Smash Series Finale Moved to Sunday; Two-Hour Adieu to Include a [Spoiler!] and a [Spoiler!]

Smash Finale DateIt looks like Smash will go a little less gently into that good night.

In an effort to give the musical drama a more high-profile sendoff, NBC is giving the show a reprieve from its Saturday time slot and has scheduled its two-hour series finale for Sunday, May 26 (9/8c).

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Smash, The Vampire DiariesThe Good Wife, Glee and More!

There’ll certainly be plenty of action packed into the installment — titled “The Tonys” — according to showrunner Josh Safran. “Someone is pregnant! Someone is arrested! There is a kiss between a gay man and straight man — who kisses back!” he teased while spilling spoilers for TVLine’s “May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza.” (Click here for even more intel.)

Smash kicked off Season 2 on Tuesday nights, but the show opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. A few weeks later, NBC made the decision to move Smash to Saturdays beginning with its April 6 episode.

Excited about Smash‘s Sunday sendoff? Or were you getting used to fresh episodes on Saturdays? Sound off in the comments!

1. Karen says:

Please do not cancel Smash. It’s one of the best shows on tv. I worked with community theatre for 10 years and can relate to the characters and drama. The music is wonderful and it is refershing to now have blood and guts.

• Judy says:

There R many who luv this show & need to have their voices heard. All who have positive comments Ned to let the network know along with the sponsors, & the actors in

Sent from my iPad

2. CHI Canada says:

Good post, i will share with my friends.

3. SMASH is in the top 3 of my family’s favorite shows. The writing and cast, the performances, are Oscar and Tony worthy. Please do not cancel this show! You want to leave us with only Glee? Geesh! How about the real adult version? I can’t believe ratings are low. I’m in Los Angeles and we love theatre and tv and film. We know quality, and SMASH has it in every second it airs. Stop this nonsense with your ratings system – it is not accurate anymore – especially since some people dvr it. We’re still watching it and loving it. Don’t make the same mistake that you have time after time NBC, by cancelling the best shows amid viewer protest. Hire me to do your programming! At least I’d give people good quality and what they want to see.

4. Okay, okay, okay – and Emmy worthy, of course.

5. When NBC started moving SMASH around, of course people get upset because you keep changing the schedule and some people can’t find it, or it conflicts with other shows. You just needed to find the right time slot and stick with it! You failed in that regard, NBC. It’s your own fault and it seems like you were trying to kill the show with all these moves. Why would you want to cancel such an outstanding show is beyond my comprehension.

6. KansasGuest says:

Predictable comments since SMASH fans would be the ones to read this article. But, this isn’t the NBC website and TV Line isn’t responsible for keeping anything on the air. You are all preaching to the choir. If you want to communicate your feelings to the actual network that airs SMASH, go over to NBC.com and send your messages to the company that actually airs the show.

7. Cr3 says:

There’s no other show on tv like this. Let it build another season and let people discover how it’s blossomed and its audience will expand. The characters and actors are aleady addictive and thd plot lines have so many possibilities. Keep this show on air!!

8. Jamie Meadors says:

.please don’t cancel i agree it’s a great show

9. mike says:

Smash is the best show on tv – plot, story line, great characters, great acting, great singing, and so very well done. If NBC xx’s the show, please let it be picked up by TBS or another network. It needs to find a home.

10. Melissa says:

Another one of my guilty pleasures gone ! I think this show had potential.

11. gayl says:

They Always get rid of the good ones it seems but keep some trashy shows on FOREVER

12. Shirley says:

I have been a big fan of this show since the beginning….love the cast (so talented), the story line, the inside look into the production of a Broadway musical….it seems they learned a lot from the mistakes they made the first season, this season is amazing. I look forward to watching every week, and always am left wanting more. I have three must-see shows, all on NBC…one of those, The Office, is also coming to an end….and Celebrity Apprentice also ends when there is a winner. I guess I will be spending more time reading!!I really hope they save this show!!

