The Voice Recap: A 'Battle' at the Better-Than-OK Corral [Updated]

The Voice Judith Hill Karina Iglesias Battle Rounds“It’s always easier if somebody craps the bed,” said Blake Shelton, typically unfiltered and funny, during Night 1 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds.

And given the bombings at today’s Boston Marathon, the country coach’s homespun (albeit crass) humor was a brief but welcome respite from the horrific images that came through our TV screens all day.

But Blake’s words also rang quite true: Of the six Battles featured, no single contestant gave a truly off-pitch or uninspired performance — and several simply came down to matters of individual coaches’ personal tastes.

Speaking of personal tastes, it’s time for me to weigh in on the night’s proceedings: I’ve ranked each individual battle from least- to most-promising winner, as I often do:

Team Blake: The Swon Bros defeat Christian Porter on Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” (No Steal? Srsly?) | Am I crazy for thinking Christian — with his outsized stage presence and more daring vocal delivery, had the edge over the in-tune but not-particularly-distinctive Swon Bros? At the very least, Blake should’ve warned contestants in the Blind Auditions about his new motto, “stick with what I know” (AKA, all else being equal, the country singer wins). Hmph. We’ll always have Christian’s “Sexy and I Know It,” I guess.

Team Usher: Jess Kellner defeats Taylor Beckham on Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Good” (Taylor stolen by Blake) | I thought these ladies sounded perfectly fine, but lacked the sexuality and desperation of Winehouse’s original (which, granted, isn’t an easy combo to capture). Plus, Jess’s hinky pronunciations (“burns” as “boyns”?) and Taylor’s squeaky upper register started to grate after about 30 seconds (though not as much as Usher framing their sing-off as a “catfight.” Gross.) My only thought on their parallel advance is that judges need cannon fodder for the Knockout Rounds, too.

Team Shakira: Garrett Gardner defeats J’Sun on The Heavy’s “How You Like Me Now?” | J’Sun had the cleaner vocal, but he seemed too preoccupied with sizing up his duet partner to really get inside the song. Garrett, despite a couple of rough edges, simply outperformed his rival — and better embodied the number’s growling swagger in the process.

Team Blake: Holly Tucker defeats Michelle Raitzin on Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away” | It’s not easy coloring inside Carrie Underwood’s lines, but Holly and Michelle undoubtedly proved they’ve got the necessary horsepower. To my ears though, Michelle’s R&B-tinged runs made her version a little more intriguing than Holly’s dead-ahead interpretation. Maybe that headband did Michelle in? Holly, nevertheless, could be a contendah!

Team Adam: Amber Carrington defeats Sasha Allen on Pink’s “Try” (Sasha stolen by Shakira) | If you’d have told me beforehand that Amber was destined to defeat Sasha, I’d have told you Adam was committing Amanda Brown-level crimes again this season. (Come on — if he’d been more enthusiastic about the “Dream On” chica in Season 3, she could’ve won the whole thing.) But that’s why the Battle Rounds are held in a boxing ring, not on paper. Inexperienced Amber matched Sasha power note for power note while also doing a better job of riding the beat and bringing the song’s central angst to life. Don’t get me wrong: I’m stoked Shakira used her Steal on Sasha — that woman’s got tone for days and never misses a note — but her more stylized, operatic approach wasn’t a great fit for “Try.” Plus, it’ll be fun watching Adam torment Blake with his own country diva.

Team Adam: Judith Hill defeats Karina Iglesias on James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (Karina stolen by Shakira) | This looked like a major mismatch on paper, too: Judith’s Blind Audition was probably the buzziest of Season 4, while Karina’s was a pitchy mess. But I’d be lying if I said that when the ladies finished tearing into the James Brown anthem, I wasn’t finding it impossible to choose a winner. Sure, Judith had the technical edge — making hairpin turns with her Mack-truck sized voice, but there was a longing in Karina’s voice (perhaps fueled by the fear and anger of being used as Battle Round chum) that made her rendition deeply compelling as well. Good for Shakira for not buring her Steal in the sand and instead using it when the spirit moved her. Voters do like a “most improved” story arc, so don’t count Karina out yet. Judith, meanwhile, looks and sounds like she’s ready to stroll onto the set of her debut video: But will that seeming advantage ultimately hurt or help her with voters?

