American Idol Top 5 Results Recap: Save It Isn't So? [Updated]

American Idol Season 12 Top 5 ResultsAmerican Idol‘s math has always been fairly simple: He (or she) with the most viewer votes wins. The one with the lowest weekly tally meets a fate uglier than a Lazaro Arbos key change. And the ratio of judges’ feedback to actual contestant performances is roughly 237 to 1.

But in Season 12, one set of numbers simply hasn’t made sense: With a finale set for May 16 and a mere 10 finalists in the mix, only a Judges’ Save or a non-elimination week — without a subsequent double exit — would stop the season from ending prematurely. And you know Uncle Nigel and his Fox Overlords aren’t about to fill that dead Sweeps airtime with a one-time-only repeat of The Mob Doctor.

RELATED VIDEO | Idol‘s Lazaro Arbos on Sassing the Judges, Smuggled Whitney CDs, and ‘Courage’ Critiques! Plus: ‘No Way 5 Guys Could’ve Left in a Row’

That kernel of information — plus word from Idol’s publicity team that the Save was still in effect (despite the fact that in prior years, it expired prior to Top 5 night) — took some of the suspense out of the proceedings. I mean, Nicki, Randy, Mariah and Keith aren’t going to step in and veto the will of the voting public when there’s only four or three singers left standing, right?

After an astonishingly emotional return to the stage from Season 3 champ Fantasia (ooh wee, “Lose to Win” is a good’un) and the surgical vocal precision of Season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken, we got to the vital stuff:

Sent to Safety (in No Particular Order)
Candice Glover
Angie Miller
Amber Holcomb

Bottom 2
Janelle Arthur
Kree Harrison

Singing for Her Life
Janelle Arthur “Set Me Free You Keep Me Hanging On” | I’ve got to admit that Janelle’s rearrangement of the Supremes’ classic was one of my favorite Season 12 moments, but without her trusty acoustic guitar — and with a more piano-driven arrangement — some of Janelle’s angst and fire got stripped away. This was a good performance, but hardly enough to shake the vibe that she’s the No. 5 contestant in a very strong quintet. Randy revealed a 2-2 split on the panel, and without a unanimous decision, Janelle was eliminated.

A few other thoughts on the episode:

* I really do dislike a medley of almost any kind, but this week’s choice of Donna Summer seemed particularly grisly for poor Kree and Janelle, who are about as far from disco as Uncle Nigel is from being excited about music of the last 15 years. Plus, Angie getting dipped by a male dancer definitely ranks among the season’s 10 most awakward moments (right alongside Jimmy misogynistically weighing in on the Mariah-Nicki squabble with his “Women! They’re so silly!” brand of humor — gag).

* That Ford Fiesta scavenger hu…

* Oh, sorry, I dozed off during that last sentence.

* I’m always looking for reverse psychology in Jimmy’s Contestant Critiques, but after he described Angie as “a great technician” (yikes) and said her “Halo” came up short in the believability department, I’m starting to wonder if he simply isn’t that into her.

* Watching Paula Abdul “sneak” out on stage and congratulate Candice for her inventive, gorgeous “Straight Up” was one of the sweetest moments of the season — especially when the former Idol judge noted the 1989 hit had been “a best friend” to her. Do-do I still love Paula? Or at least her must-have Greatest Hits? In a word, yes — just not behind the judges’ table. #JasonCastro #NeverForget

* Clay Aiken may never be painted as a “commercial package artist,” but you can’t deny the size or precision of his voice. In my heart, I think his “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was the final swish of mouthwash intended to remove the taste of Lazaro Arbos (who tackled the ballad in his audition and as his Top 10 “victory anthem”) from the Season 12 stage.

* Jimmy forgetting his lukewarm Wednesday-night response to “Without You” and comparing it to a successful jump out of an airplane? Mariah saying she wanted to place Amber in a spot “above the top 2″? Have they finally gone too far in trying to make Ms. Holcomb happen? Discuss!

* I’m not saying Jimmy was wrong about Kree not doing the best job in song selection this week, but he totally saw this week’s results before predicting she might be in jeopardy, right? That said, the long and meaningful shot of Kree and Janelle hugging felt like the show trying to subtly transmit the blonde country girl’s votes directly onto the brunette one.

* Call me an unrelenting megafan, but I lost my damn mind when Fantasia’s lower lip began to quiver on the final refrain of her awesome new single “Lose to Win.” This was absolutely the best Ms. Barrino has looked and sounded on the Idol stage since her confetti shower at the end of Season 3. And nobody feels their music like she does. #WomansRevivalYes Hey, an idea? Instead of the Ford Fiesta B.S. moment, though, wouldn’t it have been a better use of the car manufacturer’s money to sponsor a second performance by ‘Tasia? Or maybe allowing the lovely La Toya London to grab the mic and delight us for a couple minutes?

Your turn: What did you think of Season 12 Top 5 results? Is Top 4 week too late in the show to be using the save? Is a non-elimination week and then cumulative results from the next two Wednesdays the most fair way to extend the season? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Teeny Bikini says:

One Word. Fantasia. She has never looked or sounded better. Her voice and heart and passion cut right through me. I don’t really remember anything else. And I don’t care.

• Atlgal2013 says:

Yes,yes and yes!

• Joline says:

Fantasia was great. What would happen next Thursday if they did the cumulative votes? Would be a very long hour with no results….

• Danny says:

Yea, she was awesome. Paula coming back was a nice touch too. I liked her way back when. As I see the judges who’ve replaced her, I miss her even more.

• Gailer says:

It was nice seeing Paula again. Wish she would replace the two Divas next time. If there is a next time.

• Glover4thewin says:

Paula was so fantastic and sweet! It brought back so many good memories of her dancing and being crazy. LOVE HER!

• Real Deal says:

i want simon back. he’s the one needed to make judging credible. randy should rest for a time, keith can stay and nicki. mariah does not judge really, she just tries to make unreal comments

• waterbug says:

I agree! The treat of the night was Ms. Barrino. She has ditched the scary Cruella DeVille hair colors and was a class act on the stage.

As far as the bottom two this week…I agree with America. I think Kree is a bit too comfortable that a pretty tone be all she needs. I think she got a rude awakening tonight…a well-deserved one actually.

• Teeny Bikini says:

This!!!!!! She is my waffle, but she needs to get with program. Every performance needs to be like “Up to the Mountain.” Period.

• jaime says:

I agree. Think kree has a good voice but has gotten boring/complacent. nothing memorable to get people voting… I had a feeling she’d be in the bottom..

• Nephtalia says:

I want a KrAngie final and I am happy with a Kree bottom 2 today for sure. She was definitely getting complacent and she never receive a negative feedback until Jimmy last week and this week. So now, I know no one is running away with the votes. Everyone is head to head. She will be getting Janelle votes and all the judges standing O next week so I am not worried. But every fanbases are now motivated, no one is safe.

• Sandyk says:

No way Kree can win being in the bottom 2, never happen. It’s the voters that speak. I don’t think anyone that has won before had been in the bottom 3.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah she has some that something. She can put some star power into things and has a unique voice.
      I thought she was a bit of a train wreck last season when she sang with Joshua so I was sort of wondering what would happen tonight but yeah now that was the Fantasia that some of us went wild over in her season! She didn’t go too non-stop out of control. That was powerful and it’s what I sometimes feel is missing at times this season.

• Teeny Bikini says:

You hit the nail on the head. I thought the same thing – “This is what is missing.” This!

• tewence says:

ah, all of this is right. haha
        she is so magnetic…i wasn’t even THAT into the song (i did like it – wasn’t blown away), but she makes everything believable, so i couldn’t help but watch the entire performance.

• TheWiserView says:

But still, JHudson surpassed her..

• marie says:

That’s what my wife said as we were watching Fantasia: “Jennifer Hudson is better.” For me, it’s more apples-and-oranges, and I agree that she sounded and looked better than ever. Way to go, Miss ‘Tasia!

• ali427 says:

As much as I love JHud and Fantasia, I think Candice is better than both of them; I really do.

• Vetle says:

I really do too, and I really like JHud and ‘Tasia.

• marie says:

As it happens, I prefer Candice too, as she infuses her singing with a jazz sensibility that neither Fantasia nor Jennifer chooses to employ (in their season, I preferred Latoya for this reason). Of course, Candice has not yet had a chance, as Jennifer and Fantasia have, to produce commercial recordings (outside of the Idol studio tracks), so what she can really do remains to be seen in a sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if Candice turns out to be just as good in the end as Melinda Doolittle, who I prefer to either Fantasia or Jennifer.

• Nephtalia says:

Compared with the last time she performed and was singing about food, she looked like a new woman. She looked great, sounded confident, and lost some weight which made her look younger.

• Batman says:

Fantasia still is as untalented as ever. She is the worst female winner in the show’s history.

• Kay says:

I agree with most of your thoughts….I wouldn’t go QUITE so far as to call her the most untalented winner ever but I am among the apparently few who find her grating and over the top. I give each performance of hers a chance to see if she has finally grown on me, but I always end up either fast-forwarding (if I’m in DVR mode) or muting her (if I am watching live). But everyone else seems to adore her….

• Larc says:

Don’t know that I’d go that far. She at least has a good range and can carry a tune, which is more than I can say for last year’s winner.

• marie says:

Come now. Phillip Phillips may not have much vocal range now, true, but his pitch was never a problem, or at least not a serious one (anyone can have a wonky note now and then).

• titania424 says:

I never liked her, but I actually found her tolerable last night. She didn’t do all the things that totally annoy me.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well thank goodness she sounded better – at long last, LOL. I just never cared for her “Minnie Mouse on Helium” voice. I haven’t had a chance to watch the program yet. My facebook peeps told me Janelle was sent home.

• tewence says:

agreed! she looked fantastic (anyone remember the hot mess that happened at last year’s finale?), and no matter what she does, you FEEL her. SO dynamic…she always gives me chills. i’ll admit that i own only one of her songs, but i always love watching her perform. she GETS it.

