Glee Recap: Fear and Bonding at McKinley High

Get More: Glee, Recaps

Glee-Season-4-Sue-Sylvester-LeavingWarning: If you haven’t seen tonight’s episode of Glee, you might want to stop reading now. Everyone else, carry on.

Okay, deep breaths. Has everyone recovered enough from tonight’s gut-wrenching Glee that we can get around to the business of discussing it?

RELATED | Is Pregnant Heather Morris Leaving Glee After Season 4?

For starters, I know a lot of folks will probably ask if it was “too soon” for Ryan Murphy & Co. to tackle a story arc about gunshots ringing out in the hallways of McKinley High a mere four months after the real and unspeakable shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary. I understand that question, but the sad fact is Sandy Hook wasn’t the first tragedy of its kind, nor will it be the last. So perhaps it’s folly to debate the timing of such an episode: You’re either going to go there, or you’re not. You’re either going to use the real-life dread we experienced as a nation for dramatic purposes — and, yeah, to possibly make a political statement — or you’re not.

RELATED | Glee Poised to Finish Season 4 Without Finn, as Cory Monteith Enters Rehab

From a purely artistic standpoint, though, “Shooting Star” — especially in those scenes where the members of New Directions huddled in the choir room, trying to remain silent, fearing every creaking door and bit of atmospheric noise might signal the end of their lives — was horribly compelling. It wasn’t easy to watch by any means. And man, did that gunfire come suddenly and dreadfully. (I felt my entire body tense up as that “pop!” “pop!” shifted the tone of a scene where Mr. Schue was threatening to rap again.)

RELATED | Future of Glee Project in Jeopardy as Glee Renewal Talks Drag On

What’s interesting is that the hour didn’t profess to hold any Big Answers about how to solve or prevent gun crimes in our schools. But it did give us an unflinching, teenager’s-eye-view of what it’s like to have your youthful innocence shattered by violence (or the very close threat of it, anyway). It also, from a purely artistic standpoint, showcased some amazing acting from the McKinley High cast — in particular Heather Morris, Becca Tobin, Melissa Benoist and Trisha Rae Stahl.

Anyhow, with that said, let’s recap the action.

CAT 22 | Things kick off with Brittany warning the kids of New Directions that the announcement of their Regionals competitors — the Hoosier Daddies and the Nun-Touchables — is moot, since a comet or asteroid or meteorite (aka Tubbington-Bop) is about to wipe them out. Goofy as her theory may be, Will decides to use it as a jumping off point for a “Last Chance” lesson about expressing your feelings to the people around you. As we’ll soon learn though, the kids won’t need such an artificial inspiration by episode’s end. Somehow, the asteroid chat leads to Sam and Brittany singing “More Than Words” to Lord Tubbington while their glee-club compadres light candles and march around like members of some cat-crazed cult. Eventually, though, Ms. Pierce realizes a meteorite isn’t zooming toward her telescope; it’s just a dead ladybug at the bottom of her Pringles can. Alrighty then!

RELATED | Get a First Look at [Spoiler] as Artie’s Mom!

SECRET LOVERS | Ryder spots his online paramour “Katie” in the halls of McKinley — wait, how big is this school that he wasn’t aware of a stunner like this in his midst? — tracks her down, brings her to the choir room and performs an enthusiastic rendition of “Your Song” that, along with his “hunky” arms, has her swooning. There’s just one problem: Her name is Marissa, not Katie, and she’s not the person who’s been communicating with him online for the past few weeks. It’s been somebody else, using her photo. “Someone’s been catfishing you,” Marissa says, not that she’s ruling out a relationship with the chiseled athlete. Ryder blows up at Jake and Marley — assuming one of them is avenging his planting a kiss on Marls, and then wanders away in tears. The Manti Te’o situation has him messed up and angry — but not so much so that he won’t give “Katie” another chance when she agrees to meet him at 3:30 that afternoon. In the midst of the shooting incident, though, Ryder unexpectedly stumbles upon a clue: He dials Katie’s number to find out where she is and if she’s okay, and a phone begins to ring — right there in the choir room. His secret online love is in — or very close to — New Directions. When danger passes, Kitty assures him she’s not the culprit: “I’m not into guys that look like life-sized cartoon weiners,” she huffs. “The thought of dating you makes me dryer than the cast of Hot in Cleveland.” (Yikes!) Maybe it’s the bass player with the bowl cut or Brad the Piano Player, the kids wonder. But come on, it’s got to be Unique, right?

MORE FUN WITH ONLINE LOVE | In a turn of events I’m not really buying, Beiste sets up a Lady and the Tramp style pasta dinner — in the boys’ locker room (gag) — to confess to Will that she’d like him to be the man in her life. But wait, isn’t Shannon a true friend of Will and Emma? Would she ever really swoop in so quickly after their failed wedding ceremony? No way! Whatevs. Will breaks it to Shannon gently that he and Emma are back together — then sets up an online dating profile that quickly yields a response — from Beiste’s predecessor Ken Tanaka!

GUNSHOTS RING OUT | At the start of glee-club practice, the sound of a gun being fired not once, but twice, sends everyone reeling. Brittany and Tina’s absence is noted by the rest of the kids in the room, as Schue and Beiste shut out the lights, find hiding places for everyone and manage to silence their terrified students. The panic and terror is palpable. Kitty confesses to Marley that she’s the one who took in her Grease costumes to make her think she was gaining weight. Sam freaks out and tries to go track down Brittany in the ladies room, only to be held back by Will and Beiste. Artie begins recording messages from his friends to their loved ones, just in case the worst happens and they don’t have a chance to say goodbye. (Those grainy cameraphone shots got me choked up most of all.) And then there’s Marley, horrified knowing her mother is somewhere in the school cafeteria, probably all by herself. (Mrs. Rose is seen wordlessly crouched in the kitchen, tears streaming down her face, as pots boil and the sound of footsteps fills her with fear. Wrenching stuff.) “Everybody really likes her,” Kitty tells Marley, in one of the strangely sweetest lines of the episode.

We learn lovely little details about the kids during the crisis. Marely’s got a false-bottom drawer that hides the songs she’s been writing, little gems that make her proud — even if they’ve never seen the light of day. Brittany, meanwhile, is stuck standing on a toilet in a ladies’ room stall, her tears plinking into the water and her occasional sniffles the only sounds in the room. (Later, when Schue comes to her rescue, we discover that each and every stall is occupied by a terrified teen.) Tina and Blaine share a tender BFF moment in the aftermath. (She didn’t want her last words to her friends to be another snarky comment about not getting solos.) And Sam presents Brittany with a gift he’d only planned to keep in his locker for a short time: A cat named Lady Tubbington, the better to complete their “fake family.” Um, not so sure about that last detail, but the rest of the interactions were handled with care and good taste. Later, the kids join up to sing John Mayer’s “Say” in the round. The little New Directions family all have one another — even if no one knows who the shooter was. Yep, thankfully, no one was killed or hurt in the melee — and the police can’t even figure out which room in the school was Ground Zero.

THE SHOOTER REVEALED | Early in the episode, we see seet Becky pleading with Brittany not to graduate. “Let’s stay in high school forever!” says the girl with Down Syndrome, who’s not sure if she’s ready for life outside the hallways of her school. “If you really prepare yourself, the world is not so scary,” Brittany replies.

And thus, when Sue shows up at school the next week with an air of nonchalance — “I haven’t seen this level of overreaction since Janet Jackson showed her saggy funbag at the Super Bowl” — it’s abundantly clear that she’s setting herself up to take the fall for Becky. Sure enough, Sue confesses to Principal Figgins that she’d been keeping a handgun in her office — “the safety net of the public mental health system is gone” and keeps her feeling safe, she says — and it accidentally went off while she was cleaning it. She’s coached Cheerios to become CEOs, Ivy League grads, Olympic gold medalists, Grammy winners and even a lesbian secretary of state, but she knows this incident will be the first line of her obit, she says sadly as she leaves the school in shame. A flashback, however, reveals it was Becky who misguidedly brought the firearm to McKinley — she wanted to be prepared! — and Sue just can’t let her unintended crime be exposed, can’t let the kid face expulsion. “Keep an eye on Becky, will you?” she asks Schue. Honestly, that can’t be the end of the story. That said, I give credit to the Glee writers for offering a plausible escape clause to this story arc that didn’t involve a death or an injury to a student. It’s a high-school musical dramedy that appeals to a lot of actual high schoolers, not Law & Order: Lima, after all. The Becky subplot allows them to navigate through the arc without bloodshed, but while maintaining some actual teeth.

And with that, I turn it over to you. What did you think of “Shooting Star”? Was it an effective hour of drama? Did you shed tears during the kids’ confessionals? Did you have any problems with the tone or timing? And how about Becky’s role in the gunfire? Were you impressed by the peformances? Is this the end of Sue’s coaching career? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: , ,

Comments (430)

• I thought there was a lot of unneeded hype for this episode. Instead, it felt less like a school shooting episode and more about cats and online dating.

