NBC Preempts Revolution in Wake of Boston Attack as Nets Expand News Coverage

Boston Marathon AttackABC, CBS and NBC will air hour-long editions of their nightly newscasts devoted to Monday’s terrorist attack at the Boston Marathon, which reportedly resulted in at least two deaths and 60 injuries.

Additionally, NBC confirms an earlier New York Times report that tonight’s original Revolution (10/9c) will be replaced by a Brian Williams-anchored news special on the tragedy.

No primetime changes are planned at ABC, CBS and Fox .

1. Local news just interrupted the live national NBC coverage. I think they just wanted to be on camera. They interrupted a live press conference with the police chief to show off their professional news anchor outfits.

• Joe Petitjean says:

Pray for the people of Boston.

• Who says I’m not? I’m just mad that local news is using this to publicize themselves.

• Chris says:

This may be local news, but it is national news. Bombings are not common in the US. Let them have their time. Your entertainment takes second place to this.

• Rrrrrr says:

Typical holier-than-thou bullcrap. The OP was complaining because her local news interrupted the national news, which is ridiculous. But leave it to the Internet to take a real tragedy and turn it into an occasion to run aoud an try to make people feel bad. You’re disgusting.

• Um, you’re stupid. Learn to read before commenting or don’t comment at all. I was watching national coverage of the bombing, not CSI: Miami. They were showing live coverage of the police chief of Boston holding a press conference with reporters and sharing what he could about its details. Then the local affiliate interrupted it. They didn’t even turn off the national video feed, they actually started talking over it so I couldn’t hear what was actually being said, then they finally switched the video to themselves talking. And then they actually tried to run a tape of local story and managed to cut off the beginning of the President’s statement. How incompetent can you get? This is why I prefer national coverage. Their coverage is about the coverage and not themselves. There’s way too many local news teams across the country that are tremendous attention whores, overly eager to put themselves on TV.

• Over Sensationalism says:

Just moved from China or maybe just an Obama supporter? We the people who support the Constitution of the United States do not wish to have our programming replaced by speculation from the liberal media. They could have done it tomorrow after they have facts, or the factual information could have been done in a news brief during a commercial I’m sure. We do not need to give the people responsible for these actions any more airtime, just gives them more power.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

LOL–‘liberal media?’

I do love the bleats of rightwing sheep. If the news was silent, you’d whine about that, Over.

• Aryn says:

Dear NBC – did you forget you have a 24 hour news channel?? It’s called MNBC (aka MSNBC)…I feel horrible for the family’s and victims in Boston after the terror attack, but some of us needed an escape from the coverage we had seen already and wanted to forget for just a while that it happened and get lost in TV and watch “Revolution”. I think NBC should be more fair in their news reporting, it’s too biased and I for one have grown tired of it and I renounce my 36 years as a registered Democrat and will now be Independent. Prayers to those affected by the bombings yesterday…God Bless!

• rebecca says:

I watched the entire thing happen from my office window. The most terrifying thing i’ve ever experienced.. and after the explosions, people were running towards the smoke to try and help others.. I love my hometown, Boston.

2. Emily says:

People just wanted to run a marathon. Why couldn’t the bomber(s) just let them be? It’s truly sickening.

3. dude says:

I am shocked that when its just something like this why does someone need a headline so bad? Cant even let runners be?

4. mo says:

I live outside Boston. This is the part of being an adult I hate – having to do check ins with my friends to see who is ok. This is so wrong!

5. JohnQ says:

Canadian networks will broadcast Revolution?

6. Brett says:

Sad that idiots like this exist in the world. The thing is, it will probably turn out to be a home grown terrorist who is upset and trying to get politicians off the topic of gun control. If a mentally unstable person wants to do harm, regardless of any measures or laws put into place, they, sadly, will still manage to find a way.

Sigh. My wishes to family and friends of any victims of these horrific attacks in Boston.

• jb says:

I hope you aren’t serious…

• Chris says:

Why? Evil people will always find a way, guns or no.

• Bb says:

It doesn’t mean our government has to be stupid enough to enable them.

