Glee Renewal Twist: Fox Orders Season 5 and 6

Get More: Renewals

Glee Renewed Season 5 and 6There’ll be no raining on Rachel Berry’s parade, not for another two years anyway.

In a surprise twist, Fox has renewed Glee for not one but two more seasons.

RELATED | Glee Shocker: Someone’s About to Propose!

The pickup ensures that the musical-comedy will be around through Season 6.

In a statement accompanying the announcement, Fox president Kevin Reilly credited exec producers Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, Ian Brennan, Dante DiLoreto “and the entire Glee team” for delivering “a series that not only delights and surprises fans, but also inspires them to talk about, share, debate and engage with the show… I’m absolutely thrilled to have them on board for another two seasons.”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s surprising development.

Thoughts? Relieved you won’t have to endure any bubble anxiety next year at this time? Does Glee have enough life in it to carry it through two more seasons? Hit the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (282)

• Can’t wait to see the all new lows Glee will reach over the next two seasons!! Seasons 3 and 4 were absymal but I’m sure Glee will find a way to out-suck itself. It’s the only thing it does consistently.

Comment by Nina – April 19, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually really liked season 3a…

Comment by kavyn – April 19, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why would you waste your time watching? Go do something with your life to get yourself out of your negative world already.

Comment by Krista – April 19, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shut up and go get some taste.

Comment by Nina – April 20, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way they can generate enough material for two more seasons, and if they do, I agree, it ends. This is weird.

Comment by Erin – April 19, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This blows. I have no interest in the newcomers that they picked up from the Glee Project (although they are very talented.) Marley, Ryder, Jake, and Kitty are obviously some cheap knockoffs of Rachel, Finn, Puck, and Quinn from season 1. There are a lot of parallels here from the first season and I think it’s boring. They need to either kill Glee and do a full spin-off in New York, or make them two different shows altogether. The main characters from season 1 are the reason I fell in love with this show, and the new characters are just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that the new characters are mostly sophomores also blows because the next two seasons after this are going to show them graduating as well. Boring, boring. I already saw the struggle with the first group of graduates; I don’t want to see it again with this batch when they aren’t as entertaining.

Comment by Dani – April 19, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is a cash cow, not just in the states, but internationally. Of course they would renew it for a couple of years. What will be interesting to see is how Ryan Murphy is going to handle next season. He has hinted that he was going to only focus on one major storyline from either NYC or Lima for part of the year. My guess is that he will start with NYC characters and have a storyline that covers the summer months and then transition and refocus back on high school which is the root and origin of the show for the remainder. They are trying to tell too many stories right now and too many things are getting lost trying to cover all that ground and you can’t keep that pace up without losing a lot. Still a fan, in spite of how messy it all is.

Comment by Ronnie – April 19, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure the term ‘cash-cow’ applies any more. They are not doing any more concerts, i-tunes sales are not what they used to be and the ratings are so bad that it is unlikely they will be able to command the same ad rates they have in the past.

Comment by Babygate – April 20, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox you are drunk or desperate. Two more season with the same mess of a writing staff? This entire season has been nothing but recycled story lines and new characters with no spark. Jesus. Good luck with this bc I am done.

Comment by Kat – April 19, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am ecstatic! IF they put the VETS in the limelight again, instead of the newbies. I spent most of this season (a) wondering what OOC actions were going to happen and (b) waiting to see MY characters: Kurt, Rachel, Finn, Santana, Mercedes and Mike (and Quinn) during the oh-too-few times I did get to see them. And hear them in the oh-too-few songs they had.

The veterans’ voices and styles were singular…each unique, yet blending to make a greater whole. Each one had their own style and sound. I can barely tell the newbies apart, except for WUnique, who has engaged me with his/her Mercedes-like sass and flair. Kitty has finally become other than pure evil. But every one of them blends into a mass of gray. I mean no intentional disrespect; they are talented and seem quite nice. But the CHARACTERS are pablum.

Kurt, for example, had me from the first wide-eyed “help me” stare at the dumpster; Rachel from the stomp down the hall and her ever-maniacal “me” frenzy. Artie was just cool (love his voice after Chris’ and Darren’s for the guys, along with Cory). Mercedes hits some serious chops and Quinn had her 60s girl groups styling w Santana able to play there or spice it up with sex on a stick. Poor Tina is the only vet who was allowed to actually catch on fire vocally this year – despite the OOC mess, I’m glad she finally got some decent action. Kurt’s few songs were great, but I missed his voice accenting the ensemble songs so very much; his voice always added highlights to the mid and lower registered performers; together, they were amazing.

