Scandal Recap: The Dark Side of the Moon

Scandal Season 2 Recap Huck Has Wife SonThis week on ABC’s Scandal, all that Huck loved — and tragically lost — was revealed, Mellie warned Fitz that time is running out and Jake told actor Joe Morton that the jig is up. (Or is it?)

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

KILL, OR BE KILLED | Huck, still cowering in the corner of the OPA office after being locked in a crate by Baseball Cap, starts repeating the number “752” over and over again, to everyone’s puzzlement. We then flash back 14 years, where PFC Huck returns from a Kosovo tour to surprise his thrilled girlfriend Kim (played by Fringe‘s Jasika Nicole). Alas, Huck is soon pulled into a super-secret job interview and made an offer he literally cannot refuse. “OK, so, we kill people,” his new coworker (Charlie!) says.

Meanwhile here and now at OPA, the gladiators take turns trying to coax Huck back to lucidity (and crack the “752” mystery), to no avail — though the individual monologues, as each shared their own complex past, made for nice character work if no major reveals. Over at the hospital, Olivia is being held for observation after her skirmish with Jake. Fitz sits at her bedside to admit that he was hurt and “was wrong” to walk away after the Defiance reveal, but she’s having none of it. “You are not forgiven… You can’t treat me like I’m some whore you got off the street.” Fitz professes his love, but Liv shoots back: “I. Don’t. Believe you. Anymore.”

Harrison goes to visit Liv, but gets shut down by a Secret Service detail. During the delay, he spies Baseball Cap (aka Charlie) and gives fruitless chase. “I saw the Secret Service…,” he later reports to Olivia over the phone. She begins to explain, but he cuts her off: “It’s none of my business.”

WE ARE… WERE… FAMILY | Returning to flashbacks, Kim reveals that she is pregnant, and though covert assassin Huck’s first reaction is a concerned, “Oh,” he goes on to assert his enthusiasm and welcome for the child. For good measure, he asks, “Will you marry me?” Kim says yes, and we cue up a sweet-but-twisted montage in which they marry, and birth a baby, all while Huck turns into the jolliest wet work specialist you’d ever have the pleasure of having our toes snipped off by.

One night, Huck comes home to find Charlie there, visiting with Kim and baby Javi. In private, Charlie marvels at his colleague’s chutzpah, keeping a secret family. “You need to fix it or we’ll take care of them for you,” he warns. Later, just as Huck sets in motion a plan to vanish him, Kim and the baby, he is grabbed and thrown in a hole, where he remains until, after many months, he finally “forgets” having a wife and child. Terribly tragic stuff played to the hilt by Guillermo Diaz.

Huck, however, can’t bring himself to continue doing what he did. And when he freezes on his first new gig, Charlie turns to kill his colleague… but instead lets him be “a ghost” and vanish, never to contact his wife and kid — or else. Charlie later reports to Command — aka actor Joe Morton aka the guy Jake has been meeting with in the present, on the park bench — that Huck has been terminated. “A shame,” actor Joe Morton says. “He had potential.”

KISS AND YELL | Back at the hospital, Olivia readies to be discharged when Fitz shows up with another appeal. “You are having me followed…. That’s not love,” Liv insists. As for his vanishing act after the Defiance reveal, she reminds, “You walked away and didn’t even let me explain!” Fitz relates how he wanted to win “because I had the will of the people behind me” and not because of some crafty cabal. “I am angry you fixed the election,” he explained. “I am angrier that you thought you could fix me.” Liv admits she still loves Fitz, but that she can’t do this anymore. He counters, “This past year I have learned one thing: I can’t exist without you. I can’t breathe without you. The man I am without you… I am nothing. And you’re everything.” (Basically, Fitz’s Romantic Bits’ Greatest Hits.) “I demand another chance…. We’re worth another chance.” Olivia falls into a steamy smooch with her scandalous love, but soon tugs herself away. “No, I can’t. I can’t.”

NUMBER’S UP! | Returning to OPA, Liv sits with Huck and reflects on when she first gave his homeless self change years ago. “You always say that I saved you. That’s not even close to true. I’m all alone except for you,” she shared. Harrison, Abby and Quinn “don’t live on the dark side of the moon” as she and Huck have/do, she adds. Echoing Fitz’s words, “You are everything…. You saved me.”