• Real Deal says:

fantasia has really improved in a million ways, that is personality wise. but if i must be honest, her vocals was not very impressive, her growls sound desperate. nice song though, especially the message…

2. EVPandHC says:

I think this is a perfect Top 4. In fact, this is the best Top 4 in 12 seasons of Idol. At least IMO.

• I agree 100%. I think the Top 4 in Season 3 and Season 7 were very strong but this Top 4 is amazing. Anyone of these ladies can win, anyone of the ladies could be eliminated next week. It’s pretty exciting. Kree being Top 2 last week and Bottom 2 this week is a sign at how incredible the competition is.

• Ademm says:

Wow — if you think this a good final four I’d sure hate to listen to your music collection. What a dull collection.

YOU ARE DULLER, LOL.

• Macy says:

Hey TheWiserView, more than 10% of the comments here belong to you, and every one of your comments is kind of rude. Why do you feel the need to do that?

• Lee says:

You guys really think this Top 4 is better than Adam/Allison/Kris/Danny or Jessica/Joshua/Phillip/Holly? Keep in mind that when Adam/Allison/Kris/Danny were in the Top 4, Anoop came in #6. Compare that to this season that had Lazaro come in #6. Enough said about this season.

• teatime says:

@Macy, he/she seems obsessed with Amber.

• caro says:

Hey Sugar, er, Macy–I see you’re the Hall Monitor here too. Must get old.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah not one person is safe in this top four. At least three of them have been #4 at least once. Quite possibly three of them have been #1 at least once.

• Dan says:

Good point. I think Angie is the frontrunner, but I would hate it if she won! Kree-Candice finale!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

This maybe be (heck likely is) getting way too conspiratorial, but since I thought that Angie did finally prove that she can totally bring it without needing the piano this week, this time she seemed more than believable handling it, and since maybe she needs that ability to actually get to the finale, when Jimmy was all down on her Halo being technically awesome but not beliveable blah blah whatever and all going crazy over her piano performance, was he saying that in her best interest as he truly believes or was he saying it to scare her back to the piano so she can be called the Christian piano girl so she won’t crack the finale and he can sneak Amber in there one way or another?

• TheWiserView says:

ANGIE MUST JOIN THE CHRISTIAN CONTEMPO. I WANT AN AMBER-CANDICE FINALE COZ I HATE COUNTRY .

• Halien4Life says:

ANGIE is amazing, and she proved herself this week to any doubters. Jimmy Iovine stinks — he used to be decent but has lost his common sense this season and am so glad that Nicki and Randy clearly opposed him in his comment about Halo. That was an unbelievable performance and was clearly finale-caliber!!! I definitely think it should be an Angie-Candice finale. Kree is 3rd, and she will do well in her niche in the long run.

• Joy says:

It’s possible all four of them have been #1, and we at least know they’ve all been top two or three before — and that over the past three weeks, each of them has been outside the top two (Angie last week) or top three (Kree tonight, Candice and Amber top 7 week). This really is anybody’s game…which means we should get to see some amazing performances when they all bring their A++ games next week. :-)

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah it is possible that all of them have been #1 at some point, but with all the talk about Amber not getting votes, etc., I doubt that she has ever made #1. It’s quite possible that Candice, Kree and Angie all have at least one week, but we don’t really know for sure, at least two of them have I’d think. Whatever the case it seems very wide open #1-4.

• Nephtalia says:

Or some will get desperate and act out of character. I am afraid of what will happen to Kree now that she is out of her comfort zone. Ouch!!

• Joy says:

@HTGR I wouldn’t be surprised if Amber was #1 last night. It seems like her second performance wowed a lot of people who’d burned out on her previously (me included), so it may very well have rocketed her to the top.

• LeahKittyS says:

Yes, Amber could very well have been #1 after that Barbara Streisand number. It was certainly #1 in her catalogue thus far. And I did detect a nice emotional drive behind “Without You.” It would make sense, given that over the last two weeks she had to say goodbye to her boyfriend and her best friend. She was singing it for them.

• Sandyk says:

I might be the lone wolf out here, but I do not think, comparing body of work we have heard so far from Amber that deserves the winning slot, nor would she be emotionally ready for such a big win, regardless of what judges and Jimmy says. She has had a few songs that were excellent but the rest of the time it was about the legs and the smile and an average performance. She doesn’t have the voting power and I as a voter do not care what the judges try to cram down my throat I will vote the way I want. Between the three other girls it is hard to say who will be the clear cut winner, but if we do it on body of work for the Season, Candace has probably had more wins than the other girls which probably which means she just might have the strongest fan base. I think Angie as well is in the top 3 each week with Kree. I think Kree probably has a stronger base than Angie.

• Joline says:

Can someone tell me what Ryan said several weeks ago when he mentioned the save? Didn’t he say they only had 3 more weeks to use it? (Meaning that last week would have been the last.) Did I make this up? Did it happen? HELP!

• Will says:

They’ve established both this season and prior seasons that the save lasts until top 5 week. Why people assumed it wasn’t active this week is beyond me.

• Joline says:

Because I swear to god Ryan recently told us how many more weeks the save was active and it added up to expire LAST week. Somebody out there has to have that episode on their DVR or remember what he said.

• deedee says:

Because in all prior seasons the save had to be used BY top 5.

• John Zakaria says:

Why then didn’t this sorry judge group use it and give Janelle one more chance next week? All they had to lose was extend one more week of the show. Or was it because they were afraid that people would vote for her and Amber would get the boot? I think they should definitely look at getting rid of Mariah and Randy next year. It’s evident they are definitely biased against country singer girls. Based on who was included in this years competition they definitely did not select competitive male singers during the audition process and their intention this year was to have a female winner but not another successful country one. Kree is by far and away the best choice for this year’s award. As Niki said she is a worldly singer which is something you cannot say for the others. One night’s performance should not be the determining factor. The whole season should be. This show has gone down hill and you can attribute that to the quality of the judges. I think Niki is the best one while Mariah is the worst.

• TheWiserView says:

THE SAVE CAN BE USED ONLY UP TO TOP 6 EPISODE. WHEN TOP 5 IS ON, NO MORE SAVING. CLEAR JOLINE?

• deedee says:

@TheWiserView, you do realize that you just reiterated what Joline said, don’t you? She said she could have sworn that Ryan told us the save was active up until last week, after which it would expire. That would be the top 6 episode, as you mentioned screamed.

• Ted Sutton says:

WiserView….You don’t know what you are talking about. Last night they said they would not use the save. That meant it was still in play. If it wasn’t in play they would not have had her sing for survival. Clear WiserView?

It takes no courage at all to sit in mom’s basement behind a fake name taking cheap shots WITH ALL CAPS. You are a rude bonehead, and are not welcome here. Take a hike.

• Real Deal says:

Hey Ted, calm down…LOL

• CAM says:

If it can only be used “UP TO TOP 6 EPISODE”, why did they discuss saving Janelle during Top 5 week last night? No need to shout at people and be rude, especially if you’re wrong.

• Chris says:

I think I remember Ryan saying there were only 3 weeks more to use it. I do think they changed their minds but just didn’t say so. I really think using it now would be unfair to the people voting. If someone’s fan base isn’t big enough now to get them through then they should go home.

• TheWiserView says:

I TOTALLY DISAGREE. IN SEASON 3, THE RUNNER UP IS A SO-SO, FOLLOWED BY J TRIAS WHO’S NOT REALLY GOOD. FORGOT THE FOURTH ONE. JHUDSON I BELIEVE IS IN TOP 5 OR 7. SO THE TOP 4 IN SEASON 3 IS NOT GREAT.

• mikey says:

LaToya London was 4th, George Huff was 5th, John Stevens was 6th, and JHud was 7th. The week she went home, the three best singers were in the bottom, JHud, LaToya and Fantasia, which was one of the most shocking results. It was when Ryan separated the top and bottom into groups of three, and then asked poor John Stevens to join the top group, he stepped with Jennifer, LaToya and Fantasia, and Ryan repeated to John to join the top 3 (Diana, Jasmine and George). LaToya had probably the best voice of the group, but once Fantasia sang “Summetime”, she more or less won the season.

• Ted Sutton says:

WiserView…Nobody cares if you agree or disagree. People who type in all caps are shouting boneheads, and are not welcome here. You information is poor, and you attitude is even poorer.
          Nobody likes you. You are rude. Time for you to leave anyway. Mom says you have to go clean your room.

• Christina says:

This final 4 is perfect!

• Owen says:

Angie needs the win or to come in second.. Jimmy has all but said he would sign Amber. I’m sure he would Kree or Candice as well. But he doesn’t like Angie and would not sign her if not forced to.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Seems like it. It also makes me wonder if his talk about how she is so amazing on the piano that she needs to stick there is not a setup. Could Angie win if she did every single song behind the piano? Yeah maybe she didn’t always do quite as well away from it all the time but Halo definitely showed she can do every last bit as well away from it and he still tried to old get behind the piano and stick to inspirational music thing. I don’t think that gets her to top two, maybe not even top three. Notice that actually went ahead of Kree this week despite Jimmy saying that Halo was likely to drop her down. But who knows, maybe he meant it for real. But I am getting a hint of hmmm about it.

• tewence says:

i personally think that is totally viable. he is up amber’s rear end, so whatever he can do to shove her along, he’s going to. i personally think he’s not doing himself any favors. “totally marketable” in amber’s case means “nobody has told you what you are going to be yet” because, clearly, she is completely unsure.

• Halien4Life says:

For weeks now I have been sick of the judges’ & Jimmy’s comments about Angie needing to stay behind the piano. Sure she is amazing at the piano, but she is also great away from it and did fine off the piano before Jimmy’s negative critiques got into her head and shook her confidence (her Sudden Death round performance of Nobody’s perfect was great, as was Surrender). I stood up clapping and cheering during Halo — it was that good and should have shut Jimmy up for life! Yes, I think Angie should WIN, but do not want her to be bound to Jimmy’s label, Interscope.

• Joy says:

Interscope isn’t the only label out there. If Jimmy doesn’t want to sign Angie, someone else will. I’m confident that she’ll be on the Christian charts (assuming that’s the direction she wants to go) this time next year no matter when she goes home.