We’ll see what happens; I am glad to have the opportunity to see, but hope Glee will NOT be focusing on the Lima action; I was much more engaged by the potential for story / character development for my favorites in NYC.

Comment by Steph – April 19, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • kevin is a better singer than chris and darren

Comment by kate – April 19, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t say any of these guys are better. They all are pretty damn talented

Comment by Liz – April 21, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly I felt like they were trying to create a spinoff of glee. Too much time spent with the new cast. I think the show has a chance if they focus on the storylines of the original kids. I DVR the show and fast forward through most of the show except when the original characters from seasons 1-3. There have been a few episodes that have been worth watching but something is missing. I hope they regroup, rethink, rewind and tap back into the energy of season 1-3. I would love to see David k. Return. This show covered so many wonderful topics that needed to be addressed while entertaining us with the wonderful voices and talent. I know that the originals want to be careful to not be type cast but I don’t believe they have to worry about that. Most if them are multi- talented. My god look at chris. He is an amazing talent as are others.

Comment by Liz – April 21, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely was not expecting this at all, but still happy nonetheless!

Comment by A – April 19, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the show because I thought season 1 was unbearable so that’s not a problem. But now we’ll have two more years of Glee wasting valuable column inches on TV Line — column inches that could go to a far more deserving show. If TV Line decides to ignore Glee completely for the next two years then it could go on forever and I wouldn’t care.

Comment by Georgia Madman – April 19, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really am happy to hear about this. I just hope that the writing will improve over Season Four >_> But I’m optimistic.

Comment by Overcriss – April 19, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of these comments are hate. Luckily it wasn’t based on your opinions but on actual ratings. I have a love hate relationship with this show. I blog about it, watch religiously and even make my family do glee rewatch with me. Its their lack of continuity and how they drag certain story lines and completely disregard others that’s bad, but the actors are great, the music is always great, the characters are relatable to so many viewers. Its a good show. It has so much potential to be even better if they take a lil more risk on certain characters. But again this is just my opinion and it has nothing to do with FOX’s decision! I’m happy its continuing!

Comment by Monica – April 19, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you! I blog about the show. I do a glee-cap for work. I have a love-hate relationship with the show.

I also totally think that they should take a risk with other characters. But yeah totally happy that we get two more years of the show. Might as well just enjoy it rather than get pissed about it.

Comment by therewatchproject – April 19, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. This really could have been the last season and I wouldn’t have missed it. I thought maybe ONE more season would be okay. But two?? I don’t understand how they will keep the McKinley part of the show relevant, with the rest of the original cast graduating this year. I can’t bring myself to care too much about the newbies of this year, and they’ve been shoving them down our throats. Is Season 6 gonna be an entirely new show?

Comment by Lena – April 19, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good lord, the torture continues. It’s a shame that not many people are watching Smash. Now here’s a series with fantastic talent not to mention terrific ORIGINAL songs. It saddens me.

Comment by Tania – April 19, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It suffers from one thing Glee does: inconsistent writing. It also suffers from one thing Glee does not: boring characters.

I watched all of last season and was not impressed by anything other than the premiere and the finale. The finale got to me enough to watch the first one or two of this season. Just didn’t work… which is why it has been sent to the Saturday night death slot.

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – April 19, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. If one poorly written musical was going to inexplicably score the numbers to stay on the air for years, I wish it would be Smash. The characters are less annoying and the music is much more interesting. I’ve pretty much quit Glee but I could keep watching Smash :(

Comment by Dana – April 19, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO HAPPY!!!!

Comment by nel – April 19, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bandwagon post: Zomg you guys, I totally used to love this and now I hate it but I keep reading articles on it and keep posting about it and think it’s terrible and have bad grammer and think its week and zomg it should have been cancelled.

There. All you haters can go away. I made your point for you, and now you can leave the forum to the rest of us who enjoy the cheesy musical show with lovable annoying characters and are tired of you b*tching about EVERY LITTLE THING. YOU are the reason the show isn’t fun anymore for you guys. Because YOU can’t just accept it for what it is and always has been AND you also can’t move on once you’ve started hating it.

Ugh.

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – April 19, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only good thing about this news is to see how much worse Ryan Murphy can make this. Last nights episode with Rachel imagining herself singing with the original cast members (sans Puck & the Cheerios) made me remember how much fun the show was to watch the first year and a half. They should have made each of the originals sophomores the first year and had each school year be 2 seasons, then we would have had the original cast for all 6 seasons. I don’t think that most viewers care about Marley, Jake, etc.

