Ratings: Hannibal, Glee, Community Inch Up

Hannibal - Season 1UPDATED: Facing repeats of Scandal and Elementary, Hannibal grew in Week 2 with 4.4 million viewers and a 1.7 demo rating (vs 4.3 million and 1.6 for last week’s premiere.)

In today’s ultra-competitive TV landscape, that’s a win for NBC.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

Over on Fox, a strengthening American Idol (12.7 million/3.1) helped Glees school shooting-themed episode (6.8 million/2.4) surge 20 percent percent in viewers and 18-49 compared to its last original outing three weeks ago.

NBC, meanwhile, saw The Office and Community (puppets make everything better!) rise 6 and 10 percent respectively, while Parks and Recreation and Go On were flat.

ABC (with the exception of Wife Swap), CBS and The CW were in repeat mode.

1. joshua smith says:

Do you know of the name of an upcoming criminal drama about two police officers one female one male. It is based on a book series. I apologize for the lact of detail, that is all I can remember

2. Joe says:

Come on NBC, you can renew Go On and Community!!!

3. jordan says:

That doesnt really make sense to me. If people tuned in for Community and The Office, they would have stuck around for Parks.

• D'Arcy says:

Community got lower ratings than Parks. It just went up from last week while Parks was steady. Not a surprising thing at all.

• Meg says:

Parks & Rec was the only show I didn’t watch in NBC from 8-10. Never really interested me.

• Spencer says:

Parks and Rec is by far the best show on television, definitely NBC. It really needs to get renewed for several more seasons.

• Lauren says:

You are missing out! It has been my absolute favorite show since its second season. If you were into the first few seasons of The Office, you will really enjoy. Except these characters are better because they actually care about each other.

• Babygate says:

This is the only NBC comedy I watch. I first caught the first season on Netflix and became immediately hooked.

• R.O.B. says:

You should give it a shot. Season 1 was not that great but they fixed it starting in season 2 and then it really hit the stride in S3. It’s very lighthearted and fun compared to all the dark comedy out there The ep that won me over was season 2, I think, when the whole town was arguing to put Twilight in their time capsule after one of the residents chains himself to a pipe in the Parks department. They did such an awesome job building a show around an entire town full of unique idiots. It’s like The Office but the whole town is full of unique personalities.

4. Eric says:

It’s strange, but NBC is currently my favorite network. It’s unfortunate that they’re struggling with poor ratings. I desperately hope that Community and Hannibal will be renewed. Go On and The New Normal too, for that matter.

5. Jason says:

Ausiello, something tells me you dont read the comments section like Mitovich, but just in case, today is the last day of the Veronica Mars kickstarter, we need more backers and more money, do an article on it!

• Allan says:

The Veronica Mars movie has enough money now. You should give to associations and other humanitarian organizations now, thank you.

• B says:

Wow you suck

• KSM says:

Why can’t people give to both? So judgey.

• jalahyacinth says:

I actually have to agree with you… $5 million is MORE than enough to make a decent movie. What about the amazing inventions that need funding and people who are in need? Give it in the name of a Veronica Mars character if you must, but what about those who are really in need?

• Elyse says:

it’s almost 5.5 million now. i had to cancel my kickstarter pledge yesterday because i switched bank accounts and won’t have my new debit card in time to pay the $50 i pledged :( i’m sure they’ll be fine without me though!

• Jason says:

Oh lord, lets dont start the whole kickstarter vs charity thing again.

TL;DR Just because someone gives to one doesn’t mean they cant or don’t donate to the other.

• Jason says:

Just a little over 1000 more backers needed to break the all time Kickstarter record for number of backers on a project.

6. Sarah says:

I have a feeling the reason why Glee did as well as it did is because Grey’s and PoI were repeats, but that’s JMO.

• Amanda says:

It happens every week that Glee is new and everything else in repeats. It’s not just your opinion, it’s Fox playing the rating game.

• KSM says:

I love it when they do this. As someone who watches both Glee and Grey’s, it is awesome when I have the other one to watch when one is on a repeat!

• OWL says:

Well well well… a McKinley High centered episode with high audiences! HOW? ! So many Rachel-Kurt fans said they didn’t care about such episodes. I guess they should suck a hot one!

• Babygate says:

It’s hard to resist such an eloquent and well thought argument. Let’s recap: this episode sensationalized one of the most relevant and polarizing discussions in our current socio-political environment. For what I read, it was all an accident caused by Becky, the girl with Down’s Syndrome and Sue, instead of getting her help decided to cover up for her. Which underscores the incredible ignorance and stupidity of the writers and producers since everyone knows these tragic public shootings are generally caused by people with mental problems who did not get the help they needed. Still, Glee went for the quick buck and jumped in the bandwagon. In addition to the morbid curiosity caused by the hype, Glee literally had no competition. Personally, I did not tune in to watch. I will return next week once NY is back in play.

