NCIS Boss Weighs In on Cote de Pablo's Status, Says Ziva's Perilous Arc Is Pure Coincidence

NCIS Will Ziva Return for Season 11That Agent Ziva David has embarked on a dangerous, season-ending mission to avenge her father’s death while portrayer Cote de Pablo is the only cast member not yet set to return to NCIS in the fall is pure coincidence, says showrunner Gary Glasberg.

“I have absolutely no qualms telling you that this storyline” — launched by the double murder of Eli David and NCIS director Leon Vance’s wife Jackie — “is something I was talking about last spring,” Glasberg asserts to TVLine.

RELATED | NCIS Spoilers on Mike Franks’ Return, McGee Meeting His Lookalike

“No, that’s not a game that I play,” putting a character in jeopardy when an actor’s status is TBD, he adds. “My job is to creatively keep the show going and do the best job that I can, and let other people work that stuff out. I’m all about the show.”

When last we tuned into TV’s most watched drama, Ziva had covertly set out to find Ilan Bodnar (played by Oded Fehr), the man she holds responsible for the deadly assault on Vance’s home. When the show returns next Tuesday to uncork the final four episodes of Season 10, “We send Ziva off, with Tony, on a clue trail that leads them to Berlin,” Glasberg previews. As things unfold, “This arc connects into the story that becomes the season ender and dovetails into what will propel us into Season 11.”

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: JAG Favorite to Return in This Season’s ‘Nail-Biter’ of a Finale

But will de Pablo be around for the already renewed next cycle? When series lead Mark Harmon inked a new deal for Season 11 back in February, it left the actress as the only series regular in limbo. (The last time de Pablo entered contract talks, in 2011, she didn’t re-sign until late April.)

“I actually have had very little input and interaction with [negotiations],” says Glasberg. “We knew that we had this whole Bodnar arc for the second half of the season, and we’ve all been very focused on that.

“I’m confident that things will work out [with de Pablo],” he continues, “and we’ll present the best finale that we can and go from there.”

RELATED | NCIS Season 10 Casts Star Trek: TNG‘s Marina Sirtis as Mossad Boss

And will this season’s finale — titled “Damned If You Do” and airing May 14 — be the sort that leaves Ziva and/or others in some sort of jeopardy? “There are absolutely issues that come up, situations that leave us asking, ‘How is the team going to move forward? How will things change within the team?'” the show boss teases. “I’m not going to let you down in terms of that!”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mary says:

I love NCIS! To loose anyone on the show would kill it! Ziva is so good on the show, without her it just wouldn’t be the same! So Please Don’t Kill Anyone Off!

2. JoJo says:

I don’t know what I would do if NCIS goes off the air or any of the characters leaves. This is the best show on any of the channels. I have been stuck on it since Season one and never miss a show. I even watch it in syndication every time it is aired. None of the characters can leave or change their character, they all fit so well.

3. misty Fingernagel says:

NCIS IS PEFECT JUST THE WAY IT IS! LEAVE THE TEAM ALONE AND DON’T MESS WITH A GOOD THING! I’VE BEEN A LOYAL,DIE HARD FOLLOWER SINCE DAY 1,AND I LOVE NCIS JUST THE WAY IT IS!

4. Miriam says:

Please, Cote, resign!!! The show is so great right now and the character of Ziva is so incredible. The changes wrought in both Ziva & Tony over the past couple seasons are so good. It would be heartbreaking to lose you, as an actress, and the character–my favorite even before Gibbs!

5. Alan says:

Let’s see now. Let the stars move on. Move on to what? Maybe they can work their way up to the top rated show on television. Whoops! They are already working on the top rated show on television. Maybe they could get endorsements and do commercials. No wait, Abby has been doing commercials. Maybe they could do a movie. I am all mixed up. Harmon just did a movie. Well, the could draw unemployment. Yeah, that’s it! I am increasingly amazed, just amazed.

• Marissa says:

Or they could take time off from 14 hour days and get married and have a family. Ms. Alexander quit the show to do just that and she’s done just fine. Ms. DePablo is engaged and has made comments in previous interviews that she’d like to have children young and take time away from acting to raise them.

6. Cathy says:

Ziva must come back, who else can keep Tony on the right path!

7. LeAnn says:

I really appreciate the interaction of the characters & I think the writers do a wonderful job playing them off one another.