Huck ceases his “752” chant for good, then opens up to Liv, “I think I used to have a family… but I don’t remember if they’re real or I imagined them.” (Sob.) We then get one final flashback to the subway platform, where toddler Javi gives the hungry-looking man a dollar. As the lad walks back to his mom, Huck notes the time — 7:52.

Elsewhere in the episode….

* Speaking of clocks, Mellie warned Fitz that hers is ticking, and if he hasn’t super-double-secret officially bailed on Liv by the time her alarm goes off, “I’ll be on the front lawn discussing my philandering husband and the whore who has him on a leash.” She then adds, “I hope you choose family… because good luck getting reelected once I start talking!”

* Cyrus tasks Charlie to get the 411 on Jake’s connection to Olivia. By the way, did you know Charlie has killed kings? Like, real ones? True story!

* Thematic parallels alert! Upon gleaning that Olivia is being used as bait to draw out Albatross, Jake tells his boss, actor Joe Morton, that he wants out. But Command just laughs. “Remember who you are, Captain Ballard… There’s no such thing as ‘out’.”

What did you think of “Seven Fifty-Two”? Were any fellow Fringe fans delighted to see “Astrid” living a (more) normal existence? And what’s your latest theory on Albatross?

1. JP says:

Amazing episode. So much happened but still I can only think about Huck! TV line performer of the week and next years Emmy winner needs to be Guillermo Diaz… He was beyond phenomenal…

2. Nabil Mazidi says:

When will you update the 2013 May Sweeps Scorecard to reflect the things that happened on tonight’s broadcast TV shows?

3. Alichat says:

Shortly into the episode, I figured 752 was a time, but I thought it was going to be the time Huck came home and found his wife and kid dead. I thought for sure Charlie had offed them, so that was a nice twist. Not sure how I feel about Ballard and his tie to Huck and Charlie now. On the Mellie note, I’m rather sick of her….can we ship her and Hal off to Siberia??

• katrina says:

I thought that 752 was the number of people Huck killed. Talk about being a serial killer! The time makes much more sense!

• Ashley says:

I thought it was going to be the address of the house he lived in with his family

• Sara says:

I thought the same thing, what a relief to find it was only the time!

• Anne says:

I knew 7:52 was going to be a time when we seen Huck remove the watch from his first assignment, but I also thought it would be the time he found his wife and child dead, how touching to see them alive and well and the boy offer money to the derelict Huck in the subway station. I’m going over all possible scenarios that could put them back together as a family; coming up short as long as the dreaded and unidentified Albatross exists.

• Melala says:

Yes! I second that about Mellie.

• Rebecca says:

I thought 752 was going to be the number of days he was down in that hole. I kept thinking that no wonder his mind broke, he was in that hole for over 2 years. But I was happy we at least found out what it was and weren’t left wondering. Poor Huck.

• Alichat says:

Once they tossed him into that hole, I did wonder if I was wrong, and that was the number of days he was down there. But I figured he’d be way more messed up if that were the case, especially when even Charlie balked at two months. I also wondered if it was a numerical designation for Charlie or Jake, so he was relaying to them who had tossed him in the box. But I kept coming back to my original belief that it was a time.

• Alex says:

I thought after they closed the door time and time again that it was the number of days he was in the hole, too.

• GTS says:

I thought it was 2 months?

• Danielle says:

Originally I thought it would be the time of birth for his son, but then I moved to the same thought of ya’ll, the time of their death. I don’t think Shonda could have survived the blowback of killing off a living, breathing baby of a fan favorite. Fans are still overwhelmingly angry about Mer’s miscarriage. Guillermo Diaz was phenomenal. Just amazing. It’s hard to match him up to his Half Baked work when you see him in scenes like this. Amazing.

• cdm says:

I’m still trying to figure out if Ballard was going to kill Olivia the night she went to his house and ended up not doing it. He was packing that bag of weapons.

4. Sleepless In Texas says:

The episode did not live up to the hype.
    Watching it was cruel and unusual punishment.
    Hoping next week will be better.

• Sophia says:

I agree. Although I enjoyed this episode (as I enjoy them ALL), I was a bit disappointed especially having to wait 3 weeks. I hope next week’s kills it!