Comment by strachpa – April 11, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was really uncomfortable because it felt exploitative…it seems all the storylines in these episodes were exploitative of some news story in some way. I really think this show is as bad as Smash but because they have teens, they’re able to really pull the heartstrings more and get a pass…I mean what was the point of this episode? Why have “the shooting” why promote it as such?

Comment by Josh – April 11, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It felt exploitative because you were looking for it to feel that way. For those of us who don’t pick through every single thing that happens on Glee looking for something to complain about, it was a pretty solid episode with some KILLER performances from some of the actors. I particularly loved Sue’s speech about why things like this happen.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • +1

Comment by karenb – April 12, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • +2

Comment by Elyse – April 12, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because this show is so perfect, well-written and consistent. Sure. Uh-huh. Not exploitative at all.

Comment by Hali N. (@writergirlfl) – April 12, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, actually, the show is crap. I stopped watching a long time ago. But I tuned in last night out of curiousity, and I thought it was a great episode. People think these sorts of events only effect the people who get killed or injured. This episode did a great job exposing the fallacy of that view. It was light years from “exploitive.” And the performances by every kid trapped in that choir room was stellar. Well done, Glee, well done.

Comment by meme – April 12, 2013 01:46 PM PDT
        • I completely agree with you. I think the episode was beautifully done and the performances were great, especially from Sam in my book.

Comment by Holly – April 12, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I didn’t want to watch this episode at all, but I did. I was very reticent about it. But as it went on the story was well done and not about the shooting but the affects on the characters b/c of it. The only one who mentioned shootings in schools was Sue. And it pertained to her and what/why she did what she did and how it affected her future. The ND were closer b/c of it. Very emotional. Too emotional for Glee IMO. But, it was tastefully and with grace and dignity of the subject. The acting was superb. And I was never a follower of the new New Directions til now.

Comment by Beans – April 12, 2013 07:18 PM PDT
          • I thought the episode was very well done too. It was very compelling to see this from the kids perspective not knowing what was going on. This is such a real threat these schools and kids face everyday that I felt they portrayed it very well. Like you said Michael it was without any blood shed but using Sue to take the blame to keep poor Becky from getting into trouble for something I believe she never even thought through. That brought tears to my eyes because it showed a very tender part of Sue we don’t often see. Well done Glee writers.

Comment by Kristi – April 12, 2013 09:02 PM PDT
      • War movies, in general, are exploitative. Pearl Harbor, the movie was exploitative. The Austin Powers movies are exploitative. Entertainment with doses of reality are exploitative. What’s even more exploitative is when we show shock and awe at a tv episode but little to no reaction to our government making light of the tragic shootings in our lifetime and saying that things are fine just the way they are or pretend that by enacting stricter background checks on people buying guns, that we’re taking away rights. I don’t want to politicize this episode but when you forget that it’s just entertainment, and while you weren’t entertained, some people were, then you’re raising an unnecessary stink. Besides, Smash totally sucked pretending that it wasn’t trying to be like Glee.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the episode was completely un-necessary. I did find the acting to be great and there were a lot of intense moments. However, it seemed to be making light of a very serious problem. I think people need to quit promoting American terrorism. That is what this show did, perpetuate terrorism. Not only do kids hear this stuff on the news, now they have to deal with it in their comedy shows. Really, not the place, not the time. Bring back the Glee that sings a lot of cool songs and lay off the preaching, especially bad preaching.

Comment by Laurie Biswell – April 11, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This entire episode I kept thinking over and over … One tree hill did this subject tastefully and believably; and you can’t match that. And they didn’t. I thought this felt generic. Nothing to do with how close to the newtown tragedy it was (one tree hill was in the wake of columbine); it just felt disconnected and unreal. Glee just didn’t make a point with this episode or subject and it was disappointing.

Comment by Nicole – April 11, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nicole I totally agree. I love Glee n love the acting on a few of faves tonight but the show, Ryan just didn’t pull it off like OTH did. Everyone who I watched it with and there were 7 of us, hated it. I at least gave it, ” it was an intense episode”. 1 out of 7 liking it isn’t good for Glee! After tonight many people will want glee pulled.. I’m still hoping for better stories, episodes like the past…when we loved it!

Comment by xxlarrymarcusxx – April 12, 2013 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly what I thought, OTH did an amazing job with their episode on that, I remember it so clearly and everything I felt when watching it and afterwards.
          This Glee version of it just didn’t feel right; to me it felt forced to put this topic in there. Didn’t like it at all.

Comment by Jules – April 12, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Let’s not forget Degrassi’s superb episode on this subject.

Comment by Dwight Weathersby – April 12, 2013 03:16 AM PDT
          • OTH & Degrassi set the bar really high for this type of episode. I don’t feel like Glee really did the subject justice – but some of the performances were top notch.

Comment by Joy – April 12, 2013 02:19 PM PDT
          • The old Degrassi (because I’m not a fan for the new one) did a really good job of this…it was brilliant and it really set the bar IMO. Now, I say this because I’ve never seen the OTH shooting (reading the comments and Wikipedia, I know they did one) and it really set the bar. Though Glee did a good job and it made me cry because of the confessionals, it could’ve been better and focused MORE on the shooting…it should have had more of Becky and how worried and pressured she was to leave high school. That’s my opinion.

Comment by Krystal Dannielle (@KrysDannielle) – April 13, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
        • Someone said One Tree Hill was in the wake of Columbine this is not true , Columbine happened in 1999 and One Tree Hill aired With Tired Eyes, Tired minds, Tired Souls we slept on March 1st 2006. I know it’s nit picking but using the name of tragedy to prove a point about a tv show isn’t good. Yes One Tree Hill did a superb job but so did Glee who have a much younger audience.

I was so amped up to be disappointed by this and I thought they did a great job. The camera work was very Gus Van Sant / Elephant and it really added to the tension.

As a person who has been hate watching Glee for around two seasons now ( I miss the good old days of Jesse St James , pointless teen drama and catchy tunes but secretly love Klaine , Santana Lopez and some of the new kids . Well two. ) it’s nice to feel that this show is getting some soul about it again .

Apart from the cat singing , though loved that Lady Tubbington had a look of pure hate in her eyes, cats are the very picture of indifference

Comment by Susanna Kate – April 12, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Susanna makes a good point that the Glee audience skews a wider swath of age range than One Tree Hill or Degrassi High and anything that could have been done as well or better than either One Tree Hill or Degrassi High would have and could have been shot down because of the age range that watches Glee.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:20 PM PDT
        • Amen!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Comment by Michelle – April 12, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This week a four year old ran into his house and brought a rifle back out to where he was playing with a six year old neighbor.The six year old died of one shot. Whether the gun violence is malicious or an accident it has real consequences. I thought this episode was well done.

Comment by Morisot – April 12, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly. Gun violence has real consequences, yet Becky didn’t have to face them? Although, yes no one was hurt, so her life shouldn’t be absolutely ruined, but she needs to face the consequences, and the fact that she didn’t infuriated me.

Comment by Der – April 12, 2013 04:05 PM PDT
        • I could not agree with you more, The way tree hill handled this was amazing. I had mized feelings about the episode, but it just didn’t really flow.

Comment by Denis – April 13, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought the same thing while watching Glee. I kept flashing back to the OTH story arc and thinking how this didn’t even come close. The heartfelt discussions in the tutor room with the hostages and Jimmy have stayed with me for years. The aftermath in subsequent episodes and just the general overall tone of the show was incredible. Glee instead seemed to gloss over all of this other than a few tense moments in the Glee room.

Comment by sa – April 16, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the hype. I feel it was over hyped and under delivered. The biggest issue for me was the pacing. A problem they have with just about every episode. It felt very disjointed and uneven.

Comment by Tom – April 12, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch glee to feel deep. I wanna laugh at Tina. blah

Comment by Snappy – April 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t as bad as I’d feared. Although this means the stupid reality show broad is coming back – ugh!

Comment by Sheila – April 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So unnecessary. Made no sense.

Comment by michelle – April 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. This episode was to soon, I mean the shooting at Newton happened four months ago. We should respect the families that lost their loved ones and not make an episode that has to do with a school shooting.

Comment by Ali – April 11, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you not read the second paragraph that addressed this? There are school shootings all the time, and they aren’t all covered by the news. Newtown was because it involved grade-school kids. If it’s “too soon” because of Newtown, then no television show can ever tackle the subject of school shootings because of how frequently they sadly happen.

All I could think while watching this episode was that MAYBE someone who, in the future, could or would do something like this will have seen this episode and possess an ounce of empathy, not wanting to put anyone through the sheer terror that was so realistically depicted tonight.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m glad there’s someone on here with half a brain.

