Report: The Cleveland Show Cancelled

The Cleveland Show CancelledThe Cleveland Show will (allegedly) not go on.

Although a Fox rep insists no decision has been made, Cartoon Brew reports that Seth MacFarlane’s Family Guy spin-off has been cancelled after four seasons.

RELATED | TVLine Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

No word if Cleveland will be welcomed back into the Guy fold full-time.

Until an official confirmation comes through from Fox, Cleveland Show will remain “a long-shot” on TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard.

1. Joe says:

Nice…one down, family guy and American dad to go. None have made me laugh in years.

• JT says:

Are you kidding me. Family Guy and American Dad gets funnier and funnier, especially American Dad for the last two years.

• bobby74 says:

American Dad I agree with, definitely. Still hilarious and witty to this day. Family Guy….not so much. In my opinion, it hasn’t been genuinely ‘good’ since all the back to Season 4.

• Martoukian says:

I haven’t watched American Dad much for a while, but I have generally liked it. Funny I would agree with, but if there’s one thing Seth McFarlane shows AREN’T, it’s “witty.” If you were looking for the epitome of something that’s funny but not witty, any of Seth’s output would be perfect.

• dick fart says:

are u kidding me? season 4 was thee absolute WORST season in family guy history, I stopped watching cuz of that (and I was a die hard fan) it was an embarrassment to the show and its original 3 seasons,… then I started watching it when it got good again circa seasons 6/7 when the show reached its peak, nowadays its kinda bland and lazy, not bad though, still good for a few laughs here and there

• Bill says:

I like Family Guy, but funnier year after year? That’s a bit of a stretch

• Chantelly says:

Definitely agree with you there! But I have to admit, season 12 (uk dvd) was probably not Family Guy’s best moment. Still, love FG and AD!!

• um i looked up they said that there creating a new season and that the brown family and tubs family is moveing back to qhoug

• moonbunny28 says:

Your crazy American Dad is one of the best shows on TV.

• ddd says:

lol – do you actually watch shows that haven’t made you laugh in *years*? Modern Family stopped being funny this season… I watch five episodes then stopped watching. I don’t get upset that it’s still on. You need hobbies.

• Josh says:

Joe just needs to get laid.

• Chris says:

American dad is awesome.

• Lane says:

Whats your problem there funny. Hate to see The Cleveland Show go. My three favorite shows on FOX, but now there’s only 2.

• Ang says:

Yeah I agree. It’s not LOL funny…it’s just meh.

• Mia says:

you must be one of those that like to watch all that crappy reality tv instead of comedies… drama’s and such…

• xavier says:

no one cares if you like it or not. dont watch it at all its as simple as that

• Sky Halliwell says:

American Dad, barely made it by actually. American Dad was indeed cancelled. TBS then bought the rights to American Dad, the next season of American Dad will be the last one on FOX, then the show is moving to TBS. Luckily the Voice Actors will remain the same

• Mary Terry says:

I for one am glad The Cleveland Show will be ending. The last episode I saw was just to stupid and wasn’t funny at all. It made Cleveland look and act like a moron once again the writers made it seem as if black people have no moral whatsoever. What sane father would teach his son to rebel against authority? Shame on you writers. I will never watch that show again.

• John says:

Kill yourself

• devlen says:

Nobody said you had to watch any of them, If they dont make you laugh turn the channel, That the beauty of TV now we have 100’s of channels you can turn too instead of griping about one particular show.

• du2i2o says:

BURN IN HELL LOSER

• It used be ok. However of late it seems that Seth Mcfarlane is using all his shows as his religious and political platforms. If I wanted that I wouldn’t be watching cartoons. It feel like I am being force fed his views. Keep it topical and lighten up on the blasphemy, many people are Christians and just because you aren’t gives you no right to belittle their faith. Just as I have no right to belittle another man’s faith. Don’t go into the heavy stuff, it’s supposed to be comedy. I would rather watch Bob’s Burgers. We have enough people trying to play the shock value card, it’s played out. Or maybe it’s too hard to write witty relevant comedy so we use old fall backs like religion and politics?