• Timmah says:

Or maybe it highlights your ignorance because they’re not making Sue out to be a hero who made all the right decisions. And your stupidity for trying to review something you didn’t watch.

• Babygate says:

Your ability to infer from context is sorely lacking. I did not state or imply Sue was presented as a hero. The point you conveniently missed is that while they produced this episode under the guise of relevancy and to create or heighten awareness, they unintentionally highlighted the real problem which is our inability or unwillingness as a society to rein in the effects of mental illness on our communities as illustrated by Sue’s unwillingness to speak the truth about Becky. By failing to procure the help this girl needs, Sue is enabling her troubling behavior. This is the most compelling argument on this issue. But that is not the argument they tried to make. Instead they went for the cheap and misleading political talking points. And because I wanted to know what I was talking about, I did go back and watch the episode. Granted, I fast forwarded a lot, but I watched all the Sue parts and my opinion is confirmed. Every time ‘celebrities’ try to opine on politics they end up revealing how deeply uninformed and misguided they are.

• Boiler says:

Since you didn’t watch it perhaps you should shut up!!!

• Babygate says:

To use an equally mature argument, make me. Now, read my response above and realize that I caught the show later.

7. Elizabeth says:

It is pretty remarkable to see how well Parks has continued to do on Thursday nights. Even though every other show has begun to experience rapid drops, Park’s audience continues to turn out. I can only imagine what would happen if NBC stopped moving it around so much and didn’t place it on such random hiatuses.

Hopefully season six will be more stable for the show and the network.

• Tenney says:

NBC has not moved Parks around. For as long as I can remember, it’s been on Thursdays at 8:30.

• Elizabeth says:

It started at 9:30 this season, moved to 8:30 in January, and next week we have episodes at 9 and 9:30. The final two episodes of this season will then air at 9:30. I call that moving it around.

• Michelle says:

Exactly – and that’s just this season. Last season it started at 9:30, went on hiatus, then came back at 8:30. There’s also been a fun stat floating around that NBC hasn’t aired more than 3 consecutive new episodes of Parks at any point this season. And of course, let’s not forget the time NBC pushed it back to January and reduced its episode order to 16. It’s kind of a miracle the ratings are steady (if not spectactular) given the inconsistent scheduling.

8. Jack says:

Hannibal keeping steady in it’s second second episode is actually a big deal. Most shows drop after the premier.

9. MrJeff2000 says:

With NBC losing 30 ROCK and THE OFFICE on Thursday nights, they need to retain some comedies for continuity. Especially since PARKS has not shown itself to be strong enough to act as an anchor for the night.

As long as COMMUNITY retains numbers against originals of BIG BANG THEORY (I maintain the shows cannibalize the same audience), NBC should stick with it. At least a pickup of 13 episodes for September, instead of 13 episodes for “whenever.”

GO ON may not be enough to “anchor” the night at 9 pm, but it has established an audience and could be a nice lead-in for PARKS.

That leaves the 8:30 pm slot for a new sitcom, something NBC has done haphazardly over the past 20 years.

10. David4 says:

Hannibal should be moved to Tuesdays at 10, after The Voice at 9pm.

11. PutAForkInIt says:

relax, Community fans — BBT was a repeat

12. I watch Community every week, but where as last year I was passionate about getting another season, I’m rather ambivalent about it now. Glad they went up last night though as I enjoyed the puppet episode.

• tripoli says:

Totally agree with you, Jess. At this point I watch it whenever and find that I no longer laugh repeatedly throughout the show. It’s lost it’s magic as far as I’m concerned. I really wasn’t big on the singing puppet episode or any of this season. I don’t hope for a cancellation, but I’m not eagerly hoping for a renewal either. HAte to say it, but Community has seen far better days.

13. para says:

The only reason why glee is doing better is because the grey and poi is in repeat

• Boiler says:

Is that the only reason Hannibal did better too?? For the Glee haters this show glorifies a serial killer…worse to me

14. Babygate says:

Just catching up with Hannibal. I have to say, this show really spotlights some of the most egregious of criminal behaviors. It is troubling to watch. But what keeps me riveted is the cerebral nature of the show. Lecter’s mental manipulations and Will’s troubled self-awareness. And is it me or does Will’s voice sound an awful lot like Sir Anthony Hopkins who played the original Lecter?