicit her firm might have been in some part of what happened. Even if she didn’t connect those dots, and the decision plays out as you note … how long will it be before hubby spills the beans about Will knowing? Putting Will in the place of finding out and confronting Peter in that way plants those seeds firmly.

Comment by Mark D. Moss – April 29, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like the finale of Good Wife. She needs to be with Will. I don’t think she should put her feelings aside when she clearly wants to be with him. Peter is a user and a cheat. End of story……I cannot believe she has decided to join Cary’s firm when Will and Dianne saw that she was offered a partnership. I am beginning to think that Alicia is very greedy……

Comment by Bre – April 29, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plus, with Alicia moving to a new firm, she doesn’t have to stick around and have Diane treat her like a naughty child for sleeping with Will. (well, not for long.)

Comment by Sunny Gee – May 1, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is going on with Jackie’s boy toy?

Comment by Rhea – May 1, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn I love this damn show! Very gifted writer. What he does with his pen is simply remarkable. Please jeep doing what you do. I have been a loyal fan since the very first episode and have been drawn in since!!! Thank you for very well thought out content. This is the only show beside scandal that I actually turn the TV on for. And I DON’T watch TV. #iAMaFilmmaker

Comment by Tery Wilson – May 3, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been a fan from the beginning, I like Julianne she is great. Alicia, needs to move forward, new law firm, new man (no more Will or Peter). Go Alicia go.

Comment by Merri A Vieira – May 5, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cary and Alicia having their own firm, Peter became the governor and dianne will become a judge. Cary will talk alicia to call kalinda to join them. Not sure if Kalinda will accept but I am sure Will Gardener will be left alone with david lee and co. This is going to be tough. (Will and Kalinda has an evidence to put peter in trouble. Peter Rig the election)….. Shout out to my favorite. “Elsbeth Tascioni” She is one crazy intelligent lady with a crazy humor. Her humor makes me cum. and big up to Peter and Eli Gold. those are my men……

Comment by Solomon – May 11, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any idea when Season 5 is starting? Can’t wait!

Comment by TGWFan – May 14, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay so my take on the finale, and what is to come.
    Peter wins the election. Alecia plays the doting wife card, then quickly sheds that skin and sneaks away. She looks distant. It’s obvious she does not want to be part of this.
    She thinks she sees will. She looks elated. Ready to run off with him. It’s not will though. All of a sudden everything is clear. She needs to escape the firm. She needs to escape Peter. There’s only one way to do all that and get what she wants. She said it herself. There may not be a way out of their feelings this time.
    She calls someone to meet her. Flees the party and her family without word and prepares herself for the biggest decision of her life.
    If she gets away from the firm, she can start over. Will is going to understand. He has to. She’s not afraid. She has more plans.

Who knows. If she infiltrates herself into Cary’s little circle too she may be able to get more dirt. Get the clients back to her firm. And shut down his operation. Making will all the more proud and in love with her.
    However they fell in love fighting on opposite sides. I think she wants to try that on for size.
    We watched her withdraw from Peter and try slipping into the arms of will. Throughout the finale. I think this is a whole new chain of events that is going to have us all at the edge of our seats in shock.
    And I think she is done with Peter.
    We watched as she found our detail after detail of the corruption. As she found Peter trying to deal with her family. The corruption in the campaign, even them saying he will lose without her pulling something big. Before the end she wanted nothing but to get away from it all. Suddenly she’s told he won’t survive losing her and the campaign. So she insures he wins the campaign and departs immediately after to finish the plan. Leaving the firm may or may not happen. But her plans will soon be revealed. In the end you see a woman with a mission. A plot that only she can properly work out. She has to do it right. And she’s on her way. They said she would make a decision. They never said it would be revealed entirely.

Comment by Ash – May 19, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typos from cell phone typing…

Main point though. The events leading up to the last 5 minutes clearly showed a woman who had made her choice. The entire last 2 episodes showed a woman who had to play her cards right. Who was silent when the storyline could have shown her plan and changed her entire M.O from the entire season up till now. She’s up to something and it’s not choosing Peter.

Comment by Ash – May 19, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love this show, keep the good going

Comment by betty – May 22, 2013 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!! I am definitely a Will and Alicia shipper. There is so much to them!!! I think that they should be together, on a more permanent basis. I admit I was a little disappointed at the ending of season 4…I was so hoping it was Will she was calling!!!! But that’s ok, next season will be here soon. :) My thoughts are exactly this……I don’t disagree with Alicia starting her own firm with Cary, but I don’t want this to be the end of her and Will. Peter needs to just go somewhere, any where else but with Alicia. Will loves Alicia with all his heart, and I think she feels the same way about him, but I think that she is scared of having an actual relationship with Will, because his track record with women is pretty sketchy, at best. But I also believe that it’s because Will loves Alicia that his track record is pretty terrible. He fell in love with her when they were both in college and she broke his heart by marrying someone else. And Will has never been able to find a woman that, in his book, even remotely compares to Alicia. I mean he slipped up while talking to Alicia in the beginning of the third season and said, “Love you”, then he tried to explain it away instead of just being honest right there with her. But, I do agree that Will and Alicia have both grown over the seasons, and I think that they are getting closer to realizing that they are the best thing for each other. I just hope that the writers will allow Will and Alicia to have a REAL relationship. Alicia needs to just divorce Peter and be done with it. That way she can be free to follow her heart, not her head. Alicia follows her head way too much!!!! Over-thinking things is always a very distinct possibility, and I think that this has been the case with Alicia so far. So Alicia, stop thinking so much and listen to your heart!!!! :)

Comment by Debbie Blake – June 13, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope writers would take a look at the side of alicia and khalinda again.

Comment by Sam miggs – July 22, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will was killed off in tonight’s episode. I won’t be watching the show again.

Comment by June – March 23, 2014 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post