On that note, I turn things over to you: Who were your favorites from Night 1 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds? Were there any decisions with which you disagreed? Did Shakira use her “Steals” too quickly, or were Sasha and Karina too good to let go? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Danny says:

I’m liking the Voice this year. I loved it last year too. For what it’s worth, I’d say all the Voice duets were better than any American Idol duet. Yet the best of them all tonight, It’s a Man’s World wasn’t as good as Joshua Ledet did last year on AI.

And I hope this isn’t out of line or too off topic, but my thoughts are with the tragedy in Boston. For all we disagree on who’s better or worse, in the end this is a bunch of people singing for a few minutes. In the scope of life it’s not really a big deal who wins this thing.

2. kavyn says:

Shakira made the right call. Sasha and Karina both deserved to be save, and I’m glad Sasha chose Shakira.

Also IMO Christian won over the Sway Brothers (they sounded good but they were like Christian’s background singers in comparison).

• Snow says:

That is exactly what I thought about Christian and the Swon Brothers as well! They looked like his band.

• Terry says:

Maybe but did you not see Christian’s hair? That is the worst hair cut I’ve ever seen! No way could Blake justify having that hair on his team. lol

• Teeny Bikini says:

Shakira really used her saves well. Amazing. I think she has a great chance of winning now! This is gonna be good.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah she really did well for herself with these saves.
        A pretty great night, maybe enough to get The Voice a weekly video too?
        Certainly a nice thing to see after all the horror of the day. Best wishes for everyone in Boston everyone is thinking of you!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Oh, how I would love a Voice video. And yes, it is a solemn night in the wake of current events. Indeed the hearts of the nation go out to Boston.

• Danny says:

Hit- I agree. A video for this show too would be awesome. If I remember it right they did one last year, except it was combined w/ AI’s video. So Michael, 1 for AI + 1 for the Voice please.

• Jan1 says:

Or just ditch AI’s. :-)

• The Beach says:

Yessiree…Shakira played that really smartly and nabbed two of the best of the night for her team. Blake surprised me twice. First by picking the Swon Bros over Christian and second by saving Taylor. Although she hit her notes, I thought her voice was really thin.

• Aiden says:

I felt the same way! Christian out-performed them, in my opinion, with a more dynamic vocal and certainly better stage presence.
      My only thought then was that maybe, since it’s obvious The Voice sometimes cuts a performance down, some of the pitchy moments the coaches were talking about were left on the editing floor. Maybe his good moments were the only ones shown? Because otherwise it just doesn’t make sense for the coaches to not even steal him.
      It’s a real shame since I could see him selling records with a combination of charisma, talent, and willingness to learn and improve his performance style.

• Lee says:

I agree. I felt Christian was a lot better than the brothers. (One of the brothers hardly even sang.) It seemed like the coaches went with the underdogs instead of the heavy weights, such as Christian and Sasha.

3. Danny says:

I’ve only been watching for 2 years, but this is the first time I’ve pretty much agreed w/ every person the judges picked. The only save I would have used would have been on Karina though.
    I might have saved Michelle on Blown Away. That was my 2nd favorite of the night. I also thought Carrie nailed in back at the Country Music Award show. Had I not heard that so recently, Blown Away might have been my favorite of the night.

• Teeny Bikini says:

The judges are unilaterally killing it this year. They are really professional and it seems like they all want to win!

• The Beach says:

Except why would Adam pair those two to battle it out? They were two of his strongest singers. I think he may live to regret that decision (like Cee Lo last year with Amanda Browne).

4. Keith says:

The need to stop calling it a steal.The other coaches are picking a singer that their original coach got rid-that’s not a steal

• Danny says:

Right, but “Save” is being used by AI. So they’ve got to call it something else. Plus, “Steal” has a better sound to it than “save.” It’s a subtle difference, but it’s more of an action word.