8. LeAnn says:

As a mother I am very happy to not only see strong women portrayed (x director, high IQ, physical strength), but to also see the men interact w/ them in a professional way. Although, Tony has had a few off comments. I never doubted his respect for any co workers. As time has progressed his joking manner has slowed. I believe it is @ time for Ziva & Tony to get married. The last tease w/ her memory of her father is a great lead in. If the negotiations don’t work out they should leave things open for her return. Maybe a crisis w/ her remaining family & satellite talks. I read she is getting married. Great if she gets pregnant write it in. I suggest that the network set up a website for baby gifting w/ actual gifts going to organizations that help those in need. What a great way for the fans to interact & help at the same time. For example if you are from USA: state or UK: etc your gifts go local to help in your area. If they won’t or can’t do it now then they need to leave it open for a reunion show down the road. If they want to make us wait for a wedding make her more distant for awhile & then realize she could always count on Tony. Throughout the show it seems that when you thought 1 of them was ready the other either had issues or another love interest. Before the show ends the writers had better get them together. Maybe the top 3 should do what the friends cast did & ban together.

9. naomi key says:

De Pablo think’s she can’t be replaced, that’s why she is holding off signing, There are plenty of actress that are very good ,maybe even better . It would be nice to have someone to stand up to Gibbs in a nice way, I think viewers would get a kick out of that. Maybe Gibbs would smile more.

• Barbara Kimbler says:

To the person that commented on Cote DePablo is too good to sign thinking she can’t be replaced. is full of Baloney. I think since it’s so close to the end of the season that they are doing this to keep us all in suspense until next season. That’s what keeps us fans wanting more. I love seeing her on the show. and I don’t think they should have someone else to replace her just to make her out better than Gibbs. It would look too disrespectfull to Gibbs who is the team leader. That is his trait. Makes the show more interesting. Keep it like it is.

10. Kay says:

Well I do not believe that Ziva will be written off this year. I’ve noticed that for the past four years someone get’s bumped off. I heard that Director Vance was leaving after this season so I really think that Ziva will be back next season. I really hope they replace him with someone who knows what they are doing! I didn’t think that Vance’s replacement after his wife died was very believable. I also believe that before NCIS says it’s final goodbye Ziva and Tony will become a couple. I love the edginess of the show and I think the writers are wonderful!

11. Stacie says:

i was searchin to see if Ziva was coming back for next season and found this. HOLY CRAP there are alot of NCIS lovers out there!!i have only been watchin NCIS for about the last 5 years give or take, i never watched Kate shows until reruns on other channels so i wasnt affected by her leaving. i will tell you this NCIS will not be the same if ANY of the current characters leave and love my Mark Harmon and everybody else but i will stop watchin if anybody leaves. NONE of the characters are allowed to grow older or become sick, the show has to last til i die LMAO

12. akiko says:

tony should die on ncis, i know this is tv, but the way he acts like a child is something i cant see in a real life agent of any sort. And honestly he is annoying in every episode pretty much lol.

• marielena says:

I love the Tony character. I have worked with men like this in corporate America. Their “man-childness” serves to lighten up very stressful, intense work situations. I miss that type of personality now that I work in a female-dominated profession. I have seen his character grow up on the show. His love for Ziva and his work duties are very mature, IMO.

13. ann says:

I am sure they know if Ziva Is coming back next year. Gary Glasberg said he did not know now who is he kidding..He is the writer and he knows already what will happen to the Ziva character.I think she will go back to Isarel and work with Mosad..They will not kill her off..They killed Kate and I do not think Ziva will be number 2…

14. Jennifer says:

NCIS has been a favorite of mine ever since 2008. Didn’t start watching it til the sixth season. Even though I’ve only been a fan for about five years now, I still consider this show to be a big part of my life. The characters are like a second family to me and it would not be the same if someone were to up and leave next year. Cote, PLEASE sign your new contact and soon! This “leaving us hanging” crap is driving me nuts! LOL!

As for Tony being a “clown” well that’s who he is..and that’s what Ilvw most about him! I love a man with a sense of humor and Tony’s it for me! That man makes me smile and laugh all the time..he’s so crazy and I love him for being that way!! :) And I like it when Gibbs puts him in his place by the Gibbs slap!!! :)

NCIS leaving soon?? I think after year twelve maybe…but then again I don’t know cause I’m no producer or writer! This show is so successful now that I won’t be surprised if its around for another ten years!

15. Brandon Hess says:

iv heard rumors about Cote de Pablo on twitter that wish she would talk about on the news 3 or on ET Entertainment tonight the rumor is that she is pregnant and thats why she didnt want to go on the show for awhile and i would love to know the truth about it

16. B Gulde says:

I only watch a few shows, and this is one. Do not mess with NCIS And do not fix something that is not broken.

17. CyberGhosT says:

Kill off Vance, then Gibbs runs NCIS, Tony will get Gibbs old spot, marries Ziva and little Tony’s crawl all over lol :) what ? just sayin!

