Ratings: Hannibal, Glee, Community Inch Up

Get More: Ratings

Hannibal - Season 1UPDATED: Facing repeats of Scandal and Elementary, Hannibal grew in Week 2 with 4.4 million viewers and a 1.7 demo rating (vs 4.3 million and 1.6 for last week’s premiere.)

In today’s ultra-competitive TV landscape, that’s a win for NBC.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

Over on Fox, a strengthening American Idol (12.7 million/3.1) helped Glees school shooting-themed episode (6.8 million/2.4) surge 20 percent percent in viewers and 18-49 compared to its last original outing three weeks ago.

NBC, meanwhile, saw The Office and Community (puppets make everything better!) rise 6 and 10 percent respectively, while Parks and Recreation and Go On were flat.

ABC (with the exception of Wife Swap), CBS and The CW were in repeat mode.

Comments (56)

• Do you know of the name of an upcoming criminal drama about two police officers one female one male. It is based on a book series. I apologize for the lact of detail, that is all I can remember

Comment by joshua smith – April 12, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this the show that has John Tenney (from the Closer) staring in it?

Comment by Jack – April 12, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not sure if that is the show joshua was talking about but the one with Tenney is called King and Maxwell. It is based on a book series.

Comment by Lola – April 12, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That was it. Thank you so much

Comment by joshua smith – April 12, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Awesome! I love those books by David Baldacci

Comment by Whovian – April 12, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was it, thank you so much.

Comment by joshua smith – April 12, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It premieres June 10th on TNT just so you know :) i have it marked on my calendar so i don’t forget!

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the show you are thinking about is ‘The Bridge’ on FX with Diane Kruger and Damien Bachir, where they are police from the US and Mexico investigating a murder that occurs on the border. I think its based on a Swedish series and a novel.

Comment by Spencer – April 12, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that one sounds good! is it new or is it an already established series?

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • New series premiering in July on FX.

Comment by Jason – April 12, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • sounds awesome ill have to check it out!!

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 04:15 PM PDT
  • Come on NBC, you can renew Go On and Community!!!

Comment by Joe – April 12, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (Cont…) They should renew them both and pair them together on a Tuesday night!!!

Comment by Joe – April 12, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That makes too much sense for them to actually do that!

Comment by Lourdes – April 12, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha! Sad but true! NBC can be so stupid sometimes!

Comment by Jenny – April 12, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sign me up for a Tuesday night of Go On, Community, and Parenthood, all season long.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 12, 2013 03:16 PM PDT
  • That doesnt really make sense to me. If people tuned in for Community and The Office, they would have stuck around for Parks.

Comment by jordan – April 12, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community got lower ratings than Parks. It just went up from last week while Parks was steady. Not a surprising thing at all.

Comment by D'Arcy – April 12, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parks & Rec was the only show I didn’t watch in NBC from 8-10. Never really interested me.

Comment by Meg – April 12, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Parks and Rec is by far the best show on television, definitely NBC. It really needs to get renewed for several more seasons.

Comment by Spencer – April 12, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are missing out! It has been my absolute favorite show since its second season. If you were into the first few seasons of The Office, you will really enjoy. Except these characters are better because they actually care about each other.

Comment by Lauren – April 12, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the only NBC comedy I watch. I first caught the first season on Netflix and became immediately hooked.

Comment by Babygate – April 12, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You should give it a shot. Season 1 was not that great but they fixed it starting in season 2 and then it really hit the stride in S3. It’s very lighthearted and fun compared to all the dark comedy out there The ep that won me over was season 2, I think, when the whole town was arguing to put Twilight in their time capsule after one of the residents chains himself to a pipe in the Parks department. They did such an awesome job building a show around an entire town full of unique idiots. It’s like The Office but the whole town is full of unique personalities.

Comment by R.O.B. – April 13, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s strange, but NBC is currently my favorite network. It’s unfortunate that they’re struggling with poor ratings. I desperately hope that Community and Hannibal will be renewed. Go On and The New Normal too, for that matter.

Comment by Eric – April 12, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, something tells me you dont read the comments section like Mitovich, but just in case, today is the last day of the Veronica Mars kickstarter, we need more backers and more money, do an article on it!

Comment by Jason – April 12, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Veronica Mars movie has enough money now. You should give to associations and other humanitarian organizations now, thank you.

Comment by Allan – April 12, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow you suck

Comment by B – April 12, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why can’t people give to both? So judgey.

Comment by KSM – April 12, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually have to agree with you… $5 million is MORE than enough to make a decent movie. What about the amazing inventions that need funding and people who are in need? Give it in the name of a Veronica Mars character if you must, but what about those who are really in need?

Comment by jalahyacinth – April 12, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • it’s almost 5.5 million now. i had to cancel my kickstarter pledge yesterday because i switched bank accounts and won’t have my new debit card in time to pay the $50 i pledged :( i’m sure they’ll be fine without me though!

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh lord, lets dont start the whole kickstarter vs charity thing again.

TL;DR Just because someone gives to one doesn’t mean they cant or don’t donate to the other.

Comment by Jason – April 12, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just a little over 1000 more backers needed to break the all time Kickstarter record for number of backers on a project.

Comment by Jason – April 12, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling the reason why Glee did as well as it did is because Grey’s and PoI were repeats, but that’s JMO.

Comment by Sarah – April 12, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It happens every week that Glee is new and everything else in repeats. It’s not just your opinion, it’s Fox playing the rating game.

Comment by Amanda – April 12, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love it when they do this. As someone who watches both Glee and Grey’s, it is awesome when I have the other one to watch when one is on a repeat!