Comment by Jaded – April 11, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right, because someone who could deliberately go as far as wanting to take someone’s life is mentally stable and empathetic enough to think “thanks to Glee I now realize the sheer terror I’d put people through so I won’t do it”. That’s the only thing they’d care about, for sure… killing people why not, but scaring them? Hell no!

Now let’s all thank Glee for preventing a potential unhinged kid to shoot people because of this episode.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If you knew you were going to hate the episode, please explain to me why you even bothered to watch it.

Comment by Jules – April 11, 2013 08:16 PM PDT
          • I think it’s safe to say that perpetrators of these kinds of incidents tend to completely dehumanize their victims; whether they do it because they’re trying to strike back at those people who have “hurt” them through bullying, or by ignoring them, or because they’re suicidal and want to be noticed, I think that in order for anyone to randomly shoot down their peers requires some sort of distancing themselves from reality and the feelings of those around them. Glee seems to be very popular among kids who are on the fringes, who don’t feel like they’re understood, who don’t feel like anyone pays any attention to them. My point was that perhaps this episode could, even to the smallest degree, humanize potential victims.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 08:27 PM PDT
          • Huh? I was responding to the empathy aspect, what does it have to do with whether I liked an episode or not? Someone in the comments mentioned the episode Earshot from Buffy (glad to know there are people beyond 15 here, btw) and I liked it, but never was naive enough to think it could have stopped anyone from shooting people. Which the last 15 years proved, for that matter.

Reading comprehension, you should try it.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 08:32 PM PDT
          • @popculture420: I get where you’re coming from; unfortunately I think it’s wishful thinking. Thinking tv could avoid a school shotting because a teenager can humanize their peers through a bunch of fictional characters is naive. Someone THAT disconnected from the real life could never feel any kind of empathy for anyone.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 08:37 PM PDT
          • Olivia, I’m not sure why you feel the need to be so condescending. Not to mention your point about Earshot isn’t necessarily that accurate. Look online for people’s Buffy sites; I have seen many testimonials, essentially, stating that Buffy in general and Earshot in particular changed their lives. Buffy’s message to Jonathan that everyone is so busy dealing with their own issues that they don’t always pay attention to what anyone else is going through has helped peopled. Did it stop someone from committing a heinous crime? Who knows, because no one can ever be sure about what MAY have happened. But it did certainly help people realize that they weren’t as alone as they thought they were prior to that episode.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 08:40 PM PDT
          • I’m not condescending, I’m sarcastic at best.

About Buffy, I’ve been in that fandom long enough to see every type of reaction, good and bad, and you’re right, a lot of plots changed people’s lives. And not necessarily in the drama parts of it. Also, Buffy was a well thought-out, written and executed show during 7 seasons (Glee wishes to be as good as 0,1% of Buffy. And I say that as someone who LOVED Glee the first two seasons. Now, I watch for the original cast… the talented, compelling, generally MIA cast).

Does it mean people saying Earshot changed their lives would have really gone to their school and act on their fantasies? I can’t possibly know, I’m not in their heads. But thinking about something and having the “profile” for acting on it are two different things. A kid not trying to commit suicide because somehow, a fictional character made them hang onto something? Sure. I was one of these teenagers. They wouldn’t hurt anyone besides themselves. But your comment is like saying a person wouldn’t go on a killing spree because they saw the horror in Dexter Morgan’s crimes. I can’t wrap my head around that kind of logic.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 09:09 PM PDT
          • Sarcasm can come across sometimes as condescension; specifically, your “glad to know there are people beyond 15 here,” if sarcastic, was also fairly condescending. With that said, I felt bad once I posted my response and saw that you had posted another response directly to me a minute or two later that wasn’t at all sarcastic or condescending. So, yes. I apologize.
            This point is neither here nor there, really, as it doesn’t remotely deal with tonight’s episode, but while I agree that Buffy is heads and shoulders better than Glee, I would say that it wasn’t really that thought-out, well-written, or well-executed after Season Five. There were some parts of Season Six that were intelligently written, and even fewer in Seven, but, love it as I do, overall the show seemed to be going through the motions at that point. (No pun intended).
            I think your Dexter comparison is off-base. My point, boiled down to one (overly long) sentence, is that kids who carry out school shootings most likely have found a way to dehumanize their victims and that there is a possibility, regardless of how small you think it is, that the visceral portrayal of abject fear in tonight’s episode may make that more difficult in the future.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 09:17 PM PDT
        • Agree completely

Comment by Mia – April 11, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Newsflash: Newtown isn’t the first school shooting, nor will it be the last. There is no appropriate time for a show to handle this subject matter because IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With all due respect to the people and parents of the sandy hook shooting, I think this situation needs to be dealt with. More and more shootings are happening so I’m glad glee addressed it and very believable acting from all the cast .but how long should we wait for people to mention school shootings , you say 4 months is to soon but should we wait a year maybe 2. The more programs that deal with situations like this the better.

Comment by Connor Norton – April 13, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If it were a school shooting, someone would have died. I don’t think they made light of the situation in Newton. If they did, people would have been shot but surprisingly no one would have died or there would have been a lot of deadpan, oh no, Zizes was shot but surprisingly, she had a bulletproof vest on that she got at the local Veterans Goodwill store for 50 cents. It didn’t. You had a mentally challenged young woman who had reasonable fears about the future and not of sound mind, brought a gun to school. Besides being psychologically imbalanced, was the Newtown shooter also mentally challenged?

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you not read the first two paragraphs????!!!

Comment by Krystal Dannielle (@KrysDannielle) – April 13, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What channel were you watching?

Comment by jane swatch – April 15, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee’s always been so great in the way they handle Becky’s role. I am not impressed by what I saw tonight. I just think it’s the easy way out to place the blame on an incident on the girl with Down Syndrome. Ugh!

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But I should say that Heather Morris’ performance definitely lived up to y’alls hype. She was wonderful.

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree!

Comment by Tangie – April 11, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HeMo had the most affecting performance for me during that third act, probably because she could convey terror without saying a word.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually think this was some of HeMo’s best acting, even if I didn’t really like the episode.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 11, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Same here, didn’t like the episode at all, but Heather’s acting was really good.

Comment by Jules – April 12, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they were implying anything about people with Down Syndrome.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Becky’s been this awesome character. What happens now that the audience knows she brought a gun to school? That’s really serious, and I just want the old Becky.

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Becky was afraid to be left alone by her friends . So she felt depressive and looked for a gun to commit suicide. Other people deal in a different way with loneliness.. Remember Blaine…

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She wasn’t going to commit suicide, she wanted it for protection, incase something were to happen to her.

Comment by susan – April 11, 2013 11:14 PM PDT
          • The gun wasn’t for suicide, Becky was afraid of being alone after her friends graduate. She also was afraid of what life would be like once she could no longer stay in high school. Brittany told her to prepare herself for that day so she wouldn’t be as scared. She thought a gun would keep her safe(as many believe they will), getting the gun was Becky’s way of preparing herself. She said it herself in the episode, when Sue asked her where the gun came from, and why she had it.

Comment by Curtiss Stevens – April 12, 2013 12:03 AM PDT
        • She gets a storyline, people. We’re already assuming that she won’t be dealing with the consequences. We’re already pitying poor Becky for doing an oopsie. She’s an actress, people. She can’t just be the bitchy Down Syndrome girl for her entire tenure. I think this’ll play out with Becky going through what most people who accidentally fire a gun at school and have a teacher who cares/loves her take the fall for her would go through. Let’s have this wonderful actress grow from this story and put on a performance that we can appreciate. Old Becky would just be comic relief. That’s lame. This Becky coming out of this situation may actually give her additional layers to her character.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was totally unnecessary for her to be the one who did it.

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t understand this. It makes sense from a story perspective. Becky is a child with Down Syndrome. I think in a lot of schools, she wouldn’t be very popular. She wouldn’t have many friends, and she wouldn’t feel very comfortable. On the show, however, it is clear that Becky enjoys her life. She has been made to feel welcome at this school; she has friends; she is in a leadership position on the Cheerios. It makes perfect sense that she would be terrified to leave McKinley and go out into the “real world.” What if other people aren’t as accepting as WMHS? What if nowhere else feels as safe as high school? And that fear of impending danger scared her. Now, all I hear anymore from gun rights advocates is that guns are necessary for self-protection. “Gun violence wouldn’t be as tragic or severe if more people carried guns for personal safety.” Now imagine you’re a frightened seventeen-year-old child. You feel unsafe because you’re soon going to be leaving a place that feels like home. Are you able to fully understand the arguments regarding the right to bear arms? Or are you going to hear “guns equal safety” and think that by having a gun, you’re more safe than you were without one? Granted, this isn’t the thought process every child would go through, but it isn’t a leap to imagine. And I think the only reason the fact that she has Down Syndrome is relevant is because the impending fear of leaving high school that every child goes through, to some degree, may be heightened. In no way was this intended to be a commentary on children with Down Syndrome in general. It does, however, fit the characterization of Becky as presented throughout the series.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You make a really good point. Perhaps people wouldn’t be so upset by it if they would have shown that Becky now understands that she was wrong to bring a gun to school. There was no closure in that regards, which can be difficult when dealing with such an emotionally charged episode/topic. Maybe that will will be a plot point later on in the season.

