Defiance Delivers Syfy's Highest-Rated Scripted Premiere Since 2006, Dallas Ends On Up Note

Syfy Defiance TrailerHere’s something to dance in slow motion about: Syfy’s Defiance on Monday night gave the cabler its highest-rated scripted series premiere since Eureka’s July 2006 bow, drawing 1.3 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demo.

In total viewers, Defiance delivered 2.7 million, marking Syfy’s biggest premiere audience since Warehouse 13 opened its doors in July 2009.

Defiance, which launched with a two-hour premiere, airs Mondays at 9/8c. Starting April 29, Warehouse 13‘s Season 4.5 will lead out of it, at 10 pm.

RELATED | Julie Benz on Playing Defiance‘s ‘Badass’ Mayor and Not Being ‘The Sexy One’

UPDATE: Over on TNT, Dallas‘ double-episode Season 2 finale did 2.8 mil/0.8 and 3.0 mil/0.9, TVByTheNumbers reports, up 30 and 20 percent from a week prior (where a double-pump averaged 2.2 mil/0.7) and on par with the season opener (3 mil/0.8).

RELATED | Dallas Season Finale Recap: The J.R. Mystery Is Solved — Plus: Did Pam Ewing Return?

1. chris says:

That’s a relief. Despite some cheesy dialogue I thought it was pretty good, and I’m hooked on the game (it’s really interesting how they tie it into the show). I hope they both continue to do well.

• Martine says:

Defiance had pretty bad ratings, so I don’t really know what you mean by “well”. I have never played the game, and I am sure its good, but its kind of annoying to have a show tell me that its OK for a human to treat aliens like they were humans and welcome them to steal our resources. I would think any sane humans would simply oil them before they opened their whatever they use to talk, now thats a show I would watch. This is like some preachy liberal nonsense that bores me silly. And oh my goodness are those aliens ugly. Even if they do have riots. Can’t wait for this show to fail like Alphas.

2. paul says:

What about Dallas?

3. cjeffery7 says:

i liked Defiance!! it’s like a mix of Firefly and Star Trek: DS9, with a little bit of Battlestar thrown in for good measure.

• M3rc Nate says:

I agree with this. That fact however makes it hard for them to not hit all the cliche sci-fi marks and do the same stuff as BSG, ST, Firefly. So far the thing i like most is the main character and his daughters relationship. It seems deep and complex and her being an alien and w/e her backstory is…it doesnt remind me of anything, its fresh-ish.
      I really dont get how in the future with Aliens…you can just walk into a bar and bang a prostitute and not be worried about catching something (STD).

• Martine says:

Except for the fact that there is no action, and no likeable characters and stupid face plastic aliens, sure. Can I ask; What do you like?

• cjeffery7 says:

“stupid face plastic aliens.” HAHAHA well it’s certainly not perfect, but i find it entertaining nonetheless. beyond that i don’t think anything i can say is gonna help you see my POV. different strokes.

4. shuayb says:

Well I’m glad that it did well considering the publicity syfy gave the show.

5. Beefyamazeballs says:

I wonder if the people that hit fail, are the same morons that like white trailer trash tv :/

• Martine says:

No. I actually love well scripted drama. I just don’t like bad writing, terrible acting and stupid premises. I don’t even mind silly make up. In fact “Grimm” is one of my favorite shows, “Person of Interest” being another. I really found no good qualities in this show.
      I hate the premise; Why would humans ever consider allowing some aliens to even come close to our planet. Its OURS. Not theirs. If the humans were sane and killing the plastic nosed creatures this might be a fun show. But instead we get some stupid preachy ” just give everything to whoever wants to take it” BS. We were there first, that should count for everything in my book. Its just stupid liberal preachiness to try to convince people that illegal aliens are just fine.
      I hate the absolutely boring and cliche “angry teenage daughter” dialogue. And why is that derelict hanging around with the ugly plastic nosed trollop? Can’t he sire a human daughter? So basically enjoy your rip off of Dodge City where you have writers telling you how wonderful it is to work together with aliens who showed up and raped the planet because we were not quick enough to give them our stuff. But it will be cancelled even quicker then Alphas. I hope. I have yet to hear one original good thing this failure brings to the table. Its too bad. I was kind of hoping for something with great action and good characters. Not cliche, tired BS.

• Craig says:

Youre kinda personal about how much you don’t like this show. I got an idea, don’t watch it. Who are you? Neck beard.

6. Mila says:

Pissed @ Syfy for delaying the season finale of “Lost Girl”, so they could air this 2 hour premiere. You really couldn’t have waited another week??

• Alan says:

they dont own lost girl, they own this, that means they get more money from this, its just business.

• Jason says:

Can’t you just wait another week? They obviously want to be able to promote this show while Lost Girl is still airing.

• Simon Jester says:

Lost Girl was supposed to finish up last week, but when Showcase in Canada preempted it for a week in early Feb., the Syfy schedule was pushed back a week, too. This one’s entirely on the Canucks.

7. Jason P says:

Defiance reminds me of Adventure Time mixed with Game of Thrones dressed up like High Plains Drifter. And as human actors are generally cast for the roles, the non-human characters still look way too human. Not bad but needs improvement.

8. Alan says:

i give it a solid B. a little rough around the edges but there is definitely something to work with there. i suppose ive now got another tv series to watch.