• Nephtalia says:

If Interscope doesn’t sign her, with the Idol contract, she will not be able to do anything right away and after that another season of Idol and will be forgotten.

• Joy says:

@Nephtalia I believe the Idol contract just gives Interscope a right of first refusal — if they pass on someone, 19 Management reserves the right to shop them around to other labels. Casey Abrams and James Durbin both signed with indie labels after their season, and James had his album out around the same time as Scotty and Lauren’s.

• Nephtalia says:

@Joy Truth!

• Vetle says:

I must agree. But no matter the top 3, nothing would even compare if season 8 had the rightful top 3 in Allison, Adam and Kris. If Kradison was the top 3 in season 8, I would probably have died from pure joy. (they should totally bring them all on the show this season btw + BOW-ER-SOX and miss Haley Reinhart)

3. I love her and I will miss Janelle like crazy. She brought a lot of fun and personality to the season. Now, no more goofing off for me, and I won’t be splitting my votes between Candice and Janelle anymore. Candice wins or I’m out

YOU ARE OUT.

• Lee says:

I’m with you, Ryan. Janelle brought life to this boring show. Now it’ll be like a funeral without her.

• TheWiserView says:

OH OH! CONFIRMING THAT YOU’RE AN OBSESSED COUNTRY FLICK FAN.

• Ted Sutton says:

Hey The Wiser View..why don’t you just shut your pie hole. Your all caps and negative comments and mean spirited attitude are not welcome here. Take a hike.

• You’re giving a lot of awful comments too by responding to TheWiserView. Why don’t you just ignore TheWiserView and give valuable comments instead?

• Real Deal says:

Leave him/her alone Ted, i trace your comments. you’re focusing on wiserview, focus on AI.

• Real Deal says:

Yeah, dont mind wiserview, we want to hear what’s on your mind. Personally, i dont care who wins, they all deserve to win. Id just watch out what happens after a year, who will really surface in the music scene….what do you think Ted?

• Chris says:

I also will miss Janelle. Despite the fact I’m not a country music fan, I think she’s the person I’d most like to see in concert. You can’t help but feel happy watching her perform. Candice’s singing is more my style so I hope she wins.

4. Jacob P says:

I think Fantasia won season 3… and Amber SO deserved Bottom 2 (I changed my mind)

5. Danny says:

I really enjoyed Paula coming back. I wish she was back permanently. I didn’t start watching until season 4, so I wasn’t real familiar w/ Clay or Fantasia. I recall Clay coming back on a Final and remembered seeing that kid freak out when he appeared. That was worth a grin. I don’t know much about him, but he comes off as a quality human being.
    =========================
    As for Fantasia, WOW!!!! She’s miles ahead of anyone on this show. If she was competing this year it wouldn’t even be close. I recall her on the show a few years ago and if I’m not mistaken I wasn’t that impressed. Tonight was totally different.
    =========================
    Ok, something about Amber bugs me. Candice and Angie showed some class when they were announced safe. Amber just shoots across like she was shot out of a cannon.
    As for Janelle leaving, I liked her more than others. She didn’t catch on like the others. I figured she’d be the one to go. No sense saving her if she’s just going to leave next week anyway. She wasn’t going to win the thing. Her getting voted off two weeks in a row I think would have done more damage to her than keeping her around another week.

• scooby says:

Amber’s been in the bottom twice. She nearly went home before Lazaro last week, and this week she finds out she’s top 3. I’d sprint like Usain Bolt if I heard I was safe after that. Candice and Angie always get called safe, often top 3. It’s not gonna light a fire under their butts to find out the status quo has been maintained.

• BA says:

Regarding Amber, she’s been a bottom 2 or 3 dweller so often, I think that she was surprised that she wasn’t in the bottom 2. I don’t think that her happy surprise should be held against her.

• deedee says:

Totally. She was probably bracing herself for bottom 2, and suddenly her name was called as safe. I’d be mad-dashing over to the silver stools of safety, too!

DEFINITELY.

• Joy says:

Agreed. A couple weeks ago when she was the last person declared safe before the bottom two, I remember she seemed really sweet toward the other two as she said goodbye. Tonight, for whatever reason, she was a little extra-flummoxed, but that one moment is hardly the whole picture of who she is…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Amber is a 19 year old kid – I don’t think we should judge her by actions such as that one.

• marie says:

Amen! Let’s stop micro-analyzing every little reaction, tic, facial expression, inferred slight, etc.

• ejones says:

Amber deserved the run as she was the only won brave enough with her song selections, the market leaders Candice and Kree bottled it with so-so songs, whilst Angie and Janelle are not of the standard required for a winner.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I don’t believe in holding any of that sort of stuff against any of them. It’s dangerous to read into things anyway.

• andy j says:

Amber’s hot pants are made for running.

6. So they change the rules, and STILL don’t use the save? Weird.

Also, nope, I still don’t like Fantasia.

• Gailer says:

Is that true what Ryan said, Fantasia is an R&B powerhouse?

• HB says:

Yes. She’s won a Grammy for best r&b female, with at least 5 other nominations. She’s a fixture in the urban AC top 10 charts with all her lead singles with several number 1’s. She’s extremely popular in the adult urban music community.

• Holly says:

I’m so glad you gave all the info about Fantasia’s accomplishments. Though I’m not a particular fan of Fantasia, I know she is talented and her success is well deserved. You illustrated a very important point about the overall impact of American Idol. Many very successful singing careers have started on this show. People look at the few superstars (like Carrie and Kelly) and conclude that Idol has overall been a failed experiment. But many Idol graduates, Fantasia included, have gone on to make a very good living in the music industry. You don’t have to sell out stadiums to have a successful vocal career.

• Danny says:

Yea, I saw a list of Idol alums who made over a $1 million a year. I don’t recall all the names, but it was a lot more than I thought it would be. If I had to guess, I think there were maybe 12-15 names on there. In addition to Kelly, Carrie, etc, some of these other Idols are having huge careers. Maybe they aren’t mega stars, but they’re stars none the less.

• Owen says:

Yes, even the most loathed winner, Taylor Hicks (not in my book, that title goes to Lee DeWyze.) makes well above a million a year.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Very good point, Holly. I had no idea Jason Castro had made such a career for himself in the Christian music genre until I kept hearing him on the radio when I went to the hairdresser. People on these boards have made fun of Kellie Pickler, who has a very succcessful country music career (not like Carrie, but successful) and Syesha Mercado, who has appeared in “Dreamgirls” and “Book of Mormon”.

• marie says:

Let’s not forget that more than a few Idol alums – Diana DeGarmo, Constantine Maroulis, Ace Young, Syesha Mercado, Fantasia herself, could well be others I’m forgetting – have gone on to careers in musical theater (stop grimacing, Simon Cowell, it’s an honorable career and a more-than-legitimate musical genre!), and Katherine McPhee (others, too?) have landed TV series roles. Pretty impressive outcome for former Idol contestants.

• Gailer says:

Thanks, I had no clue.

• Keith says:

Yeah I changed the channel when she came on

AGREE, I DON’T LIKE FANTASIA EITHER

• Will says:

I don’t get this. What rules changed? They’ve ALWAYS said the save was good until Top 5 week. They said that from the moment the save was introduced. I don’t get why this is suddenly news to people.

From Wiki:
        “However, starting in season eight, the judges may overturn viewers’ decision with a “Judges’ Save” – they can save a contestant on a unanimous decision, but two will be eliminated the following week, except for season 11 when only one was sent home after the save. The save can only be used once, and only before top five.”

• Will says:

You quoted from a Wiki and without providing an actual source, so I’m sorry to say that I still believe what the show has said since the save was introduced rather than some misinformed person filling in a Wiki page.

• deedee says:

It seems that most people who’ve watched the show over the years – including the person who made the Wiki entry – are under the delusion that that the save has historically been valid only before top 5 week. Do you have a source that could put this false assumption to rest?

• MB says:

Janelle talked to the news media and said that she knew that it was the last week they could use the save and it made her feel better because if they just did not use the save on her and was saving for another girl she old have felt worse. So I guess the save is done. It will be interesting to see what they will do to fill the extra week.

• teatime says:

Almost every year they change what they do to get to the top 10-13 contestants. Sometimes we start voting at 36, sometimes at 24, etc. Sometimes they say we are getting to 12 and they they add a SURPRISE! 13th contestants. Sometimes they add in Wild Card picks. There is no definite rule that has to be followed every year. They decide the rule that year and tell us. Like wise on many occasions they have changed some of the voting options. They tell us during the season what the current options are. They can do the same thing with The Save. They define what the rules are to be for any given season. Even if they had clear guidelinss years ago for when The Save could be used, they are not held to that same set of rules this season.
          BTW I disagree with that wiki entry. It should include the exact words that Ryan said and it does not. It therefore could have been misinterpreted. But at any rate, even if it correctly states the rule for A season, the series does not need to maintain that exact same rule for all later seasons.

• not says:

I think they changed the save rules so they could make sure the right person went home. They all but announced on Wednesday that Janelle was cannon fodder but they wanted the save in case the voters did something unspeakable like vote any of the others out. They didn’t use it b/c they didn’t need to – they got the result they were angling for.

• marie says:

Precisely. They can change the “rules,” which are really fluid, whenever they want to. I think they did just what you said, and wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled out the save going forward if someone they want to win is in danger of getting eliminated.

7. RodMod says:

You all do realize that Lazaro’s fans have all put their support behind Amber?!
    She may actually be able to win this thing!

• Mary says:

I wouldn’t be mad at that. I said on the last post if Janelle was the lowest they would not save her. Really at this point why bother. I think they have something up their sleeve to fill in for the extra week or maybe they will have a non eliminating week but I don’t think that will happen.

• deedee says:

Maybe they’ll expand the homecoming week to 2 weeks. We don’t get to see much of it on the top 3 results, and there’s tons of footage for a filler week of show if they needed it. Or they could just use the save next week, I guess. I mean, it’s a bit weird to do that so close to the finale, but whatever.

• Davey Mac says:

Lazaro h-h-h-has no fans

• Dan says:

That was kind of rude.