• dick fart says:

bobs burgers is good because they don’t set up jokes they just let them flow fluently through the show through little side comments made by the kids or the parents … also it’s the only show that doesn’t show the dad as fat, lazy and stupid and exploit him and make the wife all knowing and morally superior that all the other adult cartoons do, even though bob is not exactly ward cleaver, he’s respected and liked by his family and the wife is the one who’s dingy and naive, sorta like in king of the hill, those are two good shows maybe partly because of that, its closer to real life, I mean what fat idiot idiot has a hot wife? really

2. jimbo says:

A Quagmire spin-off would’ve been much more entertaining, I suppose.

3. Nicole says:

Well, I love the show and really hope this is a joke or bad information. If not, then Cleveland and the Browns need to move on back to Family Guy.

4. Vetle says:

I love Family Guy but I got bored with the Cleveland Show after 7 or 8 episodes. Didn’t care for the characters. I do hope Cleveland returns to Family Guy though.

5. Teag says:

Saw that coming. Seth needs one less show to work on, he’s a busy guy.

6. Kevin says:

American Dad needs to stay! Funniest and Smartest of his shows

• Ben Carroll says:

I’ll say it should. It is the best of Seth MacFarlane’s work. American Dad keeps it coming with the jokes and has better stories. The show has been rising in quality since the second season and developed a style all it’s own. What’s more, there are no annoying and pointless cutaways in place of an actual plot. Meanwhile, Family Guy relies entirely on those random flashbacks as well as endless Star Trek / Star Wars references and 80s pop culture gags, even resorting to swearing and being sick and gross for laughs. The series has become an excuse for MacFarlane to voice his political views and atheism and do we really need ”Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty”? Anyway, American Dad is the greatest animated show on Fox these days.

7. JT says:

SAY WHAT!? This better be a joke.

8. sara says:

Well this sucks.

9. Doug says:

One down, two to go. All three are basically the same show, it would let the manatees get some rest

• Bartleby says:

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Why are you even reading this story if you don’t like it?

• dick fart says:

I been wondering recently, seth is a single guy never married and dosen’t have kids (at least to my knowledge) yet he has three shows based on families, go figure

10. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Never liked Cleveland or Family Guy. I do enjoy American Dad, though.

11. CJS says:

Maybe if it gets cancelled, everyone in Stoolbend can just move straight to Quahog. It would be an awesome way to put some spark back into Family Guy (although I still find it pretty funny).

12. CJS says:

And while we’re tinkering with Animation Domination, bring back King of the Hill.

13. Smigglesby says:

Thank You!!!! I shall now commence celebration

14. Mikael says:

I’m kind of glad it’s not getting renewed. I think American Dad is far superior, even to Family Guy, and it seemed to get treated the worst of the 3 shows. I find AD more consistently funny than FG and the humor is actually smarter. It’s not just vomit and fart jokes.

15. S. says:

YEAH!!!!! Best news I’ve heard all day.

16. I’m not a huge fan of The Cleveland Show and I’m in agreement in saying that American Dad has become the best of Seth MacFarlane’s shows (that blue jay with the drug problem was awesome) but I’m going to have to remain skeptical about this news. It’s been getting the Futurama treatment (also a better show) and was constantly pre-empted during football season. Not only that, it would be scheduled at different times. After Family Guy, after American Dad, before The Simpsons, after Bob’s Burgers (also a tremendously improved show in its second season) and I think a few weeks ago, The Cleveland Show had the only new episode while every other show on the schedule was a rerun. Because of this treatment, they have to forgive the show for its uneven performance. At the very least, they should reduce the episode order to save money and still have something to fill rerun holes left by the other MacFarlane shows. They need to not have anything on before 8 PM.

• Danielle H. says:

I have never really watched The Cleveland Show, but my husband says it’s terrible compared to AD and FG. I was a die hard FG fan and have probably seen every episode 20 times, but I finally started watching AD and am hooked. The satire is just too fantastic. FG has gone downhill for me the last 2 seasons. There is rarely a good episode on now.. they are just wayyy to out of the box ones nowadays.