9. Lola says:

At this point I’m just happy it’s a real, honest-to-god Science Fiction show and not wrestling or ghost chasing! It needs some work but I think it will be decent. Plus, it has Jaime Murray…that’s already a win in my book!

10. Susan Honig says:

I thought the premiere of Stargate Atlantis had the highest way back in 2004?

11. Greg says:

I wouldn’t call this show awesome. I really really hoped that it would be the same quality as BSG. However, I am glad that @syfy is actually putting something out that could be classified as scifi.. So cuddos there…

12. Susan Honig says:

That is why I brought it up. Sga premiered with over 4 mil leaving them all in the dust. Let’s notbforgetbthat awesome show.

13. wrstlgirl says:

Loved Defiance with one small exception. I thought the Doctor character was terrible. I can overlook that since the rest was far better but I found her very annoying and idiotic. Hopefully she won’t be on much.

• Nick says:

I had the exact opposite reaction…I loved her, even said to myself I hope we see more of her…go figure

• Alan says:

then i have good news for you, she is a main character on the show thankfully. hopefully her role is bigger than “snarky doctor who takes no crap” in future episodes.

• wrstlgirl says:

I can except that. I just found her “snarky” ridiculous and so not funny. Again……annoying. Give her something to do other than that crap and I’ll probably enjoy the character.

• Plum says:

I liked the doc, but this morning I realized who she reminded me of; a sassy Odo. I don’t mind, it’s fun to see what Odo would have looked like as a girl with attitude.

• Lola says:

I really like her too. Don’t know what it is about SciFi but the doctors usually end up being some of my favorite characters. ( Bones, Dr Franklin(B5), Dr. Crusher, The holographic doctor on Voyager, Janet of SG1 and Dr. Beckett from SGA) None of them ever took crap from anybody. Well, maybe Beckett…poor Beckett.

• jenny t says:

I could not agree more! I really enjoyed the rest of the characters and the show in general, but the doctor only delivered heavy-handed, campy “jokes”. Every time she showed up, I groaned internally. Why do they insist on adding so much camp with one character?

14. Babygate says:

So, about Dallas…I thought it was an awesome finale. It tied up the ongoing story of who killed JR, whether or not Christopher’s mother was alive, Panels found out that her dad knew she was on the rig and Drew kind of sort of redeemed himself. But it also opened the door to the next arc without a huge cliffhanger. I hope it comes back later in the summer though. That’s when it got its strongest ratings. And that John Ross sure is a scoundrel. I love this show. It doesn’t get a lot of press or hype but it is entertaining, exciting and engaging. Plus, love the characters.

15. Ettie says:

Does this make Defiance the highest rated video game commercial of all time?

• Alan says:

well since the video games story has nothing to do with the series besides a little bit of backstory for why nolan is where he is it didnt feel like a video game commercial to me, definitely doesnt have an effect on whether im buying it or not

16. K says:

I would have given the Dallas finale an A if it had ended about three minutes sooner…

• Jen says:

Yes it was absolutely terrific up until that horrible John Ross twist at the end. It was so out of left field and totally ruined the whole thing for me :(

17. Jason says:

HAs Dallas Been renewed for Season 16 yet?

18. James says:

I really enjoyed it I mean parts of it were prosaic, and the CGI wasn’t great but it really like the diversity in alien species and the fact they live with and around humans, definitely worth a watch. liked both Grant Bowler and Stephanie Leonidas.

19. Mel says:

I thought Defiance was great. It was new and interesting. It has a little of bit of everything I love – scary aliens, good aliens, cool weapons, and family drama.

• Plum says:

So true; a little Terra Nova with the family stuff, but just when I thought the teen angst might get annoying they ***** the brattiest teen, which to me said they ain’t messing around. Defiance reminded me of pretty much every sci-fi show I loved, from Trek to Stargate to Revolution so I’m already hooked.

20. Tj says:

What does the future hold for Continum?
    I really enjoyed the premise and the actors.

21. Plum says:

Just when I think MM can’t make me pee myself yet again with the quips, I find myself dancing in slow motion to the ladies before I lose my Poise.

I loved the show, I got the Blade Runner shout outs, and the father-daugther-arrives-in-quirky-town-in-need-of-new-sheriff trope was very Eureka, and I loved it. It was like Battlestar and Babylon 5 had a beautiful baby.

The wigs could use some work, but I loved the aliens, the story and the characters.

22. val wiggin says:

Defiance seems like a mix of failed sci fi shows..in particular failed abc ones like revolution or whatever that show was called…at times seemed like a modern scifi cowboy boys vs indians show…what the show defiance said to me was we ran out of ideas…why not try mixin bunch failed shows in hope of a sucess…sry syfy but fail +fail = fail …Duh!

23. steve says:

Defiance was ok. I would have preferred that Blood and Chrome was giving the go ahead, that looked better. Seemed to be a BSG come Star wars action show, faster paced than BSG. Looked very good, i would be hanging out each week for a B&C epsiode. Defiance i can watch so far but not as anxious to see it as B&C webisodes were to me. I want another series back in space rather than another grotty earth town show. OR bring back Firefly!

24. the x says:

i want to see future alien technology on the show not 1990s technology.i want to see real aliens not aliens that look way too human.where are all the advance alien technologies.