• ES says:

The gov doesn’t have to enable people! It doesn’t matter if there was a complete ban on guns – the criminals and terrorists would STILL get guns from Mexico and other countries. They would still have a black market on guns. Only difference is; the law abiding citizens wouldn’t have guns to defend against the criminals that had them.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

Most of the guns used in those rampages like Sandy Hook were purchased by law-abiding folk, in homes where they thought they were responsible and good gun owners.

Why have any laws at all?

• jb says:

I was referring to the reference to getting pols off the topic of gun control.

7. Elyse says:

Boston :( have they confirmed that is was a terrorist attack yet??

• Amanda says:

I don’t believe any known terrorist organizations have taken credit for it yet so they are not calling it one yet.

• Elyse says:

TVline was the first article where I had seen it referred to as a terrorist attack so I wasn’t sure! awful. just awful :(

• Jenn in NH says:

Unfortunately there is no question this was terrorism. The only question is if it was homegrown or someone else. I’m so proud of my part of the country for immediately jumping into action and hopefully keeping the death toll down. As much as I’d love to see The Voice or DWTS or Castle to take my mind off of all this, I honestly think it would be best, at least in the Northeast to not show the new episodes and instead focus on this tragedy. But that’s my opinion!

• Esaul says:

Well technically it is a terrorist attack. Is it from any of the terrorist organizations? Honestly, I don’t think so or it would’ve been a larger scale bomb. But I’d rather not speculate of course too.

• Brooke says:

A terrorist attack is anything done to instill fear in people. “Terrorist” doesn’t just mean an extremist from the Middle East.

• Elyse says:

I know that. what I didn’t know is if they had found bombs and knew if it was done on purpose yet. I had seen some news stories but nothing that said exactly what happened.

• Kelly says:

Brooke. Don’t be naive. Where do you think the word extremist derives?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Whether it was committed by groups who operate abroad or someone who grew up as an American, it is a terrorist attack no matter what. Domestic terrorism is no different than terrorism committed by foreign groups.

• Elyse says:

yes I’ve heard of domestic terrorism I know that it could possibly be Americans who did this and it would still be considered terrorism. my question was more if they had confirmed someone planted bombs or if the explosions were on purpose and not some freak accident. when I was watching the news yesterday I didn’t see any confirmation on that but I was watching early and then stopped because it was too much :(

• Jimbo says:

It was a motive-free violent attack on innocent people. That pretty much defines terrorist. Whether it was an American citizen or a defined terrorist group, it’s still terrorism.

• Elyse says:

yes I do understand the concept of domestic terrorism but thank you! I was more wondering if they confirmed the blasts were bombs and not a freak accident.

• Elyse says:

concept really isn’t the right word to use but you get what I mean. I’m fully aware of domestic terrorism and that fact that unfortunately we have people in our own country hateful enough to do something so awful. gives me the chills just to think about it!

8. Author says:

People who are at home and can’t do anything to help could do with the distraction of their favourite TV show. It doesn’t mean they don’t care or are heartless, it just means that dwelling on it doesn’t help.

9. Amanda says:

So sad and very much praying for Boston. But I don’t always agree with cutting off regular programming for this. Sometimes people need a break from the constant coverage…especially since most have been on air for three hours already just rehashing the same information over and over.

• soxfan says:

I fully agree @Amanda – this is just another horrible incident in our country – SO DAMNED SICK OF IT & ABOUT IT. My thoughts & prayers to everyone in Boston & everyone involved. I heard on the radio a couple of hours ago, that some or all of the parents of the children killed at Sandy Hook were in attendance & were sitting right where the explosions were. HOW MUCH MORE are they supposed to take? Then at the same time, I heard one of the mother’s of one of the murdered Sandy Hook school children was on some show a week or two ago & she said that it has been 4 months since the Sandy Hook murders & she cannot wait to go to bed every night so that she can see her son in her dreams. You talk about SAD???? THAT’S SAD, FOLKS!!!! Just so horrible …. not sure this will ever end – we live in a very free society that good & bad can & will happen. God help us all, that’s ALL I have to say. So for those who don’t want YOUR shows pre-empted – be happy you are NOT living this nightmare – many people’s lives lives have changed forever ….

10. David4 says:

Castle better still be on, or I’ll be pissed. What new will there to report between 7 or 8pm and 11pm? Nothing.

