Hell on Wheels Season 3 Gets Premiere Date, New Saturday Time Slot

Hell on Wheels Season 3 Premiere Date SaturdayHell on Wheels is making tracks for a brand-new time slot, AMC announced on Monday.

Season 3 of the period drama will premiere on Aug. 3 Aug. 10 in its new Saturdays-at-9/8c berth, where it will launch a new night of original programming for the cabler and cap a day of Western-themed fare, including newly acquired films such as El Dorado, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist and special anniversary airings of Hondo (1953), McLintock! (1963), Hang ‘Em High (1968) and High Plains Drifter (1973).

RELATED | Hell on Wheels Season 3 Casts Jennifer Ferrin as New Series Regular

“A new episode of Hell on Wheels on Saturday night after a full day of western fan favorites is going to be like the saddle on top of the horse,” AMC boss Charlie Collier said in a statement. “This is a programmer’s dream – to have a genre specific, 14-hour lead-in to one of your highest rated originals.”

RELATED | AMC Eyes Breaking Bad Spin-Off Centered on Saul

Season 3 of Hell on Wheels will open in 1867, the third year of the building of the transcontinental railroad. Cullen Bohannon (played by Anson Mount) will leave behind his vengeance-seeking mission to invest in the new American landscape, where he will contend with racism, greed and murder as he single-mindedly leads the Union Pacific in its race across the country against the Central Pacific Railroad.

Already this summer, AMC has The Killing Season 3 airing on Sundays (starting June 2), plus the final half-season of Breaking Bad and the new drama Low Winter Sun.

Comments (68)

• Moving things to Saturdays usually means it will be canceled I hope Hell On Wheels does not get Canceled I love this show!

Comment by Elizabeth (@Fuze83) – April 15, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope moving it to Saturdays, doesn’t mean Hell on Wheels is being cancelled. My boys & I love this show.

Comment by Frosty – June 23, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so do I ,hope its back for season 4

Comment by elizabeth – September 4, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you AMC for moving this to Saturday Sunday was and is way too crowded with shows that I try to watch. Saturday is a wasteland

Comment by Dan – April 15, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Sundays are just way too packed with competition and my dvr has a hard time keeping up. It will be nice to have something good to watch on Saturdays.

Comment by The Beach – April 15, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This works. Although my DVR is already whirring overtime due to BBC American and new movies. This is what is so great about cable – they will re-air it about 20 more times! lol. I watched this show since it started and really kind of struggled with it. I enjoy Westerns so that is why I kept at it. The season 2 finale finally made me care and I am really interested where it goes from here, so I am glad it was renewed.

Comment by phamster – April 15, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why bring the show back, if you’re going to schedule it in the Saturday death slot? It’s not like their Monday-Friday’s are jammed pack with original programming.

Comment by Julie – April 15, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering other networks and channels have a lot of programming the rest of the week, it makes sense to try to set a beachhead on a night little competition. If it takes root, other channels will follow.

Back in the day, Saturdays were a big television night.

Comment by Todd – April 15, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I am actually excited about this and hope that other networks, particularly the broadcast networks, follow suit. Some amazing, Emmy winning TV used to air on Saturday nights (Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore, 227, etc.) and now it has become a dumping ground.

Comment by GM – April 15, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I want lily bell back otherwise not watching

Comment by Tara – August 25, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My thoughts exactly. I was so incredibly bummed when they let her get killed.

Comment by Mariana – September 9, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since its premiering in August they should have moved it to Thursdays.

Comment by JT – April 15, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no Lily Bell, no me watching

Comment by sassy – April 15, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me either! I liked it up to that point but that was the end for me.

Comment by Marie – April 15, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that.. why would they get you so attached to Lily in season 2 and then kill her the same season. Obviously that’s going to piss a lot of people off. Bye bye hell on wheels.

Comment by michael – August 2, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they bring Dominique McElligott back. Her and Anson Mount had fantastic chemistry and I loved her character arc. I’m hoping the death scene was subterfuge.

Comment by Pamela – April 15, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish, but I don’t think it’s going to pan out that way. In an online article where they interviewed Mount and lined up what to expect in Season 3, they pretty much confirmed that Lily Bell was dead and Mount stated that there was really no room for romance on a show centered around ambition. So that’s it for me then. Looking forward to what the other stations have for the new season, including an interesting take on Sleepy Hollow. I guess I’ll just get my country fix via Longmire from now on.

Comment by Sandy – July 27, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t agree more… I’m done. I was neutral on the romance thing, but I really liked Dominique McElligott’s character (she was definitely in the top three). And it’s pretty obvious that the direction of the show is shifting away from Cullen’s pursuit of vengeance. I don’t really care for that, either. Unpredictable events in a show are necessary to avoid predictability and ruts; but when they’re done gratuitously/in a forced way, it really detracts from the show’s credibility… in addition to my viewing enjoyment. Btw, let me put up a big ‘IMO’ disclaimer for all the nimrods out there who love to argue on the internet.

