Vampire Diaries Recap: The Original King

Vampire Diaries Season 4 Recap Hayley PregnantThe Vampire Diaries travelled to New Orleans this week to lay the groundwork for a potential spin-off — and dropped a Hayley-related bombshell on Klaus in the process.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including The Vampire Diaries, Castle, The Good Wife, Glee and More!

Turns out their one-night stand resulted in the impossible: A baby! While vampires can’t procreate, werewolves can — and through some freaky loophole, the Original has knocked up the wolf girl.

So how did the episode get to that revelation and what does it mean for Klaus?

Well, the hybrid first heads to the Big Easy to track down the witchy threat Katherine warned him about, but he runs into a few challenges. First, no one will give up the location of spellcaster Jane-Anne because they don’t want to break Marcel’s rules. The man in charge is Klaus’ former protege (played by the charismatic Charles Michael Davis having loads of fun), who now controls New Orleans and has a tight leash on everyone. He’s gotten the human locals to look the other way while vampires feast on tourists, and he’s even “got the witches here wrapped around my finger,” he tells Klaus. This comes as a big surprise to the Original since Marcel was basically a wimp when he left him behind. (Fittingly, when we first see Marcel, he’s singing “How Do You Like Me Now” like a boss.)

Marcel ends up witch-blocking his maker when he kills Jane-Anne in the middle of the street among a big crowd of vampires. (Everything really is out in the open here, which is just one of the things this potential spin-off has going for it.) Thankfully, Elijah, who can always be counted on for a fantastic kill, saves her sister Sophie (Daniella Pineda) from some of Marcel’s chumps with a swift heart removal. He then brings Klaus to the witch, who drops the big baby surprise on him and announces that if he doesn’t help her stop the out-of-control Marcel, she’ll off Hayley and his kid.

Vampire Diaries Season 4 Recap Hayley PregnantKlaus listens in on his child’s heartbeat before replying, “Kill her and the baby. What do I care?”

PHOTO | Vampire Diaries Season 4 Spoilers — Caroline and Klaus’ Heated Confrontation

Elijah, however, is not ready to give up on the hope that the very unplanned pregnancy might be just the thing to redeem his brother and bring their family together. “It’s a gift,” he says. “It’s our chance to start over.”

But Klaus is too hung up on the fact that the witches are trying to manipulate him. Elijah tries to convince him to move past that. If he kills them, then what? He just goes back to Mystic Falls and continues to be The Hated One? Is the power of fear the be all and end all?

Family is power,” Elijah pleads. “This is us, the Original family. We remain together always and forever.”

Klaus is having none of it until a fateful, antagonistic confrontation with Marcel. “I’m the king! Show me some respect!” the latter yells as the two argue. So what does Klaus do? He bites one of Marcel’s vamp buddies.

“I’ve broken one of your rules and yet, I cannot be killed,” declares Klaus. “I am immortal. Who has the power now, friend?”

Seeing the family and loyalty that his former siree has built for himself, Klaus decides that’s what he wants too. And with Hayley knocked up, he finally has the chance to make it happen. “Every king needs a heir,” he tells his brother.

So Klaus makes peace with Marcel and reveals that he plans to stick around. Meanwhile, Elijah says his goodbyes to Katherine. It’ll take some convincing to get Rebekah on board – she makes it clear that she has no intention of leaving Mystic Falls for the brother who’s made her life hell – but it looks like we’re poised for an Original family reunion next fall. There’s no way the CW isn’t going to pick up this ready-made, lived-in spin-off, right? Between the love-it-or-hate-it Hayley twist, a dynamic new character in Marcel, the vampires vs. witches war, and the drink-blood-and-party-all-day-and-night hedonistic vibe, The Originals has a lot of promise.

The episode was scarce on Mystic Falls happenings/characters, and, frankly, I didn’t even notice. But there is one thing I’d like to see: Caroline in New Orleans, which would open up the character in a fresh way. Klaus did call her to say he’s looking around at all the culture and “all I can think about is how much I want to show it to you. Maybe one day you’ll let me.” Until then, psych student/bartender/human Camille (Leah Pipes) will have to be The Originals‘ blonde, I guess.

