Exclusive Arrow First Look: 'Secret Weapon' Felicity Braves Her First (Red-Hot) Field Op

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

Though she near-fatally “choked” while assisting Oliver on a mission earlier this year, Arrow‘s IT girl Felicity Smoak (played by Emily Bett Rickards) will embark on her first field op in the May 1 episode “The Undertaking” — and TVLine has a first look.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Finale Preview for Arrow, Beauty and the Beast and Others

Andrew Kreisberg, executive producer for The CW’s hit action-drama (which resumes Season 1 this Wednesday at 8/7c), describes Felicity’s field work as “hilarious,” because “in a way she’s the audience. She’s not a soldier, she’s not a superhero, she’s just somebody who’s good with a computer and gets thrust into these things.”

RELATED | Arrow Season 1 Spoilers: Tommy Shares a Truth With Laurel

But why does Oliver enlist her for this particular Episode 21 assignment? Among other, spoilery reasons, “Because sometimes it takes a pretty, smart, brave girl in a hot red dress to get the job done,” Kreisberg says with a laugh, “and not a big, tough, strong guy in a green hood.”

Check out the exclusive photo, then read below for more:

The Undertaking

Of course, while Ms. Smoake may be a whiz with the keyboard and capable enough at reconnaissance, her verbal skills are prone to the occasional boner. (Those who follow EP Marc Guggenheim on Twitter already are privy to an epic– Freudian? — slip she makes during this episode.) In fact, closer to the May 15 finale, Kreisberg shares, “We have a line where she says, ‘Why does my brain think of the worst way to say things?!’”

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

As played by Rickards (who’ll be a series regular come Season 2), Felicity “is our secret weapon that we didn’t even know we had,” Kreisberg adds. “Emily and Felicity have filled every one of our expectations and beyond, for what this character could do for the show.”

Want more scoop on Arrow, or any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (59)

• L’ha ribloggato su Arrow "The Hood"e ha commentato:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

Comment by Cris – April 21, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!! yes. Felicity pretty. In a dress. Being hilarious.
    The only thing arrow needed to become more awesome!!

Comment by Josephine – April 21, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s my favorite part of the show!

Comment by katrina – April 21, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mine too. What is her real name?

Comment by Bob Arias – May 4, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, Emily is remarkable in this show. And yes, she adds dimension and colors to the cast that they need. And well, who doesn’t like a brilliant blonde that can geel with the best of them and occasionally look like that?

Comment by Tarc – April 21, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that freudian slip sounds like fun, the fact that she even comments on it means it must be her best one yet.

Comment by Alan – April 21, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily has been the best thing they could have added to the already wonderful regular cast of #ARROW-Respectfully, if you did not know her assets…new prescription glasses LOL-the young lady is AMAZING-perfect comedic timing-does drama that brings us to tears…I have been enthralled with her talent from day #1-WELCOME Emily-Continued success-WE LOVE YOU IN MIAMI!

Comment by Ali, Sr. – April 21, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s good but she’s not THAT good. Honestly, as much as I like the show, there’s not a single cast member that blows me away in these roles.

Comment by dude – April 21, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she’s chloe sullivan 2.0– the witty, loyal, cute blonde, computer geek sidekick lusting after the hero.

Comment by baglesvswaffles – April 21, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I never liked Chloe but I love Felicity, so..

Comment by brb123 – April 21, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • this is in my opinion, so…

Comment by baglesvswaffles – April 23, 2013 08:14 PM PDT
        • yeah i personally very much disliked chloe and i love felicity.

Comment by Jenny – April 21, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yep, Chloe annoyed me and I disliked her to no end and I love Felicity as well.

Comment by Shell – April 21, 2013 09:26 PM PDT
        • Pretty much. Could not stand Chloe and cannot stand this Felicity chick.

Comment by Paco – May 14, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not Manu Benett as Wade Wilson?

Comment by Shaun – April 21, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As Slade Wilson and he’s not going anywhere. He’s going to be a regular next season and will appear in all episodes leading to this year’s season finale.