As for everyone who just wants their happy, singing Glee back, I think you missed a few episodes that contained Kurt being terrorized everyday in school and Karofsky being bullied to the point that he attempted suicide. Glee hits on hot topic issues, and I for one have been missing them this season. I think that if this show never discussed these hard issues it wouldn’t be as popular as it is.

And for what it’s worth, I personally thought it was a great episode.

Comment by Princess Adora – April 13, 2013 03:27 PM PDT
        • Agreed. It buys into the implication that “disabled people are violent”. Around the time of the Sandy Hook shootings, people were saying “oh the shooter was autistic, that makes sense, autistic people are violent”. As an autistic person myself, I was really offended by that, and Glee making Becky, a disabled student, the one with the gun felt really insulting.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 11, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I always read recaps and spoilers (I’m weird like that) and when I read this, I was insulted as well. I’ve LOVED how they made Becky important in so many ways, and this felt like a copout. I’d much rather them have written in some unknown student who gets caught and the Glee club realizes that, as former outcasts, they could have been reaching out more to involve more people instead of being so self-absorbed… I feel like having Becky as the person with the gun makes it seem that the people with disabilities are to blame for these shootings, rather than people who have mental and emotional stability issues, not disabilities. I mean sure, a person with Autism or with Down Syndrome COULD do these things — ANYONE could — but this felt like a “which character can we make responsible where their future isn’t key to the cast” situation.

I do have to say, I love Jane Lynch and Sue Sylvester. She can be a mean bitch, but she’s a good person and watching Good Sue is always good TV.

PS – Isn’t the autism community saying “person with autism” rather than “autistic person” now? My partner works at a school for kids with autism and we’re heavily involved in autism awareness… just wondering if that is a local thing or a national autism society thing.

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – April 12, 2013 06:31 AM PDT
          • funny you say that since most of the real life shootings were not done by people with disabilities so this whole just “because a down syndrome girl did it, it means all disabled people are like that” mentality is full of crap.

Besides, people with “different qualities” are always targeted by the white, skinny, supermodel-like teens anyways. I mean do cheerleaders get bullied? Football players? no just the different ones who don’t fit into some lame stereotype.

Comment by Peachfuzz – April 12, 2013 06:57 AM PDT
          • @DoctorWhoFanatic Re terminology for autism, it depends on who you ask. I remember one woman involved in the autism acceptance movement saying that she strongly preferred to be described as an “autistic person” rather than a “person with autism” because the latter made her autism sound like an extrinsic encumbrance, rather than an integral part of who she is (and which she’s proud of). She compared it to identifying as “a woman” rather than a “person with femininity.” That preference seems less common in my experience, but I can see where she’s coming from, and it’s no surprise that different individuals define themselves differently. Seems analogous to how, in the disability movement as a whole, “person with a disability” is strongly preferred among US activists, but UK activists just as strongly prefer “disabled person”…in each case, the preference is based on the particular experience of that community and the attitudes that we’re most focused on challenging… Safest bet where possible is always to learn how the individual you’re talking to (or talking about) prefers to identify, and describe them accordingly.

Comment by JL – April 13, 2013 09:22 PM PDT
          • Again, she’s an actress. This gives her a chance to act. They act. I don’t see her disability. I see that someone, anyone with a disability, can be as catty as an abled person. I love when Becky is mean. Sure, it’s a far cry from her oggling the Glee guys, but it’s a storyline that I don’t think anyone has ever put out there. I think, as a character, Becky will grow from this. Becky, regardless of her ability or lack thereof, is capable of anything, good or bad. I’d like to see Mr. Murphy continue this storyline and look into some of the things people are whining about and flesh out what this incident means for and to Becky and those who love her (her parents and Sue and the Cheerios). I love Becky though and I look forward to more of her in the upcoming episodes following this one.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:33 PM PDT
      • Agree. Some people on this board just want to insert drama as much as possible.

Comment by karenb – April 11, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. So, basically what you want is for her to be marginalized to the “good sweet girl” because she has down’s syndrome? She can’t be anything but someone likable and perfect? That’s ridiculous, and even more problematic than this offense you’ve imagined.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I didn’t want the writers to use her as a way out of their storyline. Of course they couldn’t kill a student in a school shooting. The show is called GLEE, not GRIEF. So they needed a scapegoat to keep their dramatic school shooting, without the consequences of actually dealing with someone who was culpable for bringing a gun to school. And unfortunately, the girl with Down Syndrome was that scapegoat last night. It felt exploitative and cheap.

Comment by slizabeth – April 12, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Okay, so what if it was the guy in the wheelchair? Or the anorexic girl? Or the cheerleader? Or the drag queen? Or the jock? Would it be cheap then? It’s amazing how people tend to put labels on teenagers instead of realizing that people with down syndrome are not always innocent just like jocks, cheerleaders, disabled people are just capable of bringing in a gun.

Comment by Peachfuzz – April 12, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Unique is not a “drag queen” she is transgender. There is a difference. And BTW, I think there is a difference between portraying someone with Down Syndrome in ways that allow them to be flawed and human, and portraying them in ways that increase potential stigmatization and ignorance. And I think this Glee episode probably did the later more than it did the former.

Comment by RachelA – April 12, 2013 09:28 AM PDT
          • And Becky is Sue’s henchman sometimes. She isn’t usually “sweet” at all! She can be mean!

Comment by GMom – April 12, 2013 09:31 AM PDT
        • It allows the writers to use a character who you would not the least bit expect to be capable of this. She made a mistake and it got turned into this big ordeal that surely, she won’t be keen on keeping to herself. Becky’s not capable of lying and despite the mean, wicked things she does sometimes, she’s got a conscience. It’s a storyline and I don’t see it as her being made a scapegoat. I see it as them giving Becky something to sink her acting chops into. She can act and is so much more capable of being more than Sue’s sidekick or the Down Syndrome girl you guys are quick to describe her. She has a name, that should be known over whatever physical or mental condition she has. Interesting you guys are quick to call her the girl with Down Syndrome and not bother learning her name. Try remembering the Asian girl is Tina, the white guy with blond hair who was a stripper is Sam, the black guy who wears girls clothing is Unique, the other black guy who isn’t as dark as the black guy who wears girls clothing is Jake. It’s a mouthful to describe each of the characters when you could just learn their names and then their physical/mental characteristics are secondary. Let Becky act!

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, completely.

Comment by Ethan – April 11, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it had anything to do with her having Down Syndrome. I think it had more to do with a depressed young girl who thinks that life will never get better than it is right now. It could happen to anyone.

Comment by Holly – April 12, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Should be more clear, don’t think she wanted to commit suicide just saying that life won’t get better in that she won’t have anyone there with her. Remember the scene with Brittney? That scene showed Becky struggling with the idea of what would happen to her minus Brittney.

Comment by Holly – April 12, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If anything I thought it kind of broke the stereotype. Usually people imagine the disabled person to be sitting cowering in a corner more helpless than anyone else and the shooter as some crazed psychopath, and I’m not saying this doesn’t happen, it’s just stereotypical that people with disabilities are always victims because they’re so helpless, when actually disabled people (in Becky’s case those with Down Syndrome) are the same as anyone else and are capable of the same things we are. But I don’t think the reveal was really anything to do with her disability anyway, just the fact she was lonely, depressed and lost… She didn’t have the intention of purposely hurting anyone, but thinking she might have to, she went to Sue to prevent anything happening which shows she is a good person – the fact that she didn’t just shoot anyone that got in her way.

Comment by Ashley – April 13, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Sue threw away her entire career for Becky? I’m sorry, but covering up for someone who brought a gun to school is NOT cool. I don’t feel sorry for Becky. If she was ANYONE else or did not have a disability, no one would be covering it up or letting her stay in that school. The end ruined it for me.

Comment by ha – April 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pissed that GLEE took and used the only kid in all of WMHS with a disability and made her be the one with the gun. They made no statement. They made a big one “mentally challenged” people who don’t know how to use a gun shouldn’t have access to one or they could harm someone. Why not one of the GLEE kids, why not a cheerio or a joke. No GLEE scapegoated her, the same way they use Brittany to say racist, insensitive things and then blame on the fact that she has the mental capability of a 5 year old (sorry for insulting 5 years old). So why not Brittany that would have provided her a perfect out for Brittany. But GLEE also had an ulterior motive, use a real time situation to try and provoke some emotional caring about their cast and for Sam and Brittany. Instead of trying to hold her or point a finger about who should be blamed. I say the initial blame of all of this lays on the writers of GLEE. And I say shame on them, GleeonFox and the Fox Network in general.

