MTV Movie Awards: Best & Worst Moments

mtv movie awards best worst moments 1It would be hard to out-quirk an award show that presents gold-plated popcorn prizes in categories like Best Shirtless Performance and Summer’s Biggest Teen Bad A**. But, while watching the 2013 MTV Movie Awards, TVLine is still endeavoring to do exactly that. So, without further ado, our picks for…

Hottest Tamale | Hostess Rebel Wilson, who early on tells us that she couldn’t believe she didn’t get Jamie Foxx’s role in Django Unchained. “I could play black; I’m really into fat white chicks,” she deadpans. “I’m inside one right now.” Later, during a discussion of body image issues, she flashes us a third nipple, and, while accepting her plaudits for Breakthrough Performance, she challenges presenter Zac Efron to give her “an Australian kiss.” “It’s like a French kiss,” she explains, “but Down Under.”

PHOTOS | Girl Meets World First Look: 11 Photos From the Pilot

The James Franco Nighttime Achievement Award | Who else but James Franco? In the show-opening skit, the erstwhile Wizard transforms Wilson into Iron Mangina. But, he notes, since the costume was made for Mila Kunis, she’ll have to, erm, suck in.

Biggest Bleeping Cheat | Introducing the nominees for Best WTF Moment, Chris Rock and Adam Sandler drop so many F-bombs that, through all the bleeping, we have no @*#!ing idea what they’re saying. Doesn’t seem like it goes over too well, though, even with the folks who can hear: In the audience, Seth Rogen looks like he’s wishing his seat would swallow him whole.

Cutest Butt of a Joke | Channing Tatum’s. The heartthrob’s pert posterior appears twice within the first half hour. Mind you, other bits of his anatomy also get their fair share of attention. “He’s got a magic mic,” Wilson cracks, “that I’d like to sing into.”

The Gen Y Jessica Tandy Award | Emma Watson. Thank God the camera keeps cutting to the Hogwarts grad alive and well in the audience – otherwise, during the Trailblazer tribute to the ingénue, we’d worry that she’d died. (But hey, these are the MTV Movie Awards – Maggie Smith never stood a chance, did she?)

Worst Excuse For Bothering to Put On ChapStik | Bradley Cooper. Accepting his and Jennifer Lawrence’s Best Kiss award for Silver Linings Playbook, the hunk doesn’t lock lips with either of his presenters, Steve Carell or Amanda Seyfried. What a buss’t!

PHOTOS | Glee First Look: ‘Klaine’ Reunited!

Most Surprising Comeback | Amanda Bynes. Okay, Amanda Bynes isn’t really there. But doesn’t Ke$ha look just like the down-on-her-luck sitcom starlet, especially paired, as she is here, with Snoop Lion, lotsa billowing pot smoke and an outfit straight out of Kmart’s Huggy Bear Collection?

Biggest Loser | Russell Crowe. Aside from being notoriously crankypants, who’d he piss off? Not only does Franco cheekily refer to him as “my favorite Australian singer,” but Wilson later cracks that universally panned Les Miserables warbler couldn’t attend the ceremony because “he’s working on his new movie – Pitch Not Perfect.”

Biggest Misstep Not Involving Stilettos | Wilson. An extended bit in which she uses her stuffed koala Chlamydia’s X-ray vision on all-stars in the audience falls surprisingly flat. (Capt. America Chris Evans is wearing panties and desperately needs a wax, we see, for instance.) The kind of vision really needed here is foresight.

The “And They Say Romance Is Dead” Award | Will Ferrell. After Aubrey Plaza tries to steal his Comedic Genius popcorn (“Just like we rehearsed it,” he says but we don’t quite believe), the funnyman rebounds by bringing his family on stage – played by a group of Asian actors that (wink, wink) we know are not his family – and renewing his wedding vows with his disinterested “wife.”

Best Sport | Taylor Lautner. Twilight’s teen wolf claims his Shirtless trophy sipping a Big Gulp and rocking a middle-aged paunch. “This is like winning the Oscar,” he deadpans before giving shout-outs to his fellow topless stars: “McConaughey… Tatum… Lena Dunham.”

The “Sh–My Dad Says” Award | Accepting his MTV Generation popcorn, Django star Foxx charmingly notes that his 19-year-old daughter is not only beautiful (and is she – wow!) but single. But, he adds, no doubt sending her embarrassment soaring even further off the charts, “Dial it down a little bit on that dress.”

PHOTOS | Revenge Season Finale Shocker: Someone’s About to [Spoiler] — But Who?!

Best Grizzly Adams Impersonation | Liam Hemsworth. Introducing an in-show commercial – sorry, preview – for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, he sports such a thick beard, he could be auditioning for a ZZ Top movie. (And why is the camera so close to his face, it’s practically bumping into his nose?)