• Owen says:

and creepy. Not the first time on these boards, sadly. Lazaro’s turning out to be a bad singer seemed to allow people to say anything they want. It just left the door open to people who fear or are made uncomfortable by someone else’s handicaps to lash out. They couldn’t make fun of him at first, but as his lack of ability reared its head it somehow made them feel it was okay to be horrible. It’s awful but it’s human.

• LeahKittyS says:

Dan and Owen, you speak the truth.

• caro says:

A stutter is not really considered a handicap in the way you mean; more like an inconvenience . Ask that blind kid who was on the show a few years ago.

• Ev says:

I think Lazaro’s attitude is what has opened the floodgates for abuse. He can’t get through an interview without being somebody else down for his shortcomings.

• karenb says:

Not cool.

• LYJ says:

Not funny.

• LT says:

that would be a great injustice.Her voice is screechy

POSSIBLE…

• Adam Fachry says:

Amber has unintentionally made a pretty good strategy by showing her sympathy to Lazaro when he was eliminated last week. Now that he endorses her, Amber might come out as a frontrunner and end up at the finale. I’m not that mad, as long as it’s either Candice or Kree who’s going to share the top 2 with her and not Angie.

• lemon says:

Admit it, a Candice Amber finale would be awesome. Think of the beautiful duets.

• lala says:

I agree!

Candice vs Amber
        Kree vs Amber
        Candice vs Kree

and Angie should go home and focus on her solo album and original composition.

• Lunakit says:

^This!^

• Art Montesa says:

Why do you hate Angie so much?

• marie says:

For about the billionth time, disliking someone’s singing does NOT mean you hate that person. (Can we maybe get a filter for the words “hate” and “hater,” just as there is for ****, ****, or ****?)

• Halien4Life says:

Angie/Candice FINALE would be amazing! I have always liked Kree but she has not stepped up her game since Idol began, and Amber is simply not as talented as the rest and should be the next eliminated.

• Mafs95 says:

I love Angie!!!! But I also love Candice and Amber… and Kree. Why do they not decide to have all this 4 girls performing each night until the finale? Ok, that’s impossible, but they’re sooo good and in different ways. I don’t know, I probably want a Candice-Angie finale, but any result is fine to me.

• lala says:

Yes that’s what I think!!

• not says:

What makes you think that? They couldn’t be further apart musically so I don’t see why any Lazaro fan would pick Amber over any of the others.

Even if true, I’m not horrified. She’s not my favorite but she belongs in top 4. For all we complain about Nigel’s manipulation, it worked this year to get the best singers from the top 10 into the final four. If it were up to me it would be Candace, then Kree but I won’t be horrified if any of the others win.

• Adam Fachry says:

I’m not sure I could word it flawlessly. Hmm how about this? Have you read / seen Harry Potter? Voldemort develops a powerful object to keep himself eternal, and it’s called Horcrux in which a Dark wizard or witch has hidden a fragment of his or her soul for the purpose of attaining immortality, and Amber is like Lazaro’s Horcrux. And what makes you think his fans vote for his musicality, they vote for his story. The best friend arc that Amber unintentionally (emphasis on that word) undergoes right now, may or may not be effective for her journey on this show.

8. *Color me shocked. I thought that the Save would be used tonight. But if they can use it whenever they want then I guess it makes sense. But Slezak is right, it would be wrong to change the public’s vote at this point. The save’s purpose is to ensure the public didn’t mess up, at this point the public knows what it’s doing. Maybe with 7 or 8 or 9 Idols left the audience can forget to call, but with 4 people left the audience wants what it wants. I would hate for Candice or Kree to be eliminated but I also don’t think it’s fair to take the vote away from the people this close to the end.

• Christina says:

Agree. The save is there for when the voters mess up when there’s 7-9 people left. They can’t use it at top 4, America isn’t forgetting to vote at this point. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to fill the extra week, who knows?

• The save isn’t meant for America forgetting to vote and that’s a idiotic reason to even consider them using it. It’s for someone picking bad songs or having a bad night that they know could do better and that’s EXACTLY what happened to Janelle. She picked 1 mediocre song that she did a great job of but her Dolly Parton cover is what killed ANY shot of her advancing. I’d guarantee if she had picked a better song for her Diva cover she would have been safe.

• MC says:

Exactly. ITA with the first part of your post. It was time for Janelle to move on, though. The only person she might beat in votes at this point is Kree. Candice and Angie have loyal fans. The judges are going to pimp Amber until the bitter end and she’s picking up more support each week. There was no point in saving Janelle this time. They will save Kree next week to justify all the praise they have given her throughout the season. Janelle will put out a nice country album. I might even buy it because she’s sort of an anti-diva who is comfortable with her own style.

• not says:

I also agree with the first half of your post but not the second. I really like Janelle but it was clear she was behind the other girls for the past few weeks and it wasn’t one song that destroyed her chances. She’s a really sweet girl (or a really great actress) but using the save last night would have just delayed the inevitable.

• The Beach says:

I totally agree. There are four very strong contestants left and America should be the one to decide. No Judges Save!

• Name That Tune says:

Next week is about right. I don’t think they are ready to let go of any of the top 4. Then it is up to us.

• Owen says:

Also, if Janelle had been saved, her fan base would have been extra busy dialing next week assuring that Amber or Kree might be sent home.

• Bill VanAlstyne says:

I disagree that it would be wrong for the vote to be overridden by a unanimous decision of the judges — right up through the top three, maybe even the top two. And just because some dude, Ryan or whomever, said “this is how it is going to be” doesn’t mean doodly. It’s a live, at least predominantly unscripted show, and the producers of it can throw in a curve ball to mix it up a little any time they want to. Surprises and unanticipated changes are part of real life. Personally, I think at least 50% of the public voting, maybe more, is based on regional, cultural, ethnic, sex-appeal, or genre-related motivations anyway, not on who is the best singer/performer/artist. Phillip Phillips winning last year in the presence of Joshua and Jessica was absolute proof of this, as either of them could sing (and perform) circles around PP, who will probably be gone from the public eye and forgotten in another year or two. To this day, I have no idea why he won over two of the best vocal performers I’ve ever seen on a show of this type.

• Chris says:

I agree that America doesn’t always vote for the best vocal but that’s what make Idol Idol. It’s part of the fun to see who America votes through and who it doesn’t . Without it, Idol would be a much less entertaining show. The producers would be wrong to override America’s choices. They can sign whoever they want to a recording contract but the winner of the contest should be picked by the voters.

9. Dan says:

Is Paula replacing Randy?
    No way was Kree in the Bottom 2! I will always love you, Janelle!

• Lauren says:

Was Kree actually in the Bottom 2? I didn’t hear them specifically say that, but maybe I’m wrong.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

They said that the top three were the top three but in (perhaps) random order and that the bottom two were the bottom two.

• Danny says:

We can only hope. Though I’d go a bit further and would like to see Paula replace Randy, Mariah, & Nicki. Take away 5 minutes of judges and let the contestants sing longer.

• waterbug says:

Kree deserved to be in the bottom 2 tonight. She got to bring it every week and this week was lacking. It’s nice to know people are really listening to the singing and voting on the weekly performance.

• Dan says:

I didn’t think Kree was amazing this week, but I thought Angie deserved to be in the Bottom more.

• Luiz says:

Exactly! There’s no way people are listening to the singing if Angie wasn’t in the bottom 3 this week.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Believe me there was a way.

• MC says:

I would make the exact opposite statement. Angie was fine this week. Amber might have been great on the second song, but it was an old song that didn’t make her more current. The judges (especially Nicki) ripped her to pieces after the cover of the Mariah song. And they were right with their criticisms! Amber doesn’t have much of a lower register, her enunication isn’t good and her high notes occasionally run sharp. Also, her connection to the lyrics is average at best and she seems determined to be the next Whitney rather than the first Amber. I liked her more before they started pushing her to be the winner. I’ll be okay with it if Amber wins, but Candice is the best singer this season imo.

• Will says:

And there’s no way you were even watching the show with the volume on if you think Angie deserved to be in the bottom 2.

See how saying things like that don’t really mean anything?

• Mafs95 says:

Angie wasn’t perfect technically, but last night she made me feel emotional with both her songs (yeah, I’m one of those people that actually liked “I’ll Stand By You”) and that’s the key to this competition. She was great and she deserved to be Top 3 this week.

• Chris says:

I felt Angie won the night and I’m a big Candice fan. I find Kree just a bit dull.

• Lola says:

I agree. Angie is a good entertainer (though too pert and bubbly for me) but her voice is not superior like Kree’s or Candice’s or Amber’s.

• CAM says:

Thank you. I did not enjoy either of her performances. The first one she got raves mostly because she mentioned her ties to the Boston area. Smart, but go back and listen again to the performance. The second song was loud, but not great at all.

• Nedsdag says:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. She over sang BOTH songs, but the judges gave her a big wet juicy kiss for both performances. Jimmy loved her first song, but I totally agreed with him about the second. To me, Angie has won whether she wins AI or not. If she doesn’t win, we all know she’ll be a hit in CCM.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Why do people keep tossing the CCM thing on her? Nothing she does will prove to you all that she could do anything other than CCM alone?? It’s like you want to say she is some little, restricted CCM-only after thought.

• Mafs95 says:

I think Angie was amazing this week in both her performances, mostly because of the emotion she was portraying. Whenever I go to Youtube to watch her Top 5 performances, I don’t feel the need to actually watch her. I felt every word she was singing last night. Technically, it wasn’t perfect but I personally don’t ask for perfect. I want people to move me by their singing, and last night Angie, Candice and Amber (with her 2nd song) did it to me.

10. Wesley says:

Loved Janelle’s exit performance, but she was probably the right one to go. The right people are being eliminated is the problem, so I guess the fact that the save hasn’t been used is probably great (though when Burnell and Devin sang I still kinda wished they saved them. I mean, in what world would Lazaro beat them? Ugh whatever). Was very upset to see Kree in the bottom, I was about to freak out if she was the least vote getter, but I can’t be surprised due to the country vote being split week in and week out. Now to hope that Kree lands in that finale!

