Dallas Season 2 Finale Recap: The J.R. Mystery Is Solved (Twice) -- Plus: Did Pam Ewing Return?

Dallas Season 2 Finale Recap Pam Ewing ReturnsWarning: The following contains Texas-sized spoilers from the Season 2 finale of TNT’s Dallas.

TNT’s Dallas on Monday night sewed up its sophomore run with a pair of episodes that alternately shed light on the Pam Ewing mystery and revealed J.R. Ewing’s killer, twice.

RELATED | TNT Sets Summer Premieres for Falling Skies, Rizzoli & Isles, King & Maxwell and More

HOW I DIDN’T MEET MY MOTHER | Following leads to Zurich, where his mother presumably was drawing from a savings account, Christopher instead found Bernard from Lost, who ultimately confessed that Pamela Ewing Barnes was, in fact, dead. Bernard, who had been Pam’s taller/swarthier plastic surgeon after her car accident, explained that Christopher’s mother had stayed away until she could have enough surgeries to look presentable. Alas, once that day came, she realized that she was dying, and she bequeathed her third of Barnes Global to her son. But Cliff enlisted Bernard to maintain the illusion that Pam was alive, lest a Ewing lay claim to a chunk of his company. With a death certificate found in Cliff’s safe deposit box, Christopher was able to prove Pam’s passing and grab his birthright, giving Team Ewing two-thirds control of Barnes Global. And that… was that. No Pam for you!

RELATED | Taye Diggs, Kathleen Robertson Investigate Murder in Steven Bochco Pilot for TNT

WHO KILLED J.R.? | En route back from his whirlwind elopement with Rebecca (which accounted for the other third of Barnes Global), John Ross gleaned — through a prolonged session with a certain brand of tablet computer! — that Cliff had been in Nuevo Laredo at the time J.R. was shot dead. Bobby then corralled the gang to reveal his plan, to prove that Cliff murdered his longtime rival by planting a duplicate of J.R.’s stolen belt buckle in Cliff’s (increasingly not-)safe deposit box, stashing Barnes’ gun aka the murder weapon in his car trunk, and then luring the old coot to Mexico to be arrested without extradition concerns.

Cliff, though, protested loudly — and convincingly — once the federales showed up to cuff him in Nuevo Laredo. Later, behind bars, he warned Bobby, “When [Rebecca] finds out that you framed me, it’ll be a third-generation blood feud.” Bobby offers Cliff a deal — ‘fess up to the rig explosion/murdering his own grandchildren in trade for the J.R.’s murder rap. Cliff, though, refuses, as he ever has, to take anything from a Ewing.

Toward the end of the second hour, Bobby and Bum are visiting J.R.’s gravesite when John Ross and Christopher show up to demand the truth about “J.R.’s masterpiece” — and Bobby gives it to them. J.R. knew he was dying of cancer, yet was determined to put and end to the families’ feud once and for all, before his time ran out. To that end, he had Bum steal Cliff’s gun and shoot him dead in Mexico, knowing that his rival was in town for some annual fishing thing. “The only person that could take down J.R…. was J.R.,” his son mused. UPDATE: Later, John Ross rendezvoused with Emma for some shtupping.

RELATED | Regina King Ponders Southland‘s Uncertain Future

A NEW THREAT? | With Cliff in the Mexican pokey and Harris Ryland behind bars Stateside (thanks to daughter Emma turning his drug trafficking records over to the authorities), have the Ewings run out of adversaries for any possible Season 3…?

Perhaps not. Because from the squalor of his South of the Border confines, Cliff sets up a meeting with Elena, to reveal that J.R. years ago duped her great-grandfather out of oil-rich land, by swapping deeds and saddling the Ramos patriarch with a worthless lot. We last see Elena, after much wiping of tears and driving fast — and just as I was mulling how little they give her to do, despite two seasons’ worth of some effort — pull up to a heavily fortified hacienda to see an old (and obviously powerful) friend named Joaquin….

1. LHD says:

Does anyone know the song played that started with cold dark eyes and said something like the devil is a liar?