Most Cunning Linguist | Joss Whedon. The Avengers director says he and his superheroes are humbled by their Movie of the Year honor. Then, realizing that they are actually the opposite of humbled since, hey, they won, he searches for just the right word and decides that they’re actually “Bieber’d to be standing here.”

So what did you think of the show? Did you like Wilson as host? Sound off below.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Awards

1. Joss Whedon’s speech was the best of the night. Especially when he thanked the clowns on stage and the clowns that couldn’t be there.

2. luli says:

It was boring for the most part… Couldn’t be more excited about Catching fire!!! agfhajkdfh the trailer was wow.

3. Jennifer says:

Tom Hiddleston rocks! All hail, Loki! Only interesting part of show. To raunchy and boring. Tuned out as soon as Seth dropped his pants, PG-14? Don’t think so, more like NC-17+++. Clearly MTV isn’t what it used to be, which is sad. So many f-bombs it felt like tv was on mute.

• Chris Briano says:

I agree with JENNIFER 100%… MTV DIDNT EVEN TRY this year.
      NO props, it was just terrible. AND WHILE I LOVE ”THE AVENGERS”wasn’t wasnt ”The Hunger Games” nominated ?

MTV… GET IT TOGETHER MAN…SHOW SOME PRIDE WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT!!!
      Oh…and keep the drunk girls off the stage Morons. Lol

• DDB says:

The Hunger Games was nominated for last year’s Movie Awards.

• chris briano says:

I MUST NOT KNOW WHAT A YEAR IS THEN… OR MTV DOESNT KNOW???
          HUNGER GAMES (U.S.) release date: March 23, 2012
          THE AVENGERS (U.S.) release date: May 4th, 2012

I don’t know, I see ”2012” on both… with ONLY A MONTH & a few days in between. I guess it further just adds to the frustration with the entire night in my opinion.
          Still…I very much appreciate the reply, and apologize for the previous context/spelling, my mobile was acting up, well today IS another day and I will close with this, MTV please review old footage, there was a time you would nearly rival the ”real” awards shows with celebrity after major celebrity in attendance, now your just resorting to vulgarity and poor, poor disrespectful ”humor”… again, just my opinion… but, perhaps I AM JUST SPOILED from shows of the MTV PAST?
          God Bless. I’m OUT.
          -Chris Briano, Santa Cruz, Ca

• Elf says:

You’re right it is only a month. But, it happens to be the months of April, which is when the Movie Awards air (see: calendars).

• Ruby says:

You must be from Utah.

4. Billy says:

On the Russell Crowe front Rebel Wilson said on the Tonight Show earlier this week that he was a complete jerk to her (said something to the effect of f*** off) once when she tried to thank Nicole Kidman for a scholarship (to an acting school) she gave her when she was younger…so that might be where all the jabs to him since she wrote everything herself

5. Spencer says:

Yeah the only reason anyone watched any of this show was for the Catching Fire trailer….

• lariet50 says:

Too true, and too sad. I couldn’t stomach it – I waited until the put the trailer up online. Looks good, but I think it’s going to stray farther from the book than I’d like.

6. Natalie says:

I thought it sucked for the most part. The joke were not funny and all the laughing seemed to be forced. This awards show went from new and interesting in the 80’s and 90’s to just a sad pathetic reason to get a group of Hollywood elites together. It is time for Mtv to just nix the whole thing. In fact it is time for Mtv just to go away. It is no longer entertaining to see anything they show.

7. Remer says:

Shockingly bad this year! The show gets worse and worse. It’s rather unfunny and boring and the stars seem to be getting tired of it as well. Freshen it up, calm down the screaming fans and get a better host

8. Victoriagirl says:

The whole show was stupid and unfunny but the worst moment was when Seth Rogan and Danny McBride dropped their pants when they knew there was a 9 year old child in the audience. ( There was even a shot of her mother turning her daughters head away)

9. Chris Briano says:

I wonder if REBEL WILSON has caught her breath yet, that opening then the first presenter (lady from BRIDESMAIDS) couldnt breathe either, they they climb a friggin mountian to get there??? LMAO … MTV DIDNT EVEN TRY this year.
    NO props, it was just terrible. AND WHILE I LOVE ”THE AVENGERS’ ‘why wasnt ”The Hunger Games” nominated ? dont know what was worse, Samuel L. Jacksons old ass tryin to ‘act’ young droppin f’bombs every chance he got…(bro, it was funny 10 years ago…yeah, yeah, we know you dont like M.F Snakes..but clean it up…there was what??? A 8 year old there?) And…
    Selena Gomez lip-sync… terrible!! Except for the part when forgot to sing…all 5 or 6 times… (sarcasim) ;

MTV… GET IT TOGETHER MAN…SHOW SOME PRIDE WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT!!!
    Oh…and keep the drunk girls off the stage… and the idiots Keep their pants up. You can be funny without being tasteless…just try it. Morons. Lol
    omg… i can go on and on… like the speaches on the MTV AWARDS… BUT… Ill stop now… gonna see what is on VH1… lol…

IM OUT… PEACE YO!!!
    -Chris Briano, Santa Cruz, CA

10. Maggie says:

there was so much potential for the opener to be AWESOME with the Pitch Perfect cast and it just wasn’t…which was a bummer…it started off well then just became a totally mess.