• liz says:

I agree. Too much Huck for me. Loved that Olitz finally had it out. And Mellie needs to make up her mind…first she is mad at liv for leaving fitz and open in the door to the Amanda tanner fiasco now she wants her gone? I wonder if she mad that after fitz found out about defiance he turned to her and she enjoyed her moment in the sun?? Weird why she is making a move about Olivia now…

• Huckleberry says:

I have generally liked this show despite it being a Shonda show and despite all the monologues. If the monologues get too long, I just fast forward. Last night, however, between all the overacted speeches and the Dexter bits, I had to fast forward through more than half the show. With the oh-I-feel-so-deeply monologues, I want to scream ‘haven’t you ever heard of show, don’t tell.’ Then in the Dexter bits, it’s like ‘but don’t show that.’

Liv and the president do not love each other. They have some kind of weird sexual obsession going on. Definitely not love. Jake seems like an unlikely good guy.

• Anna says:

“Liv and the president do not love each other. They have some kind of weird sexual obsession going on.”
        Ditto.

• M says:

They love each other, but they are selfish. She loves him and sleeps with him, becomes his confidante, steals the presidency out of love, and manipulates everyone into believing he is a happily married man, but then she’s mad that he’s unavailable to her. He loves her, allows his desire to be president override his better judgement and keep her as campaign fixer even though he knows that he’s tempted. He allows himself to be manipulated by Olivia, Cyrus, Mellie, even Billy/Amanda Tanner, instead of having the courage of his convictions. They should have walked away at that campaign meeting when they both knew he was tempted, but they were selfish thinking they could have their cake and eat it too. And we see how it’s worked out! I love Olitz though and rooting for two flawed people to find their way to healthy, together.

5. jenna says:

Astrid!!
    So happy to have Scandal back! And what a great, heartwrenching episode. Diaz was awesome. I’m assuming/hoping we will see Astrid again.

6. Cheyenne says:

So who’s the mole? I didn’t think it was Jake; too obvious. I’m thinking it may be 1) one of the guys in the secret service detail or 2) Mellie.

And I think Sally Langston is mixed up in it in some way. That bitch is itching to do Fitz dirty after he blackmailed her with her daughter’s abortion.

• ellen8 says:

Cyrus? Don’t we know that now?

• Lesleykay says:

I never thought about a secret service agent being Albatross but it makes so much sense now – a secret service agent is with the President all the time and would therefore hear things and have information no one else has. I think it’s Hal.

• Huckleberry says:

It’s most likely Cyrus. He’s the one in touch with that creepy CIA guy who trained Huck how to be a murderer.

• R says:

I think his connection to Charlie is red herring and Cyrus is not Albatross. I believe Cyrus really does love his country and while he would do – and has done – many, many horrible things, I think selling his nations secrects is a line he won’t cross. I think Charlie works mainly for Albatross, but does some side work for Cyrus.

7. A says:

I felt like I was watching an episode of Dexter rather than Scandal except for a second I actually thought Huck was even more sick and twisted than Dexter. The episode was quite disturbing to sit through.

8. Trresa says:

I thought the 752 would be the number of days Huck stayed in that hole How sad was poor Huck So does Joe Morton want Huck dead and Cyrus wants Olivua dead I’m so confused and Charlie must be a double agent Good grief too much going on Need next weeks episode pronto!😱

9. Leah says:

All I can say is wow! The end of that episode was phenomenal.

10. TVPeong says:

I am so glad they didn’t kill his wife and kid.

• A says:

Me too! I actually thought they were killed. Huck’s story was so heartbreaking :(

• KCC says:

Me too. So sad. Do you think that they’ll bring her back in?

• A says:

My guess is yes, but maybe not this season. I’m not sure but I think the actress just signed on for a guest stint this season, but usually bringing up storylines like this were someone is still alive means they will probably revisit the issue. I hope they do. I have to say Guillermo Diaz is excellent in this role and I enjoy him in it way more than when he was on Weeds.

• star says:

Me too! I was so nervous.

11. Absurdist says:

I
    STILL
    DON’T
    GET
    MELLIE.

Somehow the whole Amanda Tanner thing was LIV’S FAULT, right? She said as much. If Liv hadn’t abandoned The White House, Amanda Tanner never would have happened.

Now apparently, even though Mellie covered for the sex tape, we’re not supposed to remember that Amanda Tanner ever happened? I mean, Mellie said that HER HUSBAND’S MISTRESS (and she does acknowledge that relationship) was supposed to keep Fitz from cheating with anyone else!

And now she wants to go nuclear on Fitz because of Olivia?

WTFF, woman?

12. madhatter360 says:

One of my thought in watching this episode is that it makes his team nickname “Spin” for spinster so much worse.