13. June says:

It is such a shame that after all of these years of (Yawwwwn) “Crime” and “Reality” shows in prime time that a well written, slick production like SMASH with a melting pot of culture, drama, humor, sleaze and some dazzling musical and acting performances, was not promoted or nurtured by a network that really needed something like this to put them back on the map.

14. Robin says:

I really like this show!!!! Have watched it from the beginning. Its funny. I’ve stopped watching the Today Show, so if you cancel Smash there’s really no need for me to watch NBC anymore. Thanks.

15. Shelley says:

I can’t believe that they are going to cancel the only show that I look forward to all week! I wish that they would have stuck to last season’s formula. It was spectacular. Maybe the best show that I have ever seen! I don’t know why they had to change what was absolutly fantastic. That Jimmy character sucked! Why couldn’t they have hit him with the taxi or better yet, make him a cautionary tale and have him overdose? He is nothing but a whiny, infantile waste of time. His temper tantrums were relentless. From the first time I was introduced to his character, I knew it would end badly. I love this show. Don’t cancel the show, just cancel that character and go back to the formula that made this show so great last season!

16. Karen says:

Bring Dev back! Make Ivy deperate again! Emphasize the magic of Karen again! We all love the story of the over night success. Get Tom off of his high horse. He should have failed under the overwhelming talent of Derek, who is the character that we love to love and hate! Bring back Karen’s parents, who draw in the emotions that all of us parents have for our children who don’t always do the things that we think are right. GET RID OF JIMMY! That character is the worst! And by the way, so unbelievable! If this kid showed up in NY with the attitude that he is so fantastic that he cannot be replaced, then guess what would happen… He would be replaced! He does not possess anything especially magical as far as I can see, and he really is not much to look at. Keep that sexual tension and unrequited love story of Karen and Derek. Bring back the magic of last season! You got rid of some of the most amazing characters and tried to replace them with crap! What did you think would happen? The show is fixable. Just return to the story lines of last season and get rid of the crap, and this show would rock again!

17. Amber says:

So sad to see a GREAT show be cancelled! :(

18. Lisa says:

Please,please,please do not cancel Smash! It’s actually one of the few shows that adults enjoy watching! Tired of vampires, fairytales that are bloody, or reality shows! this is a grade A show with a grade A cast! Grow up sponsors, the demographics are funded by the more mature audience !

19. Moonchild says:

Precisely! All of my friends watch “Smash.” What the freak is the problem with the network? If this show is cancelled I plan to cancel cable and just rent movies and read. I am beyond disappointed in the networks. 666 Park Ave., also one of my favorite shows, is being cancelled. Cancelling “Smash” is the last straw as far I am concerned. The networks don’t know their you-know-what from…..You get the picture.

20. Mary Carlson says:

I did enjoy Smash. I refuse to watch any “reality” TV. Why do I want to see a bunch of ugly ,stupid people ,do ugly ,stupid things ? Or stupid ,over made up rich people doing ugly,stupid things ? I am tired of police shows ,and don’t even get me started on ‘Hannibal’. Gross! I have heard that Mcphee is mad because she thought she would be a break out hit ,but Megan Hilty stole her smoke. Whatever. I AM a Nielson household. Much good it does me! This show should have been an HBO show. A kind of Broadway meets Sex and the City redux. But it was not to be. Ah,well.

21. Smash4Ever says:

Totally losing respect for NBC! REALLY? Moving SMASH to end on a Holiday weekend and changing the night to Sunday? For those of us who don’t have time to see which way the wind is blowing to see where SMASH is this week… please just renew it, put it back on Tuesday nights where it belongs! Give it a FAIR chance after all the CRAP that happened at the end of the first season and firing of those that needed to be. KEEP SMASH! A DECENT SHOW, THAT CAN BE GREAT! I LOVE IT!

22. Kelly says:

So Sad this show is cancelled! I love love love it! I only watch this show and The Voice when it’s on. I can’t stand all the other CRAP that’s on. NBC are fools for not giving this show more of a chance!