• Danny says:

I thought highly of Janelle. My thinking is if she’s just going to get eliminated next week, her being voted off 2 weeks in a row would do more damage to her than good.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I suppose they could’ve made it seem a touch easier on her if they had just said the save is gone past top six as always. (if some ultra fav of theirs ended up last they could’ve just used the yay everyone is safe thing they did one other season)

• The Beach says:

Good point.

• Will says:

They never said the save was gone past top 6 week. They’ve always said, and they said it earlier this season, that the save lasts until Top 5 week. It should be gone after tonight, not last week.

• Name That Tune says:

Will, who writes the rules for the show? It’s always been up to Nigel and TPTB at Fox to do what is in the best interest of the show. They understood at the beginning of the season that this was a possibility. Contingency plans have always been in place. The plan is to continue to use the save until someone at Fox says otherwise. It is silly to stubbornly insist that they can’t change the rules. They just did.

• deedee says:

Incorrect, Will. I posted the wiki entry about the save in another reply to you, but seriously, they’ve always played the save *by* top 5 – meaning, after top 6 it was invalid. They have bent the rules this year to keep it in play *within* the top 5.

• Will says:

deedee, you’re wrong. I mean, you’re phrasing is right, but your stance is wrong.

If they had used the save on Janelle, they still would have been using it by Top 5 week, as in Top 5 week is their last chance to use it.

The only reason this hasn’t been an issue before is because the save has always been used before this point, but it has always stood that the save was only available to use until Top 5 week, and then it was no longer in play.

• deedee says:

As I said in the last thread, they could have not announced the bottom vote-getter, and simply said that the total votes over 2 weeks would determine who leaves next week. That would eliminate the embarrassment of someone getting kicked off twice in a row after getting saved. Well, if they want to do it, they really have only one week left. After that it’s the top 3 homecoming.

• not says:

Good point about the homecoming. Is there a date that’s been made public for that? Regardless of whether they still have the save or use the save, etc. they have to reduce it to 3 before homecoming week or they would have to do 4 homecomings. My guess is that this process is structured so that they only have a budget/staff to handle 3 so there is no way they will do a 4th.

11. dj says:

It will be interesting to see what Nigel & Co. come up with to fill the extra week. For some reason, it felt like a huge diss–moreso than other weeks–when they didn’t use the save tonight. A real slap in the face to Janelle.

• deedee says:

I know. When Janelle was singing her “save me” song, you could see Amber mouthing to whoever was standing on her right, “she’s not going home tonight”. Even the contestants made the calculations. Poor Janelle must have had hope.
      I think Nigel hates when fans figure out the strategy, so he pulls the rug out from under us so we don’t think we have it all figured out :-) .

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah you could also see Angie sorta telling her to not worry too.

• Nephtalia says:

Yeah, Amber said so, no one is leaving today. I guess Nikki said on twitter, she was not saving anybody, maybe she actually mean she was not saving anybody. I feel like Nikki decided she does not want to be anybody pet after Amber performance last night where after a standing ovation, she decided to tell the truth. We are all thinking Nigel. Think about it, if she said no. No one can force her.

• Name That Tune says:

Since it has to be a unanimous decision, the save will only be used if Nikki agrees. She clearly is the one who is running things. It is guaranteed the save will be used for one of her pets: Amber or Kree possibly Angie. So next week it is used.

12. Kay says:

See below

13. Gailer says:

The only good thing for me on Idol this year is hearing PP’s Gone Gone Gone

• Will says:

Then you must have only been tuning in for the last 60 seconds of the results shows, because there have been some amazing performances this season. It’s sad you missed them, but they’re on youtube, so maybe you can catch up, or at least you can watch Candice’s performances from the last two weeks. It won’t be hard to find good performances, because if PP’s goodbye song is the only good thing about this season for you so far, your standards are probably already set so low that it won’t be hard to surpass them.

14. Kristi says:

Keith tweeted: I fought for ya @JanelleAI12!! -KU #IdolKU

I wonder who else wanted to save her?
    Now I’m thinking they’ll use the save next week.

• Linda says:

I think its Randy who vetoed it because he has 2 votes – if he had voted yes there would have been 3 votes in favor- no way it could not have been randy is my point. Keith + Randy= 3 votes

• Spycigal says:

Um how do you figure Randy has 2 votes? They get one vote each… I wish Ryan would’ve told us if the Save was still in play or not… I think they’ll have a non-elimination week…

• MB says:

I believe the save is still available. Ryan would have said something like this is the last week to use the save but nobody is saying anything. They are playing very close to the vest. This is really a weird year. I know everyone is saying this is the best top 4 ever and any one of the girls can win it. True, but also there is no real stand out except for Candice vocally but she does not have the complete package.. Honestly I wouldn’t buy any of their music. I like them all but I am not passionate about any of them. I really don’ t care who wins.

• LYJ says:

Define complete package. Do you mean skinny?

• MB says:

Absolutely not. I am not a skinny woman. I mean her personality. I don’t know what it is but I don’t feel drawn to her. Also she is not an entertainer, she pretty much stands there and sings. She does have an incredible voice and I won’t be upset if she wins but I don’t feel drawn to follow her career as I have other Idol contestants. I don’t feel she is very charismatic. It is all part of the package. As far as her looks I think whoever has been styling her is doing a better job. The last couple of weeks she has looked beautiful.

• Mafs95 says:

@MB, I respect your opinion but I totally disagree. In my opinion, Candice isn’t just an amazing vocalist. She’s a true artist because she’s not afraid to change the songs to fit her style. The way she re-arranges the songs is simply amazing and it shows how mature she is. Personality-wise, I also connect with her. She’s nice and has a smile on her face when she feels to smile. She’s also very humble and super funny (some of her tweets are hilarious ahah). However, she knows she has to take this very seriously… this is her THIRD time on American Idol (Season 9 she was eliminated in Hollywood Week and Season 11… we all know what happened -.-‘) !!!!!! It’s completely normal that she feels a bit stressed or maybe too anxious about this whole competition. That’s why she isn’t so bubbly and always with a huge smile like Angie, but I can connect with her, definitely. Having said that, I love all the Top 4 girls!!! So… let America choose the winner and that’s fine to me :)

• MB says:

I too am okay with whoever wins but to tell you the truth I am not passionate about any of them. I think Candice is the most talented of the 4 but I just can’t commit to being behind her. Angie started out as my favorite but I am not even crazy for her anymore, Kree was my second favorite but she has become print to me. Amber has a gorgeous voice and is beautiful but I never felt anything for her either. There is something about her that turns me off. Maybe in the next couple of weeks someone will shine for me and I can get excited and vote like crazy but so far this year only Angie did that for me in the beginning. I haven’t even been totally moved to vote. It may not even be the girl’s fault. It may be that this season has been a total bust for me and I lost caring as much.

• td says:

Randy doesn’t have two votes. The decision has to be unanimous, so there would be no point to having him have two votes. Randy said it was 2 for and 2 against–not unanimous, so no save.

• Batman says:

Nicki will only vote to save either Candice or Amber. It will take an act of Nigel for the save to be “unanimously” used on either Kree and Angie.

• deedee says:

Isn’t almost everything an act of Nigel & co.? Hard to believe Nicki has the power to make such decisions as who gets saved and who doesn’t.

• Name That Tune says:

Nikki has the power to say no. It takes only one judge to Stonewall things. If Randy Mariah and Keith agree & Nikki stubbornly refuses to budge, she gets her way. I’d say she has a lot of power.

• MB says:

Remember she did say when they didn’t save Curtis that the save is BS and if he does not get saved they will save no one.

• not says:

@MB – not trying to be snarky but I think Nicki was referring to the guys only when she said if Curtis wasn’t saved “none of you” would be (or something to that effect). This was in the context of her twitter tiff w/ Devin and I at least read this as confirmation that they wouldn’t use the save on a guy but she thought the only guy worth excepting from that was Curtis.

My opinion of Nicki is so mixed. I like that she’s more blunt than other judges and actually gives critiques. But I think she’s obnoxious in her negative critiques and even worse when she gives a good review (marshmallows and waffles and other such drivel). She often comes off as so childish, as with her Curtis comments. I also can’t figure her out musically. I hate her “music” but I really agree with some of her critiques and the rest of the time think she’s insane (like with her Curtis adoration when I found him obnoxious). I honestly don’t know whether I like her as a judge or hate her (probably leaning more toward the latter).

15. Atlgal2013 says:

Fantasia gave me life tonight. Yes girl!!!!!!!! And why the hell is the save still around? Too late in the season now…..Team Candice!

16. Lauren says:

To make up for the extra week they should do a non-elimination episode next week, like Idol Gives Back. They could raise money to help those injured in Boston.

17. Guitar Blue says:

So now Candice, Amber and Angie are top 3.
    Kree is in 4th place. …..Janelle is out……..

and there’s still a “save” left for the season. ………………

Looks like they will use the save next week then, so you could skip next week entirely and miss nothing. …………………………..

But look for Kree to gain lost momentum from the elimination of Janelle.

• Mary says:

The save is gone unless they change the rules which I doubt. Next week should be interesting.

• deedee says:

The save was gone after last week, so they’ve already changed the rules by keeping it in play this week.

• Will says:

No, the save lasts UNTIL Top 5 week. They’ve said so this season and past seasons. If they use it after this week, then, and only then, will they be breaking their own rules for it.

• Name That Tune says:

Will, you can’t say the save is gone. TPTB can change the rules to fit the needs of the show. They still need it. Or they have to no elimination night.

• Hal Lowe says:

The Save has never lasted UNTIL Top 5 week inclusive. As originally formatted the latest the Save could be used was to keep the person set to leave in 6th place in the running – & the season the Save was introduced it was used for its own sake on Matt Giraud the last week it could be used. So AI’s already re-written the rulebook on the Save even having it on the table this week.

• Will says:

1. I never said the save was gone. I said that they’d be breaking their own rules for it if they used it past this point.

