Exclusive First Look: Pulled Hannibal Episode Repackaged as 'Cannibalized' Web Series

Get More: Exclusive, Video, Web Series

NBC is giving Hannibal fans a chance to feast on the show’s fourth episode, which was pulled from the schedule ahead of this week’s airing in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings.

The network is incorporating footage from the lost hour into a series of “cannibalized” webisodes that will serve as a narrative bridge between Episode 3 and this Thursday’s Episode 5 (NBC, 10/9c) — and TVLine has an exclusive first look at the debut installment (featuring an introduction from exec producer Bryan Fuller).

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! — Scoop on Hannibal Season Finale

As Fuller explains, Ep 4 “details the relationship between Hannibal Lecter and Abigail Hobbs, played by Kacey Rohl,” explains Fuller. “As the series goes on, this relationship gets much more complicated and becomes a load-bearing element of our storytelling. So we wanted to make sure that you have all the scenes to follow the story along.”

In the first part below — more clips will debut on NBC.com — Dr. Lecter has a therapy session with Will Graham, and then secretly inspects the profiler’s home before getting a taste of blood.

Comments (63)

• I guess NBC are really eager to save a show for once.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – April 24, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they were that eager, they would’ve moved Hannibal to Tuesdays instead of Grimm. That’s a choice more likely to kill both shows than save either, in my opinion.
      NBC still boggles my mind.

Comment by DL – April 24, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Grimm does great on Fridays, the only reason to move it is to make Dateline three hours long.

Just show episode 4, how hard is it?

Comment by Midori – April 24, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lector means “reader” en Spanish and it was the name of the character in Michael Mann’s movie, but thie Hannibal is Lecter. ;)

Comment by Eneko Ruiz – April 24, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed, thanks!

Comment by Vlada Gelman – April 24, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually i think you’ll find it was “LeKtor”, know-it-all. :/

Comment by Cereal Killa – April 24, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry i made a typo, correct spelling below – L.E.C.K.T.O.R.

Comment by Cereal Killa – April 24, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, you are wrong. BOTH times.

Comment by KevyB – April 25, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually i think you’ll find it was “Lecktor”, know-it-all. :/

Comment by Cereal Killa – April 24, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t find anything on NBC.com you speak of and this video won’t load for me?? Help plz

Comment by Sherri – April 24, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When the article says that this is “an exclusive first look,” it means it’s not yet available elsewhere.

Comment by Simon Jester – April 24, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can you make it available even for currently non-US, please?

Thank you and sending you kisses :-).

Comment by Marian Woods – April 24, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Use TunnelBear … a small free utility that will allow you access to out of region videos. Google it.

Comment by Mark – April 24, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hi thanks so much for the tip, changed my life!

Comment by sue – April 24, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was said that this episode would be aired outside the US, so I think we’ll just have to wait until any channel airs it to watch it via streaming or something.

Comment by Nerdbot – April 24, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Just wait for it to show up online and problem solved. ;)

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 24, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Canada skipping this ep too?

Comment by Jay – April 24, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get wanting to be sensitive, but this show is about a man who KILLS PEOPLE AND EATS THEM. Pulling one episode that doesn’t even appear to be bombing-related out of fear of offending people is just so strange. The very nature and purpose of the show is gruesome no matter what happens in each individual episode.

Comment by Brooke – April 24, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This may be wrong, but I read somewhere that Fuller actually was discontent over the child-on-child violence aspect of the ep because of the Sandy Hook shootings. It seems like the Boston bombings served as the impetus to pull the ep, but he actually took issue beforehand. Though who knows… But like you said, the show is ABOUT gruesome murders. That’s either offensive/unacceptable or it’s not, and shouldn’t be predicated on the latest tragic events. /$0.02

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 24, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your last sentence is especially well worded. If your info about Fuller’s discontent is accurate, I find that strange too. He was okay enough with children-on-children violence all through the writing, filming, and editing process but now he’s not? It seems like the moral line shouldn’t be this fluid. Should L&O SVU cease to exist completely because of the Steubenville rape or Sandy Hook? That show exists for the sole purpose of telling stories about rapes and crimes where children are victims.

In the end, if Fuller doesn’t want to show this episode, that’s up to him, but this whole recent spate of pulling episodes has just had me musing about these things. We’re very, very entertained by violence, if you consider all the crime shows on TV and the ratings we get, but certain things make us suddenly want to suddenly scrub a very selective, small portion of that entertainment for some reason, and I’m finding that difficult to reconcile. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason and people are just reacting emotionally.

Comment by Brooke – April 24, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen.
          I get pulling it because an episode was delayed/ cancelled by breaking news. Sure play it online then. Or better yet take a note from other stations who have decided to shuffle the airings so the “offending” episode takes place later in the season.
          But I totally agree with all of you. It is just silly in this case.