Comment by KSM – April 12, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well well well… a McKinley High centered episode with high audiences! HOW? ! So many Rachel-Kurt fans said they didn’t care about such episodes. I guess they should suck a hot one!

Comment by OWL – April 12, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!!!

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s hard to resist such an eloquent and well thought argument. Let’s recap: this episode sensationalized one of the most relevant and polarizing discussions in our current socio-political environment. For what I read, it was all an accident caused by Becky, the girl with Down’s Syndrome and Sue, instead of getting her help decided to cover up for her. Which underscores the incredible ignorance and stupidity of the writers and producers since everyone knows these tragic public shootings are generally caused by people with mental problems who did not get the help they needed. Still, Glee went for the quick buck and jumped in the bandwagon. In addition to the morbid curiosity caused by the hype, Glee literally had no competition. Personally, I did not tune in to watch. I will return next week once NY is back in play.

Comment by Babygate – April 12, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or maybe it highlights your ignorance because they’re not making Sue out to be a hero who made all the right decisions. And your stupidity for trying to review something you didn’t watch.

Comment by Timmah – April 12, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Your ability to infer from context is sorely lacking. I did not state or imply Sue was presented as a hero. The point you conveniently missed is that while they produced this episode under the guise of relevancy and to create or heighten awareness, they unintentionally highlighted the real problem which is our inability or unwillingness as a society to rein in the effects of mental illness on our communities as illustrated by Sue’s unwillingness to speak the truth about Becky. By failing to procure the help this girl needs, Sue is enabling her troubling behavior. This is the most compelling argument on this issue. But that is not the argument they tried to make. Instead they went for the cheap and misleading political talking points. And because I wanted to know what I was talking about, I did go back and watch the episode. Granted, I fast forwarded a lot, but I watched all the Sue parts and my opinion is confirmed. Every time ‘celebrities’ try to opine on politics they end up revealing how deeply uninformed and misguided they are.

Comment by Babygate – April 12, 2013 02:43 PM PDT
        • Since you didn’t watch it perhaps you should shut up!!!

Comment by Boiler – April 12, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To use an equally mature argument, make me. Now, read my response above and realize that I caught the show later.

Comment by Babygate – April 12, 2013 03:35 PM PDT
  • It is pretty remarkable to see how well Parks has continued to do on Thursday nights. Even though every other show has begun to experience rapid drops, Park’s audience continues to turn out. I can only imagine what would happen if NBC stopped moving it around so much and didn’t place it on such random hiatuses.

Hopefully season six will be more stable for the show and the network.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 12, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC has not moved Parks around. For as long as I can remember, it’s been on Thursdays at 8:30.

Comment by Tenney – April 12, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It started at 9:30 this season, moved to 8:30 in January, and next week we have episodes at 9 and 9:30. The final two episodes of this season will then air at 9:30. I call that moving it around.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 12, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly – and that’s just this season. Last season it started at 9:30, went on hiatus, then came back at 8:30. There’s also been a fun stat floating around that NBC hasn’t aired more than 3 consecutive new episodes of Parks at any point this season. And of course, let’s not forget the time NBC pushed it back to January and reduced its episode order to 16. It’s kind of a miracle the ratings are steady (if not spectactular) given the inconsistent scheduling.

Comment by Michelle – April 12, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannibal keeping steady in it’s second second episode is actually a big deal. Most shows drop after the premier.

Comment by Jack – April 12, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With NBC losing 30 ROCK and THE OFFICE on Thursday nights, they need to retain some comedies for continuity. Especially since PARKS has not shown itself to be strong enough to act as an anchor for the night.

As long as COMMUNITY retains numbers against originals of BIG BANG THEORY (I maintain the shows cannibalize the same audience), NBC should stick with it. At least a pickup of 13 episodes for September, instead of 13 episodes for “whenever.”

GO ON may not be enough to “anchor” the night at 9 pm, but it has established an audience and could be a nice lead-in for PARKS.

That leaves the 8:30 pm slot for a new sitcom, something NBC has done haphazardly over the past 20 years.

Comment by MrJeff2000 – April 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannibal should be moved to Tuesdays at 10, after The Voice at 9pm.

Comment by David4 – April 12, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Parenthood should be getting 24 episode orders and air in that slot all year.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 12, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • relax, Community fans — BBT was a repeat

Comment by PutAForkInIt – April 12, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Community every week, but where as last year I was passionate about getting another season, I’m rather ambivalent about it now. Glad they went up last night though as I enjoyed the puppet episode.

Comment by Jess (@CrashandBurn9) – April 12, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you, Jess. At this point I watch it whenever and find that I no longer laugh repeatedly throughout the show. It’s lost it’s magic as far as I’m concerned. I really wasn’t big on the singing puppet episode or any of this season. I don’t hope for a cancellation, but I’m not eagerly hoping for a renewal either. HAte to say it, but Community has seen far better days.

Comment by tripoli – April 13, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason why glee is doing better is because the grey and poi is in repeat

Comment by para – April 12, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is that the only reason Hannibal did better too?? For the Glee haters this show glorifies a serial killer…worse to me

Comment by Boiler – April 12, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just catching up with Hannibal. I have to say, this show really spotlights some of the most egregious of criminal behaviors. It is troubling to watch. But what keeps me riveted is the cerebral nature of the show. Lecter’s mental manipulations and Will’s troubled self-awareness. And is it me or does Will’s voice sound an awful lot like Sir Anthony Hopkins who played the original Lecter?

Comment by Babygate – April 12, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post