Hell on Wheels Season 3 Gets Premiere Date, New Saturday Time Slot

Hell on Wheels Season 3 Premiere Date SaturdayHell on Wheels is making tracks for a brand-new time slot, AMC announced on Monday.

Season 3 of the period drama will premiere on Aug. 3 Aug. 10 in its new Saturdays-at-9/8c berth, where it will launch a new night of original programming for the cabler and cap a day of Western-themed fare, including newly acquired films such as El Dorado, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist and special anniversary airings of Hondo (1953), McLintock! (1963), Hang ‘Em High (1968) and High Plains Drifter (1973).

RELATED | Hell on Wheels Season 3 Casts Jennifer Ferrin as New Series Regular

“A new episode of Hell on Wheels on Saturday night after a full day of western fan favorites is going to be like the saddle on top of the horse,” AMC boss Charlie Collier said in a statement. “This is a programmer’s dream – to have a genre specific, 14-hour lead-in to one of your highest rated originals.”

RELATED | AMC Eyes Breaking Bad Spin-Off Centered on Saul

Season 3 of Hell on Wheels will open in 1867, the third year of the building of the transcontinental railroad. Cullen Bohannon (played by Anson Mount) will leave behind his vengeance-seeking mission to invest in the new American landscape, where he will contend with racism, greed and murder as he single-mindedly leads the Union Pacific in its race across the country against the Central Pacific Railroad.

Already this summer, AMC has The Killing Season 3 airing on Sundays (starting June 2), plus the final half-season of Breaking Bad and the new drama Low Winter Sun.

1. Moving things to Saturdays usually means it will be canceled I hope Hell On Wheels does not get Canceled I love this show!

2. Dan says:

Thank you AMC for moving this to Saturday Sunday was and is way too crowded with shows that I try to watch. Saturday is a wasteland

• The Beach says:

I agree. Sundays are just way too packed with competition and my dvr has a hard time keeping up. It will be nice to have something good to watch on Saturdays.

3. phamster says:

This works. Although my DVR is already whirring overtime due to BBC American and new movies. This is what is so great about cable – they will re-air it about 20 more times! lol. I watched this show since it started and really kind of struggled with it. I enjoy Westerns so that is why I kept at it. The season 2 finale finally made me care and I am really interested where it goes from here, so I am glad it was renewed.

4. Julie says:

Why bring the show back, if you’re going to schedule it in the Saturday death slot? It’s not like their Monday-Friday’s are jammed pack with original programming.

• Todd says:

Considering other networks and channels have a lot of programming the rest of the week, it makes sense to try to set a beachhead on a night little competition. If it takes root, other channels will follow.

Back in the day, Saturdays were a big television night.

• GM says:

Yes, I am actually excited about this and hope that other networks, particularly the broadcast networks, follow suit. Some amazing, Emmy winning TV used to air on Saturday nights (Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore, 227, etc.) and now it has become a dumping ground.

• Tara says:

I want lily bell back otherwise not watching

5. JT says:

Since its premiering in August they should have moved it to Thursdays.

6. sassy says:

no Lily Bell, no me watching

• Marie says:

me either! I liked it up to that point but that was the end for me.

• michael says:

Amen to that.. why would they get you so attached to Lily in season 2 and then kill her the same season. Obviously that’s going to piss a lot of people off. Bye bye hell on wheels.

7. Pamela says:

I hope they bring Dominique McElligott back. Her and Anson Mount had fantastic chemistry and I loved her character arc. I’m hoping the death scene was subterfuge.

• Sandy says:

I wish, but I don’t think it’s going to pan out that way. In an online article where they interviewed Mount and lined up what to expect in Season 3, they pretty much confirmed that Lily Bell was dead and Mount stated that there was really no room for romance on a show centered around ambition. So that’s it for me then. Looking forward to what the other stations have for the new season, including an interesting take on Sleepy Hollow. I guess I’ll just get my country fix via Longmire from now on.

