MTV OKs Scream Pilot, Renews Snooki & JWoww

Get More: Pilots, Renewals

Scream TV Series MTV PilotIt’s a green light for Ghostface!

MTV has placed a pilot order for a one-hour drama based the Scream film franchise, the cabler announced Thursday at its annual upfront presentation in New York.

Additionally, Snooki & JWoww has been renewed for a third season.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including ArrowThe Vampire DiariesNew Girl, Glee and More!

Former MTV execs Tony DiSanto and Liz Gateley, who are shepherding the potential Scream series, remain on the prowl for a writer to pen the pilot.

The project has been in development at MTV for more than a year.

Comments (30)

• Scream is my favourite film! I love all of them. A series sounds great, but I wish it was on FX and not MTV :(

Comment by Cherry – April 25, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scream on MTV? Ugh.

Comment by Teag – April 25, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it is anything like Teen Wolf, I will be happy. I was pleasantly surprised by what they did with Teen Wolf.

Comment by Zach – April 25, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • MTV has surprised me with Teen Wolf and Awkward. They’re both REALLY good.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Scream matches the quality that Teen Wolf and Awkward have brought to MTV, I’m all in.

Comment by Amanda – April 25, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t people just leave things alone?

Comment by Ezzy – April 25, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do people have to say this about EVERYTHING?
      Get
      Over
      It.

Comment by B – April 25, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be pure gold on FX

Comment by Lisa – April 25, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love if they could lure Neve Campbell back to series TV. Doubtful, but it would be amazing. And Scream without Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven just doesn’t sound like Scream to me.

Comment by Steven – April 25, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scream should have ended with the first movie. It was great. The second one was lame but fun. The third one was unwatchable. The fourth should be considered a form of torture and it should be illegal to show that movie to any enemy soldiers captured during wartime.

This from a guy who has nothing against waterboarding.

Comment by Drew – April 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scream 4 was much better than the third and came very close (if not topping) the second one. Just a shame more people didn’t get out to see the movie.

Comment by RJ – April 25, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess people can disagree, but I thought the 4th movie was one of the worst movies I’ve seen in a long time. And I’m a Scream fan. I get what they were going for, but it failed (in my opinion). Badly.

Comment by Drew – April 25, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Scream 4 could have been more thrilling if it was in the hands of a new director. But I love the Scream franchise so I will be checking this one up. If this series does well then a Scream 5 might be in the cards :)

Comment by JC – April 25, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Scream is done as good as Teen Wolf then I’m ALL IN!

Comment by Jared – April 25, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they don’t set it in the same universe as the movies. Also; MTV needs more than a TV series adapted from a beloved horror classic to fix their tragic scripted programming. Yes, Teen Wolf and Awkward are doing just fine, but what about the ten or so scripted shows they’ve cancelled in 3 years? They need to do what AMC has done; devote one night to scripted programming and keep the reality crap away from it. MTV keeps thinking that if they launch a half hour comedy after Teen Mom, Snooki & JWowww, or some other reality crap that it will actually do well. They haven’t apparently learned at all. It baffles me that they won’t use their only 2 hit scripted shows as lead-ins for other new original programming. If they are smart, they will launch Scream during Teen Wolf’s second half of season 3 which I’m guessing will be sometime in early 2014.

Comment by reccer – April 25, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Williamson should jump on board since he wrote the scream films

I’m pretty sure he can fit another show on his list ;)

Comment by CharlieS – April 25, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds amazing if they can do it right. Teen Wolf & Awkward. are both great and I hope MTV can do more show just as well written and acted like these two.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – April 25, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not on MTV but it could be good on some other channel, ok so a friend of mine watches Snooki & Jwoww, why, she’s brainless I think, is there any news on The Pauly D Project so I can let her know, I hope its cancelled, kinda wish Snooki & Jwoww were.

Comment by Adam Richardson – April 25, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it were any other network, I’d be excited about a Scream pilot. Seems a better fit for Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, or even Netflix.

Comment by John Berggren – April 25, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s as good as their golden child Awkward. and Teen Wolf, then put me on board!

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please no. The thing I love about Scream, more than the blood, the killings and the witty one liners, is Sidney Prescott. There is something about the character that I love about, and if they do this pilot, they’re taking it to a new story… And that for me, kills the whole idea of the original Scream(s). I’m not happy about this idea.

Comment by James – April 25, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the shows I like on MTV never last. The Hard Times of RJ Berger, The Inbetweeners U.S. and, my favorite new show of 2011, Death Valley.

Comment by Zach – April 25, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch anything “Scream” related but I really don’t like the idea of making it a TV series. Awkward and Teen Wolf are great shows, hopefully it will be at least watchable.

Comment by Jaymes – April 25, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine they will use the same elements in Pretty Little Liars. Ghostface calls, someone death, mysteries and multiple suspects. Like A or team A, they would be Team Ghostface. I want to see in the pilot the murder of Maureen Prescott and in the final scene the murder of Casey Becker. The next episodes will be all about Sidney and his friends trying to figure the new murders, a couple of random deaths, attacks, and the season finale is the massacre party. The twist, Randy and Tatum are the killers and Billy / Stu the victims

Comment by Fernanda – April 25, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry… sidney and her friends… sorry for my writing. I’m latina trying to improve writig skills

Comment by Fernanda – April 25, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would assume it would be like harpers island.

Comment by Eric – April 25, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SUCH a good show.

Comment by Teag – April 25, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVED harper’s island!!

Comment by lauren – April 26, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like it’ll be like the Following or something along those lines. I hope they don’t try to recast Sidney and the rest. Let the show be its own entity, taking place after Scream 4.

Comment by Mikael – April 26, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the downfall of the 90s-early 2000s music oriented MTV, they started producing cringe-worthy reality trash TV and very bad Celebrity Specials. But when they released Teen Wolf along with teen drama Awkward, they quickly redeemed themselves in my eyes.Teen Wolf which has elements of horror is a great show. The cast do represent general archetypes of American Culture: The socially awkward best friend,The Jock,The Popular Girl, The Gay guy (…), The New Girl etc. But, what makes the show so unique is that it’s not trying to be Twilight or TVD.
    Needless to say, I believe MTV can do an amazing job with the Scream series. Aimed at Teens, and older fans of the original ( if they can look passed the network), Scream:The Series can be a huge hit.

Comment by Jay – May 9, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post