Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Mentalist, Good Wife, NCIS, Bones, Castle, Once, Vikings and More!

Good Wife NCIS Castle SpoilersWho on The Good Wife will stir up bad blood? How will The Mentalist surprise Lisbon? Will an NCIS mystery be quickly solved? Is New Girl about to get very naughty? What comes out of left field for Castle? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

The Good Wife | As interesting as what does happen on CBS’ acclaimed drama – in Sunday’s finale, for example, Colin Sweeney resurfaces (though far from a courtroom), while Cary makes a surprising enemy while forming his upstart firm – is what doesn’t. For example, the April 14 episode was set to revisit the Vampire Diaries fan fiction scandal that nearly upended Diane’s Supreme Court bid, but the scene didn’t make it into the episode. (In the lost sequence, Florrick campaign operative Jim Moody opened up to Diane about his own obsession with the CW soap.) “I’m kicking myself now because the episode was so long we had to cut it,” laments exec producer Robert King. “We will get it online or something. It was a [great] shout-out to Kevin Williamson.”

Elementary | All roads lead to Moriarty…? On next Thursday’s episode, titled “A Landmark Story,” exec producer Rob Doherty shares, “We start with Moran (played by Vinnie Jones) in prison [when] he comes across something on the news that would seem to suggest Moriarty is up to no good in New York City. He reaches out to Sherlock to try to convince him that Moriarty may be here and making trouble.” But while it may not be time to bust out the M-word quite yet, “Moriarty is quite present in this last batch of episodes,” Doherty promises. “He won’t make an appearance until the two-hour finale [airing May 16], but we’re really getting onto his trail in earnest in the [May 2] episode.”

Major Crimes | Adama, call your agent! TNT’s offshoot of The Closer will introduce in Season 2 Jackson Raydor aka (yep, you guessed it) Captain Sharon’s estranged, not-quite-ex husband. Jackson is described as a “charming and devilish rascal” on hiatus from his career as a lawyer to pursue his main passion: gambling. But you can bet on major awkwardness — or sparks? – when Jackson grabs a gig as a public defender, temporarily crashes at Sharon’s place and fast becomes a buddy to ward Rusty.

And now, reader questions answered, via Inside Line’s shiny new email address:

Anything new on The Mentalist‘s finale? Thanks! – Luiza
As promised, the first Q that landed in the new emailbox gets an answer. So, Luiza, you probably heard how Jane is going to narrow down the Red John suspect pool to seven people in the May 5 finale. Well, wait until you see Lisbon’s reaction when he gives her the first name!

Welcome to your new email address! I’m still reeling from the NCIS cliffhanger. What else can you tell us about the upcoming episodes? –Cheryl
And congrats to you, Cheryl, for being the one of 100-plus NCIS emails I chose. This much I can share: Next Tuesday’s episode picks up right where we left off, with Tony and Ziva in the crashed car; no time-jump into a hustling-bustling hospital ER room here. Also, viewers won’t have to wait long to find out who it was that Michael Vaughn’d their vehicle.

Tell us Castle and Beckett are not breaking up in the finale! OK, I know you can’t answer that, but give us something to make us feel better? –Rida
Hmm. Would it make you feel better to have insight into how Andrew W. Marlowe decided wherever it is that Kate and Rick end up at 10:55 pm on May 13? When first planning a finale, the series creator explains, “You have a great map, but it’s like driving through fog a little bit – the closer you get, the clearer it gets. So about seven or eight episodes out, I knew ballpark where I wanted to land.” And versus yet another capper tied to Beckett’s mother’s murder, “I wanted a quieter, more emotional finale, without the fireworks,” he says. “In this one, something comes out of left field that both characters have to wrestle with, something that would be a challenge to any relationship.”