2. christine says:

Please let there be a season 3. I personally think that they should still find away to bring Pamela back to the show. What I think they should do is as follows: I think they should bring VP or Margret Michaels back for a temporary run. Then they should have it look like her doctor an JR made her disappear. Katherine should have been holding Pamela hostage. Finally Pam makes it back to Dallas and on her death bed she has closure with Bobby and Christopher. She then has Ann promise to always look after Bobby and Christopher. Pam then denounces Cliff as her brother. She has a heart to heart with Pamela Rebecca and tells her to re-think staying married to John Ross since he is so much like his father. Then as for John Ross cheating on Pamela with Emma what should happen is as follows: Bobby, Ann, Sue Ellen, and even Christopher should kick John Ross’s ass for taking advantage of Emma and cheating Pamela. Sue-Ellen then needs to give John Ross and ultimatum saying if he continues to cheat on Pamela she will work with Bobby and Christopher to kick him out of Ewing Energies. Finally let Elena forgive the wrong doings by JR towards her family and reconcile with Christopher and have them get married.

3. christine says:

I give the season finale a B

4. Gin says:

It just cracks me up that everyone is so in love with John Ross and Pamela. Correct me if I,m wrong but didn’t,t she murder her so-called brother because she was so in love with Christopher and was carrying his children.

She may have used the self-defense excuse but she went and got the gun before and that indicates premeditation.

She then had sex while pregnant and this was an indication of falling in love? :-) Doesn’t this spell rebound to anyone else? And what about John Ross rebound?

This is love??

She then had sex with John Ross right after her miscarriages yuck!!

Again, this indicates them falling in love. This also makes them a great couple.

With such a solid foundation I guess I am not so surprised after all that they are the favorite couple on the series…

The only thing that would make their union more special is that later on we discover that Pamela is actually his half sister since her mother had an affair with J.R.

5. doc says:

First, let me say I have seen every episode of the “old” Dallas, so I understand the tenor of the writing of the “new” Dallas. I just wish it was more sophisticated like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or taken a little more seriously. But in keeping with the old show, I give the new boost two thumbs up. They really have brought it into 2013 and the use of Adele in season one and The Mavericks in season two was brilliant. Alot of emotion (I can do without the slaps in the face every episode, though. a little over the top for reality, but that is Dallas, I guess) and well played by the actors.
    Now: for my response to the season two finale. I have to say I was a little let down. (I don’t want to be negative) I guess I had built up in my own mind the possible finale where Victoria Principal resumes her role as Pam and Christopher finally finds her at the end for the big reveal. I knew that might not happen because Principal was telling interviewers that she had no intention of returning…nevertheless, I was hoping. So naturally, nothing could live up to the conclusion I had imagined in my own head.
    I would say the ending was satisfactory, yet mediocre. Season one ended with a bang…literally. Alot of stuff was revealed. The revelations in season two were sort of expected.
    I don’t know…I’m on the fence. I do hope it comes back for season three. I think Dallas has alot more to say about The Ewings and the new characters they have brought into the forefront. I really like Bobby and Anne as the new Jock and Miss Ellie.
    Oh yeah….was anyone else shocked when Cliff gave the okay for the explosion knowing that his own daughter was on the rig??? That truly shocked me. Cliff Barnes tried to be ruthless as J.R. but he was always good at heart, just resentful. But in this episode he became evil to me. I couldn’t believe it. I will never view this character in the same way. Cliff was always kind of lovable in the old show…even when he was getting back at J.R. He was more like an annoying fly than a deadly hornet. Oh well….what does everyone else think? Thanks.