• Becca says:

I’m sure it will be…DWTS is live so they won’t preempt that and I doubt they’d just take Castle off. Plus they’d have to push the Castle finale back a week if it wasn’t on tonight.

• Amanda says:

What new? How about who, why, how many injured? Dead? Exact locations? I love Castle, but the lives of hundreds are far more important.

Yes, some people might like to get away from the news. The thousands of families directly involved might like to be informed. News casters don’t switch for ratings. They switch because this is news. They have the ability to reach thousands to keep them updated. So sorry if Castle might not be on, but it’s far less important than this.

• A says:

I’m sorry, but no. The constant coverage with no new information is not worth airing over and over on every channel. There are plenty of ways to get news without having it on literally every channel. Keep the even in your mind and show sympathy and compassion, but if you need the constant media presence for you to care then you didn’t really care in the first place.

If there is new information or another issue or something else important, then by all means, update the public. But don’t drag on the same 15 lines for 10 hours. It does nothing, except sensationalize a tragic event.

• Amanda says:

Don’t you tell me I don’t care about what happens in my own state. I would prefer, and i’m sure other people would as well, to know what’s going on. Castle can be watched elsewhere. So don’t tell me I don’t care, just because I’d like to watch the news.

• Midori4 says:

I live 70 miles away. ABC had it from 3-8 then will have it 11-1130 then 12:30 to 1 and 3-9am.

We know two are dead and hundreds injured. And if we knew that at 4pm we will know that at 11pm. They aren’t reporting news. They are reporting fear and false info to scare you to get ratings.

• maureen says:

But there care dedicated news channels if you need around the clock updates. Personally I could use some escapism to dull the pain of reality.

• Alienate says:

You have your computer…. Let him have Castle.
            I called my local NBC station to make sure The Voice was not gonna be pre-empted by the bombing. Luckily, it’s not.
            Cheers!

• Brandon says:

So its ok when the did it for the Newtown tragedy, but when they try to cover a Boston terrorist tragedy, TV programs become more important?????????????

• maureen says:

No. Its just speculation and windbags now. That’s why we have news channels.Break in when there is actually something new to report.

• Faster says:

Nope, felt the same way about Newtown.

• madhatter360 says:

Newtown occurred on a Friday, when there isn’t much new TV anyway. Also, several of the episodes that got pulled contained content related to school shootings.

This bombing occurred on a Monday, when there is lots of new TV. Revolution, a show that recently had a major development involving a character obtaining a bomb, and that introduced a major character by describing her as being good at blowing things up, is not airing.

That seems pretty consistent actually.

• lessyap says:

There are actual NEWS CHANNELS. For example: CNN and Fox News. Also, there’s this thing called the Internet that you can refresh every second. If you want to watch it and follow the story, by all means DO, but it doesn’t have to be on every single network channel or preempt television for the night. The information is everywhere…there’s no need to change programming. Really, there’s not. This isn’t the 1960s.

• Sheila says:

Why don’t you go watch cartoons, you heartless brat?

• Alienate says:

Oh, Sheila, sorry we can’t all be as “heartful” as you. I am already SICK of the coverage.

• Angela says:

@Alienate: So shut off your TV, then. Luckily, YOU get to be able to do that. The people in Boston do not have that luxury. Plus, there are people in other parts of the U.S., or the world, even, who know people in Boston, have loved ones there. I’m pretty sure they’d like to know what’s going on, too.
            You’re right, this isn’t the 1960s anymore. Which is why, if you really want to watch a show that was pre-empted tonight, you can wait until it pops up online later. Breaking news, especially of this magnitude, is always going to take priority over anything else, as well it should. That’s the way it’s always worked. If you don’t like that, tough.

• Angela says:

*Should’ve clarified that I was referring to lessyap with the “1960s” comment. Sorry for the confusion.

• Katie says:

You really shouldn’t rely on same day coverage for that info anyways. I learned personally, the hard way, that news stations are all about the “story” not the facts this soon after a tragedy. They reported over and over on multiple stations that my father had been killed when we didn’t even know for sure, turned out he wasn’t killed thank god, but never rely on same day news stories.