Comment by Me – April 24, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And it makes it difficult for us to follow what’s going on. How many people are actually going to watch the webisodes? I have internet access and I probably won’t. I didn’t even watch the video above. I don’t watch episodic television to watch a bunch of unconnected scenes. And after this week’s episode, when people start realizing they clearly missed an episode, how many viewers is that going to cost this show? This is just moronic. Put a damn disclaimer after every commercial break and let us adults decide whether we want to watch.

Comment by KevyB – April 25, 2013 01:25 AM PDT
          • I completely agree with Me, Brooke, Saint Alicia, and KevyB.

Comment by knowledge_is_food – April 28, 2013 02:16 PM PDT
  • Sigh…NBC.com doesnt air episodes outside the US

Comment by KitKat – April 24, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Outside the US, the episode is NOT going to be pulled, according to the article. You will see it on air. It is only in the US that it will not be aired…

Comment by Kathy Williamson – April 24, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Outside of the U.S. should be getting the 4th episode…so you shouldn’t worry about seeing these webisodes when you will be getting the entire episode on TV.

Comment by K – April 24, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Where?? In Australia Hannibal hasn’t even started yet

Comment by Odina Karimov – April 25, 2013 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t you just love Channel Seven’s promo department? Hannibal has been on in Australia for 2 weeks. Ep 3 is next Wednesday at 9.30pm.

Comment by Mel – April 26, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Haha! I had no idea! Have been watching it online as I wasn’t aware it was on in AU yet! Thanks!

Comment by Odina Karimov – May 3, 2013 05:04 AM PDT
  • I guess some of us will just have to be confused since we can’t access these webisodes

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 24, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we need the info in this episode for continuity, why doesn’t NBC have the snippets up now ??

Comment by ellen8 – April 24, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah since it airs tomorrow why are they putting it up in pieces? Makes no sense.

Comment by Sam – April 24, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the initial announcement regarding the episode being pulled they said it had nothing to do with the continuity of the series. Now they’re saying it establishes an integral charcter and relationship? Forget it. I’ll just rent the three disc complete series DVD set later this year.

Comment by Ettie – April 24, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Forget it. I’ll just rent the three disc complete series DVD set later this year…”
      -after NBC mucks up another show and cancels it!

Comment by dsm – April 24, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It had better be intact on the blu-ray/dvd. I thought maybe they were making it available online to watch, but now they’re chopping it up and only showing certain segments? The episode probably isn’t even THAT bad. It couldn’t be any more disturbing than the episode about the guy who buried people alive and kept them alive via feeding tubes and fungus grew all over them. I want to see this episode in its entirety.

Comment by Mikael – April 24, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what is Hannibal doing in Will’s house with a feathered hook? And where is Will? Why are his dogs so quiet? (Wish the dogs nextdoor to me were that well behaved.) And most curious of all, why doesn’t Will lock his front door?!

Comment by Shellsanne – April 24, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole thing seems more like a publicity stunt than sensitivity to me. The show is about horrible, gruesome death and evil. If that is offensive, maybe they shouldn’t make a show about the guy who eats people.
    People are murdered every day. It’s never a good time to have fun with murder. That’s why these shows are about the good guys fighting the evil of the world. It is meant to be inspiring, because we know that it’s out there every day. People are raped and murdered, and unless you’re a psycho yourself, you probably don’t find that entertaining. There is never a day when these shows won’t offend someone, or when a victim’s family might prefer not to see it. It’s the sad reality of life. But if that’s the case, those families will probably avoid the show about the guy who eats people.

In a couple of months, the latest Law and Order show will probably be ripping these stories from the headlines, and it will seem perfectly fine when they actually base a story on real events. But this is offensive because it might remind people of something that happened in a roundabout way? I just don’t buy it.

I’m a grownup. If I’m going to be offended by these episodes, I will stop watching. Until then, either air the show or pull it completely. Don’t play games with me. THAT is offensive.

Comment by Drew – April 24, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its a publicity stunt for a low rated TV show. NBC is scared to run a new episode of Hannibal vs a new episode of Elementary. NBC is pathetic!

Comment by Jacob – April 25, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh don’t be ridiculous. If that were the case NBC would just move it to a different time slot. I’d rather watch paint dry than Elementary. That show is boring has heck.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 25, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Elementary is CBS, not NBC.

Comment by Adrian – May 8, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried watching Hannibal I really did… I watched the first episode and thought “huh yeah… this show is alright” then the second episode I was so lost that I didn’t know what the hell was going on so I had to stop watching… it’s a pretty awful show!

Comment by Elyse – April 24, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your a tad bit of a dullard then I’d say, it unravels as it goes on, great show but I’d go on the record to say it takes some elevated thinking to understand.

Comment by Da – April 25, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so apparently Canada pulled it too… although I really don’t see the resemblance to the Boston bombings. If people are offended then don’t watch it! But yeah as long as they still air it in like Europe and elsewhere then I’ll just wait for it to go online of course.