• So true the show was so moved around it couldn’t create a real following because the schedule was never consistent. I love Cleveland but then I also loved “King of the Hill” and Fox killed that too that’s what they do when they are mo longer interested in a show the move it around so they can use rating as a scape goat to cancel it.

17. ddd says:

I only made it through about 20 minutes of the pilot for this show and I couldn’t bear it but then again Cleveland was my least favorite character on FG so I wasn’t surprised. He’s funny in VERY small doses… I tried to watch again when they had that three part “hurricane” storyline that stretched all three shows. It was painful.

The only reason I’d be glad it got cancelled is because it would mean FG and AD are secure. I’ve always worried that one of them would go because Fox seemed to be inexplicably high on TCS. So if this show going means those two definitely stay, I’m all for it… It’s just a bonus that I never have to see or hear anything about it again.

18. dude says:

Thank God and I love Seth this is good very good now maybe after making American Dad awesome the last 3 years some juice will go to FG Thank you

19. doug says:

Kill it, and make sure it stays dead.

• 2hardcore4u says:

No. Just no.
      You… You should just leave, sir.
      I do not like the sound of your tone!

• Hugh Foster says:

must agree. TCS was a breath of fresh air for the writers who are forced to perform magic when trying to write comedy for AD and FG but get a sigh of relief knowing full well that most everyone has tuned out the instatnce the clevleland jingle starts, thus no pressure. TCS strove to be third although in the end it only reached the french canadian equalivalent of third, pronounced ‘turd’

20. James says:

The show started off slow but has found its legs over the season. Unfortunately most people didn’t bother giving it a chance. It doesn’t help that Fox freely bounces it from time slot to time slot, which makes it that much harder to nail down viewers. I think the show is very good. Having a black southern family living in a semi-racist Virginia town opens up a broad range of humor that you can’t and will not find on Family Guy or American Dad. I think it has something to do with race of the characters, never mind that Cleveland and Rallo are both voiced by Mike Henry (who is white). BUT I don’t want to make it a huge race thing, though I do firmly believe that is a partial factor when it comes to viewership. If they don’t renew it (which seems unlikely now) I think Fox is making a mistake but then again, it all comes down to ratings and money. They give it a crappy time slot and expect it to bring in viewers. Tall order for anyone to fill. I find Cleveland to be consistently more entertaining than Family Guy over these last two seasons and on par with American Dad. Family Guy seems to be running out of ideas and the plots of the stories are getting more and more ridiculous…and not in a funny way. I’ll be really sad if they cancel Cleveland but at least it’ll be syndicated. Then maybe more people will watch it and maybe it’ll get the Futurama treatment.

• leond says:

As a black man who has seen almost all of the Cleveland Show episodes I can honestly say I doubt the reason the show is getting cancelled and is getting bad viewership is down to the race of the characters.

The show just isn’t funny. Let’s be honest, noone was that excited when we initially learnt that Cleveland was getting a spin-off. He was the least interesting character in the Family Guy crew, that was only funny in veeeery small doses. The characters in the show itself aren’t at all that interesting either…except maybe Junior & Rylo.

It’s a show that lacks humor and has no interesting characters. American Dad & Family Guy are still pretty funny though, I’m glad those are still running.

• Patti says:

This is how I fell. I will miss my weekly dose of something that was actually funny. I well miss Rallo the most! PLEASE! bring them back!

21. dude says:

i will not argue on Family Guy because i know they are already The new Simpsons but i find Tcs dull but sorry you lose a show if you were a fan

22. F says:

Note: All of this is a matter of MY opinion.

Over the years I have enjoyed all three shows but I don’t think any of them are quite as good as they were earlier on. FG and AD are both funny/witty but very different styles of show. Then CS spun off. I watched it the whole time it’s been on. I don’t think it’s a bad show and had funny moments but it seems to ride too much on FG’s coattails and never really has enough of its own jokes and such to make it truly its own show.