• Eric says:

I couldn’t agree more… I’m done. I was neutral on the romance thing, but I really liked Dominique McElligott’s character (she was definitely in the top three). And it’s pretty obvious that the direction of the show is shifting away from Cullen’s pursuit of vengeance. I don’t really care for that, either. Unpredictable events in a show are necessary to avoid predictability and ruts; but when they’re done gratuitously/in a forced way, it really detracts from the show’s credibility… in addition to my viewing enjoyment. Btw, let me put up a big ‘IMO’ disclaimer for all the nimrods out there who love to argue on the internet.

• Emily Latge says:

I’m on board with these comments. As much as I like to look at Mount, he’s a really one dimensional a-hole without the bit of humanity we see with the Lilly Bell character. Additionally, the Bell character was the only human being in the entire show that had anything to like, and I was pulling for her. The rest of them are all horrifyingly monstrous. They lost this viewer too.

8. Jane says:

It really irritates me when people write something off as dead just because it is on Friday or Saturday. Supernatural did well on Fridays for years and BBC America has Dr. Who and Being Human on Saturdays. Don’t just give up on something because of the night if the week it is on.

9. M3rc Nate says:

I am excited for this show to come back, but i will say if it does get cancelled (for w/e reason) i am happy and satisfied with the two season story we got. Apparently the story will Lilly Bell (etc) was the one the creators wanted to tell, they did in two seasons and left. So i feel like i got a great story from start to finish. Anything more in this third season is hopefully just icing on the cake. A new story hopefully up to the quality of the previous one.
    Cullen having a purpose, and a love interest really gave the show a realism and complexity. I hope they dont make it about him just being the guy dealing with racism and all that stuff. I hope they bring in other great actors to fill the roles of a possible love interest (not too soon though) and a villain and more.

10. Kat says:

Already on my August calendar!! Can’t wait. I love to this show. Just wish season 2 would hurry up and be released!!

11. Shaun says:

I’ll watch 1 episode at least…but Lilly dying and leaving Bohanon to grieve again is just too cruel.Not sure I’ll enjoy it as much without her feistiness.

12. JacobYates says:

Saturdays are only considered burnoff days for Broadcast networks. BBC airs Doctor Who on Saturdays for the record. An all Western Saturday block is an interesting move and will give Hell,on Wheels a chance to prove itself.

13. jacquieo says:

Missing Miss Lily Bell. Doubtful I’ll watch this season.

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

I wish I could get excited about this show. I love westerns more than any genre. I want to love this show. But I can’t! It’s so slow! I think Deadwood has set too high of a standard for TV westerns. I am curious to see what they do with the reboot though. They lost so many characters in the finale. It’s going to have to be a lot different.

15. Debra Fegley says:

I love this show. I will watch it. The authentic feel is what attracts me as well as the character relationships.

16. Marina Lee says:

Dump the Swede and bring back Lily!!!!!!!

17. No! That sucks! Why do we have to wait til august! We were totally looking forward to Hell on Wheels since The Walking Dead ended! I need my Mr. Bohannen fix!

18. Mattie Smith says:

Yes I agree Lily did make the show I hope that some how the death scene of Miss Lily will make a come back when Cullen lay her on the bench she take a deep breath after the preacher daughter pray for her.

19. sandra anger says:

I can’t wait till august.love the show.

20. Robbie Jones says:

If you look close enough, you can see afaint pulse in Lily Bell’s neck, see what happens

• Maxwell says:

Yeah and if you look really close you can see her heart beating and the blood flowing through her veins. Wishful thinking much? Dolt.

21. Zuh says:

Umm……you totally forgot and ditched the revenge story? Come on…

22. PamI!m says:

Love the show but it knocked me out when Lillly died just when she and Cullen had found each other -bring her back
    I do love me some Anson Mount – wooo

23. Kelley says:

Super excited Hell on Wheels has been renewed. One of the most brilliantly acted and shot programs on tv. Saturday night though? Definitely gonna have to On Demand these episodes.

24. Greg "Bullet" Black prez "TTMC" a recovering motor cycle club says:

hey out there in tv land. there ain’t much to watch on tv anymore. I grew up in the hay days of tv. my family was the house with a tv and on sat evenings folk sat on the floor waiting for gun smoke to air. now my lady friend loves hell on wheels. it is one of her few shows. but we both looked at each other when miss lily bell seemed to pass, and we both said “no way”. we are willing and ready for season 3 to light up the screen. come on great western tv and hard living in hard days, it’s always worth watching Hell On Wheels. we where hoping that the b-wigs hadn’t cut it from tv land. just can’t wait!!!! “Bullet” central Va.

