Glee Renewal Twist: Fox Orders Season 5 and 6

Get More: Renewals

Glee Renewed Season 5 and 6There’ll be no raining on Rachel Berry’s parade, not for another two years anyway.

In a surprise twist, Fox has renewed Glee for not one but two more seasons.

RELATED | Glee Shocker: Someone’s About to Propose!

The pickup ensures that the musical-comedy will be around through Season 6.

In a statement accompanying the announcement, Fox president Kevin Reilly credited exec producers Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, Ian Brennan, Dante DiLoreto “and the entire Glee team” for delivering “a series that not only delights and surprises fans, but also inspires them to talk about, share, debate and engage with the show… I’m absolutely thrilled to have them on board for another two seasons.”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s surprising development.

Thoughts? Relieved you won’t have to endure any bubble anxiety next year at this time? Does Glee have enough life in it to carry it through two more seasons? Hit the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (282)

• Okay everyone- if you don’t blindly love every storyline and character Glee has, then you MUST leave. No one is allowed to post intelligent comments about how the show could be better or give their opinion. Opinions don’t matter. If you disgree with something you are just a hater or a whiner. How dare you read something about a show when you aren’t completely satisfied with it. Ryan Murphy can do whatever he wants and we will like and support him no matter what. That sounds perfect doesn’t it?

Comment by Jenna – April 20, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 10-4! Glad you see it our way!

Comment by whoop for glee!! – April 20, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol, LOVE the sarcasm and it’s so true.

Comment by Ross – April 20, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch next season start going downward on ratings making like 4/3 million and then FOX will be sorry for renewing ahead of time.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – April 20, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they will regret this decision considering how much the ratings have nose-dived this season. If they are smart, they will move it back to Tuesdays. Glee can’t compete with Grey’s Anatomy and they do share an audience.

Comment by Babygate – April 20, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think next season will be really good! Ryan Murphy said that he’s doing something completely different than he’s ever done next year and he will be focusing on one specific story line for most of next season. I think that story line will be Rachel’s transfer into broadway considering she got a callback for fanny Brice in funny girl on Thursday night’s episode. Maybe this means they will move the entire show to NYC.

Comment by Gage – April 20, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps, but since the renewal news maybe he keeps doing storylines between Ohio and NY and We could see the 2nd generation of gleeks graduating from Lima High. But Glee in NY only could be another SMASH. Don’t get me wrong, I love both shows.
      I want to see April Rhodes again next season.

Comment by Fernanda – April 20, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would honestly rather see the new class of Glee mature like the last class. I want to see where life takes them in the end. It’s almost time for Brittany, Sam, Tina, and Artie to graduate, why not give them the same treatment as the others the opportunity to come back and mentor a NEXT group. I haven’t found this show disinteresting as of yet.

Comment by Emma – April 30, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw this on facebook and laughed. What a joke. The only thing keeping this show alive is the revenue from the music. Without that, it would be canceled easily

Comment by brendan – April 21, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • faut s’arrêter glee c’est la meilleure série du monde c’est trop coool qu’ils l’ai renouvelé

Comment by glee'k 4ever – April 23, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So cooool!

Comment by glee'k 4ever – April 23, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In other news… Oxygen has not made a decision on the Glee Project. As of April 8th, no decision was made. Now that this decision was made, Oxygen will have to make up its mind soon as production begins in May if they do it.

Comment by AcuraT – April 24, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am and forever will be a die-hard Gleek. I like what they’re doing with the new cast. Rachel has graduated and now it’s time for Marley to shine. I just pray that they don’t pull the Degrassi move, meaning they don’t start to have nonsense plots rotating weekly fighting to keep the flame going. When the show dies, let it die a peaceful death and go out with a bang.

Comment by Emma – April 30, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • puckleberry

Comment by Becca – May 4, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow! will you all stop complaining! and the person that said naya and lea will be the only two who will do well out of glee, and saying amber and dianna will do nothing! thats so wrong by the way. amber has got a recording contract (which she deserves). nobody else has one, only her. lea will do well in this and for a few years after, but not forever (same with naya). amber will be around for ages selling records, albums and tours. dianna is too busy with other projects in order to be apart of this current season. so your statement is wrong! #gleek4life #wewantmercedesinseason5

Comment by sean cowman – May 6, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is awesome and they should do 12 seasons from Chloe Davies

Comment by Chloe – May 9, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am soooo glad glee is coming back.. I am HOOKED! Love it! Last summer I rented the DVDs for the whole first 3 seasons and am glad I can continue to see it!

Comment by Jenelle Arellanes – May 9, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god, why?! Fox has no reason to keep Glee going. At all. Just please let it die.

Comment by Zoe – May 9, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe there ending it. I love every single season. Chris colfer and Darren criss are my idols. I adore them and I hope they get engaged in season 5. That will be awesome! I dont want this show to end. But if it does I still get to watch it. Thanks to Netflix!