• Katie says:

I should clarify, it wasn’t in this tragedy.

• Maggie says:

Katy you’re right about not getting news from a single source & I have explained this to my older children. It doesn’t matter if you lean Right, Left or in the Middle! I am not referring to Bill O’Reilly, when I say that since The Internet news sources all “Spin” the news for their own Agenda! You must be talking about another incident, and I am sickened by news sources release too much info and people find out about their loved ones from a TV or The Net! Wrong info about your dad and the needless suffering you had to endure is so wrong! I have a family member involved in a tragedy & although while I was watching Local News they didn’t “Release the Name of the Victim”, they just broadcasted in front of their home! Then the phone rings? I am sorry for all of those suffering right now. Two of my siblings that lived in Boston have moved away in the past 2 years. I just want to say that people aren’t always heartless if they want a break from a horrific tragedy especially if they are regurgitating the same “facts”! I agree with the person who said it’s best to wait until they get their facts straight and I don’t want to hear their SPECULATIONS!

11. I really don’t know if tonight’s all new Revolution is going to pushed back for next Monday and probably if the season finale may expand to two hours on May 27th (Memorial Day) or if the finale gets pushed back to June 3rd. Feeling worried right now on the Boston Marathon attack.

12. This is a horrible tragedy, way more important than a new episode of any television show, but at the same time, I don’t really understand why they are preempting shows for coverage. All that has been on TV since it happened is news coverage, and it’s not like we are going to have any significant amount of new information by 10pm when this airs. I would much prefer to see a news special on the event in a week, when we have more hard facts on the person and the motivation behind the attacks.

I don’t mean that to be insensitive in any way, but as a journalism student, I would love to see the media take a break from coverage for coverage sake, and wait until they have more information to add additional reports.

13. Petar says:

NBC can air Revolution tomorrow at 9 pm.

• Chris says:

Asinine idea. Many people won’t know it’s on, and it will get horrid ratings that can badly damage the long-term future of a serialized show. Some viewers who miss an episode don’t bother to try to catch up.

14. Donna says:

Prays go out to the victims of this senseless attack. I think the news coverage is excessive, especially if there is nothing new to report. In my opinion, over coverage leads news organizations to fill airtime with any information — often with rumors or information that has not been adequately checked. Instead of informing us they mislead and confuse. Why not gather, fact check and confirm for the regular news broadcast and leave the prime time shows on the air to let people get a break from all the bad news. Thank goodness for cable and for the ability to just turn of the tv and read a book!

15. DK says:

DWTS and Castle are going to be on METV station I Think, in the MA area. At least that’s what the crawl at the bottom of the screen on WCVB said.

16. Cyn says:

Although this is a sad tragedy, I don’t see the need for constant coverage into the evening, showing the same footage on a loop and having experts repeating the same things again and again. The investigation is in its early stages and no one has claimed responsibility. What is there new to learn at this point? Let TV viewers have a little escape. If someone wants to see non-stop coverage, they can go to an all news channel or stations can run a news feed at the bottom of the screen.

17. Pepper says:

What has happened is absolutely heartbreaking. But the constant news re-hashing is just too much, and too sensational. And for those farther away who, at this time, can do absolutely nothing about it except pray, what is even more news coverage (and really, I use the words “news coverage” very loosely at this pt) going to accomplish? What big news item regarding it will they have to tell? And if it’s really news, then break into the programming to tell us. Otherwise, just stop with all the constant media blitzing and talking heads when you’ve nothing new really to report.

• Simon Jester says:

@Pepper – You’re being petty. The news coverage is there for those who want it. If it’s too much for you, read a book, watch a DVD, stream something, whatever. But it should be available for those who want it, and not subject to your *subjective* opinion of what constitutes “too much.”

• lyn says:

Since the networks have their own all news stations, there is no need to pre-empt regular programming. Anyone who needs constant updates can go to CNN, Fox News, MSNBC etc. Saturation desensitizes the viewers.

• Simon Jester says:

@lyn – No, something like this needs to be carried on broadcast networks in order to be accessible to the maximum number of people. Not everyone has access to cable networks beyond the basic tier.

