Smash Series Finale Moved to Sunday; Two-Hour Adieu to Include a [Spoiler!] and a [Spoiler!]

Smash Finale DateIt looks like Smash will go a little less gently into that good night.

In an effort to give the musical drama a more high-profile sendoff, NBC is giving the show a reprieve from its Saturday time slot and has scheduled its two-hour series finale for Sunday, May 26 (9/8c).

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Smash, The Vampire DiariesThe Good Wife, Glee and More!

There’ll certainly be plenty of action packed into the installment — titled “The Tonys” — according to showrunner Josh Safran. “Someone is pregnant! Someone is arrested! There is a kiss between a gay man and straight man — who kisses back!” he teased while spilling spoilers for TVLine’s “May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza.” (Click here for even more intel.)

Smash kicked off Season 2 on Tuesday nights, but the show opened its sophomore season with just 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, plunging 25 and 39 percent from its freshman finale and both marking series lows. A few weeks later, NBC made the decision to move Smash to Saturdays beginning with its April 6 episode.

Excited about Smash‘s Sunday sendoff? Or were you getting used to fresh episodes on Saturdays? Sound off in the comments!

1. Ashley says:

I just hope that the finale has an ending and we aren’t left with some cliff-hanger when the show ends

2. Ana says:

This is my favorite show on television it has a great storyline and maybe it did get of on a weird foot but it is extremely creative!! NBC should count in the online and DVR views. To give an example gossip girl was going to be cancelled in France becaus did the lack of ratings on television, but that does not mean people aren’t watching it they just could not wait to watch it delayed and decided to watch it online ilagally when the came out in the US. Really guys this show has an amazing plot and there is nothing like it on tv today!!! Give it a third season at least!!!

3. Pd says:

WE LOVE this show. NBC—don’t cancel it! Smash was never given a fair chance because of moving it’s timeslot all the time. Now with the finale over Memorial Weekend—that is a crappy strategic move by NBC just so less people will get to watch it!

4. Brenda Stahl says:

u can still vote to save Smash, the voting ends tonight at 9pm. please don’t cancel, the percentages look really good for Smash, so maybes there’s hope

5. Jeff Eletto says:

SMASH lovers just go to Eonline and vote on the Save a Show campaign. SMASH actually has a great chance of winning because it’s currently a few percentage points from Number One. SO far all the shows that have won the campaign have been given one more season! I just hope they get a new Producer and writer if it’s saved…

6. Carsten says:

Please DON’T cancel SMASH !

7. Trudy Speigner says:

I guess I’m the third one who is a NASCAR/Smash crossover. I think the first season was better than this season of Smash, but this past Saturday night redeemed this season completely.

I love good television shows, both network and cable. I love Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, and am thoroughly enjoying Vikings. I also enjoy Good Wife, CSI, and Scandal. And I do love Smash. It’s different than any other show I/we watch. Any other network but NBC and it would have been advertised, promoted, paired with another big ratings show, aired on a strong weeknight, and started in the fall. The biggest problem working against Smash is the incompetent leadership at NBC. If they were interested in quality programming they would keep this jewel, advertise it and bring it back in the fall when tv viewing habits for a season are being formed. But quality programming and NBC are not synonymous.

8. Jess says:

The first season of Smash was the best.. I like how it took an idea and now after showing all the behind the scenes of it, it’s on Broadway.. The biggest problem was having to wait for FOREVER or the second season, people lost interest. Also, having Bombshell and Hit List battling. I understand that one show can only go so far, but either have it follow ONE MAIN show, or let the First one end an start with a new musical.. I like Hit List and the music is good (not as good as season 1′s Bombshell, but then again.. It followed a person that EVERYONE knew and you learned MM’s back story).. This one is completely different musical theme and setting.. Again, really good, but the depth isn’t there as much.

All in all, I do LOVE this show and really hope it can continue on somehow. I watch it on Hulu bc my life is so crazy that I’m never home or can watch it when it comes on.

