Mindy Project EP Handicaps the Ex-Returning, Speedo-Sporting Action in This Week's 'Triathlon'

The Mindy Project Season 1 SpoilersStrap on some goggles, pump up your tires and grab some Gatorade: In this Tuesday’s episode (Fox, 9:30/8:30c), The Mindy Project is taking on a triathlon.

Here, executive producer Matt Warburton gives TVLine some inside intel on the charity event-turned-vicious rivalry (midwifing Deslauriers, you’re going down!), the office shake-up that precedes it (poor Morgan) and how both Danny and Mindy react to the not-so-coincidental return of the former Mrs. Castellano (hint: One of them thinks “it’s the most interesting thing in the world”).

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

TVLINE | We get to know more about Danny’s ex-wife Christina, played by Big Love‘s Chloe Sevigny, in this episode. What can you tell us about how they relate to each other after all this time apart?
Given how big of a deal Christina has always been to Danny, I think what’s interesting is how unpredictable his reaction about her coming back is. Sometimes when you haven’t seen someone in a while, you build up this version of them that isn’t quite them anymore. And then when you actually see the person again, you’re surprised by how you react. That, I think, is the biggest shock to Danny when Christina comes back. And the biggest shock to Mindy, for example, who’s always wondered about this person – as fascinated as she is by Danny – she sees Christina as this key to unlocking this crazy weirdo that she’s obsessed with. Watching Danny’s reaction to Christina? To Mindy, it’s like watching the most interesting thing in the world.

TVLINE | We know Christina got the letter Morgan sent. Is that the main reason she’s back?
It’s certainly explored in the arc. They left each other on very bad terms… [Danny] never intended to send that letter. It’s a typical Morgan thing; like the puppy dog that he is, he just wants stuff to happen. So he made this happen and then immediately realizes he went too far. So a big thread moving forward isn’t just Danny’s relationship with Christina, but Danny’s relationship with Morgan after this.

The Mindy Project Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | The synopsis of the episode says that Danny fires him in anger, and Morgan winds up at the midwives’ practice.
That’s true.

TVLINE | Morgan sort of looks up to Danny. This must be a blow to him.
Yeah. It’s a blow to the entire practice. The assimilation of Morgan into the practice has been something really important to the whole season. At the beginning of the season, they didn’t even know this guy. Now he’s going to be removed — and everybody sort of sees why, he did this kind of bad thing — but everybody’s sort of resentful of Danny… The practice is different when Morgan is gone.

RELATED  | Exclusive Mindy Project Debut Webisode: Dr. Lahiri & Co. Coach Morgan in Wining and Dining

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the race. Given the way she’s discussed exercise in the past, I can’t really picture Mindy doing a triathlon.
Mindy is particularly interested in getting some cool running shoes. [Laughs] Danny’s very competitive. He wants to beat the Deslauriers. So he’s sort of figured out the absolute minimum Mindy’s going to have to hit so the other two guys can work extra hard and make up for her weaknesses. All she has to do is hit this really low bar  — without passing out or barfing or running into a store that she passes by instead of finishing the race.

TVLINE | How are the other legs of the race split up among Mindy’s team?
Jeremy’s on bike, Danny’s swimming. In his Speedo. It’s really gonna help the ratings. [Laughs] Brandon Deslaurier is also doing the swimming. He wears one of those high-tech, full-body swimsuits… which Danny thinks is cheating.

TVLINE | And I assume you want to keep the tri results to yourself.
Absolutely. [Laughs]

1. Stefan says:

Why not ask about all the cast shakeups .. that would be way more interessanting than this ..

2. Bull says:

I have no opinion on this.

3. Yvonne says:

I love this show. I’ve never understood the lack of love that it gets.

4. Leah says:

I really do love this show. The picture of Morgan and Danny made me laugh out loud.

5. Lauren says:

This show has really grown on me. In a way, it sort of reminds me of New Girl last year. Started out a little uneven but now they’ve found their groove.

6. toebee says:

I soo much luv this show and it is true the show has grown on me too.really looking forward to episode22.Mindy is fantastic.

7. K. says:

Love this show! It has a great cast and needs to get more love from the entertainment sites…Also for the cast members they got rid of I don’t even miss them and think the show is better!!!

8. Teag says:

Can’t wait for Chloe Sevigny

9. Tenney says:

I love, love, love this show! It took a little while to get the chemistry right and that meant losing some characters, but I think it’s found itself. I am so glad it was renewed for a 2nd season.

10. Brooke says:

This show is so excellent. I can’t even express how glad I am that it was renewed.

11. Jared says:

I just started to watch The Mindy Project and agree that it probably is one of the wittiest series on tv. Love the chemistry between Mindy and Danny and the rest of the cast is great. Love Chloe Sevigny but wasn’t aware she was in this series. I’ll definitely keep watching now.

12. too right, this show is great. was not too sure at first but love it

13. Dan says:

Stop trying to make Fetch happen, Fox. It isn’t going to happen.

14. Jake says:

“The Mindy Project” and “Happy Endings” are two of the most well-written, laugh-out-loud funny shows that rarely get any love.

15. Clover says:

Jeff Arbuthnot – it’s funny to see someone else has this theory to. Not necessarily just this show either, but I see a lot of comments that are just a little to glowing for shows and actors that do not deserve it. I always think PR INTERNS, PR INTERNS.

16. Rebecca says:

Uh, I’m definitely not a PR intern (working mother in her – ahem- mid-30s) and I think this show is great. I look forward to it every week. I did not feel this way at first but stuck with it and I think it’s really hit its grove. I do not think the Jeremy character is very strong though compared to Mindy and Danny. Will be interesting to see what happens over time with him.

17. Vanessa says:

I really want Mindy and Danny to get together!!!! But in there own time because I think they would just be so cute and they work really good together. I was so happy about the scene on the airplane :) Squee! That’s right i said squee! :P

18. Jes says:

The characters are so funny. I especially love Mindy and Danny :)

19. Jes says:

And I’m also definitely not a PR intern. I just honestly love Mindy. Loved her in The Office, but I really love her more on this show. I seriously have set aside Tuesday nights to watch this show and New Girl. These two and Go On are my new favorites along with Modern Family and The Middle. So many good shows nowadays…except for all the annoying singing shows. Can’t stand them anymore!

20. asta says:

Has anyone else noticed that in the opening credits (not sure what right terms is) that Chris Messina when the show started had his own focus, NOW it’s shared with Ed Weeks yet he gets a single focus. I am so hoping someone out there understands what I’m saying. It was just odd they changed it.

21. Maria says:

Absolutely love this show! I first watched it when I was browsing through