Walking Dead Casts Wire Alum as [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News

The Walking Dead Season 4 Cast Lawrence Gilliard Jr. The Walking Dead has made its first major Season 4 hire.

Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (The Wire, Army Wives) has officially signed on to play the series regular role of Bob Stookie (fka “Roy Stark”), a former army medic who is deeply haunted by his past (both before and after the zombie apocalypse). He has a charming, self-deprecating-but-confident public face, despite how troubled he is.

RELATED | Walking Dead Finale Post Mortem: Robert Kirkman Talks Andrea Backlash (Including the Pliers!), Defends Rick’s Decision, Previews Season 4

The fact that the character bears a striking resemblance to Abraham Ford from the Walking Dead comics has not gone unnoticed by fans.

Gilliard’s casting was first reported by iDigitalTimes

PHOTOS | The Walking Dead: 15 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3

In an interview with TVLine on Monday, Robert Kirkman confirmed that the show’s fourth season (bowing in October) will feature some “big differences” from Season 3, including “new locations and new places to discover and explore.” The two seasons will share at least one common thread: David Morrissey will continue to raise hell as the Governor.

OK, comic book aficionados — does this character remind you of anyone? Abraham, perhaps? Got casting tips? Hit the comments!

Comments (28)

• Great casting! The Walking Dead continues to be leaps and bounds better then your average show. This man is a great actor and will bring his valuable assets as a veteran actor to a great show like Walking Dead, Super excited for season four now.

Comment by Kenneth Belliveau – April 26, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol… You’re kidding, right? TWD get more mediocre each season, is be surprised if next season doesn’t just go ahead and turn into a flat out comedy.

Comment by Rrrrrr – April 26, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TWD remains unpredictable and exciting, despite the mishap with the finale season four will be stronger. It’s a show about the people and that’s what there focusing on. I like where they are going, and this casting is a good one for the future of the show.

Comment by Kenneth Belliveau Journalism – April 26, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prayer circle for Tyrese!

Comment by Anna – April 26, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha. It does seem like the show is incapable of having two black men on at the same time, doesn’t it? They are so weird with that! From what I have heard though, Tyrese is a BFD, and I have yet to seem him be a BFD on this show, so I’m hoping we’ll see him around for awhile longer.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 26, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I said! I was like, “Dude, Tyrese is screwed.”

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – April 26, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My immediate reaction as well.

Comment by josephrileyland – April 26, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!

Comment by elr – April 29, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bob Stookey is a character from the comics. No connection to Abraham. He was also prominent in the second book of the novel series, “TWD: The Road to Woodbury”.

Brief sketch: alcoholic, served in Afghanistan, probably suffering post-traumatic stress while there thus the alcoholism, is something of a lackey for The Governor, but is overall mostly a good guy.

Comment by Salty Dog – April 26, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved that guy on The Wire!!! I thought I was going to cry when that show killed his character off. I’m excited to see him to do another show that I watch.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 26, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wheres Wallace String

Comment by Bob – April 26, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where the F is Wallace?!

Comment by Thari – April 26, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where’s Wallace at? Where’s the boy, String?!

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 26, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • D’Angelo shut your mouth

Comment by fuzzydunlop – April 27, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In what way does he look like Abraham?

Comment by Jason – April 26, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, I’m a bit confused too. This is nothing like Abraham Ford. At all – especially given that Abraham is…white. And not a medic. At all. Not earning any points with the fan base, Aus.

Comment by David S – April 26, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bob is a comic book character!

Comment by Jen – April 26, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see another Wire alum on TV again. Besides catching Gilliard on Southland, I haven’t seen him in any other roles. Now, I just hope they give Tyrese and Michonne more to do next season.

Comment by Sareeta – April 26, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLLY……………..another guy from the wire? that show was badass ………….. they might as well bring THE ENTIRE CAST ON BOARD! the walking dead is AWESOME where’s dominic west aka MCnullty he would make a good fit on this show.

Comment by RAE – April 27, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He bears a striking resemblance to Abraham Ford, except for the fact that he’s a different character from the comics, has a character description that doesn’t match that of Abraham’s, and isn’t white. But other than that….

Also, Tyreese and Shumpert best be watching their backs.

Comment by Potato Strong – April 27, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cant wait for season four

Comment by Edwina – April 30, 2013 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DeAngelo Barksdale? I wondered when he’d reappear

Comment by Amit – May 6, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the walking dead. I just hope it’s not gonna end like lost.. Rick is really dead and he,s just in his state….before moving on.

Comment by Jombalga – May 11, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as a fan of the comic, i loathe this show… its like a how to manual for gutting a concept and delivering a hollow shell of that concept…

Comment by AJ – May 15, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not a replacement for Abraham at all ! Bob Stookey was in the comics. He was *spoiler *the drunk guy who healed the governor when he got tortured by Michonne.

Comment by William – May 17, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree this man has no resemblance to Abraham! For one Abraham is “WHITE” with a handlebar mustach and looks badass!!

I am hoping they bring Abraham into the series with Rosita and Eugene tho, and have a hot actress play as Rosita.

I have to admit i have read all the comic books and loved all of them!!!!

The series is good but compared to the comics it doesnt really grip you as much.

… Rosita in the new series!! F”*k Holly!!! Lol

Comment by Stubakka – July 17, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say I have watched all of the Lost series and this show still beats it by a mile and I mean Lost was amazing.

Comment by Greg – July 23, 2013 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post