Doctor Who Season Finale to Reveal [Spoiler]

Doctor Who Season 7 Finale SpoilersAs Doctor Who barrels toward its 50th anniversary in November, BBC America previously teased, “the Doctor’s oldest secret threatens to be revealed.”

And now we have a name for that secret. Or, we will get one.

RELATED | Doctor Who: David Tennant, Billie Piper On Board for 50th Anniversary Special

Per a new poster just revealed for the series, “The Name of the Doctor” is the subject of the Season 7 finale, which also brings back Alex Kingston as River Song.

“Stand by for something that you might always have believed to be impossible…,” BBC America said in releasing the poster/finale title.

Season 7 continues this Saturday with Episode 10, “Hide,” in which the Doctor joins a ghost hunt when something terrifying is found hiding in Caliburn House.

RELATED | Is Doctor Who‘s New Companion Too Cute for Words? And More TV Qs!

Do you think the Time Lord’s proper moniker will in fact at long last be revealed — including to us, the audience versus, say, whispered in Clara’s pretty ear? If so, under what circumstances? And is the smart money on it being John a la Sex and the City‘s Mr. Big?

1. MJ says:

i’m kinda leaning towards, instead of them telling us his real name, they’re going to tell us why he calls himself the doctor.

2. Sarah says:

“On the Fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked — a question that must never be answered. The first question, the question that must never be answered, hidden in plain sight, the question that [The Doctor has] been running from all [his] life. Doctor who?”

3. Roa says:

I know people are saying that they would prefer for River to be the only one who knows the Doctor’s name, and that it wouldn’t make sense for Clara to know because she’s only a companion, but let’s not forget that we still don’t know who Clara is. If it turns out that she is someone who is already well known to the Doctor, or to the Timelords, or is in someway even more integrated into the Doctor’s storyline than River, then it might make perfect sense for her to know.

I agree that if she’s just a companion and if her secret has nothing to do with the Doctor at all (highly unlikely), then it might be odd for her to know, but I feel like we should reserve judgement on how much she should know and how close to the Doctor she should be until we find out who she is.

And on the love thing, I don’t think the Doctor ever has been or ever will be a one woman kind of person. The nature of the show is change – changing companions, changing Doctors, even a changing Tardis (at least the interior). That also means changing love interests. Rose is not the Doctor’s one true love, nor is River, nor is Clara (presuming there’s anything romantic going on there at all).

All that being said, I can’t imagine the writers changing Who too much, no matter what they tease. As far as I know, both Smith and Coleman are returning for an eighth season, so the finale/50th anniversary special can’t be anything too difficult to recover from.

4. CJ says:

I think his name is pi! infinity = 8. Get it? “Sweetie” like a desert =pie.

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679
    8214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196
    4428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273
    724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609…

• Maria says:

Well those are the first words ever written. When the Doctor takes Amy back and “Hello Sweetie” is written on the rock face.

5. Tate says:

Maybe River already knows the doctors name you know how she was married how the doctor told her he was in teselecta he may of told her his name too

6. Ciara says:

River knows his name because she had to get the 10th doctor to trust her while in the library. The 11th doctor must’ve explained that in order for his predecessor to trust her was if she knew his name and has his screwdriver.
    That said, if River did not die in the library, she will know the Doctor’s name anyway.
    And we will NOT come to know his name. Moffat can’t reveal his name then the show’s name will be changed to ‘Doctor Fruitloop’ if Fruitloop was his name.

7. Greetings from California! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not
    even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, amazing blog!

8. the doctor says:

I bet his name is Jahova

9. Lee says:

As we have learned…his name is CLEARLY…Please…;)

10. Jim Knotts says:

Well, now that we know weekday we know, it (thankfully) isn’t his name. Sometimes I think we know too much. Great to see River actually is his wife and that the, “live” River is likely still saved in the Library, where the Dr. “saved” her. Too many have assumed the River we see is,”current.” Admittedly, John Here’s intro seems to imply he is the last regeneration & exists within the tomb (w/ many unanswered questions. It was hard to grasp Clara’s existence all the way back to even include ditrecting Dr #1’s choice of “defective” Tardii. And too see here interacting with all 10 prior Doctors was hard to grasp. Yet with her rescue, the future has no clear path. I’ve been watching what little an American could watch (even Peter Cushing’s lone…& never mentioned role) for 50 years, I still don’t understand all I know. But, that alone will cause me to continue tho watch. Like her or not, Clara (at least retroactively) is now at the heart of the Dr’s story, unseen though she was. A bit sloppy? Yes. But no more than the longstanding “rule” that Time Lords have only 10 lives/ regenerations. We must give up some things so that we may still enjoy the ongoing story. I’m more interested in how River leaves the library and syncing their timelines. Until then, every physical manifestation of River is before the library in her timeline, even if meets a Dr. Which Dr does she meet for the first time? Likely not Smith and obviously not Tennant. Clara’s enigma has been explained. But River, born to Amy after the library is so far, inexplicable.