You pick the show, I will take scoop on any! New Girl, Smash or Scandal. –Jackie
Eenie, meenie, miney… Schmidt! Next Tuesday’s New Girl, which reveals how the characters lost their virginity, is filled with expectedly hilarious awkwardness (and braces for Nick!). At the risk of sounding like SNL‘s Stefon, you have prostitutes, a kids’ castle, a dead hobo, tears and a whole lotta lube involved. While Jess’ prom night with Teen Wolf‘s Dylan O’Brien doesn’t go exactly as planned, Cece loses her V-card in a very model way and Nick plays an (unwilling!) role in Schmidt’s first time. And yes, that big Nick/Jess moment that Jake Johnson teased is indeed huge.

So happy to hear Autumn Reeser will be back in the Hawaii Five-0 season finale! Any scoop on what’s going on with her and Danny? –Sarah
While we scoop-hunters may be in the loop, rest assured that for Danny, after being apart most of the season, Dr. Asano’s return is most unexpected.

Greetings from Spain. Got any scoop on Once Upon a Time? –Mundo Magico
Mais oui! (I failed French class.) In an upcoming TVLine Q&A, Lana Parrilla has plenty of wonderful things to say (and tease) about the final three episodes, including how the May 12 finale features “a very sobering moment, where the audience will be very surprised to see some characters have to come together, to work together, to save one another.”

How will Royal Pains handle Hank’s medical situation when the show returns in June? Last we saw, he had suffered a stroke-like emergency from the explosion at Shadow Pond. Will the show pick up with his recovery? –Laura
I have four words that may point you in the right direction: Five. Month. Time. Jump.

From what Bones‘ Emily Deschanel and executive producer Stephen Nathan said over the past week, it seem that Sweets is going to be impacted in a major way by Monday’s season finale. Care to elaborate? –Ed
It’s hard to say more without spoiling the season ender, but yes, Sweets plays a pivotal role in this episode — in that the buttons Pelant is pushing this time around belong to him.

The Nikita writers wouldn’t do anything as obvious as killing off Michael in a finale titled “Til Death Do Us Part…” would they? –Lora
“We have some pretty big deaths coming up,” EP Craig Silverstein spilled in out May Sweeps/Finales Scoopapalooza. And the finale itself, he added, uncorks “one of the most WTF shocks” of the season.

Can you please get info on Vikings? –Lyn
Oh, I’ve got tons, and it’s all coming your way soon. But until then, I shall taunt you with this context-free quote from series creator Michael Hirst, that despite what happens in Sunday’s finale, “I’m very happy to reassure audiences that Lagertha will continue to be a very, very important and major character in the show, for a very long time.” All together now :-O

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email InsideLine@tvline.com! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman and Meg Masters)

1. Oh, Matt, you’re funny with the foreign languages.

Love the NCIS spoiler and the tie in to Alias. Can’t wait to see how Gibbs reacts when he finds out Tony and Ziva have been in an accident and who’s responsible for this accident. Thank you for bringing such awesome NCIS spoilers. :-)

2. Becca says:

The Castle scoop is definitely a job offer. I’m just hoping they don’t do one of those “They break off their relationship for the summer while she tries out the job” things. We all know there’s no show if they aren’t working together and Castle won’t work with her if they’re not a couple. So they’d just end up getting back together the second episode and torturing the fans all summer for no reason.

3. Sandra Slack says:

I agree Kate shouldn’t be with child at this time save that for a show final 10 seasons down the road.I think it will be a showdown between them as to where things are going with there relationship and if marriage is in the picture as well as the offer of a different job that will effect them working together. That would be a good cliff hanger!!!

4. Sandra Slack says:

I think the job offer of permanent Captain for Beckett would be a interesting twist for the show and Castle would be helping the boys and Beckett with cases. Throw in a new good looking female detective and that would juice up the jealousy between them and bring up the question as to where there relationship is headed, is marriage in the picture or is Castle two gun shy!!?