Comment by Ann Mack – April 11, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, a mentally challenged person SHOULDN’T have unsupervised access to a gun. Nonetheless, I don’t think that’s the statement that were making.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There are a lot of folks out there that are a lot more dangerous with a gun than someone who has an intellectual disability.

Comment by Amy – April 11, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This. Good to know someone has a thinking head on their shoulders around here.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow, ableist much?

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 11, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it was an episode written by Matt Hodgson, so… yeah.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What’s wrong with him? Not following

Comment by Libby – April 11, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He is known in the Glee fandom for writing the most offensive storylines/dialogues and being despising/provocative toward fans on Twitter. I’m not talking about the nutcases throwing shades and insulting everyone just because they can, but people with valid criticism. I didn’t believe a grown man would act like a 5 y/o on Twitter until I was directed to some of the “exchanges” by said fans lol. Rather entertaining, to say the least. You should try and find some of them, it’s… idk, awkward lol.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 08:53 PM PDT
      • They chose Becky because she’s the one Sue has the emotional tie to and would give reason for Sue to cover it up and also take her leave from the show, not because she has Downs.

Also, “only kid in all of WMHS with a disability” is completely false – we’ve seen at least one other Downs student and I don’t know how you missed seeing Artie for 3 seasons.

Comment by Will – April 11, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Artie is disabled, he does not have downs syndrome…

Comment by web – April 11, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Right, he’s in a wheelchair. He has a disability. No one said “the only kid in all of WMHS with Down Syndrome.”

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 07:39 PM PDT
      • To be fair… Artie is also disabled and didn’t get blamed.

Comment by joe – April 11, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kind of agree. I’m not pissed with Fox/Glee, but the point is that people with Down Syndrome face enough challenges and stigmas as it is. Becky was such a great example of all the best sides of Down Syndrome. Sure they had her do silly things at times, but how are we supposed to look at her knowing she brought a gun to school? It was unnecessary.

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Everybody in Glee has their flaws… Blaine cheated, Kurt is dismissive towards many things.. Rachel is self centrered, Quinn wanted to steal her own baby, Tina rarely gets solo’s… ok the latter is a joke, but no one is perfect, including Becky.. it was a moment of weakness that she encountered and one day she has to pay the price for it…not Sue.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • YES, you hit the nail on the head. Everyone in the show has flaws, but it was extremely frustrating and upsetting that Sue took the fall for Becky. Although Sue had good intentions, Becky ultimately needs to face the consequences.

Comment by SASS – April 12, 2013 04:23 PM PDT
        • Yes I am sure that after this episode of Glee, people with down syndrome will universally be looked upon as gun-toting bad guys.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Everyone needs to read the interview Lauren Potter, the actress who portrays Becky, and her mother gave on this episode. A lot of thought went in to the decision to have Becky involved in the storyline. Lauren Potter and her mom both grateful that Ryan Murphy was so confident in her acting ability to pull this off. Kudos to Lauren for a job well done!

Comment by gregg – April 12, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Best sides of Down Syndrome? She helped torture the Glee students, which in all reality, she would also have been subjected to. She also called people the b-word and oggled guys like cattle. The Becky character was not a great example of all the best sides of Down Syndrome. Becky is a character. The actress who plays Becky, is a great example of people with Down Syndrome because she’s an actress despite the odds. A working actress who isn’t the new millenium’s “Corky”.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are kinda hypocritical. If it was Kitty who bought in the gun, would that also give the implication that all cheerleaders are murderers? Or unique? That all drag queens are violent, etc.

Shows how stupid this whole “people with mental disabilities are violent” crap is cause just because one person from a particular “group” does it, it doesn’t mean everyone is the same.

If it was Marley who did it, I suppose it would also implication that all anorexics are violent.

Shows how stupid you sound.

Comment by Peachfuzz – April 12, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sue has a special bond with Becky because of her sister. Duh. I don’t think it was such a crazy idea that Sue take the fall for her.

Comment by C'mon – April 11, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t care. If it was anyone else people wouldn’t be making excuses.

Comment by idbh – April 11, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bieste covered up for Puck bringing a knife to school.

Comment by Amy – April 11, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It was a fake knife though, from the prop room.

Comment by Duane – April 11, 2013 10:16 PM PDT
        • As an educator, I have to say, sometimes we cover for our students when they make dumb decisions. I am not saying I would cover a student who brought a gun to school, but I can think of one or two colleagues, who faced in the same situation, with a student the connected to on that level, who had no mal intentions, may make the same decision.

Comment by Rob – April 12, 2013 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t the fact she’s got a disability why Sue threw it all away. Yes, that endeared her towards Becky in the first place because of her sister, but she covered for Becky because she loves her. God!

Comment by beth – April 11, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need to recall Sues sister suffered from this syndrand this is why

Comment by xxlarrymarcusxx – April 12, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When someone loves you, it doesn’t matter whatever heinous crime or mistake you make, their first instinct will always be to protect you and love you no matter what.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Santana :( This episode was intense!

Comment by Dan – April 11, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee needs Sue! Otherwise, what a very powerful episode, without being preachy or overly political. It was the fear inside the school at the time that was especially gripping.

Comment by Melanie Wilbur – April 11, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the storyline was handled well. That is all.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is that One Tree Hill’s school shooting episode was 100 times better than tonight’s Glee.

Comment by Debra – April 11, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Degrassi did it best.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t seen that show but given how much I have heard about it, I might have to check out that episode.

Comment by Debra – April 11, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Debra – def worth a watch. You should watch the couple episodes right before it too though since it sets up the storyline of why the shooter brought the gun to school!

Comment by JeniLee – April 12, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very well done. You should watch the episodes leading up to it, too. Even with the original Degrassi they haven’t been afraid to take on these topics, and, for the most part, they’ve done a good job with them.

Comment by Meg – April 11, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to agree. Sure, Degrassi was more “soap opera” considering that the shooter did target/hit people, but at least there was a lot of fallout from the incident, both immediate and long-term. From all I’ve heard, Glee will treat this as a one episode wonder. I may rewatch those Degrassi episodes tomorrow.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That episode will forever be one of the most emotional ones ever, in my opinion. I can’t watch it without bawling.

Comment by xxxx – April 11, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I work in a high school and have watched Glee for years… this episode was so spot on.

Comment by mgrand – April 12, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought that the “Earshot” episode of Buffy handled the topic quite well. Bear in mind, it was filmed pre-Columbine and it’s airing was delayed by months due to that horrible shooting.

Comment by Kate M. – April 11, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Buffy/Earshot was the best one I’ve seen by far!

Comment by Momzilla – April 11, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 100% agree…Earshot was amazing.

Comment by RUCookie – April 11, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cordelia – “Hi Mr. Beach, I was just wondering if you were planning on killing a bunch of people tomorrow? Oh, it’s for the yearbook.”

Comment by luke – April 11, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, that episode had a lot of emotion and this one had none. I think they shouldn’t have made an episode like this, because Newtown is still recent.

Comment by Ali – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The shooting in a ohio highschool was about one year ago.. Isn’t Glee’s highschool situated in Ohio ?

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TRUTH. OTH’s ep was unbelievable.

Comment by AvCo – April 11, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think both shows did an excellent job with the subject. Way better than Glee (sorry).

Comment by Amber – April 11, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! OTH handled it so well, it was intense and just all around a good episode, to this day, whenever I watch it, I cannot stop crying.

Comment by Jules – April 12, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I think OTH one felt more real. it is definitely way more better than how glee handled it.

Comment by riley – April 12, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just have chime in to say that I think it’s kind of sad that we’re debating about which television show did the best school shooting episode.

Comment by Delia – April 12, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job to all the cast. This episode was very well done.

Comment by A – April 11, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best in a long time, the most haunting episode to date.

Comment by Sharon – April 11, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Degrassi did a much better job.

Comment by Grrrrp – April 11, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Murphy did a much, much more compelling school shooting in season one of American Horror Story. On Glee, it just feels cheesy.

Comment by Molly – April 11, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they need to be compared, but the AHS one was incredible.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one was horribly offended, both by the timing (perhaps felt by me moreso than others because of my actual physical proximity to Newtown), but also by the portrayal of the girl with Down’s as being the one bringing the gun to school. Because of course it was. And those taped goodbyes did not come across as heart-wrenching to me – they came across as so terribly, misguidedly trying to capitalize on tragedy.

Comment by Really? – April 11, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everybody is offended by everything…………

Comment by David – April 11, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched last nights Southland before this so maybe that’s why I’m underwhelmed. Sort of like having the filet mignon and then following it up with a two day old gas station hot dog. It was good for a Glee episode?