11. Lisa says:

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, the only reason I tuned in. Thank god for dvr’s.

12. dude says:

Rebel was a great host saddled with awful material. They kept panning to the same three people because no one bothered to show up. I swear the celebrity attendance was pretty much every one that presented/won/performed. Seth Rogan looked beyond embarrassed to be there.

13. Shyler says:

I ended up changing the channel about 20 minutes into the 2013 MTV Movie Awards, it was TERRIBLE!! The stage was boring, the intro was absolutely horrific and the material they gave poor Rebel Wilson was really really bad. Every celebrity the camera panned to sitting in the audience looked bored and or embarrassed to even be there. I LOVE awards shows and have been watching them my whole life. This is the first time I was so discussed I changed the channel. MTV, you get a big, fat F-!

14. Ruby says:

I thought it was really fun, and totally refreshing that FINALLY it wasn’t “The Twilight Show” for once. Taylor Lautner’s bit had me laughing big belly laughs out loud…Seth Rogen’s too. And I thought Rebel Wilson as host was terrific. Excuse the pun, but she was “pitch perfect” for this particular gig.

15. LaurenMC says:

It was not funny or entertaining at all. Rebel Wilson was just OK. Selena Gomez was AWFUL. There were practically no celebrities there. Also, I’m confused – why was the final installment of Twilight not nominated for anything? Not that I personally think it’s award worthy, but it was confusing that the only nomination it got was for Taylor Lautner’s chest.

• linds says:

Because Twilight always won everything and I guess MTV wanted to switch it up to get more viewers. Since every year its always the same

16. Me says:

The Moron TV Awards is NOT, I repeat NOT an awards show. It is an absolute joke to the real, true awards show like The Acadamy Awards or the Gold Globes. Most, if not all of the categories are childish.

• chris briano says:

I just realized you called the ”MTV MOVIE AWARDS” SHOW… THE ”MORON T.V.” AWARDS SHOW IN A PLAY ON ”M” (for moron).TV.”… Classic. LOL. Nice Job! Lmao. (Sorry, I just thought that was really funny because I think I used MORON about 4-5 times in my original post).

17. chris briano says:

one thing about this whole fiasco…
    (And SELENA GOMEZ WORST PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT AWARD!)
    KIM KARDASHIAN’S ‘HUGE-NESS’ (hugeness?? LOL) anyway, she was able to skip under the radar.
    Yes, I KNOW she is pregnant, but its only been a few months… DAMN GIRL… 205 lbs and climbing!? Your the ‘SECOND’ Biggest KARDASHIAN but the race IS ON! BE CAREFUL AND…Good Luck!? Lol

18. liliana says:

I am so happy for Tom Hiddleston he deserved, love him!!! His speech was flawless, and Avengers won best movie and fight, so happy and Bilbo won too, so was a good night!

19. Six says:

Terrible!!’

20. linds says:

It was boring.

21. missmiggles says:

That was the by far the worst telecast of anything I’ve ever had the misfortune of watching. I left the room 30 minutes in but could still hear what was happening as my husband kept watching in the hopes it would get better. It. Did. Not. Get. Better.
    I enjoyed Tom Hiddleston who tried his darndest to inflect some semblance of classiness to the affair and I enjoyed Selena’s performance as I wanted to hear her new song but that’s about it.
    Raunchy, crude and tasteless.

• chris briano says:

You enjoyed Selena’s performance!???
      Oh, that’s right, you said you left the room, so you ”heard” Selena’s performance which was just her song playing in the background, ummm… get on you tube and watch the performance, it was terrible, and on more then one occasion she quit singing while the words kept coming from someplace… yeah… the song playing over the PA SYSTEM. Yeah… do yourself a favor and check it out.
      I too watched and hoped it would get better… it was terrible… 2 hours of my life…gone. :(

• Alan J P says:

I agree the song is bad, real bad. But she didn’t mine. The chorus was a recorded backing but you could hear all the bad notes. There could be a difference in the versions we saw. In Europe we see it a day later and with editing and such these things could have been fixed. Do you have a link to the on the night live one? The whole show was bad. I remember the movie award show in years gone by as bigger …… better……and really entertaining. This just looked like amateur hour.

22. Chang says:

Were Ke$ha and Snoop smoking weed on stage?

23. Bob says:

What executive at MTV thinks Wilson is both good and funny?