5. gb says:

Lisbon will be surprised because she slept with the first person on the red john suspect list..Walter Mashburn. But it won’t be him. Red john is either brett partridge or patrick jane himself. Ellis Mars was always someone I thought it could be also.

6. Geno says:

The real-life news (or lack of it) about Cote de Pablo’s contract is unsettling to long-term NCIS fans, and not in a good way. The question of her character’s future has become a distraction to the plot. I’m tempted to say I’m done with it if Ziva isn’t back next fall, but again, the show has only soared to new heights every time a character is lost/replaced. But I yield to temptation this time. If Ziva leaves, so will I. That doesn’t mean l won’t ask my wife what’s happening next year, just out of curiosity.

• Shannon says:

I am hoping they do not do what they did to Jenny by killing her off to bring in Vance just for creativity and story stake that was lame. Why is it they are always killing off the female characters who are leads? I really like Ziva and I would like her more if they return her to her kick butt self instead of the soft mush they have made her. I have watched the show since the beginning. I stayed with it for after they killed off Kate and learned to like Ziva’s character. When Jenny was killed for creative purposes I stayed, but a third female character to be killed might be a bit much for me. Why can’t they find something else to do besides kill all the female leads.? It is like Criminal Minds who got rid of Prentiss and Jareau to bring in some newbie who looked exactly like Aj Cook’s character and their ratings plummeted because why get rid of the female characters to make it an almost all boys club? Hence they had to bring back both characters. I am not sure if it is Cote De Pablo’s decision, but if it is not then I will have to say goodbye to the show and watch it on re-runs or on Netflix.

7. I’m glad I’m not the only one to see an Alias – NCIS parallel.

8. jack wittensbourough says:

I’ve already seen The mentalist season finale and… yep, the first name is mashburn

• Shannon2 says:

seriously? I hope he isn’t it because that would not be fun at all. He isn’t even on my top 7 list. I would have gone with someone like tommy volker. Libson slept with him and kind of likes him. He is more fun as a crime enthusiast than anything else. He was already suspect in 2 different crimes.. I guess that would give Libson a shock since she did sleep with him..

• jack wittensbourough says:

Be cool. Mashburn is A name but not THE name.
        The final frame of the season will be super shocking

• Shannon2 says:

Sorry, I did not realize the episode had not aired yet and the name may not be Mashburn although I do not think he is it, I think he will relish in the thought of it like he has prior crimes he was involved in like the attempts on his life etc.. I think Jane would have noticed something when Jane drove his yellow sports car and how he almost vomited..
          he is a thrill enthusiast, but I do not think he is Red John because of clues we have learned and seen before meeting Mashburn. I know he would no tbe on my top 7 because of the things we have learned about Red John so far..
          One of the clues is he is not a friend of Jane’s because Lorelei stated she was surprised they did not become friends the moment they shook hands. He and Mashburn are semi friends..
          It also would seem to be someone we met in prior seasons to match Lorelei’s quote stating he has already met him. So, as an audience member we have seen or glimpses of him at least in prior seasons and where he shook their hand. I am not discounting, but putting great doubts it is anyone we have met in season 5.
          Plus Mashburn it seems is a little young because the deputy who kidnapped the twins in season 1 or 2 I think stated his father was a friend of Red John’s. Taking into account the deputy’s age I would assume Red John is of an older nature. It would be thrown in there to be a shock or a Red Herring..
          I was thinking maybe Gale Bertram or Dean Harkin as a few in the top 10.
          Only time will tell. i just hope the writers see the seasons and whoever Red John is they line up with the clues and information we already have of Red John. I hoping they do not do what Monk did and just harshly patch things together that did not make sense or line up with what was known. I am trying to re-watch all seasons to gather clues and to further my analysis..

9. Sandra Slack says:

I can now see next years season Castle & Beckett married and working federal cases together!!! What will become of the rest of the team I don’t know but I can’t believe they won’t be on the show,after all that whole team together is the show!!!please don’t spoil it.