• Moe says:

Yeah, I thought that too! Then I realized it helped to brainwash him into believing he never had that family, especially since, everyone in B613 was supposed to be without a family. What would make him so different for not having one? Yeah… his nickname, “Spin(ster)” was another brainwashing tool.

13. I am the only one on Mellies side? I mean her husband is a CHEATER!!!!!!! i mean everything that Mellie has gone through and being turned into the “villian” (which by default is due to her personality) BUT really? Her husband is a cheater! And doesn’t even try to hide it anymore! how horrible! I think that everyone needs to move on from the president! I know I have!

• A says:

Fitz: “I DEMAND a second a chance!”…..Who the hell are you?!
      He needs to be eliminated from the show or they need to do a complete 180 on his character because they have turned him into an awful character! I can’t even support or root for the character at all.

• A says:

And I definitely agree with you. I still like Olivia but damn if Mellie hasn’t been pulling me in these past few episodes. And her character is portrayed superbly by Bellamy Young. I used to be on the fence with her but her scenes especially the ones with Fitz and all the confrontations. They are amazingly done.

• Goodbye Fitz, Hello Jake! says:

Isn’t Fitz just awful? I’m truly over this man, ENOUGH of him already!

• Cass says:

i loved it when he said that! i thought it was his passion and desperation talking.

• dsinatra says:

Except she knew her husband was a cheater. In season one she was pissed that Olivia had resigned because she fell down on the job (which was to keep Fitz happy) and allowed Amanda Tanner to ‘get in his pants’. She’s known all along that he was in love with Olivia and she didn’t care until he turned into a morse person who seemingly couldn’t get over ‘the love of his life’. So to see her act like a scorned woman now is a little strange.

• liz says:

The complex relationship between fitz and Olivia Is the central thread of the show. So if you continue to watch it won’t ever be gone. The “Scandal” is that while fitz us a cheater the audience loves him even though his behavior sucks. It’s a paradox…:)

• star says:

I am so tired of this ~central thread~ line you fangirls keep spewing, like just let people dislike it if they want. We know they aren’t going away, you don’t have to defend then to the death, they are fictional.

• Moe says:

Everyone has a right to make their point, @star.

I’m not a big Olitzer but I prefer the White House shenanigans to the OPA related case-of-the-week stories. I like both, but prefer the White House and Cyrus dynamics, but that is ALWAYS going to involve Fitz and the star of the show, Olivia Pope who has an amazing relationship with Cyrus. Not to mention the major plot points have a foundation in the Olivia/Fitz relationship, including DEFIANCE.

U know, not everyone is a fangirl who is a fan of all aspects of the show, including Olivia and Fitz. What I do know is that without those “fangirls”, whom you believe require more control (like seriously, Scandal’s die hard fans are so much mature and less combative than fans of like every other show out there outside of, maybe Misfits UK when it was made available in the US online), we 100% would not have the additional episodes of Scandal we have now. Scandal’s die hard fans literally make the show.

You make it sound like they’re Twilight or Lady Gaga fans or something, I just don’t see it, especially on this thread.

• star says:

They are like that, I have seen it on other recaps and been constantly replied to that a hater like me needs to stop watching just bc I don’t like olitz. So since I obviously wasn’t talking to you don’t worry about it. Fangirls are annoying bc shows end up pandering to them bc they can’t stand to see any kind of story progression that isn’t about olitz and shows suffer for that.

• Moe says:

I am not seeing that behavior on tvline. Maybe because there are always so many Scandal comments that I just ignore the one’s I disagree with most of the time. The woman you responded to, @liz, had written such a pleasant, non-fangirl-ish (not hysterical) statement, supporting the OlivFitz “central thread”, that I couldn’t understand the passion of your “response”. Maybe there are other sites you go to where they are out of control with which I’m not familiar. I can think of only one EXTREMELY popular, non-corporate, blog that has maybe 5 or 6 regulars who, if you disagree with them (they are Olitz-shippers), will actively “bully” or shun you, especially if you’re logical, but again, elsewhere, I see the opposite when it comes to those “fangirls” and also the same when it come to the anti-Fitz brigade (some people are negative just to be negative). Reminder: I’m not dying for Olivia and Fitz, but I appreciate their scenes because they’re well-executed. I don’t get impatient with “yet another Olitz scene” just because I may not be a fan of theirs, instead of appreciating how central their plotline is to driving the arcs and the realism in the chronology of their, at times, distressed relationship. People drag out relationships all the time. “Regular” tv shows will have one character jumping from one romantic interest to the next like nothing ever happened prior, without the typical, real-life drama of falling back into bad habits. I appreciate the characters and ignore the “fangirls” who also can annoy me with their, “I’ll stop watching if no Olitz.”. My thing is, given the importance of social-media to this show, I would rather have more die-hard fans than cynics leaving their stamps all over the threads. I think the show is more important than a small, yet vocal set who is, at least, pro-the show, and not manipulating through hate-watching and commenting.