Comment by SR – April 11, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We did the same thing! Southland does not get the recognition it deserves! Now that episode was intense. Glee, not so much!

Comment by Tom – April 11, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just finished the first season of Southland. It’s finally available through Netflix, so I’m hoping to get through the first four seasons quickly.

Comment by Meg – April 11, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! I almost felt bad being underwhelmed, but man Southland was the very definition of intense and emotional last night. I really hope it gets renewed for another Season- it is easily the best show on TV!

Comment by Jaded – April 11, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did too! Who knew so many people did the Southland/Glee thing? What an acting masterpiece by Michael Cudlitz on Southland, especially the final scene. I thought the Glee episode was good but I didn’t realize I wasn’t supposed to enjoy it until I read the unhappy posts here.

Comment by RichieS – April 12, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Classless. So classless.

So insensitive.

Worst episode of scripted television I’ve ever seen. Go away, Glee.

Comment by Pat – April 11, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you obviously didnt even watch the episode

Comment by Greg – April 11, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about the hype, I was expecting more, so was actually disappointed. In regards to the hype didn’t any of you see One Tree Hill? If you did then you know what I’m talking about.

Comment by Suz – April 11, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and I didn’t have an issue with the timing of this episode

Comment by Suz – April 11, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did see OTH… sooooo much better, the way they did it.

Comment by Jules – April 12, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After all the hype I expected more. Being that they have shown commercials scenes with Sue and Nene, you know she’s coming back at some point. After the scene with Brittany I was actually expecting Becky to get shot. The episode had potential, but it was just lacking.

Comment by Jake – April 11, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s GLEE. I think someone getting shot is a little much. You can’t really come back from that.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When Degrassi did the school shooting episode one of the main characters was shot in the back and paralyzed, along with the gunman being killed in a struggle with another student. The character who was shot and survived went on for a few seasons after that. It can be woven into the story if it’s done right.

Comment by Meg – April 11, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m aware. I have seasons 1-7 of a Degrassi on DVD. Your words confirm my point. You can’t come back from a school shooting that results in death and/or injury. It will hang over a show from that point on. At least if you’re going for realism. It just wouldn’t work with Glee’s format.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s one of the reasons that I accepted the way Degrassi did it. They were willing to explore the ramifications of a shooting at school which colored the actions of many characters. Glee will forget that a gun was in the school next week so that we can see Rachel land the role of Fanny Brice by singing another Journey song. Sigh.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:09 PM PDT
        • That’s the key… doing it right. Let’s see, the last time Glee did anything right was….

Comment by Jake – April 12, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually OTH had three characters shot, two of which died and one of which was a much loved character. The effects of his death went on for many, many episodes much as it would have in real life. It was one of the best handled school shootings storylines I have seen because it did dig deep and looked at the causes and consequences.

Comment by sa – April 16, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I would have preferred to never have the innocence and joy of the choir room tarnished by gun shots, I have to give Ryan & Co. some credit. I was apprehensive about the episode, but it really stayed character driven while avoiding bloodshed in a plausible way like you said.

The messages on the cell phone were by far the most heartbreaking. In your moment of absolute vulnerability…what do you say & to whom? What defines you?

For me, the scene with Schue & Beiste basically holding Sam down was extremely emotional. I can’t explain it.

I hate Sue taking the rap for Becky, though. It doesn’t solve the real issue at hand or get the girl any help.

We’ll have to see how it affects the show from here on out. I hope it’s not sunshine & roses immediately next week.

Comment by Christine – April 11, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree that the Sam moment where he had to be restrained was one of the most emotional of the night. His endless struggle to get Brittany was heart-breaking. He knew where she was and could not help. And it was that helplessness that brought me into this scenerio… I am not connected to social media the way the kids are on Glee (or people in general)… but I connected with the need to protect your family… Chord Overstreet was amazing in those scenes. And props to Coach and Schue for their turmoil in holding him back. Thoses scenes made the show.

Comment by RUCookie – April 12, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So agree with you. Chord definitely brought it in this episode.

Comment by Razz – April 12, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For all of you who have or will pick on this show you have completely missed the point. As to the hype on the show it was all driven by the idiots on message boards like these. I thought it was a great episode. If you are going to pick apart pieces of the show t\and ignore the whole i feel sorry for you

Comment by Boiler – April 11, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This ^^^

Comment by Jules – April 11, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • here here

Comment by sadie j – April 11, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen !

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <3. Amen to that.
      I enjoyed the episode and thought it was well done. I didn't feel that using Becky as the student with the gun was insensitive to those with Down syndrome; anyone of the Glee kids could have been the one with the gun. Kudos to Heather Morris and Coach Beiste/Mr. Shue in the choir room.

Comment by Kel – April 11, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That episode was absolutely heartbreaking. The acting done by Chord Overstreet and Heather Morris was just incredible and that’s saying a lot especially since Heather is not the strongest dramatic actor. While I felt the story line was a bit out of left field (in that glee is a comedy and I just never saw Becky as being one to bring a gun to school), it was done pretty well. I am still kinda shocked that Becky was the shooter but moved that Sue protected her. I actually thought that the shooter was going to be Ryder’s catfisher hence the reason why they were trying to get so close to him (to get information about the school). It concerns me that RIB is pulling too many headlines for the story telling. Can they not fabricate a fresh story line that hasn’t happened recently? First the castfishing and now the school shooting; the two story lines even overlapped. Also, if Glee does get picked up for season 5, I can’t see it taking place in McKinely AT ALL without having an antagonist in Sue Sylvester there to progress the story past sectionals/regionals/nationals. This would probably be good for the show in that at least 70% of viewers would rather see the original cast beyond McKinely.

Comment by Jillian – April 11, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found this episode to be really offensive to people with downes and school shootings. When i was in high school we went through lock down bc of a kid bringing a gun to school. It turned out to be a beebee gun but still. Its the most scary experience to go through. But worrying about online dating and a kid bringing a cat to school was stupid. I didnt like this episode at all.

Comment by A. – April 11, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No mention of Chord Overstreet’s amazing performance? He and Marley were the standouts for me this episode.

Comment by Samantha – April 11, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I really started crying hard when he was trying to escape to get to Brittany. I by no means ship Bram (really, who actually does?) but that was extremely moving. Chord is definitely one of the best dramatic actors on this show (his season 2 storyline with his siblings was heart wrenching)

Comment by Jill – April 11, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chord was amazing. I’ve liked him since day one. And I love the impressions. Funny!

Comment by Nikki – April 11, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was Heather and Marley for me.

Comment by kavyn – April 11, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chord was great and so was Blake.

Comment by Ruby – April 11, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After just going through a lock down training at my school (today as a matter of fact), this episode was especially raw. We never know how we’ll act in the moment but aside from the movement in the room (after the barricades are up) that was the best they could do in a scary situation.

Comment by Ryan – April 11, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been in a couple of lockdowns (and been locked out once). I think it says a lot about our times that the probability was high enough for a Glee viewer to have been involved in a lockdown situation today (even training).

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but it was quite random. I wish that if they had decided to do this storyline there would have been a little more buildup towards it in previous episodes. However, school shootings are spontaneous and can happen at any time I guess. I did appreciate the reduced number of songs in favor of the plot.
    I knew that Sue was covering for Becky the minute she admitted to it being her gun. No matter how awful Sue can be sometimes, she can still be a really good person. Her love for Becky was just amazing to watch. I’m amazed by the lengths she went through just to protect her. She sacrificed pretty much everything and her speech about how she was only going to be remembered for this one thing was just so sad.
    I love Brittany but sometimes her storylines are just so ridiculous its painful to watch, The whole singing to Lord Tubbington was just stupid and I believe there could have been a better was for them to bring up the “Last Chances” lesson than her dumb meteor storyline.

Comment by A – April 11, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie = Unique. #crazyobvious

Comment by KenBud – April 11, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They said IN THE EPISODE that it wasn’t Unique because that wasn’t her ringtone (which they said was a diva song that I can’t remember at the moment). The entire point I think was to remove her as the suspect in the first place. The people who say it’s Unique are either not paying attention or just don’t care.

Comment by Will – April 11, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can change ringtones now to be specific to a caller.

Comment by Gina – April 11, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the song in question was bootylicious, which i found pretty funny. but’s it’s a changeable detail, especially if unique changed it just for ryder. the point may have easily been to remove her from people’s minds so they’re shocked by the reveal.

Comment by achilles – April 13, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure it was Unique. She had her phone when Sam first crawled to the door. There were ten people in the choir room plus Brittany’s backpack. I rewatched that scene and everyone was shown with a cellphone in their hands except for Schue. Tina was running late to rehearsal, so her things weren’t in the room. So it’s Britt, Schue, a band member who wasn’t in the room, or a burner phone (which could then be anyone).

