Ratings: Happy Endings Depressed, Vegas Dips

Ratings Happy Endings NikitaA sum total of two broadcast programs — plucky Nikita and, well, Fashion Star — saw ratings gains this Friday night.

The CW’s perennial bubble drama spied 1.32 million total viewers while scoring a 0.4 demo rating, ticking up 8 percent and a tenth week-to-week. A Carrie Diaries repeat (590K/0.2) matched Cult‘s final telecast. UPDATE: Per finals, Nikita was adjusted down to a 0.3 aka no gain.

RELATED | Nikita Season 3 Spoilers — Devon Sawa on Playing a New Character

NBC’s Fashion Star meanwhile rose 11 percent and two tenths, to 2.9 mil/0.8.

Taking the biggest week-to-week hit was ABC’s Happy Endings, which returned to its Friday debut levels. The first episode (2.8 mil/0.8) dropped 15 and 27 percent, while the second half-our (2.1 mil/0.6) was down 22 and 40 percent, besting only the aforementioned Nikita. Following a Shark Tank rerun, 20/20 (5.4 mil/1.5) delivered the night’s best demo.

RELATED | Happy Endings May Jump to USA Network If ABC Cancels Cult Fave

Over on CBS, Undercover Boss (7.3 mil/1.4) fell 14 and 18 percent and won its time slot in both measures; Vegas (7 mil/0.8) dipped 9 percent and a tenth but led its hour in viewers; and Blue Bloods (10.25 mil/1.3) slipped 7 percent and two tenths, copping Friday’s largest audience.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Elyse says:

Vegas :(

2. Katrin says:

Now that made a LOT of sense to run re-runs of Carrie Diaries instead of giving “us” the last few episodes of “Cult”… the ratings will be SO much better… NOT… as we have proof now… seriously, sometimes I wanna know what goes on in the head of those tv-channel bosses… switch a lot rated show with another that didn’t have much better ratings at all and then show repeats… very effective!

• Katrin says:

I meant low rated show, sorry!

• Greg says:

look at it from the other side, a repeat of carrie diaries, which has low ratings even when its a new episode on its own night, had as many viewers as a new episode of cult. that is just sad.

3. Sally says:

Just play Cult instead.

4. Eric says:

Sigh. I love you, Happy Endings, but it doesn’t appear as though you’ll be at ABC must longer. And, as far as I know, we Canadians don’t get USA, so even if the show moves there, it seems as though I’m out of luck…

5. WayneInNYC says:

I’m furious that The CW was too stupid to air the last few episodes of CULT before it went away for good. Seriously IDIOTIC decision. We know there was no hope for a second season, but some of us were enjoying it. The show had already wrapped BEFORE they started airing them, so it’s not like it would have cost them anything to reward the faithful viewers. I hope they at least put them on line for us, or make them available on DVD – but this *IS* the CW we’re talking about, so I won’t hold my breath.

• Chris says:

Okay, you clearly don’t understand the basics of how this all works, so I’ll explain things to you, highly simplified. It actually DOES cost the CW to air a show with ratings as smelly as Cult’s. Advertisers pay good money to air commercials during shows. If a program does not reach the level of viewership that the advertiser pays for, the network must give make-goods (additional advertising for no cost until the desired viewership level is reached). With Cult crapping out so badly, it is losing money for the CW, plain and simple.

• I was surprised The CW pulled Cult simply because the episodes had already been produced (they filmed the whole season before it started airing). Regardless of how bad the ratings were, it’s not like they were saving money by pulling it from the schedule since they’d already produced the episodes anyway. Unless it’s simply a matter of wanting to save face, and if new episodes of Cult were going to get the same numbers as repeats of other shows, better have the repeats get them.

• Martoukian says:

There’s also a chance that the Carrie Diaries might benefit from an extra showing on Friday, whereas Cult has nothing to gain. If someone who’s never seen CD before caught it on Friday and liked it, they might increase the viewership on its regular night.

6. Aryn says:

Ugh, Happy Endings is dead now…put it back on Wednesday nights ABC :( beyond sad, such a fun group of characters and can be so good!! The little show that could, might become a fatality thanks to it’s demotion to Friday night where all sitcoms go to die :( :(

7. rebecca says:

I still love you Happy Endings.. and if you get picked up elsewhere, I will follow. keeping my fingers crossed.

8. ollie says:

yea nikita

9. Brandon says:

This is really sad for Happy Endings. Truly one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a long time. (Although it’s not like anything else is doing much better on Friday nights…)

• Tim Doyle says:

Last man standing has been doing very solid numbers in this slot, pretty much twice Happy Endings’ rating in the key demographic.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I think LMS and Malibu Country were both well outperforming HE on Fridays. It’s really a shame; I know humor is relative but I really believe Happy Endings in the funniest comedy on any network right now(the episodes that have aired since moving to Fridays have been especially on-point) but I think I’d probably drop my jaw if ABC gave it another season at this juncture.

• Martoukian says:

If you put a Blue Ribbon committee to work designing a show that would fit on ABC at 8 Eastern on Friday night, Happy Endings is perhaps the opposite of what they’d come up with. Great show, but completely out of place.

10. Chad says:

BASEBALL preempted HAPPY ENDINGS in many major markets….not ok it went down, but what you gonna do??!

11. Lorie says:

I really hope Vegas gets renewed.

12. joe says:

Nikita,good job.to all the fans,well done. Keep watching…& CW,Season 4 is a no brainer…just do it already!

13. shuayb says:

I’m loving that whem Nikita airs eps week after week it gets stronger… Now if The CW can see that we’ll be a for okay. I hope we get another season. I really think that it can do well on another night…

14. kema says:

Nikita Season 4 Please

15. Tara says:

I can’t believe after 4 months off, Grimm was a rerun already!

16. Rachel says:

I was watching the incredible Spartacus: War of the Damned finale! Now that is excellent television that will be greatly missed!

17. Nikita’s ratings are pretty much irrelevant since the hope of syndication is expected to get it renewed, but I’m glad it rose. Hopefully it doesn’t adjust down!

18. Mikael says:

Happy Endings really isn’t a Friday night show, which is usually home to more family sitcoms like LMS and Malibu. It should be on a different night. And I think a different network. I would love to see a Cougar Town/Happy Endings combo, but if it gets to survive being on USA, I’ll take it

19. Gerald says:

Yay Nikita. Show keeps you on the edge of your seat. So good. And the ratings are making me feel better about the next season happening.
    Happy Endings… I love it and hope it gets renewed on some network somewhere.