• star says:

Ok but you have typed more on this than even I did so I got your point the first time, my response wasn’t passionate imo it wasnone sentence and an explanation lol seems more like I hit a nerve and you are disguising it as a social media lecture. I don’t care what the fangirls want ( until shonda starts pandering to them which she has admitted she did for a time on Greys) all I said was that I was tired of hearing that same blanket stmt everytime someone responds negatively to Olitz. I then had to follow it up bc u wrote a book when I wasn’t even talking to you.

I know how all this can be solved tho, next time i will uncheck the “notify when new comments are made” box lol

• Moe says:

@Star – PS – When the word “hater” comes out, are you really expecting a mature conversation to follow? I just wouldn’t rile myself up about it. If you get your point out, those who agree will post and support. It’s rare when we can change the minds of others. It’s just about getting your point out there. No big deal.

• A says:

@star, you’re not alone. I’m sorry but it needs to be said. Fangirls and shippers are the worst. Especially those shippers who threaten to boycott a show and stop watching when a couple on the show breaks up or doesn’t get together. it really is the ridiculous. There is a difference between being a hardcore fan of the show and sticking through it no matter what happens and being a crazy, obsessed shipper. I can give you an entire list of obsessed shippers I’ve seen everywhere. Glee (probably the most insane shippers right there), OUAT, and also recently i’ve seen shippers threaten to boycott Psych if {SPOILER ALERT] Jules doesn’t forgive Shawn. And with the case of Glee, I’ve actually seen death threats and attacks on twitter being sent. It’s just madness when they don’t get their way!
          I’d tell all the shippers to watch something else, but I like the show and they help keep the ratings up so yeah…

• Grrrrp says:

I’m definitely on Mellie’s side. It’s hard to side with Olivia when she keeps allowing Fitz the time of day and is reduced to a high school girl instead of the strong willed independent female. And Fitz treats them both like crap. She was right to move out and I don’t have a problem with her ending him. As for Olivia, I actually kind of liked her and Jake because he genuinely tried to make her happy again. Fitz never did that. He’s been really selfish. And that hospital room make out session was a setback from all the progress she’d made.

• Cheyenne says:

Not really. She did run away from him. She realized at the last minute that she couldn’t go through all that crap he put her through again.

• RUCookie says:

I was actually cheering Mellie on last night. Sure, she might manipulate. Sure, she has known for a long time that her husband was a cheater… but he had supposedly stopped. Her yelling was soooo much better than that shower scene a few episodes back where she got on her knees and “begged”. She needed better – and this monologue was better!

• Moe says:

She needed to do this a LONG time ago. Fitz had gotten so arrogant that he was certain she wouldn’t leave and treated her accordingly. It was great seeing him gulp when her realized she was serious.

It’s great to see Mellie’s “growth”. She had placed herself in this cage of accepting bad behavior from her husband, so she behaved like a caged animal. She’s growing, or scheming, either way, she’s developing as a character.

• Viv says:

I don’t understand fandom’s hatred for Mellie; she’s so great. If she and Olivia could team up and dump Fitz, the show would be perfect.

• Dancing with Wolves says:

They have an arrangement. It was an arranged marriage and now she can’t figure out why he doesn’t love it. It’s so 7th grade. She should just play her role.

• Tchalla says:

It was an arranged marriage she played her role Fitz did not play his. You are supposed to show respect for your wife even if you have a side chick.

• Anne says:

I totally agree with you. Mellie is indeed the better half of that deal. I don’t care, how it came to be’ no one twisted his arm. He chose to marry her and she has taken the sorry excuse of a husband and man the she got and pushed it into the White House. She said it” she never left his side”. How much shame and humiliation is a wife to suffer and forgive? She is one heck of a girl. The second shower scene sealed it for me– leave him, seek your own happiness -More Power to You!

• Dancing with Wolves says:

Not all marriages are based on the Prince Charming, love for life scenario. If this was simply an arrangement, then she should play her part, not keep complaining because they don’t love each other.