• Faster says:

It’s been carried all day and night, and like the above poster said, there are multiple networks who will cover this, not to mention you can get your fill on the internet. You can’t sit around and watch that stuff all day, it’ll drive you nuts.

• John says:

@ Lyn – I could not agree with you more. This is what I thought the creation of these 24/7 News Outlets were for. I am in NY Metro area and the coverage was non-stop from 3pm to 8pm. Enough already. Nothing new to say? Then stop the news.

• Amanda says:

Thank you.

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

I can’t imagine the DWTS cast would even want to perform tonight after this. It was probably pretty tough getting through today’s rehearsal. What they’re doing on that show requires a lot of mental focus, and how can you focus when a tragedy like this is unfolding? I think the networks can take a night off from regular programming. Despite their protests, it really won’t hurt anyone to have to wait a week to see the next new episode of Castle, will it? I mean, come on, people, get some perspective. It is not the end of the world for you if you can’t watch TV for a night. If you are sick of the news and need to be distracted, then go to a movie, go outside and enjoy some spring weather, go visit some family or friends, read a book, take a drive, put in a DVD, watch a movie on Netflix, go out for ice cream. There are a million other things you can do.

19. K says:

It’s pretty sad that the news media forces the repetition down everyone’s throats. Most people already know the news, not have to listen to different people rehash the same things over and over again. Until there is advancement in the story – they should tone it down.

• Simon Jester says:

@K – “It’s pretty sad that the news media forces the repetition down everyone’s throats.”

Is your remote is broken?

20. Angela says:

My god, such horrific news. My thoughts are going out to everyone affected in Boston right now.

21. Petar says:

Good for NBC. Revolution all episode was about finding a bomb so right call.

22. Elena says:

so when is nbc going to air tonights revolution? if not can we watch it online or on demand?

23. Jerry says:

NBC you just let the terrorists win! Yes 2 people died and many were hurt but by devoiting all of your time to this you have given the terrorists just want they want. COVERAGE!

24. IAmHere says:

God Bless America for our strong will to persevere under stressful, and horrible events. He is watching and those who did this horrible act will be judged. You should be ashamed of yourself. Thou shall NOT kill. Honor thy neighbor and respect all God’s creatures. Amen

P.S. Revolution can be watched on TheCW.com tomorrow

25. Bob Franklin says:

I can’t believe NBC isn’t letting me watch my shows. This has been on all day.

• Brandon says:

You have got to be kidding me…if this was NYC or LA and someone said this, people would be freaking out. Im not saying people are against Boston, but seriously who takes TV shows over terrorist attacks?!? Would you be saying the same thing if this was 9/11?

• Chris says:

Yeah, it’s pretty disappointing. Under ordinary circumstances, I would be angry that the show got preempted. But did you know that the episode of Revolution slated to air tonight dealt with the characters trying to locate a bomb? In light of today’s events, IMO airing it would have been tasteless. Holding it back until next week is kind of something NBC has to do, I think.

• Faster says:

Perhaps it is, but I find it somewhat offensive that NBC doesn’t think that grown adults can handle the material of the show just because of the events that took place today.

26. Brandon says:

I get the whole distraction thing and I was so looking forward to Fox tonight, but come on guys, there was a terrorist attack on the BOSTON MARATHON. I think that takes precedent over a new Bones, DWTS (plus idk if Aly would want to being from Mass), Castle, or Revolution. Even if you don’t want 24/7 coverage, most people might, and they are updating us with as much as they can.

27. Brian Ormsby says:

So sad to see that human life means so little… Very sad!

28. Faster says:

What happened today was tragic. However, I for one don’t need to see it all day and night. There is no new news to report, and for those who want to see it played over and over again, there are multiple outlets to do so. Life continues to go on, and the world can’t come to a halt because something tragic happened. Again, it was awful, but let’s not let the fact that a terrible and emotional event happened to the country stop us from moving on from it. Just because you can’t dwell on this all day does not mean that you are insensitive or that you don’t care.