25. Marc McCune says:

I am 51 years old, and this is absolutely the best thing I have ever seen on television.
    The first “season” Blue Ray/DVD I have ever purchased or followed on any web site.
    The story, the actors, the theme, the production, the set, the scieneryscenery are all perfect, and I’m an old grouch who’s hard to please.
    I don’t follow anything or anyone, but I follow HOW!

26. Johnny V says:

We love this show, keep Lilly on the show,Great job!!!!
    Johnny V

27. Brenda B says:

I hope they somehow keep Lily. Maybe a dream?

28. Angus Foxworthy says:

Thank God that useless slut Lily is dead. Keep her that way! Slept with anyone that had some sway to keep her comfy lifestyle, like most women. She was a was a pain in the ass like the Swede and deserved her comeuppance. Her husband wasn’t even cold in the ground before she spread her legs again. She was a horrible character and Bohannen was a dumbass for dipping his wick into that black widow.

29. sandy says:

Lily & bohannon b long 2gether . he needs her 2 save him from himself. i think she’ll return in some form. maybe dreams r visions. she’s also the only one who can burn the durants 2 the ground.

30. sandy says:

Also i think shes being cared for until the durants go 2 trial r are jailed. also the sweed is her enemy. she’s needs 2 b protected from him in a big way. i am so waiting 4 the start of season 3. what a great show. im a real western fan. bohannon u r my dream guy.

31. donald powell says:

what is taking so long?seems like three years since last episode.

32. harley says:

i can’t wait.just watched season 1 and season two in two days .i got my mom hooked.aug 10th hurry up.third best show behind walking dead and american horror story

33. Carol says:

Justified on FX is really good too.

34. sandy says:

Love this show. im waiting with pure anxiety until it starts. i lv all western. great move on amcs part 2 do all western viewing. & i so totally lv anson mount! what a babe!!! he needs a woman. lily bell . please bring her back. can’t say enough about the chemistry between her & bohannon.

35. Daisy says:

Well, I guess this is what DVR’s are for…

36. Carolus Magnus says:

I’m glad Lillie Bell is dead. Her character was out of place and ruined the first two seasons. So many shows and movies are ruined trying to appease women and feed this delusion they are equal or can be “strong” in time pieces. If it weren’t for men protecting them they wouldn’t have a pot to piss in, then or now. Dumb English Aristocrat got what she deserved.

37. Wes says:

Bring back Lily Bell! And I have to comment on Carolus’s comment. I think Carolus is closet gay guy afraid of a strong woman type.

• Carolus Magnus says:

And I think you’re an idiot with no sense of history or ability to think perspectively. Her character was completely bogus and was only developed to appeal to feminists and weak morons like you.

38. Davis says:

This is a great show!!! It can not compete will college football on Saturdays!!! Besides they killed Lily Bell.

39. Bea says:

Like it or not ‘Carolus’ women make up a big percentage of the viewing public, and we will never be satisfied watching a show that only offers Whores or Virgin archetypes representing all of us. With Lily Bell gone that’s all we have left. Not interested in watching yet another show about the ambition of men.

40. Ed says:

Yes, Lilly being killed-off was one of the rudest things ever done to an audience, in any series. Sean Bean being beheaded in the first season of “Game Of Thrones” was previously as bad a move as I’ve ever seen in a series, but this (Lilly) was the worst.

And she wasn’t portrayed as some kind of 19th century feminist, but rather a very believable character with a certain air of understated confidence, not unexpected from an aristocratic background.

A very charismatic actress who could only be replace by Claire Danes or Naomi Watts. And we don’t see that happening.

Although I’ll watch season three because it’s a good “gritty western,” I hope the ratings tank so they’ll (producers) learn a lesson of not getting “too cute” with great characters.

41. carolyn says:

love, love, love HEll On Wheels and Anson Mount.

42. C. Cavanagh says:

Totally love this show, everyone in the house is addicted to it. They better not even think of cancelling the show. We just finished watching both season 1 and 2 and cannot wait until the new season starts!!!!