NCIS Exclusive: A JAG Favorite to Return in This Season's 'Nail-Biter' of a Finale

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

NCIS Season 10 SpoilersAll hands on deck: A beloved JAG officer is poised to show up just when NCIS needs him most.

John M. Jackson will reprise his role of Judge Advocate General A.J. Chegwidden in the JAG spin-off’s 10th season finale, which finds a federal witch hunt threatening the future of Gibbs’ gang.

RELATED | CBS Season Finale Spoilers — NCISHow I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife and More

“We needed a lawyer, a really good lawyer, to assist Gibbs and the team in the finale,” NCIS executive producer Gary Glasberg tells TVLine exclusively.

Enter Chegwidden, now retired from the Navy, who will step away from his powerful D.C. law firm to help Gibbs & Co. in the episode. Glasberg calls the outing a “nail-biter which will hopefully leave fans stunned all summer long.”

Fans of JAG will remember Chegwidden as Mac and Harm’s boss – and sometime father figure – whose gruff demeanor belied a deep devotion to his team. He was in charge during the Season 8 episodes that introduced Mark Harmon’s Gibbs and served as NCIS‘ planted pilot.

RELATED | Complete Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

Since leaving JAG in 2004, Jackson has guest-starred on series including Bones, Private Practice, CSI, Castle and Perception.

The retired Navy big shot is just one of the surprise guest-stars who’ll show up during the eventful season-ender, which airs Tuesday, May 14 (8/7c).

“Our NCIS team may never be the same again,” Glasberg adds.

Comments (131)

• i love NCIS so much

Comment by jamie lee warner – May 1, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t Patrick (apologies for not remembering how to spell your surname good sir) who played Lt JG Bud Roberts in Jag also pop up in a non-bud role as the head of securlty for a shopping mall or some such thing? It was def in NCIS or NCIS LA (probably the former since I can’t bring myself to watch the latter due to Chris O’Dreadfuls acting)? Or did I dream that up. Bringing back Chegwidden is a “hell yeah” move at my house. Very happy to hear it. No matter what else I see that man act in, to me he’s always gonna be AJ!

Comment by Andrew – May 2, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget Alicia Coppola as Lt. Cmdr. Faith Coleman (JAG: Meltdown 2003) on Season 2, Episode 7 Call of Silence.

Comment by FreddyF (@freddyfl) – May 15, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Admiral Chegwidden turn up at the NCIS HQ, look at McGhee in the face and say, “you know… you remind me of the son of someone that I once knew”.

Comment by Paul Chao – June 15, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recently caught up. Om gosh I totally wagged out! Just to see Jackson show up and be Chegwidden. I was in emotional overload. Can he keep popping up?

Comment by Lady DY – July 29, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jag my favourite. I still feel bitter we didn’t get the fairy tale wedding of Harm & Mac. I watched every episode to witness any meaningful interaction between the two. OMG Mac is so hot- please finish the job CBS. The way the show ended was just not right and is right up there like Last Resort was cut short too. Message from Australia

Comment by Maher – August 9, 2013 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessssss, Sarah McKenzie as a Brigadier General instead, on san Diego
    My favourite actress on JAG Catherine Bell for Lt.Col.Sarah MacKanzie
    I hated Harm only Womanizer, is not necessary for me on JAG
    Please Bellisario Start JAG Tv Movie o 11° Series.

P.S. sorry my bad english.

Comment by D.P. Isa – August 20, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish JAG would come back. Was a great show. Ncis really doesnt work for me.

Comment by steve – September 3, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post