2. Matt Giraud was saved in Top 7 week, not Top 6. Hal, you’re misinformed on all counts.

• Hal Lowe says:

You’re right about when Matt left – but still wrong about the Save previously being a possibility as late as the Top 5 . The show’s already being revisionist – or if you will “breaking their own rules” – by even having the Save on the table this week ending. So it wouldn’t be taking an extreme step to use the Save in the next week or two. And the show has to have a non-elimination week to have two contestants left for the final.

• TheWiserView says:

THERE WILL BE NO MORE SAVE HONEY. CHECK THE RULES.

18. marie says:

Michael, the name of the Supremes’ song is “You Keep Me Hanging On.”
    Fantasia was amazing! Wish we could have heard Latoya sing; she was terrific.

19. CJS says:

I am actually surprised that they didn’t use the save tonight, but it is somewhat understandable given that Janelle had the least votes & wasn’t likely to win anyway.
    The real test will be next week. If they don’t use the save next week, then I don’t see them using it at all.

• LT says:

the judges are saving the save for Amber. That is their favorite

• Linda says:

I agree- she is the most marketable because of her youth..Kree could be marketable too- I think Candace should win but it she as marketable? Angie goes home next imo

20. HitTheGroundRunning says:

so much for those who said there was no point in bothering to vote last night.
    contestants looked somewhat shocked that someone was sent home
    so the save MUST be used next week, either that or that have some weird new thing planned for some upcoming week, an extended top three or who knows what
    Janelle went out on a nice performance.

21. MB says:

Did they change the rules? Can they still use the save next week? I just felt so bad for Jannel.

• Name That Tune says:

TBTB can do anything they want.
      What do more likely to generate the most buzz- the possibility of a save or a no elimination night? I think the save is in play next week & they’ll use it.

• TheWiserView says:

THEY DID NOT CHANGE THE RULES HONEY. YOU’RE NOT FOLLOWING…

• Libby says:

Please stop screaming. Please.

• They DID change the rules. Apparently you didn’t read that article.

• Will says:

Slezak makes mistakes. Heck, he did it tonight misnaming Janelle’s song, which he went back and corrected, and he did it last night when he gave Halo way too low of a rating. He’s human and he can be wrong.

The facts are that the save is and always has been active until top 5 week. They said it when it was introduced, and they said it earlier this season.

• Nope, the facts are it had to be used BEFORE Top 5 Week. THAT’S what they said when it was introduced, and that’s what they’ve said ever since until tonight.

• Will says:

NO. They said it had to be used BY Top 5 week, not before.

• Hal Lowe says:

No they didn’t. It’s a shame that when you double-checked my mistaken assertion that Matt Giraud would have left in sixth place if he wasn’t Saved you didn’t double-check how late in the season the Save was originally stated to be valid. The reason so many people believe that the Save was said to be valid up to but not including the Top 5 is because that was what was said.

22. Marisa says:

Maybe The Save is designated for Amber, since they are desperately trying to make her happen.

23. Norma Burt says:

FIXED is all I can say. It is my first and will be my last year of watching. The judges really pimped a couple of boring singers these past two or three weeks. Good bye AI will not grace, or should I say disgrace, my screen again.

• waterbug says:

I know how you feel…I stopped watching a couple of seasons ago…when it was only lauren, scotty and a couple of others whose names i have since forgotten. But fortunately this season the talent is TOP RATE I will be watching to the end see who takes the title!

• Mary says:

how can you say it is fixed. She was in the bottom two last week. She was the weakest singer left. Sorry your favorite left, but that is how it works.

• td says:

If you don’t like it, why are you still watching, first year or not?

• syb says:

LOL. Yeah I was wondering why Norma has decided to torture herself for the rest of this season if it is so unbearable. (Psst. Norma, you could actually quit watching now if you like. There’s no Idol truant officer gonna hunt you down.)

24. Chris says:

Fantastia!!!! And how grown up is Mr. Clay? Perfect vocal as always.

Janelle I am really going to miss you on the show. I’ll look forward to the music you’ll release and hopefully a duet with Miss Dolly! Hold on to that beautiful heart and smile. Sing sing sing sing.

• Keith says:

Clay was 24 when he was on the show so he was grown up then

• lyn says:

When did Clay turn into Conan O’Brien? A giant with red hair! Ryan looked like a fire plug standing next to him! I love Clay and have seen him in concert many times, but he seemed so different last night.

• Volcfom says:

Haha, I’m glad someone else noticed the resemblance. He just needed to part his hair to the other side, and they’re twins!

25. Ashly says:

I’m just not enjoying this season that much. Am I the only one who finds it boring? Put up against The Voice and prior seasons of Idol, it’s a bit of a snoozefest. Where’s the passion, the suspense, the cruel injustice of one of my faves going home too early? Who’s the Haley Reinhart or Elise Testone of this season? Nobody takes risks, nobody is dangerous. It’s ballad after ballad after ballad. Candice is the only one who successfully attempts to spice things up.

• Danny says:

I agree that it’s a down year. You’re probably not going to get a lot of agreements though because most of the people who agree with you have stopped watching. I have the last 3 seasons recorded on the computer here. Sometimes I’ll run last years top 10 (or whatever week) vs this years. This year has yet to have a week that exceeded last years.
      Like last years top 5 had 12 songs rather than 10. Less judges talking. It had the Josh + Phillip duo that was not only good, but funny. Josh tore it up on “To Love Somebody” in his 2nd solo. I liked all 12 songs last year on top 5 week.
      In fairness to this years singers, the song lists were better last year. So there’s some restrictions on this years singers that last years didn’t have. That 4th judge, even if it was a good one, takes time away from singing.
      If I’m not mistaken, this year no song has been over 1.5 minutes. Last year they got to go up to 2.5 minutes on some weeks. That gives them an advantage.
      So I’m not totally sure if the talent level was higher last year. The show itself though was miles ahead of this one though.

• karen says:

Just the opposite. This season is one of the best ever in Idol history. This top 5 is amazing, each and every one of them will have stellar careers.

• Keith says:

It’s possible but very few of the top 5 of previous seasons had stellar careers.Even most of the winners and runner-ups haven’t had big careers.I thought Brooke White was great,but she has had little success

• Mafs95 says:

I totally agree! This Top 5 is amazing but I still think that last season was the absolute BEST! OMG Jessica + Joshua + Phillip + Skylar + Hollie??? Super explosion of TALENT!!!! Oh yeah, and they had Elise in Top 6 while this season we had… Lazaro? Ok, let’s forget this last part and the fact that we had Lazaro in the same spot than Elise.

• Ashly says:

So much truth in this. I didn’t realize until you pointed out, but the judges are kind of killing the show a bit. Their lengthy critiques allow far less time for the singers to perform. The same could be said for The Voice, but the judges on that show are so entertaining to watch that I don’t really mind. Yet on Idol, the shortness of the songs is really hindering a potential moment from happening. Songs need time to build and with 90 seconds, that’s not likely to happen.

Someone said that this is the best talent on the show ever. I agree. They’ve got great voices. They seem like great kids. However, they don’t know how to perform. They’ve been on this show for however many weeks and the stage presence is not improving. I was not surprised that Kree was in the bottom two last night. Her performances were vocally beautiful but her stage presence is what always gets her in the end. I assume she was scared to death or maybe she’s just one of those people who has a bland personality. Anyways, if she doesn’t work on that, there’s no way she’s ever going to be a huge star. The mentors or whoever is helping these girls need to really work on the performance aspect of singing. If not, even if they win, there’s no way any one would want to go to a concert of theirs. I’d buy a lot of these songs on iTunes, but I don’t have any desire to rewatch the performances on YouTube.

If this season was on the radio instead of live TV, I would be all over it.

• karenb says:

Thanks for posting this. So I didn’t have to. Completely agree with you

26. ali427 says:

Love all of the alums coming back–those flashbacks are fabulous (although they make me feel OLD)!

27. Libby says:

Was Angie wearing a skeleton shirt?! Very distracting.

28. Tedatbent says:

Kree gets the entire country vote now. So as long as she stays in the country lane, she is our new American Idol.

WE WILL SEE,,.

• Harvey says:

It can’t be that strong this season if the two country girls got the lowest votes. If Janelle had left after the Top 3 those shifted votes would push Kree to victory, but the effect will be diluted before then.

• tewence says:

i can’t even predict any voting since country isn’t doing that well (based on results last night) and america doesn’t have a rocker to cling to.

29. LeahKittyS says:

Clay and Fantasia sounded wonderful, and Paula’s return to congratulate Candice was sweet. Believe it or not, this is the Top 4 I called from the beginning of Top 20 week. I wrote a little poem. “Amber and Angie and Candice and Kree, these are the ones who do it for me.”
    I’m not surprised at all that Janelle got the lowest number of votes. However, I am shocked that they did not use the Save. Most people are predicting that the show will indeed end a week early. How unprofessional of these producers to get us into this mess.
    Our dear friend Rickey is calling this “The Top 10 that actually destroyed the show.” What a powerful headline that would make. But if this is the final nail in Idol’s coffin, who is ultimately to blame? The producers? The judges? The contestants (or any specific contestant)? Or simply time?