Comment by brb123 – April 22, 2013 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My god Felicity looks so smoking hot in that red dress! Shes was already hot but she looks scorching here lol

Comment by Josh – April 21, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • took the words right out of my mouth while it was wide open looking at that photo.

Comment by TJCrinc – April 21, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oliver, abandon the idea of that drag of Laurel and choose Felicity!!

Comment by rty123 – April 21, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree

Comment by Andrea (@haveaHaven) – April 21, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Hopefully Oliver and Felicity will have a chance someday

Comment by Ash – April 21, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree.

Comment by mmac80 – April 21, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s actually quite good in the serious scenes as well. I agree with below.

Comment by LPala – April 21, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. That whole relationship is an anchor around Oliver’s neck. Those are the only bits on the show I find myself bored and getting up to make a snack or get a drink. Let Oliver deal with the past and give it closure while building up Oliver’s relationship with Felicity and let’s get down to business.

Comment by GildedRose – April 21, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow she looks GORGEOUS. And her lines are the BEST. I love those awkward moments.

BTW it’s Smoak*

Comment by Andrea (@haveaHaven) – April 21, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixede!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 21, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLY CRAP SHE IS GORGEOUS.

Comment by zeummag – April 21, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IF the Superman saga can be rewritten to put Superman with Wonder Woman, Arrow could be rewritten to put Oliver with Felicity.

Comment by MaryAnn – April 21, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Too true. Plus, the writers have already made it super clear (over and over again) they’re writing this show their own way, taking INSPIRATION from the comics, so… you never know what might happen.

Comment by GildedRose – April 21, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly think she looks better when she’s not done up.

Comment by dude – April 21, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • for me it’s a tie! she looks equally gorgeous both ways!

Comment by chestal – April 21, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a bit disappointed at first that there wasn’t a pic for Felicity when the Undertaking photos came out, but yay, you have one. She looks absolutely gorgeous. I wish we could skip 20 and onto 21, hee! I can’t wait for this.

Comment by mmac80 – April 21, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my gosh, how funny! I’ve been thinking & commenting the exact same thing lately. Skip 20 and get to 21. That’s the episode I’m super excited about.

Comment by GildedRose – April 21, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Felicity in action! and her epic-slip should be hilarious lmao

Comment by chestal – April 21, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felicity is the best thing that’s happened to this show. Adding her was genuis. She’s amazing and charming and hilarious. Love her!

Comment by mia – April 21, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have Emily dye her hair raven back to match her DC Comics namesake. And in a future ep (next season) have her get into a run-in with a Ron Raymond. (long time DC fans will know what I mean.)

Comment by Rob Horine – April 21, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her blond hair.

Comment by mia – April 21, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks gorgeous! Looking forward to the episode :D Felicity is great :)

Comment by Ash – April 21, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to this episode but more because I want to find out what the Undertaking are up to than about Felicity. It will be cool to see her going undercover though.

Comment by brb123 – April 21, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to watching the episode of Arrow.

Comment by AMCPress – April 21, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks better with her glasses on!

Comment by Chris – April 21, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I’m really looking forward to this episode!

Felicity is the character that made me a watcher of this show and haunter of spoilers. I not only love the character of Felicity lightening up the dour Arrow Cave, she provides an opportunity for some of the best lines of the show. Well done, Emily Bett Rickards. And well done Andrew Kreisberg for recognizing as asset and adding it to the show.

Comment by kath – April 21, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Felicity and Oliver together but also like how the character plays out on the show. I don’t know if it’s the writers or the actress but the character Felicity is so much better than Laurel. When Laurel is on screen I’m like hurry up and get on with the other characters!

Comment by K. – April 21, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love Felicity Smoak on Arrow. She’s that fantastic combination of smart, funny, sarcastic, and just plain like-able that you can’t help but root for her. I’ve liked Arrow since the beginning of the show but saw 0 possibilities for a lasting, long-term, slow-building romance for poor, wounded, stoic Oliver until Felicity arrived on the scene. Now I see it and I’m actually excited about it. Nothing rushed. Nothing forced. A nice relationship that evolves slowly over time, through situations they find themselves in, and through common experiences that form an unusual bond of understanding. That’s the relationship I want.