Comment by Coolio Rhys-Jackson – April 19, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me this sounds like:

A) Final two seasons, and

B) The show will probably focus on the Lima kids (aka no more Kurt, Rachel, Santana, or many of the original cast). Finn will probably (unfortunately…) stick around though.

Comment by kavyn – April 19, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finn is the only good thing about Glee anymore.

Comment by Tess – April 20, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a matter of opinion…

Comment by kavyn – April 20, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I hate this news, I’m hoping this means they’ll utilize Kevin McHale’s talent more. They claimed he was the heart of the glee club, yet have barely featured him in four seasons.

Comment by Mich – April 19, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope the writers get their heads out of their butts and actually listen to the fans and not abuse them. NO MORE NEW CHARCTERS!!! Glee was a hit because of meaningful storylines and a magical cast. If I see the originals (Lea, Chris, Naya, Heather, Darren, Cory etc) start to fade out and be replaced, I will not be tuning in anymore.

Comment by Chris – April 19, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has already started.

Comment by Nina – April 19, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • in what universe is darren an original? lmao

Comment by kate – April 19, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super excited that Glee was renewed!!! I hope the next few seasons focus on the NYC gang a little bit more than the Lima one though.

Comment by Rebecca – April 19, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is for the truly Gleeks fans. I’m so happy about the renewal news. I want to see tributes for Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, Aerosmith, A country music episode (take that Nashville), Madonna 2.0, U2, Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, no more Britney 3.0 please!!
    Musicals Tributes: The Book of Mormon, Spring Awakening (of course a censored version), Cats, Mamma Mia, Rent, La Cage aux Folles, Bily Elliott, Cabaret, WICKED PLEASE!!!!
    Soundtracks or Album Tributes: John Hugh movies musical tribute, Xanadu, A Rush of Blood to the Head (by Coldplay), Californication (by Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Comment by Fernanda – April 19, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited! I started watchin Glee from the beginning, and, though I have a better connection with the original characters (because we’re the same age), I will watch it for as long as it is on.

Comment by j – April 19, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s still a fun show and still one of the most truly original shows on TV. Count on me and my family as loyal viewers.

Comment by Sandra Oh (@TheRealSandraOh) – April 19, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i almost gave up during season 3. had a very fleeting sense of hope at the beginning of season 4, but that’s gone. two more seasons just seems to cruel to those of us that know there’s no reason to still watch but are just bad at TV breakups

Comment by markgraywriting – April 19, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Para – April 19, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only this meant we’d get more Warblers. I miss Sebastian and Hunter.

Comment by Sprink – April 19, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee has gone downhill but it can be fixed. For starters, make the focus NYC and the college kids. We need to see a lot less McKinley – I’d be happy if McKinley went away completely because the new kids aren’t very good. Give us more Finchel, Rachel on Broadway, Kurt, Santana, Puck! That is the only way to save the show!

Comment by Caro – April 19, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I certainly won’t be watching the next 2 seasons. This season has been crap. I’ve endured it because I was a loyal gleek, but this show has really gone into the gutter. Pretty much every character that I used to love has been ruined, the new characters are cute but aren’t really holding my interest, and the writing this season has been atrocious. I’m surprised I’ve made it as far into the current season as I have to be honest.

Comment by Harry – April 19, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank the Lord – and thank YOU. One less whiner to listen to!

Comment by tbrundage – April 19, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I had their jobs. Full time pay for part time work! They only 3 people that have been in every episode this season is Darren Criss, Chord Overstreet, & Kevin Mchale, and RIB cant even give them decent storylines. What happened with the Glee being the “underdog”? Seems like all the characters get what they want after whining. I am very disappointed in this season and there was so much potential. I will continue to watch, but its quickly becoming something I catch up on TIVO.

Comment by Dee – April 19, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m cautiously happy for the news. I think Glee can be revived and be good again IF they dump McKinley (and please, dump Blaine! So over Blee!) and go to an all NY focus with Kurt, Rachel, and Santana, bring back Adam full-time, and add some originals to NY like Finn, or Artie, or Tina, and some interesting recurring characters like Sebastian as support. And IF they focus on characters and their organic stories, and not forced, supposed “endgame” romances or ‘shocking!’ storylines.

