Awkward Preview: Does Matty Have Competition? Who's a Third Wheel? And Has Sadie 'Changed'?

Awkward no more?

MTV’s charming teen comedy returns this Tuesday at 10/9c with a new outlook: Now that Jenna and Matty are officially an item – hooray! — they’ll have to figure out how to make a real relationship work, which is no easy task. Meanwhile, Jenna goes from trying to sort out who’s in her heart to who she wants to be and gets a little darker in the process.

VIDEO | Awkward Season 3 Spoilers — Scoop on a Death

“It’s a more mature theme,” says star Ashley Rickards. “The period at the end of Awkward might be a question mark.”

With double the episodes, Season 3 brings a bevy of fresh faces, including a new classmate — and love interest? — played by Glee‘s Nolan Funk and Anthony Michael Hall (The Breakfast Club) as a tough-as-nails teacher. And don’t worry, all your supporting faves like Sadie, Ming and the Asian mafia are there, too — and now there’s more time to give them their due.

TVLine spent some time at the set to get the scoop on Jake and Tamara’s new romance, some big bombshells on the way and why things are still plenty awkward for Jenna and her pals. Click through our character-by-character preview to get the dish:

Comments (25)

• All of this sounds SOOOOOO good!! I’m really looking forward to Season 3, because it all sounds amazing from this.

Comment by iMember – April 15, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how each season of Awkward has its own theme. I love the writers of this show for that.

Season 1 – Who am I?

Season 2 – Who do I want to be with?

Season 3 – Who do I want to be?

Comment by iMember – April 15, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for tomorrow night! Love Awkward!

Comment by Jared – April 15, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Matty ….love the two together!! Nice way to be an inspiration to couples in high school

Comment by Joanne DeLuca Transue – April 15, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love them too, i just hope he doesn’t screw it up

Comment by Christine – April 24, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, nothing on our favorite counselor? I hope Val still has a presence this season, she’s one of my favorites.

Comment by Danielle – April 15, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so great. I got my sister hooked on it. And I can’t wait for it to come back tomorrow night!

Comment by rachelle – April 15, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still super bummed about Jake and Jenna cause I loved them :(

Comment by gabby – April 15, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. :( but trust me, by the end of this season, Jake will have dodged a bullet. Jenna is going to become a horrible person and I hope she gets her stuff together before she totally dies.

Comment by Taylot – June 27, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for the new season. This is genuinely the only show about teenagers that I can watch. It’s so well written, and it’s really taking me back to when I was going through these kinds of things in high school. I really hope Matty and Jenna stay together.

Comment by Spencer – April 15, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the new season.

Comment by Sabrina – April 15, 2013 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Rickards personality has ruined this show for me.

Comment by Mila – April 16, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Matty is going to end up cheating on Jenna with Sadie, seems like their “friendship” is getting a little too friendly. I hope not though cause i am Team Matty all the way

Comment by Christine – April 24, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @ Christine … Couldn’t agree with you more! We all know Sadie has a thing for Matty (who wouldn’t?!?) plus Matty wants that “friendship” relationship with Jenna as she has with Jake. I think this is what will cause him to be more into Sadie. I hope I’m wrong … But after all, it is a show and we all luv some AWKWARD drama! I’m team Matty but we all know they can’t stay together too long before something or someone comes between them – it causes suspense but that’s why we love it!

Comment by Yvette – April 24, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that Jenna and Collin will hook up they are so much alike an they would make a great couple and they have a lot in common and he totally likes her and he’s not afraid to show it :-) fingers crossed for them

Comment by Jessica – May 28, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Jenna cheating on Matty with Collin would be a great idea. Matty is trying his best to be a great boyfriend for her. And I don’t think Matty could cheat on her, he seems so crazy about her. Anyway, whatever happens in their relationship, they should surpass it. Breaking them up would mean that fans rooting up for them to be together for the whole 2 seasons would be devastated. I mean… I’ve waited for like 2 seasons to see them together, and now they might be breaking up? Noooo…. I hope they don’t. Just saying… Hoping for more awkward moments!

Comment by Tin – May 29, 2013 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww … I’m so sad for Matty!! He is so good to her and he’s clearly head over hills. Now that Jenna finally has him … It’s no longer a challenge and I think she’s slowly getting over her Matty phase. I seriously don’t know what she sees in Collin ?? Anyways … I’ll be devastated if Jenna and Matty break up :(

Comment by Yvette – May 31, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Matty and Jenna don’t really fit and they’ve kinda outgrown each other. I don’t think Matty is intellectual enough for Jenna. Collin on the other hand is intelligent, he understands Jenna in ways Matty never could. And while Matty holds Jenna back, Collin pushes her.Besides have you taken a good look at Colling *sigh* he is perf. Definitely TEAM COLLIN!

Comment by Eva – June 1, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you!!!! TEAM COLLIN!

Comment by Alph – June 4, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Collin and jenna are going to hook up but I still want her to stay with Matt Matt, yeah….

Comment by Chizie – June 1, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. Nooooo! I saw the mid season finale last night, and I was like nooooo! MATTY! Team MATTY! No Collin! Team MATTY all the way!

Comment by Taylor – June 12, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The mid-season trailer of awkward reminded me of the book Anna Karenina (I read 2/3 and have yet to finish it. ) Collin is Jenna’s Vronksy and their being together leads her to things she normally wouldn’t. I like Collin, but he’s going to be the ruin of Jenna and who cares about their intellectual compatibility. That just means he more likely to mindf**k Jenna. A person can love many people, but they only have one soul mate and that is Matty.

Comment by Des – June 12, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive been team matty since day 1, so i really think that he and jenna should be together. Unfortunately, i think that jenna will probably choose collin :( i could give a whole long detailed list on why i think jenna would choose matty over collin, but i dont want to type it ALL out

Comment by Emily – June 19, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post