Vampire Diaries fans, based off tonight’s preview, will you bite into The Originals if it lands on The CW’s fall schedule? Vote in our poll and then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. FangFan says:

I loved this episode. Back door pilot = success. Recently, I’ve only been watching Vampire Diaries to get my Klaroline fix..but this episode has gotten me pumped for the spin off!! The whole baby thing is kind of weird and random. I loved the whole concept of Klaus wanting his kingdom and getting all jealous of Marcel….that alone would drive the entire show for me! I would love to see Candice doing some crossovers. I think the show has already invested a lot of time to Klaroline recently so I don’t see them throwing that away anytime soon! LONG LIVE KLAROLINE..and Elijah…LOVE that guy!

2. Skadi says:

In the darker, more mature spin-off, Hayley herself resolves the fan-alienating ‘baby plot’ controversy…

Hayley, to the assembled: “Hey! Someone tell the Sisterhood of the Traveling Candles I’m not gonna need those fat pants, after all. My body, my choice. Got an abortion last Thursday. Mikaelson Men, welcome to the 21st century. I’m off to Vegas!”

And with one bold leap, The Originals lands knee deep in the murky quagmire of gender/sexual politics. The crowd goes wild!

3. Elizabeth says:

Loved it! Can’t wait for more. Anything with more Klaus and Elijah. Don’t like the Camille girl though. Bring in Caroline!

4. ee says:

Seriously ? hayley no! baby no! klaroline yes !

5. Laffers says:

I was in 100%, despite the fact that Hayley is in it (really can’t stand that character) and then……the baby bombshell. With one line, my interest went from 100% to none.

I may muster up some interest in the first few episodes, but my hatred of Hayley may outweigh my love of Klaus & Elijah. And my potential love of Marcel…

MAYBE, if Caroline DID head to New Orleans I would give it a proper shot. I do love me some Klaus and Caroline but…we shall see :)

6. jana says:

Please let haley and the baby die! We want to see caroline and Klaus!

7. sls says:

Katherine’s going to torture Elena!

From zap2it’s blog/news:
    “The Vampire Diaries: As we previously revealed, Damon and the rest of Elena’s friends aren’t going to have the easiest time torturing her… after all, they still believe that somewhere deep down, she’s the girl they all love. So they have to call in the big guns. You know who won’t have any issues taking Elena to task? The recently-scorned Katherine. Expect another showdown between the Petrova doppelgangers this week.”

Bwhahaha Can’t wait to watch Katherine torture 0%-humanity-100%-b*tch Elena! lol (okay so maybe it’s 99%/1% but still…)

8. vannesa says:

I dont think this episode was as intresting..because. i. Didnt like some of. The. Things. They. Did. All. Im. Waiting for is the season finale…so. they. Can. Give. Elena. The cure….and this no humanity. And. Cure. Thing. Can be. Over

9. Shell says:

I just want to thank the writers for this storyline. It means I don’t have to bother watching the originals and after this season I’m already done with the vampire diaries so now I get to start watching a new show; one with a better plot and better characters, so thank you tvd writers!!!!! :)

10. Kymberlle says:

I can not explain such happiness, loved the idea of ​​the immortal vampire Kluas stronger heartless world will now be SANTA, Julie Plec more amazing as always this time she was not good WAS SENSATIONAL, I’m dying to see how she brought this story and very anxious to see Klaus assuming paternity, I’m sure the Originals promises …

11. Kathrine says:

I think caroline and klaus were suppose 2 have dat baby and end up 2gther,i fell in love wit dat flim becos of klaroline,but harley she so awful,i hate her totally in d movie،n demon n elena r xo xo epic

12. Neezy says:

My whole problem with this baby thing is: Klaus is dead. Yeah, maybe he WAS born a werewolf and that’s cool and all. But to become a vampire he died just like all his other siblings and their pops. They all died and came back as vamps….so would it really matter that he’s a hybrid? Because he’s still dead just like every other vampire. But hey I’m just a lowly viewer, what do I know? lol

13. Coco123 says:

I never really hated Hayley in TVD. I just didn’t really bother with her, beyond watching her obviously. But, then I saw The Originals (I’ve watched every episode so far)…and now I loathe her, as well as the baby twist. Come on, really? Turning an awesome vampire plot into a farce resembling Twilight. Great. Exactly what I DON’T want to see every week. Will be ditching The Originals, and just watching TVD…