• LeahKittyS says:

And speaking of nails in the coffin…We now return to “American Idol Horror Story!”
      (Scene: the five girls descend into the dark basement, holding onto each other in the line.)
      Janelle: “I really don’t like this. What if he’s waiting for us down here?”
      Candice: “Well, he’ll be less likely to know we’re here if we keep quiet.”
      (They reach the bottom. Angie, at the head of the line, feels her way along the wall.)
      Angie: “Pull out your flashlights. There’s bound to be more clues in here.”
      (The five of them turn on their flashlights and split up to search the room.)
      Amber: “More clues? What clues do we have to start with? All I can think of is the letter P at the end of those notes, and that could mean anything.”
      Kree: “Well, it’s better than nothing.”
      Janelle: (Sniffling) “Why do we even have to do this? It’s not fair!”
      Kree: “Because the world is full of evil people who do evil things. And as long as the phones are down, we can’t get to the police, so we’ll just have to…Woah! Whoops!”
      (She has tripped over something and is now flat on the floor.)
      Angie: “You okay?”
      Kree: “Yeah, but…what did I trip over?” (Sniffs) “It smells something fierce!”
      Amber: “Hey, look, I think this is a light switch.”
      (Amber flips the switch and a small light comes on overhead. It is just enough to identify what Kree fell over, and the source of the stench. Kree backs away and the five women recoil in horror at the sight of the limp, blood-stained bodies of Curtis, Paul, Devin, Burnell, and Lazaro. Janelle faints.)
      Candice: (slowly approaching Burnell’s body) “Ohh…baby…look what they’ve done to you…” (Raises his lifeless hand to her cheek and sees the dirt on his palm). “Hey…” (Controlling her tears) “What’s this?”
      (She looks at the wall and sees it is the same dirty color. The conscious women look at the right hands of the other men and see the same dirt smeared on their palms along with the blood. Amber looks up to the wall and steps back again.)
      Amber: “Guys…look!”
      (Angie, Candice, and Kree back away as Amber highlights the writing on the wall with her flashlight. The large red letters, one over each corpse, spell NIGEL.)
      Angie: (Solemnly) “Well, would you look at that. They identified their own killer.”
      Candice: “Then the P…must have stood for-”
      Kree: (Anxious) “Uh, guys? Where’s Janelle?”
      (The four of them look aroudn and see Janelle is not there. On a table they find a folded note. Kree picks up the note, and the others can tell by her paling face what the message is.)
      DON’T THINK YOU’RE SAFE, PRINCESSES. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE…IF WE ARE FEELING GENEROUS. -P

• Danny says:

People who keep watching tend to think this is a great final 4 & such. I thought yesterdays performances were overall pretty good. However, the season as a whole is missing something. IMO there’s only been 2 good weeks this year. Yesterday & when Orianthi was on. So I agree w/ you. I keep watching even though I think this is a down year. Most of the people who don’t agree have quit watching.
      As for who’s to blame, I’m not sure who hires the judges, but they’d be my #1 choice for the decline of the show. Hiring JLo & then NM + MC back to back (and keeping Randy) hasn’t worked out so well.
      Next I’d say brutal judging. Every year it just keeps getting worse.
      After that I’d say that the show has been on for a long time. It’s had a pretty good run.

• Holly says:

What’s missing this year? MEN! (Men who can really sing, that is!) The Idol producers tried to make us think that the women were so great this year by casting a bunch of hapless characters in place of real male talent. Not taking anything away from the super-talented ladies (ESPECIALLY Candice and Kree,) but the show seems pretty one-dimensional this year. I just wonder what incredibly talented male vocalists we missed seeing this year because they were not given a chance….

• MC says:

There was one “incredibly talented” male vocalist last year (Colton was solid, but no better than the women this season) and that was Joshua. Phillip Phillips said in a recent interview that singing is not his strength and he doesn’t consider himself to be a great singer. Okay, so one great male vocalist last season versus zero this season. That’s not really much of a difference.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

It can’t end a week early.

• MB says:

They can’t end the show a week early they have stars lined up for the finale who have busy lives and can not just make changes at a drop of a hat. They will use the save next week or come up with something else to fill the extra week.

• Joy says:

I’m guessing they’ll just announce, “Oh, these girls are so great, we’ve decided to have a double round for top three (or maybe even next week at top four) with cumulative voting over two weeks of performances.” They might see some ratings dip for the results show where no one’s going to be eliminated, but if they reveal some preliminary standings and have a couple interesting performances (maybe get both Mariah and Nicki to take the stage that night…), most people will still watch.

• deedee says:

They don’t have to let us know that they will do a cumulative vote until the end of the results show.

• Joy says:

@deedee True, but if they’re not committing until they know the result, they might as well just save somebody. Announcing the plan in advance reduces the appearance that it’s just a last-minute rule change to avoid a result they don’t like — which, by the time we’re down to top three (meaning this vote determines who the final two will be), would be pretty heavy-handed manipulation even for Idol.

30. hsl says:

Was Paula drunk? She is way too skinny and couldn’t walk straight. High hills are great IF you can walk in them. I’ll miss Janelle.

31. The Beach says:

Paula coming on and hugging and praising Candice can only help her.

• Adam Fachry says:

LOL, the cynical side of me can’t help but think that she doesn’t have any career left so she decided to stop by, but nevertheless, I do miss her. Back in the day Idol >>> today’s Idol.

32. Scarlett says:

I wasn’t that impressed with the vocals of either Clay or Fantasia.

33. waffles says:

I don’t think the announced bottom two was necessarily the actual bottom two. Ryan said the results were in no particular order. They put Kree in the bottom two to amp up her fans to make sure she makes it to the finals. And the way Ryan said things, he gave the impressiion the save is still on the table. What rules?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

No, he said that the top three was given out in no particular order (maybe it was and maybe it wasn’t) but that the top three were the top three and at that the bottom were the bottom two.

• Owen says:

Oh, sweetie. Kree was in the bottom 2. Sorry. And she definitely deserved to be this week. Actually for a couple weeks. There’s something off about her recently…she is becoming more and more disconnected. Not that she can’t ground herself in a lyric, “Up the Mountain” proved that. But that was what? Vegas? I still predict a Candice/Kree finale, and I’m fine with it, but less fine with it week after week.

34. Idol-is-a-b*tch says:

Oh just shut up to the people still in wonder why Kree is in the latest Bottom 2, I mean Kree being in Top 2 last week and the Bottom 2 this week alongside with fellow country girl Janelle doesn’t mean Idol is now unpredictably exciting. It is only a clear proof that Southern and Middle America is no longer watching Idol – therefore, a continuous dip in the ratings. LOL

• Idol-is-a-b*tch says:

Especially when there’s a threatening sh*tty Nicki Minaj that is off-putting to a large number of American conservative people. LOLOLOL

• Linda says:

NM is likely one who did not want to save her (Janelle) Her and Randy! Randy has 2 votes and Keith said he fought for Janelle. She more or less said as much last night. Janelle u will do well outside of this venue so keep going.

• dj says:

That’s what I thought, too. Probably Randy and Nicki voted no.

• jess says:

Didn’t Nicki say she wasn’t saving anyone this season since Curtis wasn’t saved? I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I could be wrong. There were some rumours flying on the twatter last night that they may just have a two week finale with the top 2. Ugh.

• The Beach says:

Where did you hear Randy has 2 votes?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

How does two votes even make sense? So what if he had a million votes. All that matters is that the decision is unanimous and 1,000,000 to 1 still won’t cut it.

• deedee says:

ROFL, so true! Unless Randy’s 2 votes can overrule one of the votes, making it “unanimous”. But that definition of unanimous is a real stretch. Besides, isn’t Nigel really the one who decides, before the results show, who gets saved?

• not says:

I keep hearing this and I wonder where the rumor came from. My guess is that the show told Randy he was so important that they’d give him 2 votes to everyone else’s 1 and he’s so dim he never figured out this doesn’t help him at all because it has to be unanimous.

• Owen says:

Which is one of the MANY reasons I freakin’ love Nicki Minaj!!!!

35. TheWiserView says:

A LOT OF READERS FIND IT HARD TO ACCEPT THAT ALL THE JUDGES AND JIMMY LOVINE LOVES AMBER TO WIN. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHY. SHE IS CURRENT, PROMISING, YOUNG, AND HAS A BIG CHANCE TO MAKE IT BIG. STOP THIS NON-SENSE KREE COUNTRY STUFF. AND THIS CANDICE MOM-LOOKING BELTING GIRL WHO HAS A LITTLE CHANCE OF MAKING IT BIG. ANGIE ON THE OTHER HAND CAN JOIN COLTON DIXON AND SHE HAS A BETTER CHANCE TO MAKE IT BIG THERE. COME ON AMERICA, THINK LIKE A PRO!! CHOOSE AN INTERNATIONALLY ACCEPTABLE SINGER.

• AMERICA, HOME OF KELLY CLARKSON says:

THINKING… YEAH, NO. AMBER IS MEDIOCRE AND ANNOYING. ALSO WE LOVE MOMS AND BIG GIRLS WITH BIG VOICES. ALSO, ANGIE > COLTON. PLEASE TAKE A XANAX OR YOUR LOCAL EQUIVALENT. TY

• karen says:

Admit it: Amber’s “Without You” was a complete dud and pitchy throughout. She’s not the brilliant A-lister the producers make her out to be. She’s inconsistent, period. It’s all about looks and legs and a half-way decent voice. “The Total Package.” Give me Candice and Kree any day of the week, over Angie and Amber. As for Angie, Jimmy was out of his mind saying her first song was outstanding. It was a mess.

• waterbug says:

MeeeeOooow! Pssffft! Pssft!

• Mary says:

I happen to think she has more than a half-way decent voice, but you are entitled to your opinion.
        I agree that she is the total package that given the right song and guidance will make it big. I also
        think Candice is a fantastic singer, but I really do not see her in main stream. Kree I think can make it in country but she definitely needs to work on stage presence. I really don’t care if any of these three win, but I will say I am not into Angie. I think she will have a career in CM but not my cup of tea.

• jess says:

Truth. Angie and Amber’s first performances were not good. If Candice keeps doing what she’s been doing she should make the top 2 but Kree is gonna have to step it up if she wants to get there. Janelle’s elimination may help Kree but she has to bring more to her performances. She’s got the voice part down, just needs to step up the stage presence. And really, that just means have fun up there and let the fact that you’re having fun radiate from every pore of your body and the audience will have fun right along with you. Enthusiam is infectious!

• rm says:

Dude – geeks, tigerdirect, or newegg. Get a deal on a keyboard.

36. Guitar Blue says:

Now the stage is set for strategic song choice and a popularity battle to make the top 3.

Since each one of the girls has a growing fan base and Janelle is gone, it’s going to be an interesting battle to the finish.

But now, most vote-splitting will end and the next elimination is not easily predictable – so far, it has been, but even though Kree is 4th by popular vote, that could change next time.