23. moving says:

Id have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

24. Mary B says:

SMASH is (and was) a quality, different show which people enjoy ! We have Far TOO MANY Reality shows on TV……..I love Broadway and Smash, even with its faults, was the closest we get to Broadway on TV, outside of PBS. I wish some other network would pick it up, but the cast is probably auditioning for other things already. Do what I did and buy Season 1 on DVD and if they offer Season 2, buy it also ! The albums are excellent as well.

25. Lulu says:

Just please dont cancel smash. Or at least let Karen and Derek end up together then do what you want with it. Puhlease.

26. Gary says:

I Totally Agree about the Main subject here S.O.S. – “Save Our Smash!” It’s such a refreshing change from all those years of the Law and Order, CSI and other police/forensics/lawyer and “Unreality” reality shows as well as others! It’s a Very Entertaining and Enjoyable show for a change!

27. stephanie says:

I’m still hoping they don’t cancel this show! It’s one of my favorites

28. gail says:

Love Smash and think it is one of the best shows around. I was very disappointed that Karen and Derek finally got together and it was so stupid that nothing happened. It is even
    stranger then the sweet girl from Iowa would be interested in Jimmy. He adds nothing to the show for me. If they end the show and Karen and Derek do not get together it is a total waste. Everyone that watches the show is waiting for that. I am so sad to see it possibly go. Season one was much better but this season is getting very good. It deserves one more season. At least you do not see blood and guts are killings which can
    be very depressing in this world. It puts a smile on my face watching Smash. If it is cancelled hopefully another network or a cable station will pick it up. All I care about for the finale is to let Karen and Derek realize they love each other and their day has come.

29. joe robbins says:

I’m already looking forward to season 3 of Smash, NBC. It’s a relatively sophisticated entertainment, so while it might be over the heads of the children, there’s an adult audience out here that appreciates the nuance. Keep up the good work.

30. DaisyDuke says:

Oh man another GOOD show I love possibly canceled. I will be so annoyed if that is the case. I love this show because it has singing, dancing, and all around good drama. I am so sick of everything on tv being so dark and dismal.

Please dont cancel this show! If they do I will boycot NBC and never watch another thing on it again. I adore Megan Hilty, and if nothing else comes of this show then at least we were introduced to an adorable remarkable singer! I am sure she will get hired immediately for another show. I just want to hear her sing!

31. Claire says:

First year of SMASH was GREAT! second year was ho-hum-ish w/ a few ‘okays’??? The Jimmy character was NOT my favorite and just seemed pointless. It would make a better stage play?? Katherine McPhee was lackluster and emotionless. Like a dishrag… was’t impressed with her acting but can listen to her sing.

• sinsarakris says:

Agreed. I am just shocked that they allowed some total loser character like Jimmy to run this show. Why did they not just kill HIS character and move on with the original show idea??

32. Liz Gartke says:

I absolutely adore Smash! It’s one of the only truly riveting shows on t.v. this season. I am very disappointed by the decision to cancel it. I’m sure its due to the change in time slots. The audience it targets are busy Tuesday nights. Originally it was on Sunday nights at 10 p.m. I could watch it in peace and quiet after the kids had gone to bed. I will be watching the dvd’s instead.

33. In my opinion (and please understand it’s an opinion), I think that Smash was one of the interesting shows on NBC. I’ve never watched NBC shows. This show was the first and probably the last since it doesn’t seem like NBC has positive reviews on their TV shows except the occasional few (Smash included). Smash was one of the original shows. Nothing about crime fighting, vampires, werewolves, high school type of shows you see often. It was about Broadway, the world that many people are oblivious today. It was about the work done and drama behind the creation and production of a Broadway show. And now it’s going to be gone in just a few short weeks.

34. claudia says:

Please don’t cancel Smash!!! It is my favourite tv show and I love it so much!! The songs are great, the actors are incredible and I swear I will be so angry if its cancelled. It’s one of the only good shows on tv these days. So please don’t cancel, and please listen to all of us angry fans who want Smash to continue!!

35. j. taylor says:

NBC is making a HUGE mistake cancelling this one!!! Why is it any quality show and NOT ANOTHER REALITY SHOW gets cancelled.