9. Lilia Moreno says:

I love Smash. Hopefully NBC doesn’t cancel. I will follow the show if it goes to cable.

10. Joseph says:

Smash is a guilty pleasure ,
    Wish it would come back each year with 13 Episodes during the summer , BUT it really needs better writing ,
    as for who might be pregnant , Megan Hilty (Ivy Lynn) with Dereks Baby
    who gets arrested the obvious would be Jeremy Jordan (Jimmy) the character is a hothead
    as for who kisses who , easy guess would be Jeremy Jordan (Jimmy) and Andy Mientus (Kyle) , but I would also not be surprised if it might be Kyle and Derek !

11. Laurie says:

This is one of the best shows on TV. I can’t believe that they would even think about cancelling it. They should be promoting it more to attract viewers. When ABC introduced Revenge, it was advertised non stop.

12. Robin says:

This is a great show that will be cancelled,it is really an expensive show to put on every week.NBC is not getting back what it costs them to produce,so we the people again have to suffer with reality crap that is cheap to produce.And there it is,money the root of all evil wins again.

13. Sharon says:

I love this show and am so sad to see it end. It is like a really good book that I don’t want to finish and the subject is so different then anything we have seen. I love the songs, the storylines, and I have really enjoyed this look at Broadway that I would have never ever seen before. NBC, you should have left it where it was in the original time slot!

14. Lacey says:

I love Smash. I never miss an episode and I spend the money to buy the music.

15. Caro says:

They are moving the show time again? What is wrong with NBC? And calling this a series finale – have they officially cancelled the show? I hope not but if you look at the rest of the NBC lineup SMASH doesn’t fit because it is good! Every other NBC show is garbage! But hey, maybe NBC doesn’t want smart, professional adult viewers? With their lineup…they seem to wants kids and welfare recipients…way to court those ad dollars!

16. gailllc says:

I watch very little TV, but I ALWAYS tune in to this show no matter what day it is on… sad, mad, and sad some more that it is going away. Hope it wins a reprieve so much!

17. D says:

I really like the show, but what turns me off about it is the lip-locking & bed scenes between gay people. I mean, are those bits really neccessary, when it can just be implied that characters are gay with a look or two men holding hands?

18. bobbie says:

If only: NBC found the right sponsors for the program! I love the show, and I don’t want it to end. Community got to come back, why not Smash? It’s even better than Community in that it doesn’t make us watch cartoons and puppets. And Megan Hilty! Will I ever see her on a tv show again? It was such a pleasure!

19. David4 says:

The ratings of the show, even by CW standards, are horrible. It’s dead. All of you dreaming that it isn’t because NBC hasn’t said so yet are nuts. It’s like Up All Night, I’m sure that hsow is coming back… right… right?

20. Anna says:

Hoping this show will be back next season. Loved season 1 and thought Season 2 was even better with the introduction of the new cast and the great songs in Hit List. Don’t care what nights it on, I want to see this show back!!!

21. Annelise says:

Smash was a great concept. Fresh and original. I really can’t believe that they choose to cancel it to put more crappy reality poo poo. Great cast, great music, great story. Shame on you NBC.

22. karen neal says:

no sunday finale!–Monday is good!

23. Judy Gaul says:

Congratulations NBC, U have done it again canceling a show that was entertaining. why do you even try scripted shows when you cancel every show that is cheap. Comcast has billions of dollars & NBC needs to rise from the bottom of the ladder in ratings. Just look at all the comments from devoted viewers. Congrats staying at the bottom of the ratings game. Let’s all boycott NBC! Judy G.

24. Cloe says:

This is the best show on Tv, people are watching, and it shouldn’t be canceled WE WANT SEASON 3!

25. Danielle H. says:

OMG.. they have moved this so much. They will have been on 3 different days and multiple time slots (they keep moving the saturday one around.. my DVR didn’t even catch it one week!) I am having to work with my DVR to even find the show. This blows because I will have to stop recording Mad Men most likely and catch a later airing of that just to accomodate this. GDI how stupid..