29. Bert says:

Okay, to all you mediatutes, the media is using this attack as a way to draw you in to what they deem “good Tv”,it is sickening. Having seen first hand what real tragic attacks are, this is not one of them. Was it senseless yes, was it terrorism yes, does it warrant national attention yes, does it warrant a running loop of morons spouting their theories not at all! We as Americans should be ashamed that such a miniscule attack makes the nation tremble. America has gotten too complacent and arrogant. Just because we live in America doesn’t make us better than anyone else. Newtown nor Boston are tragedies they are attacks far less horrific than we make them out to be. You want to get up in armsabout something how about kids being killed with machetes in the African genocides or the Islamic people who are killed by our troops and the Taliban daily. Shut up and do something about it or just shut up!

• Alienate says:

Thanks, but you won’t make many friends speaking the truth here….

• Bert says:

I appreciate the gratitude, however I did not say this to make friends. I said it to show these morons that they belong reading and commenting on tabloids, not anything with people who have an I.Q. higher than a spider monkey. I am sick of Americans being holier-than-thou because they think watching tmz makes them informed intelligent people who deserve to be called humans rather than the intellectual amoebas they actually are. And to all those people praying for the victims of the Boston bombing thank you. Now go and do something other than offer sympathies to people reading about a Tv show. Maybe go and donate your time and money to do something about it rather than spout lipservice condolences.

30. Ann says:

I ran across this page trying to find the listing for when the April 15th episode of Revolution would be on again. On the West Coast, at least in Seattle, we didn’t see a Brian Williams news special regarding the Boston Tragedy, all they showed was a local fluff magazine show, without explaining the disruption to the programming schedule (it was recorded so maybe I missed it?). Anyway… I can certainly live with the preemption of Revolution, my hearts go out to the people in Boston. People seem shallow to argue or whine about it.

31. Jacob says:

NBC news is so pathetic

32. Asashii Fustazi says:

Nothing new was broadcast with williams, just the same things we already heard hours before and already a million times, give me updated details please and save the beating the dead horse for the low information crowd.

• Alienate says:

Angela, Did you read this? Did you enjoy watching the horror and gore all nite long?

• Angela says:

Yes, I did read that. And I saw some of it and then my family turned on other things, flipping back on occasion to see if anything had been updated. Not once in my post did I ever imply or outright say that it would be wrong for people to change the channel if they didn’t want to watch the footage all night-in fact I believe I okayed such an action. I understand that not everyone will want to watch this footage for hours on end.
        All I said was that major networks were, logically, going to cover this story since it WAS a pretty massive one, and therefore some shows might be pre-empted as a result. As a result, people shouldn’t really be all that shocked or surprised by that decision-you can live without your episodes for one night, trust me. Besides that, not everyone has cable, or the internet, so the networks may be their only option to hear the news.
        Also, so the news turned out to be repetitive, fine, but what if it hadn’t been? What if some new information HAD come along? What if another bomb had been discovered/gone off? Etc., etc. It makes perfect sense for the channels to stay on the story as long as they feel is necessary. These stories aren’t always going to be quick to update, so people may actually have to exercise some patience from time to time with this stuff. I’d rather have the news come in slow and accurate than fast and inaccurate anyway.

33. Jason Moonen says:

When is this episode being replayed?

34. Ulisess Anguiano says:

i simply do not care about what happened in Boston, and i am more than sure that several other people don’t care, i didn’t get to watch Revolution: Chasing a Nuke To Atlanta. This was BS now i have to wait until next Monday.

35. Dave says:

They should not of to revolution off for speculation about who is responsible for the Bombs in Boston. I was looking forward to watching revolution. Grade A ding dongs made this decision.

36. Joe blow says:

The event at Boston was horrible and my heart goes to the innocent victims whole heartedly, but watching the coverage for even a half hour affects you mentally and it should be your choice to watch the coverage or not. Having it forced on you feels wrong. I mean, are you trying to imply that if you would have rather watched an episode of a show that you enjoy, that you don’t care about people?

37. I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!

38. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who
    was conducting a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me lunch because I discovered it for him…
    lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to talk
    about this matter here on your website.

39. SEO says:

I got this web site from my buddy who told me regarding this website
    and now this time I am browsing this web site
    and reading very informative content here.

40. Hiya, You’ve done a wonderful job. I will surely stumbleupon them and for the part advise to my friends. We’re positive they’ll be took advantage of this website.