In the meantime as CS is running FG and ADs quality were slipping. To me, FG jumped the shark after the CS spinoff and then the episode “Then there were fewer” the one where James Woods, Meriel Goldman, and Diane Simmons all died in a Whodunit spoof. Granted they were only minor characters but FG just hasn’t been quite as good since. The animation quality improved but the stories and jokes have mostly been lackluster at best. I think this is because Seth has too many irons in the fire. With so much going on something was bound to give.

In conclusion, last night’s episode(4-28-2013) Celvland was hanging around a cemetary. In the end he and Donna fell in an open grave and start love making. I do wonder if this a possible foreshadowing of CS’s cancellation?

23. Kevin says:

to me what made family guy unfunny was there are to many inside jokes or reference. i laugh at most of its jokes cause i know most of their reference.

24. Amanda says:

Are you guys for real? Cleveland show is awesome! it’s hilarious yet cute and interesting! Rallo is the best thing to have happened to to the world of comedy for a loooong time! Please , you cannot cancel the show! If I had to choose, i’d rather keep cleveland show than family guy! Many call this the black family guy… and therefor,, this is so much better! I LOVE CLEVELAND SHOW! it’s everything i’ve been looking and waiting for! DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW OR I WILL DIE!

25. Amanda says:

By the way, if the cleveland show is cancelled, does that mean we’ll never see Rallo again? I would litterally kill myself and you’d be responsible

26. Ethan says:

When it began I felt for the first season or two Cleveland Show was superior to Family Guy. I still love FG and they have some gems here and there, but they’ve been slipping for 3 seasons or so. American Dad however just gets better and bettr, and Roger is just amazing.

27. Chantelly says:

Ok so my favourite has ALWAYS been Family Guy. I tried to get into American Dad and there are some real brilliant episodes, but a lot of them (especially with dreadful episodes such as the “Bling” one in season 6) are just too random and ridiculous and seem to go absolutely no where. Both American Dad and the Cleveland Show, in my eyes, have characters that will never top those of Family Guy. I mean, Stewie beats Rallo by a long shot. Klaus will never compare to Quagmire. I will admit though, Francine probably beats Lois and Hayley is a stronger female character than Meg.

ANYWAY, I own 2 seasons of the Cleveland show. It’s definitely the worst of the three, with too many weird and pointless moments. It’s annoying when so many of the jokes, which could actually be funny, fall so flat.
    Cleveland himself has lost the docile nature we all loved him for in Family Guy. Rallo is…meh and Cleveland Junior is just irritating after a few episodes. I was kind of hoping they would bring Cleveland back to Family Guy. I think he would definitely be welcomed again. :)

28. Me says:

Boondocks enough said

29. deveal says:

Pissed…Cleveland show is superior to the random Family Guy antics. Donna alone is a reason to keep the show going. Love America Dad too…both shows are ny hightlights on Sunday

30. My Ass says:

I’ve been a long time fan of all three for years, but there’s one giant difference that needs to be made in opinions. Family Guy took a very odd turn with its storytelling and the parts with Stewie-Brian Dynamic are still good, but it looks a lot more now towards dramatic storylines in a comedy show where it just doesn’t seem to fit. They had an ongoing backplot of Peter and Lois’ dying marriage throughout the past couple seasons, and it just feels out of place and becomes more of a dramedy. American Dad SKYROCKETTED in quality when Fox took over the episode writing, and probably the only show that did so. Over the years in some regards its passed Family Guy in quality, and rightfully so. Cleveland Show…Really piggybacked on Family Guy, which A. Had a failing audience and B. Went the whole race route thing. Family Guy may have a huge audience but their target demographic is really small. They took the character we knew the least about, and cared the least about, and gave them their own show. It constantly battled for timeslots with Bob’s Burgers, and while its Fox’s fault to some degree it was a bad idea from the get go, even if the writing and episode quality did get kind of watchable at some instances. Most spin-offs fail for a reason because they piggyback on a demographic, highlight the weakest components of an already existing show, and target a demographic for one style of writing and storytelling with a completely different type of writing. Let’s hope this is a lesson to Fox, they have plenty of better shows. Don’t stoop yourselves to spin-offs.