26. Chris says:

Look guys…I wanted to love this show. I LOVED the pilot…but it never lived up to it. There were glimmers of hope–mostly Megan Hilty’s amazing performances (Let’s Be Bad, Never Met a Wolf Who Didn’t Love to Howl, Moving the Line). But let’s face facts. Not enough people are watching it.

For all the people who saying it wasn’t promoted enough… ARE YOU KIDDING??! I remember seeing ads for it back in October. TVLINE and other outlets were constantly announcing when guests starts and new actors were being added since Season 1 ended (that’s free advertising people!). It was promoted all over it’s genre based demographics main websites (ie Broadwayworld.com, Broadway.com) and broader entertainment sites as well. It had huge billboards all over LA and NY/Times Sq. The only problem I see is in the way it was aired. Showing the first half of season opener on Hulu and iTunes….in this day and age…does nothing to help the show. I remember about maybe 6 years ago a lot of cable shows would get leaked online through off the radar channels (ie bit torrent, peer2peer downloading). That was almost grass roots promotion. But now that everyone has access to Hulu and such…why would they tune in on TV if they can see it online? (With much fewer commercials). And NBC should have either aired it in the Fall where viewers hoped it would be or waited to pair it with The Voice in the Spring.

The horrible writing didn’t help either. Jimmy’s character was horribly written. I don’t blame Jeremy Jordan one bit. I think he has a natural screen presence and likability…but not with this character. If they would have written the character a little more gritty…rather than glossy gritty… I think he would have been more compelling. He turned out so whiny and bi-polar. Kat McPhee has never been known for her acting skills…just her voice. But come on, pitting her against Hilty, who has more Marilyn in left pinkie than McPhee has in her whole body, was NEVER believable. The problem from the start was that the show moved WAY too fast. The girls were basically vying for the part in the first episode…where only what 3 songs were written for the show with NO BOOK… Don’t you usually wait til you have some basic structure for a show before you cast the role?

As for any other channel picking this show up… Why would they dump money into a show that has already lost money and viewership? Very few shows have EVER made a channel leap. The few that I can think of–Scrubs, Medium, The Hogan Family–switched networks and didn’t last long after that….the thing about those shows, they started out as hits and had broader appeal than Smash. The shows that have made leap and have been successful have moved to channels where they have a built in demographic. (Ex: The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd moved from ABC to Lifetime and ran for 3 more years) Or they have moved to synication…where no doubt they have taken a budget cut….something that Smash couldn’t afford. (It would slim the cast–most of the main actors–ie Messing & Houston–would take a pay cut or leave the show. Also the production values would go down.)

All in all….we have seen the last of Smash, at least as a TV show anyway. I think the only way we will see it again is if Bombshell makes it to Broadway. And it better be with Ms. Hilty.

• Claire says:

it seriously DOES need to be a stage play. I’d like to see it (the play) from start to finish. and Hilty as Marilyn was a NO BRAINER…(duh) Call Eileen Rand…she’ll produce it…;)

• Claudia says:

I disagree with the Karen/Ivylittle pinky comment because Ivy was the obvious choice; however, the show surprised us with the innocent brunette in Boston where she clearly was a soulful Marilyn and so much much more.

27. teri says:

One of the cable networks should pick up this show. USA, TNT or TBS have so mm e awesome original programing. Network TV is carp with the exception of a few good sitcoms…otherwise it is all stupid reality shows.

28. jake says:

what’s up with the suits at NBC? they have a quality show, a great cast and wonderful music, but they fail to give it a chance…but they keep crap like dateline, chicago fire revolution on..they’re bottomfeeders anyway..let the people have a good, different show..no more sitcoms that aren’t funny or blood and gore…and certainly no “reality” shows…keep SMASH on…

29. Beth says:

“Someone is pregnant! Someone is arrested! There is a kiss between a gay man and straight man — who kisses back!” And none it matters! Because the show is cancelled!

RIP Smash. it was a good show, just didn’t have a clear shot between the time slots, hiatus and bad scarves.