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wasn’t to drawn in by the shooting story-line. I’m much more interested in who Katie is. It is probably the girl in the band they panned to for a second when catfishing was mentioned. Though anyone could set a different ringtone for a specific caller, or use an app on their phone like Google Voice so they have multiple numbers on their smartphone. 3 different numbers can ring on my phone.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 12, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emotionally manipulative and completely unnecessary television that added nothing to a larger national conversation about school shootings and gun violence as a whole. Glee is often at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to taste and sense, but tonight it was the dead ladybug on the bottom of our country’s collective shoe. Television has done better and more meaningful work on this issue. Heck, even tottering ol’ Grey’s Anatomy has contributed something better to the topic of gun violence. Completely over-hyped and over-rated.

Comment by Penelope – April 11, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS. I could not agree more.

Comment by Ash – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t disagree more

Comment by Krista – April 11, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said – it was pitiful!

Comment by Bee – April 11, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely and utterly disagree with the above statement!!!

Comment by Kel – April 11, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truth. It was just pointless. Even One Tree Hill handled it better.

Comment by LaurenMC – April 12, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the episode was very well done and I was glued to the show … until we discovered it was really Becky and Sue. After that, it turned into a mess for me. I hated how it ended.

Comment by Judy – April 11, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was perfect, in my eyes. Sudden and harrowing, just like real shootings. The cast was incredible, the reminder that Becky isn’t like everyone else, though we should still treat her that way, the confessions and honesty between the ‘family’…I am so glad Glee went there.

I never thought I would say this, but I hope Sue comes back.

Comment by Charli – April 11, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you guys are talking about a down syndrome girl who felt alone. she broguht the gun to kill herself. atleast thats the way i saw it not to kill other students. Very good RYAN

Comment by Whitney Giddens – April 11, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bullcrap. If she had “accidentally” dropped it and someone got hurt, it STILL would not have been ok. She brought a gun to school where they are NOT allowed. Becky was wrong and should not have been covered for.

Comment by web – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I read that as suicidal, too.
      But regardless of her reason, web is right, bringing a gun to school for ANY reason is still beyond stupid and wrong.

Comment by Angela – April 11, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Having worked with students who were bullied until the point that they felt a need to bring a weapon to school for protection, nothing about this episode surprised me (though it caught me emotionally). Kids bring weapons to schools for all sorts of reasons. Having an outsider (even one who is as celebrated in their fictional world as Becky is) be the one who brought the gun was real to me. And having her emotional frailty be the why was also very real. That’s actually not that rare in this kind of “no harm” school shooting scenario.

Comment by Derik – April 11, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She didn’t bring the gun to kill herself. She was told by Brittany she needed to be prepared. She felt scared and unready to face the world. She brought the gun to feel safe, as a means of protection.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fully agreed that the scenes immediately after the gunfire where everyone was hiding out throughout the school were REALLY, deeply disturbing and unsettling to watch. The silence of the hallways and the lone sound of abandoned water running and all that…so eerie. I kept wanting to say, “Shhhhh!” every time someone talked or a phone went off myself! And yes, everyone preparing their goodbyes absolutely got me teared up. One can argue about whether or not the show handled this subject well, but I am sincerely sick to death of hearing people say it’s “too soon” to address this topic in general, or “now’s not the right time” or whatever. I just keep wanting to ask those people, “Okay, so give the the exact month, week, day, hour, AND minute when it WILL be the proper time to address this issue, then.”
    As for the whole thing with Becky, however? Very interesting twist, not at all where I thought the story would’ve gone (I knew Sue was covering up for someone when she was confessing and talking about the gun going off when it fell on the floor, but somehow Becky wasn’t the first person who came to my mind. I don’t know why). But I’m not sure if I would’ve gone that route were I writing the story. I dunno. Guess we’ll see how that plays out.

Comment by Angela – April 11, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. there will never be a “right time” to talk about gun violence in schools, and I think that’s part of the problem. if people keep shying away from the topic, we’ll never make any progress and school shootings will unfortunately continue. gun violence needs to be discussed! we need to give the issue a voice.

Comment by kbro – April 11, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no clue what this episode was about. I hadn’t seen any previews. I did cry a little but I’m more devistated that Sue is gone. I understand what Becky is going through having family members with downs, but very disappointed with it. I hope something happens that shows Sue didn’t do it and is able to come back.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 11, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I normally watch Glee but have no interest in watching a school shooting, even a fake one.

Comment by Jo – April 11, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of the episode is not really about the shooting.. more about cats, comets and how to show your love to your friends and families…

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awful. Some of the acting was really bad. I don’t think this is a topic Glee should tackle with its current writing staff and the actors on the HS side. Ryan did it better on AHS.

Comment by Kate – April 11, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t really compare it to AHS. One, that show is meant to scare you, two, it is on cable so you can do more.

I also think some of the acting tonight was amazing. Sam, whom I’ve never been a fan of, blew my mind. He was so great when he was worried about Brittney. Brittney also did an amazing job without even saying a word. When she was in the bathroom her non-verbals made me cry.

Comment by Holly – April 12, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is not the end of Sue (Jane Lynch) on glee. I loved this episode. One of the best in a while. The acting surprised me. They were emotionally accurate. I won’t be watching this episode again because I cried like a baby. If they keep writing like this there will be no need for the old crew in New York.

Comment by Tangie – April 11, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha… April’s fo—- wait, it was almost two weeks ago! Oh. OH! You were actually serious. Sorry.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The school shooting was nothing more than a plot convenience for cheap emotions. Sure, it was an emotional episode – but you could have put strangers in that situation and I would have felt for them.

The only consequence was Sue being fired, which doesn’t even seem heavy considering she’s a character who is largely without a point anymore and Jane Lynch deserves better. Personally, Becky should have been held responsible (and Sue fired) – she knows what a gun is, and she shouldn’t have messed with one.

Comment by Adam – April 11, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why should Sue have been fired if she didn’t do anything? Unless if you’re referring to later on when it’s revealed that Sue covered for her… But even then I still don’t see how Sue deserves to be fired for it.

Comment by kavyn – April 11, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do mean that Sue should be fired for covering for a student. What she did was illegal – there was an investigation going on and she both tampered with evidence and lied about what happened.

Comment by Adam – April 11, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, I mean she’s already been fired, so technically they wouldn’t have to do anything lol

Comment by kavyn – April 11, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have rather the shooter have been Ryder’s catfisher. Of course that would mean that the catfisher would be someone out of the Glee club but it would have been a less stereotypical storyline. It also would have provided some forshadowing for the past couple of episodes that would have provided depth to the show.

Comment by Jill – April 11, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Jane Lynch will return after her stint on Broadway! I’m sure she’ll be an awesome Miss Hannigan!

Comment by Sandye – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Jane Lynch is a terrifice actor unlike NeNe Leakes (Roz) who can’t act her way out of a paper bag. Why Ryan Murphy is so obsessed with her and keeps casting her in his shows is beyond me.

Comment by The Beach – April 11, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ryan gets obsessed with the most random things. There’s an out dot com article that describes his “tone meetings” for his shows. He basically tells the other writers to shoehorn in anything that catches his fancy, like a certain upcoming song for a guest star or the color orange. I get the impression that he can’t focus on anything for too long, so he’ll destroy something once he’s bored.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen both the One Tree Hill and the Degrassi takes on this issue, and I would personally put Glee right up with those two episodes. Taking into account just the parts of the episode in the darkened classroom/bathroom/cafeteria, it was scarily real and so full of emotion. I thought the metronome was an interesting touch to add to the tension as well.

Comment by Allison P – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur. The emotional depth displayed in in this episode is such a jarring contrast to the usually lighthearted Glee we’re used to. Well done.

Comment by Kel – April 11, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The third act was effective, but the whole episode was uneven. I haven’t seen the OTH or Buffy episodes, but I think the Degrassi one was better than Glee.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was disrespectful to those have experienced a shooting or lockdown to just chalk it up as a person mishandling a gun and to the Down Syndrome community. Also, let’s just ignore the fact that a student brought a gun to school. Way to go Glee and Fox you just taught kids watching this show that there may not be consequences for taking guns to school.

Comment by Ash – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.

Comment by Ali – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, when you consider all the talk from the right-wing about how guns are necessary for protection, and that there should be guns in schools to ensure safety…I wonder what kids are going to think. It does a lot more harm than Glee, I think.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Valid point, but most kids pay more attention to what they see on pop culture media than in the news and political media. Hopefully, parents or guardians are there to make sure they understand what they need to.

Comment by Ash – April 11, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think that’s true to some degree, but less true than it was maybe even ten years ago. Political arguments have gotten much…louder in the past five to ten years, perhaps as a result of the expansion of the internet and social media. I can’t go a single day without reading somebody’s extreme opinion on Facebook regarding one hot topic or another. When I was a child, I agree, I didn’t have that much exposure to the political media or people’s political opinions. I don’t know how true that is of today’s youth, though.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The most frustrating part is when you have school districts champing at the bit for teachers to conceal carry guns in schools. Do people really think that we’re living in the Wild West times or something? And I don’t even have a problem with open carry in certain places (i.e. not a bar, hospital, school, etc.). It just seems like a paranoia-fueled fantasy.