• Cheyenne says:

How about, for starters, she’s an evil manipulative bitch? Jesus Christ, that woman put her unborn baby at risk by inducing labor three weeks early just to keep her husband tied to her. Your sympathy for Cruella de Mel is wasted. And BTW if she trusts Cyrus to get rid of Olivia for her, she’s nuts. She can’t trust Cyrus around a glass corner and he’s proved that several times already.

• Tana Lynn says:

A cheater yes, but if you were married to a person like Mellie, you would cheat too! She is deceitful, and narsistic, and doesn’t even have a bond or love for her children. They are trophies, and she married Fritz in a bargain with the Pres. Dad!!! Can’t feel sorry for her!

14. Alicia L. says:

This episode was amazing! I feel so bad for Huck, but I hope that they have him reunite with his wife and son in the next season or at the very least have him keep a watchful eye on them from now on. As for a previous comment about Mellie wanting the affair to end now rather than in season one is the fact that it has been almost two years since then and the fact that she has the trump card of an infant that she didn’t have before.

One note that I have made in the past on the Scandal imdb board that I want to make again is the fact that Scott Foley character being a Captain doesn’t make sense because most Admirals are in there sixties so he seems a little young to be a Captain unless they are trying to make the audience believe that he is the same age as Fitz which I don’t buy for a minute.

• Denise says:

Alicia, you’re correct. In the Navy, a captain is equivilent to an O-6 (Colonel) in other branches of the Service. So Jake being a captain is a stretch – but not impossible. (Admirals – are the General ranks (O-7 to O-10) For the record though, Military retirement age is 60 with very few exceptions. (I spent 22 years, enlisted, in the Air National Guard before being Medically Retired 2 years ago… my sister is still in and in her early 40s as an O-5 but was enlisted for 10 years before getting commissioned.)
      Scott Foley-I believe is in his mid-30s… so depending one when the character got commissioned, if right out of college then he could have made Captain by now… but most likely an O-5 (Lt Colonel – – in many branches of the service – I don’t know what it is for the Navy).

15. DavidSask says:

Anyone praising this episode should not be, every-time they had the character ramble his numbers I swore at TV, not to mention who cares of the side-staff yakkin’ their problems. This was clearly an episode Kerry was not able to work!! I also think the character of Huck is overexposed and he is not all that as an actor. On a side-note I think the network and creators fail with this show by f**king with us by putting on new episodes when they wish, eventually I hope it kills the show because of their stupidity. This is a perfect suited show with the ratings it gets to follow the UK and USA cable formats with shortened seasons,

• Moe says:

I think some would’ve been more open to this episode if ABC weren’t constantly stopping the momentum. A 3-week hiatus means 3 weeks of yearning from fans who will then project their wants and needs on the very next episode – that episode would have some continuity and deliver, big time. I’m sure there is a reason, but it distracts the audience.

16. Trip says:

For the record, that was NOT a toddler, LOL

17. DramaMomma says:

Thank you! Thank you, for telling what happened in the last three minutes. My cable cut out at that moment and I was screaming. I knew it was a time but not for what!

Beyond that, was anyone else left wondering how Huck is still alive? And Charlie for that matter? Their old boss would clearly know by now that Charlie didn’t terminate Huck like he said he did. He doesn’t strike me as the type that tolerates lying.

• Moe says:

The members of B613 always dispose of their own bodies. Remember the plastic sheet they would always place “the body” in? That “torture chamber” of theirs is probably covert…tucked away, therefore Hick would know how to escape (according to his training) and where. My thinking…

18. chris says:

Liked the episode, its the first one in months that I wanted to watch again to catch all the nuances. Finally some backstory on what drives the characters, but I am still trying to piece together everything we know about Huck. We need Liv’s history pronto because she has “made” a family but why? Where is her real family?

19. GS says:

OMG! What an episode! Huck broke my heart…although now the family stalking thing makes total sense. Loved Quinn, Abby, and Harrison talking to him and giving a little hint of they are. Kerry Washington just kills in this show! Her face shows so much emotion. I am thoroughly confused about Joe Morton and what the end game is with him, Jake, and the whole Albatross thing. But this is by far the best show on network tv right now! The only 10 o clock show I stay up for. Love, Love, Love Scandal!!

20. Allie says:

Tears. So many tears. Huck’s wounded puppy-dog face gets me every. single. time. I love how Shonda can make us care so deeply about these characters that are so freaking flawed.