30. Paloma says:

Since they are clearly going to end Smash, I would like to see the entire show of “Bombshell” and the entire show of “Hit List” run through in order.

But I agree with many here. Season 1 was much better than season 2. I wish that they had stayed focused on Bombshell and not bifurcated the show and split our attention (with uninteresting plots and sub plots). I would have liked to see the “West Wing” of Broadway. And we didn’t get there. But I still will be sorry to see it go. It had such potential

31. Robin says:

I am thrilled that the Finale is moved to Sunday night. I hope this is the SEASON Finale and not the end of the show. This is a keeper NBC. Please bring it back for a 3rd SEASON! Thank you.

32. Craig says:

Love Smash! Don’t want to see it go! Why is 4.5 million a “Bad” number of people. Don’t cancel it. Sunday’s would be a great spot for this show!!!

33. James says:

NBC=Nothing But Crap. Has no idea how to run a television network.

34. Betsy says:

Please don’t cancel; great show!!

35. Terry says:

Pleeeeease don’t cancel this show! I love it and look forward to it every week. It’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. TAN

36. Kate Whisler says:

The problem is the 2nd season started off very slow and confused. Too many plot lines and then when they gave Marilynit to Ivy clinched it. I beg to differ to whoever said Katherine can’t sing Broadway. Her Mother trained her and the reason she didn’t win Idol was that she was considered too Broadway. I love the show from the the pilot but the 2nd season really killed it and I was very disappointed. This past episode was GREAT it was the first GREAT episode of the Season. Ivy was fantastic as Marilyn and the duet with her and Karen was the shows highest point! The show deserves many more seasons but the writers need to be fired, I’m sorry but the writing was horrible for the 2nd season. Whenever there is a show that can compete with the HBO and Showtime series they cancel it. Let me name them..Harry’s Law, Body of Proof, and now SMASH!! I’m going to start a Save Smash FB page and see what reaction that generates.

37. Sue says:

I really hope the show is not cancelled. It is one of the few shows with no killing, no detectives and no cops….yeah….that alone is amazing. I love the premise and the music, acting etc. The show needs time to grow and it needs to stay in one place. I am forever searching for it …

38. kenchi says:

Because of Smash, I’m never watching another NBC produced movie or TV series again. For too long, NBC execs continue to interfere with TV shows they produce, thinking they know better than the producers, directors and script-writers. As a result, another series has bit the dust.

Thanks, NBC, for messing up another series that you are producing for network TV. Thi is the biggest example of why Network Execs should remain in the board-roomn and stay out of the production studios. The only thing they should be worried about and dealing with are ratings, not about how they think a certain character should be written.

39. Ihatemorons says:

I know so many of you want to save this show, but it isnt going to happen. Why would NBC waste anymore money on this show? Its expensive and has no ratings. If you added up every viewer on dvr, live and website for the entire season, it wouldnt crack the top 20.

• Jeff Eletto says:

Yeah, but as I have pointed out in 2 posts that the Save a Show poll on eonline ended up saving each show that won the poll each time they have done it and Smash is in the lead at the moment.

40. Diane says:

AbsOlutely liove this show, characters and storyline. Just when we get used to a time slot, you go ahead and change it. For me it doesn’t make a difference. What ever day it’s on, I will be watching…lGREAT SHOW!

41. Karina says:

I love this show soooooooooo very much! If the network is going to complain about the ratings they should have thought about that before they started playing hop scotch with the days it would air. It is a shame to waste such great, talented, and gifted peices of art and stories for the DRAMA that is reality TV. Please let Smash at least continue on with another network. Apparently NBC has no backbone or morals if they can’t even support there own shows. SMASH FAN ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!!!!

42. greysfan says:

Seeing how many comments are on this article it makes me wonder how accurate the ratings actually are. There are a lot of people i know who watch Smash and were disappointed when it was shafted to Saturdays. I mean really, how accurate is the ratings. Its what a very very small portion of people. IMO with the technology we have these days it could be a lot more accurate. Every set top box or digital tv could easily transmit data at the end of each night.