Having said that, the monologue by Sue in the principal’s office bothered me. It was like TPTB were rebuking anyone who wants armed teachers in schools. I don’t watch Glee for a lecture.

Comment by Blasto – April 11, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This insistence people have on teachers carrying weapons in schools grates me to no end. 1, ’cause, you know, it’s not like there wouldn’t be any danger of the teachers misinterpreting some situation and accidentally firing the gun, right? 2, given how there’s been stories of teachers sleeping with students, if the teacher owns a gun and has it at school, and the teacher and student have a bad breakup? That doesn’t scream “potentially problematic” to anyone? 3, there was a story I saw on “Snapped” once about a woman who worked as a teacher at a college. She was upset that she wasn’t getting tenure. She went into a faculty meeting…and shot at everyone in there, and wound up killing three people. People seem to always see this as “teachers=the ‘good guys’”, and for the most part that’s true, but some of them can be just as nasty and violent as a student could.
          The whole idea is just insane. NOBODY, I don’t care who you are, should be armed on a school campus. There’s no reason that needs to be happening.

Comment by Angela – April 12, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you can’t really argue yet that Glee is demonstrating no consequences – Becky was revealed as the person with the gun at the very, very end of this episode. not much time for consequences, in my opinion. hopefully these events will be addressed again in the future.

Comment by kbro – April 11, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. I can’t believe all the positive comments on here praising this episode when it basically taught people to cover up for misguided students who bring guns to school. It doesn’t matter that Becky has Downs or that she was confused, it still should have been reported, especially to her parents who obviously don’t lock up their guns. If only Sue knows what happened, and she’s leaving the school, what’s to stop Becky from bringing the gun back?

Comment by LaurenMC – April 12, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, the timing of this is pretty awful, but I’m not blaming Glee for that.

My former high school (I graduated 2 years ago) is about an hour away from Sandy Hook. Today there was a lock down because someone was believed to have a gun. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and it turned out that there was no gun present.

I have friends who are still there who were very shaken, some of whom watch Glee. I can just picture lots of kids from my school trying to relax and get their minds off the days events by watching Glee, only to have it shoved back in their faces.

I didn’t watch tonight’s episode, so I don’t know if they did this or not, but I certainly hope they had a warning before the episode.

Comment by madhatter360 – April 11, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did have a warning beforehand, yes.
      Very sorry to hear that kids at that school experienced a scare today, but also VERY happy to hear that it was a false alarm and everyone’s okay.

Comment by Angela – April 11, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see how the timing could NOT be blamed on Glee. Sandy Hook happened in the beginning of December. The episode wasn’t produced four months ago, it was produced well after the fact and essentially written in response to those events. If you need evidence, note that the Manti Te’o scandal occurred after Sandy Hook yet was a plot in this episode and preceding ones.

Comment by Adam – April 11, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am outraged by this episode of Glee. As an educator of students with special needs and general education students who watch the show I feel that this further demonized students with special needs. What was the intent behind this “very special episode” other than to sensationalize the reality of school violence? This was not entertainment, nor a way to open up a discussion about school violence. It was poorly written, insensitive and unnecessary.

Comment by Chris – April 11, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically, the only thing Becky did was bring the gun to school and ask Sue for advice. That doesn’t mean I disagree with you, but there is a difference between having Becky bring a gun and having her walk down the hallways shooting innocent people. Becky said it was her dad’s, so I’m under the impression she thought she could use it to ‘prepare herself’ like Brittany told her to do.

But yes, having Becky be the source of the lock down was really distasteful writing. It should have been a random student and not someone the viewers were already connected to, considering none of the characters have portrayed any signs of emotional instability in such a degree to commit a school shooting. They basically tarnished her character AND showed us that if you bring a gun to school you can get away with it (with Sue taking the blame).

Comment by kavyn – April 11, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just didnt think it was as powerful as I wanted it to be there performance was great but I just didn’t feel as gut wrenched when I saw the one tree hill episode of school violence I think there were too many things going on and I wished they highlighted their talents more and I just didnt l ike that becky was the shooter

Comment by kaitie – April 11, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode was handled well enough overall, but I’m most struck and saddened by Ausiello’s “the sad fact is Sandy Hook wasn’t the first tragedy of its kind, nor will it be the last. So perhaps it’s folly to debate the timing of such an episode:”

I remember when the “Buffy” episode “Earshot” – which was written and produced before the Columbine shootings but was scheduled to air just after – wasn’t aired until the following fall out of sensitivity to the victims and the nation’s genuine shock. Now we consider it “folly” to debate timing after elementary students have been gunned down because mass shootings have almost become commonplace, and NRA supporters heckle grieving parents without a hint of shame or self-awareness. How very far we’ve come as a society in just 14 years…

Comment by Liz Weaver – April 11, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad, but true.
      I’m beyond sick of the NRA. They’ve behaved so callously about this whole topic-I wish they’d just shut up for once.

Comment by Angela – April 11, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slezak -not Ausiello.

Comment by Nikki – April 11, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Ben – April 12, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really Slezak? A positive review for this offensive drivel? I thought you were better than that. Making school shootings into entertainment was wrong. It’s even worse that they made the only developmentally delayed person on the show the shooter, considering people are trying to link Aspergers with schools shootings. Additionally, Glee is nothing without the NYC cast. They want to see drama, they need to actually use their good actors. Chris Colfer, Lea Michelle, and Nay Riviera are too good for this show at this point.

Comment by No NYC NO Glee For Me – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well by that logic, making rape, and war and serial killing into entertainment is wrong too. But we still have things like SVU, Dexter, etc. Culture doesn’t just exist to be entertaining. It also exists as a platform for societies to think through their stances on moral and political issues. I’m not therefore saying Glee did it well. (I actually don’t know. I didn’t watch the episode). My point is more that this attitude in general seems dubious to me. I think our entertainment fails us if it doesn’t also sometimes get us to ask difficult questions. Of course there are respectful, tactful ways to do it, and there are insensitive and offensive ways to do it, and that should of course be debated.But the idea that every time a pop culture venue takes on a sensitive issue it is just crassly capitalizing seems contestable to me. Culture can’t shy away from the ugly, tragic parts of life. In fact, that’s part of why culture exists – its supposed to help us think through those things.

Comment by RachelA – April 12, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • here here! Yes, it is a sensitive topic and that it why it needs to be addressed, looked at, contimplated and reviewed (by everyone not just the NRA and our legislators bought by the NRA). I am all for being respectful BUT we can’t hide behind that nor can we use it as a deflector shield whenever there is an issue that needs public debate.

Comment by RUCookie – April 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as Sue said it was her gun you knew it was really going to be Becky.

Comment by Dj – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I KNEW it was Becky!!

Comment by Libby – April 11, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the statement is a mentally challenged person SHOULDN’T have unsupervised access to a gun. SO with this regard it’s actually quite on the money

Comment by Para – April 11, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. I feel as though that point has been missed for the most part.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • all they will take away from this is a downs kid got hold of a gun – so it really does not count. I have already seen this.

Comment by Bee – April 11, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What have you already seen? And if they’re taking away that a child with Down Syndrome got ahold of a gun, and that that’s a bad thing…well, that’s not the worst message to take away from this episode. It’s a sad reality that there are people who own guns and allow them to fall into the hands of those who do not understand how dangerous they are and why they should not bring them to school.

Comment by popculture420 – April 11, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i agree!!!! I think this episode is so much better than oth one!!

Comment by Para – April 11, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s even worse when you’ve got someone who has mental health issues and are allowed to buy guns. Similarly, it can be inferred that Becky was getting depressed and was scared about graduating. I don’t understand why there isn’t more hate going towards Becky’s mom. Unless we’re to believe Becky went into a gun shop, asked for a gun, and judging by our gun laws, was allowed to purchase one even if she reasonably shouldn’t be in possession of one.

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am more offended by your use of “downs kid” to describe a person with Down Syndrome than by this episode.

Comment by Anna – April 11, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt this episode was great until the end. It showed how high schoolers stress about things that seem important at the time (cats not returning love). But in a split second your life changes. The students think about the last words they had said to the people that are the most important to them. However,, Sue taking the blame for a student bringing a gun to school, Down’s syndrome or not, was unacceptable. Becky needs help not a scapegoat.

Comment by Typhoonred – April 11, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What makes you think she isn’t going to get help> What makes you think they won’t explore this in the next few episodes? Did you already watch these episodes that haven’t aired yet? Please share with us. And is this Lord Tubbington?

Comment by O-town – April 15, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post