18. Todd Kelly says:

Reality check mark Harmon’s Gibbs is the glue and without him our infamous and lovable gunny there would be no NCis . That being said dinozzo, Abby, ducky, Vance and Palmer solidify that glue . Ziva is a great character who has teased tony to a fault, has Gibbs ‘s love and respect even though it was on false pretense at first and had tony Gibbs and McGee save her life even though massad couldn’t or wouldn’t so even though I do not want her to leave (still hoping for tiva) it would be ms de Pablo’s loss. Ours too yes but I think out of loyalty and all the acclaim she has received and her talents showcased she should give us at least one more year to resolve having little tivas and then she could exit the shoe to everyone’s satisfaction so please Ziva ms de Pablo give us that.

19. John R. Grout says:

I hope E. J. Barrett is not brought back as a replacement for Ziva.

20. Cyrene Olson says:

She’s not leaving. She’s signed on, it’s on her official Facebook page.

• Marissa says:

She has no official FB presence, and no media outlets have reported her signing, nor has the cast. Tv Line, or Tv Guide would report contract news.

• Cyrene Olson says:

Yes she does have an official FB page.

• Marissa says:

Really? Then when Pauley and CDP’s fiance say she doesn’t have an official fan facebook (or twitter) presence, are they lying?

• Julie Merritt says:

I am glad Cote has an official FaceBook Page. I guess we have to wait until the New Season to find out if she has signed

• Marissa says:

Julie, according to the verified cast and crew of the show she does *not* have an official FB (or twitter) presence, I’d believe the real Pauley, Brian, Michael and Rocky, over any fans. Why would they lie?

• Julie Merritt says:

I am glad

21. Julie Merritt says:

Wait and let CBS and Gary Glasberg say when last show is.

22. Gene Briere says:

Zive Ziva Ziva………hate to see you go gal. You really made NCIS show with your witt and humor. and sepecciall your talant I;m probably one of your oldest true fans (68) you will be missed and if they don’t kill you off on your final show I well be searching for you next project Best of luck sweetie, love ya and loved you storylines. God I love you.
    Gene B of the Berkshires.

23. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually recognise what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally talk over with my website =). We may have a link alternate agreement between us

24. KarinaNoEar says:

I have heard a few people say they will stop watching if Cote leaves… I personally have thought the same at some point, as we have already lost so many great characters and I would hate to lose more. Infact, I’m still grieving over Mike Franks, and having Jackie, Eli and possibly Ziva added onto that list? I don’t think I’ll be watching until we have passed a season or two. But really thinking about it, Cote may have not signed yet, but think back to the season 9-10 hiatus; we were sure that David was a goner and that Cote and Michael’s characters were going to hook up (like usual).
    Well, anyway. Here’s for the eleventh season! *headslap*

• Julie Merritt says:

I can understand Cote wanting to move on. I wish her well, but will keep watching. The other actors on the show are great, like Abby, Palmer, Ducky.

25. mickey says:

GIBBS RULE 11 – WHEN THE JOB IS DONE WALK AWAY– RULE 12- NEVER DATE A COWORKER HE DID THIS HIS SELF & WHAT JENNY DID TO HIM WHEN THEY WORKED TOGETHER WAS HURTFUL TO HIM.ZIVA IS TOO SMART FOR TONY,ALL HE KNOWS IS HIS MOVIES & THINKS THATS IMPRESSIVE, HES A GOOD COP & I SAY COP BECAUSE THATS WHAT HE ACTS LIKE NOT AN AGENT.IT S TONYS LOSS & HIS OWN FAULT THAT HE WONT HAVE ZIVA, OR I SHOULD SAY HE COULDNT STAND IT WHEN SOMEELSE SHOWED AN INTEREST,JEALOUSY WAS SOMETHING HE ADMITTED, HE COULDNT TAKE IT TO SEE HER WITH SOMEONE ELSE.AS CLOSE AS HE & GIBBS ARE PEHAPS HE SHOULD HAVE WENT TO TALK TO HIM ABOUT ZIVA.YOU KNOW WHAT PEOPLE WE ALL GOT SOAR WHEN HEARING ZIVA IS LEAVING. WE CAN ALL REMEMBER HER FOR HER BEAUTY & HER TERRIFIC ACTING,& PERHAPS THATS WHAT ALL HER CO WORKERS ARE , JEALOUS OF. THEY SAY THEY ARE LIKE FAMILY WELL REAL FAMILYS DO HAVE ISSUES AMONG THEM DONT THEY. TONY NEEDS TO GROW UP ALREADY,ABBY IS NOT A CHILD WITH THE FORE HEAD KISS ALREADY–OH & THATS WHAT TONY DID TO ZIVA IN THE END REMEMBER,I LIKE DUCKY BUT ITS TIME TO STOP TALIKNG TO THE DEAD,ITS TOO FAR FETCHED,I THINK ,PALMER NEEDS TO GET MATURE,IN A BIG WAY SOON,HES TOO GOOFY TO TAKE OVER DUCKYS JOB,REMEMBER DUCKYS WILL..SO HE HAS TO LEAVE BEFORE NCIS IS OVER,MC GEE IS THE BEST A LITTLE ANNOYING WITH BE SO TECHINCAL BUT PUTS THINGS WHERE THE TEAM CAN GET THE CONCEPT OF THE JOB AT HAND COOL GUY & SMART ,I LOVE NCIS & I WILL MISS ZIVA,SHE WILL ALWAYS BE A PART OF NCIS,BECAUSE NO ONE WILL FORGET HER. MIC

