Glee's Jonathan Groff to Romance Taylor Kitsch in Ryan Murphy's HBO Film The Normal Heart

Get More: Casting News

The Normal Heart HBO Cast Jonathan GroffJesse St. James is about to cozy up to Tim Riggins.

Glee alum Jonathan Groff has joined the cast of Ryan Murphy’s HBO film The Normal Heart as the lover of Taylor Kitsch’s character, our sister site Deadline reports.

The upcoming telepic is based on Larry Kramer’s Tony-winning play, which chronicles the rise of the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City in the early 1980s.

Groff — who was most recently seen on Starz’ Boss — will play Craig, an early victim of the disease and the first lover of Bruce Niles (Friday Night Lights‘ Kitsch), a closeted investment banker who becomes an AIDS activist.

The cast also includes Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich), Mark Ruffalo (The Avengers), Matt Bomer (White Collar) and Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory).

The Normal Heart, written by Kramer and exec-produced/directed by Murphy, is slated to premiere on the premium cabler next year.

Comments (28)

• I think I need to order HBO when this airs for the cast alone.

Comment by Deena – April 26, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The cast is amazing but Ryan Murphy just doesn’t know how to do subtle anymore. He’s so heavyhanded that all the drama sort of just goes away.

Comment by Josh – April 26, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s his thing though. He’s over-the-top. Popular, Nip/Tuck, Glee, American Horror Story, The New Normal, he’s always been like that. I’d actually argue that American Horror Story achieved subtly quite well when it wanted to. You can’t hold Glee as the standard of everything Ryan Murphy is capable of.

Comment by dude – April 27, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is filming set to begin? NYC, I would presume?

Comment by queerbec – April 26, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, starts shooting in NYC in June.

Comment by Elliott – April 26, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought they started filming the movie, because when Matt Bomer was out promoting White Collar last year he said that he was set to start fliming towards the beginning of the year.

Comment by Natasha – April 28, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Riggins and Jesse St. James wrestling it out? I’ve always imagined it, but usually I was involved.

Comment by Elly – April 26, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Werk. Melchior and Riggins. It’s like a wet dream come true.

Comment by Sam – April 26, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God heavens THIS. I’m dying right now thinking about Tim Riggins and Melchior.

Comment by Spencer – April 27, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you had me at Matt Bomer

Comment by Tammy – April 26, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Riggins. I’m in.

Comment by Rebecca – April 26, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see this. Bomer and Ruffalo are my reasons to see this. The play is fantastic.

Comment by Lena – April 26, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an amazing cast. Ryan will nail this. I know it.

Comment by ginger – April 26, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this. I have some reservations about Ryan Murphy, but this seems to be a bit of a “passion project” of his that he’s wanted to do for some time, so maybe it will be different and not as heavy-handed as some of his other works. And Taylor Kitsch should nail this, when he’s given emotional work that’s well written, he’s spot-on in his performances.

Comment by CC – April 26, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could be good, besides Glee, Ryan Murphy makes pretty high quality stuff.

Comment by Mike – April 26, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say that, besides the second season of Horror Story, Ryan Murphy makes pretty low quality stuff.

Comment by Sam – April 26, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahem! Joe Mantello’s name deserves to be cited in the cast list as well :)

Comment by eloise – April 26, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!! my friend who saw him in the play on broadway last season said he was spectacular

Comment by Maggie – April 26, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn this is a beautiful cast.

Comment by Kristen – April 26, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s a heavy story…

But let the simulated gay sex scenes commence!

Comment by Kalee – April 26, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Panties OFF!

Comment by Et Al. – April 26, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucky. Bastard.

Comment by dude – April 27, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will have to order HBO!

Comment by sarah – April 27, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • time to cancel HBO, i think it’s so funny he keeps trying to promote the illusion of “normal” when it comes to homosexuality

Comment by Dennis – April 27, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what’s wrong with promoting a message that should be 100% reality?

Comment by Cherry – April 28, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, gonna have to get HBO now.

Will totally watch, despite the fact that I absolutely loathe Julia Roberts.

Comment by Dee – May 14, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post