But now that Felicity is on the scene, there’s humor woven into each episode. There’s someone Oliver can open up to and trust who knows both sides of him, and there’s someone in his life encouraging him to be the hero that’s lurking inside him.

There’s a real click on the screen between the actor who plays Oliver and the actress playing Felicity. There’s an anticipation, fun, glow, and warmth to their interactions… even if they’re arguing. That’s what makes that dynamic so much fun. I love that her character, their relationship with each other, etc., is FUN. That’s why I want any show. Because it’s entertaining and fun. Arrow now is the complete package for me.

I can’t wait for Felicity to get into the field and out from behind the computer desk. It’s something desperately needed and I hope there’s a ton more opportunities for her and Oliver to be working like that all the way through Season 2. Hopefully Oliver will be given opportunities to begin training Felicity too, passing on the skills and knowledge he learned on the island in a full circle scenario. Doing that shirtless wouldn’t hurt either. *wink*

Comment by GildedRose – April 21, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great post.I agree with you and can’t wait for the episode to air.and for next season, with Emily being a regular.She’s truly amazing and I do lover Felicity with Oliver.

Comment by Jessie – April 21, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they wanted Ollie romances to be fun they would have made them that way. That’s what some of u don’t get or refuse to anyway. What u want is not what the show want, maybe u should be watching comedies or sitcoms instead of thinking u are some special snowflakes, Oliver is a conflicted man, usually with conflicted romances if u can’t handle it maybe u don’t want the 0.F romance. Yes felicity is lighter and I get it she brings the fun but that’s not a really good reason to want the romance, one she can still be fun with any love interest, two she can still be fun as a friend to Ollie, three who says the show want fun romance, they have a good reason in having dark romances, embrace that vision, or go somewhere else that suit yr light and fun needs

Comment by Seth – April 22, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felicity is a fun character , but I don’t want her and Oliver to be a couple

Comment by Fatgut – April 21, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The sensible one around here

Comment by fell – April 22, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She does look hot here but I love her in her glasses.

Comment by MB – April 21, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she related to Ashley Rickards of MTV’s Awkward ?

Comment by RichieS – April 22, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mean I like her but some of you people sound a little off the wall….

Comment by cas – April 22, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dislike so much shows always have these characters that take away the purpose and spotlight from other characters. What is even the point of others if she can do it all. I shouldn’t be giving this crap anymore of my time but I’m so weak when it comes to superheroes. This show is just overelying on this felicity character now, desperately to hold on to ratings despite that the only people they are really pleasing are the vocal internet fans. Not tackling the problems they should be fixing with all characters. this show is so weak and its runners just seem like they are looking for a quick buck, def not the new smalllville, sv had heart this doesn’t.

Comment by croz – April 22, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stopped watching Smallville at the end of the first season because it was so immature and such a highschool show and I was in highschool at that time lol. It was horrible. Arrow is much better and is a much more mature show. If Smallville is the definition of a show that had a heart, I’d rather Arrow to keep not having such heart.

Comment by brb123 – April 23, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. So tired of this girl and her fans.

Comment by Paco – May 14, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love all of this great show. And just love Felicity. Can’t wait for this episode!

Comment by luvmypup – April 22, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another “family jewels” slip? Loved Felicity from her first scene.Maybe a romance with Oliver wouldn’t be the best because its so fun when she was dogging the boys after their first dates last week (I know it was a rerun). It was just as funny the second time around!

Comment by Georgia Madman – April 22, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks like Scarlett Johansson in that picture..

Comment by georgiamadman – April 22, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felicity Smokin’ is more like it…Emily normally looks great but damn girl…

Comment by Jericho – April 24, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so tired of this character, this girl is a terrible actress and Felicity is just a copy of Chloe from Smallville. I don’t want this show to be ruined by the shippers.

Comment by Paco – May 14, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post