• JW says:

Its their show, their word.

• rwfblog says:

I agree with Keith that the word “steal” is technically inaccurate. You cannot steal something that someone else discarded and said anyone can have. That said, the show made it’s choice for the word, and they won’t be changing it. “Pickup” would be more accurate, but it doesn’t have an emotional punch. Perhaps the producers could have chosen “revive”. It is accurate, has a punch, and, from a contestant’s point of view, it fits their emotion at that point in time extremely well.

• Zod says:

Well they also call the coaches’ singers their “teams” even though the “teammates” are eliminating each other through the first round of live voting. It’s just simple shorthand.

5. dj says:

That battle between Judith and Karina was amazing. I was glad that Karina got stolen, because they both deserved to move on, and I’m glad we get to hear each of them again. I felt like vocally they were both incredible, but Judith has such style. That gave her the edge.

• Teeny Bikini says:

It was clear that Karina was always gonna be fodder for Judith since he picked her. Adam is very obvious about who is he’s gonna pick to stay. Anyway, yay Karina. I didn’t really like her audition, but she really came a long way tonight.

• JW says:

I agree, though I think Karina may have over-sold it with the runs. Judith had some subtle moments in there, played with dynamics. Karina was a bull right outta the gate and didn’t stop…awesome, but maybe too much in comparison.

• Gale says:

Judith won on charisma, stage presence, and having sung with Michael. I think she will win it.

6. MariMari says:

Judging by the audience reaction for Christian, I think it was dumb that nobody stole him (Adam).

• Calli says:

Agreed. I thought he was perfect for Adam. Great job in the battle round, and a real show of creativity in the original audition. Sad to see him go.

• Rain says:

Agreed, I was really surprised that Adam didn’t steal Christian. While I liked the whole performance, I really thought Christian brought more entertainment value.

7. The two biggest decisions I disagreed with tonight was choosing Garrett over J’Sun and Blake stealing Taylor. Taylor has a pretty voice, but I’m not sure she’ll go very far in the competition.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Taylor has always had a reedy, squeaky voice to me. I wanted her to leave. Thanks, Blake.

• Sara says:

I really dislike Taylor. Mostly I am super annoyed that they keep calling her a former Olympic hopeful. She quit gymnastics before she got anywhere CLOSE to being an Olympic hopeful. It just irks me. I am not that big of a fan of her voice, either.

• Danny says:

I agree w/ a lot of what you’re saying. Saying she was an Olympic hopeful would be like saying I was an NHL hopeful. I wouldn’t have saved her either. So those 2 things I agree w/ ya on.
        I don’t dislike her though. It’s not her who’s always saying she was an Olympic hopeful. She probably gave the producers that info not realizing they were going to keep using it. So I’m not holding that against her. It’s not her fault. And at least it isn’t someone who’s died/sick/some sob story they keep saying about her.

• rwfblog says:

I agree with you about J’Sun. Definately thought he was better. And then I was surprised no one “stole” him.

• Rain says:

I was so angry about Garrett winning over J’Sun and then no one stealing J’Sun I came close to turning the show off. I always hate the battle rounds and this time around is not proving to be the exception. The fact that Taylor is still in the running is KILLING me! She was terrible and I’m tired of Blake choosing young girls he can teach over singers that are already good!

8. ezmartin says:

I think Shakira used her saves very wisely. She lacked both types of singers, and both singers were strong in their battles. I was a little shocked Amber was chosen over Sasha anyhow.

• kavyn says:

Considering how Adam didn’t really take advantage of Amanda’s voice last season either, I think he personally made the right choice in picking Amber over Sasha. I think Sasha will make it farther being on Shakira’s team.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Amber did amazingly well. I was hoping she’d get a save. But then Amber ended up not getting picked, she was even just a bit more amazing.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

OK so I messed that up. What I meant to say was:
        Amber did amazingly well. I was hoping she’d get a save. But then it turned out that Sasha was the one who somehow didn’t get picked by Adam, she was even more amazing than Amber. Glad Shakira nabbed her. Amber was amazing, but Sasha just even beyond and a real threat to take it all.