21. Grrrrp says:

I understand Mellie completely. After a while you can’t keep up the lies. And she decided, after Olivia hurt Fitz like that, that she couldn’t be a part of his life. And Fitz continues to see Olivia which is getting pathetic. Fitz has been seriously getting on my nerves lately “demanding” a chance from Olivia and if Mellie wants to take him down, I fully support her. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

22. DeeKayTee says:

I am confused about the Huck timeline. He was recruited 14 years ago thrown into the hole maybe 13 years ago…Charlie then faked his death. So at what point did he do all the bad ass stuff on pages 4&5 that got him off the hook for a presumed attempted assassination of the POTUS? Did he join the B-52-6-12’s (or whatever the name of that spy group was) after Charlie faked his death but prior to 5 years ago when he met Olivia? Someone help me out with this one please?!?!

Sidebar: despite my confusion I absolutely LOVED last nights ep!

• KD says:

I was wondering about the time line too. When did he work with all the other assassins?

• Suz says:

The other killers were at the same time Huck was collecting watches. They all had they own method but all worked for same “company.” Huck killed for over a year (few months before pregnancy, and a few months after birth would be at least 13 months). Kid should be about 8/9 when he sees them at train station and that’s whay he stays there to eventually meet OP.

23. Suz says:

*that’s why

24. Chloe says:

Really good episode! Kerry Washington & Guillermo Diaz should be nominated for awards with that performance. Mellie is getting really irritating now. If she was a nicer person maybe Fitz would love her & she only doesn’t seem to mind Olivia & Fitz when it suits her! He wanted to divorce her but she protested, don’t feel sympathy for her at all. I think Olivia should be very wary of Cyrus as he seems like he’d do anything to remain in the White House.

25. Sunny says:

I don’t feel to sorry for Mellie because she got herself involved in a political marriage in the first place. She was more concerned about marrying for money to keep her stock pure. so she really didn’t marry for love. I love Huck and Olivia’s relationship and I hope Olivia can really get over Fitz because she can’t have him. I was mad a Fitz but I kinda don’t see him as a true bad guy because his followed the statues quo and got into a loveless marriage for his father’s approval and now his pretty much stuck. I actually in a weird way kinda feel sorry for him that he can never have a real shot @ real love.

26. H.Houston says:

Huck’s story broke my heart. I was in tears watching it. I thought it was just phenomenal work on GD’s part and The Dark Side of the Moon line was absolutely spot on.

27. Bridgette says:

Loved this episode! Give GD the Emmy right now for such a remarkable performance. Huck is my favorite character on the show. I figured seven fifty-two had to be a time but I was thinking it was the time his wife walked out on him. Or maybe had gotten killed. Very emotional ending. Can’t wait to find out who the mole is. Mellie should think twice about giving Fitz an ultimatum. He did kill Verna. Maybe he should kill her. Fine by me! Haha

28. Jeanne says:

Last night’s Scandal was the worst. episode. ever. The show has wandered so far away from the original episodes with Olivia and Company being political “fixers”. One more episode as gruesome and disturbing as last night, and I’m done.

29. sladewilson says:

One of the best written television episodes of ANY show this year. Thisclose to absolute perfection. Every nuance, every pause, perfect. Columbus Short’s monologue to Guillermo Diaz was sheer perfection. GD’s performance was emmy worthy. KW was on fire last night. As for “Who Loves Mellie” – add me to that catagory – I cheered out loud (and woke my wife, btw) when she told Fitz – I’m outta here and I’m taking the child and you need to get your shyt together like RIGHT NOW or I’m going to blow up your world. Oh Lawd, was I happy!!!! I love me some Mellie. I want her and Olivia locked in a room and when they come out, they give Fitz “the look” (and every man should know what I speak of) and just walk away and he knows better than to even speak. I would pay to see that.

BTW – Jasika was awesome, as always. There is always such a subtlety to her performances. Shonda outdid herself with this one. Awesome episode that completely turns everything inside out and upside down…

30. jason mann says:

Was no else bothered by the missing name patch on Huck’s Marine’s uniform?

• Kira says:

And let’s not forget they called him PFC when he was clearly wearing the rank of Private. In movies/tv shows military uniforms always seem to have at least one mistake. It drives me crazy!!!! Lol I could also go on and on about the proper way to salute. Most of the time the actors make me cringe.

31. Olivia Pope says:

Give. Guillermo Diaz. The Emmy.

