Walking Dead Casts Wire Alum as [Spoiler]

The Walking Dead Season 4 Cast Lawrence Gilliard Jr. The Walking Dead has made its first major Season 4 hire.

Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (The Wire, Army Wives) has officially signed on to play the series regular role of Bob Stookie (fka “Roy Stark”), a former army medic who is deeply haunted by his past (both before and after the zombie apocalypse). He has a charming, self-deprecating-but-confident public face, despite how troubled he is.

RELATED | Walking Dead Finale Post Mortem: Robert Kirkman Talks Andrea Backlash (Including the Pliers!), Defends Rick’s Decision, Previews Season 4

The fact that the character bears a striking resemblance to Abraham Ford from the Walking Dead comics has not gone unnoticed by fans.

Gilliard’s casting was first reported by iDigitalTimes

PHOTOS | The Walking Dead: 15 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3

In an interview with TVLine on Monday, Robert Kirkman confirmed that the show’s fourth season (bowing in October) will feature some “big differences” from Season 3, including “new locations and new places to discover and explore.” The two seasons will share at least one common thread: David Morrissey will continue to raise hell as the Governor.

OK, comic book aficionados — does this character remind you of anyone? Abraham, perhaps? Got casting tips? Hit the comments!

1. Kenneth Belliveau says:

Great casting! The Walking Dead continues to be leaps and bounds better then your average show. This man is a great actor and will bring his valuable assets as a veteran actor to a great show like Walking Dead, Super excited for season four now.

2. Anna says:

Prayer circle for Tyrese!

3. Salty Dog says:

Bob Stookey is a character from the comics. No connection to Abraham. He was also prominent in the second book of the novel series, “TWD: The Road to Woodbury”.

Brief sketch: alcoholic, served in Afghanistan, probably suffering post-traumatic stress while there thus the alcoholism, is something of a lackey for The Governor, but is overall mostly a good guy.

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

I loved that guy on The Wire!!! I thought I was going to cry when that show killed his character off. I’m excited to see him to do another show that I watch.

5. Bob says:

Wheres Wallace String

6. Jason says:

In what way does he look like Abraham?

• David S says:

Yea, I’m a bit confused too. This is nothing like Abraham Ford. At all – especially given that Abraham is…white. And not a medic. At all. Not earning any points with the fan base, Aus.

7. Jen says:

Bob is a comic book character!

8. Sareeta says:

Glad to see another Wire alum on TV again. Besides catching Gilliard on Southland, I haven’t seen him in any other roles. Now, I just hope they give Tyrese and Michonne more to do next season.

9. RAE says:

HOLLY……………..another guy from the wire? that show was badass ………….. they might as well bring THE ENTIRE CAST ON BOARD! the walking dead is AWESOME where’s dominic west aka MCnullty he would make a good fit on this show.

10. He bears a striking resemblance to Abraham Ford, except for the fact that he’s a different character from the comics, has a character description that doesn’t match that of Abraham’s, and isn’t white. But other than that….

Also, Tyreese and Shumpert best be watching their backs.

11. Edwina says:

cant wait for season four

12. Amit says:

DeAngelo Barksdale? I wondered when he’d reappear

13. Jombalga says:

I love the walking dead. I just hope it’s not gonna end like lost.. Rick is really dead and he,s just in his state….before moving on.

14. AJ says:

as a fan of the comic, i loathe this show… its like a how to manual for gutting a concept and delivering a hollow shell of that concept…

15. William says:

It’s not a replacement for Abraham at all ! Bob Stookey was in the comics. He was *spoiler *the drunk guy who healed the governor when he got tortured by Michonne.

16. Stubakka says:

I have to agree this man has no resemblance to Abraham! For one Abraham is “WHITE” with a handlebar mustach and looks badass!!

I am hoping they bring Abraham into the series with Rosita and Eugene tho, and have a hot actress play as Rosita.

I have to admit i have read all the comic books and loved all of them!!!!

The series is good but compared to the comics it doesnt really grip you as much.

… Rosita in the new series!! F”*k Holly!!! Lol

17. Greg says:

I have to say I have watched all of the Lost series and this show still beats it by a mile and I mean Lost was amazing.