9. Jane says:

No, Shakira made all the right moves tonight! She has a great, and diverse team! Usher, on the other hand, has a WEAK team!

Blake stealing Taylor, was kinda random!

10. Can’t believe Christian got shafted :\

11. Teeny Bikini says:

I am not sure where Blake is coming from tonight. He keeps saying things like he should stay in his country lane when he wants to pick a country singer over a non-country singer. In fact, he has just a much success with non-country singers – if not more. He won with an R&B singer and pop singer. How short is his memory? If he wants to just focus on country, that’s fine – but then why pick anyone who isn’t country and use the save on a pop singer?

• ES says:

I wonder if that’s actually Blake’s way of letting a contestant down easy. That is, he can’t bring himself to say, “So-and-so was better,” so instead he chooses to say, “Neither of you were better than the other, so I’ll have to just stick with what I know.” It vaguely sounds like a ‘It’s not you, it’s me’ sort of excuse… which, of course, sucks for the contestant who gets the shaft because then why should he or she have picked Blake as their coach in the first place?

• I agree. I do think it’s more than just the genre they fit into and that he may be trying to let them down easy. Though if that’s the case, he should probably find some different words that would the same thing without making it seem like he’s building an all country team.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Sure. That sounds like Blake. I guess and hope in the future any singer who is non-country thinks twice before picking him.

• Lori says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Now next year’s contestants know and hopefully, won’t pick him as coach unless they are country. I thought it was supposed to be The Voice, not The Country Voice.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Preach. That’s fine if that’s what he wants to do – but it is only fair to be upfront about it from the get-go. Just be transparent. Buyer beware and all that… ;)

• Zod says:

You know what’s really funny? How many internet people complain that country artists shouldn’t pick Blake because he whittles them down really quickly and then jettisons the last country artist standing if they don’t get the popular vote.

12. dan says:

I think Sasha made the right choice with Shakira, she will go far if Shakira can make America fall in love with her. Then again, Usher is no slouch. Damn, this is a great set of coaches, I really hope they keep this panel.

13. jj says:

Team Blake was WEAK. Christian should have won and both Holly and Michelle deserve to go home.

14. Sam says:

Can we just note that Amanda Brown and Sasha Allen are great friends? I love it. So glad Sasha gets to stay. I don’t understand Adam sometimes.

15. Daniel says:

Taylor did amazing tonight. I am glad she is with Team Blake!

16. DDB says:

Christian was robbed.

17. Jacob says:

I don’t really understand what more Adam could have done for Amanda Brown last season. Was it song choice? I thought her last week’s songs (“Here I Go Again” and “Natural Woman”) did excellent jobs of showing off her diversity in the two genres she’s best at. I think America was to blame for her departure, rather than Adam. What say you, Michael?

• Jen says:

Not to mention the fact that Amanda didn’t even start out on Adam’s team. He “stole” her from Ceeloo and Adam was also the only coach to move any of his steals past the battle rounds (or is it knockout round?). My impression was that Adam did everything he could for his team (especially Amanda) last season and really did not play favorites as he did in both the 1st and 2nd season

• Jenny says:

Yeah, I agree with you guys. Adam did plenty to help out Amanda last season. I actually think that Adam was the only coach who WAS enthused about Amanda’s performances. It is my opinion that her performances of Stars and Natural Woman were both significantly under praised by Adam’s fellow coaches. Both were standing ovation worthy, but only Adam seemed excited about either performance. Made it really easy for Cassadee to overshadow Amanda’s greatness, especially with the way they pimped Cas every episode. LOL sorry guys. Still bitter :(

• ES says:

I didn’t fully watch last season (that is, I only watched certain performances on YouTube), so I don’t know how the judges reacted to all the performances. I did watch “Stars,” however, and my gosh, I don’t know how anyone could not be enthused by that. It was so moving and downright beautiful. I do like Cassadee, and I don’t mind that she won, but Amanda Brown was (is!) a gem.