31. AleashaMarie says:

Out of the Animation Domination lineup, The Cleveland show was by far the worst show. To me, it seemed like the black version of Family Guy, and that was the problem. I am a HUGE Family Guy fan. I know every word of he first seven seasons, but the quality of Family Guy has gotten so poor that I cringe when watching it, but I still watch it hoping for some of quality of the earlier seasons. The Cleveland Show, however, began with terrible quality. The Cleveland Show and Family Guy aren’t funny. American Dad is the opposite from the other two in the Seth McFarland trio. It is hilarious!!! If I had my way, I’d cancel everything in the Animation Domination lineup, EXCEPT Bob’s Burgers (which is my favorite) and American Dad.

32. Eric says:

WWWWWHHHHHYYYY Cleveland show is fun, hilarious, and even over the top at tiimes. I don’t get it, I love the show dont cancel

33. Robb Simon says:

I certainly will not miss the Cleveland Show. I don’t understand how the guys completely missed their mark on that one, but it was actually painful to watch. American Dad gets better each year. As for Family Guy, I still enjoy the show very much

34. IzzieM says:

Awww man, I’m going to miss the show if they kill it. It’s not the greatest one of the three but it was watchable, it wasn’t always funny, but I enjoyed it. Family Guy was good a long time a go but recently its been losing its luster. American Dad on the other hand, I just love. It seems to get better and better every season, I hope they keep up the great work.

If they are cancelling The Cleveland Show, I hope they bring Cleveland back to Family Guy along with his family. It would just be awesome to see them interact with the rest of the Family Guy cast, especially Stewie and Rallo.

35. Zack says:

American Dad just keeps getting better and better each season. Definitely Seth’s best work. Family Guy for me has just gotten old. Cleveland I always thought was a stretch. Watched maybe 2 episodes of it. I try not to miss American Dad though.

36. vera says:

AD sucks. I never understood that show. FG use to be good bit now its all about gay jokes. CS is ok, but I think it would be better on family guy.

37. matt barry says:

If u r reading this please send fox a letter to bring back clevlend show please for gods sake

38. matt barry says:

If you r reading this please write a letter to fox saynig you want the clevla
    nd show back for god sake

39. Posh says:

I don’t understand why Cleveland Show haters are even reading and commenting on this post. If you hate the show so much why do you even care if it continues or gets cancelled. At the end of the day we all just want to have a good laugh. I hope this isn’t true. I’m gonna miss Rallo so much.

40. Hugh Foster says:

Id say that Glen shoud get a crack at Roberta, just to be fair

41. Gary says:

This is B.S. Cleveland Show was one of the funniest cartoons. It’s way better than most of the stuff on CN.

42. Anonymous says:

They should have cancelled this show from the very start! Seriously, who thought that THIS was a good idea? Can we please cancel American Dad & Family Guy too?

@Posh
    Actually we DO care if it gets cancelled. The Cleveland Show is s hit, & so are Family Guy & American Dad

43. Zyon Voncourtlandt says:

The Cleveland Show cancels and Brian dies? Omg

44. You can’t cancel them only coz they’re black….you racist

45. Nicole says:

Okay, just who the (bleep!) do I talk to about this?? Are you kidding me!? Don’t do this to us, guys, this is Blasphemy!! I, as a regular and interested viewer, am saying NO to cancelling the Cleveland Show. So, NO!! Don’t do it guys, PLEASE. PLEASE. NO. NO!!

46. Stephanie says:

Noooo! I can’t believe they cancelled the show, it was a good show. Fox stinks!!!

47. Charles says:

SEth, this show of yours was really a mess. I really tried to watch it, really. However, in the end, it was just unwatchable. I like your style MacFarlane, so keep pitching and I will keep trying.

48. dick fart says:

the cleveland show sucked really bad, I gave it a chance in its first season watched a good maybe 8/9 episodes waiting for it to get good but it never happened, the only good episode they had was a christmas special with rallo and that old jew, they had a good back and forth with insults going on, they shoulda done the whole show on that, woulda worked