Glee's Jonathan Groff to Romance Taylor Kitsch in Ryan Murphy's HBO Film The Normal Heart

The Normal Heart HBO Cast Jonathan GroffJesse St. James is about to cozy up to Tim Riggins.

Glee alum Jonathan Groff has joined the cast of Ryan Murphy’s HBO film The Normal Heart as the lover of Taylor Kitsch’s character, our sister site Deadline reports.

The upcoming telepic is based on Larry Kramer’s Tony-winning play, which chronicles the rise of the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City in the early 1980s.

Groff — who was most recently seen on Starz’ Boss — will play Craig, an early victim of the disease and the first lover of Bruce Niles (Friday Night Lights‘ Kitsch), a closeted investment banker who becomes an AIDS activist.

The cast also includes Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich), Mark Ruffalo (The Avengers), Matt Bomer (White Collar) and Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory).

The Normal Heart, written by Kramer and exec-produced/directed by Murphy, is slated to premiere on the premium cabler next year.

1. Deena says:

I think I need to order HBO when this airs for the cast alone.

• Josh says:

The cast is amazing but Ryan Murphy just doesn’t know how to do subtle anymore. He’s so heavyhanded that all the drama sort of just goes away.

• dude says:

That’s his thing though. He’s over-the-top. Popular, Nip/Tuck, Glee, American Horror Story, The New Normal, he’s always been like that. I’d actually argue that American Horror Story achieved subtly quite well when it wanted to. You can’t hold Glee as the standard of everything Ryan Murphy is capable of.

2. queerbec says:

When is filming set to begin? NYC, I would presume?

• Elliott says:

Yes, starts shooting in NYC in June.

• Natasha says:

I thought they started filming the movie, because when Matt Bomer was out promoting White Collar last year he said that he was set to start fliming towards the beginning of the year.

3. Elly says:

Tim Riggins and Jesse St. James wrestling it out? I’ve always imagined it, but usually I was involved.

4. Sam says:

Werk. Melchior and Riggins. It’s like a wet dream come true.

5. Tammy says:

you had me at Matt Bomer

6. Rebecca says:

Riggins. I’m in.

7. Lena says:

I can’t wait to see this. Bomer and Ruffalo are my reasons to see this. The play is fantastic.

8. ginger says:

What an amazing cast. Ryan will nail this. I know it.

9. CC says:

Can’t wait to see this. I have some reservations about Ryan Murphy, but this seems to be a bit of a “passion project” of his that he’s wanted to do for some time, so maybe it will be different and not as heavy-handed as some of his other works. And Taylor Kitsch should nail this, when he’s given emotional work that’s well written, he’s spot-on in his performances.

10. Mike says:

This could be good, besides Glee, Ryan Murphy makes pretty high quality stuff.

11. eloise says:

Ahem! Joe Mantello’s name deserves to be cited in the cast list as well :)

12. Kristen says:

Damn this is a beautiful cast.

13. Kalee says:

I know it’s a heavy story…

But let the simulated gay sex scenes commence!

14. Et Al. says:

Panties OFF!

15. dude says:

Lucky. Bastard.

16. sarah says:

I will have to order HBO!

17. Dennis says:

time to cancel HBO, i think it’s so funny he keeps trying to promote the illusion of “normal” when it comes to homosexuality

18. Dee says:

Damn, gonna have to get HBO now.

Will totally watch, despite the fact that I absolutely loathe Julia Roberts.

19. Richard Mundy says:

If this in regards to the HBO Movie the ” Normal Heart ” it was so well made and I believe being a Gay HIV positive New Yorker – I wish this had made it to the big screen. Simply because it was the closest real, thing made on screen or TV to date. It was well made and serves as a reminder that just because
    ( as usual ) the big Drug Companies that have within the first 20 years of this communicable disease have found a way to make medications ( at the cost of THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH ) a medication that STOPS THE DISEASE IN ITS TRACKS. Is that not interesting. But NOTHING TO ELIMINATE THE VIRUS OR A VACINE to Eliminate the future of this Epidemic that not only effects the Gay Community, but the Straight community as well as the very poor of many other countries, especially the continent of Africa. I repeat – how is it that our Nation was able to create a medication that STOPS the virus but NOT ERATICATE IT. Oh by the way, AT THE COST OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH PER PERSON. Now our nation as well as others have become so complacent and so not interested in ” Looking ” for a new and better way of dealing with the Disease who’s medication has so very many side effects, that the virus is almost the same as those side effects. Our government let’s the Pharmicutical companies charge what ever they want and get away with it – and as I have said now everyone is in the same mind set – ” We have Med’s for this now ” . It is not a vaccine nor a cure
    Our nation has fallen asleep on this issue and it only continues, albeit at a slower rate, still sickening new people everyday and killing others. The rest of us who were diagnosed in the very early 90’s who are sick 20, 25 years and some even longer are just living shells of our former selves – due to the side effects from these anti-Virals. As an American it just makes me so sad. And this wonderfully made HBO Movie just reminded me of how many people from my Generation,

20. Richard Mundy says:

All walks of life, did not fulfill their life’s purpose and the World lost out and suffered for it. Once again THANK YOU HBO FOR A JOB WELL DONE WITH ” THE NORMAL HEART ” !! I appreciate all that was done to have kept it as real as it really was.