• Kym says:

I agree. I think Xtina was especially brutal to Amanda last season & then inexplicably jumped all over Cassadee’s bandwagon. Maybe that’s how she got Blake to do that duet with her. I, too, am still bitter and I remain hopeful that Amanda will end up having a bigger career, a la Daughtry. Meanwhile, I must say that I am LOVING Shakira… she is so real and encouraging with everyone. She really seems to want to help the artists and is not at all self-promoting. Not to mention how cool it is that she can break into several languages at the drop of the hat. Too bad there aren’t any Italian singers this year; I read she’s fluent in that, too! :)

18. Jake says:

I agreed with all of the decisions, except for Garrett over J-Sun and the Swon Brothers over Christian.
    I was never impressed by Garrett, and he didn’t do a stand-out job tonight, while J-Sun was pretty spectacular in terms of both vocals and stage presence. With Shakira raving about her special connection with Garrett (as well as J-Sun’s limited screentime), it was clear she’d choose him to advance, but I felt it was totally undeserved. As for the Swon Brothers advancing over Christian, that was just a travesty. Initially I’d been concerned that Christian was a novelty act with a specialty in song arrangement as opposed to vocals, but he sounded awesome tonight. If Blake keeps up with his “destroy everyone who doesn’t sing country” trend, his teams in future seasons are sure to lack diversity.
    Of the rest, I already loved Holly, but Amber totally won me over as well.

19. JW says:

Had to vote for Garret because he completely embodied that song, as noted. His growl was perfect emotionally, while J’Sun seemed to be working more on the show than the song. But Judith had such incredible subtlety at key points, absolutely beautiful. And Amber and Karina pulled out brilliant performances and the right time. They deserve votes as well.

20. JW says:

As they say, there’s something special in the harmony that family singers bring to the show. The Swon Brothers used that to their advantage over Christian….who totally should have won that round. The Swon Brothers will sing their Swon Song in the next round.

21. Amy Serwitz says:

This was my first season watching The Voice & while they all gave outstanding performances tonight I was very disappointed to see Michelle Raitzin from team Blake go home. I thought she gave a stellar performance! Just magnificent!

• Joe says:

I really think her styling killed her. I don’t know who dressed her, but it was off putting to the point it was distracting. If she had gone more girl next door look she’d have beaten Holly since she outsang her. She looked too kooky up there and it was tough to take serious.

22. YowzaPowza says:

Who cares? Get Idology out quicker. It’s the only reason I’m ever on this website.

• Jenny says:

Um , This is a review for The Voice, just FYI. Take your idol loving ways outta here :D

• Sam says:

You should give The Voice a look, YowzaPowza, it’s really good so far this year. The interaction between the judges is night and day from what you get on idol. i.e. fun, good natured, witty banter versus uncomfortable, mean spirited ignoring each other. Seriously, check it out, thank me later.

23. asherlev1 says:

Jesus Christ. EVERY YEAR, The Voice commits a crime (often multiple crimes!) so heinous in the Battle Rounds that I give up watching seriously. Good night, everyone. *weeps into tissue*

24. ES says:

Sasha and Amber are both on my list of favorites. Of all the young, Taylor Swift-esque, country singers (many of whom are on Team Blake), I think Amber is the best by far… but I would’ve given the win to Sasha. She just seemed more emotionally connected to the song. To each his own, though. At least Shakira has a real horse in the race now.

Also, in my opinion, any of the contestants who get to sing with “Michael Jackson’s former singing partner” (as Carson Daly introduced her) should be honored and happy at the opportunity. That title alone puts Judith in another league. I’m sort of baffled as to why she’s even on the show. That is, how is it that she doesn’t already have offers from record labels? I mean, I know she turned some offers down because they came too soon after MJ’s death, but I’m surprised that label executives aren’t still eager.

