The Following Finale First Look: Joe Carroll's Final Chapter Begins to Fall Into Place

The Following‘s first season comes to its killer end next Monday (Fox, 9/8c) — and based on this all-new promo, the culmination of Joe Carroll’s murderous mission is well within sight.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Nashville, Vampire Diaries, Glee and More!

Perpetual victim Claire appears to be at the center of the series’ season ender, with her ex-hubby holding her hostage (and threatening to gouge her eyes out!) and her ex-lovah Ryan attempting to save the day. Parker, meanwhile, is still buried alive, but thankfully those wily acolytes left her with a cell phone — which she’s putting to good use.

Press PLAY below to watch the mayhem unfold, then hit the comments with your snappy judgements.

Comments (21)

• The video says with a creepy voice “This content is currently unavailable”. Somewhere else I can watch it?

Comment by June – April 23, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, i would really like to catch the season finalle, i missed it and need to watch it!

Comment by nelson medina – June 4, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t kill off Agent Parker. I really like her.

Comment by Christian – April 23, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please tell me they’ll get new writers for next season and maybe have them spend some time with real life agents or something.

Comment by Rachel – April 23, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. Well done. Hats off to Kevin Bacon and James purefoy and all the cast.

Can’t wait for more seasons to come.

Comment by lLcool – April 23, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leaving her with a cell phone is no where close to the dumbest thing they have done. I can’t believe how dumb the FBI is.

Joe fakes his death, so he can be born again next season, I bet you all. Boring.

Comment by David4 – April 23, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks like one of the Followers is watching her ‘grave’ with a sniper rifle. I think they intentionally left her with a phone.

Comment by AT – April 24, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great season, don’t change anything for next season. 24 had dumb ctu agents for years but did well with great action and suspense, i feel like its almost been completely reborn with this show. love it!

Comment by jonathon – April 23, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is going to be very difficult for them to do next season without it being basically a repeat of this season — unless they do something way outside the box. Like pick up several years later, and have Joe’s (now published) book be the key to the clues for the elaborate plan he is hatching. I just hope they will be very creative with it (like take lessons from Once Upon a Time with their totally game-changing transition from Season 1 to Season 2).

Comment by MaryAnn – April 23, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show but they need to put Joe Carroll to rest and move on to a new cult next season. Afraid another 15 episodes with this plot won ‘t hold up

Comment by kate – April 23, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of the worst writing I have seen in living memory. Each episode revolves around the same problem, FBI get close to catching someone so they run in, (in massive numbers) only to break up and work alone, refusing to work as a team as they have been trained to do (or use the numbers game to their advantage), which ALWAYS leads to one person being: a. Captured b. Killed c. Have some chase scene which inevitably leads to nothing.
    Wash
    Rinse
    Repeat
    For a show that started with so much promise I now ask myself why I bother watching it.

Comment by Jimmydestiny – April 23, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. I think this show started off pretty good but the “formula” became apparent pretty early on. With each episode I keep hoping that this will be one where something new happens. It’s hard to root for the “good guys” in this series because they do so many dumb things! My husband still likes the show so we will continue to watch for the time being. But it has come to the point where I can’t even get through an episode without making sarcastic comments about how dumb the writing is or about the asinine things the characters do. I don’t think it’s intended to be comedy.

Comment by Fen – April 24, 2013 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed 100%. It’s turned into a comedy for me. I enjoy feeling like Nostradamus as I can predict everything before it happens.

Comment by Matt – April 24, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I might be done watching The Following. Such a great concept, great performances, completely buried in ridiculous plot mechanics and incomplete character development before offing them. So utterly disappointed, which only grows week after week. I’ll stick with it through the finale, but I’ll likely not comeback for the sophomore season. And I do so love James Purefoy. :(

Comment by Beak – April 23, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about the people who don’t like it stop reading articles about it? I don’t read articles about shows I don’t like and complain about them. And how many unsolved crimes are there each year? Are those law enforcements agents just idiots too? I’m not saying some of the mistakes are hard to imagine but I would bet real law enforcement has made some dumb mistakes too.

Comment by cas – April 24, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It annoys me when people make comments like yours regarding “not commenting” if we don’t like the show. This is a forum which allows for free expression of one’s opinions. I come to sites like this hoping to share my opinion in an intelligent and logical way. It IS Television and I don’t expect it to perfectly emulate what goes on in the real world. BUT, I do believe it is within my rights to read articles about the shows (especially since I’m an eternal optimist and hoping beyond hope that she show will improve). Don’t get me wrong, there are things about this show that I do like (I think the actors are doing a superb job with what they are working with). That is fundamentally why I’m hanging around and still watching. I ultimately WANT the show to succeed to I’m hoping (perhaps naively) that the opinions of the public (positive or negative) may inspire some change.

Comment by Fen – April 24, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point, I just don’t even care anymore. This show reminds me of the way the Killing evolved. Great premise, great pilot, great acting … and then it just devolved into a ludicrous, gut-wrenching trainwreck. I’m watching because it’s on my DVR but I’m not enjoying it anymore. Don’t count me in for Season 2.

Comment by Sandra Oh (@TheRealSandraOh) – April 24, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the writers are making a big mistake in making practically anyone a member of Joe’s cult. It’s almost feeling like it is used as a plot contrivence to move story -and it’s getting a bit boring. I really don’t know how long this show can sustain a narrative like this. Unless Kevin Williamson has a different plan for season 2. I can see this series dropping it’s viewership drastically

Comment by Lary – April 24, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the whole point is for Ryan to be “reborn”. So next season, what if Joe becomes a kind of Hannibal Lector resource as a refreshed/reborn Ryan chases a brand new serial killer? Joe may have some sort of connection to the new one (but not one of his acolytes) and you can’t quite trust Joe to stay put. That might work for a second season.

Comment by Ray – April 25, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post