Comment by Eric – August 11, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m on board with these comments. As much as I like to look at Mount, he’s a really one dimensional a-hole without the bit of humanity we see with the Lilly Bell character. Additionally, the Bell character was the only human being in the entire show that had anything to like, and I was pulling for her. The rest of them are all horrifyingly monstrous. They lost this viewer too.

Comment by Emily Latge – January 29, 2014 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It really irritates me when people write something off as dead just because it is on Friday or Saturday. Supernatural did well on Fridays for years and BBC America has Dr. Who and Being Human on Saturdays. Don’t just give up on something because of the night if the week it is on.

Comment by Jane – April 15, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Very few watch live tv anymore.

Comment by Pamela – April 15, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am excited for this show to come back, but i will say if it does get cancelled (for w/e reason) i am happy and satisfied with the two season story we got. Apparently the story will Lilly Bell (etc) was the one the creators wanted to tell, they did in two seasons and left. So i feel like i got a great story from start to finish. Anything more in this third season is hopefully just icing on the cake. A new story hopefully up to the quality of the previous one.
    Cullen having a purpose, and a love interest really gave the show a realism and complexity. I hope they dont make it about him just being the guy dealing with racism and all that stuff. I hope they bring in other great actors to fill the roles of a possible love interest (not too soon though) and a villain and more.

Comment by M3rc Nate – April 15, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Already on my August calendar!! Can’t wait. I love to this show. Just wish season 2 would hurry up and be released!!

Comment by Kat – April 15, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch 1 episode at least…but Lilly dying and leaving Bohanon to grieve again is just too cruel.Not sure I’ll enjoy it as much without her feistiness.

Comment by Shaun – April 15, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saturdays are only considered burnoff days for Broadcast networks. BBC airs Doctor Who on Saturdays for the record. An all Western Saturday block is an interesting move and will give Hell,on Wheels a chance to prove itself.

Comment by JacobYates – April 16, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missing Miss Lily Bell. Doubtful I’ll watch this season.

Comment by jacquieo – April 16, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I could get excited about this show. I love westerns more than any genre. I want to love this show. But I can’t! It’s so slow! I think Deadwood has set too high of a standard for TV westerns. I am curious to see what they do with the reboot though. They lost so many characters in the finale. It’s going to have to be a lot different.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 16, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I will watch it. The authentic feel is what attracts me as well as the character relationships.

Comment by Debra Fegley – April 21, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dump the Swede and bring back Lily!!!!!!!

Comment by Marina Lee – April 27, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes I agree!!!!! Also I am glad it is coming back and Saturday night is just fine with me.
      Loretta

Comment by Loretta Grubbs – May 19, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (((((((((((NODS)))))))))))))) I was so over him and so early on

Comment by Rosalee Adams (@RosaleeAdams) – July 8, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! That sucks! Why do we have to wait til august! We were totally looking forward to Hell on Wheels since The Walking Dead ended! I need my Mr. Bohannen fix!

Comment by Genesis Yachnik – April 27, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes I agree Lily did make the show I hope that some how the death scene of Miss Lily will make a come back when Cullen lay her on the bench she take a deep breath after the preacher daughter pray for her.

Comment by Mattie Smith – April 27, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait till august.love the show.

Comment by sandra anger – April 27, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you look close enough, you can see afaint pulse in Lily Bell’s neck, see what happens

Comment by Robbie Jones – April 29, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah and if you look really close you can see her heart beating and the blood flowing through her veins. Wishful thinking much? Dolt.

Comment by Maxwell – August 4, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm……you totally forgot and ditched the revenge story? Come on…

Comment by Zuh – May 14, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show but it knocked me out when Lillly died just when she and Cullen had found each other -bring her back
    I do love me some Anson Mount – wooo

Comment by PamI!m – May 15, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super excited Hell on Wheels has been renewed. One of the most brilliantly acted and shot programs on tv. Saturday night though? Definitely gonna have to On Demand these episodes.

Comment by Kelley – May 16, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hey out there in tv land. there ain’t much to watch on tv anymore. I grew up in the hay days of tv. my family was the house with a tv and on sat evenings folk sat on the floor waiting for gun smoke to air. now my lady friend loves hell on wheels. it is one of her few shows. but we both looked at each other when miss lily bell seemed to pass, and we both said “no way”. we are willing and ready for season 3 to light up the screen. come on great western tv and hard living in hard days, it’s always worth watching Hell On Wheels. we where hoping that the b-wigs hadn’t cut it from tv land. just can’t wait!!!! “Bullet” central Va.

Comment by Greg "Bullet" Black prez "TTMC" a recovering motor cycle club – May 18, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 51 years old, and this is absolutely the best thing I have ever seen on television.
    The first “season” Blue Ray/DVD I have ever purchased or followed on any web site.
    The story, the actors, the theme, the production, the set, the scieneryscenery are all perfect, and I’m an old grouch who’s hard to please.
    I don’t follow anything or anyone, but I follow HOW!