• I agree. Every female I know (and some males) watches this show, and the majority of comments on this post are for Smash not being cancelled. I think they’re either having problems with the show (actors not getting along, money issues, etc.) or they just want it to fail. It’s very sad to me.

43. Maribel says:

I’m really sad to see Smash go. It’s a very good and enjoyable show with plenty of great talent. Not many of us get a chance to see shows on Broadway so this is a great way of enjoying the whole Broadway thing. There are enough shows about murderers, terrorists and FBI agents on TV. Smash is a refreshing and a truly entertaining escape from all that ugliness. I’m guessing we’ll never get to see Julia’s ‘Gatsby’ materialise. :(

44. I really hope someone else picks this show up! Love it! I’m a single mother who goes to school full and works. This show was my ‘me time’ along with Game of Thrones and Girls. It would be wonderful if it was moved to HBO, that’s where it should’ve been in the first place. With a specific time slot that wasn’t constantly being changed and never announced on a bigger scale. NBC killed this show. Probably so they can fill the slot with something about cops investigating something or some mindless reality show.

45. Judy Gaul says:

Michael, Please show all these comments to NBC. They are making a terrible mistake canceling this show, & will lose many viewers. NBC has made many viewers angry by canceling good shows i.I.e. Harry’s Law, The Client. I guess they just don’t care what the public wants and worry about 18-25 age group. What about the rest of us? Many DVR shows to watch later. Are we being counted the the ratings census? Come on folks,let’s campaign to save Smash.

46. Please please please NBC, don’t cancel this show.

47. Colleen says:

I love SMASH! We just need more singing and dancing like the first season! PLEASE don’t cancel!!!!!

48. KansasGuest says:

IIRC, the hour-long spy comedy CHUCK was the last show NBC kept on the air while defying all reasonable predictions of its cancellation. Do you know how fans did it for CHUCK’s five seasons? Subway sandwiches! Fans supported one of the show’s early sponsors, Subway, to such an extent that the network took notice. They literally ate their way to success, supporting Subway shops nationwide & telling the stores they were there because of CHUCK. It even became a long-running joke in the show that one of the supporting characters was always eating or ordering a foot-long Subway sandwich.

I have no idea what kind of advertising supports SMASH. But, I just wanted to put this little story out there to inform people that it takes a heck of a lot more than whining messages vilifying NBC to get their attention. In fact, they’re more likely to tune you out with those kinds of postings. It takes creativity and thinking outside the box. There was another series, JERICHO, that received one more season by CBS after being cancelled because fans sent 20 tons of nuts to CBS headquarters.

49. Dianne says:

NOOOOO! Love SMASH, so much! I didn’t know until recently it was in trouble! What can we do (anthing?) to help bring it back. Oh, and The Voice is on wwaaayyyyy too much and doesn’t hold a candle to SMASH!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!! They shouldn’t have moved it all over the schedule. I had an awful time keeping track of it. Would love to see it come back!!!
    Di/OHIO

50. DZ says:

I just want to say that finally there is a show that is pure, wonderful talent. The hour goes by so fast, and I enjoy every minute of it. I am so sick of all the police dramas, crime shows, hospital soap operas, and don’t get me started on reality TV. All these shows do is promote violence and more violence. Remember a little show called Friends? It took a few seasons for it to gain its momentum. NBC hasn’t given Smash much of a chance. Such a shame. Everyone I know loves it. A wonderful cast, with musical numbers that give me the chills every time! It gets moved for another stupid dating show????? Well, we see how great that turned out. NBC – be smart and put Smash back where it was!!! And don’t take it off the air! Not much on TV these days I’ll even watch anymore. Save this wonderful show.

• KansasGuest says:

The days of allowing a show to build an audience are gone. In this atmosphere FRIENDS & SEINFELD would have been cancelled midway thru their first seasons – two of the most popular, widely syndicated programs that earned NBC *billions.* Ironic, huh? Even THE BIG BANG THEORY took 2-3 seasons to get up to full speed. Now, it’s a ratings buster.