36. David says:

Very disappointed. Shame of NBC for airing it on Saturday evening. REALLY? Did you honestly, think that moving the show on Saturday would help?

37. ann says:

love this show….someone pick it up….

38. TAR says:

This is so sad, such a great, entertaining, joyful, outstanding show. What do we have to watch dumb shows, reality crap. When you have a show for everyone to enjoy and a show that leaves you feeling good & happy NBC cancels. Shame that the entertainment has never listen to the fans. Smash will be forever Broadway.

39. LaBoricua says:

I love this show!!! I am very passionate about acting and singing. I am a mom and a wife and this show was like the only I watched by myself!!! Please don’t cancel the show!!!!! let me be a starrrrr!!!!!

40. Becky says:

if it isn’t cancelled I hope to god Ivey isn’t pregnant by Derrick. He should be with Karen and
    Karen shouldn’t be with that loser, cry baby Jimmy. Whoever thought of that character wasn’t
    thinking. No wonder the show is tanking., ,

41. Judy Whyte says:

I agree with all the people who loved this show, this is a mistake to cancel this, and NBC should know it. Why they didn’t keep it on, for the whole year when they introduced it, is beyond me, that is why the low response when it came back. People get into their shows, and won’t leave them for another, unless they can’t resist. This show is by far heads above most of these sad shows that are on other networks, and whatever will replace it on NBC. Sure wish you would reconsider, and keep it alive…..Music is outstanding.

42. paul says:

Smash is wonderful. It is terrific entertainment and a great change from political cat fighting, depressing news, and horrible reality TV reality shows. My wife and I and our boys watch it who are both Varsity Athletes, who appreciated the switch from Reality TV and Sports. NBC should let it find its audience and stick with it. Loved this show. Please don’t cancel it. Give it a different night……….or any night, just keep it going, or sell it to someone else who will continue it.

43. Kris says:

Heres some writing tips for the next tv show….no one wants to watch a character like Jimmy get ahead in life…and a character like Derek keep get beaten down over and over and over and someone amazing like Katherine McPhee PINING over some loser that ONLY acts like a spoiled rotten totally entitled “the world owes me something”-“want to be” that treats everyone in his path like crap.

They took an amazing show and turned it into a total disaster, train wreck…that no one wants to see.

BUT PLEASE make another Smash and get back to the original writers and story lines

44. Barbara says:

I love Smash! I’m not surprised it is being cancelled because this country’s musical taste is in the sewer. Give ‘em foul mouthed rap lyrics and they’re happy.

Barb

45. Song says:

I’m sad the show is cancelled, I didn’t start watching until this season after I caught up on season one on hulu. I don’t have cable so hulu is how I watch everything. Do they not take those viewers into consideration? I love the music and the drama. I think the characters are dynamic and the story line has me hooked, the show always ends before I am ready!! I looked at NBC’s fall line up and now the only thing on NBC I will be watching is Grimm. I will miss the show.

46. Leigh says:

I’m really sorry to see it go. Was less enthusiastic about the first season with the constant cat fights. But I enjoyed the second season with the story lines about the two plays and getting to see some of the behind the scenes stuff about off-broadway vs broadway, etc. Would have kept the series record turned on for another season at least – probably more.

47. Lucy Smitt says:

Please do not kill SMASH, it is a great show! I love all the music, both bombshell and hitlist, and would love to see how they play out the great gatsby. SMASH definetly is not the best show in the world, but it is funny and entertainng, please do not cut it!

48. Evelyn says:

I love this show!! I am so super sad that it’s getting cancelled!!! I agree with other commenters that in a world of reality and supernatural t.v. shows, SMASH was refreshing and entertaining!!!

49. Howard says:

Sorry that Smash was cancelled, it was fun show. So tired of cops,guns,blood,gore and reality shows. Time to tune out NBC and go to cable shows.

50. Casey says:

We love this show! We are getting frustrated trying to track it down. NBC should leave on Tuesday’s and let the audience grow. It is great but can’t succeed if they ,ove it’s time slot repeatedly