Comment by gleefanatic – May 11, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at the end of the day its a show about music , i dont care what characters are in it or what story lines are going on i just like listening to the songs and i feel the program is no different than when it started. I just dont see why people complain at everything i mean its not just glee its like every show on tv

Comment by liam – May 15, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay…I am a glee fan all they way and not just cause I am a music major with big dreams but because when I was absolutely in my worst moments this show gave me something to hold on to and believe in…I realize that it’s a show that someone wrote to make money…but it gives me and people like me the strength and the courage to jump off the cliff into the sea of hopes and dreams that otherwise would just die…this show is like an epic viewing of my life and the lives of so many other people…it truly tries to capture real life in a funny and usually helpful way…I’ve done so much more than I ever dreamed I would just by watching and identifying with this show…now in a year or so ill be releasing my album when before this show I’d still be just a server in a mom and pop restaurant singing to the grass outside on my lunch break…so for those of you who don’t like the show…cool great that’s whatever but don’t be rude and hateful cause those of us who do like it are entitled to our opinion just as you are

Comment by Lilly – May 16, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand how this keeps getting new seasons and Smash got cancelled.

Comment by Danny – May 18, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch this show and I love it I’m so glad we get two more seasons

Comment by shay – May 21, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on people ! Have faith a little. I love this show since its beginning, every single part of it, even season 4. And yes I loved the former seasons a little more, and yes I love the original cast members a little more, but it doesn’t mean you have to hate anything new they’re trying to add. When people just decide they will hate something without actually waiting to see if it’s gonna be ok or not, it really upsets me.

Please wait until you see seasons 5 and 6 before hating them. So yeah they messed up a little this season, but they’re trying to fix it, they’re not blind or deaf, they realize how much they disappointed a lot of us. They’re trying to fix their mistakes, and who knows ? Maybe the next seasons will become your favorite and season 4 will remain the worst ? It’s not because it has been weaker this year that it is gonna die. Give them a second chance.

With the graduation of the original characters, it has been a little hard to actually understand what people wanted, just them, or stay in McKinley, or everyone in NY, or add new kids…? So they tried a lot of stuff this season and I believe they learned from their mistakes and will do their best to bring back the magic and satisfy everyone :) The fact that they split the year in two seasons was a really smart move, now we can see more of every character, in different places, and I believe the storylines will get deeper again. Please watch season 5 before deciding it’s gonna suck. Don’t stop believing :)

Comment by Santianne – May 24, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gleeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
    glee is my guilty pleasure
    I love it sooo much
    I’m always excited to come home and watch it and some times I watch the reruns

Comment by tasha – June 2, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna get mad and scream a lot. This show was like my life. I always try to be good and not to get grounded for I can watch this show. You person please keep it going and think of all the viewers that will be mad at you.

Comment by ky – June 3, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the glee. And so ready for the other two season to come.

Comment by Jordan Ashley Hulett – June 8, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! The show is fantastic and obviously that’s why it was renewed for 2 more seasons. Not many shows get that kind of deal. If FOX didn’t believe in it, they would say so. Haters gonna hate!

Comment by Jamie04 – June 23, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^ I love glee and its twistt but it couldve ben better written i agree but glee has ben predictable lately
    Welp my opinion ❌⭕❌⭕💋

Comment by Jackie – June 13, 2013 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yieblzhknmaf

Comment by bnfpftsycftu – June 16, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sybsqsoxfciw

Comment by qsnayyqkgqdm – June 16, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i luv glee…but i don’t wan’t to see the characters from season4…but i really want more of klaine, and santana and finchel….plz come up wid sum interesting episodes….

Comment by payal – June 26, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whats is going to happen now finn is sadly dead. will it be cancelled? plz tell me all u know

Comment by lauren – July 14, 2013 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. He was one of the super main characters…

Comment by Kim – July 14, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not going to get canceled. They will just have to explain it on the show that he saidly died from a car crash or something.

However his body isn’t even cold yet and we are worrying about the show? Let his friends and loved ones grieve.

Comment by Midori – July 14, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn is dead. Cancel the show.

Comment by Bob – July 14, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, im THRILLED the shows on still! i would go nuts without glee!!! Although, it will NEVER be the same without Finn, i repeat NEVER!!! but i still would go nuts without Glee, and i just wanted rachel and finn to get back together soo badly!! i wish they got back together before it happend…..

Comment by Amber – July 16, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will there still be Glee even though Cory Monteith died ? :-(

Comment by Trisha – July 25, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Glee♥.. I want to be part of the glee cast,but i don’t know how… I can Sing,dance and i love acting.. I hope somebody help me.. Thanks.. GleekForever♥

Comment by Luciana Gonzalez – October 28, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam needs a haircut pronto!!!!! I hate it……

Comment by Ankita – November 11, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GLEE SHOULD NEVER END IT CHANGED MY VIEWS ON LIFE AND IT SHOWED ME THE THINGS THAT I LIVE IN LIFE

Comment by Becca – March 11, 2014 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive always wanted to be an actor on glee and now its goinf to end ill never have the chance?! Thats not fair and glee is a part of me i feel a strong connection to the show

Comment by Becca – March 11, 2014 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post