Comment by Milena Kosić (@milena022) – April 24, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have just put the episode online (in it’s entirety) so we would have the OPTION to view it (or not). It is OK to offer the webisodes to people who don’t want to watch it, but still would have liked to have had the option to watch the entire ep.

Comment by kam – April 24, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When (if) Season 2 is written, I guess Hannibal & all the other killers won’t be as bad as they were meant to be portrayed. We’ll have another bland series that won’t last long.

Comment by Tonya – April 24, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is there any way to see the full ep? if so, when? :(

Comment by NOTINUS – April 24, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also wish they would just put the full episode online. I’m not willing to miss an episode, and I’d much rather watch it on Hulu or NBC.com than on a sketchy streaming site. But I’ll watch it either way–continuity is important.

Comment by Canary – April 24, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen. Continuity is the key. First they said that there’s isn’t a lot of character development in E4 and now they are saying that it involves important growth for the Hannibal/Abigail relationship/mentor-ship/tutelage. I will patiently wait for the episode to air in Europe and then watch it online. I will record E5 and E6 and only watch them after viewing E4 in it’s entirety

It’s like reading a great book and finding out that the author has pulled one whole chapter because he was uncomfortable.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – April 24, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please please NBC do not ruin another good, well written show. Hannibal, along with Bates Motel on A&E are my favorites right now.

Comment by Maria – April 24, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. Hannibal and Bates Motel (how good was the latest episode?)have become my new favorites. On the other hand I am disappointed in ‘The Following’. Got a bunch of episodes sitting on my system. Will watch them in one go after the busy TV season ends.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – April 24, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, just checked the NBCHannibal page on youtube. They have uploaded a total of six webisodes from E4 amounting to almost 23 -24 min of a typical 42 min episode. But unfortunately, they are not available for everyone.

Dammit NBC!! Get your act together.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – April 24, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC should put it On Demand. Those who don’t want to see it, don’t. I do. So NBC put Episode 4 On Demand please.

Comment by Tania – April 24, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by knowledge_is_food – April 28, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to the swedish channel that airs Hannibal its gonna be shown in Sweden on Monday. Episode description matches description of 4th episode. Bad choice not airing it in the US.

Comment by Lagando – April 24, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also note that I am not a lawyer and that this article will merely
    attempt to summarize existing cases. The policy in question
    would have been better termed as needing to surpass a very high level of scrutiny,
    as I do not believe there was any malice on
    2+2′s part for not allowing the post. There are in fact a number of very reputable poker rooms and networks out there, but not all allow U.

Comment by online poker cheating full tilt – April 24, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on favefilms.

Comment by dreamcatcheronline – April 24, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simple Solution…Move it to HBO, or Showtime. Issue solved. If you have been affected in anyway about any type of tragedy, just do not watch. Let the viewers watch what they look forward to watching. Hell, I had a Dr literally kill my finger in a surgery gone bad, amputated, and I could not watch last nights episode of Deadliest Catch with the entire finger crushing thing….so I covered my eyes lmao….Seriously, and Really? Just move the show to a network that will air , uncut, uncensored, good quality TV. Just let the damn show air? So ridiculous.

Comment by Nieces – April 24, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So NBC expects me to pursue this bridge ep myself online instead of figuring out how to fix their schedule to include it? I’m sorry NBC but I have better things to do. Best to just cancel this and cut your losses. This is ridiculous.

Comment by j – April 25, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, no one in Canada will watch it, because we’re blocked. Despite the show airing on CityTV.

Comment by G- – April 25, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesus, how cynical and perfidious… I cant remember that they pulled any shows when US bombed my country (or any other country). Anyhow, it’s ridiculous…

Comment by Jeka – April 26, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear NBC…if you’re going to make a show about a cannibal doctor, have the balls to air the episodes. Pulling any episode for any reason is absolute horse-puckey…viewers can make their OWN CHOICE as to whether or not they want to watch it!!! If you don’t have the balls to follow through…then give the idea to HBO…they’ll do it right! I’m baffled as to the connection between an episode of a TV show where children murder children and the real event of the Boston Marathon bombing. What the heck were the powers that be smoking when they made this decision?????

Comment by Canuckgurl – April 27, 2013 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for blocking Canada from watching the clip, NBC. We totally aren’t part of your viewer base and we certainly will never buy any of the DVDs… Ugh, bullshhh.

Comment by Mellie – April 27, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really! Pulled from viewing?!?!?!? This is going a bit overboard. Authorities still have the desire to think for adult citizens of the U.S.?!?!?!? To pull an episode from a series causes more devastation than actually airing it. Please let adult citizens make decisions upon themselves.
    P.S. My upmost condolences to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.

Comment by knowledge_is_food – April 28, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post