• DONNA says:

DALLAS GOING TO BE OKAY. JUST KEEP IT GOING AND KEEP WHAT JR WOULD DO. CLIFF WAS GOING STRONG THIS TIME . BECAUSE LARRY HAD DIED IN REAL LIFE. SO HE HAD TO SHOW, WHAT HE COULD DO. NOW JR DID’NT LOSE HIS LIFE. WE HAVE A WHOLE ANOTHER LEVEL IN DALLAS. JR DISLIKE CLIFF FOR HAVING SUE ELLEN MISTAKES OF WISHING JOHN ROSS WAS HIS. SUE ELLEN DID’NT KNOW BACK THEN WHOM WAS JOHN ROSS FATHER. SHE DRINKING BACK THEN . AND SHE WAS HAVING A BABY. AND JR TOLD CLIFF STAY AWAY FROM HIS FAMILY. SO IT’S GOING TO BE GOOD . CLIFF ONCE LOVE SUE ELLEN. IT’S GOING TO BE GOOD. NEXT TIME AROUND. DALLAS THEN FAN AND A DALLAS FAN NOW. DONNA

6. Richard says:

In the resume above headed “Who killed JR” the first line mentions Rebecca. Who the hell is she? Or should it have read “Pamela” ?

7. Riz says:

It wasn’t a great surprise to see the spoilers of Season 2 finale spelled out in the title of this article. We are 2 episodes behind in the UK. I was interested to see if there was going to be a Season 3 when your article came up in the search and right there in bold is the total spoiler telling us who killed JR!

8. Niall Fleming says:

Series 2 has been fantastic. For those who question Emma’s part, think Lucy (the poisoned dwarf) and those early trysts with, for example, Ray Krebs. While paying respect to past storylines and tributes to past characters, New Dallas has a wider scope and thus new plotlines and twists can be developed. I think the writing and production is actually better than the original. That is praise indeed.

9. Karen says:

I really need the name of the song that played while everyone was being arrested and Emma was going into her father’s safe for the papers. I have googled some of the lyrics and listened to countless songs that are not it. TuneFind has it wrong and it is definitely not the song Liar by Korn or Liar Liar by The Unknown. If ANYBODY knows this song please list it somewhere. I belong to TuneFind.com and they are usually right on the music but in this case no one knows the song.

10. L BARTON says:

Please bring back Dallas for another series and put it on around 9pm not 11pm as Channel five have done, so more people can watch it. Bring back Bobby’s son Lucas and his mother Jenna Wade to fill in the gap Pamela Barnes the First left.

• KansasGuest says:

DALLAS has been renewed for a 3rd season. It will return in “early 2014,” probably around the same month it did this year. The time it airs depends on which time zone you live in. I’m in Central Time, and DALLAS does air at 9pm on my TNT station. TNT also reruns every episode later in the evening, and at least once more during the week if that time doesn’t work for you, which is the great thing about cable. Even if your DVR can’t catch the first showing (because Mondays are notorious for too many good shows on at the same time), there are other times to catch the same episode.

11. sonyakeegan@gmail.com says:

loved the new Dallas since it started..full of intrigue, suspense and cliff(excuse the pun)hangers…..didnt know if we could have a Dallas without JR, but it turned out absolutely fantastic… and in his memory…well done ..we have John Ross as his legacy… Josh Henderson is just perfect….keep it going…

12. Dino says:

You actually make it seem really easy with your presentation however I in finding this matter to be really one thing which I believe I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I’m looking forward in your next submit, I will try to get the grasp of it!

13. jaianee says:

i really love john ross and elena. they balance each other out as well as i like that elena will be turning a little bit bad and teaming up with barnes.. they have been basically treating her bad this past season. also i feel bad for christopher and he needs to go with pamela. i love this show and can’t wait for the next season although the waiting period is far to long.. ugh!!

14. christine burke says:

What ever happened to Bobby’s other son Lucas, the boy he had with Jenna Wade?

15. This is really interesting, You aare a very skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more
    of your great post. Also, I’ve sshared ypur site in my social
    networks!

16. Leo from Australia says:

I’m an old fan of Dallas and the new Dallas has me just as hooked as ever. I really hope we get another taste however it’s never made prime time and have to keep my eyes open for the late night gigs. RIP JR

17. Augusta says:

Link exchange is nothing else but it is only placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

18. jr had two sons, james and the baby he had off cally, will we see them? also bobby had a child from jenna wade will we see them in the future.