• achilles says:

As I understood it, it wasn’t so much the “too soon” factor as she didn’t want to capitalize on MJ’s death, period. And it’s not like The Voice hasn’t given us over-qualified (for lack of a better term) contestants before; look at Cassadee and maybe Dia Frampton.

25. Jenny says:

I agree with you about Holly and Michelle. I was surprised that Blake decided to go with Holly. I thought Michelle won that battle. I couldn’t put my finger on why, but you hit the nail on the head. Also ALREADY getting irritated by Blake using the country card as a tie breaker. Really now? Boo

26. ABC says:

Judith Hill is overrated. Even if she wins she won’t have a successful career anyway.

27. Jenny says:

Great battles tonight. I think Shakira now has some strong contenders on her team. She used her steals wisely, unlike Blake who truly messed up picking Taylor. Doubt she’ll make it past the knockout rounds.

Gotta say love Ushers coaching style. He means business and truly wants contestants to bring out their best.

28. P says:

Christian was so horribly robbed. There’s no question that he was the better, more interesting, more entertaining performer. He has so much more star quality and it’s unfortunate that no one saved him after Blake apparently lost his mind.

29. ES says:

A lot of people here seem to think that Christian deserved the win, but I thought he was really awkward! He kept doing this windshield-wiper dance with his feet and had absolutely no idea what to do with his hands. I don’t think the Swon Brothers are anything special, but I thought they were more polished and put together.

30. Ervin says:

I love the results..the voice is the best so far!..

31. Tahoe Mike says:

This is the point where this show always loses me. The blind auditions are always compelling, but the whole idea of a competitive duet just seems wrong on every level.

• Luciana says:

Couldn’t agree more. I manage to get past it, but it’s very strange. But one of the mentors/judges mentioned tonight that the duets can make great entertainment, which is absolutely true (Karina and Judith for example). Maybe pure entertainment is meant to be a bigger part of this than we ‘plot followers’ think.

• Jenny says:

Well at the end of the day only one can win. So point of battles is that the “best of the best” move on . May not always happen cause of the coaches questionable decisions at times but it does make for good entertainment.

32. ES says:

I didn’t watch the episode, and watched the videos of the battles on YouTube before reading anything or knowing who won, and these were my thoughts:

Amber vs. Sasha – Great battle. I thought Sasha was the victor, but by a hair. I was pleased to find out that both advanced.
    Garrett vs. J’Sun – Garrett definitely won for me. J’Sun was good, but not anything too inspiring, while Garrett brings a different type of voice in a competition full of divas.
    Holly vs. Michelle – Honestly, I didn’t think either was anything spectacular, but I had given Michelle the edge.
    Jess vs. Taylor – Had Jess winning. I’m shocked to see that Taylor was stolen. To me, she was the worst of the night and it wasn’t even that close.
    Christian vs. Swon Brothers – Again, not one of the better battles of the night, but I thought Christian was better.
    Judith vs. Karina – I was quite surprised that Karina did so well. Both were very, very good, but Judith was still superior.

Overall, apart from Taylor getting stolen, I don’t have any major issues with how tonight went. There are some real contenders in this first batch – Judith is of course a major frontrunner, but I’m also adoring Garrett, Sasha and Amber.

33. darcy the slutty twin says:

Jess Kellner’s pronunciations seem contrived. I’ve decided I don’t like her and will be hoping she gets eliminated soon.

• Rain says:

I agree with the annoying pronunciation and I hope she doesn’t stick around long, however I thought she was way better than Taylor.

• The Beach says:

If you think hers are contrived just wait until we get another song from that “Boots Are Made For Walking” girl.