No need to constantly one-up being ‘shocking’ or ‘flashy’ or ‘edgy’, which is just parlor-tricks to compensate for lack of substance. It’s good and interesting stories and characters that draw and keep an audience, not gimmicks.

Comment by Just Say No to Hairgel – April 19, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I am surprised… Don’t watch the show anymore, but hey, good for them! Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – April 19, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hahahahahahaha this makes me giggle! yay Glee!

Comment by Elyse – April 19, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate this show. I hope it loses another half of its viewership next year.

Comment by andjuliesaid – April 19, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Great news! RIB-plz have Sam flunk his senior year and return next year. Plz!

Comment by Libby – April 19, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam shouldn’t flunk because he’s not stupid. He struggles but he’s not stupid enough to flunk a whole year and keeping him back would be the worst decision on Glee.

Comment by Sophie – April 19, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam will return next year because the senior year is not over yet. After that, who knows? Although I can see he’s probably sticking with Blaine after graduation like Puck and Finn.

Comment by rose – April 19, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a surprise…unless you remember that they did the same thing for seasons 2 and 3.

Comment by SMH – April 19, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH best news EVER 2 more years of klaine :) i LOVE fox

Comment by Peter W – April 19, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m glad we got that outta the way! Now lets get down to business. Gimme GLEE PROJECT III, RIB!!!!!

Comment by karenb – April 19, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. It’s THAT SIMPLE people. I am so tired of all these negative comments and complaints. Geez.

Comment by Scott – April 19, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best decision I heard today!!:D

Comment by lizzieskorteverhalen – April 19, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee has the potential for these season, they just need to move away from the high school and to NY and LA with the original cast.

But no matter what I’ll continue to keep watching because glee is like my child; as much as it annoyed me, I can’t help but love it.

Comment by Sophie – April 19, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A waste of a timeslot on Fox.

Comment by David4 – April 19, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Already past it’s sell by date but i’ll shut up if they put Sue Sylvester out to pasture for good. the novelty has definitely worn off.

Comment by RD – April 19, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they renewed Glee for 5th season because they’re gonna drag the year to season 5. But I’m not really sure what they’re gonna do with season 6. Hmm… I love the Lima storyline, I think they’re more cohesive than the original ND and less hateful, maybe because there’s an obvious gap between the seniors and the juniors. I just love when everyone’s having fun and being silly teenagers.

Also loving the story of Rachel finding herself in the big city. Kurt and Santana are merely supporting characters for her story I guess.

Comment by Nina – April 19, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One question for Fox – why? Never understood the appeal of the show, never will.

Comment by kirads09 – April 19, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get it: this season hasn’t been what everyone expected, but seriously? You hate it but can’t stop watching? It’s awful and it should be cancelled but here you are commenting? If you, whomever “you” are, don’t like it and hate it, then stop watching and maybe you’ll get your wish: ratings will drop and it will be canceled.
    I wasn’t too thrilled with the new New Directions, and I’ve been missing the likes of Mercedes, Mike and Finn. But the newbies have grown up on me and I find myself invested in their stories. Long time ago I made myself to the idea that Glee had a different logic than the real world and learnt to live with the inconsistencies. The only character I would love to see leave is Will. I think he’s overstayed.

Comment by Tinemi – April 19, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters gonna hate. If u hate this show dont watch simple as that. Iove Glee its my favorite show and I was not expecting it to be renewed for 2 morr seasons but that makes me so freaking happy. Yes this season hasnt been the best but im still enjoying it and will watch this show to the very end and I really honestly dont anything negative about this show

Comment by Carlos Alvarez – April 19, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NYADA spinoff!!!!

Comment by Jaycee – April 19, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised by this, but I seriously want to know what these seasons are going to look like. They seem to be suspiciously tying up a lot of the Ohio storylines. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the show set entirely in NYC, with Blaine reuniting with Kurt, Brittany reuniting with Santana and Finn reuniting with Rachel… or at least all three going to school in NYC – Blaine to NYADA, Brittany to Columbia and Finn to NY Teaching University – which sets up endless romantic entanglements. Add in a couple others making it to NYADA and we have Glee: The Fame Years.

Comment by KevyB – April 19, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray!! So excited

Comment by J – April 20, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean The Glee Project will be on Bravo this summer?

Comment by Pavanne – April 20, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well 2 years would be about the time frame (in real life anyway) for Lea to be cast in Funny Girl, go into rehearsal, then do the national out of town try-out and finally open on Broadway. I kinda see that as the natural end to the show.

Comment by qj201 – April 20, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post