26. tamera says:

Please don’t let Ziva go. She has made us laugh and cry for so many reasons. Don’t just let de Pablo walk away from the set. She is one of the characters who made NCIS have millions of viwers. I hope sge is just put into a coma until she changes her mind (on the show of course). I may or I may not still watch the show if she does leave. Tony needs her she has made him mature as an Agent and person. Gibs Abby Vance McGee Ducky and Palmer needs her too. Please dont just let de Pablo walk away from one of the best shows in the world.

27. lewis says:

the last episode I watched there was a explosion at headquarters and ducky collapsed on the beach what happens next.

• Julie Merritt says:

Since then Eli David was Killed of which The CIA had a hand and Director of Iran’s Intelligence was killed by the CIA who tried to frame Mossad. Ziva killed the man who killed her father. Gibbs has been sent to clean up the CIA’s mess

28. M,J. says:

PLEASE…NO, do not let her go and for heaven’s sake PLEASE do not even think of replacing her with Jamie Leigh-Curtis. If so; I quit! Just hope it works out with “Ziva”.
    What a team. Of course I can always watch reruns. /M.J. Dehner-Pearsey

• Julie Merritt says:

Mj CBS tried to keep her. They offered her mire money and Mark Harmon tried, but she did not want to stay. I hope it will be Diane Neal as Agent Borin. Also Cote would want you to stay with the show.

29. Charles Thomas says:

It was bad enough when “Caitlin” left and now? our Ziva, its typicle of shows these days , they think they no what the viewers want when all it is is what they want.
    Many if Ziva goes will stop viewing NCIS as its one big team and they merge so well.

yours unhappily

• Julie Merritt says:

Charlie the Producers and Writers wanted her to stay. They have nothing to do with the Contracts. CBS does and they wanted her to stay. They kept offering her more money. Botto line was she did not want to stay with the show and Glasburg is not going to kill Ziva.

• Julie Merritt says:

also Sasha Richardson who portrayed Caitlin wanted to leave the show and she wanted Caitlin killed off. I think Glasburg is leaving the door open for Cote if she wants to return.

• Barbara Kimbler says:

Cote is the one that is wanting off. But not being killed off. So at least we might have a chance that she will come back. Hopefully. Love her on the show. But I will still watch it no matter what.

• Marissa says:

Perhaps you missed where it was the actress’ decision to depart the show. Her decisions are her own.

• Julie Merritt says:

Marissa that is what I have been telling them. They choose to ignore and i am not making anymore comments on Caitlin and Ziva. What I am interested in is seeing who Gibbs was sent to take out. i and others think it is either Jarvis or Doctor Samantha Ryan.

30. Julie Merritt says:

The Producers and writers wanted Cote to stay. They have nothing to do with the contracts. CBS does and they wanted her to stay. They offered her more money, but she did not want to stay with the show.

31. Julie Merritt says:

Ree They tried to keep her, but she wouldn’t stay.

32. Norma says:

This is the greattest show ever♥♥♥♥, ive been trying to cope with ziva no longer being in the show but i cannot picture the show without her. This NCIS show cant be replace by any other show. Love these people, GIBBS, ZIVA, ABBY, TONY, McGEE, DUCKY. I realize that life has to go on but, this show NCIS, for me it will defenitly always be part of my home, despite that the show is over. NCIS is like those movies that no matter how many times you see them you will always watch it again. :-)

• Julie Merritt says:

Norma the show isn’t over, and the show will go on without Ziva. All of the cast and characters are the stars, not just one. Most of us like Ziva, but characters move on and as fans we need to accept that. This show isn’t about Ziva, it is about NCIS.