Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

CHERYL BURKE, D.L. HUGHLEYIf – and this is a big if – you’re wacky enough to obsess over the Dancing With the Stars‘ Judges’ Leaderboard, then you knew heading into Week 5 results that bottom dwellers Andy Dick and D.L. Hughley seemed most likely to walk the sequined plank.

After all, both out-of-their-element comedians scored dismal 18s during Monday’s Side-by-Side-themed competition – even the mundane Victor Ortiz earned a comparatively respectable 21 — and despite occasional bursts of promise, neither have a Mirrorball’s chance in hail of getting anywhere near the finale.

But after 16 wild and wacky seasons, even the most fleeting DWTS viewer knows that anything is possible when it comes to the tricky combo of judges’ scores and viewer votes. Which isn’t to say one couldn’t strongly believe this would be D.L.’s last tango in Tinseltown, right? Right?

With the pain of the Boston Marathon bombings lingering over the country, this week’s live results show veered towards a lighter tone, complete with the requisite behind-the-scenes clips (the squabbling Chmerkovskiy brothers was my fave), and a trio of performances by The Band Perry, Kerli (great choice, DWTS producers!), and Selena Gomez (was she lip syncing?).

But without further ado, here’s the real moment of truth — tonight’s results:

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson
Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold
D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold
D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke

ELIMINATED
D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke

“I’ve had a ball, I’ve played with house money,” said D.L., who added that he went further than he ever expected. But before thanking Cheryl, he hilariously turned the tables on his nemesis Len Goodman (after seeing his moves in highlight package clip) with this parting zinger. “You need to work on your hip action.” Oh snap, D.L., you get a ’10′ for that!

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight — or was it indeed D.L.’s time? After his encore dance, does anyone have Jacoby Jones as a Mirrorball darkhorse pick? Are you looking forward to a Team “Pickler Dick” next week? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (21)

• I’m sorry DL got the boot this week! He had really improved. I probably won’t watch anymore, just follow online. #TeamDL

Comment by valeriel40 – April 16, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like DL, and he was slowly, slowly improving. Just much too slowly. It was definitely his time to say goodbye.

Comment by Callitags – April 17, 2013 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The squabbling Chmerkovskiy brothers” should be a reality show – Seacrest and E! should make that happen!

Comment by Tess – April 16, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would never miss apn episode

Comment by Anne TM – April 16, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep…it was D.L.’s time…it is a dancing Competition, and no matter how much we love a Celebrity or feel for them, in the end, only the strongest Dancers dhould remain….and D.L. was the weakest, albeit the funniest, link….he improved, and should be proud :}

Comment by Michelle – April 16, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was time to go. He didn’t have a chance of winning and he reached his limit on what he could do. I’m a big fan of Cheryl Burke and just sorry that she had to go also.

Comment by Greg Benton – April 16, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still hoping Victor Ortiz wins, just because I feel the need to support Lindsay, or any former So You Think You Can Dance contestant.

Comment by GTS – April 16, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I love Lindsay! It was also good seeing Witney dancing in the side by side with Aly this week.

Comment by Em – April 16, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dancing with the Stars, I always wanted to dance that way and I wish the show would have a contest for a viewer to have an opportunity to dance. My comment is to say I LOVE THE JUDGES! IT’S GREAT TO SEE A TEAM THAT WORK WELL TOGETHER. I DO NOT HEAR ANY DRAMA BETWEEN THEM , NO OFF THE SET CONTROVERSY OR NEWS STORIES ABOUT THEM . I SEE THEM HAVING A GREAT TIME. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JUDGES MORE SHOWS NEED TO FOLLOW.
    LOVE YOU ,
    DELLA

Comment by Della Estrada – April 16, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was time for DL to leave. He did well but was not one of the better dancers

Comment by Veronica – April 16, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on AMCPress.

Comment by AMCPress – April 16, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The right couple definitely left, but after this week’s show, it was sad to see anyone leave. This, in my opinion, was the best show of the season. Properly respectful of everything going on in Boston, this group of people put on a show designed to distract from the horrific news. Having Maks and the other pros back were a major boost. Really well done this week!

Comment by Bobbi – April 17, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the right couple went home… he tried, but even Cheryl could not save him. Let’s face, it DL could not dance. The top three is really a no brainer with Zyenda, Kelly and Jacobe… and yes, he is a hard horse for the win because, let’s face it, NFL stars do really well on this show. Finally, sign me up for the Maks and Val show… they are awesome together!

Comment by RUCookie – April 17, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jacoby could win it all. He is quite good (lack of pointed feet excepted) and has a large fan base.

Comment by chistosa – April 17, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody who doesn’t think Selena was lip-syncing, stand on your head

Comment by welcome back Maks!! – April 17, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too believe that it was DLs time to head out. I think Ortiz should be next… and unless Andy makes an impressive jump he will go after that. And yes I think that Selena Gomez was lip synching… if you watch her mouth moving and hear the words from the opening bars you can absolutely tell she is lip synching.

Comment by H.Houston – April 17, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, at least they turned on the microphone at the end so you could hear her heavy breathing a time or two. And I believe the band was faking it as well..

Comment by gofinsc – April 18, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you ask me, the Band Perry was also lip syncing, which they’ve admitted to before.

Comment by Gene – April 17, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think DL was the right one to go this week. I personally think he’s been very whiny and rude for the whole time he’s been on the show, almost as if the fact that he wasn’t doing better was everyone else’s fault and not down to his lack of dancing skill or progress.
    I agree that it’s unlikely that Andy or Victor will win but at least they seem to be entering into the spirit of the show, and I enjoy watching both their dancing and the rehearsal clips etc…

Comment by Ally_D – April 17, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DL was very whiny and blamed everyone but himself and I didn’t find him as funny because he was so bitter towards the judges. I love Jacoby and Zyenda and Kelli and I want Maks back!!. I loved seeing Whitney and Lindsey too!!

Comment by Lana – April 17, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy has a lot more enthusiasm, and Victor seems to have more grace and style, so DL was really the most likely to go based on ability. However, that doesn’t usually have much to do with who stays and who goes. The fan votes don’t either. It’s the producers who make the choices for highest ratings. How can anyone verify the vote totals? YOU CAN’T.

Comment by gofinsc – April 18, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post