34. Joe says:

Knowing Sasha has been on Broadway and had that big part in the movie CAMP, I almost got the feeling that she seemed embarrassed to have to be there last night. I think the industry has kicked the you know what out of her. I’m not sensing any joy from her and I really love her and want her to go far. I couldn’t choose between her & Amber because Amber was that good. I’m just glad she got stolen because I think if Sasha embraces this is a great opportunity for her, she will go far with that voice.
    The Swan Brothers getting through was a bit of a head scratcher. They really seemed like the back up band. It wasn’t an “I’m never going to watch this show again” offense. I actually think they needed to put through a duo just so that the show doesn’t look biased against them.
    Michelle vs. Hollie was all about styling. Going out there like some demented Wonder Woman killed Michelle who I felt out sang Hollie. I don’t get the hype on Hollie. She sang the Adele cover of Make You Feel My Love & didn’t nail it in my opinion. I’m not into her at all. Feels like she’s being pushed a little.
    I think I know why Blake stole Taylor – she sounds like Gwen Stefani a little. If you package her right she might do something on this show. Jess, who beat her, does nothing for me.
    Jsun felt like a backup singer trying to be a lead singer.
    I was glad Karina got stolen because she atoned for that awful Melissa Etheridge blind audition that I felt Adam & Blake dared each other to turn around on as a joke. She won’t win, but she can be fun for a few weeks with better song choices.
    Judith is the good though. I think Slezak is on to something though – she’s too good. The voting public will rally around Amber before her.

35. Sandy says:

Slezak! Christian got that arrangement from a youtube celeb only1noah. It’s not his sexy and I know it, it’s Noah’s!

36. Connor says:

I think Adam’s Gameplan this season was get the best of the best and just get people that Blake couldn’t have the opportunity to develope into stars. I think team Adam but Blake is the best at developing these singers

37. Terry says:

I really liked Taylor… I did a fist pump when Blake stole her! She was probably my fave of the night and I’m surprised she’s dead last in the poll right now. Oh well, she definitely has room for improvement and hopefully she gets the chance. I can’t really explain it, I just find her fascinating to watch.

38. Sara says:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Blake is going to end up keeping his other duo past the Battles, just to pair them against the Swon Brothers in the Knock-out, just so he can put a duo into the live rounds? Or am I just being paranoid? Because, seriously, why else would he keep the Christian’s back-up band?

39. AmyL says:

This is my first season watching the Voice. I was a religious AI watcher, but now only watch Idology. Anyhow, I like the Voice so far, but feel like producers play a bit with results, just like AI. The 17 yr old that took gymnastics through her pre-teen years should not continue while Christian Porter is exit stage left. The Swon Brothers clearly had the stank eye for him, because they knew they were toast after their performance. This is called The Voice, J-Sun and Christian had better voices then their opponents.
    BTW googled Christian Porter and he has a Reverbnation site and 5 songs available on itunes.
    No, I am not his Sister :) Just think he was robbed, when he wasn’t stolen.

40. Jan1 says:

Please give the Voice a video recap with Michael and Melinda!

41. syb says:

About 80% of the time I disagree with the judges’ choice in these stupid battle rounds, and this season is no different. At least with the steal, this ridiculous contrivance doesn’t mean the end for somebody great necessarily.

The Voice has interesting mentors, a pretty decent song list, and some good talent. I wish it didn’t have so many rules, and rounds, and complications. Pick em, coach em, let em sing.

42. Shannon Carson says:

I am really irritated that some of the battle rounds and blind auditions were not televised. That is so unfair to the artists. If they don’t have time to show them all don’t pick so many.

43. mia says:

Garrett needs a makeover. I like his voice, but he’s akward as all heck and needs a serious image change. But that can all be done – at least the talent is there

44. Zod says:

Christian only got “robbed” if you think he had a legitimate chance at winning the whole thing. Otherwise, both him and the Swon Brothers are just cannon fodder to lose in the knockout round.

As for whether or not Shakira used her saves too soon, there’s no way to know what order these battle rounds actually happened in. You could say NBC used Shakira’s saves too soon instead of holding one of them off for a little while longer.

45. Macmoo says:

What the hell was Blake thinking when he saved Taylor? Her pitch is the worst thing I’ve seen in a long time.

46. Alan Dvorkis says:

Christian not winning was criminal. Better voice, more creativity and personality. A complete mismatch that went the wrong way. Garrett most improved and strangely enough my fave of the night.