32. Onimu says:

Mellie is such a douchebag. She should have left ages ago and never brought an innocent child into the world to snare a man. She made herself into a mat and her threats really don’t mean much as all she wants is to control and use anyone around her.
    Why did she fake Fitz’s signature when he was in a coma? That alone will sink her if it ever got out. Liv said it best – Let Mellie be. She is her own worst enemy when it comes to Fitz. After 20 odd years, she does not know that Fitz hates to be pushed on anything? And she keeps doing it.
    I don’t support adultery but no amount of fame and fortune will EVER make me stay with a man that clearly does not want me and that I did not want until competition came along.
    I feel in the season finale, she will do something stupid like trying to commit suicide or something just to make Fitz stay with her. Hope she succeeds.

Fitz does not need reading as he and Liv are just 2 fools in love. I still blame Liv for it all as she was the one who took the step to walk into his hotel room, knowing he was married with kids, after he told her to go into her room. Everything she did from then on has been against her better judgement – all in the name of love.

Why is she so angry that Fitz left her all alone? She did it to him twice with no explanation and Fitz does it once with no explanation and she goes mental? Please take a row of stadium seats. Either be in or out – no sitting on the fence because it causes confusion and messes up everyone else in the setup. If Liv had walked away permanently the first time, Fitz would have made do with Mellie and innocent Teddy might be a bargaining chip.
    There would be loads of Amanda Tanner’s but Mellie will be ok with that as they will not be a threat to her standing as FLOTUS.

Let’s wait and see what the last 3 eps have in store before I vent completely.

• Euvee says:

THIS!!!

• Brenda says:

Applause, Applause to this post. Im tired of Mellie and her ultimatums, tired. And Olivia I get your hurt, really I do but you can be a hypocrite of the highest order. You have no problems leaving Fitz all alone and I still didnt hear you apologize to the man. Yet Fitz again is the one whose going to be groveling for another chance.

33. Aprilstarz says:

I love Mellie and every storyline she appears in. And by that I mean, I love to hate Mellie! I hope she keeps Fitz on her leash because that adds a great conflict to the story.

34. Vicky says:

I think what angers Mellie is that she thought that Liv and Fitz was just having sex; then realized that it was so much more than that. I truly believe that he will leave her for Livie

35. Cheyenne says:

Cyrus told Charlie to find out what Jake’s relationship to Olivia is. Charlie already has a pretty good ide, but he digs up the dirt anyway. One of two things is going to happen:

1) Cyrus tells Fitz that Jake is banging Olivia.

2) Cyrus tells Mellie that Jake is banging Olivia, and Mellie tells Fitz “your whore is cheating on you behind your back”.

Either way, all hell is going to break loose.

36. Aud says:

Excellent episode! It revealed more background info characters. Great acting by ensemble with special props to GD! Well written with all of the story lines coming together and building. Love that Fitz and Liv are finally talking. This is two adults in difficult, complicated situation. Shonda Rhimes gives us new, different, diverse tv. It was well worth waiting for! Can’t wait until next week. My idea of who the Mole is changes each week but I don’t think Cyrus.

37. ZuluQueen says:

It was not a bad episode but for the hype created around it I’m quite dissapointed. For some of us waiting 3weeks for the episode to air means we are getting over the show in those 3 weeks. It is like rehab. When it airs again I have to fall inlove with it all over again. All the way from South Africa.

38. GTS says:

You might want to meant that toddler Javi is Huck’s son.

• GTS says:

Oh, god, just reread the post and saw that you mentioned baby Javi before you talked about toddler Javi. Sorry.

39. Tana Lynn says:

OK, I have resorted to diagrams! Cyrus has hired Charlie to spy on Olivia to find out her connection with Jake, and his background. (Check); Strange dark man in the park hired Jake to bait Olivia with incorrect info about identity of the mole. Is the dark parkman the same one who was conncected to Huck a long time ago,Charlie currently, and now Jake??? Jake and charlie are clearly connected…..right???? Help me please fill in the gaps. Who do YOU think is the mole??? My guess is Jake of course. I adore this show! Shondra help me please……..what am I missing???? I hope Huck finds his real family! I bet Olivia’s client will become Huck’s wife…..sooner rather than later.

40. Jeanine says:

I recently was reminded of the family that Huck used to sit in his car outside their house and just look at them. May have missed an episode . . . my sister said the friend of his who sat in the car with him at least once, is the one who killed the family . . I can not picture her and what happened to her? Thanks for any help you can give me
    Jeanine