Comment by Marc McCune – June 3, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love this show, keep Lilly on the show,Great job!!!!
    Johnny V

Comment by Johnny V – June 7, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they somehow keep Lily. Maybe a dream?

Comment by Brenda B – June 9, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God that useless slut Lily is dead. Keep her that way! Slept with anyone that had some sway to keep her comfy lifestyle, like most women. She was a was a pain in the ass like the Swede and deserved her comeuppance. Her husband wasn’t even cold in the ground before she spread her legs again. She was a horrible character and Bohannen was a dumbass for dipping his wick into that black widow.

Comment by Angus Foxworthy – June 14, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angus seems to have issues…

Comment by MICHAEL W MCKINSTRY – June 22, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How crude and pathetic of you to say something like that about Lily. The series was great until they decided to kill her character. How is she any different than several of the women in the world today. She was a strong and independent character and she does not need to be disrespected. If you are going to call her a slut call all of the men visiting the saloon sluts as well. It is so easy for men for dismiss women for the things they do, but are they ever held accountable for their actions….I am praying in some way Lily comes back to the Show .

Comment by Rachel Kennedy – July 10, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Suggest you go back to watching Disney channel. Perhaps re-visit when you grow up.

Comment by chuck – July 14, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol that was brilliant….

Comment by Carolus Magnus – August 7, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry you were un able to grasp the “survival” aspect of the women characters, some people can deal with a little reality.!

Comment by Theresa Winn – July 17, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t watch tv for reality. I get enough of that crap living my actual life.

Comment by srplese – September 4, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Real talk…

Comment by Carolus Magnus – August 7, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lily & bohannon b long 2gether . he needs her 2 save him from himself. i think she’ll return in some form. maybe dreams r visions. she’s also the only one who can burn the durants 2 the ground.

Comment by sandy – June 27, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also i think shes being cared for until the durants go 2 trial r are jailed. also the sweed is her enemy. she’s needs 2 b protected from him in a big way. i am so waiting 4 the start of season 3. what a great show. im a real western fan. bohannon u r my dream guy.

Comment by sandy – June 27, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is taking so long?seems like three years since last episode.

Comment by donald powell – July 11, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t wait.just watched season 1 and season two in two days .i got my mom hooked.aug 10th hurry up.third best show behind walking dead and american horror story

Comment by harley – July 18, 2013 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified on FX is really good too.

Comment by Carol – July 21, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show. im waiting with pure anxiety until it starts. i lv all western. great move on amcs part 2 do all western viewing. & i so totally lv anson mount! what a babe!!! he needs a woman. lily bell . please bring her back. can’t say enough about the chemistry between her & bohannon.

Comment by sandy – July 31, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess this is what DVR’s are for…

Comment by Daisy – July 31, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Lillie Bell is dead. Her character was out of place and ruined the first two seasons. So many shows and movies are ruined trying to appease women and feed this delusion they are equal or can be “strong” in time pieces. If it weren’t for men protecting them they wouldn’t have a pot to piss in, then or now. Dumb English Aristocrat got what she deserved.

Comment by Carolus Magnus – July 31, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Lily Bell! And I have to comment on Carolus’s comment. I think Carolus is closet gay guy afraid of a strong woman type.

Comment by Wes – August 2, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I think you’re an idiot with no sense of history or ability to think perspectively. Her character was completely bogus and was only developed to appeal to feminists and weak morons like you.

Comment by Carolus Magnus – August 5, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great show!!! It can not compete will college football on Saturdays!!! Besides they killed Lily Bell.

Comment by Davis – August 6, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like it or not ‘Carolus’ women make up a big percentage of the viewing public, and we will never be satisfied watching a show that only offers Whores or Virgin archetypes representing all of us. With Lily Bell gone that’s all we have left. Not interested in watching yet another show about the ambition of men.

Comment by Bea – August 10, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Lilly being killed-off was one of the rudest things ever done to an audience, in any series. Sean Bean being beheaded in the first season of “Game Of Thrones” was previously as bad a move as I’ve ever seen in a series, but this (Lilly) was the worst.

And she wasn’t portrayed as some kind of 19th century feminist, but rather a very believable character with a certain air of understated confidence, not unexpected from an aristocratic background.

A very charismatic actress who could only be replace by Claire Danes or Naomi Watts. And we don’t see that happening.

Although I’ll watch season three because it’s a good “gritty western,” I hope the ratings tank so they’ll (producers) learn a lesson of not getting “too cute” with great characters.

Comment by Ed – September 23, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love, love, love HEll On Wheels and Anson Mount.

Comment by carolyn – October 21, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally love this show, everyone in the house is addicted to it. They better not even think of cancelling the show. We just finished watching both season 1 and 2 and cannot wait until the new season starts!!!!

Comment by C. Cavanagh – February 9, 2014 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post