37. DCMark says:

Since I have never subbmitted a post before, I have give a shout out to Michael Slezak. You reviews are brilliant. As far as the show is concerned, I actually like the judges a lot this year. Mariah could learn to give her comments a little more succinctly, but even Randy is more coherent than in years past. I love the passion of the judges and they seem prepared every week….more than we can say about past judges who almost had to be woken up to give a comment. I’ve been watching since season 7 and until this year I thought season 7 had the best talent. Who cares if they use the save at this point. Other than keeping Lazaro too long, America (surprisingly) is getting it right. Every other year I have one, maybe two contestants that I really love. This year, I would be happy if any of the top 4 win. For once in a long time, the winner doesn’t seem preordained. These next five weeks are going to be very enjoyable to watch.

• sg54 says:

I agree, go Slezak! I have to disagree with you on Randy; he seems more jarring and inauthentic every week. We know hes either getting notes from the producers or doing his research on public opinions of each contestant. Seems like hes always saying the most generic comment possible for each contestant. However, I do agree on the anyone could win comment. I would be jumping on my feet for anyone at this point.

• Anna Belcher says:

Your post is right on! I loved Season 7’s Top 10 (except for Kristy). Of the remaining four, I’m not crazy about Angie, but she was better last night. In the beginning, I liked Kree the best, but since then Candice has won me over with her creativity.

38. Billie says:

WEEKLY RANKING ALERT!!!
    4. Angie Miller (down from no. 3)
    Thanks to her solid fanbase she’s safe for another week. But, the former front-runner is so inconsistent from her self-penned “You Set Me Free” to “Shop Around” to “Bring Me to Life” to “Halo”. Eh.
    3. Amber Holcomb (up from no. 4)
    I mean, she’s technically good. Plus, with Angie’s recent pitch struggles, I guess she’s in Top 3 for now. (Even though I’m having a feeling a black girl will go home next week, let’s hope it’s not Candice!!!)
    2. Kree Harrison (2 weeks no. 2)
    Sure she’s in the latest Bottom 2, but with Janelle’s departure – it will give her the advantage since she’s the only one now courting the country vote. And I prefer her over Amber and Angie to join Candice in the finale. I just hope Janelle will share the creativity and personality to her and country, Middle, or Southern America are still watching this show though.
    1. Candice Glover (2 weeks no. 2)
    NO ONE SHOULD!!! SHOULD!!! AND SHOULD!!! BE NUMBER 1!!! ASIDE FROM HER!!! NUMBER 1 B*TCH*S!!! NUMBER 1!!!

39. Billie says:

WEEKLY RANKING ALERT!!!
    4. Angie Miller (down from no. 3)
    3. Amber Holcomb (up from no. 4)
    2. Kree Harrison (2 weeks no. 2)
    1. Candice Glover (2 weeks no. 1)

40. The entertainment left with Janelle.I;ll miss her happy face. Candace is the only one who is worth listening to so much so, she doesn’t need this show to succeed.. Idol has turned into the Lawrence Welk Show with its outdated song themes and Jimmy trying to dictate who wins even before we vote.

41. Q says:

FANTASIA was amazing tonight on Idol. Please support her album on Tuesday April 23. “Side Effects of You” hits the store WORLDWIDE!!

42. LeahKittyS says:

And for the record, this is the sixth week in a row my source got it right. At this rate I will bet money on a Candice/Angie finale. Not ready to call the winner, though.

43. Bonnie L. Rosen says:

Well, I was a Claymate in season 2, cried when Fantasia sang Summertime in season 3 and had (still do) the McPhever for Kat in AI5….my fav season, btw. Remember Paris Bennett, Kelly Pickler (the only country singer on Idol I’ve sort of liked…wish she had held on to that naivete; impossible, I realize), Elliot Yamin, Ace Young (yeah, not so great) and the entertaining but NO STAR, The Silver Fox, Taylor Hicks?? Since then, there have been FAR too many country singing winners, IMO.

Oh, and what about Melinda Doolittle! Maybe not as marketable as some but WHAT a voice! Anyone remember her rendition of My Funny Valentine and Home? Now, I’m ready for a great, NON-country Idol named Candice Glover! She’s head and shoulders above the rest, if we’re talking about a brilliant SINGER. The worłd will always embrace TRUE talent, no matter what.

Okay, I’m done. Whew, right? LOL

• Bonnie L. rosen says:

Sorry for my ‘screaming’ a few words. This was my first post here. Nobody has a reply for me? Boo Hoo.

I agree that it’s too late for a save or should be. I agree with others who have said that they should do one week (with no eliminations) in some sort of fundraising show honoring those who were affected by the recent tragedies in Boston and Texas. The American Red Cross can always use as much help as it can get! It would be a timely and compassionate gesture on the part of the AI producers, IMO. I’d watch (and give what I could). Wouldn’t you??

• deedee says:

They can’t do a fundraising show like “Idol Gives Back” without weeks and weeks of pre-planning. If they were going to do that, they would have announced it ages ago, and built up the hype so that people would tune in.

• Bonnie L. rosen says:

I agree and don’t. Do you remember that HUGE tribute shown on EVERY channel shortly after 9/11? Yes, it would take a LOT of work in a short time but I think that many stars would jump at the chance to show their support of America while being given the tremendous opportunity to showcase their latest singles, albums, etc. in front of the world. With enough effort, it COULD be done (but probably won’t). Alas. But I wish they would because all of our hearts are hurting and we’re in the midst of that rare event when Americans feel united and really WANT to do something….anything….to help.

• marie says:

Please don’t give it another thought; capitalizing a few words for emphasis is definitely NOT “screaming,” but rather a sensible and quick means of emphasis in an environment where italics and boldface are not easily executed.
        And welcome to the discussion! :-)

• Macy says:

Yes, I agree with you about Candice — head and shoulders above the rest. And the rest are great, so props to them, but that just tells you how stellar Candice is. Thanks for mentioning Paris Bennett — she’s one of my all time favorite idols.

• Bonnie L. rosen says:

I loved Paris….loved, loved, loved! So young with SUCH a gift. Remember her “Midnight Train to Georgia” and on ‘Classics’ night, her brilliant performance of “These Foolish Things”? BTW, most of her AI5 performances are on YouTube, as are most of all the great Idol contestants’ actual songs. (Thanks for the reply, Macy!)

• Mafs95 says:

Paris’ audition is still one of my Top 3 auditions of all time! She was amazing and quite different and unexpected. I’m sad that nowadays all she does is post some Youtube videos… :c

44. Sarah says:

I think that Janelle was the right one to leave this week. She had the weakest performances last night and didn’t have as strong of a track record as the other girls. I’m pretty interested to see how they deal with the extra week from now on. My guess is that they’ll use the save next week, even though it is supposed to be out of play.

45. JAFan says:

I have been a Janelle supporter all along. Now, if I continue to watch, I am trying to decide for whom I will vote. What would Janelle do I say to myself. Something tells me she would vote for Candace. But that is only a guess. Either she would vote for Candace or Kree. Thinking I will go with Candace. In past years, when a country person left, the other person probably did get a much stronger vote. Not sure that will be the case this year. If it is true, then it will come down to Kree and whoever wins between Candace and Amber, since they seem to be vote splitting.

46. Chris says:

Angie is awful

• Bonnie L. rosen says:

Angie reminds me of a beauty pageant contestant who ‘sings’ for her talent category. Not exactly bad but far from a real star.

• Nedsdag says:

Angie lost me when she openly said she hoped she was going to be in the final three. She’s way too ambitious and overconfident for me. Besides, every time they do a close up of her, I want to ask her how her dad Billy Ray Cyrus is doing and I keep waiting for her to sing “The Climb” or “Party in the U.S.A.”

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

WTH! They just asked her a question. What is she supposed to say? I am Miss Manners America Fakey Fake so I will answer good heaven’s no of course I don’t want to be in the top three! I don’t want what I don’t deserve at all! Oh please, please do not let me be in the top three!! Please let any of the others be there instead!!
        And the rest of that what the heck does looking like Miley at all have to do with her singing? You don’t like Party in the USA or Miley so you don’t like Angie’s performances?
        This is what we mean by bias.

• jess says:

Methinks that you’re the one who is being biased. Saying Michael must be on crack because he didn’t praise Halo?!? OTT. I didn’t think Halo was that great either, in fact some parts of it hurt my ears. Doesn’t mean I’m biased. You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. cheers!

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Anyone who doesn’t want or care about being in the top three should’ve dropped out long ago.
        Don’t be ridiculous. She didn’t even say she deserved it she just said yeah of course I’d love it if I were to be in the top three as one of the judges just predicted.

• Halien4Life says:

Sorry, but if her honesty in replying to that question “lost” you, then you were probably never in her corner anyway. You know all these girls want to be in the Top 3, let’s all be honest. Your comment about Billy Ray is simply ludicrous.

• Nedsdag says:

As a fellow Haley admirer, I am disappointed with your comment. It’s called having an opinion. You need to have your eyes checked if you don’t see Miley Cyrus in her. Do you see her joining Kelly and Carrie as the next big thing? She over sings her songs, and when you take her away from her piano, she’s more beauty pageant contestant than performer. And yes, she comes across as too overconfident for me. If you don’t like it, deal with it. We agree to disagree, princess!

47. Davey says:

I am praying that Angie goes next. Jimmy loves her but that hair and even her piano numbers bore me to tears. L liked Janelle much mor than Angie but that choice of Dumb Blonde was just dumb.

48. Marta says:

LOVED the Latoya London feature….. She was my favorite that season– “All By Myself” and “Don’t Rain on My Parade” were such vocal master classes….and then she got “Tamyra Gray’d” and Jasmine Trias and that dumb flower in her hair moved on to Top 3. Still salty bout that one!

• MC says:

Latoya is one of the all-time best on AI and very few people ever talk about her. Elton John loved her, Barry Manilow loved her. Simon let it slip on live tv after one of Latoya’s songs that she was the best singer that season in his opinion. Simon and TPTB then remembered the script and started pushing Fantasia again. People forget how much Simon and TPTB pushed the Fantasia backstory while also complimenting her as a singer. Latoya was really unlucky to be on that season.

49. Jamie says:

I miss the passion I felt for AI during David Cook’s and Kradam’s seasons.

50. Adam Fachry says:

This is a good wake up call for Kree. She came off as a bit complacent this week. Come on, honey! Get that finale spot with Candice!